PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Wands reqs (path)

Icarion
2014-04-13, 08:27 AM
I got a ninja on my group that got his hands on a CLW wand, following the rules of use magic device...

" Use a Wand, Staff, or Other Spell Trigger Item: Normally, to use a wand, you must have the wand's spell on your class spell list. This use of the skill allows you to use a wand as if you had a particular spell on your class spell list. Failing the roll does not expend a charge. "

with a DC of 20. "use a wand" , he just use it to cure us outside of battle.

my questions:

-does he have to make another save to emulate class feature/stats ?

-does that allows a lv 1 character cast lv 9 spells ? -charge is not wasted on a fail-

thnx for your opinions !

genericwit
2014-04-13, 09:14 AM
You can't emulate class features/stats with a wand (so no, you can't use a wizard-made wand to summon a familiar or a bard-made wand to inspire courage) period.

And if the spell's on a wand, a 20 will let you use it.

Yanisa
2014-04-13, 10:02 AM
You don't have to emulate class features, use a wand is a single roll of UMD and compasses everything you need to use wands (or staffs).
Nitpicking, but: A wand contains a spell of 4th level or lower. Staffs do go further all the way up to nine. They share the same check, so details.
Also remember: rolling a natural 1 and failing to use to the item means you need to wait 24 hours before you can try again.

Beyond that, yes, if a DM gives away a high level wand or staff, its a DC20 UMD away from being used. Just don't roll a one until you reach +19 UMD. :smallwink:

Icarion
2014-04-13, 10:06 AM
thnx guys ! also, thnx yanisa for the correction on 4th level spells (Y)