PDA

View Full Version : Beginings of the End (IC)

Dracio
2014-04-12, 06:46 PM
Caelumundi is a world like few others as it has gone through many ages of destruction and rebirth. The current age of the world is Aerterrae and it is in this age that many great mysteries have appeared with little to no answers. The first being that there are ancient tomes that tell of a time when the great islands of the world did not always float on a sea of cloud, however; little else is known beyond this as most knowledge in regards to this ancient time are lost to the winds of time. What is known is that there are four great islands that float above the cloud layer and it is on these continents that the races of the world continue to thrive. These four great islands are called Cthabo the Primal Lands, The forgotten depths Mihotlotle, Har-dhat the Isle of Change, and finally Athar. Below these four great islands and their smaller cousins lies the great cloud sea the covers the whole of the world and hides one the greatest mysteries of the age. Though the clouds can be penetrated easily none that have gone down have ever been seen risen again to tell their tale. At times ghost ships will appear out of the cloud layer in ruin and with no crew or remains.

Of the four great islands the lands of Athar are the most significant as within its borders lies the most stable and successful land of the world and the four greatest kingdoms of the known modern world. The first of these nations is the Empire of the Twilight Cross a nation that prides itself on its fairness to its different parts and citizens. The Empire has also built many a temple and church to the gods to bring about their favor. Of the four kingdoms this Empire is the most devout in the land. Realm of Cymerian is country ruled by an iron fisted Overlord though despite this the country can seem a paradox to the uninformed. The country and its ruler care only about one thing and that is efficient progress and it is this ideal that has made them quite wealth and at the side time soured their reputation in the world. There is a cultural caste system that dominates that larger city but if a being is found to be ruthlessly efficient and shows potential they can be given the chance to bypass this system. In Athar Cymerian is the most prosperous of the great powers that rule the land. Next comes the great Mao-Lik Empire a land ruled by ancient traditions that have caused great peace and stability for its people. The Empress who rules is said to be old and wise but still able to lead her troops into battle against monster and bickering neighbors. The Empire is comprised of a unique feudal system that has allowed it to progress with times and progress but keep the power in the hands of the lords and mostly Dames of the land. Lastly is the reclusive and shadowy nation the Celestial Kingdom Morgethic whose borders are surrounded in an unnatural fog and guard by watch towers on the perimeter. Little is known of this land as they do not like outsiders and what information that does pass beyond its borders is censored heavily or carried covertly by spies.

The technology level of the kingdoms is high medieval combined with magic to produce marvelous inventions. Airships dominate the skies at times for fast shipping, luxury passenger liners, and military purposes, while on the ground a slower counterpart known Nexus Rail runs on magically charged tracks that produce artificial ley lines for the trains to move about. At times ancient tombs or dungeons are located that hold powerful or incredibly ancient wonders from the bygone past that defy explanation. It is also here that one of the other great mysteries lies for most airships are restricted in size and produced solely by an independent free city-state. There is one exception to this and it is the source of horror stories and nightmares, a colossal airship that defies all the laws of nature and magic known only as Deathbeak to the world. Deathbeak moves about the world randomly and always emerges from and disappears into the cloud sea often taking any ships near it down to their death. A constant heavy storm always surrounds the airship where it may stalk but due to this it rarely journeys near land. The few times it does though unexplainable things and gruesome events tend to happen before it quickly departs. Many have tried to board it not many make it past the storm and rarely to any ever leave it whole in body and or mind.

This world has seen many stories come to past and before this age end many more will come to past. Currently though events are about to come to pass that have not been seen in many a year and the waves they make in the waters of history may come to disturb the slumber of things best left alone. A story in the making a chapter in time yet to be written but even now the cast is being drawn together for the first act, the setting the Realm of Cymerian in the capital city Luclin where the Overlord is throwing a special party where the guests though perhaps not lords or ladies are dressed as such and all carrying a little red envelop. Each such guest is a sword for hire, a spellcaster, an adventure, cleric, or thief. For them it was a strange and simple day started or ended with a little red letter stating that their presence was “requested” by the Overlord in Luclin for a special party that he expects them to not ignore his wishes and attend.

Eshkigal
2014-04-13, 12:04 AM
Nepeth was one of the early arrivals, coming in garb that he is obviously very uncomfortable in, and it took a while to talk his halberd away from him, even when his armor was easily given over. It was a part of his Duty, so it was rarely away from him normally...
But that's getting ahead of things. The muscular man stands taller than the norm, with blue, piercing eyes scanning the crowd to see if anyone looks interesting to talk to. A few faces had caught his eye so far, but he had yet to go over and meet any personally. His hair is cropped short, probably to avoid giving an opponent something to grab onto, and one arm is bare even despite the fine clothing he was given at the gate, sleeve rolled up to let the word HEMAH show on his right arm, burned there in celestial runes about 60 years ago now. Right now, he's looking to see who looks like an interesting person to talk to.

MesiDoomstalker
2014-04-13, 12:06 AM
Basil stood idly in the foyer, gently clicking his claws against each other in impatience. Orakio was notoriously bad at being consistent. Basil glanced at the grandfather clock that ticked away the seconds as other shuffled about. It is already 6:03 Orakio. Can't you be on time for once. Basil growled, mostly to himself.

Esprit15
2014-04-13, 12:29 AM
Garnet looks around. The upperclass-ness of things is a little unnerving to the paladin from a small town. She looks around to see who else was here. Assorted humanoid animals and... Oh boy, an aasimar. Garnet makes a particular effort to not interact with him. Good or no, she did not want to deal with someone who probably was praised like a f*ucking blessing from the heavens. At the very least, she wanted to wait and see why they were called.

Dragonsage
2014-04-13, 12:54 AM
Jade arrives early, since she had little else to do in the city. She was glad that her robes met the standards for the required formal wear, since it meant she didn't have to get all dolled up in some fancy dress. Although she did invest some time in grooming her hair and fur, so that the nobles wouldn't become offended by unkempt manner she usually kept it. As an extra measure, she made sure to keep her tail wrapped around her waist so that no one would touch it by accident while she attended.

Once she got over the fact that they wouldn't allow her to keep her staff, the Vanaran druid wandered the crowd in search of someone interesting to interact with while she waited to find out why they were gathered. After a bit of moving through the crowds, she notices an annoyed looking Ursa standing by the foyer. She noticed him on the way in but didn't pay him no mind until now and deemed him in needing of some cheering up.

She approaches the bear from behind, unwrapping her tail before using it to tickle his side while she stood a short distance beside him.

Eshkigal
2014-04-13, 01:10 AM
While the bear looked interesting, and the monkey looked...well, frankly delicious after growing up on Cthabo, and the crowd being interesting, the first one to talk to on his list is actually the one least interested in talking, the tiefling with the white hair and grey-blue eyes. He walks over, careful to not step on someone's tail (dear god why do so many of the people on this island have tails) and nods to her.
"Hi, nice horns."
He offers the covered arm for a handshake, and sounds completely sincere with his comment.
"Name's Nepeth, and yours?"

MesiDoomstalker
2014-04-13, 01:14 AM
Basil glanced sideways at the Vanaran, before batting her tail away. Begone Vanaran. I don't have time for your antics. I have a... compatriot to scold.

Esprit15
2014-04-13, 01:17 AM
"Garnet. What do you want." Horns. Of course he comments on the horns.

BluesEclipse
2014-04-13, 01:20 AM
Orakio steps into the hall, a dour look on his face as he scans the room. As if it's not bad enough that I have to wear this getup, he thinks, seeing Basil and making his way towards his brother, but telling me to leave my blade... I didn't even want to spend the time here with a bunch of pompous bastards in the first place... Reaching Basil, he ignores the Vanaran next to him and asks his brother, "So, has anyone explained just why we had to come to this thing yet?"

MesiDoomstalker
2014-04-13, 01:22 AM
You are 4 minutes late Orakio. And no, I have not been informed of anything. He growled low, his annoyance with the tardiness and lack of info obvious.

BluesEclipse
2014-04-13, 01:25 AM
"Be glad I decided to show at all," Orakio responds, "especially after they told me I'd have to leave my sword with them to come in. You know how much work I put into that thing..."

Eshkigal
2014-04-13, 01:28 AM
Nepeth slowly drops the arm, wondering if that was a touchy subject.
"Mostly curious. Only ever knew my brother while on Cthabo...or well, the only other that was always around until his daughter was born, and you're the first I've met with bony protrusions like the previous Headsman had, and we only saw his funerary mask and drawings of him."
He pauses again.
"If it helps, they definitely look better than having 20 eyes like Mertul or Ankat."

Esprit15
2014-04-13, 01:36 AM
"Other? I assure you, we are not the same, certainly not of even similar lineage. Do you normally decide that deformities are a good topic to break the ice with ladies? I assure you, it's not. I take it you were invited here by the Overlord as well?"

Eshkigal
2014-04-13, 01:52 AM
"Deformities? Never thought of them that way, honestly. Thought of them like eye color, or hair, but less likely to sound like bard talk."
He looks confused by that line of thought, but quickly moves on.
"Look, you looked like you knew how it feels to be set apart, like you knew what it's like with people worrying that you're around as if you're about to make fire rain from the sky when you can't even make a spark, by being a child when your friends are old and grey, and I just wanted to talk to someone else who might know that feeling since then both of us wouldn't feel so out of place and it would be nice to finally make a friend outside of family. If I am mistaken, I will leave you alone and trouble you no more, may Kord strike me down where I stand if I am lying. Fair?"
Man, was he out of practice actually talking to people outside kin. I wonder what aasimar foot tastes like

Esprit15
2014-04-13, 02:10 AM
Calm down. What would Darius say? He's trying to be nice, just hit a bad subject. Take a breath... Now let it out... "Sorry. It's... You hit a sore subject. You didn't strike me as an outcast."

Eshkigal
2014-04-13, 02:36 AM
Nepeth nods, finally understanding a bit, he thinks.
"I apologize for that, I did not realize. Anyway, while they had my brother and I forged by the shaman to serve as the mouth and hands of the law of Kord, that does not mean we were exactly welcome within the tribe any more than was strictly necessary, because we were not of their clans despite being made of their flesh, so...useful untouchables, I guess. But I am doing all the talking, and that must surely bore you. Would you like to share at all?"

Esprit15
2014-04-13, 04:09 AM
"Well where to start... I don't know who my parents were. I got dropped off at the church since before I could remember... You know just how despised a tiefling orphan is? People threw rocks at me when I went outside. You had fear; I had revulsion. Your ancestry is at least seen as a religious blessing. Mine is an evil that just follows myself and will curse my descendants, should I ever be so lucky. When I tell people that I am a servant of Pelor, you know what they say? Nothing. They just laugh.

I grew slower than everyone else, but you know how that is: nobody who actually grows up with you ever lives to see you as an adult, and all the people who look your age have no idea who you are because as far as they are concerned, you were always just a crazy shut-in at the church. Those who did show me kindness are now several years dead.

You want to know why we so often end up as violent, or evil, or jaded? Everyone assumes that since we're descended from internals or abyssals, we have to act like them. When I tell people that I do my very best to uphold the high standards of Good that is expected of a paladin, they say I can't do it because I'm born Evil. Nobody is born Evil. We make choices, and our environment shapes those choices. When everyone expects Evil from you, you meet that expectation." Spittle doesn't fly from her mouth, if only because she stopped before getting animated enough to do that. Her fangs do show very clearly, however. That was not all supposed to come out. Maybe... A fifth of that? Less. Garnet looks a lot more like a Ruby rift now, bright red from her unintentional rant. "Um... So yeah... Do you know what type of lineage you do come from?" Yep, bright red.

Dragonsage
2014-04-13, 08:54 AM
Jade narrows her eyes at the two bears as she was simply pushed aside and ignored, but still they seemed interesting enough to keep interacting with. "So, your compatriot I take it? He's only a few minutes late and nothing hasn't even started yet, I'd say there would be no need for scolding."

Eshkigal
2014-04-13, 10:13 AM
As she talks, Nepeth's smile turns into a frown, then a grimace of anger for a moment at the mention of people laughing and mocking her for trying to have merit beyond what they saw in her. After a few seconds, it returns to a more reserved frown, trying to not let the wrath flow freely, it wasn't time for that now. Instead, he pats her on a shoulder, and with measured breath tells her.
"Those people who have judged, their opinions...f*** them. The gods have faith in you, in your merit. In your strength of self and strength of merit. The path of a paladin won't be easy with your experiences, and you may stumble, but the gods will always have faith in you, and so will I. Kord teaches that you are possibly the most admirable of people, because rather than give in to the hate people tried to instill in you, you strive to be good, and in the end that is all that matters. Your friends are proud from where they watch over you, at Pelor's side."
After calming down more, he shows her his brand.
"I have it marked on me as my halo has branded me. I am descended from righteous Wrath. One that seemed to like frogs a lot, because they tend to flock to me."
The last bit is partially to see if he can get a laugh from Garnet, but it's still true. While useful, you do get sick of frog legs fast...

Esprit15
2014-04-13, 01:24 PM
Garnet does laugh. "Frogs... I can honestly say I never saw that before... From the sound of it, it was likely something infernal. Perhaps a succubus. But thank you for that. I haven't exactly met someone similar, even if from the opposite edge of the planes. You're more understanding than I would expect."

Eshkigal
2014-04-13, 02:49 PM
Nepeth gives a smile and a shrug.
"What can I say? Kord's an understanding god, and his teachings are what I grew up with as part of my molding. All he truly wants in his followers is that they are strong enough to help lift the weak up and shoulder the burdens of others, brave enough to do so, and care enough to continue no matter what, even if it requires a stern hand at times when people seek harm upon others. What you may be born as doesn't matter compared to what you do with life, and Pelor knows that too, as you make evident. People just forget that part."

Nimor
2014-04-13, 07:15 PM
Traveling by the diminishing sunlight, Nobu Minoru Michi arrives to the party well after it has started (about 6:40pm). Walking up to the guards at the front gate, Minoru presents him with the invitation and a cute wink. Accepting the invitation the guard looks her up and down. The guard notices that this unkempt girl’s robes are, while up to the dress code, quiet dirty and worn. “Miss, you attire is not appropriate for the party. A dress will be provided to you and you must check your weapons.”

Giving the guard another wink Minoru says {in elvish}, ”No need sir. I can provide my own attire.” Giving up her weapons, she takes and step back and chants in a strange language. Her robes shine so bright that the guard loses sight of Minoru for a moment. Upon see her again her robes look as those they had just be made. Not a bit of dirt or worn cloth to be seen. He also notices that she is actually quite beautiful. “You may enter the party Miss.”

Minoru gives one last wink and a smile she says {in elvish}, ”Thank you good sir.” Entering the party, Minoru weaves effortlessly through the people, almost as if she was accustomed to this style of life. Minoru heads to the bar and begins to sample the food and spirits provided.

Dracio
2014-04-13, 08:21 PM
At 7:00 pm it appears that all the guests have arrived that are coming and the guests have moved into the main hall/ballroom of the Palace grounds. During your time so far you all have nibbled at or wholeheartedly eaten the provided foods and drink. As you look among the others gathered you notice a multitude of other races and the way these beings walk, talk, or hold themselves gives you an insight that they walk as many different professions as there colors in the world. From the smallest gnome to the tallest half-orc and the mundane humans to the exotic catfolk or kitsune many are gathered in the hall waiting for the same thing as you. Soon the clock strikes 7:05 pm and horns are blown out across the halls, the music dies, armored knights march into the room closing off all escape ways and flank en-mass a grand set of doors that are shoved open with a might force. Through his now open portal into the Palace depths strides a man large enough to stare down on all within at 8' tall clad in the unmistakable and masterfully crafted full-plate forged from pure adamantine. He stops several long paces in his flanks guard by mithrial silver clad knights wielding long blades as black as night held upright and against their chest ready for action.

The tall figure looks about the assembled host and speaks in a deep booming voice, "Welcome my honored guests to this wonderful Ball I have thrown in your honor. Fore it is you fine souls that will be of great aid to the great and mighty Realm of Cymerian so please finish your food and your drink for soon thy shall know little rest in my employ. Now any questions my meat puppets?"

Eshkigal
2014-04-13, 09:26 PM
Such odd phrasing, and such a cocky tone, but that is to be expected when you run a country based entirely on personal merit...Nepeth looks around, before stepping forward, deciding even if it may not be the smart thing, it had to be asked. I mean, even with the rather effective pressganging, it may still be better to die if this played out as he was slightly afraid it might.
"One, Overlord. What duties do you expect of us, my Liege?"

Dracio
2014-04-13, 09:56 PM
The Overlord stares down at Nepeth with the briefest hint of a scowl showing before he speaks once more his words easily carrying throughout the large hall.
"At least something in this room is daft enough to speak his mind so openly and for that I shall reward you with a few answers. To our north lies the mysterious Celestial Kingdom Morgethic so beholden to their mystique that they have erected watch towers and checkpoints across their whole border. Too long have our spies failed to penetrate deeply into their lands, too long has their army grown large with power we can only imagine, too long have their secrets prove to be both threat and bargaining chip to the rest of the world. Till now our information has been worthless detritus spewed across a map backed by theoretical figures...that is till now.

For the first time in years I do not even wish to count a spy has returned from that shrouded land bearing news. Their lands are plentiful and rich while their forces though large and not fat grow weary with laziness, and most of all secrets thought kept from the outside world now are revealed to me. Things that can not be passed up nor ignored for other gains if we are to continue to grow and prosper, things too dark to let live in the shadows. Even I am no fool in what this means to us and so I have gathered you here in order to bring about the end to this game of charades with them for soon we deal with this threat personally.

That is where you all come in as an army can not go into the unknown with good odds so our first step to ensure victory is to send you lot in to gather information to hand off to my army so that losses are kept to a minimal. All of you shall be joined into groups of 5 or more and trained to work together and to learn the skills needed of you in the coming days. Once that is done you will be sent into their land to gather information to relay back to us. Those that survive shall be rewarded and those of you that fall shall be forgotten in the sands of time. Now then anymore questions or acts of stupidity from you lot?"

Esprit15
2014-04-13, 10:36 PM
Garnet looks around before speaking up. "So in other words, we are your newest recruitment of spies." She could understand why he was being so verbose. Her way of putting it was indeed both less grand and less appealing, but it seemed less misleading as well. "And while I mean no disrespect, my Liege, why find many of us who are less suited to espionage, if that is your primary goal? Would not those already skilled in such activities be preferable?"

Dragonsage
2014-04-14, 03:03 AM
Jade wasn't happy to find out that she got herself groomed just to find out that she was being drafted into a secret spy army. She looked about the room before fixing her sight on the woman who posed the second question. The Vanaran patiently waited for the answer to the question. Surely there were those with proper training could be better expected to carry out this task rather than a random druid who was invited out of the blue.

Dracio
2014-04-14, 09:43 AM
The Overlord's gaze turns to the Tiefling and softens ever so slightly it is barely seen before diving back into a rant.

"Well girl I have found that of late those spies who know only their job seem to never return from these lands which seems completely opposite of the fact everywhere else. Send a spy lose a spy send an adventure who knows what to look for but is still an adventure at the core and they have a chance to return with information. As well as the fact that you adventuring types seem to always some how some way make into places of doom and death better than most other beings who walk different paths. The best cover story is the one that is not a lie after all.

Those of you who live long enough for the invasion to occur might also find use during as you will know what to sabotage before our armed might strikes a location. After all is this not what you all desire? Adventure, Treasure, and glory. Besides I have already sent in the yearly quota of spies and only one has returned with any information at all and they were an adventurer before this so I figured why not try again with more."

Esprit15
2014-04-14, 11:49 AM
The tiefling nods, only just noticing the odd softening of the rather un-soft man. But his explanation makes sense, and she nods.

MesiDoomstalker
2014-04-14, 06:13 PM
Basil chortled at the ridiculous man's request. One golden goose and you send a whole flock? You are correct, adventurers tend to get into places most others can't but you have forgotten the one royalty adventures pay fealty towards. Lord Gold.

Dracio
2014-04-14, 07:12 PM
Basil has drawn the gaze of the Overlord as it turns fiery and the scowl once more tugs at his features while his tone darkens slightly.

"This is no mere golden goose boy as many do not return at all let alone with useful information from that place. So tell me why shouldn't I send a"flock" of adventures who need but a little training rather than a small horde or agents who require months if not years of work to make them valuable. Have you also not paid heed to history and stories told by bards? Lord Gold as you put it indeed is a powerful figure for your kind but there are other powers that be and especially one that trumps gold. Throughout history beings have adventured for gold yes but knowledge, power, ancient artifacts, and probably most importantly of all for life itself. Some of the grandest of adventures have taken on the most epic of quests not to gain riches though they did but for the singular fact that if they failed or did not then their lives would be naught and death at their door or the throats of their loved ones.

Now I did say the survives would be rewarded, however; there is a better reason you should not refuse my offer little bear. And that is for the strongest of reasons to ride for your kind the will to live and survive for another day.

Each of you tonight has feasted in some way on the delicacies provided to you and it is in these simple things that I have snared you all beyond the promise of reward. What was place in what I ate you ask yourselves... well that is simple a poison most foul one that is rather hard to cure magically and almost impossible in mundane ways. By morning you will all be dead in most horrifying ways... but that is of course only if you refuse my call for your aid and do not accept my quest." The Overlord begins to smile near the end and continues as he waits for the next being to talk.

Esprit15
2014-04-14, 07:24 PM
Oh joy, poison. A surprise and not a surprising one at that. "So, when do we start?" She could get angry at being poisoned, but that would be a waste. What mattered now was being cured.

Dracio
2014-04-14, 08:17 PM
His gaze travels once more to the tiefling and loses its edge as he answers her question.

"When the questions are finish a few of officers will divide you into groups as they see fit take your oaths of loyalty and send you to receive your magical cure and collar of course those of you with deceit to your oath of loyalty will be found out and culled before we even begin the training. In the morning you shall start your training and should you all live your groups will be sent to key points on the border and at the appointed hour proceed to try and infiltrate the Celestial Kingdom. Do well and I will have no need to shackle you or test your loyalty after all I reward those who service me. No hard feelings its just more efficient this way is all.

After he is finished an enchanting and stern looking Tiefling woman in a military uniform sets forward at the head of what could only be the small group of officers mention. She speaks in a crisp manner than demands attention and for some reason stirs the imagination, "Alright maggots have you had your fill of the honor of speaking to our Overlord or are you still trying to bask in his glory?"

Eshkigal
2014-04-14, 08:42 PM
Nepeth had been staring in shock, before he snarls shortly before the lady comes out, this time letting his halo out, a sight of blood red and charred black, fiery chains as he shouts, staring at the Overlord.
"A man of your reputation, and you seek only to strong arm us with threats of death? We dive into such situations freely, why would the thought of death on the morrow cow us? I do not care for your gold, your trinkets, or your promises of bardsong! I do care for the mention of blight in their lands, though! I would have gladly went to dispose of that, lord!"
He stares forwards, keeping his eyes locked upon the lord of this land.
"Strike me down if you see fit, but I cannot believe a man who puts so much on merit would stoop so low! That you would hold yourself so cheap as to require the threat of the noose upon our necks to gain our blades! To hold us so cheaply is forgiveable, it is no different than we hold ourselves! But to hold that faith in yourself so cheap, when ruling a kingdom built by faith in the merits of your own work?! How can you do that?!"

Dracio
2014-04-14, 09:07 PM
The Overlord turns his end to the Asimar raises an eyebrow and tilts his head in contemplation for a moment before sadly shaking his head at him.

"There may once of been a time when the merits of others, bonds, and oaths were enough to ensure loyalty to task and lord but sadly those days are no more among us than the lands below us. In this world of ours betrayal is more than a rare circumstance and to those who hold power it is a shadow that no amount of light may banish. You think it easy to rule an empire and have those below follow your lead in times both light and dark. It is not and ever is there those who wish you harm so they can claim your coveted position. No our methods are sound and wise fore it weeds out those who would see us crumble and gives the chance for those who are true to rise. This is not merely a collar but a test to prove your trust and worth and should you survive and wish no more then you may be gone from my service. Though if you prove yourself and yearn for grander things whether material in riches or the immaterial thrill of adventure and daring then stay after all is done.

Asimar for your words though they may be spoken foolishly I give you an offer. Prove to me there is still honor in the measuring of merit and show me that it still coincides with heart and mind and you will be judged as such. Fail and you merely prove my point that to trust merit alone is to be ignorant of the intentions behind it.

But KNOW THIS the simple world you see around you is but a tiny facet of the one we live in. The worldly lens of politics quickly colors everything differently. I stoop no lower than I have nor those before me to ensure my lands are safe and that things carry on smooth even if our ways make others think we are evil or barbaric!"
With that he turns back to being passive as if the conversation had been nothing more than talk of weather.

Nimor
2014-04-14, 09:19 PM
Having remained quiet the whole time, slowly eating the food, even after being told it was poisoned. Minoru steps forward through the crowd of people to the front. Speaking in elvish, Minoru says with a wink and courtesy ”I am at your service.” That being said she will let herself be lead where every they need her to go.

Eshkigal
2014-04-14, 09:27 PM
Nepeth watches the Overlord, listening carefully. Over the course of the speech, his halo slowly diminishes, until he is standing there unadorned by magic. However, the same fire of rage doesn't really die in his eyes, as he sharply nods to the back of the Overlord before turning to the tiefling officer, looking directly at her and unwavering.
"When do we begin?"

BluesEclipse
2014-04-15, 12:53 AM
Orakio listens to the questions, and the Overlord's responses, thankful that Basil and others voiced their concerns before he said something that got him and his brother killed. Turning to the Tiefling woman, he says, "Hmph... if my brother's fine with this, then that's fine by me. I better be getting my blade back, though - it wasn't exactly easy to make."

Dragonsage
2014-04-15, 01:37 PM
Poison... just lovely. If one had to poison their subjects and hired mercenaries to convince them to do something, then perhaps they shouldn't be in charge. In ether case, the Vanaran made a point to be more cautious with free meals in the future. "I suppose I've found my way here for a reason. Your will, my hands." Jade went along with the crazy demands, because she believed that this may be a path to something greater.

Dracio
2014-04-15, 06:14 PM
The Overlord seeing that none of the other guests are bringing up questions and just mumbling to themselves departs the great hall back through the door he entered through. Only the knights that were directly flanking him leave with him as the rest continue to stay and keep watch. Once the doors close the officers immediately disperse through the crowd judging and separating the different people into groups scattered across the great hall. A few of the guests refuse to take any part in this and loudly claim it a charade as they are hauled off into side doors but most ignore them and think otherwise. As for the six of you, find that the Tiefling Officer who spoke before has rounded you all up and placed you in a corner of the hall away from others. Once the selection is done she approaches your small group with a wicked smile plastered across her face.

She stands just over 6ft. tall with short hair the color of arterial blood, her skin a slight bronze, eyes the orange of molten iron/ A long tail gently sways behind her and two curved black horns sprout from her forehead and travel along the top of her terminating in fine points at the back of her skull. She is endowed and most would claim her beautiful but the crisp uniform and authoritative demeanor say she doesn't entertain foolish thoughts well. When she reaches you all her voice is smooth but with hints sharp edges one would expect of a career officer. "Well..well..well what have I caught here six brave enough or perhaps foolish enough to direct questions to the Overlord and in tones I might add that were not as wise as they should of been. But don't worry your antics and talk have amused our lord enough that I have decided to make you all my special friends for the next month of training. Now follow me children we have work to do."

With that she specifically leads you through a side door and down many a darkened corridor till eventually you reach a simple wooden door with what looks like runes etched into it. However you are quickly lead inside before you can inspect it further and into a hexagonal room that is quite large. The room is decorated as if it were inhabited by a mix of alchemists, wizards, and what could only be described as implements belonging to a witch doctor from a book. In the center stands a somewhat short being covered in fetishes, bones, feathers, beads, and a large mask over their head. It is currently standing over a cauldron stirring it and adding in what could only be random ingredients. After a few moments the Tiefling leaves and shuts door claiming she will be back to pick you up after you are done with things here. Once she is gone the figure in the middle of the room turns to you before gesturing you all forward and speaking in a voice that crackles softly with a tone like the beat of a hand drum.

"Ah visitors from Overlord yes. Come to help us deal is dark shadow rising in north, deep shadow slowly darkening land, yes good he listen to warnings finally. Great spirit told of shadow that make sun not rise there, make big problem for those who call it out of slumber. You come for medicine yes, you come for little collar to ensure you stay out of shadow. Great spirit help with that, make sure you not fall to dark ones. She-devil like you yes, great spirit like you, make sure the sun rises to light your path yes." With that he fills little clay tea bowls with a purplish mixture and urges you to drink it while he rattles bones around you and magic floods the room. When he is done and you all have drank the mixture you notice it was sweet and juicy.

"Tell nekcihc you go not just from force used yes, you seek other things things not easily measured in worldly things but measurable by the spirits yes? If so do you wish to call on spirits to aid you if they find you worthy to prove self to them? Perhaps you help spirits ensure that they can wake the slumber of great sun to lighten world and banish shadows of dark ones yes?" As Nekcihc he goes about collecting various things in the room and placing them into small bags with a spring in his step.

Eshkigal
2014-04-15, 06:43 PM
Nepeth nods, having calmed back down fully as they had been waiting, slowly getting hungry again thinking of dishes made from monkey again.
"Word of shadows to the north is...troubling. I wish to see what dangers that may threaten others hide there, and deal with them before they emerge into the daylight to work there as well. What insight can you give into them?"

Nimor
2014-04-15, 06:46 PM
With a simile appearing on her face {in elvish}, ”Nekcihc, I will help you seek out the dark shadows.” The simile never fades though her eyes show with an otherworldly fire.

Dracio
2014-04-15, 06:59 PM
Nekcihc eventually finishes whatever he was doing and once more approaches the group with six very small bags with strings hanging from his closed hand.

"Nekcihc not know what shadows do in north just that great spirit tells him of their coming. Great spirit tells of dark ones plans to make great sun slumber to wrest great power of sun call from the followers of light. Nekcihc just shaman of great spirit and its will, duty give blessing to little ones starting on path of great spirit. He sees potential in you like egg yet unhatched, wonders if you follow the spirits of the sun callers. Tell Nekchic what would you do if Great spirit of sun callers looks upon you, are you afraid of might or do you wish for they to always be able to call out great sun from slumber. They are half of balance and neither half can be lost. What say you to Nekcihc and Great Spirit?"

MesiDoomstalker
2014-04-15, 07:12 PM
Basil snorted in derision. Keep your spirits and your folklore to yourself witchdoctor. I have no need for your nonsense. If the 'spirits' could guide me then I'd be back at the library and far away from this madness. He crossed his arms defensively, snorting and looking down and away. He shuffled off, mumbling to himself about crazy witchdoctors and wacko overlords. He casually browsed the various knickknacks throughout the room. Even if the man was crazy, he obviously knew some magic. And Basil wanted to know how much was just smoke, mirrors and voodoo.

Dracio
2014-04-15, 07:31 PM
Basil as you glance over the things, objects, and stuff that occupy the room you begin to notice things don't add up. On book selves there are tomes on magic that range from mundane to advanced theory. The walls may be covered in knickknacks that you've seen belong to shamans, mystics, and other less puritan arcane pursuits. The desks though are covered in reagents that are common and rare to esoteric things that you think could only be useful in spells of great power. turning your head to look about more quickly you guess that in this room alone the amount of magical fetishes and components must be worth a fortune at least. You begin to wonder just what kind of spells from not just arcane but other less savory magics fields could be learned or cast in this room. Also just who is this crazed being to have all of this in one room and what could they actually do with it.

Eshkigal
2014-04-15, 07:44 PM
Nepeth glances to Garnet, or more specifically her holy symbol, and a terrible thought crosses his mind.
"...You are speaking of Pelor when you mention the Great Sun, aren't you. I would seek for the daycallers to always be able to call him from sleep."

Dracio
2014-04-15, 07:53 PM
Nekcihc looks at Nepeth for a moment before going on a tiny rant.

"Great Sun is star that that rises and sets. It is the bringer of harsh energy that invigorates life. But it is only so strong and must rest if it is to keep life harsh so that cycle can be keep turning. Sometimes it is lazy and wishes not to rise so Great spirit gave gift to followers to call out and awaken Great Sun from sleep or it can power the cycle. Without it life is no longer harsh, night loses sway and cycle grinds to halt. Life withers fore it no longer must toil under harsh energy and dies the slow long death. Pelor is being you call god but he is only custodian of great Sun he no controls it just been granted powers by its will." During his little rant Nekcihc was waving his arms at some points and making gestures but never letting go of the six tiny bags hanging from his hand.

Nimor
2014-04-15, 08:29 PM
Still smiling her sweet little smile Minoru holds out her hand. {in elvish}, ”I will agree to help you Nekcihc. Tell me what I must do and I shall.”

MesiDoomstalker
2014-04-15, 08:29 PM
Basil clicked his teeth in confusion and frustration. So many conflicting schools of thought; standard modern magicks, ancient arcana, antiquities of ages past all present and, in seemed, in use in one area by one man. The chaos of it all was making his brain hurt, the need to organize, sort and categorize was nearly painful. He gingerly picked up a shoddy fetish doll, as if it was coated in a deadly poison, and then picked up a tome on modern magick theory, cradling it like a child. He brandished the two items to the witchdoctor. You claim to commune with spirits yet you study modern theories. You have all manners of magical odds and ins, both ancient and modern. Tell me, witchdoctor. Which is it? Spirits or study? Folklore or science? I refuse to believe it is both.

Nimor
2014-04-15, 08:52 PM
Turning to the one that just voiced his thoughts, {in elvish}, ”One does not just study one face of magic. One studies all the faces of magic in order to learn the truths of the universe. For Truth is the only true power. My advice to you bearkin is to broaden yourself.” Minoru gives the little bearkin a cute wink and smile.

Eshkigal
2014-04-15, 09:06 PM
Nepeth holds his hands up in plaintive defeat to the old man.
"I am sorry, I meant no disrespect. I am not a smart man, my body is my strength. But I would seek to learn, if you are willing to have a fool as a student. I would also seek to allow the balance to continue."

MesiDoomstalker
2014-04-15, 09:42 PM
The bear growls at the Kitsune. Cease your tongue waggling fox. I do not understand your silly language, why you insist on speaking it at all times is beyond my reasoning.

BluesEclipse
2014-04-16, 12:06 AM
Orakio growls lowly at the man's words, and says, "Bah... why must you talk in riddles... What do you mean, about calling spirits to aid us?"

Dragonsage
2014-04-16, 12:09 AM
Since they were no longer in the more 'Civilized' environment, Jade ran her hands through her hair and shock her head to undo her hair do. "Much better!" She became more attentive as the witchdoctor spoke about the spirits before muttering something in druidic and nodding to herself, as if reassured in her decision to go along with this.

"My friend, it was by the spirits that I have found myself here. I am now starting to understand why the winds have guided me to this city." Her tail unwarpped from her waist and relaxed as she sat on the floor. "Tell us what needs be done to keep the balance. All of nature depends on the sun in some way and so I must aid in defending it if is in trouble as you say, Shaman." She then adds in druidic. "For I am a but servant of nature."

Dracio
2014-04-16, 12:58 AM
Nekcihc looks from Minoru to Jade as they talk nodding agreement to both of them. Then with a slow motion the face mask is turned to Basil as the eyes erupt into small balls of rainbow flames and the mask's fanged mouth begins to move as if itself was the one talking.
"Little Bear tell me what is one without the other, how is one different than the other truly. Both spring from the same primal source and are only now divided as the gem of magik became the multifaceted stone of magic. At their basest form they are same merely drawn from separate sources but if one is to look at the source of the sources that these two draw from what do we find. The great spirit tells of us of the first magik and magics in the realms and how that what is known now is put a lesser fraction of what was sundered so long ago. To embrace future of life while ignorant of past knowledge means to be left in shadow or blinded by light. Either way you are left with less than there can be and the spirits... they can be the bridge to chasm, the light in the darkness, or the shade in the light. But as the Great spirit wills this is a discussion best left for a better time when the balance of twilight once more flows strong.

If beings wish to aid the Great Spirit then take this one each and keep them close, keep them safe. Aid you in times of need they shall if your worth is proven true. May Great Spirit call the dawn that shines down upon and may your blades be as sharp as its might claws." With that the witchdoctor hands out the tiny bags to each of you. They are stitched shut and you can feel what might be bones and beads in them.

Turning to the Asimar the witchdoctor talks in a soft tone, "Having smarts is not important to serve the Great Spirit you must merely have an open mind and heart. It is the fools who have highest chance of going farthest and the Great Spirit is always looking for more to share its teachings with. If you come back after mission seek me out and I will teach you what I can after that it is up to you and Great Spirit." As you all exit the room the witchdoctor says something you don't understand but you think little of it coming from that strange person.

Afterward you are collect by the Tiefling Officer who smiles at you all as if amused. She leads you all down to a suite of decent sized rooms. The first is a small common area, the second is decorated like a bunk room for 6. Lastly the third is a bathroom with a bolt of the door. Hear she addresses herself as, "Lord Captain Maria Lu'clo." She explains that you all will be going through a month of training to give you the needed skills for your mission before you are sent out and that she expects good results from you all and to not disappoint her. After she leaves telling you were the mess hall is before she is out the door.

***Here you guys have a little bit to post anything you would like in the month of training you all undergo. Besides training you are allowed limited access to the Palace library, the witchdoctor, training fields, smithy, however; interaction with the other groups is strictly monitored as getting too friendly with them could jeopardize the mission. After the month is up you all will gain +2 misc to gather information skill and it will become a class skill. Spot and Listen will also become class skills though you get no bonuses from them. In addition you are given neutral colored traveling cloaks and a map telling you where you will go after training to await your insertion.***

Eshkigal
2014-04-16, 01:39 AM
Nepeth begins looking around, before finding a large box full of gear next to a wolf, a lizard, and a fox, the two mammals apparently having blood on them as the lizard looks smug. Nepeth lifts the box (and the lizard) and brings it into the common room, putting it on a table.
"Found our stuff!"
And then-yep, there go the pants and shirt, clothes tossed into a corner as he begins looking for his clothing and gear, apparently not caring about decency or the like. This could be a long month...
And it was, though Nepeth kept busy between working on the training field and learning from the witch doctor at any time he could, hitting the library once for a prayer book to Kord that he read through over the month, not because it was big-indeed, it was hardly 30 pages-but because he had so little practice with texts outside of this.

Esprit15
2014-04-16, 02:37 AM
The tiefling turns, again, red as a ruby. "Would it kill you to at least change in the bathroom, aasimar!?" She digs around to find her stuff. Primary weapon, shield, secondary (and hidden) weapon, ah, there's the armor. Oh good, the crossbow was undamaged. As people likely begin to wonder at what someone could need such a variety of weapons for, the paladin shrugs. "Never know what you'll need. Now," she picks up Nepeth's clothes. "Go change in the bathroom like a normal person!"

Garnet creates a structured routine for herself the entire month, adhering to it every day, rain or shine, regardless of anything else. Wake early, perform meditations and prayers for the day. Train at the fields for an hour, then eat breakfast. Give about an hour for food to settle, during which she gets to know her future team members. Then more training, sparring if anyone was interested. If they were not, it was rotating practice with any weapons available. Using a rapier, fighting with only a shield, fighting with only a dagger and plain clothes, and so on. She trains until evening, then it's dinner, evening socializing, and sleep.

In addition, she watches for evil among her party and any others who work around her. While she had a job to do now, the act of poisoning did not go unnoticed to her. Someone who had to poison others to gain their trust was not one to their self be trusted whole heartedly, and that goes the same for those working under him.

Eshkigal
2014-04-16, 02:58 AM
Nepeth looks down at the tiefling turning such an interesting shade of red as he takes the clothes, swapping out a few pieces she grabbed for the armored bear out for his actual stuff.
"Why should I care about this? We're living together for a month and this sorta thing will happen with the space given now and when we work together. Do you have a reason to not get used to it?"

Esprit15
2014-04-16, 03:06 AM
"Because it's indecent! Because it takes no regard to the comfort of the others!" At this point, she looks around at the others. Two bears and a monkey. Looks like she was the "others" in this. "Just keep your small clothes on at least..." she grumbles and she goes to the bathroom to clean up and change for her first day of training.

Eshkigal
2014-04-16, 03:07 AM
Nepeth looks to the less mouthy bear, and asks.
"What's indecent mean?"
(Probably should stop my side of the joke here, contribute as you see fit.)

BluesEclipse
2014-04-16, 03:56 AM
Orakio watches the two, an amused smile on his face as the tiefling finally stalks off. "This is going to be interesting," he mutters to himself as grabs his fullblade first, inspecting it thoroughly to make sure it's not scratched or damaged at all. Nodding to himself, he gathers his other things and sets them beside one of the bunks, before noting that the aasimar is still nude. "You might want to put some clothes on - preferably before she gets back out here. You might not have spent much time away from home, but it's generally a bad idea to take your clothes off around women you aren't very close to," he says, with a nod towards the bathroom door.

The month goes by quickly for Orakio, spent primarily either on the training fields improving his combat skills, or in the smithy practicing his craft and helping to make some of the weapons needed there. He also takes the time to get to know the other members of the group a bit better - and making sure they know not to get between him and his enemies when it comes down to a fight.

Eshkigal
2014-04-16, 12:11 PM
And again, Nepeth shrugs, pulling pants on while muttering about silly Cymereans being embarassed by what is natural.

Dragonsage
2014-04-16, 01:47 PM
Jade found herself amused by the aasimar and tiefling's interaction. Personally she didn't care if the others the others chose to wander about her stark naked if they so wished. "Hey don't listen to the others assimar. We are all born naked and so it should only be natural to be so. It would be a shame to hide what feels right." She then goes to recover her things before petting the blood covered wolf. "Oh Irou, gotten yourself into trouble haven't you?"

She then turns to the others remaining in the room. "I don't think we've all been properly introduced. I am Sun Jade." She offered a slight bow to the others before taking up her staff and started to look around for something to use as a tub to wash the blood off of Irou's fur.

Eshkigal
2014-04-16, 02:53 PM
He smiles at the monkey that gets it, the bears (one which seems to get it and the other likely doesn't care), and the fox that talks in tongues no one else seems to get.
"I am Nepeth of the Koyuk tribe. The lady in the bathroom is Garnet, a paladin of Pelor. Pleased to meet you all, though I would have wished for better circumstances."

Nimor
2014-04-16, 06:47 PM
After entering the dorm room with her group Minoru points to Basil {in Sylvan}, ” Do you speak this language?” {in common}, ”I guess you are not as cultured as you appear bearkin. Wizards should have at least basic understanding of the Languages of Magic” With a coy and a wink, {in common}, ”I can teach you if you are will to like.”

Afterwards Minoru, checks her belongs and her fox friend. Minoru cleans Mitsuki carefully, cooing to her in Aklo. Listening the conversation on being indecent, Minoru turns to face Nepeth, {in common}, ”Some people believe that you should remain clothed at all times. However there is nothing wrong with showing off your goods if you feel confident with what you got.” Minoru pulls her robes, framing her chest. Mitsuki paws at the back of Minoru’s leg. Cooing to Mitsuki again. , {in common}, ”My companion her reminds me to play nice and introduction ourselves. I am Nobu Minoru Michi and this is my companion Mitsuki the fox. You may call me Minoru.”

During the month of training, Minoru spends all the free time she has at the library and speaking from time to time with the witchdoctor. Minoru returns to the room late at night and, unless there is required training, leaves early in the morning. She always leaves a note on the table next to plate of food that Mitsuki is eating out of. The note always says the same thing “Off the library again be back late. If you need me tell Mitsuki. She can lead you to me.” There are a few hearts on the note especially around Mitsuki.

MesiDoomstalker
2014-04-16, 07:59 PM
Basil averts his eyes from the indecent Aasimar, if only to not contribute to the conversation. When the Kitsune, 'Michi', spoke in tongues once more. The tongues of magic are many and varied, fox. My studies have taught the verse of the upper and lower planes, as well the Plane of Air. The immortal beings of the planes beyond hold many secrets of magic... he stared in derision at the now clothed Aasimar and the irate Tiefling Even if their procreation practices are less than ideal.

Basil, to the best of his ability, avoided conversing with the others. He did not even share his name, letting Orakio introduce him. He split his time in the library, studying a few new spells he'd think may be useful, and with the witchdoctor. He refused to take any worship of the 'Great Spirit' nonsense, though he probed into the madman's understanding of magic, in hopes of gleaning true insights from the mad mutterings. And he also tried to organize the witchdoctor's work space. The chaos of it bugged him beyond belief.

Dragonsage
2014-04-16, 11:53 PM
After getting introduced to everyone, Jade spends much of her free time during the next month speaking with the witchdoctor, when not training. The mornings are filled with meditation, while some days she focus on the basic moves that she learned from observing the monks back home. She also spends the time teaching Irou, the wolf, some tricks she had been meaning to teach him.

So i'm going to take advantage of this time and have Jade teach her animal companion stuff.
Bonus trick it would already know is: Track
Since it take a week per attempt to teach a trick, that give me 4 attempt for the month? So I'll go a head and roll the first attempt here and the rest in the ooc

Attempt to teach Irou how to Watch (DC 15): [roll0] handle animal check

Dracio
2014-04-17, 01:49 AM
The month seems to drag on for you all after that first night of introductions as you quickly learn that being the special friend of Lord Captain Maria Lu'clo means you get put through exercises and scenarios worst than any of the other groups. Conversely when all is said and done you believe that you are probably the best prepared for what ever may happen. The extra time spent in weapons training and mediation for those who did helped ease the stress placed on you and reaffirmed your confidence in your skills. For those who spent many long hours with the Witchdoctor your time was instead filled stories and teachings about the Great Spirit of the Day-callers and its four other allied spirits that help the balance. There was also many hours spent on magical theory and interaction of magical particles throughout the world. Like the wondrous material known as Aeroferrum, iron that floats in the sky. And who each of the four great isles have areas where there is rumored to still exist ancient magik particles and primal magic. Nothing is gotten into too deeply as the Witchdoctor demands you all prove yourselves worthy of the next step by making it back alive. And with this the month as finally ground to an end as your mission beings to loom over your little group.

To prevent suspicion from all the neighboring countries many of the different groups were flown out of the capital to different parts of he country and there given mounts to make the trek to their per-insertion safe houses along the Celestial Kingdom border. Your group got lucky though as you were forced to take perhaps the longest route by simply leaving the Palace grounds on horseback to your destination. Eventually after about a week's travel on slightly above standard riding pace you reach an old wood cabin were you will spend the next two days before plunging into the unknown. Lucky for you all it was stocked with supplies so you wouldn't need to leave once you arrived.

On the evening of the second day all was still going to plan by now each of the other groups would be at their insertion points or beginning the trek to their target. With only a few hours to go before you all depart the first signs of something odd begin to happen. There comes the sound of a horse galloping up to your cabin quickly followed by a swift knocking on the door and demand to be let in on the orders of both the Overlord and Lord Captain Maria Lu'clo. He even states the emergency pass-code told to your group should there be a change in plans. After a little debate you let him in and he quickly locks the door behind him before pulling out a scroll and handing it to you all.

Between it and the soldier before you learn that massive develop has occurred in the Celestial Kingdom. What little trade they did with the outside world was cut off entirely and without reason as of 3 days ago along with a number of extra warding spells coming online to prevent scrying. Communication with the 3 trade villages on the border was cut ceased immediately and all those still him them have not reported or come out. The only being to have escaped this apparent blackout of an infamous rogue from Cymerian's underground recently turned spy. He once boasted he could escape anything and he did though it cost him greatly. Before passing out into a coma he warned the guard he had got to that something terrible was happening and that something was plaguing the lands in that nation.

The nature of this message caused it to swiftly reach Luclin in a matter of hours and new plans were devised within the day. The messenger before states that the scroll your holding has your new orders which you are to carry out immediately upon infiltration.

Your New Orders are as Follows: You are to infiltrate the Celestial Kingdom as before at the appointed hour however once you have successfully made it inside you are to make all haste to the nation's capital located on the attached paper. This map has come at the cost of many lives so do not squander their sacrifice. Collect whatever information you can while on your way to your objective. Once there you will continue to find out what is happening to that thrice-damned nation and deduce what their next actions are. Once you have concluded this you are to abandon the city and make all haste by to Cymerian lands at all costs with your information. Kill who ever gets in your way and secure whatever you can just don't let it slow you down. We can not commence with this invasion if we do not know what is happening without the risk for major loss. DO NOT DISAPPOINT US. If you make it back alive and with good intel your compensation might be increased depending on how much makes it back with you.

With that said and delivered the messenger leaves post haste to continue with his duties. What do you do with this new revelation and orders given to you?

Eshkigal
2014-04-17, 11:08 AM
"Troubling. Very troubling indeed."
To reinforce security that far was troublesome, as this amount of security could be partially proving the Emperor right. Or they happen to be particularly xenophobic.
"Well, we have some options here. One, we infiltrate early, before they add even more defenses that we have to work around. Two, we go with the plan. Three, watch the borders and see if we can find any chink in their new armor on our own schedule. Personally, I would like to see what is going on, figure out if they are truly hiding ill intent or just dislike outsiders, and would move before the new parties make them more paranoid."

Esprit15
2014-04-17, 02:22 PM
"Agreed. While ultimately we have our orders, I too would like to ensure that there is actual hostility. If nothing else, it allows for more planning for the situation."

Nimor
2014-04-17, 08:10 PM
{in common}, ”Coming early can be a bad thing,” Minoru says with a coyish grin, {in common}, ”but I think that going in ahead of the time table is a wise choice. What do you all think?” Minoru looks to each person in turn.

Dragonsage
2014-04-17, 09:07 PM
Jade nods in agreement. "Going early sounds good. More time to get things done and learn more about this nation."

MesiDoomstalker
2014-04-17, 09:09 PM
Speed is the important factor here. If we lose momentum before we even get started, we have already failed.

BluesEclipse
2014-04-18, 12:26 AM
Orakio nods at Basil, and comments, "I say we go in rather than sitting around - the sooner we move, the less they can use to block us."

Eshkigal
2014-04-18, 12:41 AM
Nepeth nods, and looks about.
"Grab your supplies and make ready, and hide this map in...let's say a shoe for now. No one will likely look there, and if anyone sees a map to begin, there will likely be hell to pay for it on the way out. We depart when we are able."

Dracio
2014-04-18, 06:03 PM
With the decision made to proceed with the mission ahead of schedule you all quickly gather your belongings and set out into the night. The walk to the borders is full of nature's night life as fireflies dance in the cool evening air. The sky is clear and the stars shine brightly overhead. Eventually, you stealthily slink across the border with a skill that even surprises yourselves. You quite quickly arrive at the edge of a thick forest. A thick fog layer takes hold in the night air as a chill sets in. The sounds of nature softens as you move further in and the stars are eventually swallowed by the fog and tree canopy as you proceed further. Your walk seems to stretch on for what feels like hours before the foliage begins to thin, and the edge of the forest can be seen. Stopping in the trees far enough back to stand hidden, you find a village ahead of you surrounded on three sides by the very forest you have just traversed. The fog clings to the ground, reaching up to your shins. Clouds have rolled in, creating a dark and brooding atmosphere. The village is dead silent and the only sounds that are heard are those of your making. After a few moments you manage to find a pathway that leads through the village and appears to continue into horizon.

Esprit15
2014-04-21, 12:56 PM
"I have a bad feeling about this place. Do we dare stay here overnight, or keep going?"

Nimor
2014-04-21, 05:50 PM
Moving to behind Garnet, Minoru says{in common}, ”I do not like this place. I think I should stand next to you. I am, after all, not as strong as some of the others.”

Eshkigal
2014-04-21, 06:53 PM
"We use it to at least get our bearings, and we perhaps try to avoid going through for going around? Orakio and myself as point since we are best suited charging ahead, Jade and Basil center to aid anyone in need, Garnet and Minoru at the back to watch our flank with their better eyes?"

Esprit15
2014-04-21, 09:03 PM
"I approve. Let's get on with it."

MesiDoomstalker
2014-04-21, 09:06 PM
It is best to avoid contact with locals if we can. Around the village before we rest is my suggestion.

Dragonsage
2014-04-21, 10:27 PM
Jade signals Irou to stay close to her while saw about going around the village. "Lets go." She she nodded before partnering up beside the bear wizard.

BluesEclipse
2014-04-21, 11:59 PM
Orakio nods, stepping forward alongside the Aasimar. "I don't like the feel of this place, myself... let's get moving." He takes his blade in hand, wanting to be ready should anything happen, and begins moving through the trees, letting the others follow.

Eshkigal
2014-04-22, 12:04 AM
Nepeth likewise takes his halberd, ready for the road ahead and to guide himself in the lack of light.

Esprit15
2014-04-22, 12:05 AM
Garnet takes the rear, eyes watching for evil auras.

Dracio
2014-04-22, 01:32 AM
With the eeriness of the village in both sight and the lack of sound coming from its streets the group has elected to take the scenic route around. Forming up in pairs you stay just inside the boundaries of the forest to avoid obvious, but keeping the village in sight as you begin to move. Not wanting to break the quite that has deadlocked this place, the decision to implement stealth was called, thankfully there was much debris on the ground to help give you all away.

***MOVE SILENT checks please everyone and lets see just what comes of this***

Esprit15
2014-04-22, 01:36 AM
Garnet works to stay very quiet, a nearly impossible feat given her rather heavy armor.
[roll0]

Dragonsage
2014-04-22, 01:43 AM
Jade moves a silently as possible, trying to keep light on her feet as she walked along with the others.

[roll0]

BluesEclipse
2014-04-22, 01:55 AM
Orakio lumbers along, knowing that his massive frame and equally massive sword are most decidedly NOT suited for stealth.

[roll0]

Eshkigal
2014-04-22, 07:34 AM
Nepeth tries to be quiet, but he can't see well...
[roll0]-2=0 (forgot armor penalty before)

MesiDoomstalker
2014-04-22, 08:15 AM
Basil crept along, as well as his large frame would allow. [roll0]

Nimor
2014-04-22, 03:01 PM
Keeping up with Garnet, Minoru watches to the rear of the group every few steps.

[roll0]

Dracio
2014-04-22, 06:31 PM
You all have made it to the half-way point around the village with it bearing on your right side. Your luck was not to last, however as at first Garnet begins to make a little noise with the shifting of her armor at the rear of the pack. Next Orakio seems to find ever last fallen branch or leaf on the ground to step on, which makes an echo within the dark forest. Trying to avoid his partner's mistake at the front Nepeth accidentally trips over a gnarled tree root instead making a commotion that everyone winces at before he manages to stand up again. Both wizards seem not to even care they are making noise as they gave up the pretense at the start of this attempt. Jade just seems to shake her head as she nimbly moves between all her obstacles without making the slightest noise with her companion mirroring her talent. That is when you all begin to hear a noise at first faint before becoming steady and louder with each passing second. Looking towards the village quickly to find out if you all had been spotted, a shape literally comes out of the darkness and into the village. The very shape looks like it is still meddled from the very darkness it sprang from but a few things can be made out, like the fact that it reaches to the waist of the bears. That it is powered by six shadowy legs with a tail slowly swaying behind it. Jade you notice that it's shape is definitely feline and it moves like a big cat on the prowl. There are two unrecognizable shapes coming from its back, but the most striking details are that its eyes, fangs, and claws are made from a pure glowing orange material. It appears to be stalking through the village and sniffing about currently standing at its edge and facing away. If you don't act quickly it will surely notice you all with the noise you have made and keep making.

***Please roll initiative so we can determine the order in what is about to happen. An important note is you all will get a free round before it goes to show you have spotted it first. Combat is not a must and you all can attempt to flee from it still if you make a move silent roll again but that will eat up your free round. I will not make a map for this encounter so here is the scene for you. You all are 10ft into the forest and there is 20 feet open ground between you and the first village building. The creature currently stands 30 away from you all and is looking the other way. The ground is even and the 5ft of forest between you and the village will not slow you down.****

Eshkigal
2014-04-24, 12:18 AM
Nepeth looks around at the others, before at the beast. No way they'd all go unnoticed.
"Leave if you choose to, I will at least distract it for you."
With that, Nepeth breaks from tree cover, sprinting past the beast and into it's line of vision before his halberd begins burning with red light.
(Roughly 5 feet in front of it, so I should grant anyone foolish enough to follow me flanking. Used Daylight so we can see the damn thing.)

MesiDoomstalker
2014-04-24, 12:28 AM
Basil's clawed paw began working complex symbols in the air, words pouring from his lips as he infused arcane energy into Orakio.

You're a Big Burr now!

Nimor
2014-04-24, 10:52 PM
Minoru moves up 5ft and then begins sway and move as she chants in Sylvan. The air mists as though you where breathing in a winter's night. A line of blue and white streak towards the creature.

[roll0][roll1]I took a 5ft move and cast the spell of Ray of Frost upon the creature. I rolled the damage just in case I hit.

BluesEclipse
2014-04-25, 01:34 AM
Orakio smirks as his brother's spell takes hold, and charges forward, bringing his blade around to swing at the creature fiercely.

To Hit(Applying Power Attack: -2 to hit, +4 to damage): [roll0]
Crit Confirm(Threat Range: 19-20 / x2): [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] Slashing + [roll3] from Powerful Charge

Bull Rush Attempt(From Knockback, only applies on hit) - [roll4] (+2 from Charge, +4 from Knockback due to Power Attack usage, +8 from Size(currently Large, treated as Huge due to Powerful Build), +5 Strength modifier)

:smalleek: Wow. And to think, this is just at level 1...

EDIT: And I crit on my first attack roll of the game. Well... If it's not dead, I'd probably suggest running at this point...

Dracio
2014-04-25, 04:45 PM
The beast unleashes a piercing scream into the night air as Orakio's blade passes through it's shadowy body, splitting it in twain. The remains begin to dissolve seconds after being split apart and a few items fall to the ground where it once stood. As the joyous mood beings to overtake the party in your first victory falls soon after its rises, as the sound of thumps against glass in the village building next to Orakio.

****Bag of Gold (7gp 36sp), 1 MWK Dagger, Copper Necklace***

Esprit15
2014-04-25, 04:52 PM
"Um, guys, I think that sound means we should go..."

Eshkigal
2014-04-25, 05:06 PM
"That would probably be a good idea..."
Nepeth takes Garnet's pack off her.
"I run faster than you even when weighed down. Now, let's get moving!"
Nepeth lets the others move ahead of him, guarding the back.

Nimor
2014-04-25, 05:15 PM
Minoru says {in common}, ”I am go with what the groups wants to do.”

MesiDoomstalker
2014-04-25, 06:20 PM
Lets not be so hasty to retreat. A bit of investigation is in order I believe.

BluesEclipse
2014-04-25, 07:26 PM
Orakio nods, and rumbles, "If that's the worst thing around here, we've got nothing to worry about."

Dragonsage
2014-04-25, 07:30 PM
"Yes, curiousity is growing." Jade relaxed her grip on her staff a little when the beast fell.

MesiDoomstalker
2014-04-25, 07:35 PM
Basil approached the wall that was making the sound, inspecting it and any nearby windows.

[roll0]

Dracio
2014-04-25, 08:14 PM
Basil slowly creeps from the forest line towards to the window that thumps are coming from. The building from the outside appears to be a house of relatively moderate size with a closed shutter window facing the forest. The thumping appears to be coming from the other side of this shuttered window. Creeping quietly to it, he attempts to look through the slots in the shutter. From what he can see inside it is very dim and you just barely make out basic shapes in the room. After a few moments of looking inside the thumping stops everything inside goes black. A sense of dread worms its way into Basil's skull as he begins to take a step back. Suddenly the shutters burst burst open and slam into the building. A figure of black shadow and glowing runic circles of orange light shoots forth from the window and grapples Basil. Its eyes and teeth glowing orange try and tear into Basil's shoulder.

[roll0] grapple
[roll1] piercing damage
[roll2] wisdom damage

Esprit15
2014-04-25, 09:32 PM
Garnet charges the creature attacking her companion.
AC: [roll0] Crit on nat 18-20
Crit Confirm: [roll1]

Damage: [roll2]
If Crit: [roll3]

Dragonsage
2014-04-25, 10:37 PM
Jade quickly moves forward with her staff in raised before bringing it down on the shadowy that had the bear warrior grappled.

[roll0] quater staff crits x2 on nat 20

[roll1]

Eshkigal
2014-04-25, 10:44 PM
Meanwhile, Nepeth snarls as he walks over, blood boiling as his halo shines once again. He walks up to where the creature is facing Basil and swings his halberd with rage guiding its blade.

(Rage activated, halo activated, power attack activated.)
[roll0] - Attack
[roll1]In case of crit

[roll2]-damage, with rage and power attack
[roll3]-in case of crit

MesiDoomstalker
2014-04-25, 11:31 PM
Basil growls in surprise in anger, fighting to free himself.

[roll0]

Nimor
2014-04-26, 12:27 AM
Minoru readies her crossbow, but holds her fire. She does not think she will hit the creature while Basil and it are grappling.

Dracio
2014-04-26, 03:37 PM
HOWLING in rage that it was denied its continued hug of the bear it begins to flail about and lunges at Nepeth.

[roll0]
[roll1] Piercing damage
[roll2] Wisdom Damage

BluesEclipse
2014-04-29, 02:29 AM
Orakio lets out a growl and moves towards the creature, blade raised, and swings it down at the creature fiercely.

To Hit(Using Power Attack: -2 to hit, +4 to damage) - [roll0]
Crit Confirm(Threat Range: 19-20 / x2) - [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Dracio
2014-04-29, 08:48 AM
With the almighty swoosh Orakio's blade slices down into the creature and silencing its wails. The shadowy figure collapses to the ground, its glowing lines, eyes, and teeth fading and eventually disappear. What ever the substance that made up the flesh of this creature begins to disappear and tunic and trousers begin to appear as the shadows leave its body. After about half a minute what was once a shadowy creature is nothing more than a man looking very pale and bleeding from the eyes, nose, and mouth. If not for the stillness in the air you all would not be able to hear his shallow breathes for his chest moves very little. Soon a thump is heard coming from the house next to all. Then another as a few more begin to sound softly in other places of the village. More might be coming to investigate what has happen it would not be wise to dally in the village for much longer.

Eshkigal
2014-04-29, 11:32 AM
Nepeth goes wide eyed for a moment as the rage and halo die back down, before looking to the other houses, then Garnet.
"Stabilize him and then we move. This is too likely to end badly."
He pulls out ten gold coins and plants them next to the wounded man. Best to pay for whatever treatment he requires...

Esprit15
2014-04-29, 11:57 AM
Garnet looks at the dying man. "Wait, can any of you treat wounds? Sun Jade, I saw you fixing up some of the injuries soldiers got. I'll speak to any early investigators, you treat him as you can."

Dragonsage
2014-04-29, 12:06 PM
"Yes, of course." Jade quickly Kneels before the dying man, working quickly to keep him alive. She places a hand on his more severe wounds while whispering a light chant, calling upon forces of nature just to keep the man alive long enough to hopefully be helped by his fellow villagers.

She keeps her surprise of the nature of the shadowy creature suppressed while she worked on keeping the man alive.

Casted Stabilize to keep the man from further dying at least.

MesiDoomstalker
2014-04-29, 12:34 PM
After Sun Jade had finished, Basil stooped over, picking the man up by the collar. Let us make haste, before we have more welcoming hosts.

Esprit15
2014-04-29, 12:37 PM
Oh good, won't have to deal with angry villagers. "Alright, let's get out of here."

Eshkigal
2014-04-29, 02:13 PM
Nepeth spots Basil grab the man and smacks his hand lightly.
"No kidnapping the almost dead man who if he wakes up will scream until we are found, is still barely alive as it is and could easily die, and is still bleeding enough that a blind man could follow the trail he leaves. Let the villagers be more concerned with helping him than finding us."

MesiDoomstalker
2014-04-29, 05:21 PM
Do you not understand you angelic buffon?! There are no villagers! Only those shadow creatures. By taking this man we save him from that fate. Basil grumbled under his breath about idiotic angels and their restrictive morals as he lumbered away regardless of what others opinion on the subject.

Nimor
2014-04-29, 05:44 PM
Looking towards the man, with a hunger in her eyes, {in common}, ”Oh I sure I can convince him not to scream. Just one word of advice, play nice with him after I talk with him.” Minoru will stay close to the man. When she notices he awakes she will cast Charm Person on him, until she watches him closely.

Dragonsage
2014-04-29, 06:03 PM
Jade doesn't argue with Basil as he walks off with her patient. She would have preferred to leave the man with the villagers to take care of, with the group being outsiders and all, but if everyone in the village is another shadow creature then there would be no choice than to take him with them. She stays close to the man to make sure her patient doesn't take a turn for the worse while they make their escape from the village.

Dracio
2014-04-29, 07:16 PM
With Basil making a disturbing hypothesis on what else in the village could be horrible wrong, he enforces his choice. You all quickly make it back into the cover provided by the forest and make the best speed as possible around the village outskirts.With subtly abandoned for a quicker escape you all quickly make it to the road leading out of the village and into the country side.

Feeling the need to distance yourselves further your pace quickens till your movement begins to feel like cross-country running. After what feels like over an hour of this you all stop and move off the road briefly to catch your breathe. The first thing you notice is that though the sky remains grey it is of a lighter shade and the air warms slightly. Taking this time to look over her patient Jade while Minoru kneels next to her Jade notices that he is actually breathing easier. But what happens next makes both Jade and Minoru jump slightly as the man's Eyes snap open.

The first thing he does is let out a girlish scream and start babbling in common, "Please don't hurt me, I don't have any money on me, what have you done with ma family, why did you take me, please don't eat me!" Jade you notice as he starts his babbling that his eyes are still orange just not glowing and that markings on his skin have faded so that they can barely be seen. To you he feels strange, a feeling almost akin to repulsion gnaws at the back of your mind now that he is awake. He is in too much shock to realize he isn't bound and just proceeds to whimper after speaking.

Esprit15
2014-04-29, 07:46 PM
Garnet looks him over for signs of an evil aura. Not the man personally, but any sort of residue or thing possessing him. If he was personally evil, that could be dealt with later.

Eshkigal
2014-04-29, 07:57 PM
Nepeth sighs and plants his halberd in the ground before kneeling in front of the man. Doesn't remove the morningstar, but should be a bit better...
"Something did bad things to you, and used you to do bad things. Look at your arms. It extends further."
Nepeth points down, making sure to keep his hands off.
"We're trying to figure out what hurt you, and how many others are hurt the same way too. But we saw...far too many. We'll bring you back when we're sure you aren't about to hurt your family, understand?"
If you didn't already. He tries to smile gently.
"Now, what's your name? Mine is Nepeth."

Nimor
2014-04-29, 09:49 PM
Minoru chants softly, in Sylan, and casts charm person on the villager.

((OOC: The Villager must make a DC 15 Will save or be charmed. See below for what happens if he make it.))

:(Assuming he fails the Will save):
Minoru cozys up next to him. {in common}, ”Good Sir,” batting her eyelashes and cooing to him {in common}, ”We are your friends and have just rescued you from an almost certain terrible ending. My friends and I have some questions we would like you to answer. I know sure you will be able to answer all of them for me won’t you? ”

:(If he saves the Will Save):
Minoru hangs back away from him with a pouty face. Clearly upset her spell didn’t work.

Dracio
2014-04-30, 01:44 AM
Seeing the figure kneeling before him resembling a angelic creature from myth, that there were no weapons in his face begins to climb down from hysteria. His breathing eventually settles to a more manageable but quickened rate and he doesn't look like he's going to hyperventilate at any moment. Moving his eyes from each of you he focuses on Nepeth being the only one to give their name.

"What do you something did wrong to me, I don't remember anything bad happening. I don't do bad things and I look normal to me-self." Fear begins to to slowly crawl back onto his face.
"What do you mean what hurt me I don't remember being attacked. And others...What do you mean by others their is only me, my family, and the village folk and they all look fine and right like they always have," as disgust mixes with his fear. "I....I would never hurt me wife or daughter, they are my world as surly as my trade is my work. Never once have I raised a hand to either so what gives you the right to say such things." Though quite a afraid of you all he is confused about what you are saying and angered by what you are implying.

Turning to Minoru after she is next to him, "Miss I have a darlin wife and she is the company I seek not you. Of what I know, I turned in for the night in ma bed next to her and now i'm behind some trees bruised and surrounded by beings who are armed and look upon me like I might bite. By the spirits who are you people anyways, and why am I here being accused of things in the middle of the woods."

When the last words he speaks leave his mouth his eyes shoot open as wide as saucers. he goes pale and begins to shake as he beings muttering. "The woods, oh no we ain't suppose to be here. By the spirits this place isn't even safe in the day. We must get back to the village or the road at least. We shouldn't be in the woods, bad things lurk here now. We shouldn't be in the woods the king's messenger told us what stalks these trees. We need to get back to the road, he said the Black Knights magic it to make it safer. We need to leave now before they find us and we join the missing. Please we need to go, I've seen the dark things that roam when we ain't suppose to be outside at night. Horrible things. Please the road quickly before they strike. Please." The man merely repeats this several more times jerking his head every which way he can, as if he is trying to look for something.

BluesEclipse
2014-04-30, 02:00 AM
Orakio merely watches silently, knowing that he's not suited for this type of thing - his brother is the one who normally calms people down, after all.

Eshkigal
2014-04-30, 07:51 AM
"Don't worry, don't worry, we are not going to accuse or hurt you. We will explain things, though, and see if we cannot understand one another. Jade, could you possibly heal him more?"
Nepeth shows him his wound from the night before, right in his shoulder.
"First off, if it explains anything at all, the thing using you did bite me and Basil. Now, what was that about the Missing? Does this involve shadowy beasts, kinda catlike? We were lost and trying to find our way through the woods to someplace we recognized when two attacked us. One of them dropped some strange stuff, the other dropped you out of it, bleeding from your eyes and ears. That is what I meant by using you-when you dropped out, it seemed to be from a pose using you to get around. When it looked like a horde of them were coming drawn by the shadow beast howls, we decided to not see what happened when they got to you."
This...this could complicate things a bit if this were normal.
"Where are we, anyway? We know the way back to your village now, but we got turned around further in the woods a good while ago."

Dracio
2014-05-01, 02:51 PM
Garnet, your continued focus on sensing evil that may yet lurk on this man other feelings worm their way into your head. Though the man himself gives off no spore of evil the strange markings, his nails, teeth, and eyes give a feeling of revulsion and dread. One that is barely perceptible flowing in the forest around you.

The man quakes when Nepeth mentions the missing. "The missing are the unfortunate souls that have fallen to the dark things that have risen. Like a plague it started slowly then faster. Hunters stopped returning home, children who once played freely in tame woods never came out. Wagons were found destroyed. And worst of all no body has been found. Then things came worse, the skies became muted and the light of day and darkness of night fade to greys. Things started to appear and stories traveled fast of beats, monsters, and abominations lurking in the twilight shadows. There is even a rumor of town dis..disappearing whole. Ones I saw though...are nightmares given flesh, The Village Elder said not to go out at night, but I mere thought it a thief. Those twin orbs of hellish light that stared back at me the infernal lines drawn on its body. That is when I knew the stories coming from out of the village were true.

That is why we must get back to the road it is the only safe place left when not locked in your home. The messenger said we were going to be rescued, that our prayers had been answered and that the majestic and tall angelic knights of all had come from the skies to save us. Some nights we can hear them fight'in the beasts and the horrible sounds they make.

These woods once had a grand name but it no longer befits them. The road is that way I can feel it in ma bones." He points in a direction that seems almost at random, but you can clearly see that he believes that is were the road lies. He begs again for all of you to reach it quickly before anything shows up.

Esprit15
2014-05-01, 04:14 PM
Garnet places a hand on the man's shoulder. "Sir, I understand. I can feel the plague you are speaking of. It coats the forest like an unnatural layer of ash. I swear to you, we will do what is in our power to find the cause and uproot it." So much that she wanted to say, but alas, it was not a good idea to tell him that he was likely infected. They could keep it suppressed though, it seemed. She looks over to Basil, speaking in Abyssal to keep the distressing information from being understood by the man. "Basil, he's clearly infected by this plague. He seems fine right now, but his body is coated with it, and I don't know how long his stability will last. While we bring him along, we should always have someone guarding him for safety's sake. Make sure to minimize contact with him. And keep this from him. I don't want him to panic and possibly lash out.

I sense we may have stumbled upon one reason for the lack of spies returning." The words felt vile on her tongue. The sound even was evil and manipulative. Switching back to Common, she speaks again to the man, "We'll take you to the road, but I want you to come with us. Where we found you is no longer safe. I'm sorry, but we can't take no for an answer here."

MesiDoomstalker
2014-05-01, 04:43 PM
Basil simply nodded gravely towards Garnet. If I may, I'm afraid we are a bit lost ourselves. Do you happen to know the date? Basil had a hunch and he hopped to Magic he was wrong.

Dracio
2014-05-01, 10:43 PM
The man turns his head to Garnet, "By the Spirits you see reason yes the road is safe. But I need to go back to ma family if what you say holds true. They were just fine yesterday and when we went to bed. I need to know they are safe and okay. Please if you won't let me go alone then accompany me back just to know."

Turning to Basil he worried face takes on a look of confusion as he spouts, "Why it is the 5th moon past the start of September of 1997 AT traveler. Though I don't blame you for lost track if you have been lost in these woods. Now please I need to check on my family." That date is correct to what you believe the date to be Basil. So at least it seems that time has past normally for this villager.

Eshkigal
2014-05-01, 10:50 PM
Nepeth nods, walking with the man and taking his halberd.
"Would it hurt to see?"

MesiDoomstalker
2014-05-04, 09:26 PM
Most likely. Giving the Aasimar a knowing look.

Eshkigal
2014-05-04, 09:39 PM
Nepeth switches over to celestial quickly.
"Think of it this way: now we see if they stay that way during the day. Good to know if we're going to have to set up barricades each night just to sleep in an inn, yes?"

MesiDoomstalker
2014-05-04, 09:44 PM
I doubt we'd be staying in Inns inside a hostile country with a history of not allowing outsiders in. The less who know we are here, the better.*

Celestial

Eshkigal
2014-05-04, 09:52 PM
Nepeth gives a laugh and a nod like you said a joke before replying back in Celestial, casting an eye back to their new friend.
"And we have to gather information to do our job, meaning sooner or later we occasionally have to look as normal as we can, and that may mean holing up in taverns occasionally, and resupply spell components and the like. Better to account for it now than worry about it later."

Dracio
2014-05-09, 08:04 PM
The decision was begrudgingly agreed to, that you all would return to the village just so the man could check on his family before setting off to the capital. The road was easily found and the village located not to long after that. When you arrive it well enough into the morning and the first thing you all realize is that the village is full of life. Its inhabitants are all up and about running errands or doing their chores. The second thing you all notice is that they all look normal except for very faded orange lines.

You stop just outside the village to help avoid being seen and what you see is a little shocking. Seeing nothing wrong with his village and no threats the man runs to house before any of you can stop him. In the doorway he is greeted by his by what you assume to be his wife and daughter. Even from your distance you can see his relief.

MesiDoomstalker
2014-05-09, 08:43 PM
The transformation is triggered by the daily cycle. We should do well to avoid towns during the night. Now lets move, before we draw more attention.

Eshkigal
2014-05-09, 08:54 PM
"Agreed. Oh, and one other thing."
He looks over to Basil.
"Sorry about before. My thoughts were flawed."

MesiDoomstalker
2014-05-09, 08:57 PM
Stating the obvious does not change your guilt. Hard to please, isn't he?

Esprit15
2014-05-09, 09:04 PM
Garnet looks on, slightly dumbfounded. They all look so normal, but at night... There was humor in it as well. The village was inhabited and made up by the very thing that it feared.

"The report should be very interesting. I have interest in revisiting this later. Let's go."

BluesEclipse
2014-05-09, 09:39 PM
Orakio frowns for a moment, before saying, "It's odd that they don't know anything about it at all, though - how could it affect them all and none of them realize it?"

MesiDoomstalker
2014-05-09, 10:01 PM
They all fear themselves. They all hide, and all reaffirm their fears with each other. All black out at the same time. There is no point where their paranoia will contradict each other.

Dragonsage
2014-05-10, 02:18 AM
Jade smiled when the man was reunited with his supposed family, but the smile fades when the others talk about the tragedy of the village. That they're the very monsters they're afraid of and they don't even know it. "Wish we could do more to help them, but we no so little about what's wrong..." She started following the others.

Dracio
2014-05-10, 06:38 PM
Turning around you all begin the next leg of your journey to the capital where you wish answers can be found. The walk is long and for the most part tedious, as you encounter no traffic at all on a dirt road that should be a main travel road. Certain aspects about the world around you are drawn to your attention. Large hoof prints mark the well traveled road as if a great number of very big horses have made their way along its dirt surface. The trees at the edge of the road are not the calm inviting woodlands seen else where by darken gnarled plants with green and brown canopies. At times you see wagon wheel marks that lead into the woods surrounding the path, or at times what is most definitely drag marks.

At one particular point about 4:00pm there appears to be wheel marks that lead into the forest, but what is special is the fact that you can partially see the wagon itself still from woods. It is mostly obscured by plant life but it is definitely there and it is heavily damage from what can be seen. Dark will be arriving in a few hours so you have time to investigate if you wish. Mesi you in particular feel the slightest tug at the edge of your mind towards it.

MesiDoomstalker
2014-05-10, 07:48 PM
Basil stops dead in his tracks at the sight of the wagon. Vannaran. The plants. Are they natural? Could they, say, snatch carts off the road?

Dragonsage
2014-05-10, 08:54 PM
Jade stops then Basil poses her the questions about the plants. "Lets see here..." She takes a look at the plants around the area, particularly the ones by the wagon, too see if they were all harmless plants or not.

[roll0]

Dracio
2014-05-11, 05:56 PM
The plants and trees look normal in the world of nature if not for a few differences. The green and brown leaves interspersed within the canopies is a little odd, as well as the gnarled look many now seem to sport. Besides these differences though you believe them to nothing more than common harmless plants. Well harmless you believe that is, the woods still give off the feeling of wrongness but while you have been on the road it seems to have diminished to only being there barely. Also to note there is no large prints in the ground to suggest living plants either.

Nimor
2014-05-12, 08:34 PM
After holding her tongue for sometime Minoru decides to speak, {in common} ”I wonder if someone is using dark arcane magics to control the planets and people of the village. Maybe even some dark cleric.” Minoru bends down picks up several leafs off the ground. Staring at them for a few moments, she lets them go and watches them fall to the ground.

MesiDoomstalker
2014-05-14, 02:07 PM
Satisfied, Basil approaches the cart to inspect it.

Dracio
2014-05-14, 02:31 PM
As you approach the severity of the damage done to the wagon begins to come to light. It looks as if it has survived a mauling barely as large and irregular claw marks decorate its outer and inner surfaces. near the front where the animals would be mounted to it the wood is stained heavily in blood. Dried and soaked into its every surface. The bench in the front were the driver would sit is split in two. Moving to the wagon bed you rip off the fabric covering and are greeted with a gruesome sight. A severed arm gripes a metal rod about a foot long. Both lie across a journal with many pages ruined or ripped out, but the current page displayed has a few simple sentences that are still legible. [I]"The road is the only safe path to travel anymore. What ever those knights are they have made it safe. The safety only extends 15 feet in both directions from its middle. Those things can't seem to cross that safe line, but they have gotten smarter. They are try to lure the unwary off the path to be devoured. Those poor idiots, at least I still have my treasure and with it I will be safe. An ancient family heirloom w..."[/i}

Along with that the wagon contains some winter blankets, crates of rotten fruit, and finally what seems enough horse feed for two on a few days trip. The wagon itself could still be used despite the damage if something could pull it.

MesiDoomstalker
2014-05-14, 02:36 PM
Slowly, Basil began to walk away from the cart, careful to not look paniced. When he reaches the road again, he speaks in barely a whisper. Do not leave the road under any circumstances.

Eshkigal
2014-05-14, 02:52 PM
"What did you find?"

MesiDoomstalker
2014-05-14, 02:53 PM
A warning. And possibly a trap.

Esprit15
2014-05-14, 08:27 PM
"It looks rather gruesome. What could have dragged that all the way off the road?"

Eshkigal
2014-05-15, 06:26 PM
"A good question. Should it be risked to grab what may be useful?"

MesiDoomstalker
2014-05-15, 07:12 PM
I will not set one paw off this path. What you do with your body is your own.

Eshkigal
2014-05-19, 12:31 PM
"Then let's keep going. Though this may mean we cannot skirt towns so easily as we previously thought..."

Esprit15
2014-05-19, 12:44 PM
"Well they seem safe during the day. We can camp on the road at night, and pass towns in the light."

Nimor
2014-05-19, 06:26 PM
Minouri turns to face the group and says,{in common}, ”We could even go around the town during the day to avoid it, if we felt the need to.”

Dragonsage
2014-05-19, 07:46 PM
Jade nods in agreement before continuing following the group, forgoing the items in the wagon. "Sounds like a good idea, but I wonder how many towns we're going to find that are going to be like the first."

Dracio
2014-05-20, 01:29 PM
The journey begins anew as you set off again from the wagon spending the last hours of what amounts to daylight you have traveling at a brisk pace. You come across forks in the road as you progress by a look on your map shows the road to take to the capital. The closest you get to a town before the capital will be a town ahead of you during the next days journey. With night setting in and a weariness from you travels you set up camp beside the road but as Basil firmly declares still within its protective boundary.

Camp was easy to set up and though took a little longer than normal as Basil had to ensure that everything was the proper distance from the road to ensure safety. The evening meal is ate with little talk as each of you contemplate what you have seen and what it may mean for these lands. Night watch is established as you all turn in for the night to refresh your energies for the task that come. By the afternoon tomorrow you all will reach the capital city if you continue to move at a brisk pace and minimize stops.

Jade's Watch
The first watch is taken by Jade as she appears to have the most energy still after the hardships of the day. While the others rest and her guard is as vigil as can be a growing unease settles within her. At firsts it merely feels as if she is being watched, something akin to that marvelous sense animals get when they know something is out there just beyond sight. Over the course of her watch the feeling gets worse till she knows for certain something is skulking just within the trees, in the tall grass, and behind the rocks. But she remains calm outwardly and resolute and nothing approaches the road or comes out of hiding with her stern gaze outward.

Orakio's Watch
As Jade's watch comes to a close she wakes up Orakio to begin his and gives him a warning. They are being watch though nothing appears to be forthcoming. Orakio mere nods at this and pats his trusty blade in response to the warning. He patrols the camp for a while before settling down for the rest of his watch. Near the end of his duty nothing had happened so far, not a sound, a feeling of being watched, or even a disturbance. Even the wind blew gently so as not to make a sound. But sometimes it is when you least expect things that the happen. Balls of dim light began to appear in the trees on both sides of the road, however they were not moving towards it but parallel to it. All of them were moving away from the direction of the capital and quickly. Their light looked inviting but the speed in which they moved made one think they might be fleeing something in turn. In a few minutes they were gone.

Basil's Watch
Basil had been awoken by his brother and told first what Jade had said and then what he himself had seen in the forest. He would be skeptical of his brother's words had he not seen the journal in the wagon and its warning. His watch was full of continuously looking out around him whenever rustle or sound would be heard. But by the end of his shift nothing had happened at all. No lights, no sounds of things within the trees, no feelings of being watched beyond what his own paranoid might might conjure. In all nothing happened at all.

Nepeth's Watch
Basil was calm and collected when he roused Nepeth for his watch. Again he repeated the warning and sight from the first two before ending with his own account of nothing. And for a while it seemed Nepeth's own watch would be similar to what Basil had experienced with nothing happening at all. At about midway through though an occurrence happened. Flowing through the woods softly came a form of dark shadow straight to a point in front of Nepeth though outside the protection offered by the road. As it came close to the barrier it resolved itself into the form a mighty bear. Though some things where different as it appeared to have smooth skin and fur across its body. A fined crest rose from its back and six piercing red eyes were on its head, three to a side.

It looked down at the road and then back to Nepeth and smiled a smile that it should never have been able to make. Beckoning him towards it with a wickedly clawed paw. It wanted him to leave the sanctuary granted by the road and come with it. But Nepeth was no fool and remained rooted to his spot ready to shout alarm and leap into action. The thing saw that its attempts were for not and grew angry. It roared a soundless roar it's jaws filled with row upon raw of sharp teeth. It attempted to move up to the road only be held back by an invisible field of force. The beast attempted to battered it's own way through to no avail eventually giving up and leaving. Not before though turning back to Nepeth and glaring him down for a second or two.

Garnet takes the Watch
Once Nepeth had endured his watch he woke up Garnet to take hers. He told of the events so far that night and what had happened with the bear creature. Preparing for the worst Garnet took no chances and steeled her mind for what she might see. At first though nothing at happened and she question if her watch might end like Basil's own. But fate is never truly kind as a distant thunder sounded down the road. Thinking it to perhaps be more vile things seeking to end them Garnet stand and looks resolute. She is unprepared to face what is actually riding down the road though from the direct of the capital. Far sooner than should of been able a long train of giant horses gallops down the road at full speed. They are large than any horse she has seen and colored black as the night sky. Each one has barding of dark metal across them and mounted by what must be a giant of a man. They are clad in armor so dark and dull that they almost reflect no light at all from their concealing fullplate. She estimates this train of knights riding single column to be forty strong and moving in full gear at full pace. They are gone swiftly down the road before veering off into the forest itself. For the rest of her shift the hoof prints left by their steeds haunts her mind.

Minoru and the Last Watch
Minoru eventually is awoken for the last watch of the night and the stories she hears from Garnet put her on edge though she tries to hide it. As she moves about the campsite any thoughts that what she was told had been false is dispelled as she sees large faded hoof prints in the road. Their size larger than any horse she has known. Her watch sees her constantly looking about seeing if she would be next to witness something odd. But she sees only the woods beside the road and the faded large hoof prints. What she hears though throughout her shift is the far off sounds of battle. These are accompanied by the roars and howls of beast, the sounds so loud they make the mind question how big a creature must be to make them. When dawn finally does occur it is a welcome sight to her as is the sight of her companions stirring.

As you all awaken and eat the morning meal in the light of dawn you talk of what you have seen and heard during the night. And also why despite it all none of you awoke during these lout sounds and noises.

Esprit15
2014-05-20, 02:09 PM
"It's so strange that none of you woke to them. It was like thunder when they came through. Maybe the sources were one and the same? Draw Jade out to investigate, lights to do the same to Orakio, the creature challenging Nepeth to step off the path. I have no explanation for my experience, since it was inside the barrier, but it seems like there is an underlying connection, with the intent to lure us to our deaths."

MesiDoomstalker
2014-05-20, 02:56 PM
If that to be true, then why was my vigil uneventful? A token effort would be better than none at all.

Esprit15
2014-05-20, 03:28 PM
"I don't know. Maybe an illusion that you saw through? Maybe a mental effect that didn't take hold?"

Eshkigal
2014-05-20, 03:41 PM
"Perhaps it is because you touched something upon the carriage. We have no clue if any of it was important. Though I would like to know if a bear with impossibly smooth skin and fur, six eyes, and a fin is something any of you who study the other realms past this have heard of. It was...oddly specific. And the only one to try and break the barrier you said exists."

Esprit15
2014-05-20, 04:22 PM
"A more advanced stage of that infection we saw? Or maybe a local animal infected by it?"

Eshkigal
2014-05-20, 04:28 PM
"There was a spark of intellect in it. I don't think it was simply infected wildlife, though a more advanced form of what we've seen makes sense. Or something new."

Nimor
2014-05-21, 05:59 PM
{in common}, ”Strange that there would be sounds of battle during my shift and we see no wounded coming through this area or any new soldiers on the road.”

Esprit15
2014-05-21, 06:11 PM
"I did see some knights who were likely participants, but otherwise, it is odd."

BluesEclipse
2014-05-22, 12:47 AM
Orakio frowns, and says, "I'm wondering why each of us saw or heard something different, myself..."

Eshkigal
2014-05-22, 05:19 PM
"May not be anyone to come back."
He looks uncomfortable voicing that idea.
"Well, there are two ways we could go about this. We could go back, see if there are any signs back that way of riders or anything else we saw, or we continue on and assume it was all illusions."

Esprit15
2014-05-22, 05:22 PM
"Keep going." They're all so flighty. Every odd thing is 'Ooh! Follow it! Ooh, what's that!' We have a job to to.

Dragonsage
2014-05-22, 06:16 PM
"I didn't really see or hear anything really...Just had a feeling...like when you know a tiger is stalking you." Jade commented as she rose from her morning meditation, tuning her mind for the magics she might use for the day. "But I agree with Garnet. It won't do us much good in terms of our mission if we're just going in circles.".

BluesEclipse
2014-05-23, 02:42 AM
Orakio nods, shrugging. "Yeah, no sense in just debating it. If something shows up, we can deal with it then."

Dracio
2014-05-26, 03:24 PM
With the trials of the night now locked behind you the camp is broken down and the gear gathered for the journey to continue. As you move no more strange occurrences happen along your path. There is no signs of fighting, no wagons dragged off into the forest and no mysterious lights or sounds. In Fact Jade can hear small amount of sounds that are reminiscent of forest life.

Soon your path leads you to a set of small foot hills partially populated with trees that are a welcomed changed to the forest which has been your companion for some time. Within a few hours of walking up and down hills you crest the next one and before you lays the site of your journey. A stone walled city of quite a large size stretches out before you. Merchants and farmers can be seen going through the open city gates with wares and food to sell. Though the gates stand open with guards watching their eyes seem only to point out scanning the terrain beyond their city for any signs of danger.

Of those making their way into the city the races are quite diverse but elves, half-elves, humans, and halflings seem to make up the most. A note to be mindful of is that despite the attentiveness of the guards looking out life appears to be happening normally for these people.

One might expect that should you just walk forward along with the other people entering the city for the day you might even go unnoticed.

MesiDoomstalker
2014-06-01, 05:49 PM
Don't think anyone has naything to do till we are in the city

Dracio
2014-06-03, 05:38 PM
Thinking that perhaps the fates have smiled upon all of you, begin to make your journey to the city gates. While nervousness held for the walk up to opening it was proven unfounded. You all pass through the large portal into the capital city itself. The sight that greets you is that of a major town on market day as stalls from merchants and farmers lining the main street.

Each merchant and farmer trying their best to lure in any other person to look at their wears and food for sale. Not a single guard pays you heed as they make through rounds. The citizens all love normal to yours eyes and their activities seem just as normal an average.

The only thing besides the stances of the guards on duty to alert you something is wrong is the feeling that something smelling vile is in the air. It is very faint and had you not been through near harrowing experiences you might of ignored it.

There are central posts every few blocks that look to have fliers or posters nailed to them as well.

Dragonsage
2014-06-04, 02:39 PM
Curiously, Jade wanders up to one of these posts and takes a look at the fliers and posters. She figured they'd give her an idea of local happenings and such.

Dracio
2014-06-04, 05:47 PM
Various job notices were present with details on both the work need and the payment. Most sounded easy while others looked like they would need a grasp of the knowledge required. Everything from help in the farm to carpenters and wood workers were needed.

There were other missives of various importance and warnings of the dangers that lay outside the city walls. There was even a curfew that was enacted at 10pm to help clear the streets for the Black Knights. It advises all good citizens not on business to remain inside at that time.

One poster in particular caught your Jade's eye, and it caused bile to rise in her throat at the crude irony. At the castle in two days time was a celebration to announce the treaty with the Black Knights. Commoners were welcomed but only those properly attired would be allowed into the great hall for the finer food, dancing, and chance to witness the moment in person. At the bottom it said the crown princess the last heir to the throne would be present for a place of honor in the ceremony that night.

Dragonsage
2014-06-09, 09:34 PM
Jade bares her fangs and hisses at the poster, at the thought of having to groom herself again to make herself "presentable" for the evening. Regardless she waves to the other to get them to come over and take a look for themselves since it would be an excellent time to see what these knights were actually about. "Hey, guys come look at this."

MesiDoomstalker
2014-06-09, 09:42 PM
This is most opportune. We simply attend this meeting and be done with it.

Eshkigal
2014-06-09, 09:45 PM
"Though I think we can all agree to skip the food."
Nepeth grins a bit at the others, before noticing the looks.
"Too soon?"

Nimor
2014-06-11, 05:44 PM
Her eyes widening,”Ohhh a party. I would love to see that. Though I have not a thing to wear.” Looking to each of her fellow party members with a wink. ”Of couse I could go wearing nothing at all.”

Esprit15
2014-06-11, 06:52 PM
Garnet rolls her eyes at the fox. "If you have nothing to wear, then I imagine that would not fall under the request of proper attire. We should go, however. If anyone is truly lacking in attire, I could spare some coin for them."

Dracio
2014-06-20, 10:39 PM
Thankfully many of the party had packed the fine clothing they had been given at the Overlord's Ball into their back to take along. Though that could of been due to it being among their meager possessions owned by them and at hand. Having this little problem solved so early would mean that they would have little troubles entering into the great hall to view the signing of the treaty. However other information would be needed to be obtained if they were to pass among the population attending without raising suspicions as to who they are, and more importantly where they are from.

There are also the need to remedy the remaining effects some where suffering since the village. A cleric of whatever god or gods that were prominent within the capital would need to be found. Lodging would also need to be taken care of for the time between now and the ball to ensure the entire party looked presentable when it came time.

You guys can preform skill checks to find out things of interest within the town that you may want to know. A basic search or spot check will allow people to locate the churches within the capital as well. Lodging can be found the same way only the better you do the cheaper the price it will be.

Dragonsage
2014-06-21, 12:36 AM
Sun Jade, dreading the thought of grooming herself later, decides to go see if she could find a church of sorts. "In the meantime, see what else this city has to offer us." The monkey lady started to wander off with her wolf in tow.

[roll0]

Esprit15
2014-06-21, 04:28 AM
While Sun looks for a temple, Garnet looks for a place for the lot of them to stay.
Search check if need be. They seem like a common thing in any town, but who knows: [roll0]

BluesEclipse
2014-06-21, 10:29 PM
Orakio shrugs for a moment, realizing that Basil's idea to keep that fancy stuff is actually going to be useful. As the group decides to look around, for churches or places to stay, Orakio begins taking a careful look around the town for good inns, wanting to see what the best options would be.

I'd like to Take 20 on this if possible - that'll give me a 21 on the Search check. Is that allowed?

Eshkigal
2014-06-24, 07:33 PM
"Basil, are you coming? You were hit as well, after all."
Nepeth helps Sun look for a church as well, tired of feeling the fog in his head. (Rolled 17 in OoC)

MesiDoomstalker
2014-06-25, 04:15 PM
Yes yes, I'm coming. Basil assists in finding quality lodging.

[roll0]