PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Princess Zelda, The Cleric Archer

argol228
2014-04-14, 03:12 AM
So A friend and I were discussing making Zelda (General zelda, no need to get into more specific ones like skyward sword Zelda or tetra)

The build we came up with is a Cleric Archer. We argued whether Elf should be the race or not As Hylians aren't exactly elves. They are referred to as Human so this is still up for debate.

I have 7 levels to work with for now so I have gone with

Attributes (20 point) (based on elf)
STR: 8
DEX:16
CON: 10
INT: 10
WIS: 18 (+1)
CHA: 14

Light and Glory domains (Knowledge is another possible choice)

Feats
Point blank
Precise shot
Rapid shot
Selective channeling

Traits
Reactionary
Natural Born leader

Funds 23,500

Gear
+2 Longbow -8375
+2 Mithral Breastplate -8200

Goal. to have a decent Archer while providing clerical support.
Searing light and Spear of purity will be fluffed as light arrows
Flame strike as a lvl 5 domain spell will likely be din's fire.
I might put a few ranks into Perform wind instrument even though I only have like 20 skill points to spend >.>

So what do you guys think so far? any suggestions? I can apparently use 3.5 stuff as well.

NoACWarrior
2014-04-14, 03:30 AM
If you want something potentially better to use than searing light, take darkfire (SpC). Its a lvl 3 cleric spell, and you can refluff it to be arrows of invisible flames, or something to that degree.

With darkfire you don't have to worry about casting it every round, since its a round / CL effect. In addition to that if you have righteous might, or anything which raises your BAB, darkfire takes advantage of it by allowing iterative attacks. Heck you can even use darkfire in melee or ranged, however and whenever you want, and the melee version doesn't provoke an AoO.

The thing thats really cool about darkfire is that it is actively seen by those with darkvision, and otherwise is like normal flames in your hands without the light (so imagine just having arrows of raw heat only seen in the darkvision spectrum)

argol228
2014-04-14, 03:38 AM
If you want something potentially better to use than searing light, take darkfire (SpC). Its a lvl 3 cleric spell, and you can refluff it to be arrows of invisible flames, or something to that degree.

With darkfire you don't have to worry about casting it every round, since its a round / CL effect. In addition to that if you have righteous might, or anything which raises your BAB, darkfire takes advantage of it by allowing iterative attacks. Heck you can even use darkfire in melee or ranged, however and whenever you want, and the melee version doesn't provoke an AoO.

The thing thats really cool about darkfire is that it is actively seen by those with darkvision, and otherwise is like normal flames in your hands without the light (so imagine just having arrows of raw heat only seen in the darkvision spectrum)

While you seem to have missed what I was asking. I can refluff these to be Din's fire.

NoACWarrior
2014-04-14, 03:48 AM
sigh, sorry.

As for the architype, I'd pack some kind of divination and some type of telepathy - I'd suggest that you go with the mind or family domains as they provide Telepathic bond (PHB) at 5th level.

Or, you could go something mechanically different than "telling the future" by using spells which enhance your next action or set of actions - sign (SpC) for initiative, heroism (PHB, Courage or Pride Domains) for the general +2 I know what I'm doing, or divine insight (SpC) for a 5 + CL on your next check. If you went with the mind domain, at 3rd level you'd get telepathic bond lesser (SpC) to communicate with link or the heroes.

stack
2014-04-14, 08:07 AM
It's for pathfinder, so go human for the extra feats, then grab channel smite (weak prereq) and guided hand to get wisdom to hit with your diety's favored weapon, assuming you can finagle an appropriate deity. Or just slap guided on the bow, dm permitting. I wouldn't focus so much on channeling since you will need the feats and attributes elsewhere.

Psyren
2014-04-14, 08:17 AM
It's for pathfinder, so go human for the extra feats, then grab channel smite (weak prereq) and guided hand to get wisdom to hit with your diety's favored weapon, assuming you can finagle an appropriate deity. Or just slap guided on the bow, dm permitting. I wouldn't focus so much on channeling since you will need the feats and attributes elsewhere.

Elf (which he seems to want for the Zelda theme) also gets him bow proficiency without dipping though so the human feat might be a wash.

@OP: If you can use 3.5 stuff, get Zen Archery asap. This seems like a feat Zelda would have anyway. Also, see if you can be a Cloistered Cleric, and ask which version of divine power you can use (for the BAB, not the strength.) But definitely use Blessing of Fervor from PF.

Sith_Happens
2014-04-14, 08:24 AM
Hylians are humans for sure. The pointy ears are the only elf-like thing about them.

stack
2014-04-14, 08:36 AM
Clerics are proficient in their diety's favored weapon, so if you can get longbow as such then elf isn't helping you much. Of course zen archery is better if 3.5 is available, but if not channel smite/guided hand works. A three level monk dip does too, but that really sets you back as a cleric.

Psyren
2014-04-14, 10:15 AM
Clerics are proficient in their diety's favored weapon, so if you can get longbow as such then elf isn't helping you much. Of course zen archery is better if 3.5 is available, but if not channel smite/guided hand works. A three level monk dip does too, but that really sets you back as a cleric.

He wants Light and Glory; there might be a deity that grants those and uses a bow but not sure.

Darrin
2014-04-14, 10:38 AM
He wants Light and Glory; there might be a deity that grants those and uses a bow but not sure.

Apollo (Deities & Demigods) might work. Favored weapon: composite longbow, god of light, and... glory isn't too much of a stretch.

Vandria (Races of the Wild) has favored weapon: longbow, War, and *should* have the Glory domain. Elf domain (PB Shot) is also comes in quite handy.

Kudaku
2014-04-14, 12:03 PM

Guided Hand looks good on paper but considering the fairly heavy feat investment I consider it a bit of a trap option for archers. You burn two feats before you can start on archery feats (which is feat intensive) and you still need a decent to high dexterity to qualify for many archer feats - 13 for Rapid Shot and Deadly Aim, 17 for Manyshot and 19 for Improved Precise Shot.

Guided is most likely not intended to work for ranged weapons, but if you have a GM who allows it then definitely pick up a Guided bow.

argol228
2014-04-14, 12:45 PM
Well I can work with Human or Elf. I only have elf stats listed since thats was the draft I was using at the time. as for gods. I might be able to work something out to see if I can use a Personal deity. if not then I will likely have to search for a back up god.

Sith_Happens
2014-04-14, 02:22 PM
Clerics are proficient in their diety's favored weapon,

Only if it's a simple weapon anyways or they have the War domain.

Kudaku
2014-04-14, 02:25 PM
Only if it's a simple weapon anyways or they have the War domain.

Judging by the OP this is a pathfinder cleric - the classification of the weapon doesn't matter, pathfinder clerics are always proficient in their deity's weapon.

Sith_Happens
2014-04-14, 02:27 PM
Judging by the OP this is a pathfinder cleric - the classification of the weapon doesn't matter, pathfinder clerics are always proficient in their deity's weapon.

So they are.

Zaq
2014-04-14, 04:34 PM
You're going to tell me that NONE of Din, Farore, or Nayru have Light and Glory? C'mon. And if Zelda is serving a deity other than that (most likely, all three), she's doing it wrong.

argol228
2014-04-14, 10:17 PM
You're going to tell me that NONE of Din, Farore, or Nayru have Light and Glory? C'mon. And if Zelda is serving a deity other than that (most likely, all three), she's doing it wrong.

I would argue Hylia since each zelda is an incarnation of her.

Mjollnir075
2014-04-14, 11:54 PM
From what I have seen so far, it seems like you are forgetting a major Zelda option.

Sheik! Probably solved by throwing in some Ninja levels, but that might make your build far too stretched out.

I would love to try this character out with Gestalt rules. You could run it Zelda//Sheik.

As for your current build, I think that a Bard Archer might be better suited to Zelda. Perform: Singing or Perform: Wind Instrument (Ocarina) would fit perfectly. She usually is providing backup to Link anyway and Bard's get a few spells that fit the theme pretty well. It's a shame Pathfinder doesn't have a Divine Bard equivalent, otherwise it would be pretty much perfect. I know Bard doesn't have much in the way of blasting spells, but I feel like Zelda didn't really focus on that aspect as much anyway.

A high CHA Bard which focuses on Archery is already pretty well known. If you can throw some Ninja/Rogue in there to emulate Sheik, all the better.

grarrrg
2014-04-15, 01:32 AM
It's a shame Pathfinder doesn't have a Divine Bard equivalent

I know what you mean, but there are a couple options:
Inquisitor, for the "casty skill monkey" type role
and Evangelist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/archetypes/paizo---cleric-archetypes/evangelist) Cleric archetype, for the Performance stuff.

argol228
2014-04-15, 09:50 AM
From what I have seen so far, it seems like you are forgetting a major Zelda option.

Sheik! Probably solved by throwing in some Ninja levels, but that might make your build far too stretched out.

I would love to try this character out with Gestalt rules. You could run it Zelda//Sheik.

As for your current build, I think that a Bard Archer might be better suited to Zelda. Perform: Singing or Perform: Wind Instrument (Ocarina) would fit perfectly. She usually is providing backup to Link anyway and Bard's get a few spells that fit the theme pretty well. It's a shame Pathfinder doesn't have a Divine Bard equivalent, otherwise it would be pretty much perfect. I know Bard doesn't have much in the way of blasting spells, but I feel like Zelda didn't really focus on that aspect as much anyway.

A high CHA Bard which focuses on Archery is already pretty well known. If you can throw some Ninja/Rogue in there to emulate Sheik, all the better.

Sheik would be done with an inquisitor with the Infiltrator archetype. However Sheik is not a major option. only 1 zelda was sheik. I am going for a general incarnation that could fit any Zelda. A bard does not suit either since the OoT is a magic item. not something she uses for her magic. the key features of Zelda are. Divine powers, Wisdom, archery/Light arrows.

Also the game I would use her needs a cleric which is why I came up with the idea to begin with while discussing cleric builds with a friend. we don't need any more melee. nor arcane casters. we however lack non resource heavy Ranged ability and cleric