PDA

View Full Version : Do you pay the XP cost to use spells stored in magic items?

RoboEmperor
2014-04-13, 12:34 AM
Note the "USE" and not "CREATE" in the question.
I know you have to pay the xp cost to create the item, but do you need to pay to use the item?
I'm talking about Wondrous items (ring of three wishes), Scrolls (vision scroll), Staves, etc.

I have read my manual over and over, and all it mentions is cost to create, no mention about using spells with xp costs.

ryu
2014-04-13, 12:39 AM
Note the "USE" and not "CREATE" in the question.
I know you have to pay the xp cost to create the item, but do you need to pay to use the item?
I'm talking about Wondrous items (ring of three wishes), Scrolls (vision scroll), Staves, etc.

I have read my manual over and over, and all it mentions is cost to create, no mention about using spells with xp costs.

No cost to use. Even with wish the cost to use which can be variable was covered by the creation cost.

RoboEmperor
2014-04-13, 12:53 AM
No cost to use. Even with wish the cost to use which can be variable was covered by the creation cost.

So you're saying if I have the scribe scroll feat, I can create a scroll of wish for a one time fee of 6153xp to create the scroll, and then use the scroll to craft a weapon with a +10 enhancement bonus which would normally cost 8,000 x 2 +5000 = 21,000xp? So like, for the cost of 6153xp I can create any magic item I want with wish, without feats (other than scribe scroll) or knowing the spells.

Also, if what you said is true, what is stopping a person from using the last wish on a ring of three wishes to create another ring of three wishes?

edited to make my question clearer

Somensjev
2014-04-13, 12:57 AM
Also, if what you said is true, what is stopping a person from using the last wish on a ring of three wishes to create another ring of three wishes?

DM intervention.

no seriously, iirc it's perfectly RAW-legal to do that.

ryu
2014-04-13, 01:03 AM
First one is illegal to my knowledge. Second is fine.

Slipperychicken
2014-04-13, 01:04 AM
DM intervention

Said intervention will most likely come in the form of kinetic energy transfer, from his copy of the DMG to your forehead.

RoboEmperor
2014-04-13, 01:10 AM
First one is illegal to my knowledge. Second is fine.

Are you saying I cannot create magic items via wishes stored in items? Like with the ring of three wishes, or some staff of wish, or w.e

Said intervention will most likely come in the form of kinetic energy transfer, from his copy of the DMG to your forehead.

He'll probably house rule that you can't do that, instead of getting violent XD

Forrestfire
2014-04-13, 01:13 AM
Items with exp costs built in can only cast the spell up to the amount that the exp stored can cover. The listed price of a wish scroll "Assumes no material component cost in excess of 10,000 gp and no XP cost in excess of 5,000 XP."

If you want to have an effect with a higher exp cost, you have to put that exp into the item during creation.

RoboEmperor
2014-04-13, 01:15 AM
Alright, thanks everybody!

TuggyNE
2014-04-13, 01:55 AM
So you're saying if I have the scribe scroll feat, I can create a scroll of wish for a one time fee of 6153xp to create the scroll, and then use the scroll to craft a weapon with a +10 enhancement bonus which would normally cost 8,000 x 2 +5000 = 21,000xp? So like, for the cost of 6153xp I can create any magic item I want with wish, without feats (other than scribe scroll) or knowing the spells.

Neither works, as partially noted; wish, in item creation (not crafting) mode, uses up more XP the more valuable the item created is, with no upper limit. Therefore it is not possible to create items at any sort of discount, and worse, because a scroll or ring of wish is created with a certain XP budget for its use, it is not possible to create items that would require more XP than that. (In the case of the scroll, that's no magic item at all. In the case of the ring, it seems to have a few hundred XP free per wish, which gives you any magic item up to 98 xp in cost. Not very impressive, and nowhere near the 15918 you'd need for another ring.)

If you want an exploit in this area, there's only really two basic ones: get a monster (or your own shapeshifted self) to cast wish for you as an SLA or Su ability. This can be done with gate, (lesser/greater) planar binding, encountering an efreeti or noble djinn and defeating it, simulacrum/ice assassin, or various still more exotic methods.