PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Low CHA Intimidater

Heliomance
2014-04-14, 12:39 PM
I have a player in my game playing an Orc Barbarian. He's decided he's interested in building a Demoralise build. Unfortunately, he's done the classic Orc Barbarian thing of having 6 CHA. Is there any way I can help him do it well? I thought there was a way to get STR to Intimidate, but unfortunately it looks like it only works for Clerics.

I'll let him take Half-Orc Paragon, as I was the one that suggested Orc over Half-Orc. I've looked through Caedrus's Fear handbook, so I know the useful feats and such. I'm just concerned about getting him a high enough check to be useful when he's starting from such low CHA.

And no Item Familiars. They're broken and I hate them.

Mootsmcboots
2014-04-14, 01:04 PM
Just let him use str as the stat for intimidate? Maybe at a slight penalty, like his Cha modifier.

I mean, it's not the rules, but, I mean, you're the DM. Just do it.

Ellowryn
2014-04-14, 01:07 PM
The only feat off the top of my head that gives Str to Intimidate is Intimidating Prowess from pathfinder, so you could allow him to take that feat if you want to let him do the intimidate thing.

Trading a feat to allow for him to make up for his poor choice of stat distribution seems relatively fair to me.

Shining Wrath
2014-04-14, 01:22 PM
Intimidate gets size bonuses / penalties. You could rule that as a Barbarian Orc he counts as Large for purposes of intimidating less muscular, civilized races. So he'd get a +4 against a city-dwelling human, but not against a human barbarian.

Vhaidara
2014-04-14, 02:13 PM
Just give him Str to Intimidate. For the way he'll be using it (roaring at people while charging with a great axe), it makes so much more sense than Cha.

Garagos
2014-04-14, 02:16 PM
Somewhere in Masters of the Wild is a sidebar saying Barbarians should be allowed to sub STR for CHA for Intimidate.

Urpriest
2014-04-14, 02:18 PM
Pretty sure there's a way in 3.5 to add Str to Intimidate. Unlike other posters I don't believe it should just come for free, but there are ways to get it. I want to say Dragon Spirit Cincture, but that might be a 4e thing.

Diarmuid
2014-04-14, 03:21 PM
I actually think it's a sidebar thing somewhere in the DMG that lists potential alternate stats that could be used for skills under particular scenarios. No book handy at the moment, but I remember seeing it somewhere.

Shining Wrath
2014-04-14, 03:26 PM
X Stat To Y Bonus thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?125732-3-x-X-stat-to-Y-bonus) only lists a PF feat for using Strength for Intimidate.

Jergmo
2014-04-14, 03:30 PM
I actually think it's a sidebar thing somewhere in the DMG that lists potential alternate stats that could be used for skills under particular scenarios. No book handy at the moment, but I remember seeing it somewhere.

This. It's a variant rule listed in the DMG, but I don't remember the page; having alternate attribute mods for appropriate skills.

The examples that come to mind are Str -- Intimidate and Dex -- Perform (Dance).

dascarletm
2014-04-14, 03:50 PM
I've always been a fan of house ruling using different stats if they make sense for skill checks. I've actually allowed almost any stat to be used for intimidate in a couple of campaigns, as long as the character does something appropriate for that stat.

I like the idea of using Dex for Perform (Dance). Heck, it makes more sense to used stats like that in performances that don't require engaging the audience.

Shining Wrath
2014-04-14, 03:57 PM
I've always been a fan of house ruling using different stats if they make sense for skill checks. I've actually allowed almost any stat to be used for intimidate in a couple of campaigns, as long as the character does something appropriate for that stat.

I like the idea of using Dex for Perform (Dance). Heck, it makes more sense to used stats like that in performances that don't require engaging the audience.

I don't know if it's the sidebar, but I'll put in a vote for Spellcraft working off your primary casting stat. If you can cast based on Wisdom or Charisma, you can understand scrolls / magic items / recognize magic in action using those stats.

I am trying to figure out how to Intimidate using Constitution. Keep on yelling in their face for a duration that would make most people pass out?

dascarletm
2014-04-14, 04:06 PM
I am trying to figure out how to Intimidate using Constitution. Keep on yelling in their face for a duration that would make most people pass out?

I'm reminded of a scene where a particularly stupid PC smashed an oak chair over his own head as though it was made of balsa wood. Something to that regard. Or perhaps some other form of self inflicted pain like picking up a hot iron with your bare hands. I know if some guy was staring at me while he did something like that I'd be going home to change my pants.:smalltongue:

Heliomance
2014-04-14, 06:15 PM
The player is completely new to D&D, so the stat distribution is unsurprising, especially as Intimidation as a combat tactic wasn't something he was aware of when building the character.

SO what's the consensus - charge a feat for STR to Intimidate, or just give it for free?

RavynsLand
2014-04-14, 06:19 PM
In The Quintessential Barbarian, they give rules for using any stat to Intimidate, "free of charge." But it isn't anything resembling core or RAW.

Shining Wrath
2014-04-14, 06:26 PM
The player is completely new to D&D, so the stat distribution is unsurprising, especially as Intimidation as a combat tactic wasn't something he was aware of when building the character.

SO what's the consensus - charge a feat for STR to Intimidate, or just give it for free?

Make him trade something, maybe of less value than a feat - perhaps a low value class feature?

RavynsLand
2014-04-14, 06:28 PM
Make him trade something, maybe of less value than a feat - perhaps a low value class feature?

Invent a skill trick that lets him swap. So it'll be 2 skill points and one against his limit.

Heliomance
2014-04-14, 06:36 PM
Invent a skill trick that lets him swap. So it'll be 2 skill points and one against his limit.

That's only usable once an encounter though.

For comparison, the rest of the party is:

A changeling Warlock (the only player aside from me that has any particular optimisation knowledge)
A half-elf homebrew Assassin
An elf Druid (newbie)
A Strongheart halfling Rogue (newbie)

RavynsLand
2014-04-14, 06:39 PM
That's only usable once an encounter though.

Unless noted otherwise. ;)

Barbarian Horde
2014-04-14, 07:03 PM
I think the DM can actually just modify it. I mean honestly if I see a man rip a tree out of the ground and look at me and anger and yells. Im gonna be scared. As a reference I went and read the DM Guide I Just take a look. I think it was page 34. It talks about situation things that could change the modifier you use. Maybe Im reading that wrong.

I mean iv done a goliath Fighter/barbarian. I had knockback and improved bullrush. I punted a man off a bridge at least 40ft. I asked my dm for an intimidation(with str modifier) check and threatened the other rogue if he didnt want the same he would step aside.

The bullrush btw... To bad the DM rolled a nat 1 for him against a nat 20. ROFL