PDA

View Full Version : Good level 1 spells to turn to SLAs via Kobold Draconic Rite of Passage

NoACWarrior
2014-04-15, 01:55 AM
Hey everyone!

I'm looking through the 200+ level 1 spells for sorcerers but started to wonder if anyone thinks that a particular level 1 spell is more helpful to turn into an SLA.

I got the whole optimization thing for damage and other effects down, but I haven't been in many cases where utility is more important than damage or powerful effects.

Anyone have experiences from their game to justify a single level 1 sorcerer spell turning into an SLA (for which I will then take a feat to turn it to 3 uses per day instead of 1)?

Deophaun
2014-04-15, 02:12 AM
Benign transposition: I think 80% of the incidents where I saved someone's bacon involved this spell.

Enlarge/Reduce person: Reduce is probably more your thing for a kobold. Move through diminutive-sized holes with no penalties? Love to.

Grease: Shouldn't have to explain.

Hoard Gullet: Very thematic. Plus, you're small and have no strength to carry anything.

Nerveskitter: Because going first once a day, why not?

Power Word: Pain: Once a day, typos kill your enemies! Utility wears off at higher levels, though. But at low levels, you get to make your DM hate you.

Ray of Enfeeblement: Strength penalties are useful at all levels of play.

Unseen servant: This is your imaginary friend. His name is Bob.

NoACWarrior
2014-04-15, 02:26 AM
Ah nice, I didn't even think to combo with reduce person and slight build, great find!! -> but shoot won't work since I took Dragonwrought
As for benign transposition, it would be very helpful when the battle lines are messed up and the other spell casters are in danger.
For shame I forgot about grease :/
My kobold won't have very much strength and using hoard gullet to store a tent/bucket/ladder/winter banket/bedroll/10 days of firewood/alchemist station would be helpful.

Out of what I looked at I'll add these to the list
Blockade - stop the super powered spell from targeting you with a prepared action, no counter needed
Animate rope - people tell me this is good, but I haven't seen it used in a good way yet.

For more helpful parameters about what I want to see - a spell which is beneficial for all 3 times per day used as well. If the damage is very high, I'd like to consider it but I can't justify the lesser orb spells due to only doing 5d8 damage from a single cast.

morkendi
2014-04-15, 07:31 AM
Silent image. A ton of stuff you can do with this spell.

dextercorvia
2014-04-15, 08:56 AM
The Rite SLA has a few things going for it. First, it is a SLA, which means Standard Action activation (no matter the casting time of the original) and No Components. Second, its caster level is keyed to your character level, so if you are dipping around (or just not playing a spellcaster), you might want to make sure that it benefits from a high CL.

Based on that:
Nerveskitter is out -- it would suck as an standard action.

Silent Image (Silently since no components) is nice, but doesn't rely much on CL.

Free Identify is good, but you can buy that with Artificer's Monocle

Wall of Smoke covers a decent sized area with nausea inducing smoke. Not a bad utility if you aren't going to scale past where first level save DCs are possible to fail.

Sticky Floor can wreak havoc in a narrow place with it's hour per level duration. Other than that, it is about as good BFC as Grease (unless you want opponents flatfooted).

Hoard Gullet is a nice utility spell for a low strength character. It also answers the question, "Where is my spellbook?" when you get captured.

Inevitability
2014-04-15, 09:18 AM
It may not be the best spell you could choose, but Create Trap fits the kobold theme.

NoACWarrior
2014-04-15, 02:35 PM
Ah I didn't know that would happen when it turned into an SLA.

Grease was a pretty big front runner since I'll be making the kobold part spellthief (or thinking about it), but he will be getting sorcerer spells on top of that so I didn't know what would be useful.

lunar2
2014-04-15, 08:56 PM
the draconic rite of passage does not say that it converts the casting time to a standard action.

the text in the players handbook on spell like abilities says it has a casting time of one standard action unless noted otherwise in the ability or spell description. In all other ways, a spell like ability functions just like a spell.

so yes, nerveskitter as an SLA is an immediate action, as normal, while a long casting time spell still retains its casting time as an SLA unless it is specifically stated otherwise in the specific SLA description.

dextercorvia
2014-04-15, 10:43 PM
Excellent, my mistake. Not sure what I was remembering.

lunar2
2014-04-15, 10:53 PM
oh, it did have the standard action text. you just missed the part right after it, which was what i italicized. basically, it is just referring to the general rule that abilities default to standard actions when no action is specified.