PDA

View Full Version : Player Help quick noobie question about the sorcerer

ebisu the witch
2014-04-13, 09:13 AM
Can I forget a spell to learn a different one . If so how do I go about it?
I'm sure you guys will answer this super fast and make me feel more noobie but I couldn't find anything on google.

evangaline
2014-04-13, 09:17 AM
but I couldn't find anything on google.

You should look in the player handbook (phb). As far as I know you should be able to retrain one x level spell to a x+1 level spell at level four, six, eight etc.

Once again, I'm not sure.

Doc_Maynot
2014-04-13, 09:34 AM
Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered sorcerer level after that (6th, 8th, and so on), a sorcerer can choose to learn a new spell in place of one he already knows. In effect, the sorcerer "loses" the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell's level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged, and it must be at least two levels lower than the highest-level sorcerer spell the sorcerer can cast. For instance, upon reaching 4th-level, a sorcerer could trade in a single 0-level spell (two spell levels below the highest-level sorcerer spell he can cast, which is 2nd) for a different 0-level spell. At 6th level, he could trade in a single 0-level or 1st-level spell (since he now can cast 3rd-level sorcerer spells) for a different spell of the same level. A sorcerer may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that he gains new spells known for the level.

Basically, barring Versatile Spellcaster/Heighten/Sanctum Spell shenanigans...

At 4th level you can trade a cantrip you know for a different cantrip
At 6th level you can trade out a 1st level or lower spell for an equal level spell
At 8th, 2nd level or lower spell for an equal level spell
At 10th, 3rd level or lower spell for an equal level spell
And it goes on

WITH the shenanigans however
At 4th level you can start trading at 2nd level or lower spells

zingbobco000
2014-05-03, 01:20 PM
At every even level after level two you can exchange one spell for another spell of the same level.

HighWater
2014-05-04, 04:31 AM
If you're really stuck with crappy spell selection, you can also ask your DM if you can use the retraining rules from Players Handbook 2 to swap out a spell that's just not quite as useful as you imagined it at your next level up. Spell selection is very important for a sorcerer and if you happened to pick something useless, perhaps the DM will sympathise...