PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help Old Scanner Still Working?

AtlanteanTroll
2014-04-14, 07:41 PM
So, my rather old CanoScan N76OU fell off my desk at college. It seems to work (makes all the technical noise and things when I plug it in), but my computer can't get a proper read on it anymore. When I plug it in and try to use it, I get a message telling me to, "Release the lock switch, detach I/F cable and reconnect." This doesn't do anything, and the last few times I've tried the lock switch hasn't needed releasing. Is this thing dead now or ... ?

factotum
2014-04-15, 01:33 AM
Could be that the carriage which does the actual scanning has jammed due to the fall--presumably the lock switch is there to lock that in place for transport, and if something else is jamming it in position, it could easily confuse the computer into thinking the lock switch is activated.

AtlanteanTroll
2014-04-15, 11:21 AM
In which case, I'm screwed unless I can get in to the thing and un-jam it?

factotum
2014-04-15, 03:39 PM
Pretty much. You might want to start putting some money aside for a replacement, though--you never know how badly damaged yours is.

AtlanteanTroll
2014-04-15, 10:43 PM
Pretty much. You might want to start putting some money aside for a replacement, though--you never know how badly damaged yours is.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Don't make that much money working part time in college though. It's a shame, really. The one that fell was liable and of pretty good quality, considering its age.