PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky Healer "Familiar"

Juantanamo
2014-04-14, 11:47 AM
TL/DR: What is the best way to build an effective healer NPC at cLevel 3 that *appears* to be a Wizard's familiar, using as FEW splatbooks as possible, doing as little else as possible.

-J

--------------
Background:
Our group lacks a divine caster for healing. We are lv 3: 2H Fighter, S&B Fighter, and my Wizard (Conj-Jaunt). The DM asked me to put together an NPC healer. This is the DM's first game so go easy on him as far as splatbooks go. (This is also why a no-go on your favorite magical healing items) Favored soul is ok. He's a great DM, he's just new and busy and asked me to help out, but I thought it would be fun to do it this way.

The other players don't know wizards well enough to realize that I traded my familiar for jaunt. So "oh, my raven has some healing he can use on you" will probably fly. (pun intended) And even if they realized something was up, they wouldn't care because all this "familiar" will be doing is healing them anyways. (they do a good job on the front line so keeping them standing is nice for me)

I don't want this "familiar" to do much else. We have no rogue so some trapfinding would be welcome but that's a side benefit.
I don't want to dillute my Wizard in any way. With WIS 8 and CHA 8 I'm not sure what I *could* do anyways.

I considered wild-shaped druid (overkill, and can't shift at 3)... healing domain cleric with augment healing and trade divine magician ACF for 2nd domain for alter self line (duration problems though). Healer would be great (if I could find the class somewhere...) but can't think of a way to shapeshift one. An ACTUAL familiar that does healing could work, but then bye-bye to Jaunt, and I don't know of any.

Toss me your ideas.

gorfnab
2014-04-14, 11:57 AM
Beguiler (Shining South) Nightstalker (Dragonlance: Races of Ansalon)

Beguilers can normally be taken by a Wizard with the feat Improved Familiar or as a cohort through Leadership, however they do make a decent NPC or PC race. Nightstalker is a class that is sort of a mix of rogue and cleric, so it can cover trapfinding and healing.

Hecuba
2014-04-14, 12:14 PM
The Hengeyokai race from OA would seem the best bet. No Raven, but you can do a sparrow (name her Sally for me, would you).

The character will be LA+1 and have -2 Wis, so you may wish to aim for Favored Soul or Shugenja (Water) so that your casting keys off of Charisma instead.

You may need surrogate spell-casting, eschew materials, and/or still spell as well.

Urpriest
2014-04-14, 12:48 PM
Beguiler (Shining South) Nightstalker (Dragonlance: Races of Ansalon)

Beguilers can normally be taken by a Wizard with the feat Improved Familiar or as a cohort through Leadership, however they do make a decent NPC or PC race. Nightstalker is a class that is sort of a mix of rogue and cleric, so it can cover trapfinding and healing.

Seconding the Beguiler. They're adorable, they're LA +0 as cohorts, and they can do anything a normal-raced character can do.

Medic!
2014-04-14, 01:47 PM
You could still go with the Druid idea and use the Shapeshifter (and possibly the Spontaneous Rejuvination) ACF from PHB2.

Alternatively make a Tibbit (http://dndtools.eu/races/dragon-compendium--109/tibbit--33/) Healer (http://dndtools.eu/classes/healer/)

Juantanamo
2014-04-15, 08:45 PM
Tibbit healer...!!!

That.... is so awesome. Never heard of a tibbit but now I want one. Thanks for the other suggestions too, I think I can swing one of these four. THANKS!

Jack_Simth
2014-04-15, 08:53 PM
Tibbit healer...!!!

That.... is so awesome. Never heard of a tibbit but now I want one. Thanks for the other suggestions too, I think I can swing one of these four. THANKS!
Don't forget to add Vow of Poverty (Book of Exalted Deeds) so as to avoid the 'Christmas tree effect' to keep the Tibbit seeming much more like a cat.