PDA

View Full Version : Magic, anyone?

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-07, 11:47 AM
The last Magic thread died, so I thought I'd start a new one. Fell free to post deck ideas, criticize other's decks and generally discuss Magic.

Okay, the reason I really started the thread: My dck. Please critique. Its r/g beatdown.

Land
1x Fungal Reaches
8x Mountain
8x Forest
1x Terramorphic Expanse
1x Grull Turf

Artifacts
1x Paradise Plume

Instants/Sorcery
2x Fury Charm
1x Evolution Charm
3x Savage Twister
2x Giant Growth
2x Brute Force
1x Gather Courage
1x Sundering Vitae
1x Krosan Grip
2x Boom//Bust

Creatures
1x Skarrgan Skybreaker
1x Burning Tree Bloodscale
2x Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
1x Jeddit Ojanen of Efrava
2x Gruul Guildmage
2x Bloodscale Prowler
3x Keldon Marauder
1x Reckless Wurm
3x Skarrgan Pit-skulk
1x Prodigal Pyromancer
1x Vulshok Sorcerer

Enchantments
2x Galvanic Arc
2x Dust Carona
2x Fertile Ground

So, just how bad is it?

WampaX
2007-02-07, 12:01 PM
Well, the way I see it, you need more Kird Apes and swap out those regular Mountains for Arabian Knights Mountains.

Yeah . . . good times, good times.

Seriously, I have no advice to give, I just love coming into these threads and noticing that the basic lands are about the only cards I recognize now. :smallconfused:

Amotis
2007-02-07, 12:03 PM
Seriously, I have no advice to give, I just love coming into these threads and noticing that the basic lands are about the only cards I recognize now. :smallconfused:

Seriously. And I only stopped playing type 2 when Scourge came out. I'm not even that old.

Legoman
2007-02-07, 01:13 PM
That's not a deck.

Crush of Wurms, turn 5? That's a deck.

Artanis
2007-02-07, 01:26 PM
Just to jump on the bandwagon...

I stopped playing somewhere during the Urza's Saga. I had a pretty nasty deck that involved getting out tramplers with 6+ attack on turn 3 or 4 :smallcool:. But alas, I'd been spoiled by starting back while they still printed sets for players - like Fallen Empires and Chronicles - and just didn't care for how every set put more and more emphasis on the rare cards and made the commons and uncommons more and more useless...and then foil cards were just the straw that broke the camel's back :smallfrown:

So yeah...I recognize four cards in the OP's deck, and only know what three of those do :smalltongue:

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-07, 01:26 PM
Pray tell.

Artanis
2007-02-07, 01:49 PM
Pray tell.
About my deck, or about the cards I recognized?

Exachix
2007-02-07, 01:57 PM
Nice deck, from the outset.

What I would do is to sort your cards by Mana cost (converted). See where you have gaps. For Example, if you have no 1 mana cost cards.

I just got Planar Chaos today =). But, here's the deck I made yesterday. Still need to tweek with Planar Chaos Cards. I'll edit my post, or add another, for my deck. =). Soon!

Amotis
2007-02-07, 01:59 PM
Well I have no idea what the cards do but years of magic say "buy 4-of's!" Seriously, you need to draw good cards. One-of's don't help.

Glaivemaster
2007-02-07, 05:58 PM
As a casual gamer, I like one-ofs, sometimes. It may not add to the consistency of a deck, but it adds a helluva lot more variation. That, and I can't afford or be bothered to get four of any cards

Amotis
2007-02-07, 09:11 PM
Well it's not fair to critque casual decks. People build 'em however they want. But if he wants to compete he needs to do the standard stuff to acutally have a chance.

Warlord
2007-02-07, 10:18 PM
This is going to sound so backwards to you regular players. I haven't touched my deck in over a decade. I also haven't collected cards in as long. The most recent expansion set I bought was Fallen Kingdoms! Otherwise, most of my stuff is third ed!

Still keep 'em, though.

Amotis
2007-02-08, 12:14 AM
I sold mine for a hella lot. I got like five bills. It was awesome and sad at the same time.

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-08, 03:54 AM
Its a casual deck, but there's a constructed tournament coming up and I aim to do well. My problem is lack of funds. I haven't got the money to get 4-ofs. I have lots of Commons and UIncommons, mostly from Ravnica block, and the one with the two gears, which I can't remember the name of.

Ebon_Drake
2007-02-08, 10:00 AM
Land
1x Fungal Reaches
8x Mountain
8x Forest
1x Terramorphic Expanse
1x Grull Turf

Artifacts
1x Paradise Plume

Instants/Sorcery
2x Fury Charm
1x Evolution Charm
3x Savage Twister
2x Giant Growth
2x Brute Force
1x Gather Courage
1x Sundering Vitae
1x Krosan Grip
2x Boom//Bust

Creatures
1x Skarrgan Skybreaker
1x Burning Tree Bloodscale
2x Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
1x Jeddit Ojanen of Efrava
2x Gruul Guildmage
2x Bloodscale Prowler
3x Keldon Marauder
1x Reckless Wurm
3x Skarrgan Pit-skulk
1x Prodigal Pyromancer
1x Vulshok Sorcerer

Enchantments
2x Galvanic Arc
2x Dust Carona
2x Fertile Ground

Firstly, you need more land. 19 isn't enough for a deck with 6 cc cards in it, and with Jaya Ballard and Gruul Guildmage drawing excess lands isn't much of an issue. About 23 or 24 would be best.

Yavimaya Dryad would be worthwhile, as its mana acceleration, thins your deck, is evasive and works nicely with Jedit Ojanen. On the opposite side is Boom/Bust, as the deck isn't dedicated to land destruction so it doesn't really help your strategy. You may want a bit of land destruction on the sideboard to hit utility lands like Prahv, plus the awesome Cryoclasm for U/W matches, but Bust seems unnecessary and there are better alternatives to Boom.

It could do with some more reach, like Seal of Fire, Char or Disintegrate/Demonfire, since it looks like it could get stuck if the ground battle locks up. Krosan Grip and Sundering Vitae should be on the sideboard, since there aren't too many dangerous enchantments out there at the moment (if they're running any that wreck you then you can side in Grip etc. for game 2,) plus Fury Charm is good utility against artifacts that isn't completely dead if they're not using any. Dust Corona isn't great, Moldervine cloak is far superior, with Undying Rage being an adequate alternative. However, you could perhaps have Dust Corona on the sideboard if your opponent is running Sacred Mesa? Vulshok Sorcerer and Fertile Ground aren't actually in Standard now, so you can't use them for a Standard tourney.

I really like Keldon Marauders, but they could perhaps be replaced by Silhana Ledgewalker (maybe on the sideboard?) Dryad Sophisticate is a sideboard consideration if you're up against a lot of nonbasic lands (quite likely.) Either the Sophisticate or the Ledgewalker would also make servicable alternatives to Yavimaya Dryad if you were struggling to get ahold of those. Skarrgan Skybreaker is another potential cut, but I'm too enamoured with throwing a load of pump spells on it then flinging it for the win. A second copy of Jedit would be an automatic replacement for it, though.

In summary:
In (19): 1x Forest, 4x Yavimaya dryad, 4x Moldervine Cloak, 1x Terramorphic Expanse, 1x Gruul Turf, 1x Skarrg, the Rage Pits, 3x Seal of Fire, 2x Scorched Rusalka, 2x Blaze/Disintegrate/Demonfire (depending on availability, Demonfire being the best but priced accordingly)

Out (19): 1x Vulshok Sorcerer, 2x fertile ground, 2x Dust Corona, 3x Skarrgan Pit-Skulk, 2x Bloodscale Prowler, 2x Boom/Bust, 1x Krosan Grip, 1x Sundering Vitae, 1x Paradise Plume, 1x Burning-Tree Bloodscale, 1x Gather Courage, 1x Prodigal Pyromancer, 1x Keldon Marauder.

Sideboard (15): 4x Krosan Grip (or equivalent), 2x Dryad Sophisticate, 2x Silhana Ledgewalker, 2x Dust Corona, 1x Wreak havoc, 2x Cryoclasm 2x Sudden Shock

The idea behind these choices is that you use Yavimaya Dryad to give your opponent a forest, then buff the dryad up with Moldervine Cloaks and apply liberal forestwalk beatings. This would also set up Jedit Ojanen and his cat warrior tokens mid-game, with direct damage as an alternate win condition. I don't know how well it would work and it definitely needs fine-tuning through playtesting (especially the sideboard and mana base,) but it could be interesting to play. Hope that doesn't seem too strong a critique and has perhaps given you some ideas to work on.

Artanis
2007-02-08, 10:31 AM
This is going to sound so backwards to you regular players. I haven't touched my deck in over a decade. I also haven't collected cards in as long. The most recent expansion set I bought was Fallen Kingdoms! Otherwise, most of my stuff is third ed!

Still keep 'em, though.
Man, Fallen Empires was my favorite set! It gets a bad rap because there were no rare cards, but the best part about it was that there were no rare cards! You could get some really, REALLY good cards - like Goblin Grenade, Aeolipile, Hymn to Tourach, Breeding Pit, and Order of the Ebon Hand - without spending hundreds of dollars to get them.

You quit at a really good time though. Sets like Fallen Empires were a dying breed, and not too long after, commons and uncommons got worse and worse while rares got better and better. By the time I quit, there was little point in buying packs anymore since just buying the rares straight up would get you the same number of actually usable cards with a lot less randomness in the process.

Exachix
2007-02-08, 11:51 AM
Looking through Planar Chaos cards:-
Radha, Heir to Keld is a nice 2-mana card that would give you mana. Rare though.

After Playing a deck with Jedit in it, he's a very nice card. Couple it with a card that can change target land to a forest.

Simian Spirit guide is a nice one-shot first turn get one red mana. Play a forest too and you'll have Radha out on turn one.

But, I'm not that good a player or builder myself, so this information may not be entirely reliable.

tgva8889
2007-02-08, 10:07 PM
I play Magic professionally. By that I mean, I spend Saturdays traveling to play in events which are officially Sanctioned by the DCI, or Duelists Convocation International, who are basically the international judging system for Wizards of the Coast. I'm not the best player in my area (in fact, I'm rather bad compared to a lot of players), but for a kid still in grade school, I'm pretty good.

The packs have started to get good now. Planar Chaos packs can have anywhere from 1 to 3 rares in them now (though most of them aren't more than $5), and a bunch of old classics were reprinted in Time Spiral (you can ask me, I've memorized almost all the cards from Invasion up), and Ravnica was an awesome set. Dual Lands returned!

If you want to play competitively, you either have to buy individual cards, trade a lot, or keep a shared card pool with another person. There's no doubt about that. That's the advancements in the Internet for you. Otherwise, you just won't be able to win. Netdecking, or stealing decklists from the net, is also a popular practice which I admit I have done before, but I hate doing it. I love playing my own decks.

Hey, a lot of rares suck right now, just so you know.

The real fun in the game for me is playing in Limited events, where you basically open a couple packs and build a 40 card deck using the cards you open and any number of basic land cards. It's a rather fun experience.

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-09, 02:30 PM
On Boom//Bust: That card has won me many games with this deck. I want more. I get into a superior position on the field, then Bust all lands away. I've won many a game like that.

Exachix
2007-02-09, 02:35 PM
The real fun in the game for me is playing in Limited events, where you basically open a couple packs and build a 40 card deck using the cards you open and any number of basic land cards. It's a rather fun experience.

AHH! I play in those, but I find it hard to make a good deck to play with. But it's still fun to play in, still fun.

Legoman
2007-02-09, 03:52 PM
Pray tell.

I don't have the deck on me, but it's something like this:

Turn 1: Utopia Sprawl: Red. (GR, EOT)
Turn 2: Kodama's Reach. (GGGR, EOT)
Turn 3: Rampant Growth x2 (GGGRRBB)
Turn 4: Rampant Growth/ Elf / Kodama / Utopia Sprawl + Tutor (8 mana)
Turn 5: Crush.
Turn 6: Mana Accel.
Turn 7: Flashback Crush, Hard-cast Curse of the Cabal, etc.

It's basically all big fatties (Crush, Bloodfire Colossus, Curse of the Cabal, Kodama, etc.) and mana accel. Simple, but effective. I usually get hit with a wrath or two, but then flashback the Crush, etc. It's really more of a 'party-deck,' since if you can get your 18 power of wurms to stick, you're liable to own pretty thoroughly.

TheThan
2007-02-09, 04:26 PM
That's not a deck.

Crush of Wurms, turn 5? That's a deck.

Ha! I’ll see that and raise you a turn three or four Akroma Angel of Wrath.

But seriously I’m a casual player. I run a lot of decks and some more powerful than others. But since I play to have fun, it’s all-good, despite spending far too much money on the game.

I got into the game back in onslaught so it’s nice to see the different variety of cards out now. As a result I tend to like tribal decks (think I have three or four). I despise standard format, I’ve had bad experiences with tournaments and the format doesn’t let me play with all these older cool cards I spent money on. Not that the new sets are bad, its that I like the old stuff more.

tgva8889
2007-02-09, 04:36 PM

And I'll raise you a Turns 2-10 Counterspells. Or perhaps Turn 3-infinity, if I have an Isochron Scepter.

There's a lot of really good stuff that can be done. It's not foolproof, even if it's powerful.

Amotis
2007-02-09, 04:37 PM
Especially if it deals with creatures.

TheThan
2007-02-09, 07:26 PM
I’ve consistently beaten infinite counter spell decks before so I’m not really afraid of them. Besides there are FAR more interesting things you can do with Isochron Scepter, like Abeyance (http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=9844) or Humble (http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=7778) for instance. Or if you want to go with blue we have awesome cards like Early Frost (http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=27403) or Reality Ripple (http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=10700). Just to name a few.
Counterspell is a natural choice for the Isochron Scepter, its easy to pull off, its effective but its not very stylish, and face it style counts.

The great thing about magic is its nearly infinite variety; several people can look at the same card and each one see a different use for it.

Amotis
2007-02-09, 07:49 PM
Infinate counter decks arn't good, he was just making a point. That well...there's a counter for everything. Counterspell being the most blunt one there is.

I play 1.5 now though. This cool RBU 'Tog varient. I won the 3.5 tourny at comic con a few years back.

TheThan
2007-02-09, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I know nothing’s fool proof. But I guess I just get a little proud when it comes to magic. I’ve tried tournaments before and I had a few bad experiences with them so nowadays I stay away from ‘em and I get frustrated when I look at the current metagame, (Oh look the same three decks are winning that always are winning… I guess I’ll go out and copy them so I can at least stand a chance. Yuck). So now I usually just play with friends.

Amotis
2007-02-09, 08:29 PM
Yeah, it's a pretty turbulent scene. Partly why I got out (I was one of the two pro gamers out of the mostly casual group and they resented us...). The other half being a money thing. I was winning money and immediately spending it booster packs in the same place.

1.5 is pretty varied and a hella lot of stuff to play against (from casual gamers who have pretty bad decks to the super pro people). Which is fun.

Ebon_Drake
2007-02-10, 08:13 AM
On Boom//Bust: That card has won me many games with this deck. I want more. I get into a superior position on the field, then Bust all lands away. I've won many a game like that.

OK, then you might want to go for more alternate mana sources and land destruction, so that Boom/Bust won't affect your side so much and you can then keep your opponent mana-screwed. Llanowar Elves and Stone Rain would be the classics, but there are plenty of other reasonable choices.

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-11, 06:13 AM
I have two weatherseed totems, and I think I have a silhana starfletcher somewhere. The problem id finding stuuff to rop. Irecently added another Brute Force and 3 more Evo charms, but I can't remember what I dropped for them.

Glaivemaster
2007-02-11, 12:10 PM

Turn three? Pathetic. Try turn 1

Swamp -->B
dark ritual -->BBB
Exhume -->Respond: One With Nothing
Akroma beats (or for preference, an interesting creature)

Legoman
2007-02-13, 01:47 AM
Man, dark rit's can burn in hades. Extended is broke enough for me.

Dumbledore lives
2007-02-13, 09:11 AM
I can't find it but I had an awesome deck that was all forests. It had a bunch of elves, muscle bursts, lands, and other stat boosting cards. Its basic idea was to get a bunch of 1/1s on the field and then power them up, which worked, I got one up to 12/12. I also have a troll of teli-jad to regenerate green creatures.

DEMONhunter
2007-02-16, 07:55 AM
Since we're on the subject of critiquing decks, would anyone consider looking mine? Black/White, mostly cards from the Ravnica block. I think its 62 cards, feel free to correct me I added it up kind of quickly.

Land

10x Swamps
10x Plains
2x Orzhov Basilisca
1x Orzhova, Church of DealsCreatures

4x Mourning Thrull
3x Slith Ascendant
1x Teysa, Orzhov Scion
2x Urborg Syphon-Mage
4x Souls of the Faultless
1x Ghost Council Orzhova
4x Blind Hunter
4x Agent of Masks
2x Skeletal VampireEnchantments

4x Pillory of the Sleepless
4x Hissing Miasma
4x Strands of Undeath
2x Ivory Mask

Galorien
2007-02-21, 01:41 AM
Ok heres 2 of my decks, what do you think?, they work well but improvement is always welcome.
First is my black zombie "everyone-dies" deck

Lands
17 x swamps

Creatures
3 x Shepard of Rot
2 x Undead Warchief
3 x Festering Goblin
3 x Soulless One
2 x Noxious Ghoul
1 x Twisted Abomination
3 x Vengeful Dead
4 x Gempalm Polluter
4 x Nantuko Husk
3 x Carrion Feeder

Spells
2 x Empty the Catacombs
4 x Cruel revival
3 x Aphetto dredging
4 x Dark Ritual
4 x Songs of the damned
4 x Patriarch's Bidding

Enchantment
2 x pestilence

And the other is a stasis deck

Lands
7 x Plains
11 x Islands
4 x Forsaken City

Creatures
4 x Diving griffin

Spells
1 x Daze
4 x Gush
4 x Accumulated knowledge
1 x Ensnare
4 x Mana Leak
4 x Counterspell
1 x Brainstorm
2 x Rescue
3 x Boomerang
1 x Turnabout

Enchantmens
1 x Pendrell mists
3 x Stasis
3 x Kismet

Artifacts
2 x Chronatog Totem
2 x Feldon's Cane

so what do ya think?

tgva8889
2007-02-21, 01:06 PM
First things first, some suggestions to everying trying to build a deck:

1. Get cards in sets of four. If it's a good common, you can probably get about 4 for a dollar, tops. Usually, you can get 4 for about half that, sometimes even a quarter. Really, having 4 Shepard of Rot will make your zombie deck even better, or having 4 Daze to let your deck counter even more spells without mana.

2. Make sure you know what your deck is trying to do, and that all your cards fit that goal. For example, Rescue might seem like a good card, but it has nothing to do with what your deck is trying to do, which is lock your opponent out with Stasis and attack them for the win with a Diving Griffin. If you were to replace it with a few Counterspells or perhaps Unsummon, it would be much better for you.

3. Make sure every card in your deck has a purpose. For example, Stasis for your combo, Shepard for winning, Patriarch's Bidding to recur your army, etc.

4. Remove superfluous cards. Appheto Dredging is nice, but you already have Empty the Catacombs, Patriarch's Bidding, and Cruel Revival. Do you really need all that recursion?

Also, Ivory Mask is an Enchantment, not an Artifact. It clearly says Enchantment.

DEMONhunter, what is your deck trying to do? If it's slowly kill your opponent with the draining abilities, then Ivory Mask seems narrow. Also, Slith Ascendent seems completely random. Perhaps replace it with more Syphon-Mages or lands, or maybe just some more defense, like Pacifism.

The Syphon-Mage might be problematic without any way to abuse the fact that he's sending guys to your graveyard. Perhaps, if you can abuse it with Debtor's Knell or some madness cards.

Galorien
2007-02-21, 02:39 PM
rescues are used to return stasis back to my hand at the end of an opponents turn so i can untap my stuff. at the current i have few other things to do that. and if i took anything out it would be boomerang because its rescue, but for UU instead of U

DEMONhunter
2007-02-22, 12:27 PM
Yes, slow life draining sums up the deck's function well. And sorry about the ivory mask bit, I messed up there.
On the whole, I think I'll follow your advice about the Slith Ascendant. The trouble is acquiring cards with my meagre budget, so Syphon-Mages are more likely than debtors knell for the moment, as much as that card would help.
As for the bit about the mask, my regular group favours burn decks. When I get the last of the cards I need, I'll probably sideboard it against decks that don't target me as much.

tgva8889
2007-02-22, 02:52 PM
Yes, slow life draining sums up the deck's function well. And sorry about the ivory mask bit, I messed up there.
On the whole, I think I'll follow your advice about the Slith Ascendant. The trouble is acquiring cards with my meagre budget, so Syphon-Mages are more likely than debtors knell for the moment, as much as that card would help.
As for the bit about the mask, my regular group favours burn decks. When I get the last of the cards I need, I'll probably sideboard it against decks that don't target me as much.

Well, depending on your play group, different cards are good or bad. Your deck seems well tuned to deal with burn decks. May I suggest a card that will protect all your creatures, however? If you can protect your creatures from the burn as well, you'll be fine. I don't particularly have any ideas, though. Perhaps Shelter, though more likely not.

As for the rescues, sorry I forgot what that card did, my bad. You know, there exists a more recent card combination which performs a function similar to Stasis, except only for your opponents, at a cost of a mere 1U a turn. It might be a bit costly, though.

Are the Canes really necessary? I mean, it's nice to shuffle your 'yard back into your deck, but perhaps not truely necessary if you attack them for the kill.

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-22, 03:39 PM
They'er good in side-boards. They make the players of decking-decks cry.

tgva8889
2007-02-22, 07:21 PM
They'er good in side-boards. They make the players of decking-decks cry.

I'm not denying they're good: Rather, questioning whether they are necessary in the deck, because of the plan.

DEMONhunter
2007-02-23, 10:31 AM
Personally, I'd have to say yes. It needs some way of dealing with spells that target me, burn or otherwise. Since I have enough defence creaturewise (Souls of the Faultless, Hissing Miasma, etc), it makes things difficult.

May I suggest a card that will protect all your creatures, however? If you can protect your creatures from the burn as well, you'll be fine. I don't particularly have any ideas, though. Perhaps Shelter, though more likely not.
Hmm. Perhaps Pentarch Ward would be more effective (and probably cheaper to acquire), thinking along those lines?

bingo_bob
2007-03-02, 10:44 PM
Here's my main deck, a Zombie Regeneration deck that has shown consistent winningness against the people I usually play with. It's kind of become the benchmark in our group for what qualifies as a 'good' deck. What do you think?

LAND:
26x Swamp

CREATURES:
1x Boneknitter
1x Childhood Horror
1x Commander Greven il-Vec
2x Corpse Harvester
1x Dauthi Marauder
1x Deathmark Prelate
1x Dripping Dead
2x Dross Prowler
2x Festering Goblin
1x Frightcrawler
2x Frightshroud Courier
1x Gempalm Polluter
1x Gutless Ghoul
2x Hand of Cruelty
1x Laquatus's Champion
1x Noxious Ghoul
1x Sanguine Guard
1x Severed Legion
1x Shepherd of Rot
1x Soulless One
1x Urborg Syphon Mage
2x Withered Wretch

SORCERIES/ARTIFACTS/INSTANTS/ENCHANTMENTS
1x Barter in Blood
1x Call to the Netherworld
1x Consume Spirit
1x Cruel Revival
1x Cryptic Gateway
1x Curse of the Cabal
1x Dead Ringers
2x Expunge
1x Festering Wound
1x Ghastly Demise
1x Grim Harvest
2x Last Gasp
1x Plague Wind
1x Seal of Doom
1x Sever Soul
1x Strands of Undeath
1x Strangling Soot
1x Syphon Mind
2x Syphon Soul
Total: 77 Cards...
SIDEBOARD:
1x Clockwork Hydra
1x Damping Matrix
1x Enemy of the Guildpact
1x Gravedigger
1x Hivestone
1x Junktroller
1x Leaden Myr
1x Necropotence
1x Netherborn Phalanx
1x Phyrexian Plaguelord
1x Phyrexian Totem
1x Soul Scourge
1x Volrath the Fallen
1x Voltaic Construct
1x Zombie Assassin
Total: 15 Cards

Yes, I know I have lots and lots of one-ofs. I like it that way...

Oh, and the general way the deck runs is to get out a Corpse Harvester, sacrifice some zombie, grab Boneknitter and a Swamp, and start a crazy regen combo, where I can get pretty much anything I need. Mass removal, extra life, more zombies... I do need more Boneknitters and Corpse Harvesters, though...

Reinboom
2007-03-03, 07:25 AM
Inconsistent and too many 1 ofs.
The idea of going strict 4 ofs or close to with a 60 card deck is to maximize the chances of drawing the correct card within a certain number of turns. This is essential for combo decks.
Also, a very important thing about regeneration is that regeneration isn't a absolute prevent from death, it's a prevention/replacement to destruction effects. Regeneration gets around normally only destroy target ___ or damage type destruction. Sacrifice and -X/-X (if the creature's toughness reaches 0) instead place the creature in to the graveyard, not destroy it. Thus, you can not regenerate a sacrificed creature.

Some advice towards deck building to expand on the minimalization of cards:
For aggro or permission this is extended even further; Many counters are separated into Hard (counter target spell), Soft (counter target spell unless it's controller pays 3), or Remand (sort of soft/hard counter). Using this division method, you would just count mana curves on types of counter spells (usually around 16 to 24 for a true permission deck).
Aggro, the same applies. You seperate your creatures into quick aggresive, and move up the mana curve from there. You consider them more as a whole towards 1 goal.

An example deck that I've been messing with lately (and is still in works):

4 Steam Vents
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Island
3 Plains
3 Mountain

4 Cour Hussar

2 Compulsive Research
4 Seal of Fire
4 Lightning Helix
4 Electrolyze
4 Psionic Blast
4 Char
4 Mana Tithe
4 Brow Beat
4 Dismal Failure

Sideboard:
Only relevant cards (rest of SB is still in heavy metagame testing)
4 Wrath of God
4 Disenchant

Or, if I'm playing with a more casual group (for example the role play group Im with), I normally use decks along these lines:
18 Relentless Rats
4 Carnophage
4 Sarcomancy
4 Dark Ritual
3 Thrumming Stone
3 Lightning Greaves
1 Feldon's Cane
2 Patriarch's Bidding
21 Swamp

The Glyphstone
2007-03-03, 10:13 AM
Dust Corona's quite underrated if you use it properly....like putting it on any creature with flying or an equivalent (Silhana Ledgewalker, for example) - can't be blocked by fliers, and can't be blocked by non-fliers = unblockable creature begging for big pumps. Isochron Scepter and such aren't nearly as valuable with Krosan Grip available to green decks, though still unpleasant elsewhere.

My current concotion is a mono-red Stuffy Doll base, with Furnace of Rath and lots of burn, global and otherwise. Skred's crazy with SD, and insane if the Furnace is out. 20 damage for R? heck yeah!

bingo_bob
2007-03-03, 05:20 PM
Hmm... apparently I'll have to take another look at the rules. Didn't know that stuff about regeneration. Really, that rips the whole thing apart... well, thanks for telling me, that calls for some heavy modification.