PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Item Creation Question

Barbarian Horde
2014-04-14, 08:05 PM
Make sure I have this correct.
I have a 20,000g Item. Building it my self reduces the cost(50%) to 10,000g.
Now I have extraordinary artisan Feat (ECS53) which reduces it 25% more.
Now I also have Item Restricted to class or alignment (DMG) 30%
Again I also have Item Restricted to skill use (DMG) 10%
Stoping right there thats a total of 75% Cost reduction Our new price is 2,500g

Last I have Magical Artisan applied to an item creation feat I pick wonderous item. (PGF141) Another 25%

Final Price 1850

Now am I actually able to do this?

Sources
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1000.0

Vaz
2014-04-14, 08:13 PM
Only if you like a DMG shaped dint in your skull.

The restricted item costs are actually bonuses twofold; not only can you make it cheaper but also it prevents enemies using it. Any DM who lets you get away with the complete cost reduction handbook in play deserves all the pain he gets. From feats, fine, but not an arbitrary "Oh, I am a LE Artificer with three ranks in Lucid Dreaming, give me 40% discount cheers", that way lies stupidity for the campaign.

Barbarian Horde
2014-04-14, 08:16 PM
Rofl I saw the red ball. I know im dreaming. I seen the cheese so I was curious.

Septimus
2014-04-14, 08:31 PM
I think you can do this, but think about it a moment. If you can do this, it is a fair assumption for the DM that your enemies can also do it. So you will end up with loot that you can't use because you are not a Chaotic Evil Drow with 4 ranks in Knowledge Mucus. And a loot you can't sell as well because no merchant would buy such a thing. Would you endorse such a campaign where you're stuck with your starting equipment and a few hard gained coins ?

The key point here is that if you find any cheese and want to do it, you can expect the DM will do it as well. This is something that is recurrent and common to every system: most of the time, some particular rulings can give some benefits to the players, but in doing so they are loosing more in allowing such things to every one, themselves and enemies alike, than just ignoring them.

Afgncaap5
2014-04-14, 08:46 PM
I also recall a Sage Advice column (not exactly RAW, but still) where it talked about being reasonable with class-restrictions on magic items to reduce prices. It's assumed that if a magic item exists that's sort of "the way it is" since most people who make their own magic items make it for themselves and don't intend for it to be used elsewhere. (I think it was the same Sage Advice that claimed that the one soul-stealing metal from Complete Warrior didn't work unless it was specifically made into a weapon, though.)

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-15, 04:40 AM
The answer is: ask your DM (but probably no). The item creation guidelines explicitly call for DM approval. People like to treat them as hard rules, but they're just guidelines.
Some DMs allow a lot (though your case might be a little much), others allow no custom items at all.

Deophaun
2014-04-15, 05:26 AM
Last I have Magical Artisan applied to an item creation feat I pick wonderous item. (PGF141)
You're doing it wrong, silly! You apply Magical Artisan to Extraordinary Artisan.