PDA

View Full Version : Equipment advice for a 10th level Paladin

Zaeron
2014-04-14, 04:37 PM
Hey guys!

So it's been quite a while since I played a higher level DnD campaign. I'm running a sword'n'board paladin who is going down the dual wield trees (improved shield bash, twf, etc). At 11th level I'll be picking up Shield Mastery.

We recently came into our first large windfall of cash in a long time - The party split ended up being about 22k gold each. We have access to a high level crafter, so crafting most things will run us half price.

My problem is, I'm not 100% sure how to spend my money. I am concerned because I don't think I'll be getting much cash for the next couple levels - the module we are playing through tends to be very back-loaded - that is, we'll find no treasure for a long time and then get a huge lump sum at the end.

My current gear is as follows:

+3 Scimitar
+2 Full Plate
+2 Small Steel Shield
+2 Belt of Strength/Dex
+2 Bandana of Charisma
+1 Amulet of Natural Armor
+2 Cloak of Resistance
Ring of Sustenance (or whatever the no-eating-no-sleeping ring is)
Ring of Protection +1

After selling the gear I've replaced, and counting the money I already had saved up, I have almost exactly 29,000g.

I had considered investing everything into buying Mithral Full Plate and improving my shield - I could get +4 Mithral Full Plate and a +4 Shield with a bit of money leftover. That would be a net gain of 6 points of AC - 2 from increased Dex, and 4 from enhancement bonuses.

That said, stuff is already swinging at us for +25 or more, so I'm not convinced that getting my AC to the low 30s will really help much. My instinct is that their beatsticks would still be murdering me.

On the upside, at 11, having a +4 shield would be very good for Shield Mastery.

I could also make the Scimitar Keen, which helps a lot on my damage since I'm all about maximizing smite/static bonuses. We're also using a crit deck (generates random effects on a crit) which has ended up being pretty OP. So fishing for crits is very effective.

Am I missing any other good options?

Edit - sorry, some useful additions: We're Pathfinder. We're using the Core Players Guide and the Advanced Players Guide - other items won't be allowed.