PDA

View Full Version : Crawling Pubs, Not Dungeons [IC Thread]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ThirdEmperor
2014-04-14, 12:17 AM
----

It's a rare day that disaster doesn't strike in the Broken City. Would be fair to say it's waiting around any corner you care to name; In the hodge-podge maze of leaning hovels and rounded clay houses, in the open bazaars filled with bustling motion and the calls of merchants desperate to unload today and be gone on the winds tomorrow -before anyone figures out they've been cheated- and in the grand marble estates, where gold and masterful art are splashed across the walls as trophies. Look, at what I have! See, that I've survived, that I have conquered!

There are people who go their whole lives peacefully, of course. No city could survive without them, the honest folk who go to work at dawn and come home battered and beaten down with exhaustion. Pebbles on the bottom of the riverbed, below the current's vicious pull. It's those who lift their heads up who see the city's more vicious face - and if they're not devoured by it, they'll soon be entirely familiar with danger.

Just the way things are around here, they'll tell you. Best not worry about it too much.

But there's still there comes, now and then, the sight that's too strange for even the most jaded city-dweller to take in stride. Something like a black dragon tearing it's way out the Alchemist's Guild chapterhouse on Rosebar Way and rampaging down the block, weeping eerie blue flames from between it's scales. Something like that gets attention, especially when that dragon manages to make itself vanish before the guards arrive. And so the wheels begin to turn.

A dung-wagon attendant becomes rich, selling the story of how he saw the dragon slip down one of the gutters (You'd never believe your eyes, squeezed itself down like it was rubber), a drunk alchemist spills something he shouldn't have to an inquisitive ear (Cost a fortune shipping in the egg, the liver alones worth more than me) and the very next day, the walls of the city are plastered with promises of fame and wealth for wouldbe dragonslayers. Guild of Coin promises five thousand for the head, but the Tanners'll give ten for the whole hide. Blacksmiths churn out spears and shields at the double, the Alchemists make back what they've lost selling 'dragonproof' fire ointment.

So it goes. Tomorrow a newly rich man will be counting his coins, and some other fellow will have gotten the sharp end of the stick. Tomorrow, there'll be some other prize to fight for.

Today though? Today is a very bad day to be a dragon.

Today, sodden refuse squishes under your boots as you trudge through the Grotto, poking at suspicious looking lumps floating along the little rivers of who-knows-what and who-wants-to-know. Today isn't a bright day for your dignity, or your nose. It might yet be a good day for your pocketbook, but all the other rats are out in force, gangs of mercenaries calling down the tunnels in coded lingo as they sweep through for any sign of the vanishing dragon. As ever, there's more who want the prize than can have it. And down here or up there, it's all the same; Do or die.

Socratov
2014-04-14, 01:37 AM
IDIOTS! Mavra rushes down the Coroner's Halls of the Necropolis' halls.
Ooh, I see a dragon, so I'll better grab a sharp and pointy stick to see if I can bring it down with my 4 friends. No that I have special talents per se, but gotta take some risk no? I know common sense has left this city for the greater part, but this is just plain stupid. Trying to jump it in an alleyway? Were they trying to rob it instead? Ugh! Well, on the bright side, the dragon has at least turned the bodies partially into charcoal anyway, so this should be quick.

Once in her own exam room she unpacks her tools, dons her surgical mask and apron and starts to work.

If anyone want to join me because you brought the bodies in, feel free to do jump in and talk back. Else I'll have an assistant to *ahem* squick.

Entaris
2014-04-14, 02:24 AM
Viktor smirks and follows Mavra, keeping pace with the woman though seeming to put forth far less effort.

Now now, dear sister... He said calmingly, The more of them that jump down the beast's throat, the more powerful it will be when WE get to it, no? He chuckled. And the more powerful the beast, the more useful for us... He finished, then began to look around the piles of melted and burned corpses for any bits not picked clean by the vulture-like peasants that bring these kinds of things in.

Socratov
2014-04-14, 02:35 AM
Mavra eyes Viktor suspiciously...

And did you think of what would happen if the Council started to outsource things regarding the dragon hm? Anyway, whith all these half burned corpses I can only hope to make them into skeletons for our esteemed clients. *sigh* Well, let's see if we can make some money today.

I'd like to know how crispy the bodies are and if I can sell them to some aspiring necromancer when treated with my corpsecrafter feat... I'd say 8 bodies, half of the money goes to the Necropolis...

Entaris
2014-04-14, 04:19 AM
Viktor chuckled again, And where would they outsource them, my dear Mavra, that We would not profit from it? He suggested, looking bemused, And if you are unpleased with the state of these bodies...heh, well, these tunnels ARE quite long...and dark. So VERY fraught with dangers... He added slyly.

Socratov
2014-04-14, 04:23 AM
You know, for someone who actually knows my family's history and who has been to my home many a time you are awfully optimistic over your control of the situation. Bad luck is always just waiting around the corner. There is a reason people down here call it Faust's Law: "when you think it can't go wrong, it horribly does". I suggest you get your head in order and visit that buddy of yours to make sure we keep on getting a steady supply of information on what's happening...

Entaris
2014-04-14, 05:07 AM
Viktor simply chuckled again at his confidant's ire, Yes, but when you business is profitting off things going horribly wrong, then you stand to succeed either way He jibed, then swung a deep bow, I shall most certainly make my contacts aware of your urgency

Socratov
2014-04-14, 05:09 AM
Good.

Now go do whatever it is you do. I need to concentrate to make something of these human sized briquettes

Entaris
2014-04-14, 06:56 AM
Oh verily, Mistress of the Dead. I shall see thee on the morrow then. Usual place, though this meeting promises to be MUCH more eventful. Viktor smirked as he turned on his heel and wandered towards the location of his favorite toady, informant and go-fer.

dextercorvia
2014-04-14, 08:58 AM
Kurtahk

I'm supposed to be negotiating for a cargo of spices right now, Kurtakh grumbled under his breath. Since selling his sector in the Grotto, every venture that the miniature dragon had tried had turned to nothing -- nothing ruinous, not yet anyway, but nothing profitiable either. And now this?

Rather than conceal his identity, as he usually did, today Kurtahk strode down the middle of the street, with his hood thrown back. If I skulk in the shadows today, some sharpshooter will spot one scale, and have an arrow in it before he even sees the color. To think, I'm hoping that some ignorant human mistakes me for lizardfolk -- the heights I've risen to.

It had been a long morning already, and the day was just starting. The would-be trader had been all over the slums, collecting information, and the younger Children. Messages had been flying back and forth among his cousins. Now, with all the younglings safe at Wentahk's Horde, he had business below to attend to. Kurtahk's ridge spines stood up as he thought his cousin's name. She had a tiny inn that served the less human clientele of Aldernac, and two perfectly symmetric rows of golden scales that ran down either side of her spine. Ahh, stop thinking about that. There is business to be done. Family business. Time enough to wallow in my sinfulness later.

He snapped out of his reverie just in time to slip into the proper tunnel. This one would take him to Grotto sector 424, and his cousin Maltahk. If I have to lead some fleshies to kill our kinsman, I might as well choose some that are not far from the trail. Maltahk, would be safe enough remaining in the Grotto, thanks to his Orcish henchmen. Cousin Mal should have a good idea which fleshies in the grotto would be able to handle this job.

Still, the order from Undercity gave him pause. Drowning ungifted throwbacks was one thing. That was an unquestionable kindness. It would be a pity to let them live out their substandard lives. But this kinsman had proven himself capable and true in his escape. Couldn't he be brought to serve the Secret Hiss? Dammit Kur, it is not our place to question. My mind is growing soft with doubt. I must harden my faith like scales beneath the sun. His ridge spines wilted again, and Kur strode the rest of the way to 424.

miinstrel
2014-04-14, 12:12 PM
Amalgam's was hotter than usual thanks to the swarming mass of people in the front room of his shop. Frenzied events like these were, in his mind, bad for business contrary to what most would think. The scrambling masses searching for their ticket out of the slums didn't seem to understand his view that quality is better than quantity. The publicity that he "wasn't able to meet orders" was unwelcome at best, when in truth he simply wouldn't lower his standards to pump out a hundred spears that would snap on a wooden shield. The fact that a few bottles inevitably broke or went missing added to the insult. Perhaps he should institute a policy of only 2-3 customers in the shop at a time and the rest can form an orderly line outside...

Despite this, some of the patrons in the shop had a genuine desire for quality dragonslaying equipment, and he offloaded a few excess blades that had been crafted during a slow season instead of to order like usual. At the end of the day, however, his shop was a mess, 9 potions were stolen, and someone ripped the bell above the door off because it “annoyed him.” Someone had even wandered upstairs to his personal space. Unthinkable. Frustrated at yet another setback and most of the day’s profits being needed for repairs and replacements, Amalgam decided to close up shop for a couple days. Instead of forging someone else’s weapons, perhaps he would try his hand at using them. He’d never seen a dragon and this one seemed particularly unique compared to what he'd read. Imagine what he could do with the hide were he to vanquish the beast, not to mention the coin!

Not entirely certain where to start, Mal collected some equipment and followed the rumors to Garbage Grotto, searching for his small, dragon-like friend Kurtahk. Surely he would have some insight into the movements of his kin. It seemed as good a place to start as any...

Entaris
2014-04-14, 04:59 PM
Seemingly untouched by the dank mess of the undercity, Viktor drifted down the myriad tunnels with a kind of instinct quite apart from the normals he had to parley with upstairs. Indeed, he'd been born far, far deeper than this, in a far far darker place, so this was nothing. A thought occurring to him, he flicked his fingers through a series of simple runes in the air in front of his face, picturing the visage of one of his favored shopkeepers.

Amalgam, my friend. I may have need of more than simple items today...

Stormageddon
2014-04-14, 06:02 PM
Dragons! Jade hated dragons. Loathsome reptiles that thought they were better then everybody else. Jade thought as she followed not quite in the same hurry to met this dragon. Today Jade had decided to wear her favorite disguise a particularly attractive red head with green eyes. This body called herself "Rose." Jade as Rose has been following and listening to the conversation. This side job is going to be a killer.... Hopefully not literately so.

So anyone have any thoughts on what we are going to do when we actually meet up with this dragon. I for one would not like to end up like those poor bastards in the river.

Dorian Gray
2014-04-15, 09:43 PM
"You know," Llarimar remarked to his assistant, "I have come to the conclusion that all of humanity is fundamentally stupid."

Llarimar's deft hands stab the needle into the man's chest, quickly binding up the loose flap of skin. "My theory is that it comes from our intelligence. I mean, you don't see a dog running off and attacking a bear, but this man here," Llarimar continues stitching with one hand as he waves with his other, "Goes off and attacks a gods-damned dragon! Unarmed! Pass me some antiseptic, will you? Nasty acid burns.

As the priest begins wrapping yarrow-soaked bandages around the unconscious man's body, he barely pauses in his rant. "But this stupid oaf here, I believe, is still far smarter than the "genius" alchemist who had the brilliant idea to bring a dragon egg into the city! I swear, if I get my hands on that man, he'll fear for his hide!"

Tying the bandages together in a simple knot, Llarimar stands up. "Come on, I heard there was a fight near the undertown. You coming?"

A bit less than an hour later, and with no assistant, an annoyed Llarimar stands in front of a massive sewage grate. They want to chase a dragon down there? Well, I'll clean up afterwards.

Slowly, the priest pops the grate open and climbs down, calling out, "Healer coming through!"

miinstrel
2014-04-15, 11:49 PM
Amalgam, Garbage Grotto

Mal walks through the dingy streets of the Grotto avoiding the puddles, not for fear of water, but what lurks within some of them. It took ages to repair that melted foot. Quite an awkward position to work in too. He frequently wondered what scent this part of town carried. That, above all else, he wished he could emulate as it seemed an intriguing way to interact with his surroundings.

He continued on to Sector 424, Kurtahk's old grounds. That seemed a logical place to find him. As he walked, one of the grates leading down from the surface popped open ahead, and out crawled a thin human dressed in clerical garments.

"Good day, brother Llarimar. Please watch your step. The puddles are sizzling today with the run-off from the alchemist's guild. Or perhaps dragon bile. Either way, your feet are much more difficult to replace." His voice is deep and mechanical with a halting speech pattern that has become far more natural as he's aged but is still a bit off. "I calculate a seventy-eight percent chance you are here to repair bodily damage caused by the dragon. Is that correct?"

Socratov
2014-04-16, 05:11 AM
Mavra; Croner's Halls, Necropolis

So... That's four lumps of charcoal, roasted and ready. Still their skeletons were intact enough to be modified.

RODNEY!

where is that wretched creature

RODNEY!

Rodney scuffles in

Rodney, here are the files on the bodies, and get the 'clients' to our *ahem* 'client'.

Now, if you don't mind taking care of the logistics I'll be going out for today. Oh, and if victor is coming to see me tell him I'm at home.

Mavra cleans her tools and stacks them away in her robe. She takes off her mask and apron and steps outside. Once outside she moves to her home for a nice bath and some tea.

dextercorvia
2014-04-16, 09:12 AM
Kurtahk, Grotto

Kurtahk was doing his best to remain a safe distance behind the large figure up ahead. The creature's gait was erratic, and Kurtahk had no intention of interfering with a drunk dragon hunter. He stopped completely when another creature joined the first, and then that voice. There was no mistaking that voice. The scales on his forelimbs rustled as Kurtahk cracked a smile. Looking for one Mal, I find another. The old warforged shopkeeper was one of the few non-Children that Kurtahk was honestly fond of. When he had cause to visit, they often talked for hours -- talked about what the city used to be like, and the idiosyncrasies of the fleshies. (Kurtahk knew deep down, that to Mal, he was a fleshy as well, but humans and demihumans had taken umbrage at being called skinbags, so he had long ago taken up the Warforged manner of speech.)

Kurtahk also recognized the name of the newcomer. Llarimar was well known in the slums for his willingness to heal anyone. The Children had benefited from his kindness on more than one occasion. The family did not entirely trust that his motivations were quite as pure as he claimed, But sometimes the alternative to involving an outsider is worse. I suppose this is one of those occasions as well.

Mal! What are you doing down here? Are you looking for an excuse for another new foot? He hurried to catch up with the pair.

We are actually on the sewer levels, or in the Grotto. The Undercity is much farther down.

miinstrel
2014-04-16, 12:14 PM
Oops, I misspoke. Fixed, thanks!

Mal turns clunkily, his head moving to the edge of its range of motion followed by his body, and then straightening out as Kurtahk comes into view. He could see out of any of the many crystals protruding from his body but had learned to face "front" before speaking to someone to avoid unnecessary insult.

"Greetings Kurtahk. It is awkward to forge new feet, so I do not seek an excuse. I do seek you, however. Being part dragon, you are familiar with where the alchemists' dragon may be hiding, correct? It has cost me a day's work and I shall acquire the reward as reparations." He turns back to Llarimar in the same head-body-straighten motion as before. "Brother Llarimar, perhaps you should accompany us as the casualties will be more concentrated near the dragon's location. This benefits all." The massive artificial man waits for a response, swaying ever so slightly back and forth attempting to look natural. If you watch him long enough you notice a pattern of movement repeat itself.

Dorian Gray
2014-04-16, 02:53 PM
Llarimar, Grotto
Llarimar turns to look at the newcomer, leaning on his staff. "Hello... Kurak, was it? Always a pleasure to meet one of your kind. How you survive in this ghetto, I have no idea, but you truly are remarkable."

Upon hearing the mechanical man's words, Llarimar's ever judgemental mouth slides into a frown. "I am here to heal and to protect, not to cause harm. I am no dragon hunter. But I will come with you, if only to protect you from yourself."

Slowly, Llarimar begins picking his way down the tunnel, using his staff to scan the ground in front of himself. Craning his eyes to peer through the dark, Llarimar coughs. "I don't suppose either of you two has a torch?"

miinstrel
2014-04-16, 03:12 PM
"I simply meant mending people brings you pleasure, and there are many nearer the dragon that need mending. You will be happy there."

Mal peruses the ground around them, collects a stick, wraps it in some ragged cloth and dips it in one of the more dubious puddles near them. Grating his arms against each other sends a small shower of sparks upon the makeshift torch and sets it ablaze as he hands it to Llarimar.

"Do not step in that puddle," he says, pointing his mace at the bluish liquid.

I'm using an actual torch, just fluffing it for fun.

dextercorvia
2014-04-16, 03:42 PM
Kurtahk, Grotto

It is Kurtahk, healer. I'm not sure exactly what your meaning is. I survive by not dying, the same as anyone. Still, I welcome your presence. Not-dying near a dragon, even a young one is not always easily managed.

The kobold shaded his eyes as Amalgam lit the makeshift torch. The light did not bother him as some of his more distant cousins, but the transition was something he did not relish.

It is not quite so simple as you say, but I do have some information on where the dragon went. We need to pass through the Grotto and head east. There are some tunnels there that head below. Since it could not escape above, it most likely went deeper.Kurtahk gestured at his scales. The sooner this dragon is gone, the better it will be for me. Some people have a tendency to jump to conclusions.

dextercorvia
2014-04-17, 07:52 AM
Kurtahk, Grotto Section - 428

They were in the Grotto now. Occasionally Kurtahk would flash his Section 424 badge, as they winded their way to his cousin. Fewer than usual were picking today The whole city has gone mad. Why does a picker think he can become a slayer? he whispered to his companions. Section 428 was a different story. 428 was managed by some group of necromancers, it was almost impossible to say which one. But, it was managed quite efficiently. There were dozens of mindless undead combing through the refuse. If you watched carefully, you could see this skeleton only picked up small metal objects, this one only wood, etc. There were designated receptacles for each skeleton. When one receptacle was 3/4 full, a team of four zombies would pick it up and cart it through a portal. Organic waste was even gathered for composting.

Kurtahk gave that section boundary a wide berth. 428 didn't need guards. Anything that wandered in was quickly processed into its component parts. Except for a small clearly marked office area near the portal along the south boundary, everything within the section was fair game.

Socratov
2014-04-17, 08:39 AM
Mavra, Mavra's House
So I need this dragon, or rather the Ignum needs it, I just want it for a pet.

Mavra paces around

Rumours say it's gone into the Grotto now. As soon as Viktor is back...

Having no luck getting in touch with his contact, Viktor quickly bored of wandering around the dirt tunnels and headed back towards the direction of his confidant once more, hoping she had cooled off a bit.

Coming!

Mavra opens the door of her family home.

Ah, Viktor! Just the man I wanted to see. Listen, whatever you say, I think it's high time to take matters into our own hands. We Ignum Infernum . Luckily I know where the Necropolis' exit into the Grotto is.

Why are you looking at me funny? I know I was a bit cranky this morning, but how would you feel to be up way too early in the morning to review some human briquettes? I'm done now and ready to pick up my pet. Coming? The game, Viktor, is on!

Mavra gathers her belongings and walks out of the door towards Grotto Section 428, better known as the garbage section of the Necropolis.

Stormageddon
2014-04-17, 02:01 PM
Jade

The biggest man that Jade had been following turned to face Jade. The five others in the party turn with looks of amusement on their faces indicating that as group they thought this question was some how funny.

We don't need a plan Rose. We find it. We poke it with out weapons. It dies. We get paid. That's the plan.

Jade only works with the finnest of dragon chew toy.

Yes but it can't be that simple. I mean dragon's are smart they aren't just going to sit there while to jab it with weapons.

The big man starts looking annoyed.

Listen its not going to have a choice. We kill things; that's what we do.

Jade sighs being a mercenary tended not to bring one in contact of intelectual kind. If there was a plan to be had it would be up to Jade to come up with it; that is if they would listen to her.

The Grotto was a wonderfully interesting place. Jade stops for a moment to look at a zombie work crew trying to scope the bodies out of the river. No doubt to bring back to their masters for reanimation.

The contracts held by some in the grotto lasted beyond the normal life span of an average human. The Grotto's master didn't let a little thing like death get in the way of a contracts being fulfilled. What was more interesting was that people would actually agree to such terms, but times were tough all around. People tended to do get despert. Some would do anything for a gold coin....

Jade let's out a short laugh!

Just like her. Why else would she be on this fool mission.

The realization brings Jade out of deep thoughts. She looks around.

No sign of her assocaites on the this mission!

Why does this always happen to her!?

Entaris
2014-04-18, 05:52 AM
Viktor grinned as Mav explained herself, now the typical temperament he had come to admire. He stepped out of the way as she took the lead, hand resting lightly on the pommel of his Quickblade, and casually followed after.

Ah, yes, about that. Would it be possible for one of my...allies to take up residence inside the empty husk of your pet once we have it? Would fetch fine favor for such a gift I believe...and I have a plan to get us into a most lucrative position...

Socratov
2014-04-18, 05:59 AM
Mavra, Necropolis Quarter, on their way to the Grotto

Well, I wouldn't mind, I mean as long as I get my pet and it knows how to behave like one I'm fine really... Now hurry up!

Necropolis Garbage Disposal Unit

Now we just need to move through the office and we're in the Grotto.

dextercorvia
2014-04-20, 09:00 PM
Kurtahk, Grotto Section 428 1/2

The skeleton crew was mesmerizing, but unusual activity at the portal broke Kurtahk's concentration. He looked around to make sure he had not been left behind, and noticed a girl not far away that didn't look like any picker he had ever seen. Young lady, are you lost? The Grotto is not safe for those who are not used to its ways. Do be careful. My companions and I have other business to attend to, but I could point the nearest exit to you. I'll escort you there for a small price.

Socratov
2014-04-21, 04:20 AM
Mavra, Grotto section 428 1/2
As Mavra walk out of the booth into the Grotto she sees Kurtahk approach her. She eyes him suspiciously, noting his scales but with the dragon bits absent.

Hm... I see you have the scales of one, without actually being one. I take it you're looking for the dragon like the rest of this city?

Dorian Gray
2014-04-21, 05:14 PM
Llarimar, Grotto section 428 1/2
Llarimar lets out a massive laugh, coughing and bending over. "Yes, by all means escort this helpless young lady from the dangerous depths of the grotto."

Turning to Marva, Llarimar bows slightly, still wheezing a bit. "Yeah, they're after the dragon. I intend to clean up after their mess- I assume you're the same sort of suicidal?"

Socratov
2014-04-21, 05:23 PM
Mavra, Grotto Section 428 1/2

Llarimar! Fancy seeing you here. Oh, and I'm never suicidal, I'm just in the market for a new pet. You know, one with wings the lovely talent of breathing fire... Besides, I may need to chastise it burning everyone to charcoal Bricks. Quite annoying I tell you, I won't even have bodies for your bumbling fools to practise on so they can become half competent surgeons. Better then nothing at any rate.

Anyway, I see you have found some volunteers for lunch?

miinstrel
2014-04-21, 05:41 PM
"My body is merely an exoskeleton and cannot process your mammalian and vegetable sustenance, but I am happy to converse while you dine. Perhaps we should attend to the matter of the dragon first and celebrate with a feast afterwards," Mal suggests, ignorant of the joke.

dextercorvia
2014-04-21, 09:27 PM
Kurtahk, Grotto

Oh, of course you are here to hunt the dragon. Hmm, I don't suppose it would hurt anything to include you and your friend. Kurtahk's voice drops to a whisper. I have a bit of a tail up on those other hunters out there. Some friends of mine spotted it and passed word along to me.

Stormageddon
2014-04-23, 11:51 PM
Jade

Jade had to ponder some things: first where did her moron companions go. Second is the nature of this dragon. What kind of dragon just wanders into a huge city like this. From everything that she knew about dragons they tended to avoid large civilizations like the plague. Even with their supernatural abilities there was always the possibility of death from some hero who gets uppity and decides to put a sword through them. Maybe the dragon was depress. Didn't see the point in living anymore..... NO No that's ridiculous! Who's ever heard of a depressed dragon! Maybe the dragon was of below normal intelligence..... But then again that seemed unlikely as well.....

Ouch! Jade stumbles as she trips over something that she swore wasn't there a minute ago.

She looks to see what the object was.... See the small scaly creature.

DRAGON!!!..... Wait you're not a dragon.

dextercorvia
2014-04-24, 08:39 AM
Kurtahk, Grotto

Ouch! When he heard the word "Dragon" spoken in surprise, Kurtahk feared the worst. He throws himself back a step and raises a hand. Jade's self correction comes as a welcome relief to the now disheveled dragon-kin.

No, I am not the dragon you are looking for. I'm surprised to see anyone hunting a dragon alone. He looks around at his own companions for emphasis. Another young female? These fleshies seem quick to leap from the nest. Still, I misspoke before. I should speak more carefully this time

I was just thinking that having one more in this party would not be such a bad thing. Perhaps you would join us and lend us your expertise? I was just about to tell them that a trustworthy informant saw the Dragon east of here, heading down into some tunnels I am familiar with. If we hurry, hopefully we can catch it goes too deep into dangerous areas.

Stormageddon
2014-04-24, 06:24 PM
Jade quickly forgot whatever it was that she was thinking about.

Sure that seems combining forces would be the best course of action..... Split the reward evenly? Why of course that's what we'll do. Now lets make haste others are pursuit of our prize!.... My name is Rose by the way....

miinstrel
2014-04-24, 06:37 PM
"Well met, Rose Bytheway; I am Amalgam. I believe we have now reached the optimal number of participants for the dragon hunting reward-risk ratio. I advise we not accept further associates."

dextercorvia
2014-04-24, 08:42 PM
Kurtahk, Tunnels

Noted, my old friend. If you are all quite ready, the creature went this way.

Kurtahk leads the small group the rest of the way through the grotto and into the tunnel system.

Socratov
2014-04-24, 09:00 PM
Mavra, Grotto section 428 1/2

Hold on, if we are going to work together to get this dragon we might want to know each other's skills first so we can actually come up with a strategy. Me, I have some talents with this:

I fire an Eldritch Blast into an empty section of floor, about 30' in front of me...

Anyone else with particular talents?

dextercorvia
2014-04-25, 09:39 AM
Kurtahk

The kobold shrugs and keeps walking. I can see in the dark. Also, if you ever need a deal on a ten foot pole, I know a guy.

Dorian Gray
2014-04-26, 12:18 AM
"I'm reasonably sure I can save anyone who you hit with that, but I'd still prefer you didn't shoot into the dark. The Grotto isn't completely uninhabited, after all."
Llarimar lifts his torch higher and continues walking behind Kurtahk.

Entaris
2014-04-26, 02:34 AM
Viktor merely smirked and shrugged as they were each asked to "contribute" a report of their unique powers, if any.

Stormageddon
2014-04-26, 10:04 AM
Some people can't help but show off.

I've got many talents. Some I'd rather not waste on a display of power.

miinstrel
2014-04-26, 12:14 PM
"I possess no similar talents to yours," Mal says neutrally. "I am a craftsman, but I believe my crossbow will seek out the dragon's heart once I tinker with it a bit."

Socratov
2014-04-27, 05:02 PM
Mavra

Oh, ease up Llarimar, it's only an empty section of floor.

miinstrel
2014-04-29, 04:13 PM
"Does anyone else know the approximate size of this dragon? Rumors circulating on the surface calculate its mass to be larger than a breadbox and smaller than a house. This is far too large of a variable for us to accurately assess its capabilities."

"Dragons become much more potent as they age. Their scales harden, their breath becomes more volatile, and the eldest even develop the ability to not only cast simple spells but to resist them." The last bit is said in a monotone cadence as though it were taken directly out of an educational text on the subject.

dextercorvia
2014-04-29, 09:53 PM
That's not what I heard. I heard that it was bigger than a kobold, and smaller than an airship. Kurtahk gives Mal an exaggerated grin, hoping his old friend would catch the humor.

Dorian Gray
2014-04-30, 04:11 PM
Llarimar, completely missing the joke, shrugs in indifference. "Well, the dragon is fairly young- just hatched, if what I heard is correct. Besides, the DM wouldn't send us against a creature much stronger than us."

Socratov
2014-04-30, 06:21 PM
Mavra

Well, however big it is, let's find it.

Kurtahk, You said you had a buddy who knows where the dragon might be? It might be fun to loiter around here talking about divine beings, but that doesn't bring us any closer to the dragon. So, let's move!

dextercorvia
2014-04-30, 07:44 PM
Kurtahk

Yes, yes. It entered the sewers just east of here. If it didn't end up in the Grotto, then it must have gone... Kurtahk lowered his voice and glanced furtively around, Further down.

Entaris
2014-05-07, 03:50 PM
Viktor shook off the oncoming grimace from talk of on-high powers at the mention that the dragon may have descended deeper into the Mountain. Well, that should make things interesting, shouldn't it?

dextercorvia
2014-05-11, 11:21 PM
The Grotto's Edge

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o626/dextercorvia/Pubs/Thegrottosedge.jpg (http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/dextercorvia/media/Pubs/Thegrottosedge.jpg.html)

You make your way through the almost abandoned Grotto. Kurtahk is just pointing out the passage you will take when there is a commotion behind you. Turning, you see two of the toughest looking orcs you have ever seen moving toward you at a trot. KURR - TAAHK, one of them bellows.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o626/dextercorvia/Pubs/ArtTest_RacesMF.jpg (http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/dextercorvia/media/Pubs/ArtTest_RacesMF.jpg.html)

The kobold raises a hand. I know them. They are my cousin Maltahk's guards. His claws click on the stone as he moves to meet them. You see then that a smaller figure is also coming. It had previously been obscured by the bulk of the orcish bodyguards. Presumably, this is Maltahk, though no introductions are made. The two kobolds put their heads together and hiss quietly.

Change....plans.... Father....calling...Children....
and then the other hisses louder, in common, "Leave the skinbags!"

Kurtahk returns to you, and bids you farewell. I have something of a family emergency. Maltahk and I need to see to some other cousins of ours. I'm terribly sorry. I know I promised to help. The best I can offer now is directions. You will take that corridor, and when it forks, keep to the right. Be wary of the lichen, but when you have passed it, you will find the entrance to further down.

You know that the Children are a loose organization of Dragonwrought kobolds that operate in the poorer districts of the city. They all call each other cousin and are part of some obscure dragon worshiping cult.

You know that many of the children have names ending in Tahk, and that they occasionally refer to themselves as the Children of Tahk'liss. They also have a connection to the Undercity, which you have a passing understanding of.

The fact that Kurtahk, and Maltahk have similar names reminds you that you heard that there is some cult leader in or near the city somewhere named Tahk'liss. You have heard that their religion involves dragon worship, selective breeding, and culling those deemed unworthy. You suspect that Kurtahk is a member of this religion based on his interest in the dragon, his heritage, and name.

miinstrel
2014-05-12, 12:24 AM
"I wish your kin well. Farewell Kurtahk," Mal replies.

"With his departure I believe we would be best suited with another companion though there remains a likely chance we will emerge victorious with only minimal loss of body parts. Shall we continue?" He waits for an answer before continuing forward per Kurtahk's directions.

Entaris
2014-05-12, 01:52 AM
Viktor's mouth twitches slightly at the exchange, Skinbags, eh? He mutters to himself, bending a knee a moment to let his tiny weasel familiar, Loka, slip out onto the floor of the sewer, Follow them little one, but stay hidden.

Socratov
2014-05-12, 02:48 AM
Listen (I speak Draconic): [roll0] - well, I couldn't catch any of that...

Knowledge(Religion: [roll1] +5=22

So sad to see you leave Kurtahk, but I understand giving priority to family matters. Farewell!

Llarimar, I think that as long as we are careful, that we could at least press on, we just should keep our eyes peeled. I do think we have some trouble ahead in either finding the dragon or killing it.

Mavra notices Viktor kneeling and sees a furry flash. well, well, well

*Also, Viktor, let's find ourselves a scaly friend out of these shadows. We lost one dragon, let's get the other. So, let's shuffle on!

it seems our scaly friends are part of a cult that worships dragons. I think sending your familiar after them is quite risky. I expect traps and misdirection ahead since we are hunting the dragon they want to worship. We'd better be careful of kobolds jumping us from the shadows.

Dorian Gray
2014-05-12, 03:02 PM
Knowledge (religion): [roll0]
Llarimar waves goodbye. "Let me know if you need me!"

Holding the torch higher, Llarimar turns, setting off down the corridor Kurtahk pointed out.

Entaris
2014-05-12, 04:34 PM
Viktor flashes Mavra a sly grin, Of course. And if we find our quarry more prepared than we, feel free to scurry away. I will guard your retreat. He jested.

He is small and will spook at the Dragon and run. We should break off once we get near.

Socratov
2014-05-12, 05:24 PM
Well, you always did love the sight of my backside, made you full of life and brimming with energy.. Though sometimes put a stick up your butt...

Mavra answers Viktor with a wickedgrin of her own wiggeling eyebrows to the rest...

So, yeah, if it all goes tits upwards we should indeed leave, however, I don't think it would be bad to take these guys with us. Llarimar is as straight as the stick up his behind, but easily manipulated...

Entaris
2014-05-12, 05:37 PM
Viktor shrugged and chuckled.

Very well. I still dont trust these God-ites as far as I could throw them. First chance we get, I say give them to the Dragon while I run it through from behind. After this, I'm going to need some tea...

Socratov
2014-05-12, 05:44 PM
Well, don't be so stiff, get a move on, time is money!

Don't, that's bad for business. I sell him a lot of dead bodies and he often hires me to teach snotnoses stitching.

Entaris
2014-05-12, 07:39 PM
Viktor nods.

Indeed.

dextercorvia
2014-05-12, 09:52 PM
Passing Out

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o626/dextercorvia/Pubs/LeavingtheGrotto.jpg (http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/dextercorvia/media/Pubs/LeavingtheGrotto.jpg.html)

Farewells bid, knowing looks passed, Kurtahk heads what can only be north, so long as he was truly leading you east. He and Maltahk sound as though they are arguing, though specific words are impossible to make out of the growling from this distance. Llarimar takes the lead and you quickly find the passage mentioned.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o626/dextercorvia/Pubs/OutsideGrotto1.jpg (http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/dextercorvia/media/Pubs/OutsideGrotto1.jpg.html)

You walk through a wide well cared for tunnel. Several smaller passages branch off, heading back toward the surface. None seem to be the one described. Gradually, over the course of half a mile the passage descends and narrows. The last catwalk comes to a dead end, and you can't help but wade through the muck if you wish to procede.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o626/dextercorvia/Pubs/OutsideGrotto2.jpg (http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/dextercorvia/media/Pubs/OutsideGrotto2.jpg.html)

In addition to any conversation you want to make, I'd like marching order, spacing, spot and listen checks. You can decide the first two IC or OOC -- your choice.

miinstrel
2014-05-13, 11:05 AM
"I shall lead the way. Should the sewage deepen it will not harm me unless more of that alchemical gunk is mixed in." Amalgam wades into the filth, his morningstar and shield in hand.

Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Search: [roll2]

Socratov
2014-05-13, 11:53 AM
Lead the way!

spot: [roll1]
Search: [roll2]

yeah, not really the most perceptive person around here...

Blind as a bat, but at least I can find just about anything

Stormageddon
2014-05-13, 01:22 PM
Lost in thought Jade follows the group almost on autopilot thinking of the class differential between orcs and kobolds and how such a relationship was formed. The cold water hit Jade like a knife shaking her out of her head.

Oh hey! We're in a sewer. You know you live your whole life in a city, but you never see the insides of one of the major resources of the city. Whoa this is really fasinating!... and kinda smelly. Maybe the smell subtracts from the popularity of the sewer system tourists. Maybe their could be niche group of people that would really like to see the sewers. Profit might be made by some enterprising folk.

Jade looks around for anyone liking what she's throwing out there.

.... Hey where did the Kobold go?

Preceptions

Listen [roll0]
Spot [roll1]
Search [roll2]

Socratov
2014-05-13, 02:54 PM
Jade, please pay attention, we're walking around blind enough as it is. The kobold had to leave because of family business, whatever he means by that.

Stormageddon
2014-05-13, 06:23 PM
Jade Sighs and looks some what dejected that her grand idea of sewer tourism was so easily swept aside.

Perhaps the Kobold caught wind of sewer tours and ran off to steal my fabulous idea! We must hurry! I'll take second place in line.

dextercorvia
2014-05-13, 11:09 PM
A Fork in the Tunnel

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o626/dextercorvia/Aforkinthetunnel.jpg (http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/dextercorvia/media/Aforkinthetunnel.jpg.html)

After a couple hundred yards, you spot what appears to be the fork that Kurtahk told you about. It is the first one that opens in the direction you are traveling. As you near, you realize that not all of the flickering light is coming from your torches. Just then, Mal and Jade spot lights approaching, and their possessors have likely spotted yours as well.

You see a group of 4 warforged coming down the left hand fork. It's hard to tell at this distance, but they appear kitted out more like adventurers than soldiers.

I made guesses on placement based on the discussion so far. If you don't like where I put you, just state in the OOC portion of your next post where you are starting. If you want a groovy icon like Mal and Jade, just upload a picture to your character sheet. For the purposes of tactical movement (if it should come to that), all squares are treated like difficult terrain due to the ankle deep "water". That means double movement costs, no charging, and no 5' steps. If you must move into a space with a wall through about half of it (E6 for example) it will cost quadruple movement. (E7 is treated as mostly there, so a normal square, but B6 is mostly gone, so impassable.)

I'm not calling for initiative yet, but if you instigate some offensive action, go ahead and roll it in your post.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o626/dextercorvia/SewerFork.png (http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/dextercorvia/media/SewerFork.png.html)

Entaris
2014-05-14, 03:13 AM
Viktor follows quietly, eventually calling his familiar back into his sleeves quickly moments before sliding his hand gently to the hilt of his quickblade in case the lights ended up unfriendly, other hand clawing into the shapes needed to defend himself if need be through magic.

Socratov
2014-05-14, 06:19 AM
Mavra hugs the wall trying to hide a bit in the shadows. She indicates her companions to be silent.

move to F13, hugging the wall.
Move silent: [roll0]
Hide:[roll1] (+situational modifier?)

miinstrel
2014-05-14, 09:31 AM
Feeling completely comfortable with his brethren, Amalgam steps forward and speaks, lowering his weapon and shield from their defensive posiiton as he does so. "Greetings, brothers. I had thought I was one of the only ones in the city. A pleasant error; I welcome your company. Are you in these tunnels for the alchemist's dragon as well?"

Stormageddon
2014-05-14, 01:17 PM
Jade who's experience had taught that meeting unknown strangers in dark tunnels had at best... Mixed results, but at the sametime ever hopeful that these people might be sewer tourists. Jade tightens her grip on her bow, and starts mentally rehursing a spell that she had learned just this morning. Her insticts told her to hide, but she had surely been spoted already.

Not fully understanding the racial bounds of the races having grown up not knowing any other changelings besides her immedaite family Jade stood back and waiting to see what will happen.

Dorian Gray
2014-05-14, 06:24 PM
Llarimar's face brightens. Warforged tended to be consistent- he could probably talk them into helping. Of course, just to be safe...
Activating the calming emotions aura: DC 18. Also, I have a DC 17 aura of protection. Everybody has to make those saves to attack and stuff.

dextercorvia
2014-05-15, 12:33 PM
A Fork in the Tunnel

The party advances toward you a little, so that overlapping the pools of light cast by your torch, and their items. You see now that two of the warforged (W1 and W3) wear necklaces that emit light like a torch. The two in front carry bows. The leader speaks Brother, why do you serve these fleshies? Join us and we will experience a mutual increase in the chance of a successful outcome.

One behind the leader whispers.

If we take their magic items, our chance of success will be even greater

The leader holds up a hand to stop his subordinate.

Everyone can now see the Warforged, so I'm mentally rearranging a few posts until after this point. Mavra was previously out of line of sight, but she has/had no concealment and therefore cannot hide.

Viktor, Jade, and Mavra feel pretty calm right now, you may not take any offensive actions. Mal and Llarimar may act normally.

The necklace insignia is below, you may try various skill checks to see if your character knows what it means. Do that OoC if you don't mind.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o626/dextercorvia/Pubs/CLL.png (http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/dextercorvia/media/Pubs/CLL.png.html)

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o626/dextercorvia/Pubs/SewerFork.png (http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/dextercorvia/media/Pubs/SewerFork.png.html)

miinstrel
2014-05-15, 12:56 PM
"We serve each other. The optimal success to reward ratio is achieved with 6 capable combatants. I'm afraid that would exclude two of our combined party. While not ideal, our current group will sustain an acceptable amount of loss. A merger would be inadvisable unless one of you wanted to join us. Are you amenable to that resolution?" As they speak, the non-cryforged notice an odd lack of body language, the speakers remaining uncomfortably still.

I may alter this a bit depending on what I learn from the OOC rolls.

Stormageddon
2014-05-15, 06:10 PM
Jade listens to the conversation with great attention. Fascinating how the Warforged spoke. Through calm emotion she hears the subordinate speak of robbery. She analyzes the statement and then comes to a calm conclusion that these machines probably shouldn't be trusted.

I think the one in the back plans on robbing us of our worldly possessions. Probably not the most pleasant of all experiences for us.

Dorian Gray
2014-05-15, 07:57 PM
Llarimar sighs. Softly, he whispers, "*******s. Well, we should try to avoid conflict- it'll be difficult to subdue them but I don't think it'll be impossible."

Socratov
2014-05-16, 04:10 AM
Mavra turns to Jade

Well, I know that symbol. It's about a religion for Warforged who believe they are being enslaved by the humanoid races. They hate any humanoid and they think the only way they will be free of enslavement is to kill all humanoids. Very practical, not so good for us. Amalgam, I don't think they are very much willing to join our hunting party. Well, I'd say we get ready for whatever they are willing to dish out. Can anybody see the gear they are carrying? So we might know what we are up against.

dextercorvia
2014-05-16, 09:57 PM
A Fork in the Tunnel

I'm sorry to hear that you are still in thrall to these fleshies. Brothers, it is our duty to liberate our cousin. Attack!

Enemies [roll0]

Go ahead and roll initiative. If you roll higher than a 2 post your actions.

Entaris
2014-05-17, 01:07 AM
Viktor's usual demeanor crumbles into a snarl as Mavra speaks, grip tightening on his quickblade as his other hand sparks with energy, Prieeest. He growls out, obviously a primal, deep-seated hatred brewing in his gut.

[roll]1d20+2

Entaris
2014-05-17, 01:11 AM
{{Well, crap. Let's try that again.

[roll0]

Viktor pulls his quickblade and his free hand begins to flash through the forms of the Summon Monster spell to bring forth a fiendish monstrous centipede.

Socratov
2014-05-17, 02:44 AM
well, my default action is to stay out of reach of the enemy and l4s0r p3wp3w their faces off (if mortal, apply mortalbane feat)

Also, for initiative (should it apply): [roll0]

Mavra gets shaken out of the calming aura as if she awakes from a nap. Her face contorts into a grimace settling into a devious grin.

You're gonna be sorry you said that tin cans!

Mavra climbs up the wall with Spiderwalk so she has a clear shot and

same square, just moved to the ceiling, or as far as 20' will allow me)

Stormageddon
2014-05-18, 11:05 AM
Jade Quickly reaches into one of pockets and pulls out a strange stone with a pin sticking out it. Jade pulls out the pin and throws it at the back of the line.

Thunder stone. To hit the square that W3 is in AC 5 [roll0] Should effect W3, W4, and maybe W2 Fot save DC 15 or they become deaf.

miinstrel
2014-05-19, 12:36 PM
Mal, a bit offended at their insensitivity to the less durable exomaterial of his companions, focuses his energy into his shield. It reverberates for a moment and surrounds itself with a larger disk of light as he steps forward and raises his mace. He strides forward toward the nearest of the machines, drawing the metallic club back as he prepares to strike it.

Initiative: [roll0]

Standard: Cast "Shield of Faith" infusion (+2 deflection AC. Total = 17.).
Move: Move to E8.

Buffs in Effect:
Shield of Faith (40/40)

Dorian Gray
2014-05-19, 02:56 PM
Llarimar strides forward, planting himself behind Mal (E 10). He holds his quarterstaff in one hand and leaves his other hand free, ready to cast.
Init: [roll0]
Ready an action to cast Luminous Armor if I am attacked- but they need to beat a DC 17 will save to do so (no bonus for non-humanoid).

dextercorvia
2014-05-19, 10:16 PM
A Fork in the Tunnel, Round 1

Mace incants in an flat voice. Bolstered by the spell, the other warforged begin their attack.

The Leader puts his bow away, and draws his glaive. He takes a swing at Mal with his armored leg.

Greedy looses an arrow straight at the slip of a girl that deafened him. He then draws a rapier, readies himself for his next attack.

??? raises a hand and blasts at Mal with a bolt of magical fire.

The spell was Bless

Leader: 5' step to D8, Move put away bow, Free Draw Glaive, Standard Attack with slam
Llarimar casts his spell.
Fort Save [roll0] (The DC should only be 13 -- 10+half level+Con Mod, and it is a Fort Save, not a Will Save)
Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Crit Confirm if necessary [roll3]
Extra Damage [roll4]

Hits, will roll new damage OOC

Greedy: 5' step to D5, Standard Attack, Move Draw Rapier
Attack [roll5] (Jade gets +4 AC due to soft cover)
Damage [roll6]
Crit Confirm if necessary [roll7]
Extra Damage [roll8]

Hits Jade for 4 damage.

???: Standard Attack Eldritch Blast
Ranged Touch Attack [roll9]
Damage [roll10]
Crit Confirm if necessary [roll11]
Extra Damage [roll12]

Misses since he is attacking into melee, and Mal has soft cover.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o626/dextercorvia/SewerFork-1.png (http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/dextercorvia/media/SewerFork-1.png.html)

miinstrel
2014-05-20, 01:46 AM
As the leading warforged steps through the thick sewage, Mal brings his mace to bear hoping to strike him while he's off balance.

You said earlier the water was rough terrain which means no 5' steps. Leader would have to spend 10 feet of movement to step where he did (and also would have had to drop his bow instead of putting it away).
Same for Greedy. I presume he doesn't have a BAB of +1 since you mentioned drawing a weapon as a move action.

AoO on leader: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Crit Conf: [roll2]
Crit Dmg: [roll3]

Socratov
2014-05-20, 03:18 AM
Mavra pivots on the ceiling aiming for the leader. With arcane energy crackling on her fingertips she makes a sigil. With a final thrust a ray of arcane energy shoots towards the leader.

5' step on the ceiling (walking on the ceiling :smallamused:),

Eldritch Blast: [roll0] to touch
damage [roll1]

possible crit: [roll2] to touch AC
Possible crit dmg: [roll3]

edit: doen't mater, critical miss...

the beam misses the leader and strikes a section of floor.

Stormageddon
2014-05-20, 06:02 PM
Jade screams in pain as the arrow lands home in her shoulder.... Must concentrate! What do I know about these warforged creatures. Jade accesses her mind vault and find a section dedicated to warforged. Apparently the joints are the weak point.

Jade takes aim and fires at the leader.

Attack [roll0] -4 for firing into combat, and +2 for knowledge devotion, +1 point for point blank shot
Damage [roll1]

Confirm Crit (Just in case)
Attack [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

dextercorvia
2014-05-20, 08:48 PM
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o626/dextercorvia/SewerFork-2.png (http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/dextercorvia/media/SewerFork-2.png.html)

Dorian Gray
2014-05-20, 10:08 PM
Llarimar sighs. "Sissy."

With a touch, Jade's wounds disappear. "I would appreciate it if you would avoid getting hurt, if you're going to drag me into more fighting."

Cure Minor Wounds for 4 health. Isn't it funny how that worked out?

miinstrel
2014-05-21, 11:16 AM
Mal strikes at the leading warforged with his mace, correcting for his previous miss.

Standard: Attack! [roll0]
Crit: [roll2]
Crit Dmg: [roll3]

dextercorvia
2014-05-22, 11:34 PM
A Fork in the Tunnel, round 2
Mavra's aim is disastrous, scorching the floor between Mal's feet. Jade also has trouble firing past her companion, and sends her arrow harmlessly down the corridor. Mal, distracted by everything flying near him, isn't able to land a blow, either.

Viktor finishes chanting and a centipede appears near Mal and the Leader. It chitters and clicks and tries to grab at Leaders leg. The Leader returns the favor, with a kick. The pincers of the vermin fail to pierce the exoskeleton of the warforged, and likewise, the vermin is protected by his own.

Invigorated that every attack against his party was a miss, Mace steps between his companions and joins the melee. His mace comes smashing toward Mal in an overhand strike. Mal is not so distracted as to let such a clumsy strike through, and deftly blocks it.

Greedy sees that one of his opponents is on the ceiling, and therefore out of cover. He resheaths his rapier, and fires an arrow. Taking the lead from Greedy, ??? shoots a blast of fire at Mavra as well. Both strike true (7 damage total)

Centipede Attacking Leader [roll0] Miss
Damage 1 (1d4-3 is a formality) Immune to the poison
Critical confirm, just in case [roll1]

Leader attacking (Slam) Centipede [roll2] Miss
Damage [roll3]
Crit confirm, just in case [roll4]
Extra Damage [roll5]

Mace attacking Mal [roll6] Miss
Damage [roll7]
Crit confirm, just in case [roll8]
Extra Damage [roll9]

Greedy shooting at Mavra [roll10] Hit
Damage [roll11]
Crit confirm, just in case [roll12]
Extra Damage [roll13]

??? shooting at Mavra [roll14] Hit
Damage [roll15]
Crit confirm, just in case [roll16]
Extra Damage [roll17]

Socratov
2014-05-23, 06:22 AM
Ouch! Llarimar, can you be a dear and do your trick on me?

She 'walks' over the ceiling to hang over Llarimar's head.

Then she fixes her attention on the warforged that shot her. Eldritch once again starting to crackle along her fingertips.

Stupid Rustbucket! You will regret this!

move to above Llarimar (g13).

Attack ??? (I'll call him rustbucket):
[roll0] to touch
damage: [roll1]
in case of crit: [roll2] to touch
crit damage [roll3]

Oh wow, I roll well on skills, but absolutely piss poor on attacks, even against touch AC...

miinstrel
2014-05-23, 11:05 AM
With the leader distracted by the vermin on the ground, Mal lashes out again in the same repetitive motion, the two metallic surfaces echoing down the tunnels with a small cascade of sparks that sizzle as they touch the liquid floor.

Attack: [roll0]
crit conf: [roll2]
crit dmg: [roll3]

Entaris
2014-05-24, 09:12 AM
Viktor nods slightly and smirks as the Leader of these priestly constructs begins to attack his summoned vermin, pulling his hand back again as the fingers lickc back and forth to gather energies for a Lesser Orb of Acid

[roll0]

Stormageddon
2014-05-26, 01:23 PM
Jade calulates that timing of the fight to give her the best chance of attacking the leader.

Inspiration point spent to hit leader +3. Firing into combat -4. Point blank +1. Know Devotion +2.
[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Damage
Confirm
[roll2]
[roll3]

Dorian Gray
2014-05-26, 10:35 PM
Llarimar reaches his hand up, sending a small surge of healing energy into Marva.

Another CMiW for 4 health.

dextercorvia
2014-05-27, 10:40 AM
A Fork in the Tunnel, Round 3

Mavra, Jade, and Viktor all miss their intended targets. The acid sizzles into the muck at Mal's feet. His opponent taunts him. These fleshies don't serve you. They stand safely behind, not caring if their ranged attacks hit you. You are an expendable shield to them. Join with us, and free your... The crunch of Mal's weapon into Leader's side ends the taunt for a moment. Have it your way cousin. Leader and Mace continue their attack on the Cryforged. The fiendish bug still bites at leader's knees.

Greedy and Rustbucket continue volleying over everyone's head at Mavra.

Centipede attacking Leader [roll0] Hit
Damage 1
Crit confirm [roll1]

Leader attacking (Slam) Mal [roll2] Hit
Damage [roll3]
Crit Confirm [roll4]
Extra Damage [roll5]

Mace attacking Mal [roll6] Miss
Damage [roll7]
Crit Confirm [roll8]
Extra Damage [roll9]

Greedy attacking Mavra [roll10]
Damage [roll11]
Crit Confirm [roll12]
Extra Damage [roll13]

Rustbucket (formerly ???) attacking Mavra [roll14] Touch Hit
Damage [roll15]
Crit Confirm [roll16]
Extra Damage [roll17]

Mal takes 5 damage (1 and 4). Mavra takes 6 weapon damage, and 4 Fire damage

Socratov
2014-05-27, 11:08 AM
dmg reduction 1, so 5 weapon damage and 4 makes for 9, 4 hp remaining.

****! That hurts.

Mavra clutches her side biting back the pain.

Maybe third time the charm. Here goes nothing!

Once again arcane energy crackles over her fingers as she fires another blast at Rustbucket.

Eldritch Blast Rustbucket:
attack (touch AC): [roll0]
crit: [roll2]
damage: [roll3]

please, oh please Odin, let me melt Rustbucket's face off with a nice and juicy crit...

Sigh...

Move behind Llarimar see after spoiler

Disappointed with her latest attack and bleeding out a couple of too many holes she slides down from the ceiling to behind Llarimar.

miinstrel
2014-05-27, 01:04 PM
That 1 damage goes to the leader not me. Mal will take 4 from leader's hit.

"Your assertion is inaccurate. I am a child of the mountain. They do not control me. Perhaps if you lived as long as I you would understand." Mal is struck by his fist. "Unfortunately you will not exist that long."

Standard: ATTACK! [roll0]
Crit conf: [roll2]
Crit dmg: [roll3]

FINALLY a decent roll haha

Stormageddon
2014-05-27, 01:13 PM
The battle is moving too fast for Jade to get a decent shot in. Cluching the bow in fustration Jade begins motions of stolen magic from a book she read? Or maybe it was from watching many wizards preform their act... Either way it did not matter; the spell was coming to an end. Magic burst from the core of being spreading grease like substance of the area in which her enemy stood.

Casting grease on the area on which the three minion in the back stand (for now). DC 14.

Dorian Gray
2014-05-27, 11:08 PM
Llarimar, alarmed at the rate at which Marva is bleeding, sends a larger dose of healing energy into her, before running up towards Mal.

Cure Light Wounds for [roll0]
Llarimar moves as close to Mal as he can.

dextercorvia
2014-05-30, 12:04 AM
A Fork in the Tunnel, Round 4

The leader falls with Mal's blow. The Centipede steps over Leader's inert form to bite at Mace and then promptly disappears. Mace wobbles when Jade's spell slicks the area, but doesn't go down. Focus fire on the 'forged. We can convince him later. Mace pulls a wand and touches it to Leader's leg. Leader reactivates and swings at Mal from the ground.

Centipede attacking Mace [roll0]
Damage 1
Confirm Crit [roll1]

Greedy attacking Mal [roll2]
Damage [roll3]
Confirm Crit [roll4]
Extra Damage [roll5]

Rustbucket attacking Mal [roll6] (touch)
Damage [roll7]
Confirm Crit [roll8]
Extra Damage [roll9]

Leader attacking Mal [roll10]
Damage [roll11]
Confirm Crit [roll12]
Extra Damage [roll13]

Mal gets +4 cover bonus to AC vs. Greedy and Rustbucket, but is not engaged in melee when they attack (before leader is revived) so no additional -4 to attack.

Everything misses.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o626/dextercorvia/SewerFork-3.png (http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/dextercorvia/media/SewerFork-3.png.html)

miinstrel
2014-05-30, 02:07 PM
Mal focuses his fire on the leader attempting to stifle further commands.

Attack leader: [roll0] (+4 against prone target included)
crit conf: [roll2]

If leader goes unconscious, Mal will move to F8 to pick up cover from the ranged attacks (and provoking an AoO from Mace in the process). Hopefully these machines are as rigid in obeying orders as I once was.

If leader does not go unconscious he will remain where he is.

Socratov
2014-05-31, 06:20 AM
Thanks Llarimar, I feel a lot better, in fact, I feel good as new. Now, I can't miss every time

Mavra dashes past Llarimar, again charging up energy, arcing it around her fingers.

move to E10

Attack Rustbucket(touch): [roll0]
crit conf.(touch): [roll2]

edit: this might actually work for once...

Stormageddon
2014-05-31, 10:29 AM
Running forward Jade pulls out a strange looking bag and throws it at ???

Ranged touch attack [roll0] DC 15 or stuck to the floor as enraptured by glue.

Entaris
2014-06-02, 01:09 PM
Smirking as Leader goes down, Viktor hops forward a bit, keeping the loyal machine-man between himself and Greedy as his fingers click through the all-too-familiar symbols for Summon Monster once more,How are they at swimming, you think? He chuckles to Mavra, calling a Feindish Octopus into the putrid waters at the ranged one's feet.

Move to F-11, cast SM I next to Greedy (or if that's too far, Mace)

Octo-slap!
[roll0] Auto-grab if successful
[roll1] Free bite if grappled
[roll2] bite damage

dextercorvia
2014-06-02, 01:15 PM
It won't appear until the beginning of your next turn, but I'll save the rolls till then.

Dorian Gray
2014-06-02, 10:15 PM
Llarimar sloshes forward to stand next to Mal, sending energy from his belt into the metal man.
1 belt charge used, 2 remain
Healing: [roll0]

dextercorvia
2014-06-02, 10:26 PM
A Fork in the Tunnel, Round 5
Mal's crushing attack returns Leader to inaction. Mavra blasts Rustbucket to a similar state. That momentum carries several of you forward. Llarimar lays a hand on Mal as he steps out of the fray, granting some renewed energy and health. Jade slips in the muck as she releases her alchemical attack, giving Greedy the chance he needs to evade capture. Viktor begins another long incantation.

A whoosh escapes Mace's lips as Leader falls, that in an organic creature would be described as a sigh. The warforged raises a hand at you and a wave of fire washes over the group. It then struggles to move away from the now overwhelming assault. The forged can't keep footing in the greasy sludge, and falls to the floor

Greedy sees another chance to put an arrow in the soft skinbag on the ceiling, and takes the shot. He then retreats a step down the corridor.

Jade said she moved forward and E9 was the only open square. Llarimar moves to F9 and uses a charge from his healing belt. [roll0] Healed on Mal. Viktor moves forward and uses a standard action to begin casting (he'll have to use another standard action next turn to finish the spell).

Mace Fire Damage [roll1] (Reflex DC 12 for half) This cone shaped burst hits everyone but Viktor (out of range) and Mavra (ceiling height)
Balance Check to Move [roll2]
Move to D5 if Successful

Greedy Attacking Mavra [roll3]
Damage [roll4]
Confirm Crit [roll5]
Extra Damage [roll6]
Move to C4

Socratov
2014-06-03, 04:09 AM
Viktor, you promised! No more grease and octopodes!

Mavra moves around n the ceiling, dodging the arrow.

With another crackle of energy she charges her Eldritch Blast and fires it at Greedy

Sorry, your arrow has not struck home, maybe you need more energy strike true!

attack Greedy: [roll0] (touch)
crit confirm: [roll2] (touch)
crit damage: [roll3]

dextercorvia
2014-06-03, 09:08 AM
I was waiting to upload the map until I rolled to see whether Mace could move or not, then I forgot to actually do it last night. Here you go.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o626/dextercorvia/SewerFork-4.png (http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/dextercorvia/media/SewerFork-4.png.html)

miinstrel
2014-06-03, 09:24 AM
Reinvigorated by his companion's touch, Mal steps back into the fray leveling his mace at the 'forged of the same name. "This needn't end in your destruction. Surrender your arms and you shall go free."

Move: Move to E8
Standard: ready action. If Mace tries to do anything besides stand up or surrender (even move out of his square), attack him.
[roll0], damage [roll1], crit conf [roll2]

Entaris
2014-06-03, 10:20 AM
Liking the cut of Mal's jib, Viktor took a step forward to loom over Leader and Mace both, rapier poised as his other hand sends the summoning spell to its place into the water next to Greedy.

Finish SM 1. Move to E9

dextercorvia
2014-06-03, 09:03 PM
Stick a Fork in that Tunnel, fin

The warforged can not hear Mal's threat, but understands his posture. Never will I serve your skinbag masters! Mace yells as it tries to get to its feet. She swings for Mal's knees on her way up. His own bludgeon misses the stubborn forged on its first counter, but throws Mace off enough that the follow up catches hold, and beats the construct senseless.

In the meantime, the Octopus has quite tangled up Greedy. By the time you catch your breath make it down the passage where it lies, the octopus has strangled all semblance of life from it.

Yes Mal's first attack was a miss. Statistically speaking this battle was over. The chances of any member of the party taking so much as a HP of damage were negligible, so I'm calling it so we can move on.

Let me know how you all handle the wrap up. Technically they are all inert (in negatives, but not -10 or below). I'm sure you will have some interesting conversations about how to deal with that.

Everyone receives 240xp

Dorian Gray
2014-06-03, 10:06 PM
Llarimar sidles up to the bodies. "Drag them out of the water- I can fix them up enough that they can get out."

Socratov
2014-06-04, 01:54 AM
Shall we at leas take their weapons first? So they can't turn on us again, or at least not as easily. I also have some rope to bind their hands...

Oh, and don't act so shocked, I know perfectly well about the way you abhor violence and death or mercykillings. Even though I must point out it would be the smart and logical move here...

Entaris
2014-06-04, 11:47 AM
Viktor sniffs derisively at the bodies, "A shame their 'precious' gods couldn't see fit to assist them..." He remarked ironically, looking down the path to where Greedy's corpse lay half-in the water from being strangled and drown.

Socratov
2014-06-04, 12:13 PM
Exactly the reason why I live my philosophical life like I do Viktor, and you know it, Mavra smirks now be a dear and go through their pockets or storage spaces, maybe we can find something in terms of information or useful things. Also, Mal and Jade, start binding the warforged so Llarimar can heal them without them turning on us.Mavra un threads one of the coils of rope wound cleverly around her torso, coils it and tosses it to Jade If you find something interesting or nice put it on a pile so we can decide what to do with it when we are done. Also, Llarimar, be a dear and keep them asleep when you heal them. It will make a huge difference in handling them.

Mavra walks over to Rustbucket and start searching and binding him after again pulling some rope off her torso.

Viktor, could I borrow that knife of yours for a bit? jade and Mal, if you want to cut the rope up into smaller pieces that's fine with me. I assume you don't need 50 feet of rope to bind together a set of hands and feet...

start searching and use rope

Search: take 20+2=22
Use Rope: take 20+ 2=22

dextercorvia
2014-06-04, 12:45 PM
You bind the hands and feet of the warforged, and gather up their belongings. You find several weapons, a handful of likely magical items, and a good sized pile of gold.

Leader had a glaive with a weapon crystal attached, a Longbow, 175gp, and his amulet is one of ones with a light spell active.

Greedy had a set of thieves tools, a rapier, a shortbow with a weapon crystal attached, and 50gp.

Mace had a mace, a wand, a scroll, one of the lit amulets, and 100gp

Rustbucket had a necklace with a mummified hand hanging off it.

@Llarimar, if you heal them they will become conscious, they are stable and currently in no danger of dying.

miinstrel
2014-06-04, 01:45 PM
"Many of them do not have a complete sense of the gods yet. It is quite overwhelming suddenly being given complete consciousness; it's unlike anything I might describe to you," Mal says to Viktor as he binds Leader's hands.

Once finished he turns his attention to the many items they retrieved and begins analyzing them, attempting to discern any magical or masterwork properties.
I can make a d20 roll + artificer levels + INT mod vs DC 15 to identify any schools of magic / auras. He will only check masterwork weaponry if there is any. I'll just make a bunch of rolls and you can use them in order as needed.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

dextercorvia
2014-06-04, 02:09 PM
The glaive and shortbow are masterwork, but nonmagical. The rest of the weapons are neither.

The glaive's weapon crystal you can't discern (8). The amulets have a faint evocation spell effect active on them. (20)

The weapon crystal on the bow is faint necromancy (20). The wand is faint transmutation (17). The scroll you can't discern (13), but someone might have spellcraft for that. The necklace is faint transmutation (19).

Socratov
2014-06-04, 02:15 PM
Hm... let me see that scroll...

Roll Spellcraft: 1d20+8didn't work (die, skillbonus, synergy UMD and Knowledge Arcana)

Socratov
2014-06-04, 02:17 PM
spellcraft, including synergy bonuses:[roll0]

dextercorvia
2014-06-04, 04:44 PM
Mavra cannot make out the spell on the scroll.

miinstrel
2014-06-04, 05:04 PM
"I saw the one with the mace repair their leader with this wand," he says holding it up and examining it. "I doubt such a thing would be of use to any of you. I desire to keep this on my body in case of further damage to my casing." He waits for a response before placing it in his bag.

"The rest I have no use for at present. Unless anyone has immediate need of anything perhaps we should wait until after slaying the dragon to divide the rest of the spoils. There is little use in any of us taking a share of the gold if we are destroyed."

So I set up a group loot spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gayrErSh5_J9pyXzkP6GZrg1DN_Xudk3K67rnAAOl5k/edit?usp=sharing) to track our earnings. It's pretty straightforward. We'll have a running list of all gear and anything we split out for people can be noted so one person doesn't end up with 60% of the gear (not that i foresee that being a problem). Anyone who wants something can just speak up in the OOC thread.

Plus it makes sense that Mal would do this since he's the item guy and quite organized anyway :P.

Socratov
2014-06-04, 05:09 PM
Mavra shakes her head

Can't make anything of it. How about you Viktor?

Mavra hands the scroll to Viktor and starts to separate the masterwork and magical equipment from the non-magical equipment.

I think the crystals, the wand, the scroll and the amulet are good candidates to take along. I think it would be best to leave the non-magical equipment behind. We're not going to carry it and they wouldn't survive without some form of weapons in these sewers. And that would be akin to execution wouldn't it Llarimar? Now about those masterwork weapons though...

Stormageddon
2014-06-04, 06:40 PM
Are we really considering repairing them? I mean it does seem like an awful waste of resources that could be put to better use then healing thieves that would have murdered us with out a second. Even unarmed they still might be dangerous.

Jade walks over and picks up the thief's tools.

These at least they can do without.... I mean just think of the trouble they could get into with these.

Dorian Gray
2014-06-04, 09:14 PM
Llarimar shakes his head. "No magic- I'll just tie the broken bits together. They're forged, they'll be fine."
Heal check: [roll0], to stabilize them. Since warforged can't go unconscious, that should let them walk away, right?

dextercorvia
2014-06-04, 10:44 PM
Jade

The tools are of exceptional quality, master work even.

Llarimar

Unfortunately your knowlege of humanoid anatomy doesn't help you much as you try to reassemble the warforged.

Healing checks have no effect. They are already stabilized. It requires a Craft check and 8 hours.

Entaris
2014-06-05, 11:50 AM
Viktor accepts the scroll and takes a look while looking over the other items for value.

Stormageddon
2014-06-05, 02:24 PM
Well the Traveler has seen fit to end their journey. Such is life. If I could seen that scroll? Jade examines the scroll.

Spellcraft [roll0] Using an IP to gain bonus.

dextercorvia
2014-06-05, 02:46 PM
Jade carefully looks over the parchment and determines that it is a scroll of Remove Blindness/Deafness.

miinstrel
2014-06-05, 02:54 PM
"Leaving their mundane equipment is acceptable. Their more valuable gear is forfeit as payment for their attempt on our lives. We should continue before the dragon escapes deeper into the mountain."

After everyone has safely passed the warforged bodies, Mal, addressing his feeling of camaraderie with these artificial creatures, attempts to use the wand to activate Mace. If successful, he says "You are responsible for their well-being. Get them to the surface and tend to their damage. Remember this moment."

None of this is secretive or hidden from the rest of the party, and he isn't too worried about repercussions as all of the warforged are still bound.

UMD: [roll0] - DC 20 to activate a wand
I presume the wand is Repair Light Damage, but in case it's moderate I rolled both:
Light: [roll1]
Moderate: [roll2]

dextercorvia
2014-06-05, 03:11 PM
Mace inclines its head and inquires, Your masters are not taking us with them? They have bound our hands like prisoners. Do they have no need for slaves? Mace looks you over You are similar to our creator. It had the crystal growths in addition to parts like this one.

Fudging the deafness post combat. It was supposed to last 1 hour, but would just get in the way of RP now.

For simplicity's sake, it is Repair Light Damage, and there are now 38 charges left.

miinstrel
2014-06-05, 03:35 PM
Mal thinks on his comment for a minute. One of his brothers was trying to recreate the effect that brought them into existence. The last attempt ended in calamity... That would be very bad for business.

"I am my own master. I have no need for slaves, but I do need to meet your creator. This one will come to this address tomorrow morning and take me to him. If I am not at this address, leave his on a piece of paper attached to the door, and I will come when I am able." He scribbles down the address of his shop on a small piece of parchment and places it in one of Mace's compartments before joining his companions on their journey.

dextercorvia
2014-06-05, 08:23 PM
You follow the right hand fork for a ways. Eventually you come to a transition in the tunnel. A one foot diameter clay pipe drains the water away somewhere beneath you. All around the opening lichen, moss, and other assorted organisms grow on the walls and floor where the sewage has splashed before.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o626/dextercorvia/BewaretheLichen.jpg (http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/dextercorvia/media/BewaretheLichen.jpg.html)

The floor is slippery, and it requires a DC 15 Balance check to pass the area. The sludge is not deep before the drain, and is basically non-existent after it. Past the drain, you can see that the tunnel that continues is hewn into the rock, rather than being reinforced with bricks. You are definitely deeper in the mountain than before.

Socratov
2014-06-06, 02:45 AM
EAULGH!* I am not, I repeat NOT wading through that Mavra snaps

*Phonetic translation

Mavra climbs on the walls and starts walking over the lichen until the sewage has disappeared, after which she slides back down on the ground to look at the party wading through the sludge

miinstrel
2014-06-06, 09:17 AM
Mal takes a brief scan looking for any pools of blue draining down and avoids those as he steps carefully onto the slick surface. Every step ends with a *squilch* as the sewage squirts out of the growths.

Balance: [roll0]

Entaris
2014-06-06, 11:32 AM
Viktor smirks at Mavra's antics,

"What's the matter, Mavra? Waste not, want not, yes?"

He chuckles to himself and checks to see if the sludge is poisonous before walking across the fallen Mal to the other side.

OOC: Cast Detect Poison

dextercorvia
2014-06-06, 01:29 PM
Mal wobbles part of the way through, but doesn't fall down. After a moment, he is able to make it the rest of the way across. Viktor determines the muck is not overly poisonous to humanoids -- not based on contact alone, ingestion would likely be a different story. Mavra has to climb all the way to the ceiling to avoid the slimy lichen, but makes it around without dirtying any more than previously sullied. Jade makes it first try, as does the healer.

[roll0]

Stormageddon
2014-06-06, 01:36 PM
Jade careful examines the floor and skillfully hopes from rock to rock to pass the room.

dextercorvia
2014-06-06, 01:44 PM
You made it just fine. You have a +5 mod on your sheet.

Dorian Gray
2014-06-07, 06:47 PM
"That was disgusting. Let's never do that again."

Llarimar flicks his staff, trying to get the slimy water off the bottom end.

dextercorvia
2014-06-07, 10:01 PM
With the sewer water all drained behind you, this part of the path definitely smells better than any other part of your trek so far. The corridor is hewn stone part of the time, and natural cavern others, as though someone joined several small caves together to make a continuous path. Mostly the path is clear and well worn, but there are occasional chutes and grottoes to pique your curiosity. You peer inside one such grotto as you pass by, and are treated to the sight of dozens of bones long picked clean and arranged neatly on shelves. It appears to be some forgotten burial chamber. You count two more, then a third, and it looks like more up ahead when the smell overtakes you. This smell overpowers even your dulled senses from earlier. A disgusting humanoid creature leaps from the recesses of one of the alcoves along side the party, with claws and teeth bared.

Init [roll0]
Mal=1, Jade =2, Mavra =3, Llarimar = 4, Viktor = 5
[roll1] to determine which of you is closest to the alcove it pops from.

Give me initiatives, and if you roll higher than Scary, go ahead and post actions. You can also roll a Knowledge Religion check for more information. I'm going to skip the map this time. Anyone that wants to close for melee can do so within a single move action.

Stormageddon
2014-06-08, 11:22 PM
Jade turns around swiftly and fires her bow at the new threat!

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll]1d8+2/roll]
Confirm Crit [roll1]
Crit Damage [roll2]

Socratov
2014-06-09, 10:57 AM
wow, ugly!

Mavra scales the wall and lets loose a crackling burst of energy

Move up the wall as far as 20' will let me

EB:
Attack: [roll0]@ touch
dmg: [roll1]
crit confirm:[roll2]

Well, that's another critical miss... :smallsigh:

dextercorvia
2014-06-09, 04:29 PM
Jade's arrow finds it's way into the putrid flesh. Mavra's bolt of energy misses, blasting a pile of bones to ash. Viktor begins to chant just as the ghast closes the last few feet to Llarimar and attacks. Its claws and unnaturally sharp teeth slash and snap in a fury of hatred.

Llarimar Make a DC 15 Fort save or be sickened. Anyone else that closes for melee must do the same. If you have poison immunity, that gets you out of it.

5' step out of alcove at the healer, then full attack.
Bite [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

If the bite hits roll a DC 15 fort save vs. paralysis

Claw [roll2]
Damage [roll3]
Claw [roll4]
Damage [roll5]

miinstrel
2014-06-09, 05:03 PM
Simply recognizing that the creature means harm, Amalgam rushes forward to protect his passive companion.

Move: Advance toward Scary.
Standard: Bull rush him away from Llarimar. Scary gets an AoO and needs to make a STR check. If I win he moves 5 feet and I take over his space.
STR: [roll0]
Move: Advance toward Scary.
Standard: Attack! [roll1], damage [roll2], crit conf [roll3]

Dorian Gray
2014-06-10, 01:07 AM
Llarimar's eyes open wide, and he yelps out, "Undead!" as one of the ghast's claws scrapes against the healer's arm. Staggering backwards, the healer gags and yells out a short prayer. Suddenly, the entire corridor explodes into view as brilliant light shines from Llarimar's chest.

Take 6 damage: 10/16. 5 foot step back out of the Ghast's reach, and cast luminous armor. I take [roll0] strength damage. For 3 hours, I get +5 AC, adjacent attackers take -4 to their attack roll, and I am surrounded by a daylight effect.

Entaris
2014-06-10, 09:24 AM
Viktor smirks and motions to Mav to stand back as he finishes his incantation, bringing the Centipede in just behind the ghast. That would be all the help these two get out of him in this situation, as he himself takes a step back and begins looking around the bone piles to see where to start desecrating.

"Do mind that you don't get any on you! I hear its stench alone can take weeks to wash out!" He jibes.

[roll0] To find the best way to desecrate these altars ^_^

Socratov
2014-06-10, 01:10 PM
I climb up the wall even further charging my hands with arcane crackling energy

stay out of reach of the ghast, but within 60'.

EB:
attack: [roll0]@touch

Not bothering with crits, since the only crits I seem to get are ciritical failures. If I do get a crit I'll post the confirm etc. in the OOC thread.

Stormageddon
2014-06-11, 03:18 PM
Jade fires again at ghast!

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Attack (1d20+7)[22]
Damage [roll]1d8+2/roll]
Confirm Crit (1d20+7)[17]
Crit Damage (2d8+4)[15]

dextercorvia
2014-06-11, 04:51 PM
Scary, Round 2

Llarimar steps back and casts his spell. Mal swings his weapon at the ghast, but is distracted as Llarimar shouts right behind him, and that gives the undead a chance to dodge. Mavra blasts the creature with fire. Viktor places a centipede between himself and danger, but the vermin is unable to catch hold of the supernaturally quick abomination. Jade is unable to get a clear shot in the tight corridor, and wastes the arrow rather than risking her companions.

The undead manages to bite Mal's shoulder (6 damage), but its claws scrape ineffectually at his exoskeleton.

I rolled the dice offline to smooth out the update post. You are all up again.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o626/dextercorvia/ScaryMap.jpg (http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/dextercorvia/media/ScaryMap.jpg.html)

Oops, Jade is on my hand drawn version at B3, I missed her when copying it to a spreadshet. Mavra is +5 feet (ceiling level).

miinstrel
2014-06-12, 12:12 AM
OOC: This is pretty much perfect... I wanted myself between it and everyone else.

Mal places his bulky mass directly at the edge of the hallway and focuses on keeping the undead from reaching any of the others.

Full round: Total Defense (+4 AC, total 21)

Socratov
2014-06-12, 01:46 AM
upon seeing her success she keeps blasting the creature with bolts of eldritch energy.

attack: [roll0]
damage:[roll1]

Entaris
2014-06-12, 11:05 AM
Seeing that the Ghast was being entertained by the others, Viktor shrugs and wanders over to examine the bone piles.

[roll0] Knowledge:Religion

Stormageddon
2014-06-12, 01:15 PM
Jade focuses all his energy into her target.

[roll0] using a inspiration point +3, Point blank +1 firing into combat -4
Damage [roll1] using an IP if hits.

dextercorvia
2014-06-13, 10:12 PM
It is hard to get a clear shot in the tight quarters, so the arrow and eldritch blast miss their mark. The centipede is able to take a nibble out of the creature, but Mal is not. Infuriated that the only thing it can reach is made of metal, the ghast pushes past Mal into the hallway and bites Jade (8 damage). Llarimar waits until the creature moves then reaches out and blasts the creature with positive energy.

Centipede deals 1 damage to Scary. It's movement isn't a 5' step because of the corner of wall, so Mal gets an AoO (the centipede did, too but missed). Jade needs to make a DC 15 Fort save or be paralyzed. Also, Jade and Llarimar have to make a DC 15 fort save or be sickened.

I had Llarimar ready an action to use his healing belt on the thing if it came within reach. When it moved close enough, he hit it for 12 damage. Knock off one charge on the belt for today.

Dorian Gray
2014-06-13, 10:24 PM
Llarimar channels more healing energy, swinging a glowing arm at the ghast.
Cure light wounds for [roll0]. Melee touch: [roll1]

dextercorvia
2014-06-13, 10:47 PM
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o626/dextercorvia/ScaryMap-1.jpg (http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/dextercorvia/media/ScaryMap-1.jpg.html)

Socratov
2014-06-13, 11:49 PM
Well, at least I have more where that came from...

So, Viktor, any closer to whatever it is you're doing?

I move a little towards the ugly creature and send the crackling energy towards the ugly thing again...

move to B5 above Llarimar...

Attack: [roll0] @ touch

not going to bother with critical hits until they present themselves...

Entaris
2014-06-14, 08:11 AM
"Hmm? Oh, yes, I'm just admiring these well-stacked bones..." Viktor comments, looking for any particularly well-preserved skulls amongst the rows, muttering a divination under his breath all the while.

[roll0] Spot for nice, old Skull
Cast Detect Magic

Socratov
2014-06-14, 08:40 AM
Viktor, I swear on my daddy's foolishness, if you are again going to re-enact that wretched play you're so fond of I will personally slap you so hard Llarimar here will need a full day to reverse the direction your head is facing.

Seriously guys, he just can't shut up about it once he sees a skull...

miinstrel
2014-06-14, 04:28 PM
The fight seems to be going well for us, so I don't think this will be a big issue but per the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm):
"You can’t move diagonally past a corner (even by taking a 5-foot step)."

That was why I total defensed at the end of the hallway there. No biggie for now, but FYI for future combats :)

Mal was unprepared for the creature's strength and is pushed off balance. As he steadies himself by planting an enormous foot into the muck he brings his mace around and catches the creature in the back as it steps past him and follows up with another blow.
AoO: [roll0], damage [roll1]

Standard: attack! [roll2], damage [roll3]
Move: 5 foot step to B4. Now the centipede can get in there without taking an AoO.

dextercorvia
2014-06-14, 06:07 PM
Damn. I even double checked that rule when you said something about blocking him from the others. I was wondering whether he could make a 5'step across the corner. But then I had it stuck in my head that it was just no 5' step. So, in retrospect, he would have needed to do a bullrush. My apologies to all. I try not to break the rules. I'm going to leave it, because as Mal said, it seems to be going your way, and retcons are a pain.

Stormageddon
2014-06-14, 06:23 PM
Jade attempts to scream as the jaw of the undead fiend closes about her shoulder but is unable to move he mouth sickening feeling comes over her but she is unable to move even to throw up. Jade watches helplessly as the creature prepares to attack again.

dextercorvia
2014-06-14, 09:05 PM
Mal's mace fails to find purchase in the creature as it rushes by, and his follow up is no better. Llarimar's touch pains the creature once again. Jade is paralyzed, Mavra misses, and Viktor determines the skulls in his area are all non-magical. The centipede advances and attacks the ghast, but can't manage to hit the supernaturally quick creature. It then vanishes back to where it came from. The undead directs his attacks at Llarimar. It flails at the holy healer to no effect though.

Jade is paralyzed for 2 more rounds. Scary missed vs Llarimar's monster AC all three times.

You guys are up.

Stormageddon
2014-06-14, 09:24 PM
Jade continues to pretend to be statue hoping beyond hope that she would be over looked.

Socratov
2014-06-15, 06:15 AM
Attack: [roll0] @ touch

Entaris
2014-06-15, 08:47 AM
Viktor wanders to each of the other niches in turn, looking them over for any interesting skulls, weighing mentally his likelyhood of getting behind Mal to slip into the hallway Scary lept out of.

Dorian Gray
2014-06-15, 09:13 AM
"I need to save spells!", Llarimar yells, winding up and swinging his staff at the ghast's head.
[roll0], [roll1] damage.
Yeah, I've used almost half my 1st level spells, 1 of my 2nd levels, and 2 belt charges. I can keep healing for a while, but spell damage against this guy will be more of a last resort sort of thing.

miinstrel
2014-06-15, 11:33 AM
No worries on the rules dexter; we all miss them. I was just called out on this one in my RL campaign last week, so it's fresh in my mind :P.

@Dorian - Well your attacks are rolling better than any of ours so do whatever you want haha.

Undaunted, Mal continues his assault.
Standard: Attack! [roll0], damage [roll1]

dextercorvia
2014-06-15, 12:44 PM
The ghast is pretty torn up by this barrage of attacks. It howls in frustration as it claws furiously at Llarimar, but still can't penetrate his armor enchantment. The creature is barely holding its limbs on at this point, but seems desperate to inflict as much damage as possible.

By my count you've done 49 points of damage. He missed all three times again. You guys are up.

Socratov
2014-06-15, 01:14 PM
smelling victory Mavra shrieks while firing the ghast that is quickly becoming a mass of torn flesh

"I am the spirit that denies! And rightly so; because everything that arises is worth it perishes. "

Attack: [roll0] @touch

Stormageddon
2014-06-15, 01:30 PM
Errrr uhanff gjaod....

dextercorvia
2014-06-15, 01:48 PM
Demoralized with that quip, the undead fails to dodge this blast of energy. It collapses to the ground in a burning heap.

Everyone gets 450xp for that. I decided that cutting corners was a combat enhancing ability that I gave to this ghast, so I bumped its CR by 1 for calculating XP.

Socratov
2014-06-15, 07:34 PM
Viktor! You can come out now, the big scary monster is gooone! or did you find something interesting?

Entaris
2014-06-16, 06:19 AM
Viktor walked back into view, looking down the hallway the aghast had come from. hmm? Ah yes, well, I didn't find anything of interest...unless there is aught of use down here... he mutters, wandering n that direction.

dextercorvia
2014-06-16, 08:59 AM
Viktor heads down the hall and sees a couple of magic auras coming from one of the shelves. It turns out not to be one of the skulls, but what appears to be the ghast's stash of worldly possessions.

There is a dry rotted pouch containing 400 gold pieces, a thumb sized piece of black onyx, a pendant set with a jade carving of a diving hawk, a wand (magic), a masterwork silver dagger, and a crumbling quiver containing only a single arrow (magic).

Socratov
2014-06-17, 07:31 AM
Mavra starts to wander the area and inspect the walls and alcoves.

Entaris
2014-06-17, 01:22 PM
Viktor grins and examines everything before tucking the dagger into his belt next to the arrow and moving the gold into his own bag of currency. He slips the pendant and onyx in a pocket beneath his coat and wanders back towards the group, twirling the wand in his fingers. Not a total loss, then. he comments to his colleagues.

[roll0]

dextercorvia
2014-06-17, 02:12 PM
Moving 400gp from one pouch to another without anyone noticing? That is going to take some skill. Roll your Sleight of Hand checks. One for each item you pocketed, call them in the order I listed them. Everyone else roll spot and listen checks.

miinstrel
2014-06-17, 02:35 PM
Amalgam observes the gaunt body on the sewer floor. "It is interesting how magic is able to animate something so incapable of life on its own. Were this creature living, I believe it would barely be able to move. Look at the emaciated frame. Quite interesting." he reaches down and lifts one of the ghast's tendony arms and notes the lack of muscle. he seems quite engrossed in the study and somewhat oblivious to other goings-on.

This will be laughable haha.
BTW there are 5 items Viktor tried to take so everyone else doesn't have to go count them.

Spot: [roll0], Listen [roll1]
Spot: [roll2], Listen [roll3]
Spot: [roll4], Listen [roll5]
Spot: [roll6], Listen [roll7]
Spot: [roll8], Listen [roll9]

Dorian Gray
2014-06-17, 04:39 PM
Llarimar coughs. "Pass me the wand, I'll see if I can use it."

Almost absent-mindedly, the healer touches Jade, sealing some of her wounds. "Hey Mal, want to pass me that wand as well? I don't do metal as well as I do meat."

Cure Minor Wounds for 4 health on both Jade and Llarimar

Entaris
2014-06-17, 04:46 PM
Viktor smirks, holding the wand vertically by the base and turning it this way an that admiringly, No, I have a good feeling about this one. I think I'll keep it. Whatever is the sense in having two wands at once, anyway? He remarks slyly, smirk never fading.

miinstrel
2014-06-17, 04:56 PM
Mal rises from the ghast and turns to Llarimar with wand in his closed hand. "While I believe one entity maintaining our reparation devices is the most organized method, I believe this may be better appropriated to my equipment. I am quite familiar with the spell contained within and can use it to optimal effect as needed since you all have different rejuvenatory needs. As you can see, I have modified my weapon to allow me to use this whenever is needed." Mal unscrews the base of the mace revealing a hollow chamber inside. He slides the wand in and seals it again. "Now I need only tap myself should I be near 'death.'" He closes the sentence with questionable finality as though he hasn't entirely wrapped his head around the concept.

I don't think Repair Light Damage is on your spell list, is it? If it's not you'll need a UMD check to use it where I can do it automatically.

dextercorvia
2014-06-17, 06:13 PM
Your searches turn up only old bones.

Socratov
2014-06-17, 07:45 PM
Mavra stays surprisingly silent through the ordeal, only observing Viktor.

I propose we rest for the night since our spellcasters seem to run low on fuel.

take 20 on use rope to weave a hammock from the rope I have left:

20+2=22 with a total of 75' of rope.

Oh, and by the way, Llarimar if you need any help suturing wounds, I have my surgical kit with me and some herbal remedies...

miinstrel
2014-06-18, 10:11 AM
"Is that wise? Kurtahk said the dragon had moved this direction. If we take several hours to rest it may escape into the lower tunnels and be lost. I believe it in our best interest to pursue it."

Dorian Gray
2014-06-18, 12:49 PM
"No, I don't think so, Viktor. Spoils of war are for those who contribute, and while I'm sure you feel very smart quoting depressing retellings of folk tales, I can't help but notice that you were searching for loot while the rest of us were in the middle of fighting. If I can't trust you to have our back during a fight, I won't bother helping you when you get hurt."

Turning to Mavra, Llarimar responds, "I'm alright for now. I've still got a couple fights left in me."

Entaris
2014-06-19, 06:48 AM
Viktor raises the index finger of his non-wand hand, On the contrary, I DID contribute, via Centipede. Afterwards, I, lacking my darling Mavra's wall-climbing, had no direct line of sight to said beasty. He corrected with a grin, Also, while my sword IS as sharp as my wit, it is far sharper against those of a living and spell-focused demeanor. I would have simply been in the way, you see. He finished, offering a friendly smile.

dextercorvia
2014-06-19, 02:29 PM
Viktor saunters back out into the main tunnel. You know, priest, I don't care for your tone. You seem to be implying that your contributions are more valuable than mine. So far all we've done is trudge through a couple miles of sewer and cave on the advice of a kobold who probably doesn't even want us to find the dragon. I think I'll just take my cut of the loot from those constructs, and go back topside. I can think of plenty of more profitable ways to spend the rest of my afternoon. I'll settle for that necklace with the weird hand.

Pardon the rough transition. I hadn't expected Entaris to post another time.

Stormageddon
2014-06-19, 02:29 PM
After becoming unparalyzed Jade slums to her knees. Only to feel better once the healer comes by and lightly touches her.

Thank you healer.... Ugh Ghasts are ugly things... I'm amazed by the amount of creatures just living in the sewers.... Perphaps this is why the sewer tourism industry has never taken off. Perphaps the Ghast was assigned here to guard something of value.

Jade wonders around looking for stuff.

So many rolls
[roll0] Search
[roll1] Spot

[roll2] Spot

[roll3] Spot

[roll4] Spot

dextercorvia
2014-06-19, 04:28 PM
You find nothing else of interest. While you are looking around, (before he started talking) you spot Viktor slipping coins and a necklace into his jacket.

Two remarks left me thinking I didn't make it clear. Since you passed the oozy part you are in natural caves that have been smoothed out, not sewers anymore. No muck on the floor.

miinstrel
2014-06-20, 11:51 AM
"You leave us with a sub-optimal number of combatants to face this dragon according to our current information, but we are all free-willed and it is your decision. I'm afraid we do not have the time to escort you to the surface, so I trust you will be able to find your own way?" There's a hint of annoyance in his gravelly voice.

Socratov
2014-06-20, 11:58 AM
Well, Viktor, if you are going then at least leave the toys. WE might need them later against the dragon. And if I hear right you have taken your cut form the treasure, or were you counting your own gold back there?

dextercorvia
2014-06-20, 02:37 PM
What, those knucklebones I picked up for a new dice set? There are bones all over the place if you want some, take them. I really must insist on my cut from the earlier fight. Viktor holds out his hand expectantly.

Jade finds an empty coinpurse and quiver discarded in the side hall. They are both pretty degraded, and lying on the floor near where Viktor was.

Socratov
2014-06-20, 02:58 PM
Viktor, I'd really appreciate it if you would stop insulting my intellect. Please remember I'm a coroner who occasionally dabbles in stopping people leaking. I know the difference between the jingle of coins and knucklebones colliding. I know you found some toys and gold. Now, you can either play nice and share, keep the gold and lose the toys or get a spanking you will remember for the next 20 years. Your choice.

I use my at will detect magic.

dextercorvia
2014-06-20, 04:04 PM
Round 1 -- You detect magical auras.

Obviously, lacking some other place to put them, I slipped them in my purse. I really expected better of you, Mav. Are you really going to take the priest's side?

Round 2 -- In addition to his usual aura around his sword, you see a glow from the wand, and another coming from under his longcoat.

Socratov
2014-06-20, 04:49 PM
Well, it's not about the money, honey, but it's about the fact that we are going to face down a dragon which has gone insane. I would like to get the dragon with minimal risks. Those toys you concealed might go a long way in securing my survival. I like my survival. Also, scars don't suit my complexion. So be a dear and cough up the good will you? Including the pendant if you please and whatever you have stashed down your breeches..

I hold out my hands for the goodies.

dextercorvia
2014-06-20, 09:44 PM
If you are so interesting in my breeches, you should come back with me. Viktor begins to back away from the rest of you. I can't believe you all are holding out on me. I deserve a cut of that loot! He looks you all over, counting his spells remaining. I'm done with you all for now. Expect a bill.

The aura under his coat is moderate conjuration, as is his sword. The wand is faint necromancy.

He turns and starts walking quickly back up the corridor.

miinstrel
2014-06-20, 11:54 PM
"Let him leave. The dragon's reward outweighs whatever trinkets he found."

Socratov
2014-06-21, 04:54 AM
No, Mal, you of all people should know that the chance of success and survival depend on having options. You know what, shy don't you put that magnificent mind yours to calculating our chances with and without the items. I see at least 2 conjuration auras and 1 faint necromancy aura.

I start moving towards Viktor, closing the distance

Viktor, this is your last chance. It's not about the money, it's about the items. As for what you deserve, you deserve a cut of the first loot. If you are going to bill us, a notion highly amusing, you should lay your loot down so we can examine it and actually count out your fair share. You've got nothing to fear as long as you play along like a good little boy. Besides, you don't want to run, do you? I mean, what would happen if our little friends in the mountain heard about your little episode of non contribution to the battle and running like a coward from me, as well as abandoning your quest to power by leaving our little hunting party. Now you are going to give me the toys or you will see first hand what daddy's legacy has made me!

I start turning red, my irises start to darken and grow

Intimidate: [roll0]

Stormageddon
2014-06-21, 11:50 AM
swish! An arrow goes flying into Victor.

[roll0] Using an IP point to attack!
Damage [roll1] with IP

Dorian Gray
2014-06-22, 03:41 PM
Llarimar steps up, enveloping Viktor in his calming aura and doing his best to keep the necromancer from escaping.
Um... I guess I'm just standing in his way, if it's a narrow corridor. Something like that.

Edit: I don't know when exactly Ll would go in the initiative order, but my maximum would still be lower than what Vicky rolled, so it doesn't really matter.

Stormageddon
2014-06-22, 05:41 PM
What a second! The man is going to take the gold and take off.... A rage built up inside of Jade as the man talked. He wasn't about to just walk away. This man needed to be taught a lesson. Namely: Jade does a job she gets paid, period. Need he just mention send us a bill!? That was the last straw.

dextercorvia
2014-06-22, 09:46 PM
Viktor sees the arrow knocked and drawn, but he is faster. A word and a gesture send a glob of acid back at Jade. The arrow and the acid pass in flight. You backstabbing thief! I was leaving. He pleads to Mal, Machine, calculate the reduction in odds of a successful outcome after wasting resources on this fight! This. His hand retracts from his side, and an arrow falls out of his jacket. This was the toy you wanted so desperately. It's just a stupid arrow.

The acid splashes harmlessly on the wall. The arrow plunges into the man's chest.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Everyone but Jade post round 1 actions.

Socratov
2014-06-23, 05:21 AM
Ah well, can't avoid it anymore, can we?

Jade, this might not have been entirely smart, but let me help, I don't waste resources anyway...

I climb out of range of Viktor's Magebane Quickblade

Viktor! Sweetiepie! Did we force ourselves on you, or you on us?

Move 20' up the wall
Attack: [roll0] @touch

Oh, and yep, that'a another Faust quote...

dextercorvia
2014-06-23, 09:36 AM
Viktor falls scorched and bleeding to the ground.

His sword is a +1 Magebane Quickblade rapier. I'm not going to make you ID that, since I think Mavra would be aware of its properties.
I'm honestly not familiar with his armor, but it appears to be a refluffed mithril chain shirt. Incidentally that brings his prespent WBL (something I didn't double check when I took over) to over 9475gp. It seems that Entaris was not fond of playing by the rules by a long stretch. I might have double checked, if he had ever actually used the sword.
405gp
the black onyx
the pendant
a magical arrow
the wand
a silver dagger

He is at -2

miinstrel
2014-06-23, 09:53 AM
"I estimate our odds of defeating the dragon have increased significantly for the low price of one arrow."

Socratov
2014-06-23, 09:57 AM
I lay his possessions aside of the loot he found between the skeletons. I bind his hands (take 20 while he is uncounscious, results in 24 (+2 from silk rope)) I pull the arrow out of his torso, and using my surgical tools I stitch the wound shut.

profession(coroner): take 20+4=24 to make sure a scar is left as a reminder in the shape of the logo of the Ignus.

Ok, guys, here is who it will go down. We will not kill him. I patched his wound up with a reminder. Llarimar, you will put him to sleep, then heal him enough he can get out alive. We will leave his hands bound with his dagger between them so when he wakes up he can get out and go on his merry way. He will get the gold of the ghast and we get the toys. Also he will get 200 gold from the loot we have found so far.

We, meanwhile, will start looking for the dragon. I'd like for Mal to carry around our sweetheart Llarimar so he can pray for new spells and be fresh for our confrontation with the dragon because I think we need every wound sealing bit we can get our hands on. But first we identify the new toys.

Still detect magic on, I look at them (use whichever applies)

Knowledge Arcana:
Arrow: [roll0]
Wand: [roll1]
Pendant: [roll2]

Spellcraft:
Arrow: [roll3]
Wand: [roll4]
pendant: [roll5]

Stormageddon
2014-06-23, 01:37 PM
Jade looks down at this at his fallen foe.

It was the smart move. Can't let people take advantage of you like that though. If he had told just one person about that, then that person told 5 more people, and so on we could get a rep that tells people they can just walk all over us.

Jade thinks back to her own predictment.

Then one day you met a man who thinks they can own you, and sometimes they do... Trust me you don't want that for yourself... I suggest we carry on. Even with the healing and dagger I do not imagine his chances of survival are that high, but then he made his choices.

miinstrel
2014-06-23, 02:48 PM
"That is an acceptable plan, though I'm unsure if Llarimar will be comfortable in my arms." He assists with getting Viktor in place before continuing down the tunnel. If Llarimar wants to be carried Mal is willing to do so.

600g split out to Viktor on the group loot sheet.

Idk about you guys, but I certainly couldn't rest while being carried :P. Plus prepping new spells requires 8 hours of rest. I doubt we'll be walking that long.

dextercorvia
2014-06-23, 04:48 PM
You missed the roll on the Arrow, but retries seem fine with Detect Magic, and there is no limit to how often you can use it, so I went ahead and took 20 on that one for you.

Spellcraft:
Arrow: Moderate Conjuration (this is what was poking out of the bottom of his coat)
Wand: Faint Necromancy
pendant: No magic aura

Idk about you guys, but I certainly couldn't rest while being carried :P. Plus prepping new spells requires 8 hours of rest. I doubt we'll be walking that long.

This would not be restful at all. Llarimar said he can take a couple more fights. This is your first outing. I wasn't planning on an endurance run. Completely OOC, I think you guys will be okay.

He is stabilized. There is no way I know of to bring him above 0 and leave him unconscious without dealing non-lethal damage to him after waking him up. He is only at -2. That means (since he has been tended to by a healer) he will heal enough to wake up within the next 8 hours. It might be sooner if he makes his rolls (10% chance per hour). If you tuck him into an alcove, it is even possible no one will notice him until then.

Dorian Gray
2014-06-23, 04:54 PM
Llarimar heals the bound Viktor with a weak healing spell (cure minor for only 1). The sorcerer slowly opens his eyes, groaning and twisting in his confines for a few seconds- before Llarimar clubs him across the forehead with a two inch thick quarterstaff.

"Ass."

Coup de grace? Non-lethal CDG? Whatever it is, I'm doing enough nonlethal damage to knock him out. I'll hit him multiple times if I have to. Maybe just because I want to.

dextercorvia
2014-06-23, 09:35 PM
Viktor slumps back into unconsciousness.

He'll be out for an hour or two. Let me know if there's any thing you want to do before you proceed.

Everyone take 100 XP for excellent roleplay in taking care of a difficult situation.

miinstrel
2014-06-24, 12:29 AM
We've covered everything for Mal. I'm ready to move forward

Socratov
2014-06-24, 04:54 PM
I storm off into the direction we were going before we were rudely interrupted by the ghast. People may approach/contact on their own risk. Every skull within sight gets shattered into pieces using baleful utterance (shattering an object of max 30 lbs). It would be safe to say that frustrations are in the process of being vented.

dextercorvia
2014-06-24, 10:05 PM
Eventually Viktor and the ghast's remains are tucked out of the way, and Mavra runs out of skulls that she can see well enough to shatter. You all line up and push forward. As you pass out of the catacombs you come to tunnels which are softly lit with lichen. The lights still help you make out details, but it isn't quite so oppressively dark. The decline is steeper for a time, but still easily passable. The passage empties into a large round room. The floor slopes toward the middle of the room, and there is a small pool at the center of the depression. The moss grows thick around this room, and the light is good enough to read by. There is a doorway carved into the far wall. You can see light from the next room, and you hear the sounds that someone is in there.

Stormageddon
2014-06-25, 02:57 PM
Jade puts her fingure over her mouth to indecate silence. Jade sneaks over to the door to examine it and listen at the doorway.

Listen [roll]1d20+5
Spot [roll0]
Search [roll1]
Move silently [roll2]

dextercorvia
2014-06-25, 10:20 PM
You hear the sounds of hushed conversation. The participants seem to be speaking draconic.

Socratov
2014-06-26, 05:06 AM
*whisper*Jade, what do you hear?

Stormageddon
2014-06-26, 12:37 PM
*Whispering Back* People talking in Draconic. I think we are getting close.

Socratov
2014-06-26, 12:39 PM
*whisper*what are they saying, or don't you speak draconic? If not, please repeat the sounds or words and I'll try making something of it.

dextercorvia
2014-06-26, 01:47 PM
Jade can't make out the details. She heard something about getting a beer when things settle out.

miinstrel
2014-06-26, 01:57 PM
"Should we not ask them if they have seen a dragon?" he whispers.

Stormageddon
2014-06-26, 03:37 PM
I can't quite out what they are saying.. *Tries to repeat the sounds unsuccessfully* Based on past encounters in this place I doubt we could get a Friendly response to our quarry. However if I knew what they looked like that.... might be helpful. *Jade checks the door for locks.

OCC if unlocked Jade will peek to see if she can spot one of the men with out being spoted.

[roll0] hide
[roll1] Move silently
Not sure if you need anything else

If locked opening lock [roll2]

Dorian Gray
2014-06-26, 04:13 PM
"Well, send me in first if we have to burst in. I'm a likable guy, I don't think they'll hurt me if they know me."

Llarimar whispers quietly as he sidles up towards the front.

dextercorvia
2014-06-26, 04:30 PM
It is an open doorway, not a door. Jade is not able to spot anyone, and Llarimar can't make out the conversation. As you all get closer to the archway, the chatter breaks off in the room beyond.

Socratov
2014-06-27, 07:14 AM
Crap.

Mavra composes herself and brandishes a polite smile, stepping in behind Llarimar.

Well, here we go, let's kiss some ass.

dextercorvia
2014-06-27, 03:00 PM
You enter the next room, a large underground gallery. From the entrance there is 20 feet before a large dropoff. A bridge crosses the 15 foot gap, to a similar area on the other side. If you get closer, you see that the drop is 40 feet down into water. A barricade has been erected on the far side of the chasm, and behind it are a couple of familiar faces, and one unfamiliar one. Kurtahk, and another kobold with more delicate features are peering up over the wall. The two orcs you met earlier are crouched on either side of the bridge, each has a crossbow trained on the doorway.

Kurtahk begins, By order of Tahk'liss, all passages to Undercity are closed. You must... He breaks off, recognizing you. What? You should have been through here an hour ago. Did you get lost?

The female kobold looks from you to Kurtahk's stunned face. You know these skinbags? Why would they have been here before us? Do you dare to defy father?

No, of course not. I gave them directions long before I received any orders. You have been with me since we received the order to close the gate.

True. Still, they must not pass. Father has forbidden it.

Yes, I'm sorry, your quest will have to wait. I can't let you pass today. Family business you know. My father would never forgive me if I made an exception. Kurtahk shudders at the thought.

Kurtahk seems honestly confused that you took longer to get here than him.

Kurtahk defers to the other kobold totally. He seems infatuated with her, but also afraid, of something.

Except for the crossbows, no one has taken any offensive action. They appear confident that no one would dare to defy Tahk'liss.

miinstrel
2014-06-27, 04:10 PM
[roll0]

Amalgam looks equally bewildered. Kurtahk parted ways and went the opposite direction of them. How did he get over here sooner? Surely the two fights hadn't taken that long.

"We followed your directions down the tunnel. Perhaps we took the wrong fork? Either way my scaly friend, you are aware the dragon came this direction. Does an angry, escaped dragon whose had any number of alchemical experiments performed upon it not threaten your family as well?"

dextercorvia
2014-06-27, 06:16 PM
My family is in grave danger, old friend. Kurtahk starts to explain before the other one can cut him off.

That is none of his business! Father is handling it! You dare to speak of the family to outsiders? Her nostrils flare, and her golden ridge spines stand straight up.

Kurtahk puts a claw in the air.Wen, this is Amalgam. And that over there is the healer that took care of young Pel. Pel would have died without Llarimar. Those young ladies were alone in the grotto. They are aware of the Children. We haven't kept the secret as well as we once did. He turns back to you. When I met you my orders were to get the dragon hunted before anyone made it into Undercity. After I left, I found the rest of the Children -- my above ground cousins -- had been recalled to Undercity. This has never happened in the time we have lived here. Rumors were running all over Undercity. The dragon had made it belowside faster than we thought. Father ordered Mal, Wen, and I to guard against interlopers. On the way here we ran into a party of adventurers. Mal didn't make it.

That's enough. You are questioning the orders of Tahk'liss. Father will not be pleased. Wen cuts him off again. We have our orders. That is enough. Where is your faith?

Socratov
2014-06-28, 12:37 PM
[roll0]

nice!

Kurtahk! How good to see you. Yes, we took a bit longer, we had some stuff to deal with. I'd tell you all about it, but I don't see any comfortable fires and a nice glass of wine around so we'll have to postpone it until a later moment. Your sweetheart of course would be invited.

But now we seem to find ourselves at an impasse: we want the dragon and you won't let us through because someone is going to try and befriend it. We are talking about a young, maybe juvenile dragon with alchemical experiments performed on it. And someone is going to try and befriend it it? I'm not even mad, I'd like to watch it form a the balcony.

Now let's all be reasonable here and think for a moment about what's going to happen here if my friends and I don't walk through and put a halt to this...

Stormageddon
2014-06-29, 10:22 AM
perhaps we can find away for both parties to get what they want? Your god wants the way closed, but the Traveler declares that all roads are open even if some roads are harder then others. Perhaps a compromise can be reached? Is there something we can do for you? If only the "Family" can pass how do we join the "Family"?

Dorian Gray
2014-06-29, 03:40 PM
Llarimar looks crossly at Marva. "I, for one, intend to help the poor creature."

Suddenly, the healer throws open his white cloak, revealing the brilliant white armor beneath and illuminating the entire room in a pristine, creamy white light. "My purpose is to ease suffering and help others. Please, allow me to help you and yours. You gain nothing by refusing me passage."

[roll0]

dextercorvia
2014-06-29, 09:58 PM
*The bold names represent your spots in the conversation, that doesn't mean what follows is solely addressed to you.*

Mavra

I bet you think our people are simple. That we worship any dragon that happens to cross our paths. This could not be further from the truth. This dragon is not just some alchemist's experiment. Our family has been taking care of its own business for centuries, and the only times we've had trouble is when oustiders... Wen stops when Kurtahk interrupts with a raised claw. Her scales dull -- kobold blushing -- as she realizes that this time she was about to share family business.

Jade

Would you truly want to know? To be reborn, to be almost nothing you are now? You are young and have your life ahead of you. There are plenty of other adventures for you.

Llarimar

Perhaps it would be best to allow the healer access. There is liable to be... Kurtahk looks concerned.

Wen redoubles her objections after her earlier slip.Father's orders were clear. None may pass.

Father may not be in charge much longer, if Ssirtahk has his way. And if Father wins, who will heal the Children that stood against him? Wen looks pained at that thought, and shuts up.

Kurtahk turns to you all. The dragon you hunt, is not what we thought this morning. That dragon is my cousin Ssirtahk. I have never met him, I was already living in the city above when he was born. Father has had no other heir live to majority in the last centuries. Even Ssirtahk we thought was dead. Apparently we were wrong, and he has returned to challenge father. He has promised the Children that they can return to Undercity, so some follow him. Some of Father's wives also, are lured by the prospect of a different mate. I think Father sent Wen, Mal, and me away because he was afraid we would lead all the Children to join Ssirtahk. Kurtahk shakes his head. That he would doubt us, though, after all this time...

The Wives and Children of Tahk'liss are meeting now to decide who our leader shall be. It begins with a vote, but I fear war. Still, I am faithful, how can I defy Father's will?

Oh, how I wish we were all sitting around a pub table right now. A pint in each of our hands instead.

Stormageddon
2014-06-29, 10:53 PM
To be reborn? To become something different then everything I was before. Jade Laughs. I think you may find I'm not as young as I would appear.... Also what I appear to be is... Flexible...

Before your eyes Jade's skin starts to turn to bright shiny red scales. Her nose becomes elongated and her eyes turn almost cat like. Her teeth become pointed razors. Wings sprout from her back, and at scaly tail grows down to the ground. Where there was Jade now stands a draconian female.

Socratov
2014-06-30, 07:07 AM
Well, isn't that convenient!

I flash a wicked grin.

So many problems that could be alleviated with a simple solution. If only there was a way to make us emissaries of your father for just today, or some such. WE could negotiate, on behalf of your precious Father, just being neutral in this conflict. It would be a shame if a war broke out between the precious Children. Should push come to shove, literally, then we may have a solution for that as well...

I wave my hands about in a very casual manner

that said, we could just turn around and leave you at each other's throats and come back in a week or so to see the result of your 'negotiations'

I chuckle at that last thought...

dextercorvia
2014-07-02, 10:41 PM
Jade

Kurtahk trills in his throat. The best approximation of a whistle his thin lipped mouth is capable of. That is a nice trick, but you will be quickly recognized as neither a Child, nor a Wife. We are a small community, and everyone will be there.

Mavra

I really do appreciate your offer to help, but disobeying His orders will have dire consequences. Father is not tolerant of disobedience.

Socratov
2014-07-03, 06:50 AM
Well, I hope he is less fond of being eaten by a dragon, becuase barring divine intervention...

Mavra gestures to Llarimar

he is headed that way. Why don't you contact your Father for our proposal? It wouldn't hurt to try, now would it?

Besides, with us at best he wins over Ssirtahk, at worst he loses a couple of emissiaries, for which purpose he can always grab another bunch of adeventurers. Kurtahk, you know I'm talking reason here. This is the win-win situation you have been looking for...

Dorian Gray
2014-07-03, 01:48 PM
"And you need to make a decision, now," Llarimar continues. "That dragon isn't sane. Not totally, at least. If it doesn't get its way fast, it'll start killing, and I imagine it's quite good at that."

Making a snap decision, Llarimar begins walking forward, into the room.

Stormageddon
2014-07-03, 02:28 PM
It is not a trick nor do I require to be recognized as a member of your community. All you need to know is that I have business with that dragon, and I represent a powerful interested party. You have inconvienced my quest by making me expose myself to outsiders; please do not halt it any further. In your words "where is your faith?"

Bluff [roll0]

dextercorvia
2014-07-03, 10:02 PM
I truly believe that you all intend to help. Even those I just met today seem earnest. I will let the healer pass. I would not bring the curse of one who harms a healer on myself. The rest of you can stay here with me until Father sends new orders. The little dragon-kin looks to Wen, who nods. He raises a hand and the orcs relax their crossbows.

Wen moves to the other side of the chamber and casts a spell. She blows on her outstretched hand and a faint breeze wafts down the corridor away from you.

Socratov
2014-07-04, 10:17 AM
*whisper*Llarimar, you know it's dangerous to go alone

miinstrel
2014-07-04, 11:24 AM
"This is suboptimal," Mal says simply, but the Children had rules that must be followed. He watched and waited as Llarimar approached the other side of the chamber.

Stormageddon
2014-07-04, 01:14 PM
How do can we trust that the healer will come to no harm? You said it yourself that there might be war. Who will provide protection if you must stay here?

dextercorvia
2014-07-05, 12:02 AM
You can't. I won't stop him from going on, because of who he is, but I don't recommend traveling these tunnels alone right now. It would be best if he waited with the rest of you for word from my father.

Just a brief time later a wind rushes up the tunnel toward you. The breeze bursts into the room and you hear a voice as if from a distance, "Children, it is time to return for the vote. Bring the outsiders if they will be useful. Take measures if they would hinder our cause."

Kurtahk shows obvious signs of relief. Well that settles it, Wen. Father wants us all to come. He whistles and one orc starts down the passage, with Wen right behind. He motions to the rest of you to take the middle, then Kurtahk and the other orc bring up the rear.

The tunnel beyond the gate twists and turn, and there is a maze of cross passageways. Fortunately the moss continues to light these tunnels. After about 5 minutes of walking you come to another pair of gates like the first, and beyond that you enter the main area of the city. This is a huge gallery. Giant columns span the distance from floor to ceiling. They have been magically shaped to accommodate occupants. Large bubbles of spider silk cling to the walls and ceilings. The streets are crowded with elves (dark and light), deep dwarves, goblinoids of every variety, and even a few non-humanoids.

Wen leads you through the streets to a section of the city with small dome-like protrusions. They look like tents as much as anything else. The largest dome has a sign hanging out front that identifies it as the Dragon's Breath. A crowd of nearly one hundred dragonwrought kobolds is in the street out front of the inn. At the center of the crowd is an ancient looking kobold, and a small black dragon. It is obvious that they have been arguing, but right now they are waiting, looking at the lot of you.

The ancient one speaks, Every kobold must vote. Go inside you two, cast your ballot and be quick.

Where is the third? All must vote, the dragon asks. Kurtahk briefly explains Maltahk's death before ducking inside.

The ancient kobold addresses you, What business do you have here that is so important you would risk my blockade?

Socratov
2014-07-06, 02:19 PM
Mavra steps forward.

Father of the Children, while I love me some spectacle and excitement, I can't help but feel that a certain amount of stability is to be maintained if we are to maintain our respective business intact. Please don't get me wrong, I am all for freedom of religion and in my humble opinion everyone can worship whatever they want be it dragon, alien, bearded man in the sky or half goat minotaur below.

As long as you leave me out of it.

The last couple of days, however, has disrupted these businesses. The place I work and earn an honest living has been swamped with victims of this dragon I see before me. At least that's what my deductions lead me to since I haven't seen, nor heard about any other dragon nearby.

The current victims are disrupting my free time for hobbies and I can't have that. I need to unwind and relax. You!

I point at the dragon

You threaten any and all stability we have left. I get it, you have been abused by the alchemists' guild and now you want revenge. However, destroying this city won't be very useful towards attaining such a goal. Even worse, a gathering of the Children under one banner to take the city by storm will only make sure the Children won't survive. You all have no idea what measures have been made to ensure the survival of this city. No, for that other ways should be better suited. That is, if you know the right people. You would have to do such a thing from the shadows, instead of from out of the open, ow secluded it may be.

Mavra turns around watching all the assembled Children, using the the time to take a pause for dramatic effect

AS for why I want to stop this vote is because the Father here has proven his leadership of the Children is both effective and stable. Like a good family father he looks after his children guiding them in matters of faith and life. I'd like to see his leadership continue and the Children prosper.

That's all.