PDA

View Full Version : God of War monsters

Hurlbut
2007-02-07, 12:04 PM
Has anyone worked up stats for monsters from God of War? Some of the monsters we can already use the Monster Manuals for. But there are others that are not quite depicted at all in the manuals such as the "blade" wraith (blades as forearms), the Minotaur Boss (huge, massively armored), and the "Feral" Centaur to name a few.

Twisted.Fate
2007-02-08, 12:33 PM
I based my Sylenti (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32910) off the Satyrs in God of War, because the Monster Manual Satyrs just didn't come close to how beautifully brutal those things were. I did add a few things, so it's not an exact stat-up, though come to think of it, it's fairly close, down to their vulnerability to grappling.

Hurlbut
2007-02-08, 12:44 PM
I might take a crack at the Giant Minotaur. That thing would make for a terrific big boss even if it isn't very brainy.

elliott20
2007-02-08, 12:51 PM
well, there are rules for what to do stat wise to increase the size ratio of a monster. You can simply increase the minotaur's size to gigantic, make the require statistical adjustment, and then add some plate armor on his body to increase his AC.

Add a breath weapon that deals fire damage (maybe say, 2d6 points of damage) that takes a standard action to use, a DC 15 or so save for half damage, and you have yourself a good approximation of the minotuar boss.

Hurlbut
2007-02-08, 12:54 PM
So the God of War's King Minotaur is gigantic size in D&D term? I thought it would be merely huge?

elliott20
2007-02-08, 12:55 PM
well, you'd have to scale it properly I guess. What size would a titan be? I would approximate the minotuar boss in question to that. Do not forget, Kratos was no more than the size of the minotuar's finger in the game.

Hurlbut
2007-02-08, 01:02 PM
I...You have seen Kranos?

Looking at the size comparison, comparing the colassal to the medium, I think I have to say Colossal would be the size if one wanted the Minotaur King to have fingers the size of Kratos.

elliott20
2007-02-08, 01:07 PM
dammit, either my mind is realyl fussy or I must be just too tired.

fact is, I do remember that Kratos was quite a bit smaller than the minotaur, so much so that the minotuar's hand could easily crush a man krato's size like we would be crushing a roach.

Hurlbut
2007-02-08, 01:11 PM
Either Gargantuan or Colossal works. I can compare its fire breath to a Red Dragon of same size, making sure it's less powerful than of the dragon's breath, while still being potent.

elliott20
2007-02-08, 01:20 PM
well, I thought the fire breath thing would be added in just for flavor. If I recall correctly, the fire breathing portion of him was not a prominant part of his arsenal but rather his pure raw strength was.

Hurlbut
2007-02-08, 01:24 PM
Do you recall if he breath fire whenever Katros was too close or too far?

elliott20
2007-02-08, 01:32 PM
Well, I remember him breathing fire on him whenever he's too close. But it depends if he's standing on the lower level or the higher level. When on the lower level, it was actually far more convenient for the creature to simply stampede over kratos.

The fire, I think dealt not all that much damage either. I think his hand slaps, grabs and what not dealt far more damage.

Hurlbut
2007-02-08, 01:35 PM
Stampede hehehe, I have to remember to include that :D

elliott20
2007-02-08, 01:50 PM
Yeah, the minotuar in question actually had far more in common with a bull than with a man.

Hurlbut
2007-02-08, 01:53 PM
Yeah, the minotuar in question actually had far more in common with a bull than with a man.
True, but I think he should still have monsterous humaniod type, as he was capable of standing on his back legs.

Hurlbut
2007-02-08, 02:33 PM
I want to say thanks, you're the only one who was willing to have a part in this discussion.

elliott20
2007-02-08, 02:34 PM
it's no problem. part of the reason why others have not bothered is because once we've established the larger than normal minotuar, there's not much else to say since the rest of the creatures can be covered by the MM.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-08, 02:43 PM
You know, I wonder if Kratos was a Swordsage or a Warblade.

elliott20
2007-02-08, 02:45 PM
dammit, I really need to buy the ToB book cuz I have no idea what a swordsage or a warblade does.

Hurlbut
2007-02-08, 03:17 PM
But what about the "wraith"? That is not really same as the Wraith in the MM. It is corporeal, has forearm swords instead of normal forearms like us humans, can burrow through stone floor and apparently has a whirlwind attack.

elliott20
2007-02-08, 03:27 PM
well, the thing is, burrowing part is not a true burrow. It simply just melds into the shadows on the floor and comes back out.

Hurlbut
2007-02-08, 03:39 PM
well, the thing is, burrowing part is not a true burrow. It simply just melds into the shadows on the floor and comes back out.
Hm? Shadow burrow or Shadow Meld?

elliott20
2007-02-08, 03:45 PM
I'm not sure, to be honest. But my point is, they don't actually start digging into the ground. They sort of just meld into the ground and pop back at random spots.

Hurlbut
2007-02-08, 05:15 PM
This is no mean by the final draft. It's only the first attempt I have ran at the King Minotar of the God of War.

Great Minotaur
Gargantuan Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 30d8+183 (318 hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 28 (–4 size, +10 heavy plate +1, +12 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 29
Base Attack/Grapple: +30/+54
Attack: Slam +38 slam (3d6+12) or gore +38 melee (3d8+12)
Full Attack: Slam +38/+33/+28/+23 melee (3d6+12) and gore +23 melee (3d8+12)
Space/Reach: 20 ft./20 ft.
Special Attacks: Area Attack, Awesome Blow, Breath Weapon, Fling Enemy, Mighty Roar, Powerful charge 12d6+18, Stamp, Trample 3d6+18
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 15/Epic, Darkvision 60 ft., natural cunning, scent, spell resistance 30
Saves: Fort +16, Ref +16, Will +17
Abilities: Str 35, Dex 8, Con 23, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills: Intimidate +8, Listen +13, Search +8, Spot +13
Feats: Power Attack, Track, Mighty Roar, Toughness, Involuntary Rage, Improved Bull Rush, Awesome Blow, Stamp, Improved Grab, Fling Enemy, Area Attack
Environment: Underground
Organization:
Challenge Rating:
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic Evil

A giant minotaur stands more than 50 feet tall and weighs about 20 tons.

Giant Minotaur speaks Giant.

COMBAT
Giant Minotaur prefer melee combat, where its great strength serves it well.

Area Attack (Ex): If the Giant Minotaur pick up a heavy object or improvished weapon, it may attack an area as a standard action. The area affected is a half-circle with a radius equal to its reach. It deals 2d6+18 to all creatures two or more size categories smaller than itself. The Giant Minotaur take –2 penalty to Armor Class and on Reflex saves until its next action.

Awesome Blow (Ex): As a standard action, the Giant Minotaur may choos to subtract 4 from its melee attack roll and deliver an awesome blow. If it hit a corporeal opponent small than itself with an awesome blow, its opponent must succeed on a Reflex (DC equal to damage dealt) or be knocked flying 10 feet in a direction of the Giant Minotaur’s choice and fall prone. The Giant Minotaur can only push the opponent in a straight line, and the opponent can’t move closer to the attacking creature than the square it started in. If an obstacle prevents the completion of the opponent’s move, the opponent and the obstacle each take 1d6 points of damage, and the opponent stops in the space adjacent to the obstacle.

Breath Weapon (Su): 4d10, fire damage, 20 ft cone.

Fling Enemy (Ex): The Giant Minotaur can make a grapple check at a –20 penalty against an opponent at least two size categories smaller than itself. If it succeed, on its next action it can use an attack action to fling the held opponent. The range increment for the thrown creature is 120 feet.
A creature may be thrown horizontally or vertically. If thrown vertically, it take normal falling damage. If thrown horizontally, it takes damage as if it had fallen half the distance thrown (rounded down). For example, if a hurled orc is thrown horizontally 170 feet, it takes 8d6 points of damage.
The Giant Minotaur may fling the creature at another creature. To do so, make an attack roll at a –4 penalty, with appropriate range penalties, against the target creature. If it hit, both creatures take the amount of damage that the thrown creature would have taken otherwise, as given above.

Grafted Armor (Ex): The Giant Minotaur is enclosed fully in heavy plate armor, his speed is not reduced and he is not encumbered as if he was wearing light or no armor. If his armor is destroyed by any mean (sunder, spell, and so on), he lose his armor bonus as well as his Spell Resistance which is part of the heavy plate armor as a special property. Furthermore, due to that his armor was grafted into him, he takes damage equal to half the damage that destroyed his armor, if it was expressed in damage points, otherwise ignore this.

Improved Natural Attack (Ex): Its own grafted armor improve its melee attacks.

Involuntary Rage (Ex): If the Giant Minotaur take 50 points of damage from a single attack and survived, on its next action it gain +4 to Strength, +4 to Constitution, and –2 to Armor Class. These adjustments last until the end of the combat, at which time it become fatigued. Adjustments are as follow;
Gain +60 HP, Fort Save +18, and +2 to all attack rolls and grapple checks.

Mighty Roar (Ex): Once per day as a standard action, a giant minotaur’s mighty roar affect every opponent within 30 feet of it that can hear its roar and has a characer level lower than his total HD. An affected opponent must make a successful Will save (DC 24) to negate the effect. Failure means that opponent becomes shaken for 1d6 rounds. A shaken creture takes a –2 morale penalty on attack rolls, checks, and saving throws.

Natural Cunning (Ex): Although minotaurs are not especially intelligent, they possess innate cunning and logical ability. This gives them immunity to maze spells, prevents them from ever becoming lost, and enables them to track enemies. Further, they are never caught flat-footed.

Powerful Charge (Ex): A giant minotaur typically begins a battle by charging at an opponent, lowering its head to bring its mighty horns into play. In addition to the normal benefits and hazards of a charge, this allows the beast to make a single gore attack with a +38 attack bonus that deals 12d6+18 points of damage.

Stamp (Ex): As a full round action, the giant minotaur may strike a solid surface with one of its limbs and create a shock wave that radiates out from its position and continues for 150 feet. Make a single unarmed attack roll. Every creature in the affected area compares its Balance check result to your attack roll result. Those who fail this opposed check are knocked down. Each structure and unattended object that is at least partially within the shock wave take damage equal to 1d6+12+ object’s hardness (maximum 5).

Trample(Ex): Reflex half DC 28. The save DC is Strength-based.

Skills: Giant Minotaur have a +4 racial bonus on Search, Spot, and Listen checks.

Draz74
2007-02-08, 08:29 PM
I have no idea what a swordsage or a warblade does.

You can find Warblade on the WotC web site if you search ... it might give you some idea, especially of the flavor.

Other than that ... I wasn't participating in the thread because I have no idea what "God of War" even is!!!

Hurlbut
2007-02-08, 08:34 PM
Here you are; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_War_(video_game)

Twisted.Fate
2007-02-09, 11:36 AM
I want to say thanks, you're the only one who was willing to have a part in this discussion.

Hey, I offered up a monster, and you didn't even comment on it.

I may stat up the Cerberus dogs. Imagine running into those at game, huh? It hurls fireballs, and baby versions of itself.