PDA

View Full Version : Trans-Atlantic Carrion Crown (IC)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Untarr
2014-04-13, 08:49 AM
WELCOME TO CARRION CROWN
[CENTER]http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B1QGw8atRk3_RjRhQjZzOGs1Mlk
This is a horror campaign. As such, you can expect some really cool, but also mature, moments. If you feel uncomfortable at times, it means I am doing a good job as a Dungeon Master. That being said, if at any time you feel it is too much, message me. I want to scare you, horrify you, surprise you, but I don't want to ruin the game for you. Good Luck, and Have Fun.

Sidenote: I will have spoilers behind "DM Screen" (As written in the spoiler description). It is IMPERATIVE for the mood that you not read these. These are the things that would be behind a DM Screen such that you as a player at a table would never see anyways. I can't stop you, but you will ruin your experience.

Thunder rolls overhead as you gather at the entrance of the Restlands, the cemetery for the town of Ravengro. Through some trick of the light from the clouds, everything seems to be a shade of grey. Even the grass has lost its color underneath this dark sky. In the distance, you hear the faint howl of a wolf.

A modest crowd has gathered at its entrance, smaller than one would think for a man like the Professor. Everyone seems somber and the conversations are hushed.

There are two men in what appears to be a military uniform engrossed in their own conversation. One of which has a scar across his left eyebrow. His hair is cropped short and has a carefully trimmed goatee and waxed mustache. Another old man, wearing a fashionable black suit, is off to the side talking with a woman in a modest black dress. A rather large man and what appears to be his son sit hushed on the ground next to the road. Next to them stands a pudgy, aged man wearing an expensive pair of silver spectacles. Suddenly the trio burst out laughing. Noticing the dirty looks of the rest of the crowd, the large man with the spectacles clears his throat. Sorry, we were sharing a fond memory of the professor The last person you notice is an expensively dressed handsome man with styled jet-black hair standing next to the casket.

Soon after you arrive, a young woman dressed in dark conservative clothes walks up from town. Eyes red and puffy from tears, she addresses the five of you and the man standing next to the casket..

Hello, I am Kendra Lorrimor, thank you for being here. In his will the professor requested that you five and Adivion be pallbearers. Please place yourselves around the casket so that we can proceed.

The expensively dressed man smiles as he introduces himself. I am Adivion. While I am sad about this day, it is an honor to be chosen as a pallbearer for the professor. He was a great man. I shall take one of the rear positions.

Please arrange yourselves around the casket. There are 6 possible handles, Adivion will be at spot #6. Casket (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQGw8atRk3_dDVyVUVMbWZkckd6aUNHWnRTZ1dxV VE&usp=drive_web#gid=0)

You recognize the Lepidstadt scar across the uniformed man's left eyebrow as a sign of martial prowess.
You recognize him as Cilas Graydon, a brutally effective military strategist.

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B1QGw8atRk3_Q1p3cnZCdWRabVk

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-20, 09:02 AM
Kristoph somberly bows to Miss Lorrimor and says, "My lady, we all mourn your father's passing. He was a man after my own heart and a staunch champion for life and all that is good in it. We are honored by this request. May Pharasma judge him kindly and send his soul to rest with the noble dead." With this he moves to position himself at position #2.

"Well met, Adivion. You may call me Kristoph. How came you to know Professor Lorrimor?" the paladin asks, nodding his head slightly in the direction of the gentleman.

Farmerbink
2014-04-20, 09:04 AM
A tall and well-toned man with shoulder length black hair steps forward calmly. With a slight bow, he speaks to Adivion. I could not have stated it better myself. It is indeed an honor.

Without another word, he steps around the coffin to the back of the other side.

standing at position #3.

Albinobrow
2014-04-20, 09:09 AM
With his cloak up covering as much of him as possible, Fruril silently heads over to spot #4. He nods his acknowledgement of the other three men in their positions as well.

MuffinMan
2014-04-20, 10:39 AM
A petite young woman, barely older than a girl, steps forward, hands hugging her shoulders. Her flame-red hair flashes in the still, heavy air as she nods during Kendra's introduction. Wordlessly, Aurora walks over to the center position between Adivion and Fruril (#5). Her eyes widen at Fruril's large and intimidating frame, and she swallows visibly. "Um, hello..."

From the skeletal branches of a nearby tree, a large mottled-grey barn owl sits and watches, tilting its head this way and that.

[roll0]

JWallyR
2014-04-20, 01:02 PM
A sun-weathered half-orc wordlessly steps up to the first position.

Untarr
2014-04-20, 01:48 PM
"Well met, Adivion. You may call me Kristoph. How came you to know Professor Lorrimor?" the paladin asks, nodding his head slightly in the direction of the gentleman.

Professor Lorrimor was the only man I ever found to be my intellectual equal. We were colleagues, rivals, teachers, and students of each other. But that is a story for another time perhaps. Adivion grabs the handle.

Lift on three? One, TWO...THREE!

You lift the casket off its stand. Though there are six of you holding it, the casket feels quite heavy. Kendra stands in front of you. Wiping away another tear, she begins to address all of the guests in a loud voice.

As the la...la..*sniff*...last surviving member of the Lorrimor family, I will lead. Guests, please take your places behind the casket.

The procession solemnly moves forward. There is no sound except from the foosteps against the stone path. As you round a corner, you notice that there is a group of men up ahead. Each seems to be holding some sort of farm implement, be it a shovel, a rake, or a pitchfork. In front stands a larger man holding a torch. As the procession gets closer, it is this man that begins to speak.

That is far enough. We been talking, and we don't want Lorrimor buried in the Restlands. You can take him upriver and bury him there if you want, but he ain't goin in the ground here!

Kendra clenches her fists
How dare they... What are you talking about? I arranged it with Father Grimburrow. He's Waiting for us! the grave's already been..."

You don't get it, woman. We won't have a necromancer buried in the same place as our kin. I suggest you move out while you still can. Folks are pretty upset about this right now.

You have a chance to respond. One post. If you hope to talk your way out of this, roll a Diplomacy Check in addition to what your character would say. If you want to fight them, remember you are still holding a casket and would need to deal with that first.

Map is here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQGw8atRk3_dDVyVUVMbWZkckd6aUNHWnRTZ1dxV VE#gid=2)

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-20, 01:58 PM
[roll0] Diplomacy (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/skills/diplomacy.html#_diplomacy) to change the attitudes of the gathered crowd
"Good people, this man was not a vile necromancer! He and I fought together against a group of skeletal undead not four months ago! Please, can't you see that Miss Lorrimor has suffered enough? Let this man be buried in the proper ways of our Lady, Pharasma, and be at peace," Kristoph entreats the crowd, raising his voice to be heard by all present.

Then, so as to be heard only by those around the casket, he says, "Be ready to set the casket down, carefully, should this get ugly. There is no sense in anyone getting hurt over the uninformed superstitions of honest people..."

Farmerbink
2014-04-20, 03:40 PM
There is no sense in anyone getting hurt over the uninformed superstitions of honest people..."

Just loud enough for his companions to hear, the black-haired man comments, Once again, I find myself surrounded with persons of wisdom beyond their years.

Raising his voice to be heard by the people, he continues As is often the case in such matters, it is difficult to provide evidence or proof, but I can assure you all, from personal experience, that the good professor absolutely did not practice that which should not be practiced. His goals, efforts, and means were always of the most noble and reasonable sort.

Shortly before entering the public area, Elian would have cast disguise self on himself , in order to appear more human. [roll0] disguise. Since the appearance is that of himself, only human, I'm assuming no one will even make an opposed roll unless I give them reason to. I don't really plan to.

[roll1]diplomacy

Farmerbink
2014-04-20, 03:43 PM
It occurs to me that the statement I made to the crowd is probably not entirely true. I'd be more than happy to roll a bluff check in lieu of the (obviously not my forte) diplomacy check I made a moment ago. If it suits you:

[roll0] bluff check

FIVE. FIVE FREAKING NATURAL 1s IN LIKE TWO DAYS. WTF DICE GODS!?

MuffinMan
2014-04-20, 07:45 PM
Aurora's brow furrows at the sight of the villagers - mobs wielding pitchforks are exactly what the Professor helped her avoid years ago, and yet, somehow, here they were anyway...

She says nothing during the back-and-forth, but her shoulders start to hunch and she casts a nervous glance over to the tree with the owl, making sure he isn't doing anything... conspicuous.

Albinobrow
2014-04-20, 07:50 PM
Knowing that kind words are not his strong suit, Fruril makes eye contact with the paladin ready to lower the casket of his friend, should this get ugly. But he will not allow the Professor to be disgraced in such way.

JWallyR
2014-04-20, 11:08 PM
Gundwolf says nothing, but his upper lip rises to bare a hint of snarl. With his left hand, he loosens his flail in the loop on which it rests.

Untarr
2014-04-21, 06:21 AM
Necromancy? Are you really that ignorant?

A voice from the crowd shouts out-
Look, they usin' a couple of orc mutts to carry the casket! Why we standin' here talkin to some freakshow tryin' to bury a necrominser with our kinfolk?

The leader, Gibbs, motions to a few of the men and points to the group.
Shoulda turned around when you had the chance.

Eight of the men advance on the group. Nervously at first, glancing at each other with wide eyes. Finally, you hear Gibbs shout

What are you waitin' for? Show that bitch what we think of her and her freakshow!

The men begin to move faster...

COMBAT
Initiatives and First round actions.

Farmerbink
2014-04-21, 07:17 AM
The group lowers the coffin as slowly as is reasonably possible, as "planned."

[roll0] initiative

Elian steps further away from the group and draws his crossbow.

2 move actions. 1 to move, and 1 to draw crossbow.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-21, 08:13 AM
Round 1

"It looks like the good Professor may not stand alone before Pharasma today. Let's try and make this swift and avoid killing anyone if possible," Kristoph grimly says as he lowers the coffin with the rest. "Miss Lorrimor, please step behind us," he continues as he moves forward and draws his blade.

He then yells at the crowd angrily, "Don't be ignorant fools! There has been enough death here today!"

[roll0] Initiaitive
Move action to put down the coffin with the rest of the funeral party, move forward (between Kendra and the mob) and draw longsword, attacking with the flat of the blade (for nonlethal damage, 1d20-1 to hit) for any attacks of opportunity.

MuffinMan
2014-04-21, 09:22 AM
Round 1

[roll0]

Aurora doesn't know who to trust, but the well-spoken holy man seems like the safest choice. As soon as the casket has been set down she darts behind it, and as inconspicuously as possible she casts a spell. Suddenly, Kristoph begins to grow taller...

Move behind the casket, or as far back as possible to keep Kristoph in 25ft range.
Cast Enlarge Person:
1min: +2 Str, -2 Dex, -1 atk, -1 AC, 10 ft reach, large weapon damage

Albinobrow
2014-04-21, 09:39 AM
[roll0]

Realizing that the villagers are not going to budge, he lowers the casket down with the others, draws his heavy flail, and moves up near the paladin preparing for the mob in front of him.

lower casket, move up, draw heavy flail, prepare to disarm as many villagers as he can. Hopefully with out weapons they will leave. Hopefully.

Farmerbink
2014-04-21, 09:58 AM
As he is readying his crossbow, Elian makes one last effort to sway the crowd before him. He raises his voice to be heard above the crowd, exclaiming:

Think about what you're doing, people! I see 5 well-armed trained fighters before a crowd of villagers with pitchforks! Are you so eager to leave your wives widows and your children fatherless? Leave us be, and we will be more than happy to do the same. If you attack us, you leave us no choice.

Perhaps appealing to good sense will work, where appealing to good nature failed.... Poor fools.

(I have a rank in perform(oratory) if you want me to roll to be heard)

JWallyR
2014-04-21, 11:04 AM
Round 1

Gund lowers his corner of the casket and draws his heavy flail, spinning the business end a few times for dramatic effect. His silent snarl turns into an angry grin absent of any mirth.

Want to see how many show up to your service? Let's find out... snarls Gund at Gibbs.

Initiative: [roll0]
Move action to ready the weapon, no attempt to move toward the group.
Intimidate to demoralize gibbs: [roll1]

Untarr
2014-04-21, 05:42 PM
Elian Initiative: 23 - Draw Crossbow
Kendra Initiative: [roll0] 21 - Cast Diviner's Fortune on Kristoph (+1), Move Behind Coffin
Fruril (18) - Draw Flail, Move
Aurora (10) - Enlarge Person on Kristoph
Kristoph (9.5)- Move and Draw Weapon
Local's Initiative: [roll1] 9 - Move Forward, Full Defense (+2 AC)
Gundwolf (7) - Ready Weapon - Intimidate 13 vs 15 (Fails)

A few grunts and moans accompany the action as the pallbearers lower the coffin to the ground. With heavy thud, they release it the last few inches. Elian draws his crossbow and beseeches the crowd of locals to see reason. His voice is lost amongst the angry shouts of "mutt" and "necromancer". Kendra steps back, slowly at first. She turns around with her eyes wide. They frantically scan the group and seem to settle on Kristoph. Moving next to him, she touches his sword hand with tears in her eyes.

Don't let them ruin the last memory I'll have of my father...please...
She casts Diviner's Fortune on you. Next round add +1 to attack rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and saving throws.

Aurora, ducking down next to the casket, mutters something and waves her hands.
She casts Enlarge Person
The change is subtle at first, but by the time Kristoph reaches the villagers, it is obvious that something has happened. Fruril, walking beside him, looks up at his new ally, who now towers over him and the villagers.
You are now a large creature.
+2 Str, -2 Dex, -1 atk, -1 AC, 10 ft reach, large weapon damage

Gundwolf growls out a threat at Gibbs. Gibbs, undeterred, shouts at the advancing men.

Look at their sorcery! More proof that they should never have been allowed, get them!

Feel free to read the spoilers named Kristoph. All mechanical (re: numbers) will be in spoilers so that the flow of the narrative is not interrupted. If I've missed anything, let me know so I can make adjustments.
Map Updated (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQGw8atRk3_dDVyVUVMbWZkckd6aUNHWnRTZ1dxV VE&usp=drive_web#gid=2)
Begin Round 2

Farmerbink
2014-04-21, 06:32 PM
Round 2

Sigh... if that's the game you want to play, I suppose I'll oblige.

Elian loads his crossbow and lets fly at the troublemaker in the back.

[roll0] attack roll
[roll1] crit confirm
[roll2] damage

JWallyR
2014-04-21, 07:03 PM
Round 2

Gundwolf moves forward to the foremost goon, spinning his flail at his head...

Move to the frontmost (at the time) enemy, power attacking with heavy flail:
Attack: [roll0] (BAB +1, Str bonus +4, Power Attack -1
Crit confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] (Str bonus +4, Power attack +2, both multiplied by 1.5 for 2h weapon = +9 total

Albinobrow
2014-04-21, 07:31 PM
Round 2

Fruril finding his voice and no longer trying to hide his heritage, swings his flail at the villager in front and to the right of him, attempting to rid him of his weapon. Please just let him rest in piece!

Disarm attempt (+2 with flail, incurring OA) on guy in (I,16)
[roll0]

MuffinMan
2014-04-21, 08:32 PM
Round 2

With confrontation now inevitable, a sudden change comes over Aurora. Her face goes blank and expressionless as she rises from a crouch and draws herself up to her full height. With measured paces, she walks to the front of the casket and locks eyes with the foremost villager. For just an instant, her pupils seem to expand until her eyes are entirely covered in a glossy jet black - then they snap back to normal before he's sure of what he's seen.

Move to H20, and then use Evil Eye on the nearest villager, preferably the one Gundwolf / Fruril are about to attack.
Evil Eye: -2 to target's AC for 7 rounds. A DC 14 Will save reduces the duration to one round. (mind-affecting ability)

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-21, 11:19 PM
Round 2

Kristoph Harrisson (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=853258)
Male Lawful Good Half-Elf Paladin, Level 1, Init +2, HP 13/13, Speed 20 ft. (30 ft. Base)
AC 14, Touch 7, CMD 14, Fort +4, Ref +0, Will +2, CMB +8, Base Attack Bonus 1, Action Points -
+1 Damage vs. Undead Longsword (N/A) +6 (2d6+3, 19-20/x2)
Scale Mail, Heavy Steel Shield (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, -1 Size), -2 Charging
Abilities Str 16, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 7, Cha 18
Condition Enlarge Person, Charging
Kristoph sighs before he bursts into action. With a grunt he charges directly through the crowd of angry villagers at Gibbs, using his newfound mass to help him force them back.

Kristoph is attempting to charge Gibbs by overrun (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/combat.html#_overrun)ning the crowd. He does not have any feats to prevent attacks of opportunity, so he will incur attacks from at up to five villagers (2 can avoid the overrun, there aren't being targeted with overrun but can attack me due to my movement).

Overrun attempts on both villagers in G14 and G15, charge attack on Gibbs (using lethal damage).
[roll0] Combat Maneuver Check vs. G15 (unless he let's me pass, +2 from charge included)
[roll1] Combat Maneuver Check vs. G14 (unless he let's me pass, +2 from charge included)
[roll2] Charge on Gibbs, [roll3] crit confirmation on a natural 19-20 for x2 damage, [roll4] damage, aiming to end my action in squares F12, F13, G12, and G13.

Untarr
2014-04-22, 06:31 PM
Elian - Attack Gibbs (Miss)
Kendra - Acid Splash [roll0] vs 10 for 1d4 Acid DMG
Fruril - Disarm I, 16 (Success)
Aurora - Evil Eye DC 14 vs [roll1] on (H,16)
Kristoph - Overrun Attempt
AoO#1 - [roll2] for [roll3] NONLETHAL
AoO#2 - [roll4] for [roll5] NONLETHAL
Successfully Overruns and knocks prone G,15
Fails at Overrunning G,14
Locals - [roll6] for [roll7] NONLETHAL vs 16 (Kristoph)
[roll8] for [roll9] NONLETHAL vs 16 (Kristoph)
[roll10] for [roll11] NONLETHAL vs 16 (Kristoph)
[roll12] for [roll13] NONLETHAL vs 17 (Fruril)
Gundwolf - Move to I,17, Kill H,16

Elian draws back a crossbow bolt and fires at Gibs, but to no avail. The shot goes wide! Kendra points her finger at the mob and lets loose a green bolt of acid. In the chaos of the melee, her hesitation causes it to miss severely high. Fruril's flail wraps around the pickaxe of one of the men and with a mighty pull tugs it free from him. The man begins stuttering, eyes wide staring at his now empty hands.

One of the attacking men feels a sudden chill over him, and begins to shake nervously, dropping the front end of his pitchfork into the ground. Using this oppurtunity, Gundwolf moves in and brutally strikes the man across the face. A sickening crunch is all that is heard as the heavy flail crushes his skull. Blood splatters everywhere as his body collapses to the ground.

Meanwhile, Kristoph attempts to move through the crowd of attackers, using his newfound size to his advantage. While he manages to knock one man over, it is not before he gets hit with the pitchfork the man is holding. Thrown off balance by the attack, Kristoph falls to one knee before he can get through the second man. The locals, fearful of this huge attacker, surround and begin to attack Kristoph. One manages to connect solidly with a shovel and Kristoph grunts in pain. He stands back up, but the makings of a black eye are already apparent.

The men next to their now dead friend begin to panic. The one without a weapons drops to his knees and cries out MERCY! The one knocked over by Kristoph puts his hands over his head and begins whispering something into the dirt.

He's praying and weeping.

Watching his friend die, Gibs begins to run!

Elians Attack Missed
Kendra's Acid Attack Missed
Fruril Successfully Disarmed I, 16 (now designated with a "d" for disarmed)
Kristoph - First Overrun Successful, second fails. One of the AoO's deals 5 nonlethal, the other misses
Locals - 3 attack Kristoph, 2 miss, 1 hits for 7 nonlethal
Gundwolf - beat the hell out of H,16. He's dead (almost twice over)
Prone and Disarmed villagers are surrendering and will not fight back.

Map Updated (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQGw8atRk3_dDVyVUVMbWZkckd6aUNHWnRTZ1dxV VE&usp=drive_web#gid=2)
How did you change the Path, Ground, Tomb/grave to better display like that?

JWallyR
2014-04-22, 07:42 PM
Round 2

After shrugging off the clumsy disarm attempt by Fruril (and glaring harshly at him), Gund roars, WHO ELSE would like to speak their mind about the professor and his "mutts"? as he spins his flail, ready to let it fly at any who threaten violence.

Perception Check:[roll0]

Intent: to move towards the closest non-surrendering opponent and lather, rinse, repeat.
New Intent: Standing ground, readied attack against any hostiles who approach

Attack: [roll1] (1 BAB, 4 STR, no power attack)
Crit conf: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] <--- when copying numbers over, I accidentally used the +9 to damage that assumes power attack, should be +6 for 16 total damage.

I suppose I should clarify that my attack rolls PRESUME that villagers in question don't basically piss their pants and run when they see him turning to them. Gund doesn't mess around, but with his objective being 1) survive 2) defend the honor of the professor (one of his only friends in the world), if there are no more active hostiles and nobody shooting off their mouth, he's got nothing left to prove.

Farmerbink
2014-04-22, 08:17 PM
Seeing the threat passed, Elian runs towards the group of villagers, yelling.

Friends, stop! DO you not see what is happening here!? The ringleader flees, and we already have more blood spilled on this ground than need be! Please, see reason and end this meaningless bloodshed!

He runs up behind Gundwolf and places a hand on his shoulder as he fells the hapless villager.

Please, this is unnecessary.

Move action to move closer, um... that's it?

Albinobrow
2014-04-22, 08:41 PM
BROTHER ENOUGH! Fruril cries out in orcish to the other half-orc fighting at his side! Though he still sees him wind up for another blow! Moving just a little faster, Fruril tries to disarm him and put a stop to this needless bloodshed.

5ft step next to Gundwolf (to try and avoid AO's) and disarm attempt on Gundwolf.
Attack [roll0]

MuffinMan
2014-04-22, 09:17 PM
Aurora flinches at the sudden burst of violence on both sides. "Stop, you're killing him! " she cries out as she rushes to Kristoph's side. Gripping her skirts with one hand, she makes a series of elaborate gestures with the other before laying it on Kristoph's back, causing him to gasp in surprise as his wounds become less severe.

I was intending to start the round in H20, but no biggy. Move to F17 and then use Healing Hex on Kristoph (as CLW) to heal for
[roll0]

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-23, 07:34 AM
Round 2

Male Lawful Good Half-Elf Paladin, Level 1, Init +2, HP 13/13 (12 Nonlethal damage taken), Speed 20 ft. (30 ft. Base)
AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 16, CMD 17, Fort +4, Ref +0, Will +2, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
+1 Damage vs. Undead Longsword (N/A) +3 (2d6+3, 19-20/x2)
Scale Mail, Heavy Steel Shield (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, -1 Size, +2 Fighting Defensively)
Abilities Str 16, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 7, Cha 18
Condition Fighting Defensively
After receiving the witch's healing and seeing Gibbs turn tail Kristoph stands and yells over the commotion, "STOP! Hold your weapons and stop this now! Your so-called leader has proven a coward, you do not have to follow his foolish advice anymore!"

Turning to Aurora he says to her, "See if you can help that man over there," gesturing at the fallen villager hit in the head by Gundwolf. "He may be beyond saving, but at least try."

If any villagers attack him he avoids their blows as best he is able while returning their attacks in kind.

Fighting Defensively, prepared action to attack anyone who attacks him.
[roll0] attack, [roll1] crit confirmation on a natural 19-20 for x2 damage, [roll2] damage

MuffinMan
2014-04-23, 09:43 AM
Aurora dashes to the fallen man's side and falls to her knees, heedless of the blood and dirt. She repeats the strange gesture she used on Kristoph above the man, then puts her fingers to his neck and her ear to his chest, listening for a pulse.

If we're still mid-combat, this will happen in round 3, I suppose, otherwise ASAP.
Attempt to move and use Healing Hex for [roll0].
Afterwards, make a Heal check at [roll1] to get more info on the man's status: dead, dying, stabilized, etc

Untarr
2014-04-23, 05:59 PM
What are you doing?! a voice calls out from off in the distance. As you look over you see what looks to be an old priest with two acolytes running over the hill towards the party.

http://dfry.warpmail.net/HH/Father%20Grimburrow.jpg

Father Grimburrow!

The old man walks forward, his grisly eyes filled with fury. He walks up to the disarmed man and grabs his ear. The man gives a pained expression as the Father begins growling at him.

You sinfilled sorry piece of humanity. I remember the day you were born Clements! Your mother would be ashamed of you. Disrupting a funeral service?! ATTACKING STRANGERS! This is intolerable.

The remaining men look at the ground with heavy eyes, not daring to meet the Father's gaze. That is when he notices Kristoph and the downed men. Letting go of the man's ear the father closes his eyes and begins to pray. A burst of light accompanies his prayers and a soothing feeling washes over everyone.

Everyone is healed for [roll0] damage. Including the downed man.

After the men stand, Father Grimburrow begins to speak. All of you will march right now and turn yourselves into the sheriff. And you better let that idiot Gibs know to do the same. If I found out he hasn't by days end, he'll WISH he was in prison to protect him from me.

Turning to you.

Forgive their ignorance, they know not what they do. I am so sorry this happened. It seems my flock ha lost its way. Wouldn't be the first odd thing to happen to this town lately. Shall we continue?

Yes, please do. I am sorry for the attack, I had no idea. I can't believe they would do something like that!

Any and all additional healing from Aurora should be counted as well. I ruled combat because no one (on either side) really wished to keep going.

JWallyR
2014-04-23, 06:08 PM
Gund gives his flail an almost ritual flourish and fluidly returns it to its place on his belt.

Are we going to see the professor off or what?

MuffinMan
2014-04-23, 07:01 PM
Aurora gasps at the healing glow accompanying the priest's prayer. Such power...

Seeing the man in front of her groan and begin to stir, she quickly stands up and surreptitiously tries to wipe her hands clean on the back of her skirts. Next to an angry mob, a powerful cleric is perhaps the second most dangerous party who could suddenly start asking questions about her... abilities...

Without a word she goes back to her position at the side of the coffin, meekly holding her head down and trying to avoid eye contact with any of the others.

Farmerbink
2014-04-23, 08:19 PM
Sheathing his crossbow, Elian steps forward between the two half-orcs to address the priest. I'm sure there will be no hard feelings on our part. I'd like to take the opportunity to apologize for our actions, though I'm sure you already know that it was certainly not our desire to bring any additional pain to your town. I'm just relieved that it appears no permanent damage was done. Your arrival was fortuitous, indeed.

With your blessing, I'm sure we would all like to continue to grieve in peace.

With a small, polite bow, Elian finds his way back to the casket to continue the procession.

Albinobrow
2014-04-23, 08:44 PM
As he watches everyone go back to their, Fruril puts his flail away, and silently makes his way back to his position around the casket. Once there, under his breath in orc he says,

"I am sorry for that brother. I hope there are no hard feelings between us."

JWallyR
2014-04-23, 09:57 PM
Gundwolf's upper lip rises in a silent snarl as he growls out a few words in orcish.

You're not my brother. Next time your steel swings my way I'll be answering in kind.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-24, 02:15 AM
What are you doing?! a voice calls out from off in the distance. As you look over you see what looks to be an old priest with two acolytes running over the hill towards the party.

At the first sign of Father Grimburrow Kristoph drops to one knee and bows low. He remains in place until the priest directs or motions him to do otherwise, at which point he says, "Father Grimburrow, my name is Kristoph Harrisson, Paladin of our Lady Pharasma. I want to apologize for my actions and the actions of my companions, though you can see we had little choice. We are all very glad you came when you did, sir."

Forgive their ignorance, they know not what they do. I am so sorry this happened. It seems my flock ha lost its way. Wouldn't be the first odd thing to happen to this town lately. Shall we continue?

Kristoph moves back to his position at the casket, ready to continue the service.

Untarr
2014-04-25, 07:10 AM
Well, I am glad you were here. Those miscreants almost over ran you, I cannot imagine what they would have been capable of had less capable pallbearers been arranged. Adivion says as he bends down to lift the casket.

The procession continues, though perhaps more silent and grim than before. A wolf's howl breaks the hush of the procession. It is distant, yet juxtaposed against the somber procession it stands out in your mind. The military man quips, his voice gruff, "Wolves, how I despise wolves. The only thing they are good for is their pelt on the wall.

You arrive at the grave site and see 3 long skinny pieces of cloth laying over the freshly dug grave. While you place the coffin to the side of the grave, the rest of the procession gathers around it.

Father Grimburrow steps forward first.

What once lived, must die. The creatures of this mortal realm are built with death inside them, so that one day they may be judged for their crimes, and for their accomplishments. None may escape this fate, and those that seek to do so are an affront against the natural order of the world. Go now, departed soul, seek the Lady of the Graves. May she judge you fairly.

Clutching his holy symbol, Grimburrow steps back to allow Kendra to speak. Tears in her eyes, she blows into a hankie before starting.

Professor Lorrimor was a great man. The letters that I have received with the stories of his courage and selflessness are innumerable, and unbelievable at times. He helped everyone he came across, no matter their background or their situation. He was a good man, and a loving father. She blows her nose into her hankie again. Please, if anyone else has anything to share...

This is your opportunity to roleplay and speak a little about how you knew the professor. Please accompany your speech with a Diplomacy or Perform check (whichever you want).

Sorry this took so long. I forgot that this week was hell. I should be back to daily updates now.

Farmerbink
2014-04-25, 08:09 AM
Elian cautiously steps forward and begins to speak.

Professor Lorrimor was much more than a good man. He was a man who sought the best in all people at all times. He was always striving to make this world a better place to live, for everyone. He was a friend and a light in lives surrounded by darkness...

After a few minutes recalling the professor's good influence on his life, Elian turns to the professor's daughter.[roll0] perform (oratory)

Your should always be proud of who your father was, and what he stood for. Many people would not be here today but for his heart.

With a slight bow to her, he returns to his place at the side of the casket.

JWallyR
2014-04-25, 09:22 AM
Gund's stony face softens somewhat, and he steps forward to say a few words.

The professor was a friend to me, and I've not had many of those. He looks down awkwardly for a moment. Not a lot in this world look to help a stranger without having their hand out after, and that's just what he did to me.

Gund shuffles back to the casket without another word.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-25, 10:04 AM
"It isn't often that you find a person willing to look evil in the eye, study it and learn its strengths and weaknesses, and still turn away and walk in the light. In my brief time with him he proved to be that kind of man. Standing fast against the vile threat of undeath and determined to share his knowledge with others seemed his life's goal, and it is a lofty one. My great regret is not meeting him earlier and learning more from him," Kristoph says, solemnly.

Then bowing to one knee he holds out his silver holy symbol of Pharasma and his ceremonial dagger and intones a brief prayer, saying, "Lady of Graves, we pray that you guide this soul to his destined judgement and well-deserved rest. May his spirit drink of the waters of knowledge and find peaceful repose in the world beyond."
http://shadowspirits.pbworks.com/f/1337088692/Pharasma%20Holy%20Symbol.jpg
Kristoph then rises and steps back to the casket, his face smooth and calm.
[roll0] Diplomacy Check

MuffinMan
2014-04-25, 10:26 AM
With her hands clasped in front of her, Aurora takes a half step forward and, without looking up to make eye contact, says quietly

"The professor was one of the brightest minds in all of Ustalav, as we all know, but he... he also had one of the biggest hearts. He had a way of seeing through the research and circumstances to the people around him, and he cared for them as though they were his own. He never forgot those of us touched by his work or his kindness, and we..." she sniffs, "...we will never forget him."

Dabbing at her eyes, she steps back to the casket and falls silent.

Forgot to roll the first time: [roll0]

Albinobrow
2014-04-25, 12:17 PM
Fruril slowly removes his hood before he speaks.

I found the Professor lost in a jungle about to run into a cave of owlbears, and was able to intercept him before he awoke the danger they posed. In return he brought me into civilization, taught me the language I speak to you know, and showed me the comforts of friends and a roof. There is nothing I can say or do to truly show my thanks for what he did for me. He will be missed. His voice was caught in his throat a little as he said those last words. He took a deep breath, cleared his throat and then sat back down.

Ummm... Diplomacy? [roll0]

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-27, 01:47 PM
Kristoph looks at Adivion politely, curious if the other pallbearer intends to speak too.

Untarr
2014-04-28, 06:58 AM
Several of the guests' eyes begin to water at Kristoph's speech. As he rises, you notice an approving gaze from Father Grimburrow.

Adivion smiles at Kristoph, but makes no move to speak.

After all the speeches have concluded, you move the casket over the grave and use the sheets to slowly lower the casket into the ground. A dull thud marks the ending of its descent.

Kendra moves forward and begins to speak to the assembled guests.

Thank you so much for coming. *sniff* It was nice to have all of you here to see him off. Kendra forces out a smile. The funeral is now concluded. The pallbearers are invited to my house for the reading of the will. It is a small house near the southern edge of town on the other side of the river. You can follow me there if you like. Councilmen Hearthmount will be ready to read the will in an hour.

The assembled guests begin to depart, including Adivion. Before leaving he walks over to Kendra, hugs her, and says something that makes her laugh. Smiling, he kisses her on the forehead on begins to exit the restlands down the path used to carry the coffin.

The restlands are on the north side of town. It will take you 10 minutes to walk back to Kendra's house.

MuffinMan
2014-04-28, 07:48 AM
Holding her cloak close, Aurora glances back at the owl, which has followed them and is now perched on a nearby tombstone. Turning back to she others, she asks, "Um, should we go together? Those townspeople are still out there and we wouldn't want there to be any more... misunderstandings. Ha, ha..." Her voice trails off as her attempt at levity falls flat.

Farmerbink
2014-04-28, 09:45 AM
Elian turns his eyes skyward before responding. blast these clouds.

I will journey there in your company, my lady.

He draws his cloak tighter to ward off the chill and moves to join Aurora.

JWallyR
2014-04-28, 10:15 AM
Gund looks up from the gravesite at Aurora as she begins to speak, his grim expression softening somewhat. As he listens to her words, however, he casts an appraising glance to the other pallbearers, landing lastly on Fruril, and his upper lip twitches back into the beginnings of a snarl. I'm not afraid of a few spineless, overfed townies. says Gund, as he adjusts his harness, preparing to walk back alone.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-28, 01:10 PM
"Do you mind the company of a spined, fed-but-fit traveler instead?" Kristoph asks Gundwolf, looking him in the eye and showing no sign of fear or intimidation. "That was quite the powerful blow you landed back there. It's too bad we were fighting the living and not some skeletal monster."

He then turns to the rest of the gathered mourners and says, "I am going to walk with our half-orc companion here, both for my protection and the townsfolk, though I doubt they will be foolish enough to do anything more tonight. If you all will not allow his gruff demeanor to make you uncomfortable, I think we should share some stories of the Professor as we go. It isn't often that one man can bring together so many people of such different appearances; if he saw something worthwhile in each of us perhaps we can all make the time to look past the surface as well."

Then, approaching the burly man, Kristoph smiles and turns to walk beside Gundwolf. Staying close enough to speak softly but respectfully not touching the half-orc, the paladin shares his story with anyone else interested in listening.

I met Professor Lorrimor while passing near the boarders of Virlych, on my way to visit an order of paladins in Lastwall. He and I were both headed the same way, and after talking briefly we agreed to travel together for the safety numbers can bring.

Well, I am glad we did. The first night we camped we were beset by a company of undead, mostly skeletons. I fought as well as I could, but if the Professor and I hadn't worked together I am sure I wouldn't be here today. We escaped and parted ways the next day.

He explained that he was headed to Ravengro, his home, and that I should come visit sometime in the future. While I was in Lastwall I asked about him and discovered that he was rather well known for his work studying undead to better fight them. This philosophy is one a can respect and I wanted to get to know him better, but fate would not have it. I received word that he had died and cut my training short. And now here I am.
After sharing, Kristoph looks placidly at Gundwolf and anyone else walking with them, waiting to see who might speak next.

JWallyR
2014-04-28, 04:12 PM
Gund looks askance at Kristoph, but says nothing as the paladin falls in beside him. After silently listening to Kristoph's tale, Gund begins to abruptly speak:

Some years ago, the farm my family worked was overrun by undead, and I barely survived. Somehow, word got to the professor that a young half-orc had learned to survive alone in the wilds after the attack, and he searched me out to ask how. I don't know that he learned a lot from me, but he gave me food and shelter for the price of a few hours' talk, and I learned a lot about how to put down the walking dead.

Gund looks grimly at the ground as he tells his story, but turns to lock eyes with Kristoph:

If you and the professor fought the undead together, that makes you better than family to me. I wish I could have been there to crush their foul skulls with you both.

Farmerbink
2014-04-28, 04:35 PM
Elian gently places a hand on Aurora's shoulders and speaks firmly. Hold for a moment, dear. The paladin is right, it would be well for us to be unified in both our grief and our presence for the time.

After Kristoph and Gund catch up he releases her shoulder and gently motions for her to continue, now in step just beside the other pair.

Looking back to the other half-Orc, he speaks up. Come, friend. I'm sure others here share my curiosity in your story as well! Join us!

MuffinMan
2014-04-28, 05:48 PM
Aurora's expression softens and her posture becomes a little less tense as she listens to Elian's suggestion. Here's another human, at least, one who speaks sense, and is well-spoken, too, and he's also quite handsome at that...

Her confidence returning somewhat as they fall into step with the others, she clears her throat before beginning her story:
"I met the professor three years ago while I was a student in Caliphas. Around my sixth year of studies there was a... misunderstanding... - no! Nothing like today!" She laughs nervously. "Anyway, it was just a set of circumstances that necessitated I... relocate, for a time. The professor helped me ...move, and found me a place with some of his acquaintances in Korren. I hadn't seen or heard from him in almost three years, until..." she pauses, blinks rapidly, and takes a deep breath before continuing, "He had always said he might call on me one day to return the favor, but it had been so long I'd nearly forgotten. Until two weeks ago, that is, when a rider found me with a message my presence was requested here..." she shakes her head. "And now you know as much as I do." By the time she has finished speaking, the crease of worry is back on her brow.

Farmerbink
2014-04-28, 05:56 PM
Elian smiles comfortingly as Aurora shares her story. I'm sure we can all relate more than you realize. Misunderstandings of all sorts plague all peoples. Learning from them is the best that one can do in response.

Albinobrow
2014-04-28, 07:35 PM
After the service Fruril took a deep breath before getting up and looking around, curious as to what everyone's plans were before the reading of the will. But after making eye contact with Gundwolf, he decided he would stay back and just meet up with them in an hour at the house. However, at the invitation of Elian he felt more comfortable to join them, but still avoided eye contact with Gundwolf again.

I lived in the forest for most of my adolescent years. The Professor and his team, were led in there by a less than competent guide. I followed them, because I'd been by myself for years, and stopped them realizing the guide was leading the Professor into a cave full of owlbears. Not surprisingly they were all afraid because of how I looked, and I only knew how to speak orc at the time. Only the Professor didn't point a weapon at me, or act threateningly in any way. He actually spoke to me in orc and let me lead his party through the forest. (The first guide ran into the cave in spite of my warnings.) He thanked me with a warm bed and food. Since then, I joined him as a guide in several of his expeditions. Like I said earlier, he taught me a common language between all races. Up until this last year that is. I hadn't heard from him. Know I guess I know why.

He felt his heart sink a little at that revelation. He walked silently listening to everyone around him and thier stories of the Professor.

Farmerbink
2014-04-28, 10:16 PM
Elian focuses intently on Fruril as he describes his experience with the late professor, before grinning widely at an apparent thought. How fascinating! It seems the good professor was as fortuitous as he was wise! To think, he came across both you and Kristoph in just the right times and fashions to both benefit the two of you, and yet receive a boon as well!

Ahhh... He was indeed quite the unique man. This world is doubtlessly a darker place without his light. Still, fret not overmuch. Let this day be a celebration of a life lived well and truly to the fullest with compassion and fervor that could not help but overflow its vessel and soak into those it touched. Let us remember him fondly, and cherish the memories made before the untimely loss.

The roll is to hide his sadness. Think of it as trying to say something until he really believes it. [roll0] bluff

I cannot help but wonder though, what would he have left to us? I knew the man as well as any, but I certainly did not anticipate any presence among the inheritance from such a man.

And with a child still living? It is quite the confusing situation, wouldn't you say?

Untarr
2014-04-29, 06:54 AM
Before you enter the town, there is a split in the road. Instead of walking through the middle of Ravengro, you decide to take the more southern road that leads past the Temple of Pharasma. You also pass several large homes surrounding fields of wheat. The road is empty, even the temple does not seem to have any visitors today.

In front of the temple are 5 poles arraigned in a circle. There are seemingly dozens of messages written on them. A few that stand out to you:

Break-in at Leipstadt University! Authorities say they have no suspects.

Come see the amazing Crooked Kin! Freaks and shows guaranteed to make your eyes wide!

Wanted: Information leading to the arrest of the person or persons responsible for the animal mutilations at the Gibs farm. - The Sheriff

Leromar Riff, will you go with me to the Harvest Dance? - Anonymous

As you continue to walk, you reach a bridge over a river. On the other side there seems to be a house which matches the description of the Professor's home.

As you cross the river, you notice that in the reflection of the water, there is a dwarf standing on the opposite bank of the river holding a huge two-handed mace. As you look closer, a ripple in the water caused by a fish obscures him for a moment, and then he is gone! You feel a slight chill go down your spine.

MuffinMan
2014-04-29, 09:13 AM
[roll0]

Aurora raises a finger to point at the house across the bridge. "That home matches the description Miss Kendra gave us, no? Are we early? Should we go in?" Uncertain, she looks at Elian and Kristoph for their opinions.

Albinobrow
2014-04-29, 09:23 AM
[roll0]

That does look like it. But I'm sure we all have time for a quick drink somewhere nearby. My treat. I feel I could use it.

Farmerbink
2014-04-29, 09:23 AM
[roll0] perception

Elian starts briefly.
Did anyone see that? I didn't get a good look, but would have sworn I saw someone... never mind, must have been in my head.

and yes, Aurora, I believe you're correct. Let us make haste, this place does not sit well with me.

He shudders slightly as they process across the bridge.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-29, 09:43 AM
As they pass the temple Kristoph bows low toward it, saying a muttered prayer to himself and tracing the spiral of her holy symbol on his breast with a closed fist.
"All who live must face her judgement. Lady Pharasma, please judge the Professor kindly. Help us celebrate his life with joy."
---------------------------
[roll0] Perception Check vs. DC 15
"You know what, I did see something... It looked like a dwarf with a maul," Kristoph says to Elian. "This evening has me on edge. While the opportunity to relieve the stress with some fine wine would be welcome, I must say that I think we should continue to the Lorrimor residence. Better to be inside after dark..."

JWallyR
2014-04-29, 03:14 PM
Perception skill check: [roll0]

Gund's eyes widen and then narrow as he scans the opposite bank. I saw it too. I don't like this.

He loosens his flail in its loop as they cross the bridge.

Farmerbink
2014-04-29, 05:25 PM
Elian smiles amicably at his companions' responses.
At least my faculties have not fully departed, yet. Still, I must wholeheartedly agree, Kristoph. There are many things which go bump in the night that I'd rather not meet.

Untarr
2014-04-29, 05:52 PM
As you approach the door, Kendra is out front to meet you. As you walk get onto the porch, it begins to rain lightly.

Looks like you made it here just in time. Please come in, I've made some tea and there is also wine available if you so choose. Counselor Hearthstone will be here in about an hour to read the will. Make yourself at home! she smiles, even though there is still a deep sadness in her eyes. You can tell that she wants to be a good host, even though she is still in shock from the Professor's death.

Inside, every room is surrounded by bookshelves. The books seemingly cover every topic one would want to know about. There are chairs placed around a table in the front room with enough room for six around it. Tea cups and wineglass have been placed in front of each chair and there are bottles of both uncorked in the middle of the table.

Please, have a seat. Would anyone like some crackers or cheese with their drinks?

Assume she pours your tea and wine when requested. If you ask for crackers, she disappears into a side room and returns with a trey for everyone to grab off of.

Farmerbink
2014-04-29, 06:11 PM
Elian nods politely and smiles in return as he steps through the open door. I, for one, would love some wine. Thank you. He places a small scarf over the back of one of the chairs, and proceeds to slowly stroll around the front room, perusing the bookshelves. He comes to a halt, swirling his glass of wine beside a bookshelf as the other companions come in.

MuffinMan
2014-04-29, 06:49 PM
"Um, just tea for me, thank you." Aurora takes a sip and sits down for a moment, but almost immediately gets up again and begins pacing across the floor. Her steps carry her over to Elian and the bookshelf he is examining. "I don't, um, think we were ever really introduced. I'm Aurora, Aurora Edmundson. Who - er, how do you do?" Remembering her etiquette a hair too late she make a belated curtsy, face reddening as she rises.

JWallyR
2014-04-29, 08:05 PM
Gund eyes the bottles on the table with no small amount of suspicion. I could eat a little, and does- he pauses for a breath ...did the professor keep any mead about?
He looks around at the shelves and shelves of books with a mixture of confusion and boredom.

Farmerbink
2014-04-29, 08:26 PM
"Who - er, how do you do?"

Elian smiles broadly before gently placing his glass of wine on the nearby bookcase. He bows deeply to the floor, with no small amount of flourish and takes Aurora's hand, kissing the back of it, rising and taking up his glass once more. How I do is quite well, thank you. The best I am able, as it happens. Who I do is quite my own business, wouldn't you say? Grinning widely in amusement, he nods slightly and continues. As yet, you are quite correct, we have not been properly introduced. My given name is Elian Evenstarr, something of a performer, by trade. I am quite pleased to make your acquaintance, Aurora. With any luck at all, I hope to know you and our new companions better before the opportunity is lost.
fix't.

Albinobrow
2014-04-29, 10:45 PM
A cup if tea sounds wonderful thank you! And if it isn't too much trouble, some crackers would be nice as well. Thank you! He smiles as pleasantly as possible, in spite of his obviously snaggley teeth. Then noticing the amount of books around him he asks, Do you actually read all of these? There are so many!

Farmerbink
2014-04-30, 12:24 AM
Do you actually read all of these? There are so many!

Hearing the question as Kendra leaves the room for crackers, Elian addresses the curious half-orc. In this room alone? The professor might well have written them all. I know Kendra will confirm my assurance that the good professor read a great many more books than most of us will likely see in a lifetime! He was a brilliant scholar. I'm quite jealous of his collection, actually. He turns to the shelf and taps his finger across several visible tomes as he continues to expound. I read a bit myself, from time to time, though not in quite as many different languages.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-30, 06:29 AM
Kristoph looks up at the rain as they are greeted by Kendra and says, "It will be a starless night tonight. We lose the light of one brilliant man and the whole world mourns with us... I would appreciate a glass of wine, Miss Lorrimor, and if it isn't too much trouble some of the crackers and cheese sounds nice. It may be just what I need to settle my stomach."

After having a bit to drink and eat the paladin asks their hostess, "Is there somewhere I could remove my armor and not be in the way? I would not want to sully your furniture with it."

Then after sitting he listens to the conversation around him and watches the fire quietly as they all wait for the reading of the will.

Untarr
2014-04-30, 06:57 AM
Oh! I can help you with that. Kendra smiles demurely as she begins to unbuckle various parts of Kristoph's armor.

Yes, the professor read all of these. I am not as learned as he, but I have done my fair share of research. Feel free to look through any books you want. There is nothing on these shelves which could endanger you. He would not have left them out to be so easily reached.

The House is relatively large. The main room is connected to a study, a master bedroom, and a kitchen with a pantry. There is a set of stairs in the study that lead to a second floor. On this floor a long hallway connects several rooms, all filled with books and various other objects of academic interest.

The counselor will be delayed by this rain, please, make yourselves comfortable.

MuffinMan
2014-04-30, 09:14 AM
As Kendra is speaking, a thought suddenly occurs to Aurora: here she has almost unrestricted access to the professor's personal study - maybe something in here could shed some light on her abilities! Her tea forgotten and growing cold on the table, an air of purpose comes over her as she begins to scan the titles on the various bookshelves rapidly, looking for the section on arcane magicks.

She's looking for books that deal with witchcraft specifically, of course. Will take 10 or take 20 on Perception (+2 mod) to try and locate any such tomes.
In case it's relevant to the search, Knowledge: Arcana [roll0]

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-30, 04:38 PM
While they wait on the counselor Kristoph does his best to encourage Kendra to talk, figuring that it might help her to either talk about her father as catharsis or to distract her, depending upon her choice of topics. He engages with anyone else who joins them, but does not speak much himself, preferring to listen to the stories of the others.

Albinobrow
2014-04-30, 09:24 PM
A little nervous by the silence and the curious little girl frantically searching the books for something, Fruril decides to share another story about the Professor with everyone:

I remember the first time the Professor brought me along with him for my first desert expedition. Obviously I wasn't guiding this time, since I had no idea where we were going. I was just a hired hand to help out however I could. Anyways, this expedition was going to be a few days and nights before we reached the village we were heading to. Now I didn't know any better and ended up drinking all of my water on the first day! It never occurred to me that we were in a DESERT! There's no place to refill a waterskin anywhere! Ha Ha! Well, the next day I was so ashamed that I didn't bother asking anybody to share their water with me. I was sure I'd be fine. But the desert is SO HOT! Especially compared to the forest I grew up in. By the third day I was so dehydrated that I started to see things that weren't there! In the middle of that afternoon, I still swear that I saw the must luscious of oases! Beautiful green foliage! Tall palms to give us shade! And a deep clear pool of water in the middle of it all! I was so overwhelmed with joy that I actually ran toward it cheering and screaming, thanking the Gods for this obvious paradise! It wasn't until I dove into the water and got a mouthful of sand that I realized it was just a mirage! Ha ha ha! I don't think I have ever, or will ever be more embarrassed in my entire life! But the Professor, he smiled and held in his chuckles. Then he gave me his waterskin. The whole thing. Said I could drink as much as I wanted! I probably drank about half of what was there before remembering that I should be more careful with the water. The Professor then had me go ahead up the next hill and see if I could get my bearing about where we were at. Well I thought he was nuts! How am I, who has never been in a desert before, going to find my bearing? The joke was on me again, because just over that very hill was the village we were heading to! I was one hill away to refilling my waterskin anyway! HAHAHA!!

The Professor was quite a man. Brilliant, and kind, and a sense of humor like no other! I am going to miss him.

Untarr
2014-04-30, 09:24 PM
There are no tomes which go into more specifics witchcraft. It seems like most books here are focused on history and theory. You notice the lack of any books that explain how to accomplish more than the basic arcane/divine magical tasks.

After an hour, there is a loud knocking on the door. Kendra walks up to the door and opens it. In steps an older man, well groomed despite the rain.

https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/images/931751/councilman_Hearthmount.jpg

The hurried glances he gives you seem to indicate an unease around most of you. His eyes seem to linger particularly on Gundwulfe.

Clearing his throat, he pulls out a scroll case he was carrying on his back over the table. Indicating to the wax seal he begins to speak.

As you can see, the wax seal is unbroken. One of the stipulations of this reading is that you are all present. Please gather round the table.

Breaking the seal on the wax, he opens the will. An iron key falls out and hits the table to the sound of thunder. Unphased by the key, Hearthstone begins to read from the scroll.

I, Petros Lorrimor, being of sound mind, do hereby commit to this
parchment my last will and testament. Let it be known that, with
the exception of the specific details below, I leave my home and
personal belongings entire to my daughter Kendra. Use them or
sell them as you see fit, my child.

Yet beyond the bequeathing of my personal effects, this
document must serve other needs. I have arranged for the reading
of this document to be delayed until all principals can be in
attendance, for I have more than mere inheritance to apportion. I
have two final favors to ask.

To my old friends, I hate to impose upon you all, but there are
few others who are capable of appreciating the true significance of
what it is I have to ask. As some of you know, I have devoted many
of my studies to all manner of evil, that I might know the enemy and
inform those better positioned to stand against it. For knowledge
of one’s enemy is the surest path to victory over its plans.

And so, over the course of my lifetime, I have seen fit to acquire
a significant collection of valuable but dangerous tomes, any one
of which in the wrong circumstances could have led to an awkward
legal situation. While the majority of these tomes remain safe under
lock and key at the Lepidstadt University, I fear that a few I have
borrowed remain in a trunk in my Ravengro home. While invaluable
for my work in life, in death, I would prefer not to burden my
daughter with the darker side of my profession, or worse still, the
danger of possessing these tomes herself. As such, I am entrusting
my chest of tomes to you, posthumously. I ask that you please deliver
the collection to my colleagues at the University of Lepidstadt, who
will put them to good use for the betterment of the cause.

Yet before you leave for Lepidstadt, there is the matter of
another favor—please delay your journey one month and spend
that period of time here in Ravengro to ensure that my daughter is
safe and sound. She has no one to count on now that I am gone,
and if you would aid her in setting things in order for whatever she
desires over the course of this month, you would have my eternal
gratitude. From my savings, I have also willed to each of you a sum
of one hundred platinum coins. For safekeeping, I have left these
funds with Embreth Daramid, one of my most trusted friends in
Lepidstadt—she has been instructed to issue this payment upon
the safe delivery of the borrowed tomes no sooner than one month
after the date of the reading of this will.

“I, Petros Lorrimor, hereby sign this will in Ravengro on this
first day of Calistril, in the year 1078.

JWallyR
2014-05-01, 10:39 AM
Gundwolf notes the lingering glance, but his only reaction is a stony set to his expression.

As the will is read, Gund listens intently. His face betrays a certain annoyance at the idea of lounging around the grounds for a month, but after his eyes flit to Kendra, they soften somewhat. At the mention of the generous bequest of platinum, his eyes widen, but he says nothing.

Farmerbink
2014-05-01, 10:42 AM
Elian takes a seat as the councilor approaches the desk. He sits politely during the reading, slowly scanning the faces of those in the room. At the mention of the more dangerous times, his eyes widen slightly. At the mention of 100 platinum pieces, his mouth falls agape. As the final statement is read, his eyes scan the room once more, and he slowly rises to his feet.

That is an... unusual request to day the least. I, for myself, am happy to oblige. He turns to face Kendra, bows slightly, and continues: To that end, it would appear that I am in your service, Miss Lorrimore. What would you have of me? Anything I am able to provide, I will do so gladly.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-05-01, 11:13 AM
"Safely under lock and key at the Lepidstadt University..." Kristoph says, just loudly enough to be heard. "Wasn't there a theft at Lepidstadt recently? I remember reading something just tonight about it, outside the temple on the way here. Do you think the theft could be related to these tomes the Professor mentioned in his will? If so, we should look into those tomes right away!"

Rising, he turns to Kendra and says, "Miss Lorrimor, where is this trunk? As long as we are all going to be staying with you, we need to see these tomes and find a way to secure them until we can make the trip a month hence to deliver them safely to those who would not abuse them."

MuffinMan
2014-05-01, 02:21 PM
Aurora doesn't react to the mention of the platinum, but her eyes widen immediately at the mention of 'dangerous tomes', especially given her recent failure to find anything useful among the public books. She nods quickly at Kristoph's suggestions that they examine the tomes, trying not to give away her eagerness. At his mention of the Lepidstadt University, her mind goes back to the military man she saw at the funeral...

Knowledge: History [roll0] to try and recall anything else about Cilas Graydon, the Lepidstadt University, or a connection between the two .

Untarr
2014-05-15, 05:41 PM
Ustalav’s internationally renowned center of learning, Lepidstadt University endorses the so-called “mortal sciences,” espousing the ability of medicine, mathematics, and the sciences to unveil wonders rivaling the miracles of magic. Presided over by dean Acciani Viacarri, the campus includes the Laurelgauge Library, Vighkeir Hall, the Treyes Museum of Antiquities, half of the nearby Fort Cindercairn, and various other lecture halls and dormitories. Aside from its faculty’s advances in the understanding of anatomy and medicine, the school is also known for its numerous dueling fraternities, brotherhoods like Gateguard and Malkenclaw that pride themselves on teaching the artistry and honor of swordsmanship. Before graduation, fraternity members meet, unarmored, upon Fifthstones Hill (the city’s southern rise), and duel their fellows one at a time until cut upon the face. Such “Lepidstadt scars” are held as marks of pride and prowess recognized by duelists throughout the world.

You know that he went to Lepidstadt, but based on his age, he must of graduated a long time ago.

The councilman closes the scroll and states aloud. I will need the will at a later time long enough to make a copy for public record. If you won't be needing anything else, I will be leaving. Seeing no objections, he grabs his coat and exits into the rain.

Thank you all so much. I will need some time to decide if I should sell this place or remain here in Ravengro. In that time, please feel free to make yourselves at home. Please excuse me, I need to retrieve the chest.

Kendra returns shortly. Placing the chest on the desk, she holds up the key on her finger.

Who wants to do the honors?

JWallyR
2014-05-15, 05:53 PM
Gund raises an eyebrow and shifts in his seat in the corner of the room. If these tomes are as dangerous as the Professor thinks, would it not be safer to leave them locked in the chest? We can return the chest to its hiding place and guard it on its way to Lepidstadt in a month's time.

MuffinMan
2014-05-15, 08:41 PM
"Um, the professor didn't say we couldn't look at them." Aurora glances nervously at Gundwolf as she continues, "That is, I mean, a month is a long time to guard them, and maybe knowing what's inside will help us to protect them?" She edges closer to the chest but doesn't yet reach out to take the key.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-05-16, 07:15 AM
Kristoph bows slightly and thanks the councilman as he turns to go, walking him to the door.
----------------

Once the chest is brought down he walks to the desk and gently takes the key from Kendra. "Even magical tomes are rarely dangerous outside of the knowledge they contain," he says, looking to Gund calmly. "Should these tomes contain something of import we should know, even if we choose not to study them in depth. Miss Lorrimor, if I may?"

With this he opens the chest carefully and looks inside.

Albinobrow
2014-05-17, 05:52 PM
Fruril stays back as they open the chest, both curious and cautious.

Farmerbink
2014-05-18, 04:25 PM
Elians eyes visibly widen as Kristoph approaches the chest and prepares to open it. He leans forwards toward the edge of his seat, anxious to see what's inside the chest, but dubious about being too close.

Untarr
2014-06-18, 07:58 AM
After a somewhat dramatic pause:

The key fits the lock perfectly, and within are several old tomes and one relatively new one. The newest tome sits on the top and bears the phrase “Read me now!” scratched into the leather cover.

Three contain notes inside. The notes direct you to deliver the books to Montagnie Crowl, a professor of antiquities at Lepidstadt University.

This jet-black book is a treatise on aberrations and other
entities found on Golarion that possess remote ties to the Dark Tapestry, the name given to the dark places between the stars in the night sky.
This text is a copy of one of several unholy books sacred to the goddess Urgathoa. Lorrimor’s notations liberally sprinkle the margins.
This lexicon is a translation into Common of the unholy book of Zon-Kuthon.

At the bottom you find the final tome. The rich purple cover contains a brass scarab set with a single eye in its center. The book’s covers are rimmed in polished steel and clasped with a small but intricate lock, the keyhole of which appears to be for a key with a strange, triangular shaft. The note in this book says that this delivery must be made discreetly. It is to be delivered to Embreth Daramid, a judge at the Lepidstadt courthouse. The note has his address.

The book is the Manual of the Order of the Palatine Eye. The Esoteric Order of the Palatine Eye is a secret society whose members have deep interests in all things political and arcane.

The top book appears to be the professor's journal. The majority of the entries are quite bland, accounting for the day-to-day activities in a small town. However there are several entries circled in the book with red ink.
http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/53647/Journal.jpg

Farmerbink
2014-06-18, 09:34 AM
As the chest is opened, Elian releases the breath he didn't know he was holding. He presses forward again as the books are removed, one by one, and lets out a low whistle upon sight of the titles.

This has quickly become no meager task. He scans the faces in the room briefly, before continuing. One must wonder why the professor so trusted us, particularly, to deliver these tomes as prescribed... There is much planning to do.

Having said his piece, he calmly retreats from the desk, takes up the remains of his wine glass and drains it, leaning gently against the bookshelves.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-06-18, 10:50 AM
Kristoph pauses for a moment as he tries to control his revulsion at the tomes and what they represent. Gingerly handling them he makes sure they do not touch his skin at any point as he allows the others to see them before returning them to the trunk. "Several of these are vile books, examples of the very worst blasphemies against life and goodness... If I had found these in the hands of a cultist in the services of such grotesque faiths I would not hesitate to destroy them outright," he says, pointedly gesturing at the three unholy books. Turning to Kendra he continues, "My respect for your father and his last wishes is enough to stay my hand. However, these must be kept secure; allowing them to fall into the wrong hands could lead to greater tragedy than even the loss of so great a champion as Professor Lorrimor."

The paladin carefully returns all of the tomes save the journal to the chest, closing it deliberately. "We should look at the professor's notes and see what more he has to say about all of this." Looking to Kendra for affirmation he opens the small book and reads the circled entries aloud.
-----------------------------------------------------

Closing the book he gently places it upon the trunk. "Well, I know how I plan to spend the next several weeks. Miss Lorrimor, I pledge myself to the safety of you and your home for the space of one month. Afterwards I will help to carry these items to Lepidstadt. Meanwhile, with your permission, I would also like to investigate the ruins of this prison. From your father's notes it sounds like the safety of not just you, but all of Ravengro could be at risk. By Pharasma's will, I cannot allow that," Kristoph says as he makes a spiral with his right hand against his breast in salute.

Farmerbink
2014-06-18, 12:10 PM
After the journal is read aloud and Kristophs declaration complete, Elian steps forward to address Kendra. I will second my newfound companion's intentions, though I foresee his abilities being better suited for the protection of your person and property. While I cannot claim the same urgency of heart to investigate these ruins, neither can I ignore the threat of calamity that would drive the late professor to such lengths. With a slight bow, he adds: I pledge myself likewise into your service.

JWallyR
2014-06-18, 04:35 PM
Gund merely grunts his displeasure at the titles of the books, but a cold light seems to enter his eyes at the mention of the activities of the cult.

I was just wondering how I was going to pass the time before we run our book delivery. Smashing cultists sounds right up my alley. He flashes a smile that shows exactly no mirth.

MuffinMan
2014-06-18, 08:29 PM
Arcana: [roll0]
History: [roll1]

Aurora lets out a small gasp of recognition and her hand flies to her mouth as Kristoph withdraws the purple book with the scarab clasp. "That's-!... no, nothing..." her voice trails off and she stares adamantly at the ground in front of her, cheeks reddening, as Kristoph reads the journal entries aloud.

""I don't have time to update my will, so I'll leave this in the chest..."" Aurora quietly mouths the words to herself as Kristoph reads the last entry. She remains lost in thought as the others are making their pledges to Kendra. ""I don't have time to update my will, so I'll leave this in the chest..." ...he knew!!" With a sudden outburst, she suddenly snaps her attention back to the room around her. "The professor! Whatever happened, he saw it coming! That's why we're here! These books, the Harrowstone fire, this 'Whispering Way'... ugh!"

Aurora puts her hands to her temples in frustration. "It sounds like the professor was onto something BIG. But what? What did he discover?" She suddenly spins towards Kendra, "Miss Lorrimor, did the professor ever say anything to you about this Whispering Way, or where he was going that night? Anything at all??"

Albinobrow
2014-06-19, 10:31 AM
I will also help however I can. But is it in our best interest to go investigate this cult first, rather than delivering these tomes?

DarkOne-Rob
2014-06-19, 05:18 PM
Kristoph nods at Elian in gratitude. He then smiles grimly in agreement at Gund's declaration.

Aurora puts her hands to her temples in frustration. "It sounds like the professor was onto something BIG. But what? What did he discover?"

Looking at the distressed young woman, Kristoph reaches out a hand reassuringly. "We will investigate the ruins and hopefully discover for ourselves what Lorrimor found there. Perhaps many will succeed where he could not..."

I will also help however I can. But is it in our best interest to go investigate this cult first, rather than delivering these tomes?

"As much as I would like to be rid of such foul tomes, I am afraid we must delay if we are to fulfill the Professor's last wishes. Protecting his daughter and allowing her this time to grieve was important enough for him to charge us with the responsibility. We will have to wait," Kristoph says, clearly unhappy with the delay.

Untarr
2014-06-20, 07:04 PM
Kendra smiles meekly at the exchange between the companions in her house.

I do not know anything about these books or the professor's work. He made it a point to keep me out of his darker and more dangerous work. He was very protective.

As she begins to gather the dishes, she continues.

You can use The Professors Library to answer your questions. I'm sorry, I cannot remember much about the prison, except that no one goes there except for kids looking for a thrill.

It is late, you should get some rest and start your investigation on the morrow. There is enough room here for all of you. You can stay here free of charge for the month.

There are several research topics available to you. Some of which you will not discover until you have done significant amount of research into others. You may need several rolls to finally discover everything.

The professor's library will help you on discovering information on the Whispering Way (+2 on knowledge checks). This will be a Arcana or Religion.

Harrowstone is an History or Local.

There are other locations around town that could help you in your investigation.

She shows each of you to separate rooms. Each has a bed and night stand. Aurora's has a mirror and washbowl.

A lady requires more homely accommodations. I hope you find this adequate.

Turning away, she makes her way to her room. Before closing the door, she raises her voice slightly.

Thank you all.

Night has fallen. You are free to do as you wish. A bottle of wine has been left out, presumably for your enjoyment. Everburning Torches light each room. Touching their base turns them off.

MuffinMan
2014-06-20, 08:20 PM
Aurora curtsies meekly as Kendra shows her the room. "Thank you so much, it looks wonderful." After throwing her pack in a corner and hastily splashing some water on her face, she strides quickly and purposefully out of her room and back towards the center of the building. After retrieving the professor's journal from the trunk, she makes her way to the library and starts pulling volumes down onto a table in a growing pile, a serious expression on her face, determined to get to the bottom of these mysteries.

(If her room has a window, Aurora also unlatches it and leaves it ajar for her owl familiar, Socrates.)

Attempt to research both Harrowstone and the Whispering Way:
Knowledge: Arcana [roll0] (including the +2 for the library)
Knowledge: History [roll1]

And in case I learn more that requires a second check, or have time to make a second attempt:
Knowledge: Arcana [roll2]
Knowledge: History [roll3]

EDIT: Oops, if the library doesn't grant a bonus on Harrowstone research, those history checks are each 2 less. Reading comprehension: it's difficult! :smallredface:

If nothing stops her, Aurora will happily work through the night studying, even if it means not being rested enough to prepare new spells tomorrow.

Farmerbink
2014-06-20, 08:42 PM
It is not long before Elian finds himself in the waiting room by himself. Not knowing where else to start, he looks to the books in the chest. He retrieves "Serving Your Hunger," takes it to the library and begins scanning through the professors notes on each page.

Surprised to see Aurora hunting through the library, he takes the book to a smaller window frame near the edge of the room. Don't mind me, I don't have the smarts to figure this out without a launch pad of sorts. I'll see what I can put together from the pieces the professor has already lined out. Let me know if you think I can help with something.

Untarr
2014-06-20, 08:55 PM
Roll a Perception Check

In the books you find some more information on the Whispering way. Though information about Harrowstone is strangely lacking. As you continue to read, you start recalling information from a book you read while at Garrenhold.

Harrowstone is a ruined prison—
partially destroyed by a fire in 4661, the building has
stood vacant ever since. The locals suspect that it’s
haunted, and don’t enjoy speaking of the place.

Harrowstone was built in 4594. Ravengro
was founded at the same time as a place where guards and
their families could live and that would produce food and
other supplies used by the prison. The fire that killed all
of the prisoners and most of the guards destroyed a large
portion of the prison’s underground eastern wing, but
left most of the stone structure above relatively intact.
The prison’s warden perished in the fire, along with his
wife, although no one knows why she was in the prison
when the fire occurred. A statue commemorating the
warden and the guards who lost their lives was built in
the months after the tragedy—that statue still stands on
the riverbank just outside of town.

Most of the hardened criminals sent
to Harrowstone spent only a few months imprisoned, for
it was here that most of Ustalav’s executions during that
era were carried out. The fire that caused the tragedy was,
in fact, a blessing in disguise, for the prisoners had rioted
and gained control of the prison’s dungeons immediately
prior to the conf lagration. It was only through the selfsacrifice
of Warden Hawkran and 23 of his guards that
the prisoners were prevented from escaping—the guards
gave their lives to save the town of Ravengro.

At the time Harrowstone burned, five
particularly notorious criminals had recently arrived at
the prison. While the commonly held belief is that the
tragic fire began accidentally after the riot began, in fact
the prisoners had already seized control of the dungeon
and had been in command of the lower level for several
hours before the fire. Warden Hawkran triggered a
deadfall to seal the rioting prisoners in the lower level,
but in so doing trapped himself and nearly two dozen
guards. The prisoners were in the process of escaping
when the panicked guards accidentally started the fire in
a desperate attempt to end the riot.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally, Harrowstone housed only
local criminals, but as the prison’s fame spread, other
counties and distant lands began paying to have more
dangerous criminals housed within this prison’s walls.
At the time of the great Harrowstone Fire, the number of
particularly violent or dangerous criminals imprisoned
within the dungeons below was at an all-time high.

The five most notorious prisoners
in Harrowstone at the time of the great fire were Father
Charlatan, the Lopper, the Mosswater Marauder, the
Piper of Illlmarsh, and the Splatter Man.

You'll need to roll more checks to find out information about each of the five prisoners

The Whispering Way is a sinister
organization of necromancers that has been active in the
Inner Sea region for thousands of years.
Agents of the Whispering Way often
seek alliances with undead creatures, or are themselves
undead. The Whispering Way’s most notorious member
was Tar-Baphon, the Whispering Tyrant, although the
society itself has existed much longer than even that
mighty necromancer.

Inside you find a barely legible text. You glean the following information based off several notes the professor has made.

ON the inside cover:
Your gluttony Your disease Your undeath

All for the Pallid Princess

These are the notes you notice in the margins, they are translations of the strange text.

“Seize what you can, tear it apart, and savor its sweet bloody taste.”
“Despite the consequences to others, throw off the natural order and claim your own desires.” “Do not imagine the taste of the brain of an infant-experience it.”
“Be a faithful servant, my priestess, and you shall have the honor of being called my Daughter.”
“If I am pleased, common food shall be divine. If I am angered, it shall be of ash.”
“And my herald shall be Mother’s Maw, and the skull shall carry with it flies and maggots for my pleasure.”
“And my people shall know my servants – Barasthangas, Fjarn, Olix”
“Crush my enemies and feed on them… those of Sarenrae and Pharasma!"
“Protect those yearning for undeath, for their rapid propagation pleases me.”
“In the absence of the stars and moon shall my servant find strength”

…to spread the feast and invite one to consume…

“Now is the time to reap the next harvest”

“Existence is dull without the blessing of sensation.”

[Some common Aphorisms… Feed Your Pain, By the Blood and the Mouth] [Some recipes for cooking humans and other humanoids] -—————————————

Please deliver to Montagnie Crowl, professor of antiquities at Lepidstadt University. My notes begin here – PL

Serving Your Hunger[/I] Book]
Urgathoa(pronounced oor-gah-THO-ah)[1] is the goddess of physical excess, disease, and the undead. She is mostly worshiped by dark necromancers and the undead. Sometimes those wishing to become undead and those who live gluttonous lifestyles make supplication to her. On occasion, folk infected with plagues make offerings to Urgathoa. Among her enemies are Sarenrae and Pharasma, as well as their respective followers. Urgathoa is generally depicted as an attractive, pale-skinned, and ebony-haired woman. Unlike most other beauties, at her waist, her flesh begins to rot and wither away, leaving her as little more than a blood-soaked skeleton from the hips down. Urgathoa's minions include powerful vampires, liches, and other authoritative undead.

MuffinMan
2014-06-20, 09:00 PM
Aurora continues to silently study the tomes in the professor's library.

[roll0]
EDIT: Oops, that's ^^^ actually a 10; the +2 from familiar only counts when it's within arms reach!

Untarr
2014-06-20, 09:02 PM
Aurora notices something move in the mirror next to one of the shelves.

MuffinMan
2014-06-20, 09:09 PM
Closing her book with a dramatic THUMP, Aurora looks crossly over the room at Elian. "Do you mind? Some of us are trying to study - please no dashing about!"

JWallyR
2014-06-20, 11:05 PM
Gundwolf looks around at the comfortable room with scorn tempered by confusion. Retrieving his bedroll from his pack, he unrolls it in a position from which he has a clear view of the door, before laying himself down upon it to sleep.

Here goes? [roll0]

DarkOne-Rob
2014-06-21, 05:04 AM
[roll0]
Before retiring Kristoph watches with a certain degree of discomfort as two of his companions begin perusing the tomes found in the Professor's collection. "Foul enemies of life, trying to avoid their fates..." he mutters when he sees Elian's choice of reading. Louder, so as to be heard by them both he says, "May Pharasma guard you both. I will respect the Professor's trust in you and leave you to your research, but please, for the sakes of your souls, stand staunchly against what you discover in these books..." With that he turns to his room and makes his way to bed.
------------------------

Kristoph wakes early, well before the sun is up, and makes his way outside to pray underneath the stars (even if the previous night's rain is still falling). Afterwards he drills with his weaponry, cleans it, cleans himself, and gets dressed in his armor. As dawn is rising he greets anyone else waking (or still awake) with a smile as he sits in the library to read his copy of the Pharasman holy text, "The Bones Land in a Spiral."

Farmerbink
2014-06-21, 05:07 AM
Closing her book with a dramatic THUMP, Aurora looks crossly over the room at Elian. "Do you mind? Some of us are trying to study - please no dashing about!"

Elian is quite taken aback by this outburst, closes the book he's been reading, looks around the room in confusion and responds. Um, all due respect, I'm just standing here. Is the night playing tricks with your eyes? Let's make sure there's nothing else in here...

He takes a few moments to slowly and thoroughly inspect the nooks and crannies in the room.

(take 20? on perception) (or I can roll several in a row or however you want to play it out- I'm trying to make sure nothing is hiding in here, while desperately hoping nothing is hiding in here.)

Taking 20 gets me a 21.

Albinobrow
2014-06-21, 06:49 AM
Fruril now comfortable in his room, stares up at the ceiling. After all the information and events of the day, he is unable to sleep immediately, so he just lies there thinking about his new companions and the final task that the Professor has set before them. It will certainly be an interesting one to say the least.

Untarr
2014-06-21, 06:55 AM
Your search of the room turns up nothing until you get to the mirror. As you pass it, you notice in the reflection a two handed mace sitting upright in the center of the library. Turning back your back to the mirror, you do not see it. Once again, you check the mirror and the mace is there in the reflection. The air suddenly grows colder as you see in the mirror a stout figure with a mangy beard enter the room and reach for the mace. His yellow teeth jut out with a wicked smile as he walks towards you.

Elias pauses his search in front of the mirror.
You notice that he is breathing heavily.

MuffinMan
2014-06-21, 07:01 AM
Elian is quite taken aback by this outburst, closes the book he's been reading, looks around the room in confusion and responds. Um, all due respect, I'm just standing here. Is the night playing tricks with your eyes? Let's make sure there's nothing else in here...

The hair on the back of Aurora's neck begins to rise, but she says nothing and remains at the desk as Elian makes his way carefully around the library.

[roll0]

MuffinMan
2014-06-21, 07:04 AM
Seeing Elian stopped in front of the mirror, Aurora senses that something isn't right. Standing up slowly and deliberately, she makes her way over to his side and waves a hand in his peripheral vision.

"Um, Mr.... um, Evenstarr? Are you alright?"

Farmerbink
2014-06-21, 08:31 AM
Elian frantically turns back and forth between the mirror and the rest if the room, largely ignoring Aurora. He raises his arms to defend himselfagaisnt where he perceives the creature to be, according to the mirror. Hoping to function as total defense, if I get attacked by whatever this is.. Eyes growing wider by the second, he begins mumbling incoherently before screaming: WHAT IN THE NINE HELLS IS GOING ON IN HERE!?! GET AWAY FROM ME!

if the thing looks like it means to attack, I will try to dodge the first swing before moving elsewhere in the room, to an area that I can still see te mirror from. As much as possible, I keep my eyes on the mirror to avoid where I perceive the attacks coming from.

Untarr
2014-06-21, 12:12 PM
As you take cover you see the dwarf wind up his mace. Without a sound you see him connect with your reflection. It's face caves in as an eyeball flies at the mirror. Your reflections body collapses to the floor as blood splatters everywhere. The body twitches slightly until the dwarf swings again and crushes the head. Blood sprays onto the reflection as the body stops moving.

Through the gore you see the dwarf lean over and put his hand into what is left off your reflection's skull. Bits of brain slide of his fingers as he lifts up a piece of bone. Inspecting it for a moment, he places it in his belt pouch before standing slowly and walking out of sight.

Farmerbink
2014-06-21, 12:29 PM
Stunned, Elian continues gazing into the mirror, dumbstruck.

After several moments, he reaches out as if to wipe the mirror. Perhaps thinking better of it at the last moment, he does not touch it. He firmly closes his eyes, turns away from the mirror, and walks back to where he left the book lying open. He turns back to face the mirror, eyes closed again. detect magic at yonder mirror, as long as need be to determine what I can.

Forgive me, Aurora. I... Cannot explain what I just saw in the mirror, but I believe I may be able to learn something here. This house, it seems, is not without its own secrets.

Untarr
2014-06-21, 12:34 PM
The mirror is not magical. As you look back, everything has returned to normal, except that...
...Elias' reflection has disappeared.

Farmerbink
2014-06-21, 12:45 PM
Elian chuckles quietly to himself.

Well, THAT'S new. Hahaha...

He appears lost in some internal joke.

I'd like to verify that nothing else in the room is overtly magical, as well. At least, insofar as I am able.

MuffinMan
2014-06-21, 01:07 PM
Aurora begins slowly backing up towards the doorway as Elian's rantings play out, her heart in her throat. When he finally turns away from the mirror, her knees buckle and waves of relief shoot through her. A little unsteady, she leans on the doorframe for support.

"Mr. Evenstarr, sir? Are you ok? What were you yelling about? Do you want me to fetch the knight, or Miss Lorrimor?"

Untarr
2014-06-21, 01:26 PM
There is nothing magical in the room that you can sense.

Farmerbink
2014-06-21, 01:28 PM
As his chuckles subside, Elian turns back to the girl. Frankly, miss, I haven't got the slightest clue. I would certainly like to hear about the history of this mirror, room, building, town, and everything else. I have no explanation for what I saw, not what I now DON'T see, and as such, I haven't the foggiest clue how to proceed. I just witnessed my own brutal death in reflection. It was, unpleasant to watch. Now my reflection is absent. How would you react to watching some ugly dwarf bad your brains in with a mace? If you've got a suggestion, I'm open to it. Until then, I think I will sit in this chair and be thrilled to be alive.

MuffinMan
2014-06-21, 02:11 PM
"Oh, um - ok..." Not quite sure what to make of this news, Aurora looks down at her feet. Nerves thoroughly shot after such an exhausting day, she decides to retire for the night. "I, um, I think I'm going to go to bed. I hope your, um, reflection feels better in the morning." Without waiting for a response, she turns and quickly walks back to her room.

Once inside, she shuts the door and drags the small nightstand in front of it before going back to the bed. She hugs her knees in close and reaches out one hand to stroke the large mottled barn owl perched beside her, trying to process all the events of this very unusual day...

Farmerbink
2014-06-21, 03:34 PM
Not particularly surprised or happy about it, Elian finds himself alone in the library, staring into his- oh wait. He closes the door gently before returning to his chair and facing the mirror again.

This is just so cliché as to be absurdly humorous. He looks down at the book between his hands. I wonder if you might have had a hand in this... and do people really take this stuff seriously? Ugh. Silly me, thinking this might in some way pertain... never mind, it's just gruesome nonsense from the very beginning... He adjusts his posture to continue reading through the margins...

Some time later, he resigns himself to learning little tonight and retires to the room prepared for him.

Untarr
2014-06-21, 06:16 PM
Dawn brings with it another cloudy day. Thunder rolls in the skies as the town comes back to life. As you wake you find Kendra in the main room with fruit and salted pork for breakfast.

MuffinMan
2014-06-21, 07:21 PM
A somewhat-disheveled Aurora makes her way down to the table, yawning and rubbing not-enough-sleep from her eyes. She picks a seat as far from from Elian as she can, and keeps casting strange glances at him throughout the meal.

When everyone has arrived, she addresses the group. "I, um, I went to the library last night, and I learned something about the prison and the Whispering Way. Well, err, I guess I knew about the prison already from my lectures at school, and then it just sort of came back to me, so I guess I didn't really learn it last night, exactly..." she trails off and her cheeks flush as she realizes she's starting to ramble, nervous at speaking in front of so many adults.

Clearing her throat, she sits up straighter and recites clearly, as if reading from a manuscript:
Harrowstone is a ruined prison—
partially destroyed by a fire in 4661, the building has
stood vacant ever since. The locals suspect that it’s
haunted, and don’t enjoy speaking of the place.

Harrowstone was built in 4594. Ravengro
was founded at the same time as a place where guards and
their families could live and that would produce food and
other supplies used by the prison. The fire that killed all
of the prisoners and most of the guards destroyed a large
portion of the prison’s underground eastern wing, but
left most of the stone structure above relatively intact.
The prison’s warden perished in the fire, along with his
wife, although no one knows why she was in the prison
when the fire occurred. A statue commemorating the
warden and the guards who lost their lives was built in
the months after the tragedy—that statue still stands on
the riverbank just outside of town.

Most of the hardened criminals sent
to Harrowstone spent only a few months imprisoned, for
it was here that most of Ustalav’s executions during that
era were carried out. The fire that caused the tragedy was,
in fact, a blessing in disguise, for the prisoners had rioted
and gained control of the prison’s dungeons immediately
prior to the conf lagration. It was only through the selfsacrifice
of Warden Hawkran and 23 of his guards that
the prisoners were prevented from escaping—the guards
gave their lives to save the town of Ravengro.

At the time Harrowstone burned, five
particularly notorious criminals had recently arrived at
the prison. While the commonly held belief is that the
tragic fire began accidentally after the riot began, in fact
the prisoners had already seized control of the dungeon
and had been in command of the lower level for several
hours before the fire. Warden Hawkran triggered a
deadfall to seal the rioting prisoners in the lower level,
but in so doing trapped himself and nearly two dozen
guards. The prisoners were in the process of escaping
when the panicked guards accidentally started the fire in
a desperate attempt to end the riot.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally, Harrowstone housed only
local criminals, but as the prison’s fame spread, other
counties and distant lands began paying to have more
dangerous criminals housed within this prison’s walls.
At the time of the great Harrowstone Fire, the number of
particularly violent or dangerous criminals imprisoned
within the dungeons below was at an all-time high.

The five most notorious prisoners
in Harrowstone at the time of the great fire were Father
Charlatan, the Lopper, the Mosswater Marauder, the
Piper of Illlmarsh, and the Splatter Man.

She takes a quick sip of water and stifles another yawn as she finishes, and then hurriedly presses on, "Oh, and I learned something about the Way! Not much, I'm afraid - I couldn't find a lot in the library and I didn't get to examine those strange tomes from the trunk last night, but anyway..." With another odd glance at Elian, she continues

The Whispering Way is a sinister
organization of necromancers that has been active in the
Inner Sea region for thousands of years.
Agents of the Whispering Way often
seek alliances with undead creatures, or are themselves
undead. The Whispering Way’s most notorious member
was Tar-Baphon, the Whispering Tyrant, although the
society itself has existed much longer than even that
mighty necromancer.

"I, um, thought I might keep looking today - maybe I can find out more about the Way, or the specific prisoners at the time of the fire..." Her speech concluded, she looks down at her plate and picks at her food, avoiding eye contact with the others.

Albinobrow
2014-06-21, 10:28 PM
Almost reflexively, used to the Professor's hospitality himself, Fruril helps himself to a large share of the breakfast. Probably more than he should have. But as he eats he listens to Aurora's findings. You found all of that in these books last night?! I must say I am impressed Aurora! He smiles at her, with strands of pork stuck in between his teeth, and continues his meal. Then, noticing the looks Aurora kept giving Elian and how, for once, she wasn't anywhere near him, Fruril addresses him, politely but sternly. And how was your night Elian? I see Aurora is a bit cautious of you for some reason. I hope for your sake that you did not try anything with the lady while she was doing her research? As he spoke he slid his chair back from the table, just enough to give him to get up if needed. He stayed seated licking his fingers, with his other hand near the dagger at his waist as he waited for Elian's reply.

Farmerbink
2014-06-22, 12:27 AM
Elian sits calmly, enjoying his breakfast of fruit and pork while Aurora relates the previous evening's discoveries. He doesn't respond when she mentions him or gives him odd looks. At Fruril's inquiry, he looks up from his meal, meets the half-orcs stare and states, calmly I most certainly made no advances last night, if that is what you're after. Furthermore, I assure you that our demure companion is both less naive than she may appear and more capable than you perhaps credit her. After all, the professor held you and she in a similar regard. This task is as much hers as it is ours, and I, for one, am not about to ignore that fact.

As for my evening, it was mostly fruitless and entirely less than pleasant. Some figment of my imagination made a gruesome scene of my reflection in the library last night, and I learned little from my research other than that the followers of this (disdain) pallid princess (/enddisdain) are a horribly gruesome bunch... and that the professor wasn't fond of them- hard to fault him... Oh, and the library has nothing magical in it which isn't at least well hidden. Creepy as hell, late at night, by yourself- or mostly so. But not magical... Which is perhaps the creepiest part. I...

He seems to notice for the first time that he is rambling, and regains his composure.

So really, it was a rather uneventful night, which I'm happy to put behind me. I find myself unusually excited to see the new day and move on with our task... How was your first evening here?

JWallyR
2014-06-22, 09:14 AM
Gundwolf scarcely looks up from his breakfast during Aurora's recitation, but a scowl passes over his face like a thundercloud at the description of the despicable necromancers that make up the Whispering Way.

If you lot are going to sit around reading books, I'm going to get a feel for the grounds. He belches as he pushes out from the table and makes for his room, where most of his gear (including his heavy flail) were left for breakfast.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-06-22, 11:26 AM
...and I learned little from my research other than that the followers of this (disdain) pallid princess (/enddisdain) are a horribly gruesome bunch...

Kristoph's brow furrows a bit at the tension around the table. "I am sorry that both Miss Aurora and Mr. Elian seem to have had rough evenings. It is my experience that little good can come of delving into the lore of such evil as the Whispering Way and the deities that support them. Great strength of character and will are required for such work, else corruption or well-placed terror will follow," he says. "Do not underestimate the threat of such faiths, Mr. Elian. Urgathoa is not a triffling power; undead throughout our world venerate her, and she has great power as a result. May Pharasma be with you should you ever face those of her unholy church; you will likely need it."

Turning to the hostess he thanks Kendra before excusing himself from the table. "Though I have already been up several hours, I must agree with our less-than-gentile half-orc companion. We must not waste the day, and I feel beginning it by getting to know our temporary home is a good start. Miss Kendra, do you mind giving us a brief tour of the grounds?"
[roll0]

Albinobrow
2014-06-22, 11:27 AM
Fruril moves his hand away from the dagger as Elian describes his night, his face getting more concerned with each statement. I apologize for making any accusations. And Aurora, he is right. The Professor has you here among our ranks for a reason. I'm sorry if I overstepped my bounds. With that, he finishes the last bits of fruit on his plate and heads up to his room to gather his things.

Untarr
2014-06-22, 01:38 PM
Smiling at Kristoph, Kendra begins to clean up.
I would like that. Prepare yourself for the day, and meet me on the front porch when you are ready.

Kendra continues cleaning as you get ready for the day. After convening on the porch, those that have chosen to go with her will be lead west initially (back towards the bridge you walked over to get here).

The first thing you ought to see is the memorial at the south end of town. It is in memory of the 25 guards who lost their lives in the fire of Harrowstone.

As you leave the porch your eyes catch on a hill off in the distance a forboding looking building surrounded by thick stone walls. An overgrown path leads to it off of the main road.

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/102685/harrowstone.jpg

That is an evil place. Everyone around here says it is haunted, but no one has ever had the courage to approach it to be sure.

The path passes by a farmhouse and cottage. It looks so debilitated that one would think that it was abandoned. Kendra is quick to dissolve you of that idea, as she explains that it belongs to Gibs, the leader of the group that confronted the party yesterday.

As you pass the cottage, to the southwest of you see a 25-foot-tall, moss-covered stone statue that overlooks the river. The statue depicts a proud, muscular human man dressed in leathers and wielding a truncheon.

That is a statue of the warden. His bravery and sacrifice during that incident saved the lives of the townspeople and kept the prisoners from escaping.

A gasp escapes Kendra's mouth as you approach that statue.

Blood covers the area around the statue. The names themselves have been defaced by even more splatters. Its dry to the touch. The most prominent feature of the grotesque scene seems to be the letter "V" plastered along one of the sides of the base.

Farmerbink
2014-06-22, 02:03 PM
Before Fruril leaves the breakfast table, Elian speaks up briefly. There was no offense taken from your comment, nor any meant from mine. I simply want to ensure that we are all taking this seriously. There are too many unanswered questions to write it off yet.

After he finishes eating, he gathers his meager belongings and follows Kendra and the rest of the group receiving the tour. Other than a few half-hearted attempts to smile politely, he largely keeps to himself on the brief walk.

JWallyR
2014-06-22, 02:10 PM
Gund idly twirls his flail as the group makes the rounds. As they pass the ruins of Harrowstone, Gund's upper lip pulls back in a silent snarl. The sight of Gib's cottage brings a brief smile to Gund's face, replaced by a look of mild disdain as they reach the statue of the warden. The sight of the blood spatters, however, bring on a look of mild concern.

JWallyR
2014-06-22, 02:14 PM
Gund looks around the statue for any sign of tracks that might point toward the party responsible for defacing the monument...

To search for tracks: [roll0]

Untarr
2014-06-22, 02:39 PM
Gund is unable to find any tracks leading to or away from, the area.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-06-22, 02:45 PM
That is an evil place. Everyone around here says it is haunted, but no one has ever had the courage to approach it to be sure.

"Except for your late father, it would seem..." Kristoph says with respect in his voice, mostly to himself.

A gasp escapes Kendra's mouth as you approach that statue.

Blood covers the area around the statue. The names themselves have been defaced by even more splatters. Its dry to the touch. The most prominent feature of the grotesque scene seems to be the letter "V" plastered along one of the sides of the base.

The look on Kristoph's face could curdle milk. "Who would do such a thing?" he exclaims angrily. He then looks around at the clearing and into the woods towards the ruined prison. "This is all connected, it is too much to imagine it is chance. Miss Kendra, we need to go report this to the appropriate authority in town, promptly. Once it has been investigated, perhaps justice will be done."

You can take 20 with a Survival check, as long as we aren't threatened and you aren't interrupted. It will take at least 2-3 minutes.

MuffinMan
2014-06-22, 03:48 PM
Aurora follows the others at a small distance, wrapped up in her own thoughts. She shivers and pulls her cloak a little tighter at the sight of Harrowstone itself, but doesn't say anything.

As they walk, she catches up to Elian and begins speaking to him. "I'm sorry, Mr. Evenstarr - I didn't mean to cause a scene this morning... I was just quite startled last night. You, um, look like you're feeling better today, at least?"

----------

Aurora stops dead in her tracks and her hand flies over her mouth as the gruesome scene at the statue comes into view. "gods preserve us..." After turning away for a moments to compose herself, she gingerly makes her way forward to examine the markings, trying not to get too close to any individual patches of blood....

To see if Aurora recognizes any significance to the markings or the "V":
Arcana: [roll0]
History: [roll1]

Farmerbink
2014-06-22, 04:07 PM
Elian breaks out of his sullen silence long enough to respond to Aurora's question.

I am not certain I am better, but mostly because I am not certain I was ever worse. I was frightened, to be sure, but I was not harmed by last night's ordeal. Or at least, I am unaware of any harm that may have befallen me, thus far.

You would do well to remember that you are our equal in this endeavor. I say that not to chastise you, but encourage you. If you have a doubt about our actions, or idea for moving forward, share it. I, for one, value your input.

He falls silent once more when the blood is discovered on the statue.

Albinobrow
2014-06-23, 11:33 AM
Once Fruril sees the bloody scene, he immediately starts to study the area and statue, hoping to find clues of who might have done this, who's blood it is, and where they might have gone.

Perception [roll0] For any clues that might be relevant to who did it and who's blood it is.
Survival [roll1] To see where they might have gone.

Untarr
2014-06-23, 11:42 AM
While there is blood and mid everywhere, none of you can find any signs of the culprit or culprits. You are also unable to come up with any significance of the letter V.

Eyes still wide and with a hand covering her mouth, Kendra mumbles out
If you want to see the sheriff... I can show you to him.

Farmerbink
2014-06-23, 12:04 PM
Elian steps forward, unusually calm among his companions. Please do, miss. I'm sure he should know of this, and may have an idea where to start to discover the persons responsible. There is no reason to delay here.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-06-23, 12:15 PM
"This is all connected, it is too much to imagine it is chance. Miss Kendra, we need to go report this to the appropriate authority in town, promptly. Once it has been investigated, perhaps justice will be done."

Eyes still wide and with a hand covering her mouth, Kendra mumbles out
If you want to see the sheriff... I can show you to him.

"Agreed. Let us move quickly, before the evidence has aged beyond the point where it cannot be used."

MuffinMan
2014-06-23, 11:18 PM
Nodding, Aurora straightens and readjusts her cloak. "I- I've never seen anything like it, and these markings - I just... I can't make anything out of them." Her brow knits in frustration as she rejoins the others and prepares to leave for the sheriff's.

Farmerbink
2014-06-24, 08:35 AM
"Agreed. Let us move quickly, before the evidence has aged beyond the point where it cannot be used."

Elian speaks up in a sullen tone. Sadly, we may already be past that point. Dried blood is not particulalry helpful. Either way, standing here fixes nothin. Miss Lorrimor, if you would lead the way?

Untarr
2014-06-25, 01:28 PM
Walking you quickly through town. You take the eastern road through town (you walked down the western road yesterday). As the town comes into view, the street changes from dirt to pavestone. You enter what is obviously the center of town. The road expands into a 200ft diameter circle that is surrounded by buildings. In the center is a 75ft diameter patch of grass with a wooden gazebo in the middle.

She leads you to a large building on the north side of the town circle.

As you walk through the door, the smell of alchohol overwhelms you. There is a man sitting at a desk to the right with his feet up and hat over his eyes.

Wake up! We have a crime to report...

Lifting up his hat slightly with a single finger, he eyes the party. Groaning slightly he pulls his feet off the desk and starts to address the group.

Now now now. Lets just calm down here. I know about yesterday and I've already beat the piss outta Gibs and his cronies. 'sides, way I heard it, y'all din't have any trouble with 'em. Nearly killed Bill. Man was so scared he drank himself sick last night. 'swhy it smells like whiskey in here, he threw up after I threw him in there.

No! Something happened at the Harrowstone Memorial....its horrible, there is blood everywhere...

At the mention of blood, the sheriff's eyes light up.

Now, slo' down...tell me what is going on...

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/93081/benjan.jpg

DarkOne-Rob
2014-06-25, 02:26 PM
As you walk through the door, the smell of alchohol overwhelms you. There is a man sitting at a desk to the right with his feet up and hat over his eyes.

...'swhy it smells like whiskey in here, he threw up after I threw him in there.

Kristoph makes no effort to disguise his disapproval as he scans the sheriff's office. When the sheriff explains himself, though, his expression softens. "I, for one, am very glad Bill will live. It was an unfortunate misunderstanding made worse by the actions of the mob. Thank Pharasma that Father Grimburrow arrived when he did..."

Now, slo' down...tell me what is going on...

Kristoph begins speaking immediately, saying, "Miss Kendra was taking us on a brief tour of town, and on our way past the memorial we were stunned to see a massive "V" painted in blood on the statue of the Warden. We took only a moment to look for tracks or some sign of who might have done this before we came to you. We did not find anything of use, but perhaps more eyes and more time will turn up something useful. All of us have agreed to stay at the Lorrimor residence for the next month, primarily to stay with Miss Kendra and help her through this difficult time. Several of our company are experienced trackers and may be of some use to you during the ensuing investigation. If you have parchment and an inkwell I will begin to write up a statement that we can all sign..." The paladin gestures at the two half-orcs when mentioning trackers and moves towards the desk, intending to begin writing as soon as given the opportunity by the sheriff.

MuffinMan
2014-06-26, 12:42 AM
Aurora's nose wrinkles at the strong stench of alchohol, but she says nothing as Kristoph and Kendra explain things to the sherriff. As they finish she wonders aloud, half to herself, "Why would anyone want to do that to the Warden's statue, anyway? What could be the significance..."

Untarr
2014-06-26, 09:11 AM
[roll0]

Ordinarily I like gettin' signed statements, but in this case, it would be easier for me to just walk on out there.

Standing up, he grabs his duster from his chair.

Leromar! Watch the jail while I go see what in the nine hells is goin' on.

A slightly ugly looking man comes through the door at the back of the office. His black hair looks like it hadn't been combed in years, and there is dirt and mud all over him. Before it closes you can see a group of cells behind him.

Thank Pharasma, it was gettin' awful bad sittin' in that cell block smellin' Bill's puke... he pauses as he notices the party

Oh...hi there he says as he averts his eyes.

Don' worry about that. You just man the desk while I'm gone. And you... he points to the party

Stay out of this. I know it ain't your fault that you was attacked, but you bein' here has already caused enough of a ruckus. I ain't tellin you to leave town...yet. I'm tellin' ya to keep your nose clean and out of people's business. Ravengro don't take kindly to strangers.

and with that, he is out the door...

Thus ends the exposition. You are free to proceed however you like. There are multiple ways to solve (and fail at solving) the mystery of Harrowstone and Ravengro.

As a DM, I am going to do my best to not drop any hints or push you along. A large part of the fun of this module is discovery.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-06-26, 03:47 PM
Stay out of this. I know it ain't your fault that you was attacked, but you bein' here has already caused enough of a ruckus. I ain't tellin you to leave town...yet. I'm tellin' ya to keep your nose clean and out of people's business. Ravengro don't take kindly to strangers.

Kristoph stands up a bit straighter at the sheriff's directions, his posture becoming more formal and distant. He steps to the side to allow the man to pass and then slowly follows him outside. From the porch of the building the paladin watches Caeller walk in the direction of the memorial, shaking his head.

"I will never understand the insular, close-mindedness of people," he mutters, frustration showing plainly on his face. Turning to the rest of the assembled company he says, "Well, we have done our duty here. If the good sheriff doesn't think we should help, perhaps we should stay out of his way... I really do wish there was something more we could do to make things better, but...I just don't know...

Miss Kendra, is there much more you planned on showing us this morning?"

Kristoph doesn't try to hide his confusion and pain at being forbidden from helping in this matter. He is a man of action, and without a clear direction he appears to be floundering a bit with what to do next.

Farmerbink
2014-06-26, 06:26 PM
Elian steps forward and gently places a hand on the back of Kristoph's arm.

Any fool can see you were trying your best to help. If he does not want your help, he is the one to lose for it.

He glances around the gathered group, weighing each of them individually before continuing. I am... not usually this ambitious, to be frank. Professor Lorrimar was clearly on to something about this "Way," and he clearly thought that not only was it dangerous, but also that it was vitally important that they be stopped. I am beginning to think that he thought much more than that, particularly about the events that would follow his death.

I think he knew that we would be able to help. I look around this room and see many things; loners, outcasts, those who have learned, perhaps the hard way, how to get by without the aid of an established social order. I see at least one upstanding citizen striving to make the world a little less dark. I see, at the very least, a group of individuals with skills and hearts that the late professor trusted. We have something of an opportunity that most people lack.

I do not profess to be a scholar or academician, but I daresay we have the beginnings of one among us. I say we inspect these so-called haunted ruins, and see if we cannot find a trail the professor may have left us to follow. The worst we could do would be no worse than ignoring it.

With a significant glance to the resident flail-wielding barbarian, he concludes his thoughts aloud. Besides, who among these citizens is going to stop us from continuing the professor's work?

MuffinMan
2014-06-26, 08:26 PM
I do not profess to be a scholar or academician, but I daresay we have the beginnings of one among us. I say we inspect these so-called haunted ruins, and see if we cannot find a trail the professor may have left us to follow.

Aurora blushes and hides a small smile as Elian mentions her in his address. "Well, maybe if we want to see the ruins, we had best go soon? I think I'd rather be back safe at Ms. Kendra's when night falls."

Untarr
2014-06-26, 09:52 PM
Collecting herself, Kendra coughs slightly before continuing.

Uhh, well...the town is not very big. If you would follow me outside I can show you the other important buildings around the town circle.

Down that bit of road towards the river is the Laughing Demon. It is run by Zokar. He was one of the attendants at the funeral.

That building there is Jominda's Apthecary. She carries all the common alchemical substances, and rumor has it a few of the not so common, no so legal ones.

The forge belongs to Jorfa. She's been in Ravengro for so long, no one knows how she got here. Most agree that she's been here since the town was founded.

The Silk Purse belongs to Luramin and Quess. Its probably the most well defended building in town. They make loans to farmers in advance of their crops

That large building is the town hall. Its where we meet for town business and all the city records.

Those two are the Inn and the General store.

At last turning to the companions.

Be careful if you should choose to enter the ruins. I know that it is only rumor and conjecture, but I truly believe there is something wrong with that place.

Albinobrow
2014-06-26, 09:52 PM
I agree. And if there are no other objections, I believe we should make our way there as soon as possible.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-06-27, 10:45 AM
Be careful if you should choose to enter the ruins. I know that it is only rumor and conjecture, but I truly believe there is something wrong with that place.

I agree. And if there are no other objections, I believe we should make our way there as soon as possible.

"If we intend to explore the ruins, we should go prepared. Father Grimburrow may have advice and tools to help us manage the dangers of a haunted prison. We should go speak with him." Kristoph says, some of the light returning to his eyes at the prospect of moving against the unnatural blight of the undead. "At the very least he may be able to help us smooth out any misunderstandings that develop with his flock, should things go poorly..."

With that the paladin turns and begins walking towards the Pharasman cathedral, purpose in his step.

Farmerbink
2014-06-27, 11:01 AM
"If we intend to explore the ruins, we should go prepared. Father Grimburrow may have advice and tools to help us manage the dangers of a haunted prison. We should go speak with him. At the very least he may be able to help us smooth out any misunderstandings that develop with his flock, should things go poorly..."

Well said, friend! And even better thought. Wiser than I may have been, to say the least.

Elian falls into step beside Kristoph, beckoning the rest to follow.

MuffinMan
2014-06-27, 01:00 PM
"Thanks so much for the tour, Ms. Kendra. I suppose we'll see you back at the house this evening." With a small curtsy to their hostess, she turns and hurries to catch up to the others. Her brow furrows as she remembers their previous encounter with Father Grimburrow. She can't quite place it, but there's something about the man that she finds... unsettling.

JWallyR
2014-06-27, 04:33 PM
Gund nods grimly at Kristoph and shoulders his flail to follow to the cathedral.

Untarr
2014-07-02, 08:10 AM
You approach the Temple of Pharasma from the north. There are a few acolytes walking back and forth from the temple to the Restlands. Entering the large woodend doors, you enter a somber chamber with pews on either side. At the front stands a pulpit and a banner with this symbol on it.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081006181426/pathfinder/images/thumb/8/84/Pharasma_holy_symbol.jpg/250px-Pharasma_holy_symbol.jpg

As you walk down the isle a door behind and to the right of the pulpit opens up and Father Grimborrow slowly walks through. Noticing you immediately, he starts talking in a surprisingly commanding tone considering his age.

Ah yes, the friends of the late professor, may Pharasma judge him fairly. How may I help you?

Farmerbink
2014-07-02, 08:24 AM
Elian gestures Kristoph forward, falling in pace beside him. Father Grimborrow! Just who we wanted to see! My friends and I have a few questions we'd like to ask you... perhaps in a slightly more intimate location? Bowing politely, he then defers to l his more diplomatically-inclined companion to do most of the talking.

sorry, I know you didn't really want to lead this portion. I'm afraid anyone else is likely to botch the rolls involved.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-07-02, 09:07 AM
Bowing politely, he then defers to l his more diplomatically-inclined companion to do most of the talking.

"Thank you," says Kristoph to his companion. He then takes a knee and bows his head deeply to Father Grimburrow with his fist against his chest in salute. After the priest recognizes the paladin's gesture of respect he rises and, without finding a less conspicuous place to speak, says, "We intend to travel to the ruins of the old prison. If I understand correctly, Professor Lorrimor spent many of his last days attempting to explore and investigate the place, and we wish to see for ourselves what would inspire a man such as he to do this. Given the nature of Harrowstone, I suggested we come to you for two reasons: first, to ask for your blessing and any aid you feel the church can provide, and second, to request your help in finding a cache the professor mentioned in his writings. Supposedly hidden in the Restlands is a tomb in which he either stored or found several items that could be used to great effect against the vile undead haunting the prison grounds. Can you help us find this supply of tools? Supposedly it is at the intersection of Eversleep and the Black Path..."
[roll0] Diplomacy (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/skills/diplomacy.html#_diplomacy) check to make the described requests.

(If i understand correctly I have used a Diplomacy check within the last 24 hours to improve Father Grimburrow's attitude towards us, so this would fit the second description under the skill's uses.)

Should I need to roll twice (once to improve attitude, once for requests or once for each request separately, here is the second roll: [roll1]

Untarr
2014-07-05, 09:26 PM
Furling his thick eyebrows in towards his nose, Father Grimburrow begins.

Hmph. That prison has caused so much heartache. We have just recently managed to move on from our days as a "Prison-Town". While I believe that the dead should be left undisturbed, I will not stop you from completing the Professor's work. He was a strange man, but I do not believe him a necromancer as most do in this town.

Hand coming up to his mustache as he hears about the cache, he coughs roughly...

Though I have not heard of any such cache, I can certainly imagine previous generations having created such a thing. Motioning to a few acolytes, Father Grimburrow continues talking. One is a moderately attractive, though somewhat stocky dark-skinned woman with brown hair tied into a pony tail. The light bounces off the cleanly shaven head of the man, who stands tall above everyone else in the conversation.

This is Leone and Chad. They will accompany you to this cache, if it exists. I remind you that whatever you find is the property of the church and request that it be returned here first.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-07-06, 02:39 AM
Turning to the two acolytes Kristoph bows his head slightly and makes the Pharasman salute against his breast. "We will investigate the tomb and first return any supplies we find here. Thank you, Father," he says to Father Grimburrow. Then he turns and begins walking out towards the Restlands and the crypt-cache.

Farmerbink
2014-07-06, 09:36 AM
Elian looks distinctly displeased as the group leaves the church. He says nothing, however, and follows along with the group in sullen silence.

Untarr
2014-07-06, 10:22 AM
The group reaches the restlands without incident. Though it looks like it may rain again soon. As the group approaches the intersection of Eversleep and Black path you notice a a freestanding granite
mausoleum, the roof of which is decorated with a pair of leering gargoyle statues. A single stone door with a rustylooking lock sits in the mausoleum’s south facade.

Chad speaks, his voice filled with irritation. I think if there had been any such stash, we would have known about it. How is it that Lorrimor came by this knowledge?

The lock is broken, its clasp melted by acid and then put back into place so that to casual observation the lock appears intact.

Farmerbink
2014-07-06, 10:45 AM
[roll0] perception

Elian spares only a brief glance to the man as he steps forward to investigate the mausoleum. Peering intently at the lock, he relays his observations to the rest of the group. Someone, or something, has beaten us to this. Be on your guard, friends. He draws and loads his crossbow, before carefully surveys the area for signs of danger.

MuffinMan
2014-07-06, 01:30 PM
Chad speaks, his voice filled with irritation. I think if there had been any such stash, we would have known about it. How is it that Lorrimor came by this knowledge?

Aurora looks crossly at the acolyte. "The professor knew many things that we may not understand - knowledge he no doubt earned at great personal cost while seeking to protect this town!"

Stiffly she turns away from the group and walks over to stroke a large barn owl which has alighted on a nearby branch.

MuffinMan
2014-07-06, 01:35 PM
If applicable, Knowledge:History [roll0] to remember anything significant about the mausoleum or its location at these crossroads.
Also, she will cast Detect Magic (as discreetly as possible) as they approach the entrance.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-07-06, 03:41 PM
Someone, or something, has beaten us to this. Be on your guard, friends.

"I wonder if it was the Professor himself who beat us here. Let's have a look inside!" the paladin says, making the sign of Pharasma out of respect for the deceased. He then draws his longsword and moves to open the mausoleum door.

Once it is open he looks inside (low-light vision) to see if there is anything of note.
[roll0]

Untarr
2014-07-06, 05:58 PM
Chad raises at an eyebrow at Aurora. Turning his head, he continues behind Kristoph drawing his mace from its handle at his side.

The light from the door reveals a somewhat dusty room. On each edge there lies empty alcoves long enough for a body to lay on. Upon seeing the empty alcoves, Chad remarks.

Odd, our records indicate that this crypt was the first filled in Ravengro's history. Where are the bodies?

Map available here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQGw8atRk3_dDVyVUVMbWZkckd6aUNHWnRTZ1dxV VE&usp=drive_web#gid=4)

DarkOne-Rob
2014-07-06, 06:06 PM
Odd, our records indicate that this crypt was the first filled in Ravengro's history. Where are the bodies?

"Then something is incorrect. Either the records are in error, have been changed, or someone has removed the bodies meant to be here. In any case, this warrants a closer look," Kristoph says as he walks into the tomb, scanning all around him as he goes.
[roll0]

MuffinMan
2014-07-06, 06:27 PM
Aurora cautiously follows Kristoph and Chad into the dim crypt, the owl Socrates perched on her shoulder.

Familiar bonus! Perception [roll0]

Farmerbink
2014-07-06, 06:37 PM
Elian cautiously follows the trio into the darkness, releasing a sigh as he passes the threshold. Be careful, I really don't like this. Something tells me the professor would not have needed acid to bypass that lock. It was not an act of academic interest or goodwill that brought this chamber's last visitors.

[roll0]
not to be a jerk, but I have no idea what the inside of this place looks like from that map. Where are the alcoves? Does the room extend in any direction, or is it just a small, rectangular room? (Perhaps make walls and unexplored terrain different colors?)

Untarr
2014-07-06, 08:06 PM
As you enter the room more details become clear. What initially looked like one room extends further through two stone doors. The floor is covered with dust. It looks like the tomb has been abandoned for quite some time. On each side of the tomb stands a small, rectangular, monument, approximately 3 feet tall and covered in dust
You notice a single set of footprints in the dust heading back and forth from the left door.
Its a room with alcoves on the sides that can fit bodies. The purpose of these alcoves is for a single body to laid down in it. I'm not sure how better to describe this.

Here: Try this. It looks something like this along each wall. Minus the statue
http://readerdad.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/dscf1487-8x6.jpg

Albinobrow
2014-07-07, 10:33 AM
[roll0] if it matters here, I have darkvision.

Silently following his companions from the church, he draws his falchion after hearing the bodies are missing and that someone has been here recently. Fruril enters the crypt and looks around for any signs of it being disturbed recently.

Albinobrow
2014-07-07, 10:34 AM
Perception roll take 2 [roll0]

Albinobrow
2014-07-07, 10:36 AM
Not sure why it didn't work that time either.. [roll0]

JWallyR
2014-07-07, 07:14 PM
Gundwolf wordlessly follows Kristoph into the mausoleum, keeping his flail warily at the ready. He scowls as he eyes the alcoves for any sign of their previous occupants and the floor for signs of disturbance.

Perception: [roll0]

Untarr
2014-07-08, 07:34 AM
Aside from the footprints, you noticed nothing else unusual about this room.

The light from outside is enough to light this room fully, (no concealment).

Parts of the next area will be completely dark and/or low-light areas. I'll try to distinguish this on the map.

Anyone who goes through the doors on the other side of the room needs to make a perception check, and you need to "place your pieces" on the map.

Farmerbink
2014-07-08, 08:22 AM
Elian steps forwards towards the two doors. There is a recent- well relatively recent- set of footprints leading to and from these doors. Let us make sure nothing nasty has been left waiting for us and see what's behind them, shall we?

He carefully checks the area for traps and listens at the doors before opening them.

taking 20, for a net 21. Also casting detect magic. Cone pointed at door

DarkOne-Rob
2014-07-08, 08:23 AM
Aside from the footprints, you noticed nothing else unusual about this room.

The light from outside is enough to light this room fully, (no concealment).

Parts of the next area will be completely dark and/or low-light areas. I'll try to distinguish this on the map.

Anyone who goes through the doors on the other side of the room needs to make a perception check, and you need to "place your pieces" on the map.
Male Lawful Good Half-Elf Paladin, Level 1, Init +3, HP 13/13, Speed 20 ft. (30 ft. Base)
AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 17, CMD 14, Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +2, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus +1
Longsword +3 attack, 1d8+2 damage, crit on a natural 19-20 for x2 damage (+1 Damage vs. Undead)
Scale Mail, Heavy Steel Shield (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 7, Cha 18
Condition Eager to find something to help explore the prison ruins...
Seeing the footprints pointed out by Elian, Kristoph moves to the left-hand door and prepares to open it. "I lack the magical skill that may be necessary to light the next room, but am willing to be first inside. Can anyone assist me, or shall I draw and light a torch before opening this door?" he asks, looking to the gathered companions for a response.

If someone casts a Light (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/light.html#_light), Dancing Lights (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/dancingLights.html#_dancing-lights), or some other spell to light the way, he opens the door and steps through. If no one can cast a helpful spell he straps his shield to his back (AC reduced to 16 from 18), withdraws a torch from his pack, lights it with his tinderbox, and then opens the door and steps inside.
[roll0] (Once the door is open.)

MuffinMan
2014-07-08, 09:00 AM
Stifling a small gulp, Aurora casts a Light spell on Kristoph's shield, and takes a position a few steps behind him as he enters the next room.

Oic, NOW low-light owly bonuses apply: [roll0]

Aurora Edmundson (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=854451)
F NG Human Witch, Level 1, Init +8, HP 9/9, Speed 30
AC 12, Touch 12, Flat-footed 10, CMD 10, Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +3, CMB -2, Base Attack Bonus 0
Dagger -2 (1d4 - 2, 19-20/x2)
(+2 Dex)
Abilities Str 7, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 19, Wis 12, Cha 9
Condition None
Healing Hex: (per day)
Kristoph 0/1 Elian 0/1 Fruril 0/1 Gundwolf 0/1 Aurora 0/1

Farmerbink
2014-07-08, 09:06 AM
[roll0] for eyeballs.

Boosh.

Albinobrow
2014-07-08, 10:24 AM
Fruril falls in line behind Kristoph peering into the room (once the door is open) with his falchion at the ready.

[roll0]

JWallyR
2014-07-08, 02:46 PM
Silently furrowing his brows in sudden suspicion at Aurora's use of magic, Gundwolf steps up to follow Kristoph into the next room.

Untarr
2014-07-09, 06:37 AM
The door grates against the ground as you open it, creating noise that cuts through the silent tomb like a knife. The light from Aurora's Light Spell reveals a set of stairs that descend into another chamber.

The steps continue down for about 15 feet where you find a sarcophagus sitting in the middle of the chamber against the back wall. The chamber is 50 feet wide and 20 feet long.
The footsteps lead to the sarcophagus.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-07-09, 06:48 AM
The door grates against the ground as you open it, creating noise that cuts through the silent tomb like a knife. The light from Aurora's Light Spell reveals a set of stairs that descend into another chamber.

Kristoph walks down to the next chamber.

The steps continue down for about 15 feet where you find a sarcophagus sitting in the middle of the chamber against the back wall. The chamber is 50 feet wide and 20 feet long.

The paladin looks around the room, using the shield to shine the light into the various nooks and crannies. He then looks closely at the sarcophagus, attempting to see if it has been disturbed.
Perception [roll0] - He would willingly Take 10 if time allows, and would Take 20 on the sarcophagus to make best use of the following check...
Knowledge (Religion) [roll1] - To determine if the sarcophagus has been profaned in any manner.
If the sarcophagus is already opened and/or unconsecrated he opens the lid to look inside.

MuffinMan
2014-07-09, 09:39 AM
Aurora follows Kristoph down the steps to the chamber, and remains near them while Kristoph investigates more closely.

[roll0]

Farmerbink
2014-07-09, 09:52 AM
Elian follows Kristoph closely, searching for threats as he goes. Crossbow the ready.

[roll0] (forgot I have trap finding. Subtract 1 for non-trap finding perception.

Was there any magic aura upstairs? I'll also go ahead and cast detect magic in this room as well.

JWallyR
2014-07-09, 02:10 PM
Flail at the ready, Gundwolf follows Kristoph down into the next room, eyeing the room (but particularly the sarcophagus) suspiciously.

Survival: [roll1]

Albinobrow
2014-07-10, 06:46 AM
Fruril also follows Kristoph a short distance behind, and looks past the party for anything of note ahead of them.

Perception [roll0]
Survival [roll1] track the footsteps?

Untarr
2014-07-10, 07:02 AM
[roll0] Stealth

[roll1] ATK
[roll2] DMG
[roll3] Fort vs DC 13 [Happens in Round 2]

You hear something moving in the previous room. It sounds like it has hundreds of legs. A slight panic comes over you as you realize that Leone is not with the rest of the party. Both of you get to go in the surprise round. Roll Initiative and give me your actions.

There is nothing magical in the upper chamber. The sarcophagus detects as magical, further study reveals that there are several magic auras inside.

There are the impressions in the dust of fingers having touched the sarcophagus. You lift up the lid and inside are an assortment of items.

12 Silver Arrows
+1 Arrows (10)
+1 Ghost Touch Arrows (5)
+1 Undead Bane Arrows (2)
Cure Light Wounds Potions (5)
Lesser Restoration Potions (2)
Hide from Undead Scroll (2)
Protection from Evil Scroll
A thin hardwood case decorated with an image of a scarab with a single eye glaring from its back.
You recognize the eye as the same that appears on the Professor's book, Manual of the Order of the Palatine Eye.

Farmerbink
2014-07-10, 07:48 AM
Elian looks briefly among the assembled group, noticing Leone's absence. Wait, where did Leone go? There's something moving back up te stairs! Kristoph, everyone, hurry! Leone is probably in danger!

Without waiting to see if anyone is followinmg, Elian dashes back up the stairs.

Surprise round!

Move action back up the stairs, and either cast daze (if humanoid, or humanoid undead (fey bloodline, yo)), or shoot it with the crossbow (not humanoid)

[roll0] (+1 more if within 30 feet) attack, crit 19-20
[roll1] cc (PBS, +1)
[roll2] damage

Farmerbink
2014-07-10, 07:49 AM
[roll0] and stuff

DarkOne-Rob
2014-07-10, 08:10 AM
(Cannot act this round due to surprise, but going to go ahead and respond with what I can do...)
Intelligence Check vs DC 10 [roll0]
Initiative (for when it matters) [roll1]
Snapping his head up to see Elian run out of the room Kristoph yells, "Leona? Elian, wait! Let Gund and I go first!"

MuffinMan
2014-07-10, 09:58 AM
Surprise!

[roll0]

AC 12, Touch 12, Flat-footed 10, CMD 10, Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +3, CMB -2, Base Attack Bonus 0
(+2 Dex)
Condition None
Kristoph 1/1 Elian 0/1 Fruril 0/1 Gundwolf 0/1 Aurora 0/1

"Something's there! I hear.. legs, lots of them! What should we do?" A look of fright comes over her face and she clutches the owl close, heeding Krisoph's advice to let the others lead.

Draw dagger and move to the center of the group / room, allowing Kristoph and the half-orcs to go first. "Fight Defensively" for +2 AC.

JWallyR
2014-07-10, 01:33 PM
[roll0]

Gundwolf (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=860459)
M Chaotic Neutral Half-Orc Barbarian, Level 1, Init +1, HP 15/15, DR 0, Speed 40
AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 14, CMD 16, Fort +5, Ref +1, Will +1, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
Trip, Disarm Heavy Flail +5 (1d10+Str *1.5, 19-20, x2)
Dagger +5 (1d4+Str, 19-20, x2)
Sling (Bullets x 50) +2 (1d4+Str, x2)
Hide Armor (+4 Armor, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 7
Condition None

Untarr
2014-07-10, 06:05 PM
[roll0] Initiative
[roll1] C2 Attack
[roll2] C2 CC
[roll3] Dmg

Leone is at 4/9 hp

Elian races up the stairs and comes face to face with a http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HihxJsU4qig/UKh9jAWlT8I/AAAAAAAADv0/CI3VLWytLeA/s1600/Giant_Centipede.jpg that has Leone in its jaws. In his rush his bolt shoots wide and clangs off the wall behind the pair. Suddenly, a second creature appears directly in front of him and attacks with its jaws. Deftly dodging its attack, he suddenly realizes how exposed he's made himself to the creatures attacks.

Giant centipedes attack nearly any living creatures with their poisonous jaws. These creatures adapt to many environments and feed voraciously on the local fauna, including humanoids. They are immune to mind-effects.

Map Updated. Go for round 1.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-07-10, 06:21 PM
Round 1
Male Lawful Good Half-Elf Paladin, Level 1, Init +3, HP 13/13, Speed 20 ft. (30 ft. Base)
AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 17, CMD 14, Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +2, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus +1
Longsword +3 attack, 1d8+2 damage, crit on a natural 19-20 for x2 damage (+1 Damage vs. Undead)
Scale Mail, Heavy Steel Shield (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 7, Cha 18
Condition Concerned for those around him.
Kristoph bursts into a run up the stairs, doing his best to push Elian out of the way so that he can stand between the party and the centipede, brandishing his sword and shield defensively. "Leona! We're coming!" he yells, praying to Pharasma that they can get there in time.
I would like to do whatever I can do get in the doorway (H14) to protect everyone I can from the centipede. If Elian and Kristoph were hostile I would be trying a bull rush (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/combat.html#_bull-rush), but since we aren't I am hopeful that Elian will allow himself to be pushed to the side as part of my move.

I would also like to be fighting defensively for a +2 dodge bonus to AC, since I cannot charge through the rest of the party to attack and don't have enough actions to move-attack the bug. These stats have not been included in my statistics above, since I am not sure I can do all this in one turn.

Finally, I am not delaying my action for Elian, since I got a decent initiative and want to keep it if I can...

So, how does that sound?

JWallyR
2014-07-10, 07:01 PM
Round 1

From earlier: [roll0]

Gundwolf icily assesses the situation before rushing toward the nearest centipede, flail already in motion...

Move to H19 or thereabouts to attack the nearest centipede.
Attack: [roll1] <--- Crit! (19-20 range)
CC: [roll2] <--- please be a hit... :smallamused:
Damage: [roll3]

Gundwolf (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=860459)
M Chaotic Neutral Half-Orc Barbarian, Level 1, Init +1, HP 15/15, DR 0, Speed 40
AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 14, CMD 16, Fort +5, Ref +1, Will +1, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
Trip, Disarm Heavy Flail +5 (1d10+Str *1.5, 19-20, x2)
Dagger +5 (1d4+Str, 19-20, x2)
Sling (Bullets x 50) +2 (1d4+Str, x2)
Hide Armor (+4 Armor, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 7
Condition None

MuffinMan
2014-07-10, 07:19 PM
Round 1

(+2 Dex)
Condition None
Kristoph 1/1 Elian 0/1 Fruril 0/1 Gundwolf 0/1
Aurora 0/1

Aurora dashes up the stairs just behind Kristoph. "Aiiee-!" she stifles a yell as the terrifying creatures come into view. As she moves off to the side, a familiar glint comes into her eyes...

Delay action until Kristoph moves (same initiative, so no biggy). Then move to F17 and use Evil Eye (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/baseClasses/witch.html#evil-eye) on the centipede in front of Elian (-2 AC for 7 rounds, or DC 14 Will save reduces the duration to 1 round)

Albinobrow
2014-07-10, 08:39 PM
Round 1

After seeing Elian run back upstairs and hearing Aurora's yelp, Fruril runs back as well through the other door! Seeing the centipede blocking the other door, he moves in to attack!

Fruril (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=855696)
M CG Half-Orc Ranger (Inflitrator), Level 1, Init +2, HP 13/13, Speed 30w/a or 20w/oa
AC 17, Touch 12, Flat-footed 15, CMD 16, Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +2, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 01
Falchion +4 (2d4+4, 18-20/x2)
Longbow (arrows) +3 (1b8, x3)
Dagger +4 (1d4+3, 19-20/x2)
Scale mail (+5 Armor, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 17, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 7
Condition None

Move to H,20
POWER Attack!!! [roll0]
Crit confirmation (on roll of 18-20) [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
If I recieve an AoO: attack [roll3] crit confirm [roll4] damage [roll5]

Knowledge Nature check [roll6]
Intellegince check [roll7]

Those of you currently not in the jaws of these animals, try to stay out! Those of you who are, try not to get poisoned!

Farmerbink
2014-07-10, 08:49 PM
Round 1

Elian Evenstarr (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=856175)
M NG Dhampir Seeker Sorc 1(Sanguine/Fey), Level 1, Init +5, HP 6/6, Speed 30
AC 13, Touch 13, Flat-footed 10, CMD 13, Fort +0, Ref +3, Will -1, CMB +0, Base Attack Bonus 0
PBS light crossbow (20 bolts) +3 (1d8, 19-20/x2)
Dagger 0 or +3 (1d4, 19-20/x2)
Heavy Mace 0 (1d8, x2)
(+3 Dex)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 8, Cha 19
Condition None

Elian steps away from the centipede, allowing his more armored companions to take the front line. He then loads his crossbow and fires at the centipede holding Leone. Hold on, Leone! We're here!

5-foot step northwest(?) to F17, move action to load crossbow, standard to fire

[roll0] attack (counting PBS-I'll end up exactly 30 feet away crit on 19+)
[roll1] crit confirm
[roll2] damage (crit for x2)

Untarr
2014-07-11, 02:35 PM
Round 1

Which you shouldn't be looking at. Close it now. I love you.

Chad
[roll0] Initiative
[roll1] ATK
[roll2] CC
[roll3] DMG

Leone
[roll4] vs DC 13 Fort
[roll5] Initiative
[roll6] ATK
[roll7] CC
[roll8] DMG
GC1
[roll9] ATK
[roll10] CC
[roll11]

GC2
[roll12] ATK
[roll13] CC
[roll14]

Leone Fails Fort Save
Attacks and kills GC1
GC2 is immune to Evil Eye
Kristoph Moves and bullrushes Elian (Purposefully failing CMD)
Chad Moves and opens right door
Fruril moves and kills GC2

With fire in her eyes, Leone grasps her weapon with her non-injured hand and connects with a vicious uppercut. Entrails flying everywhere, the giant-centipede that bit her falls to the ground. Her arm visibly throbs from the wound.

Aurora's eyes go black as she focuses on the second giant centipede, but it seems to not notice whatever it was she was trying to do. Moving swiftly, Kristoph pushes Elian out of the way of the door and raises his shield. Right behind him is Fruril, who uses the momentary distraction from the shield to attack the centipede. Scoring a solid blow, the centipede collapses immediately, all life gone out of its many limbs.

This is where you would normally see relevant numbers (if attacks hit a PC, you will see the DMG here). In this case, both attacks hit and did enough damage to kill the centipedes. The rolls are behind the DM screen.

[roll15]

Let me move the pieces around the map when i do combat posts. You accidentally moved somewhere you couldn't and I had to rule it differently. In this case it doesn't matter.

Leone is poisoned.

COMBAT OVER

DarkOne-Rob
2014-07-11, 03:29 PM
Kristoph turns to Fruril with newfound admiration in his expression. "Nicely done, there. It is good to see that we have several capable warriors amongst us..." he says, absently wiping off pieces of the centipede from his shield.

Turning to Leone he says, "You appear to have handled that one all by yourself. I am sorry to have been so focused on the hopes of funding a cache of useful items, Miss Leone. I will try and pay closer attention to my surroundings. Thank Pharasma you are safe."
Untrained, with a Wisdom penalty! [roll0]

JWallyR
2014-07-11, 03:36 PM
Seeing the centipedes both fall before his arrival, Gund grunts noncommittally before turning to appraise Leone's condition.

[roll0]

Seeing nothing aside from her shaken and scratched condition, he returns to his scanning of the surroundings, watching for any other surprises..

MuffinMan
2014-07-11, 08:03 PM
"Miss Leone! You're hurt!" Aurora's eyes return to their usual shade of green as she sheaths her dagger and rushes to the acolytes' side.

Use Healing Hex (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/baseClasses/witch.html#healing) to heal Leone for [roll0] HP. Then, Heal check of [roll1] to assess her condition

MuffinMan
2014-07-11, 08:10 PM
"I think you'll be all right now, how do you feel?" After establishing that no one else in the group is injured, Aurora goes back downstairs to investigate the items found in the sarcophagus.

First, Spellcraft checks for item identification:
Bundle of 10 Arrows
[roll0] vs DC 13: fail

Bundle of 5 Arrows
[roll1] vs DC 24: fail

Bundle of 2 Arrows
[roll2] vs DC 23: fail

5 red potions
[roll3] vs DC 16: success

2 light blue potions
[roll4] vs DC 17: success

Scroll Bundle
[roll5] vs DC 16: success

Scroll
[roll6] vs DC 16: success

And lastly, the intelligence check:
[roll7]: success

"Um, I can't make anything of the arrows, but I think I recognize the rest of these items!" She eagerly explains her findings to the rest of the group.

MuffinMan
2014-07-11, 08:21 PM
With a small gasp as she recognizes the scarab symbol, Aurora attempts to quickly sneak the hardwood case into a pocket without the others seeing!

(this would happen temporally right before describing the other items, of course)

(untrained) [roll0]

Untarr
2014-07-11, 08:27 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
Round 1 [roll2] Dex Damage
Round 2 [roll3] Dex Damage

Leone looks up at Aurora
Its ok. I can hardly move my hand, but your magic seems to have stopped the pain. I feel better now.

Anyone who is standing next to the sarcophagus as Aurora looks through the items needs to make an opposed Perception check against her Slight of Hand. If you beat her roll of 6, your character notices her take the book.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-07-11, 08:50 PM
Anyone who is standing next to the sarcophagus as Aurora looks through the items needs to make an opposed Perception check against her Slight of Hand. If you beat her roll of 6, your character notices her take the book.
It might make things much easier if Kristoph simply doesn't see...but that wouldn't be much fun. :smallwink:

Edit: Aw, sad day...I failed.
[roll0] (Fail)

Farmerbink
2014-07-12, 12:52 AM
[roll0] int
[roll1] untrained heal check with a wis penalty!
[roll2] perception

Leave it to me to be the only one who identifies the poison and still can't see a pitiful attempt at snitching the goods.

Leone, if you would, please let me inspect that wound. It looks... off.. I'm assuming she lets me, since you called for a heal check Oh my! You've been poisoned! Don't know if I should know details. Since I don't IRL, I'm not gonna pretend I do. Good night.

Untarr
2014-07-12, 08:22 AM
By the time you inspected Leone she had made her saving throw. She is no longer poisoned. I'll work on making that more clear in the future.

JWallyR
2014-07-12, 09:58 AM

Gund lets out a low growl at Aurora. First hiding your cursed magic, now trying to pocket things behind my back? What are you playing at? He advances slowly toward her, a muted snarl on his silent lips.

MuffinMan
2014-07-12, 11:52 AM
Aurora flinches at the Gundwolf's sudden inquiry, heavy-laden with menace. "W-wait, wait - it's nothing! I- I need to examine it further!" She jumps to her feet starts backing away from Gundwolf. Eyes wide, she quickly scans the faces of the group, looking for support. Her gaze rests for a moment on Kristoph, but then she hesitates at the sight of his holy symbol and the two Pharasman acolytes accompanying them. She goes to Elian, still trying to keep maximum distance from Gundwolf. "Please, Mister Evenstarr - I believe this could be connected with the professor's writings, and possibly even with the incident last night! We have to get back to the library to complete the research!"

Trying to deflect inquiries and appease Gundwolf without being entirely honest: Bluff [roll0]
^^ It can probably be an IC decision whether people want to roll an opposed Sense Motive. Gundwolf, at least, probably has no interest in hearing her excuses and won't be dissuaded!

And just a reminder, she also still hasn't told the group what she knows about the Order of the Palatine Eye and the significance of the scarab symbol.

But she's planning to, honest! :smallwink:

DarkOne-Rob
2014-07-12, 12:28 PM
Gund lets out a low growl at Aurora. First hiding your cursed magic, now trying to pocket things behind my back? What are you playing at? He advances slowly toward her, a muted snarl on his silent lips.

Aurora flinches at the Gundwolf's sudden inquiry, heavy-laden with menace. "W-wait, wait - it's nothing! I- I need to examine it further!" She jumps to her feet starts backing away from Gundwolf. Eyes wide, she quickly scans the faces of the group, looking for support. Her gaze rests for a moment on Kristoph, but then she hesitates at the sight of his holy symbol and the two Pharasman acolytes accompanying them. She goes to Elian, still trying to keep maximum distance from Gundwolf. "Please, Mister Evenstarr - I believe this could be connected with the professor's writings, and possibly even with the incident last night! We have to get back to the library to complete the research!"

Kristoph watches events unfold for a moment before stepping forward. "Hold on a moment! Calm down and let's handle this like adults. What did you see, Gund, and what are you talking about Aurora?"

JWallyR
2014-07-12, 08:07 PM
Eyes not leaving Aurora, Gundwolf responds to Kristoph: The girl tried to sneak something from the sarcophagus into her pocket. Something small, made of wood, but regardless of what it was, I won't have secrets being held behind my back by those I'm risking life and limb for. He twirls the business end of his flail a couple of times for emphasis.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-07-12, 09:36 PM
Eyes not leaving Aurora, Gundwolf responds to Kristoph: The girl tried to sneak something from the sarcophagus into her pocket. Something small, made of wood, but regardless of what it was, I won't have secrets being held behind my back by those I'm risking life and limb for. He twirls the business end of his flail a couple of times for emphasis.

Looking first at Aurora and then at Gund, Kristoph says, "Well, I cannot say I blame you. Miss Aurora, how about you take this item, return it to the pile, and then we take all of this back to Father Grimburrow. Once there, you can explain your actions in a less stressful environment." Moving to gently but firmly place himself between the big half-orc and the young woman he continues, "We know Lorrimor trusted both of you, and it is clear he kept some secrets himself. Let's just assume for the moment that there isn't any effort to use magic against Mr. Gundwolf, and that he isn't planning to use that flail right now. Show some respect for the late Professor's opinion of each of us and calm down."
As a player and often a DM I would strongly discourage attempting to use the interpersonal skills like Diplomacy, Bluff, or Intimidate against other players. The rules guiding the adjudication of those skills (and Sense Motive) are intended for use vs. NPCs and really shouldn't be applied to PC-PC interactions. I am not going to roll a Diplomacy check for this reason unless Starnes decides it is the best approach. (If he does, please roll it for me with my +8 modifier).

MuffinMan
2014-07-12, 11:31 PM
Aurora withdraws the case from her pocket and holds it in front of her with trembling fingers. "I- I can explain, but not here... and not in front of..." she swallows hard as she continues. "Father Grimburrow. There- there's another item with this symbol among the professor's belongings, and I think it could be a critical clue. P-please, let's just return to Miss Kendra at the house!" Her voice rises near the end, and she looks pleadingly between Elian, Fruril, and Kristoph.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-07-13, 01:32 AM
This is Leone and Chad. They will accompany you to this cache, if it exists. I remind you that whatever you find is the property of the church and request that it be returned here first.

Turning to the two acolytes Kristoph bows his head slightly and makes the Pharasman salute against his breast. "We will investigate the tomb and first return any supplies we find here. Thank you, Father," he says to Father Grimburrow. Then he turns and begins walking out towards the Restlands and the crypt-cache.

Aurora withdraws the case from her pocket and holds it in front of her with trembling fingers. "I- I can explain, but not here... and not in front of..." she swallows hard as she continues. "Father Grimburrow. There- there's another item with this symbol among the professor's belongings, and I think it could be a critical clue. P-please, let's just return to Miss Kendra at the house!" Her voice rises near the end, and she looks pleadingly between Elian, Fruril, and Kristoph.

"Miss Aurora, we were given very clear directions by the good Father, and as a paladin of the deity he serves I am somewhat bound to follow such orders. You leave me and these two acolytes in a very difficult position," Kristoph says, his face concerned. "Are you concerned that he will not allow us to take this case into our possession? Or is there something else that concerns you? He will certainly hear from either Leone or Chad about it and if we are not forthcoming. I do not think he will be as likely to be supportive in the future as he would if we were to do as he asks..."

Though Kristoph wants to resolve Aurora's anxiety, he is clearly not supportive of handling things in this way.
Holy cow, Ian. Can you make this any harder for a Paladin of Pharasma than to ask me to disobey orders from a priest of my deity? Cross the church, behave unlawfully, do it in front of two other presumably devout members of the faith...

Farmerbink
2014-07-13, 12:51 PM
Elian steps forward and places a hand gently on the half-orc's shoulder, while eyeing Aurora. Kristoph has the right of it, friend. I am glad you noticed what I did not, and we will certainly see to it that what should be done will be. For now, we should make sure this stash is empty, search for any clues as to who might have used it, and report to father Grimborrow. There is no need for bloodshed among us... I think.

After a meaningful glance at Aurora, he heeds his own words, searching the area for any secret bases or other interesting things.

[roll0] perception. +1 more in the case of traps.

JWallyR
2014-07-13, 03:27 PM
Gund stares icily at Aurora before abruptly holstering his flail. I care not for your clues. Take care that you keep your devilry away from me, and I'll do you the courtesy of keeping my steel away from you. He crosses his arms, one hand resting near the dagger at his belt, and leans against a wall, watching as the party continues their search.

MuffinMan
2014-07-13, 04:05 PM
"Devilry? I-! I-! ...nevermind..." Blushing, Aurora, looks away from the group and back down at the assorted items on the floor. "I think I've made all I can of these items for now. Shouldn't we be moving on, then?" Placing the scarab case in Kristoph's hands, she turns away stiffly and walks over to Leone, making a show of reinspecting the wound.

There was a DC we didn't beat earlier, so, if relevant: [roll0]

DarkOne-Rob
2014-07-13, 05:11 PM
Placing the scarab case in Kristoph's hands, she turns away stiffly...

Kristoph looks at the case, Gund, and Aurora with a confused look on his face. Then shrugging he turns to the two acolytes, they gather up the various items from the cache, and they make their way back to the cathedral to speak with Father Grimburrow.

When they arrive there he greets the priest with the proper deference and says, "Father Grimburrow, there was an altercation at the tomb. Leone fought off one of two giant centipedes and was bitten. She may need medical attention. There was also a cache of items, several of which we were not able to identify. We also found this case, which we would like to keep; it matches an item in the late Professor's home and Miss Aurora here thinks there may be a connection. Would you help us by identifying the remaining items and give us your blessing to use them to explore the ruins, please?"
[roll0] To convince the Father to help us in the ways described.

Farmerbink
2014-07-13, 09:58 PM
On the way back to the cathedral, Elian pulls Aurora to the side of the group, speaking quietly. What, exactly, the hell was that all about? I hope you know that I value both your expertise and the professor's opinion of you, but pranks like that are NOT the way to garner trust! I do not know what that stupid scarab case is about, I suspect the others here do not either. Nor do I care. Unless you intend to finish the professor's work by yourself, which I suspect would be daunting, to say the least, you need to learn to work with a group! Your magical propensities will not alienate us. At least, not most of us. Antics like that, will.

I am not your father, and do not care to act like it. You know better than to treat companions in good faith like this. With his best attempt at a patronly glare, Elian moves back to the rest of the group.

Albinobrow
2014-07-14, 03:37 PM
Fruril walks along with the group silently, staying nearby Aurora though not directly next to her. He is thankful he didn't have to try and restrain Gundwolf again, but does want to be ready should the need arise again.

JWallyR
2014-07-14, 05:11 PM
On the way back to the temple, Gundwolf ranges around the outskirts of the party, twirling his flail in irritation while making no effort to engage any of the party in eye contact or conversation. At the temple, he crosses his arms over his chest while turning his back to the assemblage, just close enough to listen to the conversation that transpires.

Untarr
2014-07-14, 10:18 PM
Leone will be fine. She is quite resilient and we are expert healers. I will help you identify the items. I heard from the sheriff what happened at the monument. While most of the town may not try to help you, I have a feeling this is much bigger than we suspect, and thus, you have my aide. If you give me until tomorrow, I will identify the rest of this. You can spend the time in our library. We have extensive records that may aide you if you wish. He points behind him at a door on the right.

Is there anything else?

You can make another knowledge check today. Using the Temple of Pharasma grants you a +4 on checks for harrowstone, for its specific prisoners, and the Whispering Way. Make sure you review the information Aurora discovered last night before you try to further your understanding.

MuffinMan
2014-07-14, 10:47 PM
After a silent nod at minimal curtsy directed at the priest, Aurora strides quickly and purposefully through the door to the library, letting the door close heavily behind her. Once inside, she leads back against it for a moment, taking quick, deep breaths and fighting back tears as the knot in her stomach finally begins to loosen. With a sniffle or two, she pats Socrates, wipes her eyes, and sets about investigating the library.

There may be more interactions before she finishes the research, of course, but I'll go ahead and make the rolls:

(+4 Circumstance Bonus from library applied)
Knowledge:History for Harrowstone, generally: [roll0]

Knowledge:History for "Father Charlatan": [roll1]
Knowledge:History for "The Lopper": [roll2]
Knowledge:History for "The Mosswater Marauder": [roll3]
Knowledge:History for "The Piper of Illmarsh": [roll4]
Knowledge:History for "The Splatter Man": [roll5]

Knowledge:History for the Whispering Way, generally: [roll6]

And finally, without the circumstance bonus
Knowledge:History for more on the Order of the Palatine Eye: [roll7]

(Same modifiers for Knowledge:Arcana if that's more relevant for any.)
(Also, prioritize the three 'general' checks above the five specific individuals if there's not enough time for all - that's a lot of reading to do!)

JWallyR
2014-07-14, 10:58 PM
Gund turns and brusquely addresses the priest: Have you grounds for sparring? I have no interest in tomes, but my arms ache of disuse.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-07-15, 07:10 AM
Kristoph bows his head in deference to Father Grimburrow, then takes the case with the scarab icon in hand, says "Thank you, Father," and follows Aurora towards the library.

Knocking lightly, he enters and says, "Miss Aurora, I feel like there is something more going on here, and that perhaps I owe an apology. I have the case here; please tell me why this is so important. When we enter Harrowstone later we must be unified in purpose and trust each other completely. After I speak to you I plan to speak to Gundwolf and see what can be done there, but first I need to understand what is going on here..." As he speaks he removes his weapons, leaving them by the door, and hands her the case, sincere concern in his eyes and voice.

MuffinMan
2014-07-15, 09:07 AM
Aurora looks up from an already considerable mound of textbooks arrayed about her as Kristoph enters. As she takes the case, her cheeks redden again, and she looks down at it for a moment without answering. Finally she looks up. "Mister Kristoph, have you ever heard of a group known as The Esoteric Order of The Palantine Eye? They're a secret society, some say spanning all of Ustalav and beyond, dedicated to all manner of political and arcane agendas. Some of the rumors about them are... not so pleasant."

She swallows hard before she continues. Holding up the case, she tilts it so that the single-eyed scarab catches the light. "This is their symbol! It's the same one we found on that locked book in the professor's trunk! Don't you see, it means that he was mixed up with them somehow, maybe even a member! I didn't say anything at first because I needed more time to study it, maybe to find more context in the house, but then we went to that tomb and we found this case and then I didn't know what else to do! You've heard the horrible things the townsfolk have all been saying about the professor - what would they have done if they heard this too? I- I just wanted a chance to figure things out... but then that man with the flail saw me and started being so awful and I... I-!" Her words come faster and faster as she goes on, and tears are welling in her eyes again by the time she finishes speaking.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-07-15, 09:29 AM
Kristoph gently lays a hand over Aurora's and says, "It's all right, just breathe a minute. Gundwolf reacted threateningly, but I suspect his lack of trust is not about you so much as about magic in general. It probably didn't help that you were secretive about the case, but that is over now. I will talk to him about this later.

This order is unfamiliar to me. My studies have focused upon religious topics, and I must admit I am not the finest student. We all worked with the Professor in one way or another; we know he was a good man who fought against the darkness. If he was involved with this Palantine Eye, it will have been for good reason. Open the case, inspect what you find, and if you are afraid to share it with everyone publicly, at least share it with me. If we work together, this will all work out, I am sure."

Kristoph then stands, leaving the case with Aurora, moves towards the door, and gathers his weapons. "I will ask Father Grimburrow to allow us to keep the case. It was probably Lorrimor's in the first place, so he should allow it." He then turns and leaves the library.
------------------------

Finding Father Grimburrow in the cathedral Kristoph asks, "Father, after speaking with Aurora more closely, I am convinced the case we mentioned with the scarab icon was originally Professor Lorrimor's. He must have left it in the cache when he visited it last. May we take it back to the late Professor's home, to be included with his other possessions, please?"

[roll0] To convince the priest to allow this. I am hoping to be allowed a new roll given the additional information received after talking to Aurora. If not, the original roll several posts up was a 9...
After receiving the priest's answer, the paladin leaves the building to find Gundwolf.
------------------------

Once he finds the half-orc, Kristoph simply asks, "Would you accept a sparring partner, Gundwolf?" He then takes up his shield and longsword, carefully casing the blade so that he and the large man can practice without risk of injury from it.

MuffinMan
2014-07-15, 09:40 AM
Kristoph gently lays a hand over Aurora's and says, "Open the case, inspect what you find, and if you are afraid to share it with everyone publicly, at least share it with me. If we work together, this will all work out, I am sure."

Aurora sniffles a bit and wipes at her eyes with the back of her hands, but Kristoph's words seem to calm her. "Thank you. I- I'll let you all know what I discover." Once he has left to speak with Grimburrow and Gundwolf she sits a moment longer, scratching Socrates and staring at the case on the table before her. Taking a deep breath, she purposefully reaches down and snaps the case open, ready to see what's inside.

Farmerbink
2014-07-15, 11:23 AM
I will help you identify the items. I heard from the sheriff what happened at the monument. While most of the town may not try to help you, I have a feeling this is much bigger than we suspect, and thus, you have my aide. If you give me until tomorrow, I will identify the rest of this. You can spend the time in our library. We have extensive records that may aide you if you wish.

Elian bows deeply to the priest, Thank you father. Your aid is greatly appreciated. I think we all have much to ponder.

As the priest walks away, and the rest of the group goes about their respective tasks, Elian follows Kristoph quietly to the door. Not wanting to be an additional distraction, but intensely curious, he waits behind the closed door, trying to hear what's going on beyond. [roll0] perception
As the conversation draws to a close, Elian opens the door, just in time for Kristoph to walk out. Elian steps inside, taking in the library as he gently closes the door. This is some place! Goodness! I see our young academic has already gotten started. He smiles pleasantly as he walks to where Aurora is leaning over the case. Would you like company for this? I, for one, would be hesitant to open that case, were I in your position. The unknown carries its own breed of danger. I can attest for that personally.

JWallyR
2014-07-15, 01:47 PM
Once he finds the half-orc, Kristoph simply asks, "Would you accept a sparring partner, Gundwolf?" He then takes up his shield and longsword, carefully casing the blade so that he and the large man can practice without risk of injury from it.

After a final, crushing swing of his heavy flail, Gundwolf turns from the collection of rubble that apparently used to be a sparring target and seems to notice the paladin. I am unaccustomed to fighting for less than my life, so I warn you that I may be a rougher playmate even than I mean to be. He grins savagely (but without malice) at Kristoph, baring his oversized canines in the process. However, you seem to be the only member of our motley crew who might not crumble from a single blow, so I leave it in your hands. Gently, almost reverently placing his preferred weapon on a nearby bench, Gund reaches for a giant sparring blade from a nearby rack and strikes a pose of readiness.

Sparring combat?? Can we adjudicate this through nonlethal combat?? :smallbiggrin:

DarkOne-Rob
2014-07-15, 03:25 PM
After a final, crushing swing of his heavy flail, Gundwolf turns from the collection of rubble that apparently used to be a sparring target and seems to notice the paladin. I am unaccustomed to fighting for less than my life, so I warn you that I may be a rougher playmate even than I mean to be. He grins savagely (but without malice) at Kristoph, baring his oversized canines in the process. However, you seem to be the only member of our motley crew who might not crumble from a single blow, so I leave it in your hands. Gently, almost reverently placing his preferred weapon on a nearby bench, Gund reaches for a giant sparring blade from a nearby rack and strikes a pose of readiness.

Looking at the demolished sparring dummy, Kristoph simply says, "So I see," takes a defensive stance, and bows his head slightly. "I am ready."
[roll0] Initiative
Taking a total defense action, out of caution considering Gundwolf's recent aggression for AC of 22
After the barbarian's first attack, Kristoph continues to use total defense for several rounds, doing his best to stay just out of reach of the big half-orc. "Do you hate the undead, Gundwolf?" he asks, doing his best to keep his breath steady and even.

JWallyR
2014-07-15, 03:54 PM
Gundwolf nods at Kristoph and immediately attacks with his sparring sword:

Initiative: [roll0]

Using a borrowed sparring great sword:

A few rounds of attacks:
Attack:[roll1]
CC:[roll2]
Damage: [roll]2d6+6[roll] <-- glad these didn't matter! lulz

Attack:[roll3]
CC:[roll4]
Damage: [roll]2d6+6[roll]

Attack:[roll5]
CC:[roll6]
Damage: [roll]2d6+6[roll]

Do you hate the undead, Gundwolf?

Gundwolf snarls, Of course I do. They ripped away from me the only home I ever had, and what little family I have ever known.

Attack:[roll7] <-- power attacking
CC:[roll8]
Damage: [roll]2d6+9[roll]

DarkOne-Rob
2014-07-15, 04:29 PM
Gundwolf snarls, Of course I do. They ripped away from me the only home I ever had, and what little family I have ever known.

"I see. You have good reason for your hatred, then," Kristoph replies calmly. Seeing the barbarian swinging his practice weapon more forcefully but with less control the paladin begins to make several cautious jabs of his own.

Fighting Defensively, instead of using Total Defense, for an AC of 20.
[roll0] attack, [roll1] critical confirmation on a natural 19 or 20 for x2 damage, [roll2] damage

[roll3] attack, [roll4] critical confirmation on a natural 19 or 20 for x2 damage, [roll5] damage

[roll6] attack, [roll7] critical confirmation on a natural 19 or 20 for x2 damage, [roll8] damage
After several seconds of silence Kristoph asks, "If you hate the undead, do you love life and the living?"

Returning to Total Defense for an AC of 22.

JWallyR
2014-07-15, 06:22 PM
Resuming normal attacks:
Attack: [roll0]
CC: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Attack: [roll3]
CC: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Attack: [roll6]
CC: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8]

After several seconds of silence Kristoph asks, "If you hate the undead, do you love life and the living?"

Pausing to catch his breath after several fruitless swings, Gundwolf barks out, Life was thrust upon me, and likewise the living. As neither has shown love for me, I have little for either.

Untarr
2014-07-15, 06:24 PM
A small crowd begins to gather around the two combatants as the sounds of their combat ring throughout the yard.

MuffinMan
2014-07-15, 07:56 PM
As the conversation draws to a close, Elian opens the door, just in time for Kristoph to walk out. Elian steps inside, taking in the library as he gently closes the door. This is some place! Goodness! I see our young academic has already gotten started. He smiles pleasantly as he walks to where Aurora is leaning over the case. Would you like company for this? I, for one, would be hesitant to open that case, were I in your position. The unknown carries its own breed of danger. I can attest for that personally.

"Oh, Mister Evenst- um, Elian! Um..." she falls silent for a moment, "yes... yes! I suppose I would. Thank you..." She doesn't immediately open the case, though, instead turning it over and playing with it in her hands for several seconds. "But first... I think I owe you an apology..." She fidgets in her seat, but when she continues her voice is steady: "I've been thinking about what happened, and about what you said on the road... I should not have concealed this from you." She places the case on the table in front of them and forces herself to fold her hands in her lap. "As I was just explaining to Mister Kristoph, I- I acted rashly because I was afraid, for Professor Lorrimor's sake, of what this box could do to his reputation. They're already saying such hateful things about him!" She notices her voice rising and, breathing deeply, she takes hold of the table edge to steady herself. Soon, calmer, she continues, "Especially because of where we've seen this symbol before!" She taps the scarab. "Do you recognize it? It's the same symbol we saw on the locked tome in the professor's trunk!!! Mist- um, Elian, have you ever heard of The Esoteric Order of the Palantine Eye?"

She proceeds to describe the (little) she can recall having read about the secretive society.

Farmerbink
2014-07-15, 09:39 PM
"Oh, Mister Evenst- um, Elian! Um..." she falls silent for a moment, "yes... yes! I suppose I would. Thank you..." She doesn't immediately open the case, though, instead turning it over and playing with it in her hands for several seconds. "But first... I think I owe you an apology..." She fidgets in her seat, but when she continues her voice is steady: "I've been thinking about what happened, and about what you said on the road... I should not have concealed this from you." She places the case on the table in front of them and forces herself to fold her hands in her lap. "As I was just explaining to Mister Kristoph, I- I acted rashly because I was afraid, for Professor Lorrimor's sake, of what this box could do to his reputation. They're already saying such hateful things about him!" She notices her voice rising and, breathing deeply, she takes hold of the table edge to steady herself. Soon, calmer, she continues, "Especially because of where we've seen this symbol before!" She taps the scarab. "Do you recognize it? It's the same symbol we saw on the locked tome in the professor's trunk!!! Mist- um, Elian, have you ever heard of The Esoteric Order of the Palantine Eye?"

She proceeds to describe the (little) she can recall having read about the secretive society.

Elian pulls up a chair to the table, across from Aurora. Smiling almost passively, he looks her in the eye just slightly longer than is comfortable. His vibrantly green eyes seem to almost glow in the lamplight. After a moment, he relaxes his gaze, and purses his lips in thought before responding. Fear makes people do things they normally would not. You are certainly forgiven, though I would caution you, again, to consider the consequences of your actions. Even well-intentioned actions can have negative repercussions. Furthermore, true forgiveness is hard to come by, and I am afraid that our flail-wielding companion is perhaps overly eager to making use of said instrument as an alternative to thought. That said, just as I give you the benefit of the doubt as a favor to the late professor, I will do the same for him. I can only surmise, at this juncture, what the professor knew of him which we do not. Gods, I hope he does not decide to kill me. I cannot imagine it being a pleasant way to go... He shudders slightly before continuing.

As for this case, I had noted the similarity between the icon here and the locked tome back at the Lorrimore estate. I cannot say I had recognized it, per say, as I have not heard of this order, except very briefly in passing. I have certainly never learned enough to develop any opinion regarding their actions or reputations. I did overhear your explanation to our friend Kristoph, so I am not fully in the dark here. I have to admit, your assertion seems the most likely explanation. Whether the professor was a member, or worked with them, it cannot reasonably be denied that in some capacity the two are linked. Perhaps not cooperatively, but perhaps so. Again, I can do little more than guess without more compelling evidence one way or the other.

Shall we see what this trinket contains?

MuffinMan
2014-07-15, 10:10 PM
Aurora alternatively sniffles and looks down at her feet while Elian is speaking.

I can only surmise, at this juncture, what the professor knew of [Gundwolf] which we do not. Gods, I hope he does not decide to kill me. I cannot imagine it being a pleasant way to go...

Aurora manages a weak smile as she looks up and wipes... something, out of her eye and goes back to "perusing" the tomes in front of her...

I have to admit, your assertion seems the most likely explanation. Whether the professor was a member, or worked with them, it cannot reasonably be denied that in some capacity the two are linked. Perhaps not cooperatively, but perhaps so. Again, I can do little more than guess without more compelling evidence one way or the other.

Shall we see what this trinket contains?

At last making eye contact, Aurora looks up with a tentative smile, and, abruptly, reaches across the table to seize Elian's hand with her own.

"Yes, let's see." With a determined look on her face, she flips open the case's cover and pulls out the contents...

DarkOne-Rob
2014-07-16, 12:12 AM
Pausing to catch his breath after several fruitless swings, Gundwolf barks out, Life was thrust upon me, and likewise the living. As neither has shown love for me, I have little for either.

Returning to Fighting Defensively for an AC of 20.
[roll0] attack, [roll1] critical confirmation on a natural 19 or 20 for x2 damage, [roll2] damage

[roll3] attack, [roll4] critical confirmation on a natural 19 or 20 for x2 damage, [roll5] damage

[roll6] attack, [roll7] critical confirmation on a natural 19 or 20 for x2 damage, [roll8] damage
"Death then? You possess enough skill with arms to support such devotion..."

Once again returning to Total Defense after the verbal jab for AC of 22.

JWallyR
2014-07-16, 01:42 PM
"Death then? You possess enough skill with arms to support such devotion..."

Death is the other face of the coin of life. If I am to live, at times others must die. I neither revel in nor shirk from their death.

Damage: [roll5]

Attack: [roll6]
CC: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8]

DarkOne-Rob
2014-07-16, 02:07 PM
Death is the other face of the coin of life. If I am to live, at times others must die. I neither revel in nor shirk from their death.

Kristoph stops sparring for a moment only, holding his sword by his side, stepping back to be clear that this question is important: "Then for what cause do you fight?"

Returning to the ready, Kristoph attacks without the defensiveness he displayed before.

[roll0] attack roll, [roll1] critical confirmation, [roll2] damage

[roll3] attack roll, [roll4] critical confirmation, [roll5] damage

[roll6] attack roll, [roll7] critical confirmation, [roll8] damage
Finally connecting once, the paladin returns to total defense, attempting to let the big half-orc recover from the hit.

JWallyR
2014-07-16, 07:25 PM
"Then for what cause do you fight?"

Gundwolf hesitates for a moment, and in that moment, Kristoph's cased blade edges past his attempted parry, connecting soundly on his cheek. Face suddenly expressionless and eyes wide, Gundwolf completely freezes for a full two seconds, not even breathing.

Suddenly, he takes a deep, sharp breath. The expected exhale comes out as a rumble, growing into an ear-splitting roar as his still-widened eyes are surrounded by a scowling snarl. Suddenly, almost too fast to be possible, he swings...

RAAAAAAAGE! +4STR/Con, -2AC
Power attack: -1ATK, +2 (+3 if 2h) DMG

Damage: [roll5] <--- c'mon now.

Gundwolf's first sweeping strike skitters off of Kristoph's hastily-raised shield to audibly impact the human's exposed temple. As the human before him falls to the earth as a senseless heap, the fire behind Gundwolf's eyes seems to dissipate, and he slumps in place. Looking down at his handiwork, the practice greatsword falls from his hands. The snarling scowl fades from his face, replaced by a mixture of confusion and concern. Seeming to notice the crowd around him for the first time, his expression is the only appeal he gives as he scans the faces around him, before staring in silent shame at Kristoph's unconscious form.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-07-16, 08:05 PM
A couple of moments later Kristoph wakes up a little confused. "Where am...oh...that's going hurt..." he says, rubbing his head. Looking around at the crowd he sees Gundwolf watching him in concern.

"Hahaha! Nice hit!" he laughs, smiling at the big half-orc. "I was worried that was going to happen..." The paladin stands up, slowly, on unusually wobbly legs. "Do you drink, Gundwolf? I suddenly find myself thirsty. Let's head into town and get a bite to eat and some ale; I think I am going to need it later."

The paladin brushes himself off, declining the help of those in the gathered crowd, explaining to anyone who speaks up that they were just sparring, he's fine, thank you, etc... Walking around the cathedral he gathers up the rest of the company, offering to buy dinner if everyone will please join him in the town's best tavern. He then takes Gundwolf in arm (assuming he is willing) and walks (carefully) to get a meal.

JWallyR
2014-07-16, 10:11 PM
Gundwolf waits for Kristoph at the entrance to the cathedral in brooding silence. Declining to take his arm, he nonetheless walks at Kristoph's side toward the tavern, clearly lost in introspection.

Untarr
2014-07-17, 04:44 PM
After only looking through part of the library (it is quite extensive and will take you a while to get through everything) you learn the following.
The Whispering Way itself is a series of philosophies that can only be transferred via whispers—the philosophies are never written or spoken of loudly, making the exact goals and nature of the secretive. [Note, there is more to learn about them]
You don't find any information on any of the specific prisoners initially. However, you by chance come across an old News Posting (similar to the ones you saw posted on the poles on the first day) about the capture of
Before he snatched his victims, the Piper taunted his targets with a mournful dirge on his flute. He preferred to paralyze lone victims by dosing their meals with lich dust and then allowed his pet stirges to drink the victims dry of blood.
The complete lack of information about the Palatine Eye seems...uncanny.

A few (careful) inquiries direct you to The Laughing Demon, just off the town circle, overlooking the river. When the party enters the place has about ten customers sitting in various places around the tavern. At your entrance, all eyes race to you as the sound inside the place stops for a moment.

Suddenly a bellowing voice calls from behind the bar.

HAHAHA! Its you! The friends of the profesor. A large man walks from behind the bar, and you immediately recognize him as one of the guests at the funeral. [The one who laughed out loud]

I am Zokar, and welcome to the Laughing Demon. At his welcoming tone most of the noise returns as the patrons return to their meals, drinks, and talk.

I have just the table for you! Overlooking the river, at this time of the day, PERFECT!

He walks you to the back of the tavern and sets you around a large table next to a window. The window looks over the river, and you can see the Church of Pharasma on the opposite bank.

Now, what will it be? We have Zombie Ale, Vampire Steaks, Wolfballs, Corpse Chouder, and Liquid Ghosts.
http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/images/690222/Zokar.jpg

JWallyR
2014-07-17, 05:35 PM
Now, what will it be? We have Zombie Ale, Vampire Steaks, Wolfballs, Corpse Chouder, and Liquid Ghosts.
http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/images/690222/Zokar.jpg

With a scowl that someone also gives the impression of nausea, Gundwolf grumbles, Does any of your food have a proper name?

DarkOne-Rob
2014-07-17, 05:45 PM

Kristoph looks quizzically at their host, not sure how to respond.

With a scowl that someone also gives the impression of nausea, Gundwolf grumbles, Does any of your food have a proper name?

His face turning from confused to entertained, the paladin laughs, "Hah! Don't look so green, Gundwolf! Such black humor has its place, after all!" Turning to their host, he continues, "In proper common, though what are each of those items...? Regardless, I will take some of your ale, along with a flagon for everyone else in the bar, on me. If the steaks are really made of beef, I would like one of those too, no pink inside, with some sides. What are these 'liquid ghosts' exactly?"

Untarr
2014-07-17, 05:52 PM
Some of the drunker patrons yell out

Afraid of eating Vampire are ya?
Shaddup, its just beef with a stupid name.
Don't you tell me to shaddup, you stupid git.
HEY! He said a round on him. Who cares what its called, ITS FREE!

Laughing at the exchange, Zokar turns back to the party with a grin.

Liquid Ghosts is a special ale that can only be brewed BY THE DUMBEST TAVERNKEEP IN USTALOV. HAHAHAHAHAH *hick* in the shadow of a cemetery. It is a distinctly sweet local ale that I am sure you will enjoy. So, Vampire Steak for you, a round of Liquid Ghosts, and what else?