PDA

View Full Version : V's Gender? I think I have the answer!!!

kialos
2007-02-07, 03:09 PM
V is an Hermaphrodite. There, its all put to rest. :P

fwiffo
2007-02-07, 03:11 PM
OK, you win.

Your prize is this nice marble plaque with "Most <word censored> up theory on V's gender". Congrats.

Neek
2007-02-07, 03:12 PM
I dispute such a claim. V is in fact an ewez (http://www.zompist.com/meshaism.htm#three).

kialos
2007-02-07, 03:16 PM
Meh... there's almost no difference between an Ewemi and an Hermaphrodite. So I'll give it to you... Its deffentantly one of the two...

kialos
2007-02-07, 03:19 PM
BUT! I will not give up my nice marble plaque with "Most <word censored> up theory on V's gender" As the text. You're gonna have to back up your claim if you want it!

Tokeloshe
2007-02-07, 03:23 PM
V is actually a robot in disguise.

kialos
2007-02-07, 03:25 PM
Is (S)he more then meets the Eye?

Shattersnap
2007-02-07, 04:03 PM
I argue that V is, in fact, LESS than meets the eye.

Think about it. Just chew on it a minute.

Finwe
2007-02-07, 04:06 PM
Actually, you get an award for creating yet another thread on V's gender in which you state your brilliant theory that has already been put forward countless times by others.

Mjoellnir
2007-02-07, 04:16 PM
Well, I could once again state, that the Giant wrote that V was supposed to be male (and interpret the jokes in the comic so that he makes fun of all who think otherwise), but maybe I have another argument that wasn't used yet. If we assume that Zzd'tri was of the same gender like V-Man they're both male. Simply because Zzd'tri is a clone of Drizzt Do'Urden.:smalltongue:

Copacetic
2007-02-07, 04:22 PM
I think that V's gendar is not important. I think the fact that V would fireball you to next week if you called Her( yes Her) a he/she

Sesquedoodle
2007-02-07, 04:25 PM
I'm not too bothered about V's gender. It's all been discussed to death anyway. I just enjoy the jokes.
I do think it's worth pointing out that the Giant can state on the forums that V was originally meant to be male, then reveal V as female in the comic and he wouldn't technically be contradicting anything. Since V's gender has not, as of yet, been revealed in the comic.
What I'm saying is that the Giant can always change his mind. So V's gender could really be anything. I like that.

Callista
2007-02-07, 04:34 PM
I don't think V is too worried about his/her own gender either!

Threeshades
2007-02-07, 04:46 PM
I always thought about Vaarsuvius as male, which probably came from 2 facts:
1. He doesnt have the female body shape absolutely every female character so far had
2. Roy called him V-Man in one of the first strips.
3. it's Vaarsuvius which sounds pretty male, especially for someone who had to do three years of latin at school.
So I never really was able to see V as a female.

Tokiko Mima
2007-02-07, 04:56 PM
V's Gender? I think I have the answer!!!

There have been comics where V is referred to as a female, and there are also comics where V is referred as a male. There is no way to know for certain, and I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be that way.

So, instead of pondering a deliberate unanswerable, ask yourself "Why is it so important for people to know what's under V's robe? Why must a mystery be solved?" I think an answer to that could be found, and would be much more interesting to read.

Heliomance
2007-02-07, 05:02 PM
Q: Is Vaarsuvius male or female?

A: I will never reveal the truth! Bwahaha! Keep in mind that while certain other characters might refer to V as being male or female, that simply reveals their perception.not the actual reality of the situation. Top

kialos
2007-02-07, 05:03 PM
BEcause ITS FUN! Te-he!

kialos
2007-02-07, 05:08 PM
I came in Late in the OOTS game, so I had to read way back before I noticed that V's gender wasn't overtly stated BY V on purpose, I never really cared. I actually hope its never explained. Just to screw with everyone. Its a fun thought...

kialos
2007-02-07, 05:11 PM
(Edit)Huh... Guess I can't delete the redundent thread I created... oh well... don't post on this thread go to the V's Gender debate thread.

Neek
2007-02-07, 07:03 PM
Meh... there's almost no difference between an Ewemi and an Hermaphrodite. So I'll give it to you... Its deffentantly one of the two...

No. There is a difference. To quote Rammstein's song, Zwitter: "Ein für mich, ein für dich" ("Zwitter" means Hermaphrodite, and it means "one for me, one for you"). Ewemi can't have that. They can only marry within each other. There's the difference. ;) But this isn't the place to discuss the triple-genders of Meshaism.

And you can keep the award.

Khosan
2007-02-07, 07:08 PM
You're all wrong.

V is a massive amoeba. V's mate is his/her first copy. (S)he just wears a clever mask that covers up the amoebosity. And we all know amoebas are unisex!

Either that, or a kind of slug.

Adygias
2007-02-07, 07:38 PM
Let the Pixie (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32699) speak! Let her power FLOW through you!

Zaverix
2007-02-07, 07:46 PM
V's gender is left anonymous for a reason. That's where much of the humor comes from.

Skyserpent
2007-02-07, 09:11 PM
V is an Hermaphrodite. There, its all put to rest. :P

http://home.megapass.co.kr/%7Eboscot/incorrect.jpg

dragongirl13
2007-02-07, 09:22 PM
V's not a hemaphrodite. She used to be female, but due to a spell gone wrong she became asexual. She has no gender and no gender traits. Her spouse is probably asexual and without any gender traits too.

archon_huskie
2007-02-07, 09:47 PM
You areright. Congradulations, you have won the internet. Thank you for playing, now please log off and return to reality.

PiperlyonWiz5
2007-02-09, 06:02 PM
i think V is a female because she always rooms with haley

EvilAndProud
2007-02-09, 06:10 PM
No. There is a difference. To quote Rammstein's song, Zwitter: "Ein für mich, ein für dich" ("Zwitter" means Hermaphrodite, and it means "one for me, one for you"). Ewemi can't have that. They can only marry within each other. There's the difference. ;) But this isn't the place to discuss the triple-genders of Meshaism.

And you can keep the award.

100 points for quoting the best band evar.

And as for V's gender, I always saw V as androgynous, I never formed an opinion on V's gender being male or female. :smalltongue:

afternoon
2007-02-09, 06:22 PM
They shoulda slapped the belt of masculinity/femininity on 'er. him/her.

Carteeg_Struve
2007-02-09, 07:24 PM
They shoulda slapped the belt of masculinity/femininity on 'er. him/her.

Then you'd have a series of comics in which there is no apparent change to V, and yet he's peeved off at the group for deforming her in such an unethical manner.
:smallsmile:

PirateMonk
2007-02-09, 07:54 PM
1. He doesnt have the female body shape absolutely every female character so far had

Robed Miko. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0200.html)

Normal Miko, it's still subtle. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0408.html)

Skippy the Dire
2007-02-09, 07:57 PM
Or the belt fries trying to switch an indeterminate.:smallwink:

Just think - V as Heisenberg's gender - which isn't set until observed. :smallsmile:

Even better - add Schroedinger's gender to it - we observing V's gender changes its state.:smallbiggrin:

Did I get those right? Or are they backwards??

Yzorth
2007-02-09, 09:22 PM
My first impression was that V is female because Haley roomed with her/him. I was thinking along the lines of, girls room, and boys room.

The Extinguisher
2007-02-09, 10:14 PM
So, instead of pondering a deliberate unanswerable, ask yourself "Why is it so important for people to know what's under V's robe? Why must a mystery be solved?" I think an answer to that could be found, and would be much more interesting to read.

Isn't it obvious? They're attracted to V and want to know whether to feel excited or repulsed.

Bralius
2007-02-09, 10:15 PM
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.

Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-02-09, 10:51 PM
I think I have an answer, with backup from V herself. Comic #3, panel 1. How many guys do you know that would even discuss something like that?

for those too lazy to look it up:
Haley: so the Boots of Speed were totally powerful but they were, like, lime green
V: Indeed. A most grave conundrum you faced.

starwoof
2007-02-09, 11:02 PM
For the arguement of V discussing womanly things and not having a female body shape... he's an elf. They're all womanly and have the bodies of prepubescent girls. So it dosnt work as a valid arguement.

Personally I think that V is male. Possibly he's like one of those fish who can change genders.

Daracaex
2007-02-09, 11:13 PM
I'm not sure if this has ever been brought up before but here it is:

Haley knows. She knew V was married, spent time with V before joining the OotS, and has never been curious nor has she asked any questions or had any confusion about V's gender. I'm sure if you look back, she hasn't said anything about the subject at all while nearly every other character has.

Heliomance
2007-02-10, 10:42 AM
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.

Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

The trouble is that that V has a clearly defined gender identity.

TomMc
2007-02-10, 11:51 AM
"Today I prepared EXPLOSIVE RU.."

Bye

kialos
2007-02-11, 07:46 AM
Whoa... this post has gotten bigger then I intended... heh eheh... You're gonna break the interweb!

kialos
2007-02-11, 07:54 AM
Ok, lets keep in mind here that V is an Elf. Therefor (S)he acts on completely different impulses then humans do. So trying to say "V did this so V is ___" Isn't going to work in the sense that Elves are just different from humans. SO determining V's Gender would be difficult anyway.

Alfryd
2007-02-11, 01:25 PM
V is an Hermaphrodite.
Rich once explained on the fora that he deliberately draws all the women with their facial features lower down on the face than the males, in order to enhance 'cuteness', so one day I actually went and took an assortment of OotS strips, 'shopped out the faces and compared V's with both male and female samples.

S/he was *exactly* intermediate.
Your hypothesis is confirmed, sir.

...i think V is a female because she always rooms with haley...
Suggestive, but not definitive.

They're all womanly and have the bodies of prepubescent girls. So it dosnt work as a valid arguement.
I presume you're in the same camp with the 'dwarven-chicks-have-beards' philosophy?

Teh_Jakester
2007-02-11, 01:33 PM
V is a girl.
She rooms with Haley, who, last time I checked, is not a boy. Girls + Girls, Guys + Guys.
(Next Inn, though, it'll be Elan + Haley)
She also has supreme B****itude, which is dominate in Females. (ex. Miko)

Deme
2007-02-11, 02:25 PM
I agree with the idea that V's gender is a cat in a box...or something like that. It is both until it is revealed. Or maybe it's neither. It is both AND neither until it is revealed. Then it can be neither, both, male, or female, whatever...I tend to shift pronouns a lot when reffering to V, thus solving the problem forever.

Alfryd
2007-02-12, 04:34 AM
V's gender is a cat in a box...or something like that.
Schrodinger's chromosome.

Jukashi
2007-02-12, 09:16 PM
Clearly, V is an AndroGynosphinx.

Bluelantern
2007-02-12, 10:18 PM
It is time for androgeny!
It is V.!

Soveliss
2007-03-09, 12:03 PM
V Strikes me more as a guy myself.:smallconfused:

Fus.Weapon 1337
2007-03-09, 11:06 PM
V is both genders. Or neither. I don't know.

TheOOB
2007-03-09, 11:45 PM
I always saw V as a play on the androgyny that elves have in most campaigns settings. Generally speaking, elf males are feminine by human standards, and elf females are masculine. They have the same height, and males are only slightly heavier then females. Considering that Elf society is generally cares little for gender (both genders can be found in all roles), it could be difficult to tell what gender an elf is, and the elf wouldn't have much reason to say which gender they are unless asked.

okpokalypse
2007-03-10, 12:03 AM
I always thought about Vaarsuvius as male, which probably came from 2 facts:
2. Roy called him V-Man in one of the first strips.
3. it's Vaarsuvius which sounds pretty male, especially for someone who had to do three years of latin at school.
So I never really was able to see V as a female.

While 1 & 2 aren't very definitive, #3 has always stuck with me as well. Definitely a masculine name.

And per D&D Literature, Elven males tend to appear more gender-blurred to humans... Elven females are the pinnacle of beauty. I think that in general supports that Varsuvius is male - unless she's one fugly Elf. :smallwink:

Draz74
2007-03-10, 12:14 AM

Except for a few. Like the blacksmith that reforged Roy's sword. The assistant cleric in 303 is also questionable.

Khayankh
2007-03-10, 12:20 AM
I read another post about this topic that had a thesis on V's gender with which I agree. I don't remember who the post belonged to and freely admit that I am too lazy to look it up. This isn't really my idea, but:

V's gender is True Neutral. V filled out the Character Sheet wrong.
logically, it makes perfect sense given everything we know about V. Emotionally and personally, I love this theory because it shatters everything said about gender perception. Some of Haley's comments have also hinted towards the Giant opposing gender and sexuality stereotypes. The thing that irks me most about a lot of the lower-quality fantasy, science fiction, games, et cetera, is that it is written for a largely male audience and has a tendency to present females as less believeable characters. Occasionally, there are fantasy novels I've read that were written by feminists in which the audience is largely female and male characters exist to be kissed, murdered, married, or some combination of the above.
The True Neutral theory also suggests that gender is irrelevant to behavior, an idea I can relate to because my personal experience suggests that it's true. I am a girl, but I have never been "girly." In fact, I was in a school play some years ago and a few girls volunteered to help cast members who were unfamiliar with cosmetics put their stage makeup on. One of my most vivid memories from that play was finding out that some of my closest male friends did their own makeup, while I was getting help from another girl.

Purple_cloack
2007-03-10, 01:38 AM
My first impression was that V is female because Haley roomed with her/him. I was thinking along the lines of, girls room, and boys room.

Yeah, that's right. and when Roy listens them:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0123.html
It's very clear. Vaarsuvius IS woman.

DeathQuaker
2007-03-10, 10:21 AM
but maybe I have another argument that wasn't used yet.

Nope. Sorry. With all due respect, there is no argument about V's gender that has not already been mentioned several times. If you're bored, do a forum search. You will find the most amazing cycle of reiterated theories, all of which get posited, then dismissed, then posited again. Find the original V's Gender discussion thread. I am confident there is nothing new that wasn't noted in that original thread, the only exceptions being citing comics after that thread was started and locked--most of them noting that "so and so called V a 'he'" or "'she'" which resulted in the original dismissal brought up in that thread which is actually in the GiantITP FAQ--people call V what they perceive V to be.

If we assume that Zzd'tri was of the same gender like V-Man they're both male. Simply because Zzd'tri is a clone of Drizzt Do'Urden.:smalltongue:

And repeating what was said the last time this was brought up or three: Durkon's opposite was Hilgya. Are you saying Durkon is actually a woman? Hilgya a man?

It's also worth noting that later on, one of Pompey's determined "opposite" features was not that he was male, but simply that he had an easily determined and defined gender identity.

As to oft-repeated theory that V is a hermaphrodite...
V could be a hermaphrodite (all the bits)... or an androgyn (no bits)... but even, as I understand it, most people with "unusual" sex organs/constitutions still have a gender identity, so the debate as to V's gender identity (and again, whether V has one) could still ensue....

DeathQuaker
2007-03-10, 10:25 AM
Yeah, that's right. and when Roy listens them:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0123.html
It's very clear. Vaarsuvius IS woman.

"I'm surprised you don't have your own set, V."

They're *hoping* V is a woman. They're not sure if she is (they all wanted to see which bathroom V would go into into the dungeon, resulting in the "half-camel" discussion). The conversation makes them hope and think so, but then their hopes are dashed.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-03-10, 04:23 PM
V's gender is...

I got it..

Just a minute, gotta build that dramatic tension...

OK!!

Here is comes!!

V's gender is...

TA - DA!!

A Running Gag!!! It's a storytelling technique used to create humor and merriment!!

Leather_Book_Wizard
2007-03-10, 05:02 PM
You know, I would think that Belkar would have gotten the idea to take the Belt of Gender Changing from Elan and force it on V. Seems like something he would do.
However, I do believe V is male. As others have stated, Vaarsuvius is a masculine name. If V was a girl, her name would be Vaarsuvia.

DeathQuaker
2007-03-11, 03:40 PM
As others have stated, Vaarsuvius is a masculine name. If V was a girl, her name would be Vaarsuvia.

:vaarsuvius: : What is this "Latin" you speak of? I am an Elf. We speak Elvish.

Leather_Book_Wizard
2007-03-11, 03:49 PM
Wait, I have the real answer, the answer to every question ever asked here! The MITD is really the Blackguard Miko, who has traveled back in time and has a scroll with Belkar's Alignment and V's gender written on it! Standing beside her is the zombie Durkon, who has been reanimated and taken to the dwarven homelands.

I don't know
2007-03-11, 03:59 PM
Bah, this place needs more social sciences nerds. The word "gender" refers to the social aspect of male/female, not the physical one. It's quite obvious that V is ungendered.

That doesn't mean she's sexless or a hermaphrodite, though.

AyuVince
2007-03-11, 04:21 PM
PLEASE! Please people! Don't be cruel to the catgirls! They must be dying left and right now.

I don't know
2007-03-11, 06:03 PM
uh?

lorem ipsum

BisectedBrioche
2007-03-11, 06:19 PM
V is infact an avatar of the robotic ninja god. Sent from the future by Xykon's repentant twin brother Yxkon who wishes to save the world from Xykon's older brother, Jimmy, who will steal the MitD and force it to perform the safety dance for 100 years in order to drain the sanity of all who dwell in the multiverse while allowing Redcloak to have a popcorn free kitchen.

So the real question is if V's avatar is male or female. <_< >_>

Mr Teufel
2007-03-11, 08:25 PM
GARBAGE
"Androgyny"

When everything is going wrong
And you can't see the point of going on
Nothing in life is set in stone
There's nothing that can't be turned around

Nobody wants to be alone
Everybody wants to love someone
Out of the tree go pick a plum
Why can't we all just get along

Boys
Boys in the girl's room
Girls
Girls in the men's room
You free your mind in your androgyny
Boys
Boys in the parlor
Girls
They're getting harder
I'll free your mind in your androgyny

The Hammer of Thor
2007-03-12, 01:28 PM
Wait....Does V's spouse know what gender s/he is?
DOES V'S SPOUSE HAVE THE ANSWER?

Baalzebub
2007-03-12, 01:31 PM
V is V. period.

moleytov
2007-03-12, 02:26 PM
period. So female?

JetTheOne
2007-03-13, 12:23 AM
Well we may not know what V's gender is, but as in insight to what sex V is, I refer to OoTS #87 http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0087.html. I know only the OoTS comics and do not know of any information outside of that. Durkon says "unless he's half dromedary". So did Durkon know V before the Order was formed? Am I just a genius and I figured all of this out?

Vonriel
2007-03-13, 12:41 AM
Are these threads ground for justifiable homicide? Maybe I can plead self defense (of my sanity)! Yeah, that'll work.. Now, just need some napalm..

As to the actual topic: I have my own suspicions, but I believe The Giant will keep it a secret until he decides to reveal it. There are enough ambiguous references to her gender to allow this debate to go on until the end of time, and as of now there are only 2 people in the comic who definitively know V's gender: V, and V's spouse. As we're unlikely to meet his/her spouse, it leaves V to reveal this to us. And as V has no concept of the human side of the confusion, she most likely will never actually clear it up. Personally, I believe Haley knows it as well, but in feminine contempt for the idiocy of her comrades, she won't reveal it either. No, I'm not trying to make a sexist statement.

BisectedBrioche
2007-03-13, 08:01 AM
PLEASE! Please people! Don't be cruel to the catgirls! They must be dying left and right now.

Your upset about this?

Black Cat Godess
2007-03-13, 10:07 AM
Usually I avoid posting in these kinds of threads, though I do read them on occasion.

However, I wish to correct a little assumption people have been making concerning Latin and V's name. In Latin, there are five declensions, each having their own endings and typical genders. First declension, with at least three notable exceptions, is feminine, with the ending "-a" which is were most feminine names come from. Second declension is masculine and neuter, with the "-us" ending. However, the third declension has feminine, masculine, and neuter words that have a variety of endings. The word rex is third declension, for instance, and so is the name of the goddess of love, Venus.

Last I checked, Venus was a FEMININE name, not a masculine one. Yet as you can see, it has the "-us" ending. Keep in mind that second declension neuter nouns also have the "-us" ending.

Therefore, if V's name is derived from Latin, it could be masculine, feminine, or neuter in nature. The discussion of using V's name to determine gender has just become a moot point. Thank you for your time.

Vonriel
2007-03-13, 10:19 PM
You're also forgetting.. I think it's the fourth declension. -us -us -ui -um -u, which also has both masculine and feminine words.

kialos
2007-03-14, 12:43 PM
It might be Vesuvius (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=Vesuvius) just misspelled on purpose... meaning that V has an explosive temper...

Doompuppy
2007-03-14, 01:09 PM
It might be Vesuvius (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=Vesuvius) just misspelled on purpose... meaning that V has an explosive temper...

The Runes suggest that you're at least correct about V's temper.

JetTheOne
2007-03-14, 01:52 PM
The Runes suggest that you're at least correct about V's temper.

I do hope your kidding...

GiantofEntropy
2007-03-14, 02:30 PM
I always pictured V as female, for several reasons:
1) She always rooms with Haley, as has been mentioned.
2) She appears female to me, somehow.
3) Almost no Scifi-Fantasy shows have a 4:1 M:F ratio. A 3:2 ratio is much more common. Plus, a 3x2 rectangle just looks nicer than a 4x1 rectangle, know what I mean?

Vonriel
2007-03-14, 10:31 PM
Well, I've made my obligatory posts in one of the required threads, so I'm gonna move on before I actually become involved with one of these debates. Oh, and GoE, remember that V really doesn't have any standards of differentiation when it comes to gender: he/she/it is just as comfortable sleeping in the same room with a man as he/she/it is with a woman. Haley is probably happy that she has someone to share a room with who wouldn't try anything .. uhh, inappropriate .. while she slept. Buh-bye now!

Doompuppy
2007-03-15, 05:31 AM
I do hope your kidding...

'twas a joke upon a joke, aye.