PDA

View Full Version : As if there weren't enough of them (Elf subraces)

InaVegt
2007-02-07, 11:38 AM
Pure elves (Manwar Quendi)
These traits are in addition to the high elf traits, except where noted.
Fey (elf): pure elves are fey with the elf subtype, this replaces the high elf's type and subtype.
+2 dex, +2 str, +2 int, -2 con: Pure elves are smarter and stronger than high elves, and their grace and frailty is enhanced. These ability mods ARE in addition to the high elf's ability mods.
Prestidigitation (sp): Pure elves can use prestiditation as a spell like ability at will.
LA +1

Magical elves (Ingóleva Quendi)
+2 int, - 2 con: Magical elves are smarter but less gracefull as high elves. These ability mods replace the high elf's ability mods.
Magic proficiency: Magical elves gain spell penetration and spell focus (Spell school of choice) as bonus feats, this replaces the standard elves weapon proficiency.

Small elves (Penedhing)
Small: Small elves are smaller than standard elves, see another small race for details.
+2 dex, -2 str: Small elves are more agile but weaker than High elves. These ability mods ARE in addition to the high elf's ability mods.
Favoured class (rogue): The small elves rogue levels don't count for the purpose of multiclassing penalties.

ampcptlogic
2007-02-07, 12:13 PM
Are the Small Elves of small size or medium size.

This seems to give the Small Elves +4 Dex, -2 Str, -2 Con

Do these subraces have favored classes? I can very easily see the Small Elves favoring Rogue

InaVegt
2007-02-07, 12:20 PM
Are the Small Elves of small size or medium size.

This seems to give the Small Elves +4 Dex, -2 Str, -2 Con

Do these subraces have favored classes? I can very easily see the Small Elves favoring Rogue

Forgot to add the favored class of the small elves (rogue), and they are small size.

Gezina van den Vechte, Fallen celestial, Champion of Hell

Misat
2007-02-07, 03:21 PM
Magical elves (Ingóleva Quendi)
[/B]These traits are in addition to the high elf traits, except where noted.
+2 int, - 2 con: Magical elves are smarter but less gracefull as high elves. These ability mods replace the high elf's ability mods.
Magic proficiency: Magical elves gain spell penetration and spell focus (all) as bonus feats, this replaces the standard elves weapon proficiency.

These seem way too powerful for no level adjustment. I mean 2 plus feats, that spell focus all means it's multiple feats doesn't it?, seems very much so better than some weapon use. Honestly losing the weapons isn't even a downside for a mage. I just don't know about these ones.

InaVegt
2007-02-07, 03:35 PM
These seem way too powerful for no level adjustment. I mean 2 plus feats, that spell focus all means it's multiple feats doesn't it?, seems very much so better than some weapon use. Honestly losing the weapons isn't even a downside for a mage. I just don't know about these ones.
Spell focus, while usefull, isn't that powerfull. It's basically just a flat +1 to the DCs of all your spells which doesn't stack for spell focus and qualifies you for greater spell focus. And the ability to use bows is IMNSHO very usefull, they're a lot better than crossbows and especcially at low levels gives you something to use after you've used your spells. A flat +1 to all spell DC's might seem less powerfull, but is in fact more powerfull (giving you the ability to both spell focus and greater spell focus a school for a total of +3). Spell focus is not a very powerfull feat, as it shouldn't be.

Catch
2007-02-07, 05:59 PM
Your "Magical Elves" exist in the Forgotten Realms setting, called Sun Elves.

They're also far more balanced. No race should have the equivalent of nine free feats. Yes, that's right. Spell Focus for every school of magic and Spell Penetration. With +2 int and +1 to all spell DC's, this would be the ultimate race for arcane casters.

When creating a race, you have to take desirability into consideration. If, with the racial bonus you've given, said race will always be a better choice than any other, you've unbalanced the race dichotomy.

Misplaced_Jedi
2007-02-07, 07:56 PM
I think the problem, Gezina, is that all of those free feats can be used as prerequisites. I think it would be comparable to Elves getting Weapon Focus instead of Weapon Proficiency. Instead, you could just add +1 to the DC of spells they cast. Also, when it comes to the Pure Elves, I don't know if it will work having a net -4 Con. If they are supposed to be stronger, hardier usually follows suit, and even were that not the case it seems like it would just end up being very, very difficult to stay alive with an average wizard's 1d4-2 hitpoints. On the other hand I love the names.

Rama_Lei
2007-02-07, 09:48 PM
I think the pure elves merit a LA +2

InaVegt
2007-02-08, 03:36 AM
Okay, replaced Spell focus (all) with spell focus (school of choice) at the magic elves. And Rama, why do you think the pure elves should have LA +2?