PDA

View Full Version : Domains for the Titans

Vrock_Summoner
2014-04-14, 02:21 PM
I didn't think this belonged in Homebrew, because I don't want to actually make new domains or rules or anything. Basically, D&D lessened the stature of Greek titans immensely, and I was intending to axe that and run a game with the original titans as the pantheon.

So, all other things being similar, of the titans you have knowledge of if you've, oh, taken a quick glance over some greek mythology stuff during history or read the Percy Jackson books or something (basically I don't care if you're an expert as long as you've seen a semi-accurate depiction of them, though expert opinions are more than welcome) what domains would you give to each of the titans, the forefathers of the Greek Gods? Looking for sensibility and hopefully a bit of balance, though that's a finicky notion in general.

Mcdt2
2014-04-14, 03:13 PM
Well, alright, I'll see what I can do. Just gonna run through the first generation of Titans, for brevity's sake.

Oceanus -Obvious enough, Water, Ocean, possibly Storm/Weather/Watery Death
Hyperion -Trickier, mostly relevant for fathering Helios, Selene, and Eos. Wikipedia lists "Watchfulness, Wisdom and Light". Maybe Planning fits well?
Coeus -Not much known about him, name means "Questioning" though, possibly a god of intellect. Knowledge and/or Oracle could work, possibly Truth?
Cronus/Kronos - Time is obvious, and perhaps Air/Sky because he took rulership from Uranus. Tyrant could work too.
Crius -kinda dull guy, mostly existed to pad out the numbers. He's possibly a god of constellations; make of that what you will
Iapetus-"the Piercer". god of mortality and possibly craftsmanship. Death, War, and Strength are obvious choices.
Mnemosyne -goddess of memory, and mother of the Muses. dunno what domains for her.
Tethys - Also tied to the sea, which makes sense seeing as she is wed to Oceanus. She seems to be less evil than Oceanus, more motherly. In addition to Water, maybe Community?
Theia/Euryphaessa -Seems to be tied to glory and "glittering". Glory might fit, and so might Charm
Pheobe - Associated with the Moon, and the Delphic Oracle, so Moon and Oracle domains could work
Rhea - a mother figure, perhaps Community, Protection, and/or Family domains?
Themis- reperesentative of justice and order. Law, Balance, and/or Truth?

Well, that took a while. may come back to this, work out domains for the later Titans.

Vrock_Summoner
2014-04-14, 03:26 PM
Thanks! That's a great start. And yeah, I'll probably go with what Wikipedia says on a lot of these things. Hm, in the meantime, I ought to look at the Comcast page to see if there are any star/constellation domains. Thanks again.

Edit: Bite of the King really makes me think Gluttony fits Cronus. Hah.

Melville's Book
2014-04-14, 11:19 PM
I think Planning works better for Crius, actually. He seems to have a very "the stars have aligned to signal change" feel, which lends itself to things like prediction and luck.

Hyperion seems like he'd fit with Radiance, Mind, Purification, and perhaps (sans Apollo in the pantheon) Sun?

So it ends up looking something like:

Oceanus: Water, Ocean, Evil, Watery Death, Blackwater

Hyperion: Sun, Radiance, Purification, Glory, Summer, Healing

Coeus: Knowledge, Magic, Truth, Oracle, Spell

Cronus: Air, Tyranny, Time, Vengeance, Celerity, Retribution

Crius: Planning, Oracle, Luck, Mysticism

Iapetus: War, Death, Destruction, Strength, Forge, Craft

Mnemosyne: Mentalism, Meditation, Pact, Divination

Tethys: Water, Renewal, Good, Community

Theia: Glory, Charm, Trickery

Phoebe: Moon, Oracle, Celerity, Fate, Healing, Herald

Rhea: Community, Protection, Family, [insert more here]

Themis: Law, Order, Balance, [insert more here]

Themis and Rhea are a lot harder to make realistic speculations about because they're already more well-defined in their role, but that seems mostly accurate.

Arbane
2014-04-15, 12:15 AM
Prometheus, Atlas, Typhon and Echidna were all Titans too, right? Or are you only counting the 'first generation' of Titans?

How about the Protogenoi like Nyx?

Vrock_Summoner
2014-04-15, 12:19 AM
Prometheus and Atlas are, at any rate. Typhon is a Gaia-spawned monster with strength dwarfing any individual member of the actual Olympian pantheon as well as probably any of the titans, but he wasn't technically a titan. I don't recognize that other name.

BrokenChord
2014-04-15, 12:34 AM
Woah. That's comprehensive. Don't mind if I steal you guys' hard work as it comes along.

Arbane
2014-04-15, 01:41 AM
Typhon is a Gaia-spawned monster with strength dwarfing any individual member of the actual Olympian pantheon as well as probably any of the titans, but he wasn't technically a titan. I don't recognize that other name.

Echidna is Typhon's wife, also known as 'Mother of Monsters". So I guess if he doesn't qualify, neither does she.

Melville's Book
2014-04-15, 11:56 AM
*cracks knuckles* Alright, back to work.

Explicitly excluding Helios. The people who wrote the mythology themselves don't even seem sure if he's an individual. He might exist, he might be Hyperion, he might be Apollo. I'll just leave "sun titan" to Hyperion.

Selene: Moon, Sky, Storm, Air

Eos: Radiance, Generosity, Hope

Leto: Family, Pain, Force, Suffering

Asterius: Can't find anything that doesn't make her utterly identical to other titans

Atlas: Strength, Sky, Air, Earth, War

Prometheus: Fire, Pain, Suffering, Life, Trickery, Foresight, Planning

Epimetheus: Humility, Pleasure, Sloth

Menoetius: Pride, Envy, War, Hatred

Metis: Why do so many titans have the same function?

Astraeus: Darkness, Night, Repose

Pallas: War, Strength, Orcs

Perses: Destruction, Death, Hatred, Wrath

Old mythologies are weird, y'know?

BrokenChord
2014-04-15, 12:51 PM
Perses looks like little more than Iapetus lite. Otherwise, that's pretty well thought-out, Melville's Book!

AntiTrust
2014-04-15, 01:38 PM
I was sort of hoping you were wanting domains for the teen titans

BrokenChord
2014-04-15, 01:45 PM
Robin: Awesome, Hot, Technology Wizard, The Goddamn Batman (inherited)

Starfire: Alien, Physics Breaking, Confusion, Hopeless Romanticism

Beast Boy: Awesome, Charging, Humor, Shapeshifter (I think that's an actual domqin), Bromanship

Cyborg: Warforged, Lazarz, Strength

Raven: Darkness, Emo, Winsauce, Suffering (from being annoyed)

There, have your Teen Titans :smallbiggrin:

Urpriest
2014-04-15, 01:47 PM
I feel like the D&D titans (the ones that are actually supposed to be equivalent to the Greek ones (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/titanElder.htm)) are actually pretty good representations powerwise, though I admit they lack in individuality.

Vrock_Summoner
2014-04-15, 01:54 PM
I feel like the D&D titans (the ones that are actually supposed to be equivalent to the Greek ones (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/titanElder.htm)) are actually pretty good representations powerwise, though I admit they lack in individuality.

Oh, I agree. That's a pretty nice base statblock. I was just thinking about what would happen if they were given Divine ranks and were thus made into the pantheon of a setting, and what domains they'd have. The block itself is mostly good, though I'd rewrite the feats.

dextercorvia
2014-04-15, 02:21 PM
Asterius: Can't find anything that doesn't make her utterly identical to other titans

Metis: Why do so many titans have the same function?

Asteria: Liberation, Moon, Oracle, Pride, and Protection based on:

The Titan goddess of nocturnal oracles and falling stars, Asteria flung herself into the Aegean Sea in the form of a quail in order to escape the advances of Zeus. She became the "quail island" of Ortygia.[3] which became identified with Delos, which was the only piece of earth to give refuge to the fugitive Leto when, pregnant with Zeus's children, she was pursued by vengeful Hera.

Metis: Alteration, Trickery, Knowledge, Insight

Jeff the Green
2014-04-15, 03:17 PM
It's too bad the Hunger domain is really the Ghoul domain. Otherwise it'd be perfect for Chronos.

Werephilosopher
2014-04-15, 03:44 PM
Cronus/Kronos - Time is obvious

No, Cronus/Kronos the son of Uranus is different from Chronos, the personification of time.

Also Dragon Magazine had a write-up of Erebus, the personification of darkness, dwelling in the Plane of Shadow. Its fluff presents him as very underpowered ever since the gods overthrew the titans, so you'd have to tweak it a bit.

Urpriest
2014-04-15, 03:45 PM
It's too bad the Hunger domain is really the Ghoul domain. Otherwise it'd be perfect for Chronos.

I mean, it's still perfect for Chronos, you just have to interpret him as that world's version of Doresain. Doresain is Elvis anyway, so it works pretty well.

Melville's Book
2014-04-15, 04:21 PM
Actually, the aforementioned Gluttony domain may work... Hm.

On another note, this is a rather large pantheon. Maybe it'd be better to stick to the first twelve for actual usage in a setting?

Graypairofsocks
2014-04-15, 04:50 PM
No, Cronus/Kronos the son of Uranus is different from Chronos, the personification of time.

I don't know if they want to split Cronus/Chronos or not, but I am not sure if Chronos was referred to as a Titan in Greek myth(he just might have been the personification of time).

I think that later myths may have merged them somewhat.

Also there is an article about D&D Titans in Dragon magazine 357.