PDA

View Full Version : Erfworld: how do I kill a flying unit

Rephath
2014-04-13, 06:57 AM
Most of the erfworld mechanics I get. Some I don't. But archery and the slaying of flying units baffles me to bafflement.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, flying units can only be attacked by other flying units when over mountains, water, and forest. Except they can be attacked over forest by forest capable units. Does this include with melee attacks? It seems to since the woodsy elves attacked the dwagons early on. But there's never a mention of archers being able to attack flying units. Can archers and other ranged units attack adjacent hexes on turn? And if so, why can't an archer attack a flying unit over the ocean when said archer is standing on the beach. And if not, why is it an archer if its ranged attacks can't travel any distance? (0 hexes = no distance). So under what conditions can a dwagon be melee attacked?

Rephath
2014-04-13, 07:11 AM
Correction: gumps did the melee attacking. Elves shot arrows.

Fjolnir
2014-04-13, 08:21 AM
Archers can attack flying units, but only if they are in the same hex

NEO|Phyte
2014-04-13, 08:35 AM
Most of the erfworld mechanics I get. Some I don't. But archery and the slaying of flying units baffles me to bafflement.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, flying units can only be attacked by other flying units when over mountains, water, and forest. Except they can be attacked over forest by forest capable units. Does this include with melee attacks? It seems to since the woodsy elves attacked the dwagons early on. But there's never a mention of archers being able to attack flying units. Can archers and other ranged units attack adjacent hexes on turn? And if so, why can't an archer attack a flying unit over the ocean when said archer is standing on the beach. And if not, why is it an archer if its ranged attacks can't travel any distance? (0 hexes = no distance). So under what conditions can a dwagon be melee attacked?

Had to do some archive digging, but yes archers can attack other hexes on-turn (http://www.erfworld.com/2010/06/book-2-%E2%80%93-parsons-klog-001/).

As for the other question, when the dwagon is not flying, I would assume.

lunar2
2014-04-13, 04:19 PM
one thing that should be mentioned. there is distance within a hex. it just takes 0 move to reposition yourself within that hex. so archery within a hex, and even within the same elevation of a hex, does have its purpose. you can attack units before they can attack you.

DLcygnet
2014-04-15, 11:35 AM
Correction: gumps did the melee attacking. Elves shot arrows.

This is cheating a little, but the woodland creature mechanic is probably "reach" - borrowed from Magic: The Gathering. http://mtg.wikia.com/wiki/Reach

On turn Archers should all be able to reach airborne or treeborne units off-hex on their turn. If attacking/defending within their own hex/city - treats, spiders, and archers should be able to reach.

ObadiahtheSlim
2014-04-16, 01:24 PM
The way it seems to work, any unit with anti-air capabilities (archery, magic) can do it whenever they are in the same hex. Otherwise you need a special terrain attack like the Gumps in a forest hex. (http://www.erfworld.com/wp-content/uploads/book1/059.jpg). There is likely some sort of rule that water units can hit flying in water hexes and forest units can hit flying in forest hexes.