PDA

View Full Version : Where Do You Like Your Statblocks?

Palanan
2014-04-13, 01:54 PM
Towards the latter part of the 3.5 run, the supplements did some experimenting with the formatting and placement of statblocks for monsters and NPCs. In some cases the statblocks for certain encounters were in a completely different part of the book from the encounter itself.

So, what are your preferences for how to present statblocks, and why? Should they be strung out individually in the main text, stacked at the end of a chapter, or compiled in an appendix at the end of the book? Or something else entirely?

weckar
2014-04-13, 02:01 PM
If it's for an adventure I'd say put them in an appendix (but give the abbreviated in-line form in the text).
If it is for a rulesbook I'd prefer them close to the actual description.

nyjastul69
2014-04-13, 02:07 PM
I generally like the stat blocks condensed in an appendix and not embedded in the text of the encounter. 3.5 stat blocks can be lengthy. I think the presentation of encounters in the 'Expedition to ...' adventures are my preferred layout. This is for adventures, in a MM I want them with the description of the Beastie.

drack
2014-04-13, 03:39 PM
I tend to find them in the paragraph, and it can be quite annoying when they list monster and book leaving you to dig it out yourself, though I don't use adventure paths much. More a "wing it" kinda GM.