PDA

View Full Version : Telekinetic Mind Flayers

Grod_The_Giant
2014-04-14, 06:26 PM
I'm looking at using both normal Mind Flayers and Mind Flayers of Thoon (MMV) in an upcoming game, and I'd like distinguish them a bit more. I'm using the manifester-flayers from the XPH for normal flayers, with an emphasis on telepathy. For the Thoonites, I'm thinking telekinesis. There aren't that many pure-telekinetic powers... but on the other hand, I recently dug through a whole bunch of such spells for my fixed-list caster project. So... here's what I'm thinking...

Mind Flayer of Thoon
As the normal mind flayer (MMI), with the following exceptions.

Mind Thrust (Sp): This telekinetic attack is a cone 60ft long. Targets caught in the cone are pushed back 40ft and knocked prone. If pushed into a wall or similar solid surface, they take 1d6 damage per 10ft moved. A successful Reflex save (DC 17) halves the knockback and prevents them from being knocked prone. This ability replaces Mind Blast.
Telekinetics: Mind Flayers of Thoon cast spells as a 9th level Mage of the Unseen Hand (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?322766-Mage-of-the-Unseen-Hand-%28Fixed-list-Caster-Project%29-3-5-PEACH&p=16705607). This ability replaces Psionics.

For convenience:

0-Level Mage of the Unseen Hand Spells (Cantrips)

Detect Magic: Detects spells and magic items within 60 ft.
Launch Bolt (SpC): Launches a crossbow bolt up to 80 ft.
Launch Item (SpC): Hurls Fine item up to Medium range.
Light: Object shines like a torch.
Mage Hand: 5-pound telekinesis.
Open/Close: Opens or closes small or light things.
Read Magic: Read scrolls and spellbooks.

1st Level Mage of the Unseen Hand Spells

Backbiter (SpC): Weapon strikes wielder.
Bigby’s Tripping Hand (PHB2): Hand trips subject.
Feather Fall: Objects or creatures fall slowly.
Floating Disk: Creates 3-ft.-diameter horizontal disk that holds 100 lb./level.
Hold Portal: Holds door shut.
Mage Armor: Gives subject +4 armor bonus.
Mage Hand, Greater (SpC): As mage hand, but medium range and up to 40 lb.
Magic Missile: 1d4+1 damage; +1 missile per two levels above 1st (max 5).
Scatterspray (SpC): Group of small objects flies apart in a burst.
Shield: Invisible disc gives +4 to AC, blocks magic missiles.
Shieldbearer (SpC): Shield floats near subject to offer protection.
Slide (SpC): Move subject 5 feet.
Unseen Servant: Invisible force obeys your commands.

2th Level Mage of the Unseen Hand Spells

Battering Ram (SpC): Deals 1d6 damage plus bull rush.
Bigby’s Striking Fist (PHB2): Hand deals 1d6 nonlethal damage/2 levels (max 5d6) and knocks subject back.
Bigby’s Warding Hand (PHB2): Hand of force slows opponent.
Blast of Force (SpC): Attack deals 1d6 damage/2 levels (max 5d6).
Earthbind (SpC): Subject creature can’t fly.
Fly, Swift (SpC): Gain fly speed of 60 ft. for 1 round.
Force Ladder (F) (SpC): Creates an immobile ladder of force.
Knock: Opens locked or magically sealed door.
Levitate: Subject moves up and down at your direction.
Slapping Hand (SpC): Hand makes creature provoke attacks of opportunity.
Slide, Greater (SpC): Move subject 20 feet.
Whirling Blade (SpC): Hurled slashing weapon magically attacks all foes in 60-ft. line.

3th Level Mage of the Unseen Hand Spells

Bigby’s Disrupting Hand (PHB2): Hand disrupts opponent’s spellcasting.
Chain Missile (SpC): Multiple missiles deal 1d4+1 damage each, then strike secondary targets.
Dispel Magic: Cancels magical spells and effects.
False Gravity (SpC): Travel on a solid surface as if that surface had its own gravity.
Fly: Subject flies at speed of 60 ft.
Haste: One creature/level moves faster, +1 on attack rolls, AC, and Reflex saves.
Mage Armor, Greater (SpC): Gives subject +6 armor bonus.
Mage Armor, Mass (SpC): As mage armor, but one creature/level.
Manyjaws (SpC): One set of jaws/level attacks enemies for 1d6 damage.
Servant Horde (SpC): Create 2d6 unseen servants +1/level (max +15).
Slow: One subject/level takes only one action/round, -1 to AC, reflex saves, and attack rolls.
Steeldance (SpC): Blades hover around you and attack foes.
Tiny Hut: Creates shelter for ten creatures.

4th Level Mage of the Unseen Hand Spells

Crushing Grip (PHB2): Subject takes –2 on attacks, checks, saves, and AC and –20 ft. penalty to speed, might be paralyzed.
Defenestrating Sphere (F) (SpC): Cloudy gray sphere knocks enemies prone, hurls them upward for subsequent falling damage.
Floating Disk, Greater (SpC): As floating disk, but you can ride it.
Force Claw (SpC): Claw of force guards an area, making opportunity attacks.
Force Missiles (SpC): Unerring missiles of force strike for 2d6 damage and explode in a burst.
Forceward (SpC): Creates a sphere of force that protects against force effects and keeps out incorporeal creatures.
Forcewave (SpC): Bull rushes all creatures within 10 ft.
Orb of Force (SpC): Globe of force deals 1d6/level damage (max 10d6).
Resilient Sphere: Force globe protects but traps one subject.
Sword of Deception (SpC): Blade of energy attacks independently, deals 1d4 damage, penalizes subsequent save.
Vortex of Teeth (SpC): 3d8 points of damage due to force per round to all creatures in the area.
Wingbind (SpC): A net of force entangles the subject, causing it to fall from the sky.

5th Level Mage of the Unseen Hand Spells

Bigby's Interposing Hand: Hand provides cover against one opponent.
Cyclonic Blast (SpC): Deals 1d6 damage/level, knocks down creatures.
Dance of Blades (PHB2): A weapon attacks on its own.
Fly, Mass (SpC): One creature/level flies at speed of 60 ft.th Level Mage of the Unseen Hand Spells
Overland Flight: You fly at a speed of 40 ft. and can hustle over long distances.
Raise from the Deep (SpC): Creature or sunken ship made buoyant.
Shard Storm (SpC): Blast deals 3d6 damage to creatures in area.
Telekinesis: Moves object, attacks creature, or hurls object or creature.
Wall of Force: Wall is immune to damage.

LordErebus12
2014-04-15, 06:26 AM
I like this, it definitely gives them a more ferocious ability set.

Loek
2014-04-16, 04:43 AM
Sounds cool. I'd make telekinesis a spell like ability though. Unlimited/high number of uses (maybe with cooldown?).

Maybe even give them some tricks (one per flayer, or based on level, or just the occasional "special" flayer) from the "Master of the Unseen Hand" (Complete Warrior) prestige class? If only to spice things up occasionally (the class stinks, it's ability can have some nice flavor).

tarkisflux
2014-04-16, 05:28 PM
Mind Thrust should probably allow them to throw furniture at people, and pin targets against a wall while their brains get sucked out of their skulls, etc. A knockback blast on its own just doesn't seem like a particularly great replacement for the stunning effect of Mind Blast IMO.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-04-16, 05:50 PM
Mind Thrust should probably allow them to throw furniture at people, and pin targets against a wall while their brains get sucked out of their skulls, etc. A knockback blast on its own just doesn't seem like a particularly great replacement for the stunning effect of Mind Blast IMO.
Good call on both. Maybe have it do knockback/damage and knock prone, with a short stun (1d4 rounds?) on a failed save?

tarkisflux
2014-04-17, 01:28 AM
I don't actually like the stun part here, since you're trying to differentiate them from garden variety starspawn mind flayers. I think just giving them the ability to use TK to make a pin attempt using the normal grapple rules (I know, /groan) might be sufficient (note that the TK spell does this already, so it's not a stretch). That makes them a threat for a different set of PCs (low BAB, low grapple vs. low will saves), which could also be points in the differentiation column. Depending on the action associated with it (or the sustain pin action if different), you could get targets pinned mentally and bodily while they sucked the brains out, which basically doesn't allow for escape without assistance or terrible grapple rolls. So maybe a knockback blast as a standard, an "if adjacent to flat surface" pin as a standard action with a swift to sustain (but no new pins or TK blasts while sustaining) sort of setup.

That said, the status debuff is certainly an easier way to go. I'd replace stunned with a save ends paralyzed along the lines of hold monster though. Maybe a reflex save instead of a will.

Not sure about the furniture mechanics though. Maybe just similar to the knockback stuff. Being blown into a wall is a lot like having a wall blown into you I guess.

Durazno
2014-04-17, 08:55 AM
I'm actually surprised the unseen hand spell list doesn't have a variant of hold person and hold monster.

Veklim
2014-04-17, 09:31 PM
Just a thought, but you might want to check out the 'Telekineticist' in my sig...it's a psionic base class with loads of TK abilities which you might like to raid for ability ideas.