PDA

View Full Version : How to build an Indiana Jones/Lara Croft

Vec
2014-04-14, 02:51 PM
Hello all,

I could use some help building a character.

The stats I have to work with are 18 int, which the DM has picked. The other stats are 16 14 12 10 and 8

I've been playing with the idea of making a rogue and picked the race gray elf, DM suggestion.

These are the two flaws I picked so I get two extra feats.
Xiphiphilia
Archaeophilia

RavynsLand
2014-04-14, 02:57 PM
Sounds like you want a Factotum to me.

Talya
2014-04-14, 03:07 PM
Sounds like you want a Factotum to me.

That's the only time I'll recommend that class, when people are trying to replicate Indy/Lara.

If you're in PF, there's a handy Bard Archetype, Archaeologist. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/archaeologist)

John Longarrow
2014-04-14, 03:26 PM
I'd go Human. Grab the Luck and Destiny feats (rerolls, add bonus to D20 rolls, that kind of thing)

This replicates both's ability to win even when they are outclassed.

May want to mix ONE level of Crusader in for the ability to push damage to the next round plus a stance that lets them heal every time they hit someone. This replicates boths ability to keep going even when they should be down for the count.

Vec
2014-04-14, 04:43 PM
That's the only time I'll recommend that class, when people are trying to replicate Indy/Lara.

If you're in PF, there's a handy Bard Archetype, Archaeologist. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/archaeologist)

Pathfinder isn't allowed and I can't change the race.

CIDE
2014-04-14, 04:45 PM

you just against the normal Factotum cheese?

Vec
2014-04-14, 05:01 PM

I wanted to play a magus but the DM says only 3.5

Zetapup
2014-04-14, 07:33 PM
Factotum is probably the best choice for what you want. Aside from factotum, your original idea of rogue would work too.

Maybe a (cloistered) cleric? It's a slightly different approach but could replicate most of the things a rogue could do through spells. Pick up knowledge devotion for a bonus to hit and damage that scales with your knowledge ranks.

An archivist might also work, but its BA and hit points are a bit low. Those can be boosted through spells and whatnot, but eh.

Bard would be okay too. The bardic knowledge ability would be nice and flavorful. The various inspire abilities don't make as much sense, so maybe just dip a level of bard?

That's all I can come up with.

Telonius
2014-04-14, 07:49 PM
Feat at 3rd level: Item Familiar (Hat).

I'm not sure how Extreme Explorer (from Eberron) would interact with Factotum, but it seems like it would be thematically appropriate.

Talya
2014-04-14, 09:39 PM

I don't like the factotum, though it does replicate Indy alright. Bard is my jack-of-all-trades of choice. It just doesn't work as well for Indy.

Tohsaka Rin
2014-04-14, 09:56 PM
Bard is a wonderful choice for Indy, just make sure you continue to pump-up Perform - Oratory.

All your buffs, inspires, and aid-anothers should be delivered in growls and mild shouting.

"Eleven o'clock!"

"...What happens at eleven?"

"...12! 11! 10! Eleven o'clock! Point the gun!"

Just remember to take the whip climber skill trick, and very seriously consider dipping a little into the Lasher PrC. Being able to use the whip for utility, setting off traps, and grabbing objects is not to be underestimated.

Ellowryn
2014-04-14, 11:10 PM
In the 3.0 Book Sword and Fist there is the Lasher which synergizes very well with Indy's use of a whip! And i second the Rouge as his base class, focused on int and charisma (cause he could woo the ladies, even the german ones who snored in their sleep :) ) Although Bardic Sage from UA probably isnt too far out there for the whole intellectual thing.

Annnnd Ninjad! :(

Rubik
2014-04-14, 11:23 PM
And i second the Rouge as his base classI don't think Indy's a crossdresser.

Unless that "temple of doom" had a lot more going on than we were led to believe.

CIDE
2014-04-15, 12:18 AM
I don't think Indy's a crossdresser.

Unless that "temple of doom" had a lot more going on than we were led to believe.

Building Indie AND Lara Croft :wink:

ShurikVch
2014-04-15, 12:36 PM
Indiana Jones: Swashbuckler 3/Factotum 3/Swordsage 14

Lara Croft: Wilderness Rogue 5/Extreme Explorer 5/Thief-acrobat 5/Exotic Weapon Master (pistol) 3/Dungeon Delver

Uhtred
2014-04-15, 12:56 PM
There's a a Prestige Class in Explorer's Handbook called the Thunder Guide, which not only allows you to make university lectures, but gets you in good with native peoples, make daring escapes, and sell the rights to the stories of your adventures. That always sounded very Indy to me.

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-15, 12:57 PM
I think someone did a great indy build using bard and luckstealer.