PDA

View Full Version : Artificers and PrCs

Thealtruistorc
2014-04-14, 09:30 PM
I love the artfificer. It is one of the most fun, versatile, and original classes in D&D. However, my artificer builds all run into the issue of prestige classing.

To my knowledge, not one prestige class offers an increase to infusions per day (including the blatantly obvious renegade mastermaker). That got me thinking, do increases in spells per day apply to infusions? If they do, I will be a very happy homonculus. If not, then I feel the arty gets really shafted in the prc department.

Zweisteine
2014-04-14, 10:19 PM
I think classes that advance casting advance infusing as well, but they do not give you craft points, which are very good for an artificer to have. (Though disenchanting items can help make up for it.)

Thealtruistorc
2014-04-14, 10:29 PM
What about using infusions to qualify? I.E. could I be an artificer 3/cleric 3/mystic theurge 6?

Ellowryn
2014-04-14, 10:33 PM
I agree with Zweisteine with infusions be advanced like spells, but the big problem with PrC'ing artificer is the feats. Getting almost all the crafting feats automatically, often a level or two earlier than when it can normally be taken, is the central concept of the class. And yes, after 5th level you really dont need take levels anymore for your craft reserve what with your retain essence ability.

The thing is, what makes the Artificer good is Everything it gets ALL together, without having access to all its abilities the class just plays like a weak version of a wizard.

Afgncaap5
2014-04-14, 10:38 PM
Actually, Magic of Eberron explains exactly how this works at the start of the chapter of prestige classes on pg. 53. Basically, they gain an increase in Infusions and Effective Caster Level as if they'd gained another level of artificer, but no other class features (so no crafting points).

Also: if the prestige class specifies that it has to be divine or arcane magic, the artificer *can't* use artificer levels to qualify for it. So, no, an artificer can't qualify for the arcane component of the Mystic Theurge prerequisites.

Edit: Checking further, this is even more restrictive. It seems that artificers don't qualify for things that require the ability to cast a certain spell. Having something like it as an infusion or being able to emulate the spell won't cut it.

The-Mage-King
2014-04-14, 10:48 PM
I agree with Zweisteine with infusions be advanced like spells, but the big problem with PrC'ing artificer is the feats. Getting almost all the crafting feats automatically, often a level or two earlier than when it can normally be taken, is the central concept of the class. And yes, after 5th level you really dont need take levels anymore for your craft reserve what with your retain essence ability.

Actually, the really essential feats are gotten... BY 5th level. You just need to find a way to pick up Craft Wand, which isn't that hard. Maybe stretch to 6th for Metamagic Spell Trigger, if you're going to focus on them.

The thing is, what makes the Artificer good is Everything it gets ALL together, without having access to all its abilities the class just plays like a weak version of a wizard.

...Honestly, I disagree. Infusions are crazy useful for buffing and arming yourself.

I've been running an Artificer, and I'm... Probably the second most damaging, and the first person turned to when "Alright, so we need an escape plan." Being able to give temporary item properties is POWERFUL. Especially the GOOD ones that are x/day.

Etherealness for 100 gp at level 5 scares me.

Ellowryn
2014-04-14, 10:58 PM
I wasnt knocking infusions, a weak wizard is still a wizard!

I was just pointing out that an Artificer probably wouldnt be as powerful as it is without everything that it has put together. They get 12 creation feats, the ability to add metamagic to wands, scrolls, and other spell completion items, and the ability to ignore the one huge glaring downside of crafting which is the exp cost all in class.

Does that mean its only worth going Artificer if you go 20 levels? No, but its one of the few classes that are this powerful without min-maxing.

Afgncaap5
2014-04-14, 11:49 PM
Theoretically, an Artificer has access to Wish as early as level 15. In some ways, an Artificer might even be *more* powerful than a Wizard. Especially since the reason Wizards are deemed powerful is that they can be crazy prepared. Artificers can do the same... they just have to work at it harder.

I definitely agree that an Artificer's effectiveness is greatly enhanced by the other class features it gets. Being able to just suddenly extend, quicken or persist an item is crazy useful, and prestiging out of the class before you get abilities like that can hurt. Which is good, really; the decision to choose a class level or a prestige class level should often give a player pause. (In my opinion, at least.)

prufock
2014-04-15, 06:35 AM
To my knowledge, not one prestige class offers an increase to infusions per day

Uncanny Trickster and Legacy Champion both progress class features from any class you already had, so presumably they work for artificers too. Sadly, UT is 2/3 progression rate and LC is 8/10.

Thealtruistorc
2014-04-15, 09:07 AM
Artificers are fine for the first 14 levels, as they continually receive bonuses and fun abilities (the ability to take ten on UMD is something I would never miss out on). It's level 15 when they give out, having absolutely nothing except bonus feats.

Yogibear41
2014-04-15, 08:21 PM
Anything that advances spellcasting but does not specifically advance divine or arcane spells can advance an artificers infusions. Infusions can be used to meet prerequisites of casting spells of the same level as long as they do not specifically say arcane or divine.

Page 53, Magic of Eberron for reference.