PDA

View Full Version : What If? ...art upgrades were more than just art upgrades...

Rusty
2014-04-15, 06:55 AM
What if art upgrades had some story relevance too? I mean, the Snarl is literally a tapestry of creation gone foul. And with each gate that gets dismantled, some upgrade follows, usually in the form of art style. I have been around for a while, but I don't check the forums too often, so forgive me if something similar was brought up before.

I'm sure it's probably just an art upgrade, though. :) But I thought it was fun food for thought.

Knaight
2014-04-15, 01:36 PM
The main issue here is that the art upgrades track to the end of the story arc, and not immediately after the gate. If they all started the strip after the gate was destroyed, this would be a stronger hypothesis.

Rogar Demonblud
2014-04-15, 01:39 PM
True, but maybe the universe just needs a little time to re-code the graphics, as it were. Or maybe it's a really major Signamancy spell.:smalltongue:

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-15, 01:51 PM
I agree with what Knaight said. The upgrade came a little late to be a reflection of the Snarl coming into the world. Also, you think a large shift in the physical make up of the world would raise at least one comment from a character.

NerdyKris
2014-04-15, 02:34 PM
The main issue here is that the art upgrades track to the end of the story arc, and not immediately after the gate. If they all started the strip after the gate was destroyed, this would be a stronger hypothesis.

Also, where was the art upgrade after Soon's gate was destroyed?

SavageWombat
2014-04-15, 03:03 PM
Don't assume that the Snarl's disruptions only propagate through time in one direction.

Keltest
2014-04-15, 03:31 PM
Also, where was the art upgrade after Soon's gate was destroyed?

As soon as the party got to the western continent, you could see some very minor graphical changes, such as Roy's breastplate now having a V-neck.

ClockShock
2014-04-15, 03:57 PM
As soon as the party got to the western continent, you could see some very minor graphical changes, such as Roy's breastplate now having a V-neck.

And Soon's gate was the smallest, hence the smallest art upgrade.

It all makes sense now!

Keltest
2014-04-15, 04:07 PM
And Soon's gate was the smallest, hence the smallest art upgrade.

It all makes sense now!

Im actually curious now. Is there a pattern in the number of comics between when a rift blows up and when an art upgrade happens? It seems like there is one per rift. Even if its totally useless information, its interesting totally useless information!

Rusty
2014-04-15, 05:55 PM
Also, you think a large shift in the physical make up of the world would raise at least one comment from a character.
Technically, the story begins with such a comment (from V), as changes are already happening. ;)

Im actually curious now. Is there a pattern in the number of comics between when a rift blows up and when an art upgrade happens? It seems like there is one per rift. Even if its totally useless information, its interesting totally useless information!
That's kind of where I was going with this. I don't expect it to ACTUALLY be relevant. But it seems a funny/interesting coincidence is all. :)

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-15, 06:00 PM
Technically, the story begins with such a comment (from V), as changes are already happening. ;)
Yes, so if they would notice a world-wide change like that, you would think that they'd notice another change and comment again. Also, the other characters were still able to feel the changes occurring, even if they weren't sure what was happening.

Keltest
2014-04-15, 07:07 PM
Yes, so if they would notice a world-wide change like that, you would think that they'd notice another change and comment again. Also, the other characters were still able to feel the changes occurring, even if they weren't sure what was happening.

fourth walls are strange things indeed.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-15, 08:02 PM
fourth walls are strange things indeed.

Indeed. The breaking of them creates all sorts of wonderful contradictions and absurdities.

Kish
2014-04-15, 08:54 PM
I wonder how many threads will have titles which are written to be the continuation of the thread's tag.

NerdyKris
2014-04-16, 01:05 PM

But that was nearly a full year after the gate was destroyed, is my point. A full book later as well. So the theory so far works 2/3rds of the time. And we didn't see an upgrade when Lirian's gate was destroyed either.

The theory, if we're going to take it seriously, doesn't hold up unless you really squint at it.

King of Nowhere
2014-04-16, 01:29 PM
That's kind of where I was going with this. I don't expect it to ACTUALLY be relevant. But it seems a funny/interesting coincidence is all. :)

Art upgrades tend to be at the beginning of a new book. Cause rich has to remake all the basic figures he twist about, and that takes time, and so better to do it in the hiatus.
Gates tend to explode near the end of a book. cause their explosion is a pretty dram<ztic effect that generally singal the end of a story arc.

So it's no coincidence at all. they are just two events that tend to happen in the break betwee books.

137beth
2014-04-21, 07:26 PM
I wonder how many threads will have titles which are written to be the continuation of the thread's tag.

What if thread tags were more than just thread tags? What if they had some sort of plot relevance? For example, when the snarl was young, the forum was wild. There were no categorizations of threads. There was a single thread for all of OOTS rather than separate threads for each page.
As the snarl ordered itself into a planet, the forum became organized as well. First, it was sorted into different threads and different boards. And now there are tags. It must be a sign! The Snarl is disentangling itself! It is forming a stable reality all its own!

Keltest
2014-04-21, 07:53 PM
What if thread tags were more than just thread tags? What if they had some sort of plot relevance? For example, when the snarl was young, the forum was wild. There were no categorizations of threads. There was a single thread for all of OOTS rather than separate threads for each page.
As the snarl ordered itself into a planet, the forum became organized as well. First, it was sorted into different threads and different boards. And now there are tags. It must be a sign! The Snarl is disentangling itself! It is forming a stable reality all its own!

you fool, don't you see? WE ARE THE SNARL! These forums shall consume all creation, and organize it in our own image!

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-21, 07:56 PM

Every single event that is going on in this world is more than it seems. Every single real-life event is plot-relevant and is due to the Snarl's reemergence into this world. There is no escape from its reach.