PDA

View Full Version : longest game

magwaaf
2014-04-13, 01:55 PM
I was wondering, how long has your current or longest campaign run for, how has your game progressed?

my current game is about to hit 3 years, it started with 10 players (got up to a total of 13) and then we got a co-dm which made things easier. the party started up split where i was saved by 4 of the players in the group while an npc i was goin to meet in a city recruited the others on a smaller mission to see if they were up to the task. that set us on the path to the huge main plot, but in toher places we would go hunt around off the path or in towns/cities we would look for bounty boards or ask about jobs that adventurers could do which led to some great side quests and other players.

We are now level 15 at level 4 we switched to 3.p and this game has been going strong

Rhynn
2014-04-13, 04:50 PM
AD&D 2E campaign for maybe 3-5 years, some PCs made 9th level.

D&D 3.0/3.5 campaign (started the year 3E came out) ran probably 6-7 years, PCs reached levels 20-25 or so by the end (it was a trainwreck even after 3.5, because, you know, epic level druids in parties with straight fighters and monks).

MERP/Rolemaster campaign (ran over 2 editions of MERP and 3 editions of Rolemaster), probably 6-8 years. PCs made it to levels 5-9.

All of those probably dozens of sessions per year (and ran partly concurrently, the MERP campaign overlapping the other two).

Assorted other campaigns for 2-4 years, a bunch that probably ran under a year, and even more than only made it a few sessions.

All the same group.

detritus
2014-04-13, 05:39 PM
32 years so far. Not continuous play, there have been gaps due to relocations, marriages divorces etc. This is in a homebrew system (actually 2) not ADD

SimonMoon6
2014-04-13, 08:00 PM
Ten years was the best I managed. The game went through more than one game system. At one point, one of the PCs accidentally destroyed the multiverse, but a new multiverse sprang into existence afterwards.

RedMage125
2014-04-15, 06:02 PM
In college ran one game (one storyline) in 3.0, changed to 3.5 when that came out, and ran for 3 years. Players went from level 1 to 17 (although the campaign ending fight would have given enough XP to reach 18).

DigoDragon
2014-04-16, 08:24 AM
My longest campaign (in real world time) is about 3 years with a D&D 3.5 game. The PCs went from level 1 to about 23ish. Only two characters lived from the original team to the end (the twf ranger and the cleric). Player roster changed a bit here and there and we've had a number of dead PCs throughout. In game time the campaign lasted about 54 years (due to accidently ending it partway through with a time crash).

Second longest campaign in real time is about 2 years, a modern conspiracy game run on GURPS 3e. The PCs were supposed to be working for "The Illuminati" to fight off some alien colonists (loosely based on X-Files), but instead the PCs made a deal with the aliens to integrate them into society in exchange for assistance in killing The Illuminati. The PCs actually succeeded, but they did crash the world economy, get half of their team killed, caused a partial meltdown of a nuclear plant in Europe, and allowed the aliens to take over the judicial branch of the United States. It was quite a mess, but hey, they got what they wanted. In game time was about 6 years or so.

Magesmiley
2014-04-16, 12:33 PM
One of my friends still has a character that we pull out once or twice a year that he started back in the 80s when we were in middle school (and I was DMing). Call it 28 years roughly. The character started in OD&D was converted to 2nd Edition, and then 3/3.5 where it still is. The character is around level 40, if I recall.