PDA

View Full Version : Feats for the non-adventurer

WarKitty
2014-04-14, 08:06 PM
Just for fun, I decided to build my character's wife. Human, low-level druid resident in a farming community, heavy horse (think plowhorse) companion. What sort of feats/skills/spells should I look at? Probably serves as a combination farmer and local healer.

Grayson01
2014-04-14, 08:17 PM
Just for fun, I decided to build my character's wife. Human, low-level druid resident in a farming community, heavy horse (think plowhorse) companion. What sort of feats/skills/spells should I look at?

DO you want her to be a "Commoner" or want her to be battle ready?

Cause if just a "Commoner" I would say Skill focuse Handle Animal, Self-sufficent, Skill focuse Heal (if she is the village healer) SKill Focus Proffession Farmer or Survival, and stuf of that nature.

WarKitty
2014-04-14, 08:22 PM
DO you want her to be a "Commoner" or want her to be battle ready?

Cause if just a "Commoner" I would say Skill focuse Handle Animal, Self-sufficent, Skill focuse Heal (if she is the village healer) SKill Focus Proffession Farmer or Survival, and stuf of that nature.

Commoner. Her job is to solve problems around her little farming village, not fight. She's an initiate of the Warden of the Woods in eberron, though she doesn't really take part in much of their actual fighting.

Coidzor
2014-04-14, 08:43 PM
You take a look at that article about the Gleaner (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/gk7uKJeF296jRcx1NJw.html)?

There's a start.

Skill Focus: Profession.

Plant Growth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/plantGrowth.htm), The Spell.

There's some low-level druid spells from athas.org that would be of interest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16601094&postcount=66).

WarKitty
2014-04-14, 08:50 PM
You take a look at that article about the Gleaner (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/gk7uKJeF296jRcx1NJw.html)?

There's a start.

Skill Focus: Profession.

Plant Growth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/plantGrowth.htm), The Spell.

There's some low-level druid spells from athas.org that would be of interest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16601094&postcount=66).

No 3rd party/homebrew/etc.

I like the idea of skill focus and profession, but they just don't seem to do a lot here. After all, the main focus of the character is her magic abilities, rather than just being a farmer who happens to have class levels. More like a cleric who's also good with animals.

Palanan
2014-04-14, 09:08 PM
Touch of Healing is a nice feat if she qualifies for it--a reserve feat that would let her heal a few hit points at a time, which would serve for most needs around the farm.

If she takes a level of cleric, she could also take Sacred Boost, which spends a turn attempt to maximize any healing spell cast immediately thereafter.

Seerow
2014-04-14, 09:11 PM
What level druid is she? If she's just first level, she's not going to qualify for Touch of Healing or a lot of other feats/spells that could be suggested.

WarKitty
2014-04-14, 09:15 PM
What level druid is she? If she's just first level, she's not going to qualify for Touch of Healing or a lot of other feats/spells that could be suggested.

Probably first but I want progression planned out up until third level.

Thurbane
2014-04-14, 09:39 PM
Spontaneous Healer could be handy. Extend Spell for 3rd level maybe...

Seerow
2014-04-14, 09:40 PM
Probably first but I want progression planned out up until third level.

Okay so that's going to rule out plant growth, and most summoning spells. You can pick up touch of healing at 3rd level, but note that it requires a 2nd level spell slot have a healing spell prepared, and will only work on creatures below half HP, so may not be what you're looking for.

For first level feats, honestly I'd pick up Self-Sufficient or Skill Focus(Heal) or something like that. I can't think of much that would be useful or affect your spellcasting at those levels without being combat focused.

Edit: Actually I'll agree with the above post. Spontaneous Healer is great. Prepare utility spells to use throughout the day, if anyone is hurt, convert it to a heal. Shouldn't need that more than once or twice a day, and once you're level 2 or 3, carry around a pocket full of good berries just in case.

First Level Spells
Calm animal and Charm animal are both first level spells that could become very useful. Calm animal especially if she's acting as the local vet and taking care of hurt animals that might normally be inclined to lash out at her.

Goodberry is a great deal, giving her basically 2d4 mini potions of cure minor wounds, which can be given out to anyone human or animal that needs them. Having a berry in your pocket that can stabilize someone who's about to die is a benefit that can't be overstated.

Speak with Animals is another one that's very good if acting as a vet. I'm sure it's much easier if you can actually ask the dumb horse where it hurts. Other potential situational uses as well.

Delay Disease (spell compendium) can be used on sick villagers if you're having a hard time with your heal checks to cure disease and they're in danger.

Healthful Rest (spell compendium) is nice for her higher level friends (cure light wounds of goodberry is getting you around 5 hp. Healthful rest can double their healing. So if they come back injured she can use a heal check and turn their 4 hit points per level per day into 8 hit points per level per day). Probably won't come up since the party presumably has their own sources of healing, but worth noting.

Wood Wose(spell compendium) gets you a spirit servant for hours/level that can take care of simple tasks for you, potentially incredibly useful to a farming community. It does need to stay near you though.

Second Level Spells
Animal Messenger lets you send messages at a distance relatively quickly. Very useful in day to day life, even if only used to communicate with the next village over about plans for the harvest festival.

Delay Poison is useful for the same reasons as delay disease.

Lesser Restoration is always great.

Soften Earth and Stone can be useful for helping the community build things.

Wood Shape is very useful for the same reason. This can even be used to make more complex things, though with a failure chance.

Earthfast (Spell Compendium) just like the last two, very useful for helping with construction.

Easy Trail (Spell Compendium) is one of my favorite spells for traveling. I have no idea how useful it is in day to day life, but if she ever wants to go outside of her little area, this spell is great.

Mark of the Outcast (Spell Compendium) if she's acting as some sort of authority figure in the town, this can be used as an effective punishment for serious crimes.

One With the Land (Spell Compendium) +2 on all nature related skill checks. Useful.

Share Husk (Spell Compendium) lets you see through the senses of another creature. I'm sure there's uses for this.

Train Animal (Spell Compendium) want your heavy horse to do something that you didn't bother to teach it before? Give it a quick touch and now he can do it! Not sure how many animal tricks exist that this is going to be an issue for you, but if it is there you go.

WarKitty
2014-04-14, 09:57 PM
Nice ideas. So maybe at level 1 spontaneous healer and animal affinity. Maybe scribe scroll at 3 if she ever gets there, for spells you really need when you need.

Azoth
2014-04-14, 11:27 PM
If you can spare a 13 Int, Inscribe Rune might be better than scribe scroll. Runes take 10min+casting time of spell to create and can be activated by anyone without the use of UMD. All the intended target must do is touch the rune and it will trigger it. So she could put the rune on a piece of paper or wood chip, put that in a bag/envelope and just have the person it is intended for be the one to open it and touch the rune.

She doesn't need to be there to make sure it works. So little timmy comes to tell you his dad tripped and fell on his pitchfork and is bleeding bad but can get up, you give him a bag with a CLW rune in it and tell him to pull the pitchfork out then have his dad open the bag and stick his hand in. Boom! Farmer saved and she didn't have to stop what she was doing.

Yogibear41
2014-04-15, 08:28 PM
Skill Focus: Craft, Profession, Handle Animal, because normal people have to work for a living

Great Fortitude, because getting sick and dying sucks.

Run, so when bad things come you can out run the slower commoners and live.

Also it would probably make more sense if she was just an expert or an adept and not a druid, but to each their own.

WarKitty
2014-04-15, 10:24 PM
Skill Focus: Craft, Profession, Handle Animal, because normal people have to work for a living

Great Fortitude, because getting sick and dying sucks.

Run, so when bad things come you can out run the slower commoners and live.

Also it would probably make more sense if she was just an expert or an adept and not a druid, but to each their own.

For an eberron setting? My impression is that characters with PC class levels are a lot more common there than they are assumed to be in a normal setting. And Druid 1 is hardly gamebreaking. Maybe for the sake of fluff ignore most of the proficencies, so treat her as proficient only with a quarterstaff and with no armor. But the region fluff that I found specifically talked about druids, so she's a druid.

Edit: Also, see my previous comments on profession and skill focus. Village healer/vet/soothsayer is a perfectly good job. Mending, naturewatch, purify food and drink, calm animals, and speak with animals as spells prepped.

Coidzor
2014-04-16, 12:05 AM
I think it's more that if it's extremely dubious that this character will ever see even 3rd level, what difference does it make?

WarKitty
2014-04-16, 03:31 AM
I think it's more that if it's extremely dubious that this character will ever see even 3rd level, what difference does it make?

Some setting difference, plus the companion.