PDA

View Full Version : A Troubled Peace

Ardurious
2014-04-12, 11:33 PM
Part One: Norefast

It has been some weeks now since the kidnapping and murder of the young prince, Adrian Thannil. The kingdom of Realta has been abuzz with activity - knights riding to and fro relaying orders and information, bounty hunters and sellswords combing city streets and country roads for even the tiniest scraps that could lead them to a payday, frightened citizens fleeing their homes for the safety of the great walled cities dotting the countryside.

The nation has not experienced such feverish activity since the great war nearly a century past. Men and women have come from far and wide - some journeying from neighboring kingdoms, others from mysterious lands far across the eastern sea - seeking fame and fortune, glory and honor. Or for some, the pursuit of justice or simple revenge.

You are one such individual. You have scoured the kingdom for many days and nights, seeking information that might lead you to the prince's murderer. Why you do it matters not, merely that you have devoted yourself wholly to your cause.

It is this devotion that seems to have attracted special attention to you. Upon waking three mornings hence, you found a note lying beside you. It was written in a ragged script, stating merely an address in the small village of Norefast - along the road to the Realtan borderlands - and the promise that there you would meet someone who could help you.

With no leads, even after several weeks of searching, you decide to journey to Norefast and see what awaits you there.

Upon arrival at the address from the note, you find it to be a seemingly abandoned house, tucked away on a back street. Sensing no danger, you enter. You find yourself in a medium-sized room, sparsely furnished, and with a fire burning in the hearth. Several other individuals are already there. They seem as puzzled as you are, as if wondering what they are doing there.

Perhaps one of these strangers might know something.

MichaelGoldclaw
2014-04-12, 11:59 PM
Nali looked at the other individuals. They didn't look like they were about to kill her, so she felt fine. She then introduced herself. "Good day to you all. I am Nali of the clan Peacewarrior. Pleasure to meet you all." she says.

Necroticplague
2014-04-13, 02:01 AM
"Likewise, though I wish it could be under better circumstance.Name's Telesha."

Feo
2014-04-13, 09:09 AM
Joaquins eyes widened with shock as he spotted the obviously freeborn Dragonborn.
After some (awkward) seconds he regained his composure and said:
"Greetings friends !
I am Joaquin the Red,the famous Poet and Warrior."

Shimeran
2014-04-13, 09:11 AM
The robed figure of Folly rasps out "I don't suppose you know what's going on here? I mistrust a gathering where the hosts intentions are unclear." After a brief pause, he continues "Others have taken to calling me Folly."

Necroticplague
2014-04-13, 10:48 AM
"Shouldn't that make them more trustworthy? If they don't tell you anything, they don't have a reason to kill you. So if they want to remain cloak-and-dagger, it clearly means they intend to let you live."

Ardurious
2014-04-13, 01:09 PM
The discussion is interrupted as the front door swings open once more, this time admitting a human dressed in a worn leather chest piece and leggings. A tattered cloak hangs from his neck.

He is of average build, though somewhat slim, with a plain face and short-cut blonde hair. He wears a tired look on his face as he surveys those gathered in the room before him.

"So, which one of you's the cheeky bastard what left me that note?" he strides forward into the firelight as he speaks, crossing to an unoccupied chair on the other side of the room, "and how's it you can help me?"

He leans back in the old wooden chair and crosses his arms, his eyes passing over each of you. His foot taps impatiently on the wooden floor.

Skill Checks:
In the dim light of the fire you can just barely make out several dark stains on the man's leather armor, though you can't quite tell what they may be.
Upon closer inspection, the stains appear to be dried blood.
As the man passes in front of you, you notice several dark stains on his armor. You recognize them immediately as dried blood. They still appear reddish-brown in the firelight, signifying that they can't be more than a few days old.

MichaelGoldclaw
2014-04-13, 01:11 PM
[roll0] perception

Nali waits till the one who sent the note responds before she does..

Feo
2014-04-13, 01:24 PM
Joaquin eyes the rude stranger cautiously and likewise remains silent
4 perception
19 insight

Necroticplague
2014-04-13, 01:27 PM
"I think all of us are wondering the same of each other."

[roll0]

Son_of_Meepo
2014-04-13, 01:44 PM
Valuar was not uncertain this wasn't a trap, so he had remained in the shadows. He crept up on the latest arrival. stepping out of the shadows behind him. "Your armor is blood-stained. Perhaps you'd like to tell us the tale behind that first."

"If someone has followed you here then you may have put us all in peril."

When Valuar emerges from the shadows, his entire form is covered in dark clothing that helps him blend in the lack of light.

[roll0]

Ardurious
2014-04-13, 02:07 PM
The man turns to look at the drow. He shows little in the way of surprise at the shrouded individual's entry into the firelight.

"My, my, a man after my own heart," a grin plays across the man's lips, "I wasn't followed. I made sure of that. As for my armor, the blood belongs to a band of goblins that attacked me on the road some days past," he continues to meet the drow's stare.

He seems to be telling the truth. You remember hearing talk of goblins and other creatures prowling the less-traveled roads near the edge of the borderlands.
After a moment more, he turns to those gathered in front of him. "I assume from your silence that none of you left that note for me, yes?" he traces a finger across his jawline, "Which means . . . you're all here because you received one as well." He crosses one of his legs over top of the other and shakes his head.

"It seems that someone believes we might be of some use to one another," he smiles again, the fire playing deep shadows across his thin face.

Feo
2014-04-13, 02:11 PM
"I trust neither Blondie nor the drow"
He nocks back an arrow:
"Who are you two?Drow why where you creeping around in the dark?Blondie whats that with your armor?
He eyes the stranger again this time looking for blood.

[roll0]
My Perception is +2 but I might get circumstance bonus? Or no new roll at all... .

"Or someone simply tries to kill us all at once.Also I didn`t get your name.Or the drows. "
He draws his bow but doesn`t aim for the pair.

Necroticplague
2014-04-13, 02:19 PM
"]Now, now, no reason to get aggressive now. We were all summoned here to either help each other, or for some third party to help all of us. Killing each other would be counterproductive."

Except they obviously were near us when they slept, so if they wanted us dead, a throat-slitting would have sufficed.

Feo
2014-04-13, 02:28 PM
"There are ways to deliver messages without being present; also a guy with a piece of paper in his hand might survive me waking up on him, a guy with a dagger will not.
But for now I am inclined to have a modicum of trust in you people."

Son_of_Meepo
2014-04-13, 02:57 PM
"Put your weapons away," the drow rebukes the man with the bow. "Did you not bother to notice my blades were still sheathed. Had I desired any of you dead, then you already would be."

"As you have deduced, we were all summoned by a similar message. I am guessing that we have all been searching for the prince's assassin but our efforts have been for naught. Then again, if someone means to bring us together to be rid of us, then perhaps one of us is getting close after all. What have you uncovered?"

Shimeran
2014-04-13, 03:22 PM
"Precious little so far. The trail had already grown cold when my keepers sent on the chase. There might be a whiff of something around the palace, but getting in there hasn't proven easy, especially with the added commotion."

Necroticplague
2014-04-13, 04:16 PM
"Sadly, likewise. Most of what I've got ran the range of 'sourceless rumors' all the way up to 'unfounded speculation'. So if they want to kill people that know too much, they sent me a wrong invite."

Feo
2014-04-13, 04:59 PM
"Me neither-but I am starting to notice a pattern."

Ardurious
2014-04-13, 06:45 PM
"You lot are doing a wonderful job, it seems," the seated man doesn't even attempt to keep the amusement from his voice, "The king's lucky to have you on the job."

He casts a cautious glance over his shoulder at the drow, then clears his throat. "Fortunately for you, I happen to have a bit of a lead on the 'assassin' that you so valiantly seek," he sets his elbows on the arms of the chair and intertwines his fingers, "I personally have no desire to act on it. I make far more money without having to involve myself with the king and his lackeys. But perhaps it could be of some help to you lot."

MichaelGoldclaw
2014-04-13, 07:30 PM
"Interesting. Tell me more."

Necroticplague
2014-04-13, 07:38 PM
"So, are you going to bother to grace us with it, or do you you want to bask in your own smugness for a little bit?"

Ardurious
2014-04-13, 08:18 PM
"Don't get me wrong, you seem like a nice group of folks," the man casts a pointed glance at the bow in Jaoquin's hands, "but I can't just give information this vital away for free. That's very bad business."

Feo
2014-04-13, 08:49 PM
"So you don`t involve yourself with the kings men but following anonymous notes is good business in your book? "
[roll0]

"And while you do seem like a really nice guy I can`t just buy Information from somebody who may or may not have conntacted all of us by anonymous note - itīs bad business "

He plays with his bow for a few seconds...

"How about you just tell us what you know- as a sign of good will- and I promise here and now that you will get your share.IF your information is worth anything that is... "

[roll1]

Necroticplague
2014-04-13, 08:55 PM
"By your own admittance, you weren't using the information, so it has no value to you. It also does not cost you anything to give it to us, and you don't lose it in the process of doing so. And if you did tell us and it leads to anything, then you would be rewarded for your lead later. Logically, it would be in your best interest to tell us. Unless you suspect us of being assassins looking to tie up loose ends."

Ardurious
2014-04-13, 09:07 PM
"Perhaps I have been a little too vague for you. Allow me to clear a few things up," the man raises an eyebrow, "Whatever reward you may receive from the nobility is of no use to me. Money is simple enough to acquire, and fame is something I would rather do without. People in positions of power knowing who I am would . . . put quite a damper on my business, if you understand my meaning."

"As for my coming to this wonderful little get-together, the timing of that note seemed a little too spot-on. I am, as it turns out, in need of help at the moment," he looks at Telesha, then Jaoquin, "Perhaps I'd be willing to divulge what I know in exchange for a small favor. A trifle of a thing for a group such as yourselves, no doubt."

Feo
2014-04-13, 09:11 PM
"As a wise woman once said:

Are you going to bother to grace us with it,
or do you you want to bask in your own smugness for a little bit?"

MichaelGoldclaw
2014-04-13, 09:11 PM
"If you need help, just ask and I will see if I can get it done."

Ardurious
2014-04-13, 09:21 PM
"That's the spirit," the man gives a hearty laugh, "As I said earlier, I was beset by goblins on the road a day before receiving the note. It wounds my pride to admit it, but they got the better of me. I killed several, but they overwhelmed me. I woke up some time later with all of my possessions short of what I now wear pilfered from me."

He shakes his head, "I thank Saum I survived, though I believe Shaela had more to do with it than he. Of course, she was missing as well by the time I came to. But, I ramble. You need not know why I require your help, only what I require help with. The goblins took from me that which I was transporting. Something of great value. Something that . . . must be recovered rather quickly."

Feo
2014-04-13, 09:40 PM
Joaquin motions the man to continue but he seems somewhat distracted.

Do Goblins usually attack travellers or hunt for special things ?
And would their victims survive with only one special thing stolen?
Are Goblins involved/suspected in the case of the missing prince?

[roll0] Nature
[roll1] History
[roll2] Streetwise

What is Shaela?

[roll3] No Idea what skill this one could be

Necroticplague
2014-04-13, 10:05 PM
"Anything specific? I mean, chances are I'll probably grab anything that looks remotely valuable anyway, but knowing what to look for would be nice."

Ardurious
2014-04-13, 10:06 PM
"Before this goes any further, there's something I must know," his eyes narrow and his tone grows serious, "Do any of you here have any connection or personal affinity with the slave-lords of Bal'Oreia?"

Nature
Goblins are violent, and none too bright. They are likely to assault anyone who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

History and Nature
Few survive attacks by bands of roving goblins, though they have been known to leave particularly troublesome prey alone. The man made mention of someone or something called Shaela, though the name is not one you recognize.

Streetwise
Goblins are perhaps one of the only creatures in the kingdom not thought by some radical faction or another to be behind the death of the prince, though you recall one particularly unhinged man you journeyed with for some days ranting on endlessly about a goblin king kidnapping young princes and stealing their big toes in a bid for immortality. Either that or something about soup.

Shimeran
2014-04-13, 10:12 PM
Folly leans in a bit at mention of the goblins before letting out a hiss, "So you need them eliminated, decimated perhaps..". After a brief pause he continues "You certainly have my interest. Though before you send me their way, I'd suggest details on what you don't want destroyed.". As he leans back he finishes with "I take it this Saum is one of those, as is Shaela, and of course the item you mentioned. A bit more detail on those is advised. We wouldn't want any.. unfortunate collateral damage".

Necroticplague
2014-04-13, 10:13 PM
"My previous life was a doomed girl futilely being raised to replace an aging shaman. My current one is a homeless wanderer whose closest thing to an income is selling the stuff off the bodies of those who try and rob me. I don't have any links to something that consistent."

Feo
2014-04-13, 10:14 PM
"Well", he points in Nalis direction, "she is dragonborn so they would not like us -why are you asking?"

1d20+13 Bluff, just in case deliberate stalling warrants bluff-checks

Ardurious
2014-04-13, 10:27 PM
"One can never be too careful in this day and age," the man's tone softens somewhat, "I was transporting a dragonborn; a young runaway slave. I was contracted to deliver her to Land's End. She was gone when I awoke, alongside all of my weapons and equipment, my money, and my dear Shaela."

He fixes his gaze on Folly, "Who, by the by, is a young displacer beast that I would very much like to see unharmed. There might even be something extra in it for you if you could return her to me in a presentable state." He quirks an eyebrow, looking closely at Folly for the first time.

"You certainly are a strange one," he leans forward, "Not from around here, I take it. Of a blood I can't say I've ever seen before, here or across the sea. And of course, everyone in the Five Kingdoms knows of Saum, the Crowfather." He makes a grand gesture with his hands, holding them wide at his sides like wings. His demeanor seems to lighten instantly, a sly smile replacing his somber scowl.

Shimeran
2014-04-13, 10:57 PM
"I am relatively new to this.. area and I'd honestly be suprised if you had met others like me. As for.. slavers", his features harden, "I am uncomforable familiar with the practice a take a rather dim view of it". He breaks into a rather toothy grin before continuing, "Views I'll be happy to share with our diminutive friends, though they may find my words quite.. biting."

Im guessing this would be a history check, so.. [roll0]

Son_of_Meepo
2014-04-14, 06:45 PM
"Slaves would only be a burden to someone of my profession," Valuar replies bluntly. "Nor do I do not make a habit of bringing my quarry back alive. So my services would be of little use to most slavers."

Ardurious
2014-04-14, 06:56 PM
"You mistake me, I fear. I am no slaver, nor do I do business with them," there is an edge in his voice, "I am delivering this young runaway to her saviors, not back to her captors."

Feo
2014-04-14, 07:09 PM
"Then point us in the direction of the greenskins already -and we will do our best to rescue her and your pet.".He looks around for a second."At least I will."
Joaquin paueses for a brief moment.
"And you of course won`t mind if we ask her a few questions? She will just confirm your story after all... ".
He studies the blond mans reaction carefully.

[roll0] Perception
[roll1] Insight

Joaquin is still decidedly not answering questions about his involvment with the Slavelords. So:

[roll2] Bluff (if needed)

MichaelGoldclaw
2014-04-14, 07:13 PM
"I trust him. He seems geniune." Nali says.

Ardurious
2014-04-14, 08:30 PM
"I was attacked on a back road about a day's journey east of here," he reaches into one of the pouches on his armor and withdraws a folded piece of cloth. He unfolds it on the table beside him, revealing a faded map of the area. He stands from his chair and traces a finger across the worn fabric, stopping it atop one of the many trails criss-crossing the map, "Here. Near halfway between King's Ford and Thistlewatch."

He taps the spot on the map, "You may take this with you, so long as I get it back when you return." He then looks up from the table and focuses on Jaoquin, "And feel free to ask the girl whatever you wish. Rest assured, she will tell you the same things I have."

The man seems to be telling the truth, both about the location and the young slave; as near as you can tell, anyway.

Necroticplague
2014-04-14, 08:46 PM
"In that case, better we start to get moving. Wouldn't want them to start moving on before we get their. How fast you all run? I do it pretty fast." She demonstrates her own speed by bolting for the door at a rapid pace. Not quite a horse, but a decent 33% faster than a normal human.
Steel Wind movement is +2 movement, up from normal 6 feet, so 33% percent increase.

Shimeran
2014-04-14, 09:03 PM
Folly makes cracking sound the seems vaguely like a chuckle, "While I'm not looking to run, I can appreciate the need for some.. exercise. Hopefully these goblins will be a suitably strenuous diversion." With that, Folly starts making measured strides toward the door.

Feo
2014-04-14, 09:25 PM
Joaquin seems impressed by Teleshas technique but nevertheless starts walking towards the door in an almost deliberately normal pace.

"I am not a runner. I can walk but I still suggest we just buy horses."

He opens the door but then stops, turns around and looks the blond man straight in the eyes and says:

"We should however choose a new place to meet after our little trip-I hear King`s Ford is beautifull this time of the year... ."

Ardurious
2014-04-14, 09:34 PM
"Indeed it is," the man nods, "There's a fine old inn in King's Ford - The Boatman's Longhouse, it's called. Find me there once you've recovered the girl. I'd suggest you not bring her into the village," he smirks, "But then, you're smart enough to know that."

Feo
2014-04-14, 09:44 PM
Without another word Joaquin walks through the door and waits for the party outside.

MichaelGoldclaw
2014-04-14, 10:47 PM
"Alright, let's do this." Nali left the building and then said. "By the way, what are your skillsets. I have small, but useful training as a military commander."

Feo
2014-04-14, 11:41 PM
"Well I did receive training as a military commander when I was but a chi...
...some time ago.
Nowadays I am just a simple poet and warrior". He pauses and seems lost in thought for a while.
"To be honest I never considered not fighting alone. Beeing alone".He pauses again.
"Thing is I still remember some of my training-
and I picked up some arcane tricks along the way. I might actually be usefull to others in a fight".
He pauses yet again seemingly amazed by his own words.
Then he starts speaking again in seemingly conversational tone:
"Tell me how did someone so young learn to command men?"

Shimeran
2014-04-14, 11:45 PM
"I merely coax the raw stuff of creation to liberate itself with a few choice phrases." Folly grins before continuing, "The results are quite spectacular." The grin fades a bit as he continues, "My keepers don't seem to share my entusiasm for that though, so more often I'm tasked with less stimulating guard duties."

Necroticplague
2014-04-15, 05:06 AM
As they all exit to go, Telesha adds to the discussion about abilities.
"I can summon a minor spirit to help protect us. But more useful is an odd power I have that lets me fight several people almost as easily as one, that makes my blows ring out like the measured meter of the chorus to help me take my part in this three-part meat play.In addition to my earlier-noted swiftness."

Ardurious
2014-04-19, 01:48 PM
Two days later...

The group has been traveling for some time now. They had left Norefast behind after speaking with the mysterious man. Though wary of him, they decided to pursue his task, if only for a chance at gaining some knowledge of the prince's killer.

They had taken an old branch off of the main road some miles outside of the village of Thistlewatch, following the cracked and eroded cobblestone. It is mid-day now as they approach they area that the man had pointed out on the map. A ruined tower lies off to the roadside, fallen in on itself long ago.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iMKfVxW1bCWOXP9a_Y8wqVOVwCCoOlPBncPT-YowoAI/edit?usp=sharing)

As the adventurers approach the ruins, a piercing howl floats across the cool spring breeze. Several sets of heavy footfalls can be heard in the distance, approaching quickly.

I'll give each of you one IC post to react, as well as the choice to stay out in the open or attempt a Stealth check to hide in the ruined tower or the nearby trees. You can make any other checks you want to see it you might be able to determine what's coming.

Necroticplague
2014-04-19, 03:08 PM
Hearing what sound like a fight coming, Telesha takes the moment to draw her weapons, dagger in one and club in the other. Of course, surprise is always useful, so she accompanies this with a bolt to the tree for some cover.

Move Action:Draw Rhythm Dagger
Move Action:Draw Club
Minor Action:Using Falling Needles movement to move 3 into J3
Stealth:[roll0]
Perception:[roll1]

Son_of_Meepo
2014-04-19, 05:29 PM
Valuar takes to the cover of the nearby trees and silently draws his blades, the shadows cast by the trees allow him ample coverage to blend in as he looks out for trouble.

Stealth: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

Shimeran
2014-04-19, 06:47 PM
Seeing his allies moving into position, Folly decides taking to high ground might be a good idea. He'll move over to the nearest tree and try to swing him up onto it's lower branch.

Moving to J4 and trying to get at least a square or 2 up. Assuming climb succeeds, he'll use his minor to draw his khopesh. Athletics [roll0], Stealth (assuming -5 penalty for the movement) [roll1], Perception [roll2].

MichaelGoldclaw
2014-04-19, 07:19 PM
Nali unsheaths her sword, but stands her ground. Hiding would be dishonorable to her. She instead kept her guard up.

Feo
2014-04-20, 09:06 PM
Joaquin sees no point in hiding since one of his allies is out in the open (and he sucks at all physical labour).
He however draws his bow and readies an arrow.
He also looks carefully for potential danger.

[roll0] Perception

Ardurious
2014-04-20, 10:28 PM
Valura, Telesha, and Folly waste no time in darting off towards the nearest tree. The drow and the human nestle themselves within the branches, out of sight of anything that might approach. The outsider leaps and grabs hold of a low-hanging branch. With surprising grace he scales the tree, coming to rest atop a sturdy limb. He had failed to notice beforehand, however, that this particular limb stood before a great gap in the tree's foliage, exposing him to all around.

Nali holds her ground, weapon in hand as she awaits what may come. Behind her, Jaoquin merely shakes his head and pulls his bow from his back. He nocks an arrow, but doesn't draw it.

The footfalls grow louder, approaching now with frenzied speed. Whatever is coming, it has no doubt spotted the adventurers.

You hear what sounds like separate sets of footsteps moving quickly off to each side of the main group. They grow further and further away until you can no longer hear them.
You attempt to make out what approaches, but the sun sits high on the horizon before you. No matter how hard you squint, you are unable to see anything in the distance.
A moment later, three figures crest the hill ahead. As they grow closer, it becomes clear what they are. Leading the procession is a wiry hobgoblin mounted atop a large wolf. To either side of him is a goblin riding a smaller - though no less ferocious-looking - wolf.

The three ride towards you at breakneck speed. At the last possible moment, the hobgoblin holds up a hand, pulling hard on the make-shift reins fitted to his animal with the other. The beast digs its paws into the dirt and skids to a halt some ten paces from Nali. The two goblins do the same, pulling their wolves to a halt. One fumbles the reins and nearly falls from atop his mount before regaining his seat. He spits and mutters something in an unintelligible tongue.

The hobgoblin looks Nali up and down. He then tilts his head to stare at Jaoquin, noticing the bow and arrow in his hands. A lopsided grin crosses his cracked lips as his eyes pass over Folly crouching amidst the branches of the tree.

"What you . . ." he coughs, a horrible wracking sound emanating from low in his chest, "What you doing here? This Boss Gruk turf!" He fixes his yellow eyes on Nali.

Necroticplague
2014-04-21, 10:26 AM
Telesha remains hidden in the foliage, observing this warboss's curious plan, to jut ride up like that. After all, they very well could ( and in this case, do) have an ambush set up. Unless they have one if their own planned.....
perception roll for the ambush that might be coming:[roll0]

MichaelGoldclaw
2014-04-21, 02:23 PM
Nali looks at the goblin. She hes no fear in her eyes. She lowers her sword, but not her guard. She then starts speaking. She withholds nothing "I am Nali of the clan Peacewarrior. Now, last time I checked, this is the King's 'turf'. He has more authority than you goblins and we should be allowed to pass, but I doubt you care about that, but what you would care is your wellbeing. I happen to be traveling with more companions. You may only see the one, but if something was to happen to us, they would come for you. Now I will say we are not just passing through. We are here to recover a Dragonborn like myself and a displacer beast. I was lead to believe you have then under captivity and I was hoping we can negotiate."

[roll0]

Ardurious
2014-04-21, 05:18 PM
The hobgoblin sits his makeshift saddle for a moment, seeming to consider Nali's words. The two goblins beside him look unsure. One bobs back and forth nervously atop his wolf.

"Maybe Boss Gruk do have lizard and shifty cat," the hobgoblin speaks slowly, choosing each word as he speaks, "Me been ridin' long days. Don't know what Boss been doin'," the creature shrugs. He eyes Nali closely. One of the goblins at his side pokes at his leg with the blunt end of a javelin. He casts an irritated glance at it. It rises up on its animal and whispers something. The hobgoblin listens, then nods.

"I no see much lizards here. You just here for friend?" his bloodshot eyes pass from Nali to Jaoquin, then to Folly up in the tree. "You got others, yeah? You sayin' 'ambush'. We no want ambush. What you give us for friend?"

To the north (up from your current position on the map), off in the far distance, you can barely make out what appears to be two figures. They are moving slowly towards you. One appears to be of about the height of a human, though only when whatever it sits upon is measured with it. The other is lower to the ground, walking on all fours.

Feo
2014-04-23, 11:05 AM
"Speaking of 'ambush' " , Joaquin takes a step towards his dragonborn ally and concentrates on his words for a short second.
He continues his speech loud enough to adress a crowded council hall (and his hidden allies) :
"Where did you send your allies to? To set up a little ambush of your own? To get reinforcments? To warn your Boss?
We are bargaining in good faith and all we ask of you is to do the same."
He studies the Hobgoblins face and continues:
"Would you be willing to show us your prisoners on neutral ground so we can come to a fair understanding?"

Diplomacy + Words of Friendship (+5 Daily, minor-action)
[roll]1d20+6 Insight

Ardurious
2014-04-25, 08:43 PM
"Hunting," the hobgoblin replies simply, "We not have much food. Days getting short n' cold. White rain come soon." The two goblins at his side chatter anxiously amongst themselves in their own tongue, having grown bored with the talking.

"We not bring prisoner. She stay with Boss Gruk. But you," the hobgoblin reaches out a lanky arm and points at Jaoquin, "We take you to her. Just you." His lips peel back in a vicious grin, revealing sharp yellow teeth.

(I'll count your Insight as if you had taken ten, giving you a 16)

While the hobgoblin seems sincere about taking you to see the captive dragonborn, you notice that he failed to mention anything about bringing you back afterwards.

In regards to his allies, he indeed seems truthful about the food shortage, as well as having sent them off to hunt. You are uncertain if that was the extent of their orders, however.

MichaelGoldclaw
2014-04-25, 10:10 PM
"How do we know if he will be brought back?"

Necroticplague
2014-04-26, 04:57 PM
Telesha takes note of these new approaches, takes a small logical leap, and whispers to the drow in hiding with her "Two heading towards us. Probably one mounted warg rider,plus a warg sans rider."

Son_of_Meepo
2014-04-28, 05:17 PM
Valuar says nothing. He merely nods to Telesha while running a finger along the hilt of his dagger.

Shimeran
2014-04-28, 08:03 PM
Seeing as the boss seems to have laid eyes on him, Folly decided to add his own two cents to the gambit. "If you'd like to swear to our fellow safety's, I know a spell that that can ensure that. Of course, breaking that word would mean you suffer the full weight of a curse.."

Stretching, he continues "As fo trading, you've already mentioned food is in short supply. Giving you more food that you'd get from the prisoners see like a net win for you."

Feo
2014-04-28, 08:04 PM
Oblivious to the looming violence Joaquin smiles at the Goblins and says:

"My companions raise interesting points-
and while I am honoured by your generous offer I am hesitant to just leave with people who -by their own admission- take prisoners and sell them.
But I do believe that you have indeed captured who we seek so maybe we should just agree on a price first and worry about the exchange second?"
And then I might just visit your camp (under the protection of my companions spell of course)

Ardurious
2014-04-29, 12:17 PM
The hobgoblin looks to Folly, then back to Jaoquin. The goblins at his side continue their chatter, growing louder. One of them seems to be growing angry. He gestures wildly at Jaoquin. The hobgoblin looks to them and barks something in their strange tongue. The two grudgingly quiet down.

"What you give us?" the hobgoblin asks, "We get food from devil-men. They want lizards. They pay well." His fingers play across the whip coiled at his side. "You pay better?"

Feo
2014-04-29, 05:42 PM
"Well my companions are truly excellent hunters (you still don`t see them after all) and will procure you the finest game and I just might get my hands on some coin to make it really worth your while but why don`t you just tell me what your tiefling friends are paying and then I can simply tell you if we will be able to offer you more?"

Ardurious
2014-05-01, 10:11 AM
The conversation is interrupted as another hobgoblin appears on the horizon. This one is much larger and rides atop a massive black wolf, barreling at full speed towards his allies. He stops nearby to the first hobgoblin and leans down in his beast's saddle. He speaks harshly in a strange tongue. The first hobgoblin and his goblin allies seem to shrink away from his words. He gestures to Jaoquin and Nali.

The smaller hobgoblin and the two goblins look to the human and the dragonborn. The large hobgoblin barks one final order before sitting back up in his saddle. He flashes Jaoquin a wicked smile, then tears off back up the way he came. The smaller hobgoblin turns to Jaoquin and Nali now. He still seems somewhat surprised by what had just occurred, but he gathers his wits quickly.

He pulls the whip from his waist and uncoils it, then barks an order at the two goblins. The goblins spur their wolves and slip off, followed quickly by the hobgoblin. He cracks his whip at Jaoquin, the thick length of leather passing inches over the bard's head, then repositions.

Son_of_Meepo
2014-05-01, 10:50 AM
When what Valuar assumes is the leader appears, Valuar has his target. His knife flies from his hand lashing out at both the large hobgoblin and his mount.

He casts a baleful glare at the hobgoblin as he backs away from the tree.

Initiative: [roll0] (Includes bonus from Nali's Combat Leader)

Standard: Twin Strike
Attack 1: Hobgoblin Leader
[roll1] vs AC (Includes CA)
[roll2] damage plus 5 necrotic damage for being hidden.
Attack 2: Hobgoblin Leader's Wolf
[roll3] vs AC (Includes CA)
[roll4] damage plus 5 necrotic damage for being hidden.

Free: Assassin's Shroud on Hobgoblin Leader (1/2 used)

Move: K2

Necroticplague
2014-05-01, 12:11 PM
Seeming to follow her allies attack, Telesha runs at the hobgoblin, with quick lashes striking at him and his mount with blade before trying to dismount him with a sudden blow from the club.

move action: move to f8.
Standard: Falling Needles attack.using dagger as implement.
Damage:[roll0]
Attack against hobgoblin:[roll1]
Attack against his mount:[roll2]
If either of those hit, flurry of blows on the hobgoblin to slide him into e8. This does 4 damage and makes him grant combat advantage for me until the end of my next turn.

The above does not count the advantage provided by surprise.

Initiative:[roll3]

Necroticplague
2014-05-04, 01:50 PM
Continuing with her onslaught, Telesha repeats the motions again before swiftly moving away.

Standard: Falling Needles attack.using dagger as implement.Any hit get -2 to attack me until beggining of my next turn
Damage:[roll0]
Attack against hobgoblin:[roll1]
Attack against his mount:[roll2]
If either of those hit, flurry of blows on the hobgoblin to slide him into e7. This does 4 damage and makes him grant combat advantage for me until the end of my next turn.

Minor action:Using Falling Needle movement to shift to G7
Move action:Move into I8