PDA

View Full Version : Planar Shepherd Help

Genoin
2014-04-14, 01:58 PM
I am being allowed to play a planar shepherd with the restriction that I Amy not play in the 10:1 time plane. What I am wondering is, where can I find a list of planes with their environments/effects/inhabitants? Most I have been able to find so far are 8 or so base for planes (aka elemental, alignment based). Where are the other, less archetypical, more unique planes located?

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-14, 03:14 PM
Eberron Campaign Setting has a writeup of the eberron planes, which are the ones Planar Shepherds are allowed by the fluff.
Manual of the Planes has the generic planes for non-Eberron games.

HammeredWharf
2014-04-14, 03:45 PM
There's a handbook for everything. (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1081076)

Genoin
2014-04-14, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the info. I think the DM would prefer I choose one of the standard planes from the manual as this is their first experience with Planar Shepherd, and technically we are playing a PF only campaign. There are fewer broken effects like fast time in the manual, but still a lot of cool things for the flavor and wild shaping aspect.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-14, 04:01 PM
Dal Quor and its 10:1 time trait may be the best known OP trick of the class, but it's by no means the only one.
Pretty much every good-aligned plane gives you outsider shapes with ridiculous SLAs. Wish without expending resources is enough to break the game all on its own.

The class is pretty much unplayable unless you intentionally limit yourself, even more so than other T1 casters already have to in all but the most high powered campaigns.
I suggest you choose a fluff plane with some nice magical beasts and forget you even have outsider shape unless it's that kind of game.

Genoin
2014-04-14, 04:27 PM
That will be the majority of what is going on. Was thinking something like Ysgard to wild shape into celestial elephant, or something like that. And if, for some reason, it ever became "that" type of game, I can wild shape into a Solar.... I am intentionally limiting myself, the class just seems too fun from a fluff perspective, regardless of how crunch broken it is. Since it is. PF only campaign, I actually had to use a single wish that I found in order to be able to take the PrC.

Necroticplague
2014-04-14, 06:14 PM
Dal Quor and its 10:1 time trait may be the best known OP trick of the class, but it's by no means the only one.

The Reign of Dreams is also a 10:1. And can be modified with Lucid Dreaming. A trick I've always liked is using morphic planes that can be altered easily, then using it to just appearify stuff you need. At least, any mundane stuff. Limbo is one of the simpler examples, being that it can be bent by applying will to it. And gives you access to Slaad forms, which can get nasty.

Genoin
2014-04-14, 06:43 PM
That does sound cool. I am already a druid, so I don't really need more power, I am really mainly looking for fun ideas for a NG character.

Snowbluff
2014-04-14, 07:21 PM
I'm going to sit in on this one. I like the idea of not abusing the top abilities of a class.

Speaking of which, Exalted Companion, Luminous Armor, and similiar materials in the BoED would make good filler.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-15, 04:49 AM
The Beastlands is probably one of the more fitting non-Eberron planes for a good Planar Shepherd.
It doesn't have any planar traits except being mildly good-aligned, so your Planar Bubble won't really do much unless you use it to counter another effect.
Its inhabitants include celestial versions of animals, vermin and magical beasts, few of which have any particularly gamebreaking powers. They're nice for flavor though.
You also get angel and eladrin forms but that's true for pretty much any good plane, so you'll just have to ignore their existence.