PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Martial Incarnate

RavynsLand
2014-04-13, 09:10 PM
I hit a sudden spark of inspiration for something that could be awesome, until I realized that, as far as I know, it's impossible.

Is there any way to blend high-end Incarnum use with martial maneuvers? Some kind of prestige class? I was thinking along the lines of Crusader/Incarnate or Warblade/Incarnate, but both Incarnum-users and Initiators have prestige classes restricted to their own books. Is there a workaround to efficiently combine the two, or would a hard rewire of an existing PrC be required?

Irk
2014-04-13, 09:18 PM
I asked a similar question a little while ago, and while no such thing exists, Totemist/Warblade synergy is pretty powerful. There is also THIS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?101416-The-Martial-Soul-ToB-Incarnum-PrC) homebrew PrC, which is pretty cool.

RavynsLand
2014-04-13, 09:22 PM
I asked a similar question a little while ago, and while no such thing exists, Totemist/Warblade synergy is pretty powerful. There is also THIS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?101416-The-Martial-Soul-ToB-Incarnum-PrC) homebrew PrC, which is pretty cool.

That looks scary awesome. But, homebrew... hm.

Techwarrior
2014-04-13, 09:23 PM
Legacy Champion can be used for 1.5 IL, which increases the number of levels you can take meldshaper levels. I've seen it combined with Uncanny Trickster to get something like 15 effective levels of melds and maneuvers.

mabriss lethe
2014-04-13, 09:32 PM
Since they're both alternate systems, there isn't any direct support for multiclassing between them. That's not really a problem, though, seeing as both systems are amazingly good for multiclassing in their own rights.

If that's not good enough, I think the only way to boost them both to the top levels of their abilities is through Legacy Trickster PrC shenanigans, as Techwarrior just mentioned.

RavynsLand
2014-04-13, 09:46 PM
Hmmm, that looks like it could be efficient but probably unsatisfying, plus as far as I can tell you'd still be switching on and off for class abilities? Unless I'm missing something?

And am I correct in assuming the Totemist/Warblade synergy involves something to do with Girallon Arms + Tiger Claw?

Irk
2014-04-13, 09:56 PM
It's usually Girallon Arms + Sphhinx Hands bound to the hands chakra + Dragon Tail + some race with a natural bite attack (Longtooth shifter?) to get 6 attacks on a charge, Combine THAT with Tiger Claw, and you can get some nice combos going, though Combat rhythm is also viable.

Red Fel
2014-04-14, 09:23 AM
It's usually Girallon Arms + Sphhinx Hands bound to the hands chakra + Dragon Tail + some race with a natural bite attack (Longtooth shifter?) to get 6 attacks on a charge, Combine THAT with Tiger Claw, and you can get some nice combos going, though Combat rhythm is also viable.

Pretty much this. Bonus points if you have the dragonblood subtype (e.g. from Dragonborn, Spellscale or the like) and can use draconic soulmelds (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a&page=4). Kit yourself out with Sphinx Claws for Pounce, then tack on claw attacks, tail, wing buffet, bite, anything you can grab. Take your Warblade levels and grab Punishing Stance, which adds 1d6 onto every single hit, then take Stormguard Warrior and spend one round doing touch attacks, and another racking up damage. Take Multiattack too, because Multiattack.

It should look something like this. Let's say you only attack with natural weapons. Let's say you have four claws, a wing slam, a tail slap, and a bite - that's seven attacks. You use Combat Rhythm, make touch attacks with all of them, deal no damage. Thanks to low touch AC and the decreased penalty from the Multiattack feat, you hit with all of them. Next round, do it again. This time, in addition to the (inflatable, thanks to essentia) damage you deal with each of your natural weapons, Punishing Stance adds 1d6 to each attack, for a total of 7d6, average 24.5. In addition, Combat Rhythm grants you +5 damage for every successful hit - and I remind you, you made four claw attacks, a wing slam, a tail slap, and a bite. So that's seven attacks, 7*5=35 bonus damage on every damage roll this round. And since you're making seven attacks again, that's 7*35=245 bonus damage.

And you can do this every other round.

As to your original question, there is no direct synergy between ToB and MoI. The two emerged in the twilight years of 3.5, and neither has much support in other books. They do have some overlap with other systems, such as Psionics (see, for example, the Instant Clarity feat or the Soul Manifester web-based PrC), but not with each other.

That said, there are small synergies, small tricks you can do. Totemist/Warblade is a popular one, as can be Incarnate/Unarmed Swordsage.

Pluto!
2014-04-14, 10:06 AM
Neither system really needs a PrC. Incarnum's most important scaling happens based on character level, ToB progresses even with out-of-class levels.

I really like Incarnate 4/Crusader 1 followed by alternating Ironsoul Forgemaster 2/Crusader 1 for a tank. It makes a reasonably "sticky" melee character with a ton of durability and combat options and a coherent action economy.

JeminiZero
2014-04-14, 10:17 AM
That looks scary awesome. But, homebrew... hm.
Given the fairly liberal houserules regarding warlock PrCs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?341644) I hear you have, you might be able to get homebrew approved. :smallwink:

That is, so long as you don't abuse the privilege too greatly.

The homebrew in my sig can also technically pull it off.

RavynsLand
2014-04-14, 02:42 PM
True, I may be able to wiggle it in. "Adapting" another prestige class, like Sapphire Hierarch, may also work.