PDA

View Full Version : Part 1: The Half-Dead City [PF]

Pages : [1] 2

Askel
2014-04-15, 08:30 AM
Wati - Sunburst Market - Noon

The bustling desert city of Wati is near bursting with excitement. Adventurers from every corner of the Inner Sea region have assembled here beneath the hot Osirian sun to explore the tombs of the city’s necropolis, waiting only to be assigned their first sites for exploration. Surrounding the participants, the public has gathered to observe the ceremony as well. There is a festival-like quality in the air, and numerous street vendors are hawking goods and refreshments to participants and spectators alike. Some merchants have even brought what can only be considered adventuring gear to sell as last minute convenience items to explorers, while others advertise that they’ll buy recovered treasures and antiquities from those who visit their establishments.

In front of the imposing edifice of the Grand Mausoleum, on the opposite side of the Golden Lake, an immense awning has been erected between decorated pillars in the market to provide shade for the priests of Pharasma overseeing the lottery. Beneath the awning, two urns sit atop a table elevated a few feet above the ground on a wooden stage constructed for the event. The high priestess of the Grand Mausoleum, Sebti the Crocodile, sits behind the table, while two acolytes confer with her at either side. Surrounding the stage on almost every side are clumps of adventurers, quietly whispering with one another.

Not five feet from you, a group of rough-looking halflings are chatting animatedly and laughing. All but one of them have pints of sweet-smelling mead, which they are frequently clanking together in toasts to one thing or another. The leader of the halflings, a grizzled looking fellow with dusty colored studded leather armor and a nasty looking war hook on his belt, watches the stage grimly, keeping a little apart from the others. On your other side, a group of women are watching the other groups warily. Two of them, identical twins, look more akin to cats on the prowl than adventurers awaiting exciting news. Each of them is dressed in shapely leather; it is unclear whether this armor would actually offer any real protection in a fight, given how much of each of their bodies it leaves exposed. Their eyes fall on your group, and one of them winks; the other smirks devilishly, eyeing the men amongst you. Not far away, you can hear a male voice, speaking louder than he realizes.

"-gonna show them, won't we? A couple a mummies and a solid gold urn and maybe a diamond and ruby encrusted mirror... Teh heh heh, that'll show them they declined the wrong guy, won't it?!" he is saying to his three companions.

Looking in that direction, you see a mismatched group of what looks like it could be a Nexian, and a Qadiran priest of some sort... the speaker is difficult to place, but standing next to him, gaze scanning over the rest of the crowd evenly, is a hellknight in full regalia. Several people are giving him uncomfortable looks, but he has yet to respond to any provocation, or speak at all, for that matter.

Up on the stage, Sebti the Crocodile looks up to the sun. Her posture is unmistakable, as much so as the excited tone of her acolytes whispered voices; the ceremony will soon begin.

Kyte
2014-04-15, 09:18 AM
Jun stands with the rest of her crew among the other adventuring parties. Her intelligence is hidden behind her broad smile and pint of mead as she watches the crowd, observing their competition. One of the halflings catches her watching their group and stares at her. She smiles even wider and raises her pint in a toast. She takes a long swig as a hot breeze blows through, sending her red hair flying around her face like a lion's mane. When she lowers her mug the halfling isn't watching her anymore. She turns her attention to a group of women nearby, taking note of their choice of dress.

Huh... they gonna seduce the tombs into submission?

At this thought she looks at Gaston and gives him a hard elbow. No doubt he had already seen them. "Hey..." She says quietly in his ear. "Y'know you probably got a few minutes if you wanna..." She makes a light whistle and smiles while gesturing at the twins. "And that's all you need right? Ha, ha!" She smacks him hard on the back and turns her gaze back to the crowd. A loud voice catches her attention and she looks for it, seeing a man talking to what were probably his companions.

Hm, he seems motivated... might have to find him after he's found his loot and-

Her eyes stop on the hellknight.

How did I not see him sooner? Is he with them?!

She quickly shoves her dusty hat down over her face and raises her mug to her mouth. To any passerby it might seem like she was drunk off her arse and looking into her mug for more meed.

He's not looking over here, he didn't see you. You're fine. You're okay. Even if he did see you he probably wouldn't recognize you. It's been a long time. No one knows what I look like now.

She inhales deeply, immediately regretting it as the mead scent fills her lungs. She lets out a cough, but holds her position.

Odentin
2014-04-15, 10:35 AM
Gaston stands tall and proud among his companions, his armor (polished to a mirror shine last night) gleaming brightly in the sun, and blinding those who look his way at the wrong angle. His eyes fall immediately on the seductress twins, and he returns their lustful gazes with a charming smirk of his own. He contemplates walking over to speak with them, but thinks better of it, what with the drawing coming up so soon...

"Hey..." She says quietly in his ear. "Y'know you probably got a few minutes if you wanna..." She makes a light whistle and smiles while gesturing at the twins. "And that's all you need right? Ha, ha!"

The elf turns his smile upon the gunslinger, his eyes glinting mischievously, "You wound me, my dear. You should know better by now, and I would love to give you some first hand experience in the matter, if you require."

Giving her a slight nudge with his elbow in return, he continues scanning the crowd until his eyes fall upon the hellknight. He continues looking at the assembled groups, but moves to shield Jun from the man's view (and possibly blind him, if lucky). Silently, he urges the lottery to begin, anxious to get into the tombs and plunder some riches.

"How much longer?" He asks no one in particular.

Logeg
2014-04-15, 11:58 AM
Kendrick chuckled at Gaston's question how much longer this will take, but doesn't look in the man's direction. Instead he kept watching the crowd around them... although his eyes were constantly drawn to the twin. "It seems this ceremony is under control of a priestess and you know how long priests make ceremonies last. Waiting is the first step to a better afterlife." Perhaps there was some blasphemy to his words, but it was more meant as self-deprecating. The holy symbol of Sarenrae was proudly depicted on his shield and he would never make a secret of it that he was a cleric himself.

Slowly his eyes left the twins and went to the members of his group. The Goddess had brought these people on his path and he was very curious to see where this path would lead to. But he held faith in his religion and knew She would guide and protect him. It was not wealth or power he sought for himself, but anything that made him capable of serving his Goddess better, was welcome. He knew the members of his group all had their own secrets and bad habits, but Kendrick had enough believe in his skill to read people that he felt he could trust them. But it would surely be interesting to get to know the others better.

His armour and outfit showed very well that he spend long times on the roads, travelling from town to town to help other people or to fight the dangers that threatened the world. More than once he had been at the right place at the right time. His scimitar had killed enough monsters while his herbs had healed people. He wondered what was asked of him the next few weeks, months and years. Hopefully there would be enough time to enjoy a drink and some good company.

Mathemagics
2014-04-15, 01:41 PM
Salera gives an impressed whistle at the sight of a fully-decked out Hellknight in the middle of the desert.

"Now that's dedication to your work, definitely wouldn't wanna be stuck wearing all that in this heat."

Reminded of the oppressive desert temperatures, she brushes her braid back, not that it does much good when it slides back into place almost immediately. Glancing over quizzically at Jun's sudden attempt to hide her face, she gives a brief smile (apparently misinterpreting the precise nature of the gesture).

"Eh, I wouldn't worry much about it though. He'll probably only get involved when people get too rowdy, ya know?"

She raises her other hand towards her mouth, taking a bite out of the kebab-like snack held there. Talking around the food as she chews, she turns toward the others as she waves the morsel vaguely about with a contemplative look on her features.

"Hey anyone know what this stuff is? I mean, it's not bad or anything, actually pretty good. Just I have no clue what it's supposed to be...."

Phasm
2014-04-15, 03:02 PM
Mai is munching on a gnome-sized falafel pita with a mug of cool mint tea in her other hand, looking around at the other adventurers with bright, curious eyes. "I hope he has magical enhancements or spells to keep cool, otherwise heat exhaustion will become a problem, even the toughest of fighters wilt eventually in sun like this. Not me, though! I get to wear nice comfortable robes." She had them cleaned the day before, removed the toughest stains with prestidigitation, and braided her sky blue hair up in intricate loops that get her hair off her neck and out of her face in addition to looking good. The brightly polished brass ankh on her chest proclaims the sorceress' devotion to Sarenrae. "Are you excited, everybody? I am! I can't wait to see what kind of tomb we get! I hope it's one with interesting architecture, different periods built things in different ways, you know. And treasure! Treasure is exciting too!"

She looks up at Salera, squinting against the sun. "I do believe that is a kebab, Salera. Usually they're made of lamb or mutton, although chicken, beef, and goat can also be used. It can be a bit difficult to tell the red meats apart when the sauce or marinade is especially strong, which is just as well because mutton and goat aren't popular with many cultures and of course the vendors here are selling to people from lots of different countries. I like goat though! That's the type of meat we mainly eat in Yavipho." Mai glances up at the podium. "Ooh, we'd better finish up soon, once the ceremony is over I bet it'll be chaos when everybody starts toward their assigned tombs." A bite of falafel briefly silences the talkative gnome.

LordHavelock
2014-04-15, 04:23 PM
Vezhar regards the twins in the group with the same glint in his eye as Gaston, exchanging glances with him and then Jun in turn but not saying anything. Decked in loose fitting garb from head to toe, and with a patterned keffiyeh wrapped around his neck and head, only the ifrit's expressive amber eyes show through. Unlike Jun, who seems to have a particular reason not to draw attention, Vezhar is simply content to keep as much of himself shaded from the sun as possible, with the added advantage that drawing back his lightly billowing cloak and scarf make for quite the dramatic flair when revealing the burnished copper color of his hair and the too-ruddy tone to his skin. Might be he'd have to see the effect just a gesture would have on the paired girls in their leather 'armor', compare tips about combining form and fashion, but in truth, it's halfings he considers more seriously. The pack enjoying their drinking wouldn't concern him so much were it not for the grizzled looking fellow observing the priestess with interest equal to his own companions, and even if he's only hired the lot of them to do the leg work, that's plenty of legs to be doing it and an able organizer could have a half-dozen tombs looted before the week was out with all of them working in cohesion.

The talk of food brings him back to the moment however, as he samples a few of the dried dates he acquired from a vendor by reaching up and under his scarf. "Of course, there's plenty of vendors who'll spit and roast anything they figure will look like goat, mutton, or beef." he says, somewhat teasingly to Salera, trying to gauge the reaction of those members of their new band he's not as familiar with. "I remember plenty of vendors at the arena who got away with selling wild dog or worse. Too gamey for my tastes, but as long as you're enjoying what's in front of you . . ." He shrugs and pops another date in his mouth, turning his attention up to the mistress crocodile.

Mathemagics
2014-04-15, 04:49 PM
The chewing slows, almost coming to a standstill as Salera listens to the plantetouched's teasing. Her gaze drifts once more to the remaining portion of the kebab before she very deliberately swallows, then with a shrug of the shoulders takes another bite and resumes eating at a normal pace once more. Once again paying little attention to the manners her mother tried very patiently to teach her years ago, she talks with her mouth full.

"Well, works for me! Still pretty tasty!"

Finishing off the rest of the snack, she casually flings the miniature wooden spit over her shoulder while wiping the grease off on the leg of her pants. This time she elects to finish swallowing her food before speaking as she surveys the crowd (or at least the portion she can see over, which isn't all that much).

"Sure are a lot of people here though, huh? I mean I guess it's a big deal and all but I didn't expect it would be this busy? I mean what do they do if there's not enough tombs or something?"

Odentin
2014-04-15, 05:19 PM
Smirking at the exchange between his friends, Gaston takes a deep breath in, taking in the scents of the different spices and foodstuffs being peddled nearby. Of course, its impossible not to catch some musky pheremone scents from the congregation of beings in the area, but one can look past the less pleasant ones, "I'm sure the clergy accounted for the number of tombs when they accepted registrations. If not, then some groups will be left out. Not us, though. I am confident that we'll get one of the most trap- and treasure-laden tombs in the whole necropolis."

Seemingly unimpaired by his own metallic armor, he takes stock of the armors of the rest of the crowd. Mostly leathers. All the better that the shining hero actually shines amongst the crowd.

Askel
2014-04-15, 06:41 PM
"Be silent, now."

The talking around the stage ceases immediately as Sebti the Crocodile rises to her feet. She surveys the anxious crowd, her face passive and calm. Beneath her Pharasmin black mantle is a face (https://www.flickr.com/photos/50080651@N04/13605449834/) that is surprisingly young for one holding such a distinguished position. Her green-stained lips are pressed tightly together, her face stony as she looks out over the crowd before her. Though each of you can sense her disapproval, you can also feel the air of confidence and authority emanating from her. Whatever her age, you can tell, this is not a woman to be idly trifled with.

Sebti closes her eyes and makes the sign of the Lady over her heart, then begins to speak.

"May the Lady's judgement visit all in its appointed time; not this year, not yet."

The two acolytes on either side of Sebti repeat part of her invocation.

"Not this year, not yet."

Following the example of the acolytes, many amongst the crowd echo the words, with some stragglers quickly following suit. There is a moment of awkward silence, and many of the adventurers shift uneasily. Near the back of the market, a merchant is still calling out to people near him to buy his discounted dates, but his voice is distant and barely heard. Sebti the Crocodile opens her eyes once more. She surveys the crowd again, her expression somber.

"Four thousand years ago, the city of Wati was founded. For many years, our ancestors were blessed by peace and prosperity. Wati would have thrived, perhaps, had not the cult of Lamashtu come. On that day, on that year, the cult of Lamashtu released on the city a plague, the scourge of Wati. It was a Plague of Madness that affected all. The Lady's halls overflowed as the population of this city dwindled, its people driven to madness and death by the disease. For centuries, this city was abandoned."

Sebti pauses in her story, allowing her gaze to rest upon one or two of the adventurers in the crowd.

"In the year 2953 AR, the church of Pharasma returned to Wati led by the high priest Nefru Shepses, and the Grand Mausoleum was established. The old city was walled off, and the settlement was allowed to grow once more, untroubled by the Plague of Madness. The necropolis, as it came to be called, was consecrated in honor of the city's dead, and gradually was overshadowed as the new city grew. Over the next seventeen-hundred years, Wati became the jewel it is today. Now, it is a relic of an age long past, a tribute to the will of the Lady. At long last, by the command of the Ruby Prince, our pharaoh, the tombs of the necropolis are opened."

Sebti the Crocodile smiles at all of you, though it is not a smile of pleasure nor happiness.

"Let the lottery begin! Although many of you have requested specific sites to explore, we must leave these matters to fate. The Lady of Graves is a far better judge of destiny than we of this mortal sphere. The gates of the necropolis will open at sunrise tomorrow. Use this evening to prepare yourselves for the task ahead. Let these rules guide you in your endeavors in this holy place: remember how this came to pass; every slave's hut is a memorial; honor the departed."

Sebti's smile vanishes as she recites these rules. The meaning of each rule is implicit in her words, and though she does not speak, her eyes give voice to the consequences should any of these rules be forgotten.

"May you go with the Lady's blessing," she says, then turns her back on the crowd and returns to her seat.

The two acolytes accompanying her each approach one of the urns and reach in. An excited whisper overtakes the crowd, and every head is craned to better see. The acolytes each draw from their urn a single wooden token bearing markings on its surface and give them to Sebti.

The priestess looks at the coins, then calls out, "Step forward... Daughters of the Desert."

The group of women near you whisper amongst themselves, then their leader, a tall, attractive Ulfen woman, steps up to the stage. She shows Sebti her own token, to which the priestess nods and quietly begins to talk. Her words are too low to make out, but after a few moments, she hands the Ulfen woman a rolled up scroll. The woman steps off the stage as the acolytes draw forth the second set of tokens.

"Step forward... Cryptfinders."

This time, it is the loud man near the Hellknight who responds, brushing off his tunic and hurrying forward.

"Get a good one, Falto!" the Qadiran cleric urges him.

Falto steps on the stage and, after presenting his own token, is given a few words and a scroll.

"Step forward... Dog Soldiers."

The grizzled halfling grins, snatches one of the tankards of mead from his companions' hands and downs it in a single gulp, then strides up to the stage. A few moments later, another token is drawn. Sebti looks at the token and purses her lips with distaste.

"Step forward... Raiders of the Lost Ankh."

Odentin
2014-04-15, 08:05 PM
Gaston takes the emblem and strides forward with the measured, practiced gait and upright posture that only decades of private schooling can bring, his armor bouncing blinding light across the crowd as he walks.

When he arrives at the stage, he gives a deep, respectful bow to Sebti and presents the emblem without speaking.

Askel
2014-04-15, 10:00 PM
One of the acolytes takes the token and places it before Sebti the Crocodile, who glances at it and nods to Gaston.

"Each group will receive three locations to explore. Your first location has been determined to be the tomb of Akhentepi. Go there and explore as much of it as you can. What treasures you find are yours to keep, or to sell here in the market, if that is your wish. When you have thoroughly explored this tomb and deem the tomb clear, return to me and I will give you your second location," she says quietly to you as she hands a rolled up scroll to you, "This is a sketch of the necropolis. The location of Akhentepi's tomb is marked upon it. Now go, with the Lady's blessing."

With that, she gestures for you to depart.

Sebti speaks to Gaston for a moment, then passes him a scroll like the others. As he starts to step off the stage, Sebti calls out, "Step forward... Scorched Hand."

A tall woman dressed in regal finery unlike any of the other adventurers in the market strides boldly past Gaston. She eagerly reaches for the scroll in Sebti's hand, but whatever Sebti tells her is obviously not what she wanted to hear. Even as he rejoins the crowd, Gaston can here her "Tch" at Sebti, followed by her feet stomping across the stage as she follows after him.

"Finally, step forward... Sand Scorpions."

A woman dressed in the finery of a Tian approaches the stage, though her face is kept hidden by a veil. Her group is the largest present, however, and consists mostly of men, all of whom stare shamelessly at her as she walks away from them. A few moments later, and the lottery is over. Sebti the Crocodile and her two acolytes do not address the crowd; they stand upon the final entry being picked and step off the stage without a word, walking together towards the Grand Mausoleum as the crowd begins to disperse, everyone abuzz with excited chatter.

Odentin
2014-04-15, 10:24 PM
Gaston bows again, taking the scroll back to his friends and ignoring the rather impolite woman behind him. When he finally reaches the group, he breaks his perfect stride and grins like a madman, showing off the scroll, "See? I told you we'd get a good one. Tomb of Akhentepi. Come on, let's get back to the tavern and talk shop over some pints."

Kyte
2014-04-15, 10:49 PM
Jun watches as Gaston heads to the stage, taking note of his protectiveness.

If I didn't know any better I'd say he didn't have ulterior motives...

She glances toward the hellknight again.

Okay, I overreacted. I admit it. It's not like he knows what I look like. Look, he's not even paying attention.

She runs her fingers over her holster with her free hand, feeling a bit better as she feels the familiar groove of a star carved into the leather. She tilts her head back up defiantly (not that the hellknight was paying attention) as Gaston comes back... and is immediately blinded by his armor.

"Jeez, man..." She squints at him. "Aren't you hot under all that?"

See? I told you we'd get a good one. Tomb of Akhentepi. Come on, let's get back to the tavern and talk shop over some pints.

She smiles after blinking the brightness from her eyes. "You read my mind." She thinks a moment. "I heard someone mention the Tooth and Hookah... and their mascot. Sounds like a charming place. Shall we go? I think it's that way." She points north, where much of the crowd seems to be dispersing to.

LordHavelock
2014-04-16, 01:48 AM
Removing his scarf to beam at Gaston as he returns, Vezhar steps forward to clasp hands with the man to whom he owes his freedom. "With you Gaston, there was never a doubt. What did you do, slip the priestess a few coins so she'd draw from the good urn?"

A glance back at Jun at the mention of the Tooth and Hookah doesn't so much brighten his smile though the copper plumes of his hair seem somehow emboldened, radiant even. "Sounds like a plan to me. We can show these foreigners how a proper Osirian drinks; and I don't just mean you fine folk from Sothis either." He winks at Mai and Kendrick in turn.

Logeg
2014-04-16, 03:59 AM
Patience was a virtue and Kendrick normally had enough patience to deal with the longest religious ceremony or to hear two groups argue their side of a story before making a judgment, but right now he hoped it wouldn't be too long before they explored the tomb. No one had been there in ages and who knew what secrets were to be found. But Gaston made a good point. "A few drinks sound great, or more than a few." He said with a grin. "Doing some relaxing would be nice before we explore old dusty tombs."

Naturally it would be wise to be mostly sober when they did their exploring. You never knew what traps and other dangers such places held. But the road to Wati had been long and he hadn't had the chance to drink away the sand and dirt.

Odentin
2014-04-16, 10:27 AM
"I heard someone mention the Tooth and Hookah... and their mascot. Sounds like a charming place. Shall we go? I think it's that way." She points north, where much of the crowd seems to be dispersing to.

"Sounds good to me, lead the way!"

"With you Gaston, there was never a doubt. What did you do, slip the priestess a few coins so she'd draw from the good urn?"

"Gold is not the currency these priestesses deal in. Like most powerful types, respect and deference are the keys to their good graces." Gaston says with a wink.

"A few drinks sound great, or more than a few." He said with a grin. "Doing some relaxing would be nice before we explore old dusty tombs."

Gaston claps Kendrick on the back as they walk, "We have all night, my friend! The tombs open tomorrow at dawn. Time for some last-minute shopping or prayers or-" he glances over at Jun with a playful sneer, "-just barrels and barrels of beer."

Askel
2014-04-16, 11:50 AM
The Tooth and Hookah isn't far from the Sunburst Market; you follow the road north, then cut west by northwest, passing by several blocks of dusty tan and painted white buildings, all short and flat-topped. Throngs of people move and bustle along all around you, gossiping and chatting in Osiriani about the lottery, and about the latest business venture from the Tarworks, and about a sighting of a sphinx along the river, and more than anything, about day to day life in the desert city.

You walk passed several inns and houses, and more than a few shops big enough to warrant their own building. Near your destination is another open air marketplace, this one filled with brass lamps and striped rugs and all manner of odds and ends. Just beyond the market, though, the city grows quieter, if not outright somber. You can feel the shadow of the necropolis nearby, and a strange silence emanates from the north; in a way, the silence is more obtrusive than the loud chatter and buzz of the people from the market. It's difficult not to feel somehow grim so close to the old city.

Suddenly, there ahead of you, is your destination. A canvas awning stretches over the doorway, casting a pool of shade on the avenue. A flag hangs from the awning, painted with a grinning green crocodile sinking its teeth into a golden hookah. The doorway beneath the awning is curtained, but you can hear the sounds of tavern activity within. Pushing through the curtain, you all enter the Tooth and Hookah together.

Inside, you are at last blessed with a little shade and darkness as the mud-brick walls and ceiling do their job of warding off the blazing sun outside. The floorboards rasp under your boots; a fine layer of sand covers the floor. Pillows shaped like crescent moons surround low, round tables. Water pipes of dinged and dented brass with painted enamel bases sit in the center of each table. Clay bowls filled with the stubs of unlit candles hang from the ceiling. Filtered light from the curtained doorway leaves the room dim at best. Numerous counters crowd against the walls, making it difficult at first for you to actually spot the bar.

This inn seems more like a miniature market than a tavern. Old books overflow on a table next to a counter covered with cheap-looking necklaces, bracelets, and earrings. Wispy scarves embellished with tiny shining coins hang on a rack in a corner. You spot the bar in the opposite corner: a tall, narrow table, its legs hidden by a cotton skirt patterned with faded yellow palm fronds, its surface covered with colored glass cups, bronze decanters, and an assortment of liquor bottles. A low stone ring at the end of the bar marks an indoor well. A haze of smoke hangs in the air, mixing with the very slight mineral smell from the well in the corner.

Nearly all of the tables are occupied, mostly by Garundi locals, though there are a few foreigners mixed in amongst them. An intimidating, muscular man with close-trimmed hair curled over his brow stands behind the bar with a ceramic carafe in hand, which he is pouring into one of the patron's cups. He glances at you as you enter the tavern, but his gaze doesn't dwell on you for long. To him, you're just more customers.

Odentin
2014-04-16, 12:15 PM
When Gaston hears that a sphinx has been spotted nearby, his ears immediately perk up. He hands the scroll off to one of the others and promises to meet up with them later on, and proceeds to start questioning people, trying to discover anything he can about the sighting...

Diplomacy (Gather Information): [roll0]

After a couple hours, though, when it becomes obvious that no one has any more information that might lead to the fabled sphinx, Gaston gives up. Disappointed, he instead wanders off to procure a hireling for the expedition, someone to carry his gear...

Kyte
2014-04-17, 09:56 AM
As Jun leads them to the Tooth and Hookah she realizes she only has a general idea of where it is. That being north.

Well, I'm sure it won't be hard to find. Fake it 'till you make it.

She stops with the others as Gaston passes the scroll to her.

He must have heard some interesting gossip in the crowd.

"You know where we'll be... but hurry back. We'll miss you." She gives a sly wink and continues to "lead" the others on. Through sheer dumb luck (or maybe the place was just in a good location) she finds the place. It's flag waves in the breeze, beckoning them to come inside or maybe its just her imagination. She smirks at the picture on the flag and leads the way inside. Most of the tables are full, so she sits in the nearest one open and gestures for the others to follow.

"Nice place." She says, just the barest hint of sarcasm showing through; enough that you don't know if she's being serious or not. She unrolls the scroll on the table for everyone to see. She bites her lip as she looks it over. "Tomb of Akhentepi..." She whispers, trying to find it on the map.

Logeg
2014-04-17, 01:15 PM
"What do you all want to drink?" Kendrick asked as he offers to buy the first round of drinks. The place is quite crowded so he lets his eyes wander a bit over the people present. This time not so much on the hunt for pretty girls, but more to see if there is any sign of trouble. Large gatherings with drinks aren't always the safest places. But of course if there is someone nice around, he will make sure he at least sees it.

Once everyone had requested a drink, Kendrick made his way over to the bar to order.

LordHavelock
2014-04-17, 02:31 PM
"Ale, the darker the better." Vezhar responds to Kendrick, securing a table large enough for them to gather at and discuss whatever needs be. Without much in the way of proper schooling and education, the name of the tomb means little to him, but the preparations for exploring it present themselves much more readily to his mind. A bit of legwork by way of preparation can wait till after they've enjoyed some drinks, gathered their respective resources and spirits, and besides, the tavern may very well be a fine place to pick up information, even if it's only rumors. Experience had taught Vezhar it always pays to be prepared, but preparing for 'anything' and everything is a daunting task without at least some notion to go on.

"Anyone with some contacts or knowledge of the more learned sort know anything about this Akhentepi?" He posits to the Raiders assembled, simultaneously wracking his brain for anything he might have heard in his long years living in Wati as a slave and otherwise.

Knowledge (Local) for any verifiable knowledge about the necropolis as a whole, including rumors and the like.
[roll0]

Mathemagics
2014-04-17, 04:04 PM
"Ah, I'll just have whatever. Anything's fine, thanks!"

Leaving Kendrick to handle the drinks, Salera follows Vezhar over towards the claimed table. Flopping down unceremoniously on one of the many floor pillows, she leans back against a handy wall to relax. When the query about the tomb comes up, she scratches as the side of her temple contemplatively while gazing at the low ceiling. Clearly the answer is written somewhere up there!

Knowledge (Arcana) roll to see if the name might come up in connection with anything notably magic or such.
[roll0]

"Hmm... it doesn't sound familiar...? But I couldn't really tell ya if that's because I read something about it and forgot or if it never came up in the first place. My parents were kinda single-minded when it came to what they tried getting me to read, ya know?"

Phasm
2014-04-17, 05:06 PM
Mai grabs an extra cushion from an unoccupied table and stacks it on top of one at their table. One of the nice things about Osirion is that people sit on the floor most of the time; it's easier for a gnome to simply stack two floor cushions than to figure out a way to raise the seat of a human-sized chair enough for her to reach the table. "I would like tea, cold if they have it. I'm so thirsty, I would end up getting drunk on beer or mead or whatever, and that's just not a good idea right now." She leans her spear against the wall, climbs onto her seat and folds her legs under her, seemingly unhindered by her robes.

Askel
2014-04-17, 06:15 PM
The table Jun finds for you is more than large enough to fit all of you, and there's even an extra pillow for Mai to sit on so that she's level with everyone else (more or less). Not far away, a Garundi man grins at all of you, showing dazzling white teeth as he begins to pluck at a harp before him, filling the smoky room with a soft music that somehow mixes with the atmosphere of the place, melting away the day's troubles.

The bartender smiles as Kendrick approaches.

"You look like a man with quite a powerful thirst," he notes, then adds with a sly grin, "And a pretty powerful sunburn to go with it. What can I get for you, friend?"

Vezhar
Aside from the brief history spoken earlier by Sebti the Crocodile, you also know that the necropolis is closed off to visitors, save for the rare few permitted by the Grand Mausoleum personally. They only ever give permission to those wishing to pay respects to the dead or, very rarely, to bring a villain to justice. In fact, one such fortunate is a man named Farhaan Jehaya, who was allowed to go into the necropolis with a party of adventurers to bring to justice a mad necromancer. The hero's tale has become a bard's story, and ends with the man establishing the very tavern you now sit in, the Tooth and Hookah. Such tales are rare, though. The necropolis is normally off limits to all, foreigner and native alike.

You've also heard stories, though, of criminals who sneak in. Gangs and smugglers, who use the necropolis both as a storage place and a farm to draw the materials for Mumia, a local drug. This is a dangerous law to break, though, as there are rumors that the dead of the necropolis do not sleep as peacefully as would be hoped. The Grand Mausoleum has offered no comments to confirm or deny this, however.

As for Akhentepi... You've hard the name. He was some ancient champion of the pharaoh or something like that, though the exact details of his life escape you.

Gaston - Hours Later

The hot sun beats down on you as you mingle with the people crowding the busy streets of Wati. You are heedless of where your feet take you as you listen and, on occasion, speak. Many of the locals are friendly to you, doubly-so as they realize that you are bound for the necropolis on the morrow. More than a few attempt to sell you "amulets of good luck" and "certifiable potions of protection" but at any inquiry of a sphinx sighting, all you hear is uncertain mumblings of a sighting from the friend of a friend here or a second cousin there. No one has actually seen the sphinx, so far as you can tell.

After hours of wandering and mingling, you find yourself in the southern outskirts of the Asp district, the open desert glaring menacingly at you. As your thoughts turn to returning to the Sunburst Market and hiring someone to carry your loot, you take note of a large sign across the street from you. The sign is of a camel bearing several massive packs beneath the desert sun, and the words beneath the camel mark this building as Terhk’s Fine Expeditions. The doorway is open, and inside, you can see a cool, dark room. As you approach, the cool air on your face is refreshing, and inside, your eyes take a moment to adjust to the sudden shade.

The room you find yourself in is fairly small, lit only by the light from the front doorway. Several doorways obscured by thick brown curtains lead deeper into the building, and you can hear the sound of talking and laughter somewhere beyond. The walls of the room have large scrolls with fearsome faces drawn on and descriptions, penned in Osiriani. Several large swords are mounted in between, one or two of them still stained with dried blood. A large ten foot square table is set near the back of the room, between the two doorways; the center of the table is removed so that a towering, scar-riddled half-orc has room to stand. He growls a greeting as he sees you enter.

"Grghagh... Welcome to Terhk's Fine Expeditions. Yeh here fer a job, a contract, or are yeh jes' lookin' fer' a whuppin'?" he asks you, scowling.

Odentin
2014-04-17, 09:06 PM
Gaston gives a very slight bow to the half-orc in reply, not deigning to utter a greeting. Instead, he takes a moment, looking about the tent and allowing his eyes to adjust to the low light before replying, "My group and I are to enter the Necropolis tomorrow, to clean out a tomb that I am sure is filled with treasure and fraught with dastardly traps to protect it. I thus find myself in need of a hired hand, to help shoulder the load. Both to carry some of my gear, leaving me more able to handle the traps that might otherwise spell the end of my friends and I, but also to assist with the emptying of said tomb."

He turns to look the half-orc straight in the face and puts on his best charming grin, "I was told this would be the place for a brave, strong hireling without the exorbitant extra charges some others tack on. Honest and straightforward, they said. Is this true?"

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Logeg
2014-04-18, 08:36 AM
Kendrick smiled at the bartender. "A blessed day to you, may the sun keep your customers thirsty and too warm to be interested in causing trouble." He spoke with a grin and then placed his order for himself and his group, keeping things simple by just going for dark ale for the men and a similar drink for the women, based on their drinking habits in the time they had been travelling together.

Askel
2014-04-18, 10:11 AM
In the Tooth and Hookah
The man behind the bar nods, smiling at Kendrick as he turns to fill several mugs. As he does so, Kendrick notices something floating in the water of the well in the corner. Looking closer, he can see that it is -

"Ah, I see you have noticed Toothy," the bartender says, "He floated in one day a few years back, probably from an underground stream. Since then, I've made him something of a local mascot."

Indeed, floating in the well, happily splashing his tail, is a tiny crocodile, no longer than Kendrick's arm (though perhaps wider). The crocodile notices the attention and shifts so that he is staring back at Kendrick and the bartender.

"Don't worry; he doesn't bite. Not unless you got it coming, I should say," the bartender adds, "Your drinks are ready, by the way."

In Terhk's Fine Expeditions
The half-orc growls an affirmative.

"Aye, gragh... Yeh'll find no better hirelings anywhere in the city; I got a guy wit' the balls fer it if yeh got the coin," he says, narrowing his eyes suspiciously and looking over Gaston's dress.

After a moment, he nods approvingly.

"I'll accept nothin' short'a a gold coin a day fer my guy's work, paid in advance, and I'll need yer blood on a contract guaranteein' 'is safety," the half-orc says.

Odentin
2014-04-18, 11:23 AM
Gaston nods, though stay silent a moment, thinking it over in his head, "That does sound reasonable. However, I am unsure of how long this excursion will take. What is your policy if we return later than expected? I will, of course, pay for any extra days I keep your man in my employ."

Logeg
2014-04-18, 01:25 PM
Kendrick studied the 'mascot' for a short moment, a smile on his face. "Interesting creature, I will try to stay on his good side." After paying for the drinks he brought them to the table and made sure everyone had something to drink. "So, do we need to make any plans for tomorrow's adventure?" He then asked. He was good at helping others, but this group was still rather new to him.

Kyte
2014-04-18, 08:02 PM
After a few minutes of staring at the map Jun lifts her hands off of it dramatically. "I got nothin'." The map rolls back up with a soft thwap. It was then that her companion returned with drink. "Good timing!" She grabs a glass before he can set them down and takes a long swig. "Mm... not bad." She adds after she's done, licking her lips.

So, do we need to make any plans for tomorrow's adventure?

"Plans?! We don't need plans." She sees the look on their faces and smiles reassuringly. "Don't worry too much. I mean as long as we're all careful-" She pulls her gun out of her holster and sets it on the table. "-which we are. So we'll be fine!" She reaches down and pulls something out of a small pouch. She places it in the bowl of the hookah, grabs a pipe and once the airflow is clear and the coals are burning takes a puff. Twirling her gun absentmindedly she glances over her shoulder at the Garundi man playing a harp, listening to the music. Her shoulders slump a bit as she relaxes. "You know... we should get a hireling, to carry all our stuff. Where's Gaston when you need him? He's good at that kinda stuff." She continues to watch the musician as she speaks. "Man, that's good stuff." Whether she is speaking of the tobacco or the music is unclear.

Mathemagics
2014-04-18, 08:43 PM
Seeing that Jun has finished with it, Salera reaches for the scroll and picks it up herself, holding the object open in front of her as she leans back further into the cushion. From the expression on her features, it's fairly easy to tell that she's doing so more from curiosity than any real intent to study its contents. A moment or two passes, and she releases the scroll with a shrug, letting it drop to the table. Sniffing tentatively at the smoke rising from the bowl, her face momentarily screws itself into a reflexive look of distaste before her usual smile reasserts itself.

"Hmm... Think I'll pass..."

Her attention turns back to Kendrick as she reaches for her drink once again. Taking a sip, she continues to sink further into the pillow and has now managed to end up below even Mai's eye level.

"Yeah, pretty much what Jun said though. It's just an old tomb, how hard can it be? I'm sure we can handle a couple traps, or mummies, or whatever it is ancient Osirions keep in their long-untouched necropolises... necropoli? No, definitely necropolises... maybe."

Askel
2014-04-18, 09:05 PM
Terhk's Fine Expeditions

The half-orc barks out a raucous laugh.

"Grah ha ha ha hark! If'n yeh aren't back by the time yer all outta time, yer gonna lose yer hireling. We do offer a full cash back plan, a'corse. If yeh pay ahead'a time and don't need my boy no more, I'll refund yer in full. How's that sound, eh?" the half-orc asks, grinning and revealing yellow-stained teeth.

Odentin
2014-04-18, 09:21 PM
Gaston smirks, wondering silently just what kind of spellcaster this half-orc is, "And I am sure I will have a receipt and contract to insure such a promise?"

LordHavelock
2014-04-18, 09:48 PM
Vezhar greets Kendrick and the tray of drinks with a congratulatory pat on the back, accompanied with a deft hand to help balance the tray and a broad grin at the Sarenite as he serves himself with the mug of dark ale. The next few moments are spent in equal parts rapt attention to Mai and Jun's musings, though his mug does not leave his lips as he takes a series of long slow pulls on the tepid brown ale with so much relish it's a surprise there's any left after setting it down, which he only does to observe the rings and trails of smoke Jun puffs from the pipe, with an airy, idle curiosity. Though his smile never dims, Mai and Jun's seemingly flippant attitude towards their venture into the necropolis does cause him to arch an eyebrow.

"Necropolis is the appropriate term, unless you are referring to tombs located here in Wati and in another necropolis in another city." He says with a casual arrogance and his tongue in his cheek as he chides Salera with no ill-intent. "You must remember that it is a portion of this city itself which we will be exploring, and it is not simply superstition and taboos which keep travelers from exploring and pillaging the necropolis regularly. It is a hallowed, and un-hallowed place, and unlike the great tombs of the pharaohs you'll find elsewhere, was not built to be wholly a city of the dead. Death itself claimed that portion of this city, and death defends it. The living who travel their without the blessing of Pharasma or other divine powers court death without a mediator, and that is a most dangerous game to play."

As he speaks, his tone takes on an increasingly haunting quality, as he begins to gesture and swirl his hands in the rising smoke from the hookah and ambient haze of the tavern, and it's only after his extended speech that one notices the wry grin now written across his previously solemn and ghastly features. He shrugs and laughs, as one who has just a particularly riveting campfire tale.

"At least, that is what one learns through rumors, and tales meant to scare foreigners and children. I know for a fact that their are certain bands of thieves and villains who regularly raid the necropolis for not only plunder, but ingredients to a most potent narcotic. Some may seek shelter their, but I doubt for very long, as the necropolis is not a particularly inviting home, even for foolhardy thieves. There's tales of madder folk though, necromancers who've sought to turn the necropolis to their malign purposes, and before now, the only ones allowed inside are the agents of the grand mausoleum itself, and those they permitted to combat such threats. Farhaan Jehaya was one such brave soul, a local hero who defeated a powerful necromancer and retired to found this very tavern."

Phasm
2014-04-19, 01:34 AM
Mai takes her mug of tea with a smile and both hands, accustomed to handling oversized (by gnome standards) dishes by now. "Vezhar is right. The ancient Osiriani were very cunning with traps and mazes, too. I hope Gaston is as good with traps as he claims, we're going to need that skill! My sorcerous bloodline is celestial, so my powers will help with any undead we encounter, even more than normal magic of my level. I can heal people too! People of good heart, that is, I don't judge personally but my magic does. Sorry." She carefully sips her tea. "Oh, speaking of ancient Osiriani, does anyone here speak their language? I only know the modern version, and I can sort of get by with the ancient version, but it's hard."

Kyte
2014-04-19, 08:41 AM
Jun takes notice of Vezhar watching her smoke. She focuses her full attention on him as he begins to speak. When he finishes she raises a brow and smirks. "I didn't know you knew so much about the subject." She takes a another puff and blows it in his direction. It smells vaguely of lime. "This all sounds typical to me. I'd rather deal with danger when it's in front of me, 'stead of trying to guess what it could be for hours."

Vezhar is right. The ancient Osiriani were very cunning with traps and mazes, too. I hope Gaston is as good with traps as he claims, we're going to need that skill! My sorcerous bloodline is celestial, so my powers will help with any undead we encounter, even more than normal magic of my level. I can heal people too! People of good heart, that is, I don't judge personally but my magic does. Sorry. Oh, speaking of ancient Osiriani, does anyone here speak their language? I only know the modern version, and I can sort of get by with the ancient version, but it's hard.

"Me and Gaston have seen our fair share of traps. We know how to deal with most of 'em..."

'Cept for that 'one'...

"I speak the ancient language. It's just different enough from Osiriani that it's a pain in the arse to learn." She takes another drink of the dark ale. "I can teach ya the basics sometime..."

Logeg
2014-04-19, 09:52 AM
Kendrick enjoyed his drink while listening to the words of the others. When the ancient language came up, he grinned as being a cleric of the Goddess had given him some benefits in this life. "I have some experience with the language as well, enough to know the language has 22 different variants of the word 'trap', depending on it location, deadliness and efficiency. Strange enough they only had one word for 'kiss' while I would think that too can very vary. But even going over the basics might take longer than we have before our little adventure begins, unless you don't mind pulling an allnighter." There was somewhat an offer in those words since Kendrick absolutely was not blind to the exotic beauty of the gnome.

Askel
2014-04-19, 11:36 AM
Terhk's Fine Expeditions

"Yeah, a small contract. Read it o'er and sign it, and I'll give yer a receipt token, dependin' on how long yeh specify. Once the time's up, though, my guy's outta there, leavin' yer stuff on the ground where it lies. No funny business, neither. I take pride in my guys; if some'n happens ter one'a em, yeh'll be payin' his guild dues for the next year, and coverin' consecration 'n funeral services. Sound like a bargain, then? Yer want me ta fetch a contract fer yeh?" the half-orc asks.

Odentin
2014-04-19, 06:00 PM
Gaston smirks and reaches for his coinpurse, "Please do."

Askel
2014-04-21, 10:59 AM
Terhk's Fine Expeditions
The half-orc grins in reply.

"A'right then. One moment," he says to you, then disappears into one of the backrooms. After several minutes, he comes back out, a pair of large round reading glasses on his face. A tall, bald, muscular Garundi man follows him out, nodding to you blandly as he sees you. The half-orc has a sheet of papyrus paper clutched in hand, which he is reading over as he walks, mumbling to himself.

"Right then. Gotta fill in some-er these blanks..." he mumbles, and begins to pen in numbers on the contract. As per your directions, the contract is for thirty days, and he collects the gold from you, putting it all into a leather pouch before dropping it into a lockbox behind his counter.

"Right then. If yeh'll sign on the line, yer contract'll be all set and yer can go with yer new baggage mule, harkgrhahaha," he snorts, "Jeware, yeh take care'a yerself. 'Member, if there's any fightin', yer stay outta it. S'not what yeh got paid fer."

Once the final details are settled, Jeware follows Gaston out, going so far as carrying his bag for him as they return to the Tooth and Hookah.

Don't y'all worry about Jeware's stats, but know that he has a strength score of 16 for purposes of how much he can carry. Cheers!

The Tooth and Hookah
You spend the rest of the day in relative relaxation, enjoying the music and atmosphere of the Tooth and Hookah. Serving girls come by several times to refill your drinks and offer you food (for a price) and, when the sun starts to descend, the hanging lanterns from the ceiling are lit, creating a warm and pleasant glow amidst all the tobacco and smoke. Shortly thereafter, the bartender approaches you to offer you rooms, gesturing to an almost concealed stairway leading up to the second floor. For a fee, he puts you up in pleasant, private quarters. The beds are comfortable, and you are not disturbed again.

The Following Morning - Shortly Before Dawn
You are awoken very early by the same Garundi man who was tending to the bar yesterday. He visits each of you in your rooms, awakening you to inform you of the dawn's coming. Breakfast is complementary, and consists of a bowl of sliced desert fruit for each of you. You are alone in the bar, though, all the other patrons still being asleep. Even the man at the bar seems groggy.

Outside, the night air is cool. An unlit glass lantern on a nearby building is covered in frost, and huddled in an alley between two white sandstone homes, an old beggar is wrapped in brightly colored blankets, shivering. Walking up the street a dozen meters from you are several distinct parties of adventurers, some of whom you recognize from the lottery, some of whom you don't. You join with them, walking east towards the nearby necropolis. The walls of the dead city loom over you like a stone shadow. Above them, the sky is starting to brighten with a scarlet hue.

The adventurers all gather around the closed gate leading into the necropolis, waiting patiently for the Pharasmins to arrive. The crowd is larger than that which was assembled for the lottery.

"Must've been a couple different lotteries, I figure," a half-elf near you whispers to his Varisian friend, "I thought that was too small of a group to explore the whole necropolis...

There is a sudden buzz through the assembled adventurers as Sebti the Crocodile strides through the crowd to stand before the gates of the necropolis.

"Good morning, explorers, Sebti says, her voice neither friendly nor warm, "The awaited hour is now at hand. Before these gates open, I would impart upon each of you a few final words of wisdom, an explanation of the great rules.

"First, I bid you remember how this came to pass! The Plague of Madness was unleashed upon the city of Wati while religious authorities were engaged in infighting. Do not forget that the necropolis remains a holy place, and those who engage in needless conflict and banditry are not merely criminals; they are accursed. You have been warned.

"Second, I remind you that every slave's hut is a memorial. Every structure within the necropolis is a testament to the people who lived and died in the city. You must not desecrate or vandalize standing structures and tombs, but preserve them as the memorials they were intended to be. Some structures may be trapped or decrepit, but willful and unnecessary destruction will not be tolerated.

"Third, I implore you to honor the departed. The dead should be treated with dignity and respect. If the interred need to be disturbed to recover an antiquity or relic, they should be returned to their resting places carefully. It is understood that the ancient dead are often brittle, but there is no need for the contents of a sarcophagus to be summarily dumped on the ground. If the dead should arise, however, and become the undead, you are permitted to do whatever must be done."

Sebti looks up, suddenly, to the sky. As if on cue, light lanced out over the wall of the necropolis, the fingers of a great hand reaching out over Wati.

"Very well. Let the gates of the necropolis be opened; the Lady's Grace be upon you all."

With those words, Sebti stands aside as her acolytes strain and pull the gates of the necropolis wide. Sand caught in a slight breeze slides over the ground. Just within, you can see the great black Needle of Pharasma rising up to the heavens, a marker for the dead and living alike. The crowd around you surges forward as parties excitedly enter the dead half of Wati, breaking off to head in different directions, as indicated by the sketches given them at the lottery. Your own sketch shows a route leading straight east, right through the necropolis almost to the far wall. There, it shows, you'll find the tomb of Akhentepi.

There is a chill as you pass through that gateway. All sound seems to change somehow as you enter the necropolis, as though the voices and laughter of the living no longer belong here. The shadows of the buildings are dark and gloomy, and every mound of sand holds a silent menace to it. There are creaks and groans from the buildings around you as you walk. Jeware looks around nervously as he follows you, reshouldering his bag to a more comfortable position.

Abandoned archives and old, dusty taverns leer at you. A large stone temple towers over some of the other buildings, dedicated to some ancient god of Osirian. An ancient, rotted wooden door creaks and groans as you walk passed it; for the barest hint of a moment, you think that you see eyes within watching you, but further investigation reveals nothing. It is just an old, dead home.

One large, dusty building even seems to sing at you. Every few second, you can hear an old, catchy tune, but as soon as you stop walking to listen, the sound ceases. By the time the building is behind you, you're sure it was just your imagination. All the same, throughout the day, fragments of the tune still catch in your mind...

As you are passing an ancient, pitch black well, little more than a pit now, you know you are close. Sure enough, two more blocks and you can see it: the tomb of Akhentepi, in all its "splendor".

A rectangular stone mausoleum sits alone in what appears to have once been an actual cemetery. The trunks of a few dead trees poke out of the sand around the tomb, and a hot breeze whistles through their desiccated branches. A set of massive stone double doors is affixed to the northern side of the structure, beneath a facade bearing the likeness of an Osirian man. Windblown sand is heaped around the crypt, partially burying the doors that lead within. Ancient Osirian hieroglyphs decorate the doors.

Akhentepi

Born: 2416 AR
Died: 2488 AR

Odentin
2014-04-21, 07:22 PM
Standing before the structure, Gaston lets out a low whistle, "Well. That's imposing. Anyone want to figure out what those symbols mean? Or should we just get on with it?"

LordHavelock
2014-04-21, 07:47 PM
Vezhar does his best to keep his eyes on the path, having donned once more his loose-fitting garb to cover most of his body, down to his fingers, now grateful for the keffiyeh wrapped around his neck and mouth for the warmth it provides. It also keeps him from whistling, as the tune flits several times through his mind, an ominous portent he prefers not to put too much credence in, however else he might feel about such things. Once arrived at the tomb, and hearing Gaston be the first to remark, he claps the Avistaner on the back, "Glad to hear our trapsmith is the first to volunteer to enter. I'll be right behind you, my friend." He says cheerfully, setting a hand on the hilt of his gladius and drawing a torch with the other, prepared to light it as soon as the doors to the tomb are opened.

Mathemagics
2014-04-21, 09:14 PM
The walk to the tomb is a bit of an adventure in itself, and Salera can't help but constantly turn her eyes to and fro, taking in the sights of the necropolis as the group picks its way through the silent streets. As they arrive at their destination, she takes a moment to study the inscription carved into the doors before giving a hopeless shrug with a smile.

"Beats me! Never learned to read squiggle! Probably not important though; I mean, I don't expect they'd be so helpful as to... I dunno write down a list of all the horrible traps visited upon intrepid tomb raiders such as ourselves? Ya know, something like 'Beware the third step dooooown, lest ye be visited upon by an angry mongooooose!'"

She suddenly breaks out of her exaggerated imitation of a stereotypical ghost with a laugh. Give an amused shake of the head, she moves to stand near the doors.

"Nah, I'm sure it's fine though. Long as we keep an eye out, it ought to go pretty smoothly, don't you think? Come on, I say we get inside before it starts getting too hot out here."

Kyte
2014-04-21, 09:35 PM
Jun awakens a bit too early for her taste. She doesn't remember getting to the Necropolis very well, but she is sure she yelled at someone... most likely the person who woke her up.

When Sebti finishes her speech and the gates open, all of Jun's grogginess is washed away. Her eyes light up excitedly as she surges forward with her group.

Finally... long speech.

A chill washes over her as she passes through the gates, making her cover her arms instinctively.

"Creepy..." She glances at Jeware. "Ready to see some spooky ghoooosts?" She laughs out loud, but the joke is for her own benefit, not the hireling. She looks at the other buildings as they walk, taking notes on each of them. Once they find their assigned tomb she unfolds her arms, not realizing she had kept them that way. She walks up to the doors and takes a glance at the edges, gently running her fingers over the words carved into stone.

Well. That's imposing. Anyone want to figure out what those symbols mean? Or should we just get on with it?

"Well, it says Mr. Tepi died at the ripe old age of seventy-two." She shrugs. "That's 'bout it."

Glad to hear our trapsmith is the first to volunteer to enter. I'll be right behind you, my friend.

"How kind of you, sir." She gives a faux bow to Gaston, smiling charmingly. "I recommend giving the door a good push."

'Course, there's probably a latch or something...

perception to notice anything odd around the door, like a latch or a pressure plate [roll0]

Askel
2014-04-21, 09:46 PM
As you all look the doors over, something does catch your notice: there is no discernible way of opening the doors. There are no handles, or levers, or knobs, or anything of the sort. These doors, ten feet tall and wrought of thick, solid stone, don't even have any visible hinges. Even were entry possible, sand has piled high up on the doors, and will need to be cleared away if they are to be opened.

Checking the doors over, though, Jun sees that the hinges are cleverly concealed on the inside, so as to allow the doors to swing outward, towards you. Looking even closer, she sees telltale traces of mortar along the seams and jamb that has since crumbled or been chipped away, indicating that these doors were meant to be sealed permanently. Right along the center crack where the two doors meet, Jun can make out the faintest of scratch marks that can only be one thing: the markings of a crowbar that was used to pry these doors open at some point in the past.

Logeg
2014-04-22, 06:54 AM
"Perhaps we should knock?" Kendrick suggested although it wouldn't promise much good if that actually worked. "On a more serious note, I do have my shovel with me that might be useful in clearing some of the sand, unless we can find another way in."

The previous night had been fun and Kendrick had made sure to have gotten enough rest, but still he was somewhat groggy this morning. In his one hand he held his shield, the other was close to his scimitar although he didn't really expect to be attacked first thing upon entering. Then again, if he was some undead monster that wanted out, the entrance/exit would be the perfect place to wait.

Odentin
2014-04-22, 01:24 PM
Assuming Jun notifies the group that the tomb has been opened before (or at least that someone tried to open it), Gaston steps forward to inspect the door more closely, muttering to himself, "Unlikely that the door was trapped by the creator, and even if it was, the thieves would have disarmed it or set it off. Still, they may have left us a nasty surprise when they closed it again. Let's see here..."

Perception to search for traps: [roll0]

Mathemagics
2014-04-22, 03:47 PM
"Hmm, don't suppose there might be another way in? Like a kind of hidden side entrance?"

Salera wanders over to peer around one of the corners of the building with a thoughtful expression on her features.

"Think I'll take a quick look around it just to see, be right back."

And with that she set off.

Assuming no unusual interruptions or actually finding something, Salera will do a single circuit around the building, keeping an eye out for anything unusual.

Perception Check:
[roll0]

Kyte
2014-04-22, 04:48 PM
"On second thought, looks like they need a good pull, not a push."

She tilts her head.

"Looks like someone's been here before us."

Perhaps we should knock?

"Heh, that's funny... anyone got a crowbar or something we can wedge under it?" She watches as Gaston searches for traps. "Seems pretty vindictive to leave traps for other thieves..."

Askel
2014-04-22, 04:50 PM
You spend a few minutes circling the building, but it is actually not very large. You find nothing, unfortunately; no secret doors or entrances; not even a window or a crack. It seems that the front doors are the only way into Akhentepi's tomb. From somewhere in the necropolis, you can all hear a distant crash, like stone doors being blasted asunder. Someone else, at least, has found a solution to enter their own crypt, though the quiet following the blast is, if anything, even deeper and more disconcerting.

"I will assist with clearing the sand," Jeware says with a thick accent back near the front doors..

Assuming someone helps Jeware with the shovel, the sand can be cleared in about five minutes.

Odentin
2014-04-22, 05:23 PM
"Never heard of a gang war? Narcotics dealers tend to be pretty territorial, even against other criminals. Doesn't look like it's trapped, though. Let's get this clear."

Gaston proceeds to help clear the sand from the door.

Phasm
2014-04-22, 08:36 PM
Mai looks as if she's going to join in for a moment, but then common sense (which is not so common in gnomes) asserts itself. She has no shovel, and her little hands aren't going to be of much use shoveling that much sand. The sorceress sighs, then turns toward the rest of the necropolis to keep watch for threats. She frowns as a muffled boom echoes through the tombs. "I wonder if that's magic or Alkenstar blasting powder? Either way it's not very smart. The priestess said that we were to be careful of the buildings, and there's going to be enough chances of meeting the undead as it is! I bet they made some ghost or mummy quite angry. I certainly wouldn't like it if people blew up my house."

Odentin
2014-04-23, 08:59 AM
Once the sand is cleared, and it becomes apparent that no one thought to bring a prybar, Gaston begins racking his brain for ideas. It doesn't rake long.

"Jeware. My hammer and a piton, please."

Once retrieved, he hammers the piton into one of the doors at a 45° angle across the other door. He then takes the rope from his own pack and affixes it firmly to the piton, before stepping back, now at 90° from the piton.

"Here we go, everyone grab hold and pull on my mark!"

At least with this, even if we don't get a bonus, we can all aid on the Star check...

Logeg
2014-04-23, 09:17 AM
As Kendrick helped to clear the sand with his shovel, he was quite sure that he had asked the previous night if they needed to go over some things. Bringing a crowbar might have been useful but as a cleric he had more use for a shovel than for one of those. Luckily Gaston seemed to have an idea once the sand was out of the way, so Kendrick naturally assisted in that attempt.

LordHavelock
2014-04-23, 11:50 AM
Vezhar steps up to his point on the rope and hauls for all he's worth.

Strength Check [roll0]
Any chance we can take 10 on this one?

Mathemagics
2014-04-23, 12:08 PM
After failing quite miserably to help in the attempts to open the tomb door, Salera decides to stop "helping" and gets out of the others' way. Her usual smile is (at least momentarily) replaced by a scowl of frustration as she crosses her arms and looks around the surrounding streets. An irritated grumbling is just audible in the silence of the necropolis.

"Wonder if those guys with the explosives had any extra..."

Askel
2014-04-23, 02:52 PM
It takes the better part of an hour for you to get the doors open. The stone is thick, and remains as hard as ever despite the age, so hammering in several pitons secured to a rope is difficult work. Even upon finishing this, it is back-breaking work for all seven of you together. You pull and strain with the rope and slowly, bit by bit, the massive doors crawl open. There is a final effort, a final strain, and the rightmost door on which you were pulling is fully open, revealing the interior of the tomb.

What you see, looking in, is a fifteen foot by twenty foot rectangular room, empty save for some engravings and fixtures upon the walls and an immense stone wheel against the south wall (the doors opened from the north). The air is stale, and a layer of dust and sand covers the floor, lying in a thicker layer to the south. All four walls bear sunk-relief engravings and hieroglyphs, while small stone faces are affixed to the walls at about shoulder height in each corner. The stone wheel to the south is engraved with a large spiral and is set in stone tracks in the floor and ceiling. The ceiling is only ten feet high, giving you a strong "underground" vibe, despite the building's outdoor placement.

http://i.imgur.com/69pSXJz.jpg

Odentin
2014-04-23, 08:04 PM
Throughout the process, Gaston strains and heaves, slowly starting to look more and more deflated. Once the door swings open, though, he takes a few deep breaths before bringing himself to his full erect height, beaming and triumphant, as if the past hour had never happened. He takes a hit off of his canteen and proceeds into the room cautiously, searching for any nasty little surprises, particularly around that wheel. Also, in case the controls for the wheel can be located...

Perception vs traps: [roll0]

LordHavelock
2014-04-23, 09:20 PM
Vezhar makes a great show of not only hauling and straining against the rope, even as he does in fact haul and strain and try his hardest, and over the course of the next hour takes several opportunities to roll up his sleeves, displaying the bright copper tone of his preternatural heritage and by the end has stripped down entirely to the waist, with his keffiyeh still wrapped about his neck but not longer retaining heat for his breath and head. His smile does not fade or dim, though he does grit his teeth against the strain and the brighter red hair upon his head acquires a sheen of sweat which causes them to bead together almost like quills that stand up from his temples. 'Amazing how much more rewarding labor is when there's on one to crack the whip.' The former slave reflects, recalling those few and blessedly brief times when he was forced into hard labor both before earning a position as a pit fighter, and occasionally afterward as a form of punishment. Occasionally, he shouts an encouragement or two, particularly to Gaston, as he sees his friend's usual bravado begin to flag, given that the stuck door offers no opportunity for witticisms nor flirtation.

Once the chamber is revealed however, he makes good on his earlier jibe, allowing Gaston to enter first, followed by whoever cares to pass in as he redons his desert garb and gear, slackening his gladius in it's sheath, just in case and drawing out a torch, though he does not yet light it.

"A rather spartan affair." He comments, entering what strikes him as some sort of morbid antechamber for those awaiting an audience with the Death's herald, "Do we feel the need to be as thorough in our examination here, or does this second door present an odd enough challenge to warrant more singular attention?" He asks the Raider's assembled.

Kyte
2014-04-23, 10:02 PM
Jun watches the others struggle with the door for a good few minutes, eventually deciding that they needed her help. Once the doors are completely open she steps in. She lets out a whistle that start off high and pretty, but dies down quickly, as the room is a bit disappointing. She looks at one wall, then the other, letting out a small sigh.

Well, they can't all be like Kamuzu's tomb... or was it Khalfani?

She shrugs and walks over to the eastern wall, examining the writings.

A rather spartan affair. Do we feel the need to be as thorough in our examination here, or does this second door present an odd enough challenge to warrant more singular attention?

"Might as well take a glance around." She says, reading the wall.

Phasm
2014-04-23, 10:28 PM
Alas, there isn't much that poor tiny Mai can do to help her larger comrades. She tries at first, but it quickly becomes clear that she isn't doing much besides getting in the way. The gnome finally takes to standing guard while everyone else struggles with the door; after all, that explosion might have awakened something unsavory, as might the very act of opening the door.

"Hurray! In we go!" With a quick cantrip, one of the beads in Mai's hair begins to glow with a steady white light. Light taken care of, the gnome eagerly enters the tomb. She hangs back behind Gaston- he did claim to be the trap expert- and casts another spell, this time to detect magic.

If there are any auras, I'll roll Spellcraft then.

Mathemagics
2014-04-23, 10:34 PM
Salera's brows arch just a bit as she takes in the contents of the room. As the others begin to step forward to begin assessing it, she stoops to pick up a handy rock near the doorway. Cupping it in her hands momentarily, she reaches into a small pouch carried at her waist. Muttering a brief incantation under her breath, she presses the unknown components into her hand with the stone, causing the small rock to glow with a steady light. She then very deliberately and methodically lobs the rock as far as she can into the back of the room and away from the door, carrying the magical light with it.

Casting Light on the pebble, then throwing it over near the wheel thing.

"There we go, easier to see between that and the door, yeah?"

With the room brightened up considerably, she scans the room as well. As she assesses the meager contents, her eyes stop on the mask-like stone face carvings.

"Oh lovely, just about the right height to give most people a surprise arrow to the face, huh... Well that or fill the room with something unpleasant like sand or snakes or something maybe..."

The elf gives a relaxed shrug as she reaches for the compact book hanging on her belt next to the pouch. Her gaze doesn't leave the pages as she flips through them and continues.

"Eh but I'll shut up with the speculation on traps, that's your forte Gaston. Tell ya what I can do though, is check for magic... soon as I find the- ah here we go."

Holding the pages open with her finger, Salera begins to recite the cantrip contained within the spellbook, causing her eyes to take on a distinctly unnatural sheen. She spins around slowly, making sure to take in everything in sight as she searches for the traces of any potential magic.

Casting Detect Magic and taking a look to see if there's anything magic. Also just a general Perception check to notice things of note.

[roll0]

Logeg
2014-04-24, 08:05 AM
Kendrick is the last to enter the place and is happy to see that everyone finds something to do. Clearly the problems at the entrance were just some start up trouble and will everything go much better from now on. Seeing how Jun starts to study the eastern wall, he decides to give the western wall his attention. Hoping his knowledge of the ancient language will help with the hieroglyphs and engravings.

[roll0]

Askel
2014-04-24, 08:16 AM
Gaston, true to form, is the first to enter. He takes his time searching over the room, checking especially the floor and the four faces, but finds no sign of any real traps in the antechamber. Following his "all-clear", everyone else moves in to begin their own investigations.

Jun and Kendrick begin following the walls. There are hundreds of symbols, the walls literally covered in text in the ancient language. They are easily read, though, given an understanding of Ancient Osirian.

The engravings describe the life of the tomb’s enshrined occupant. The text would take hours to translate in its entirety, but you get the gist that Akhentepi was a celebrated military commander who presided over the troops garrisoned in Wati prior to the city’s downfall. The hieroglyphs warn, “Akhentepi’s tomb is well defended, and those who defile it tempt the wrath of the gods.” An additional warning advises, “The only thing the Lady of Graves despises more than the grave robber is the unsuccessful grave robber,” followed by a final admonishment to “turn back while you can.”

While Jun and Kendrick look over the walls, Salera and Mai begin scanning the room for signs of magic. Surprisingly, or perhaps not, there is no trace of a magical aura in the antechamber. Finding no magic, Salera takes a closer look at the faces, and finds them to in fact be torch-holders.

When he has finished with the wall of hieroglyphs, Kendrick takes a final look around; as he does, his eyes catch on the spiral of the stone wheel.

Turning your head, you suddenly recognize this as the spiral of Pharasma. In fact, two of the four faces in the room's corners also depict Pharasma. With the knowledge in mind, you look closer at the other two. It is significantly less obvious, given the obscurity of the god, but you identify these two as Anubis, the ancient Osirian god of burials and mummification.

Though checking the antechamber over takes you several minutes, the time passes without incident. You are not disturbed in the slightest, and the necropolis outside remains as motionless and devoid of life as ever.

Mathemagics
2014-04-24, 12:52 PM
"All clear. No magic that I can see."

Salera flips the miniature spellbook closed and replaces it on her belt again. With the threat of traps diminished for the time being, she strides over towards the large wheel-like object and begins to look around it.

"So... any ideas then? What are we looking for? Maybe this wheel is a roll-away door...?"

She gives it a tentative push, not too enthusiastic, just enough to see if it feels like it might shift a bit.

Askel
2014-04-24, 01:00 PM
The massive wheel is impossibly heavy, far beyond what Salera could hope to move on her own... but there can be no doubt that the wheel is designed to move. Unfortunately, there is no readily apparent lever or button. In order to move the wheel aside manually, it would take an incredible amount of strength.

Mathemagics
2014-04-24, 01:11 PM
Having pushed quite futilely against the great stone wheel, Salera slumps against the object.

"Hmm so way too heavy to move manually, unless you've got a handy army of workmen. Definitely means there's got to be some sort of switch or trigger to move it right? You guys don't think it's something obnoxiously clever related to these stone faces, do you?"

She pushes herself off the wheel and turns to head for the nearest of the carved stone masks. Peering intently at the object, she then starts poking it at random to see if there's a hidden switch or mechanism. Whether or not this is a wise decision is another subject...

Odentin
2014-04-24, 02:09 PM
"<No, don't!>" Gaston cries in elven. He approaches Salera, a look of extreme worry on his face, "<My lady, please, be cautious. It would be a crime for beauty such as yours to be marred by an act of carelessness.>"

Once he's sure she's safe, he begins to inspect the wheel and the faces, looking for signs of a mechanism to move the wheel.

Perception: Taking 10 because f*ck the forum roller = 15.

Askel
2014-04-24, 02:13 PM
Looking the four heads over, you can see that these are indeed torch-holders, but the slot each torch fits into appears to be some sort of weight-based lever. Placing enough weight into each torch-holder (a torch, perhaps?) will cause the face to lower. The result of lowering a face, or any combination of faces, is impossible to determine, however.

Odentin
2014-04-24, 02:34 PM
"Here we are. Everyone, get clear from in front of this one. Vez, can I borrow your torch?"

Once everyone is clear, he takes a deep breath and holds it, then places the unlit torch in the holder nearest the wheel (right side, if two are equidistant).

LordHavelock
2014-04-24, 03:03 PM
"Of course." Responds Vezhar, handing the torch to Gaston and producing another from his bag as he moves carefully to the side.

Logeg
2014-04-24, 03:59 PM
Kendrick spent some time going over the hieroglyphs, having no trouble at all to read them, except for the fact there is quite a large quantity of them. "Nothing new here as far I can tell: Don't defile the place, expect traps and the only way to be safe is by leaving." He told the others while they start to study the wheel and start to poke the masks with torches.

"If there is indeed a mechanism with the masks, our best bet would be these two as that is Pharamasma and it is his spiral on the wheel." He pointed out the two faces in the corners.

Odentin
2014-04-24, 05:19 PM
Gaston pauses as Kendrick speaks. If the mask he's about to place the torch in is one of the ones pointed to, he continues as normal. If not, he moves to one of the ones pointed to and continues...

LordHavelock
2014-04-24, 05:49 PM
Vezhar looks from the spiral to the mask indicated and arches an eyebrow. "And here I presumed the ancient Osirions worshiped not but the old beast-visage gods and djinni. Seems your theology is good for more than just guilt and frayed nerves." He says, somewhat more goading than his previous jibes and teasing of the other members of the Raiders.

Mathemagics
2014-04-24, 06:02 PM
"<No, don't!>" Gaston cries in elven. He approaches Salera, a look of extreme worry on his face, "<My lady, please, be cautious. It would be a crime for beauty such as yours to be marred by an act of carelessness.>"

Salera freezes mid-inspection of the mask at the sudden exclamation. Backing away from the mask slowly as Gaston moves over to search it, she blushes slightly at his combination compliment-admonition. She seems just a little bit flustered, maybe because she was yelled at?

"Heh, um uh... okay? S-Sorry... heh, hmm."

She then moves off to the side, hoping the others didn't notice too much...

Kyte
2014-04-24, 07:32 PM
Jun shrugs and turns to the others. "Just your typical tomb writings over here... wrath of the gods, turn back while you can... that kinda thing."

Heh, um uh... okay? S-Sorry... heh, hmm.

"Heheh, don't worry. He's just trying to impress you." She says, suddenly next to the elf. She lowers her voice. "Is it working?" She asks, watching Gaston work.

Phasm
2014-04-24, 09:58 PM
Mai whips out a sketchbook and charcoal stick, rapidly sketching the room and its more interesting details before she starts writing notes in Gnome on what she sees. "Pharasma, interesting. Hopefully that means Akhentapi's mummy won't be walking around! Has anyone seen the symbols of any ancient Osirian gods in here?" Scribble, scribble, scribble. Evidently the gnome is determined to document everything she can.

Askel
2014-04-25, 08:04 AM
The face before Gaston is that of Pharasma, as a point of fact. As he puts the torch into place, nothing seems to happen until he actually removes his hand from the torch. At that point, the whole face slowly lowers with a soft grinding sound from the wall near the stone wheel. It drops several inches before coming to a stop; otherwise, nothing else happens.

Odentin
2014-04-25, 09:04 AM
Slowly exhaling his held breath, Gaston smirks, "Well, that's a good sign. Now, one more, if I can borrow another torch, Vez? Or anyone who has a spare?"

Once he receives another torch, he takes it to the other face of Pharasma and repeats the process.

Logeg
2014-04-25, 09:30 AM
Kendrick handed Gaston another torch and then aimed his direction at Mai. "The face in both other corners are that of Anubis, the god of burials and mummification. I don't recognize anyone or anything special in the other faces." He was happy Mai seemed to record some of the information here, as knowledge was more Kendrick's interest as well over monetary gain.

Askel
2014-04-25, 09:32 AM
Once the second torch is placed into the other face of Pharasma, it too sinks several inches, and the grinding sound repeats near the stone wheel. This time, the grinding doesn't stop, though; it gets louder and louder, and suddenly the stone wheel is rolling, very slowly, rolling towards one of the walls. behind the stone wheel is on opening through which, with your light sources, you can see a twenty foot square room beyond.

This square room is starkly devoid of any markings or adornment. In the center of the chamber’s floor, a square shaft drops straight down into darkness. A faint musty odor rises from the pit. A single piton has been hammered into the stone floor by the northeast corner of the pit, and a dusty length of rope dangles from the piton into the darkness of the shaft. A dusty old crowbar is set on the ground beside the piton.

Mathemagics
2014-04-25, 10:23 AM
"Heheh, don't worry. He's just trying to impress you." She says, suddenly next to the elf. She lowers her voice. "Is it working?" She asks, watching Gaston work.

"Ha...ahah wha-what makes you say that?!"

Salera laughs nervously while frantically trying to look anywhere but directly at Jun as she says this. She lucks out when the others manage to figure out the stone mask trigger, and makes a show of pointing out the stone wheel rolling away.

"Oh look at that! Good job opening the door everyone! Time to go explore! Yup!"

She then hurries away towards the new room, making sure to stop and pick up the glowing rock on the way. Cautiously approaching the pit, she tentatively lobs the rock into the darkness below.

Askel
2014-04-25, 10:28 AM
The light drops, bouncing off one wall of the ten foot wide shaft before hitting the ground sixty feet below. You can see that the walls of the shaft are roughly carved, but very smooth, making them very trick to climb. From the light at the bottom, you can tell that the shaft descends into some sort of wider chamber, but the features of the chamber can't be made out from up here.

Odentin
2014-04-25, 10:31 AM
Gaston cautiously steps into the room, everburning torch held high. He walks along the outer edge of the room, looking for another exit, before investigating the pit, grabbing the crowbar on the way, "This should come in handy. Can't believe we didn't replace ours..."

After inspecting the rope to see if it is still usable and stable, he peers down into the pit and the glowing rock that has been thrown down...

Perception: [roll0]

Askel
2014-04-25, 10:45 AM
Gaston detects no other means of exiting the room, nor any sign of a trap or mechanism. Getting on his hands and knees and leaning out over the pit, Gaston can see that the rope only descends five feet, at which point its frayed ends indicate it's been cut. Looking closely at the walls of the pit, the sharp-eyed elf can see a fine, narrow crevice where a blade is rigged to slice across the shaft, cutting anything in its path. Given that the falling rock didn't trigger the blade, it is unlikely to be triggered by motion. It could be triggered by heat, or perhaps by weight?

Regardless of what triggers it, the trap is clearly still active, and will easily slice through a rope in its path.

Odentin
2014-04-25, 12:14 PM
"Ohoho, now that IS clever. Not motion, maybe heat. I'll need another torch. A lit one. You'll get it back...once we get down there safely...

As he talks, he reaches his everburning torch into the pit, getting a better view, perhaps seeing if there may be a way to lower himself down to disarm it safely..

LordHavelock
2014-04-25, 12:43 PM
"At the rate I loan you torches, I should start charging." Vezhar laughs, striking up his third torch, confident enough in their other sources of light and the relative disposability of such things not to worry otherwise. "Don't risk that fancy burning stick of yours now."

Vezhar begins uncoiling rope from his own supplies, to be ready for when Gaston has completed his work with the trap. "Assuming Gaston can disarm the trap, who wants to be the first to go down?" He asks, considering a moment, "Or is it my turn after volunteering our good trapsmith to be the first to enter the tomb?"

Odentin
2014-04-25, 12:49 PM
"Need to test for heat sensitivity. Mine doesn't produce any. I could throw you down if you'd prefer." Gaston quips with a grin as he drops the lit torch down the shaft, watching to see at which point the blade triggers.

Askel
2014-04-25, 12:51 PM
The trap is only five feet below the lip of the shaft, but as the torch goes soaring past it, it doesn't trigger. The torch falls all the way to the ground, landing next to the light on the floor below, all with no effect whatsoever.

Odentin
2014-04-25, 12:57 PM
"Huh. Crap. Means its probably a pressure plate somewhere in the room below. That's...discouraging. Do either of you lovely ladies have a way to make a long fall like this NOT kill a charming scoundrel like myself?"

Gaston gives his best winning smile to Salera and Mai.

Mathemagics
2014-04-25, 01:07 PM
"Uhhhhh.... no?"

A sheepish smile appears on Salera's features.

"Sorry, I really got nothing for this... But if it is a pressure plate in the room down there, it actually wouldn't be too hard for one person to get down. It's getting all of us down there with limited rope, and then back up that we have a problem, yeah?"

A contemplative expression shows itself as she crosses her arms and taps her chin thoughtfully.

"Although... if you were pretty sure it wouldn't trigger until you touch the floor below... Maybe we could tie you to a rope, lower you down there, and see if you could try fiddling with the mechanism? Maybe jam it or something, then we don't need to worry anyway, right?"

Odentin
2014-04-25, 01:20 PM
Gaston frowns, thinking, "Hm. If you all can hold me up, that might be an option. Though, if there's another trigger I'm not seeing, maybe based on size, in the tunnel itself...any magic in the tunnel? If it is a pressure plate, it might be best to lower me down and then drop me. I can land safely from about twenty feet..."

Mathemagics
2014-04-25, 01:26 PM
"Don't think there was magic in there, but I can always double check."

The elf gives a shrug of the shoulders and peers down into the pit again, looking for any of the telltale signs of a magical aura secreted in the area.

Pretty sure Detect Magic would still be in effect, but if it's not, obviously recasting.

"Nope, nothing!"

Odentin
2014-04-25, 01:38 PM
Gaston let's out a long breath, pulling his rope from his pack and beginning to tie a harness for himself, "Alright. If you all think you can hold me, let's try lowering me down to the blade itself. I might be able to jam it there. If not, you all can drop me from about twenty feet, so we don't break a rope. Then I can disarm it so we all can get back out of here safely..."

Logeg
2014-04-25, 01:41 PM
"Good luck" Kendrick said and took the rope, hoping this would work. All of them getting stuck down there seemed more deadly than any trap.

Phasm
2014-04-25, 05:10 PM
Mai packs her writing materials away with practiced speed; if there's one still-active trap in the shaft, there may be more. "Good luck, Gaston! Don't get yourself killed!" She considers offering her spear to help jam the trap, but it's not as if she could borrow somebody else's weapon. And while a sorceress might not need a melee weapon very often, when she does she really needs it.

Kyte
2014-04-25, 08:52 PM
Jun smirks. "You sure you wanna do this?" She spits on both of her palms and grabs hold of the rope with Kendrick. "Well, it wouldn't be the first time I helped get you into a dangerous hole." She adds and winks at Salera.

LordHavelock
2014-04-26, 11:24 AM
Vezhar takes the end of the length of rope and wraps it cross-brace around his torso to act as an anchor for whoever else is helping to lower it. "So, whose with me in lowering our good trapsmith to what we all hope won't be an early doom?"

Odentin
2014-04-26, 11:38 AM
Gaston ties the harness around his upper body and gives a nod to the three supporting him, along with a special wink to Jun in response to her jibe. Carefully stepping over the edge, he calls for a stop just above the blade itself. He works slowly, methodically, attempting to disarm the blade itself, thus rendering the entire trap useless. If necessary, he will hammer pitons into the blade's tracks to act as stops.

Disable Device: [roll0]

In the case that disabling the blade itself is impossible, he calls for the others to lower him, slowly, the rest of the way, keeping a keen eye for another trigger, at which point he will call for another stop to disable it. If not, once he reaches a point just under twenty feet from the ground, he calls for them to drop him, rights himself using the rope to balance, and counts off the drop...

Once landed, he looks for the trigger and works to disable it.

Perception vs Triggers in Shaft: [roll1]
Perception vs Triggers in Room: [roll2]
Disable Device on Triggers: [roll3]
Acrobatics vs Falling: [roll4]

At least I survive the fall...

Askel
2014-04-26, 01:46 PM
Slowly, Gaston is lowered down into the shaft. The rope creaks as it strains against his weight, but with three people holding it securely there is no danger of the elf falling. Dangling there, just five feet below the top of the pit, Gaston pokes and prods at the blade-concealing crevice, but it is too narrow for him access, not to mention jam up. Failing this, the trapsmith is lowered slowly down the shaft, lower and lower. He spins slightly as he descends, but this also serves to allow the sharp-eyed elf to survey the walls of the shaft. He can see that, aside from being devilishly tricky to climb, up or down, there are no other traps here to contend with.

Meanwhile, back in the antechamber where Vezhar is anchoring Gaston, Mai is unable to assist. In fact, with everyone crowded around the pit, she can't even really see what's down there. Instead, the gnome can hear something; she hears a scratching noise coming from just outside. Even as she turns to see what could be doing that, her question is answered. A large gold scorpion easily as big as she is is crawling slowly into the antechamber with them. Its glittery, multifaceted eyes study her for a moment, then it raises its claws and crawls fully into the antechamber, barbed tail high.

Right around this time, Gaston is about thirty feet from the floor below.

http://i.imgur.com/5zGGbqR.png

Alright, as Mai is the only person whose perception was high enough to notice the scorpion creeping on everyone, Mai gets to act in the surprise round with the scorpion. Alas, because life is cruel and unfair, Vezhar still has the rope (and Gaston) secured to him. Jun and Kendrick may let go of the rope as a free action. It will take a full round action to untie the rope for Vezhar; otherwise, a DC 12 strength check will be needed to take any other actions, aside from lowering Gaston the last 10 feet (which would be a swift action) or 20 feet (which would be a move action).

Initiative
Salera (Surprised) - 24
Mai - 21
Scorpion - 16
Vezhar (Surprised) - 13
Jun (Surprised) - 12
Gaston (Very Surprised) - 11
Kendrick (Surprised) - 0

Phasm
2014-04-26, 02:44 PM
"Oh no! Giant scorpion!" It doesn't look like a demonic or undead scorpion, so Mai's heavenly fire probably won't do anything to it. She steps to her right to clear the doorway (do they really need three people on the rope? She sure hopes not) and begins her second-favorite incantation. The air around her shimmers for a moment as the mage armor takes effect.

Free action: 5-foot step to her right
Standard action: Cast mage armor for +4 AC
3 spells left

Askel
2014-04-26, 05:55 PM
Mai steps out of the way as the scorpion advances. It hesitates, though, at the flash of magic as Mai's entire body begins to glow with arcane energy.

Before anyone can react to Mai's shouted warning, the scorpion strikes, its tail darting forward to strike at Vehzar. It snaps its pincers threateningly at Mai, however, keeping its eyes on her as it strafes.

5-foot step south
Stinger Attack:
[roll0]
Stinger Damage:
[roll1]
Vezhar Fortitude Save:
[roll2]
Vezhar takes 1 strength damage from poison.

Almost immediately, Vezhar can feel himself weakening as the poison courses through his veins, sapping him of his strength. As the giant scorpion presses its attack on Vezhar, Mai can see a second one out in the sandy street, cautiously approaching the open doors.

http://i.imgur.com/2oIp8Q0.png
Initiative
Salera - 24
Mai - 21
Scorpions - 16
Vezhar - 13
Jun - 12
Gaston - 11
Kendrick - 0

Logeg
2014-04-26, 06:13 PM
The shout from Mai followed by something striking Vehzar, is not something Kendrick wanted to hear at this very moment. Of course he had been very occupied with staring down the pit to see what was going on there, but a fight was more important.

"Can you hold him with just Jun? I think I am more use right now defending you from that beast than as an extra set of hands." Kendrick offered and if the answer is positive, he will do all he can to position himself between Vehzar and the scorpion with scimitar and shield ready.

I figure that will be all I can do with my 6 seconds

Kyte
2014-04-26, 07:04 PM
Oh no! Giant scorpion!

"What?! Where?!" Jun turns, simultaneously letting go of the rope and pulling out her gun with a fanatic twirl. She raises the gun up, aims and fires. She is sure to swear as she shoots it. "Die, ya junkswilling, filthmongering sack of dung!"

Shooting the scorpion. Attack roll: [roll0] Damage roll: [roll1]

Mathemagics
2014-04-26, 07:31 PM
"Woah! Yikes! Okay, right! Giant scorpions! On it, someone make sure not to drop Gaston!"

Caught completely off-guard, Salera fumbles for the sword at her side, a process made slightly more complicated than necessary by the fact that she's only using one hand to do so. The reason why becomes evident a moment later when she shouts a quick incantation and her free hand begins to spark with electricity...

"It's okay, just a giant scorpion. Can't be all that hard to hit right? Just gotta watch out for the stinger, and pincers, and pointy legs that could probably impale ya... Nothing to worry about!"

Taking a tentative step forward, she suddenly reaches out with her free hand as quickly as she can, grabbing at the scorpion's body.

Move Action to draw rapier.
Standard Action to cast Shocking Grasp.
5 foot step to move next to the scorpion.
Free action granted by casting Shocking Grasp to make a touch attack to deliver it.
[roll0] against touch AC (touch attacks should count as light weapons for the purposes of weapon finesse so I used that bonus).
[roll1] electricity damage if hit.

Odentin
2014-04-26, 10:43 PM
Fμck me over the head...

As soon as Gaston hears the shout, he begins righting himself, preparing for the drop. From this height, it might well leave him unconscious in the room below, but it's better than one of the others dying. He only wishes he were able to help them more...

"Drop me! I'll survive!"

LordHavelock
2014-04-27, 12:04 AM
Vezhar gritted his teeth against the sting of the scorpion, unable to turn around whilst holding Gaston suspended in time to make any attempt to avoid the attack. The venom burns and yet seems to numb the strength from his limb at the same time, but as his Raider companions do their best to respond to the threat he feels the urge not simply to endure, but to do his part against this pest. Hearing Gaston's voice, Vezhar immediately drops down and slides across the sandy floor of the chamber so as best to slow the trapsmith's descent, as well as his own not-quite-imminent descent to the end of the shaft. Catching his feet across the short chamber he quickly begins to untie himself, hoping not to bowl Kendrick over in the process even as he looks to draw his weapons.

Vezhar Drops prone and (hopefully) uses the friction of the sandy floor to give Gaston a slightly lower drop.
Squeeze into the space with Kendrick, and then get to my feet and draw my gladius as part of the second move action.

Phasm
2014-04-28, 12:46 AM
Mai drops her spear with a clatter and swings her crossbow into position, thanking Sarenrae that she remembered to load it before venturing into the necropolis. She takes a few seconds to aim at the farther scorpion (should be easier to hit since it isn't right next to a comrade) and fires with a twang.

Free action: drop spear
Move action: draw crossbow

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Askel
2014-04-28, 08:48 AM
There is a sort of shock as everyone reacts at once. While Salera fumbles with a weapon at her belt, she begins multitasking to cast a spell. Gaston drops a foot as she releases her hold on the rope, and steps forward toward the scorpion. Her hand crackles with energy as she reaches out in an effort to shock the monster, but the scorpion reaches back with a claw of its own and Salera only just manages to avoid having her hand caught. Mai, on the ohter hand, simply tosses her spear aside and draws her crossbow, taking aim at the closer scorpion before shifting aim to shoot out the door, hitting the other monstrous critter in the face. The scorpion screeches in surprises, clawing at the air angrily as the tiny little bolt remains lodged firmly in its head. Unfortunately for the little gnome, the shot didn't kill the scorpion; in fact, it seems to have angered it. It starts charging, enraged, right towards the gnome. As it passes through the open door, it leaps into the air, pouncing on the gnome with both claws snapping at her face.

Charging (+2 attack, -2 AC), using Pounce to make a full attack
Claw 1:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]
Claw 2:
[roll2]
Damage:
[roll3]
Stinger:
[roll4]
Damage:
[roll5]

Mai's Fortitude Save vs. Poison DC 13:
[roll6]

The other scorpion, who has been thus far focused on Vezhar, now has other targets to focus on. It snaps a pincer at Vezhar, and another at Salera, using its stinger to attempt to stab Vezhar a second time.

Full Attack
Claw 1 vs. Vezhar:
[roll7]
Damage:
[roll8]
Claw 2 vs. Salera:
[roll9]
Damage:
[roll10]
Stinger vs. Vezhar:
[roll11]
Damage:
[roll12]

Vezhar Fortitude save vs. another Poison DC 13:
[roll13]

Unable to withstand the scorpion's fury, or perhaps the poison in his veins, Vezhar drops and slides across the floor. Kendrick leaps right over Vezhar, avoiding being knocked down the shaft, and the ifrit manages to catch his feet right on the lip of the pit. Down below, Gaston drops nearly ten feet before suddenly coming to a halt once more. He can hear the fighting above, of course, but it is impossible to tell how things are going. Vezhar struggles to get back to his feet, pulling out his sword with one hand and fumbling with the knot on the rope with the other. In the corner, wide eyed, Jeware can only watch and hold the rope tightly.

Jun, seeing that Vezhar and Jeware still have the rope, at least for now, releases it, drawing her unique weapon to take a shot at the scorpion. She takes a second to aim before firing, however, careful not to hit Salera as the woman continues to struggle with the scorpion, then, suddenly, she fires. There is a loud, ear-splitting bang that rings through the tomb, deafening to everyone but Gaston, and a bloody hole appears in the scorpion's carapace. It screeches and thrashes for several seconds, then raises its tail once again. It continues making sounds as it advances on Salera.

http://i.imgur.com/vyeNJbY.png

Vezhar's fortitude save against round 2 of Scorpion poison DC 13:
[roll14]
Vezhar is no longer poisoned.

Initiative
Salera - 24
Mai - 21
Scorpions - 16
Vezhar - 13
Jun - 12
Gaston - 11
Kendrick - 0

Kyte
2014-04-28, 10:10 PM
"Sonuva..." Jun grabs a small paper tube of black powder, along with ammunition and rapidly reloads her weapon. She whips it up again once that's done and aims carefully, not wanting to shoot anyone else. "Outta the way!" She yells to the others, waiting to take the shot.

Holding my standard action to shoot the scorpion until someone steps aside. Attack roll: [roll0] Damage roll: [roll1]

Odentin
2014-04-29, 12:16 AM
Below the fighting, Gaston dangles on his rope. He braces for the fall when he suddenly slides down, only to stop abruptly. Giving a worried glance above, he hears Jun's weapon go off, and a small sigh of relief exits his lips. At least Jun's up there to keep things under control.

Looking down, he continues to brace for the impending fall...

First combat of the game, and I'm stuck out of commission.

Mathemagics
2014-04-29, 04:25 PM
Salera's eyes widen as she just barely manages to avoid the scorpion's attacks.

"Right... don't mess with giant scorpions. Noted."

It's then she happens to notice the second scorpion overextend itself in its attempt to strike at Mai.

"Okay! I got the second one, watch my back for me!"

The elf then suddenly slips through the space between Mai and the scorpion, an act entirely too reckless and stupid for sensible people to attempt, to end up on the far side of the giant arachnid. A smile appears on her features as she reaches out towards the creature's flank with her left hand still surging with electricity.

"Let's try this again then!"

5 foot step to the space immediately above Mai.
Standard action to attempt a touch attack, gaining a +2 bonus flanking bonus with Kendrick.
[roll0] vs touch AC (which is 2 lower because it just charged)
[roll1] electricity damage

Logeg
2014-04-29, 05:45 PM
(Hopefully someone can delete my previous post as it seems I am not allowed to preview my post when making dice rolls)

Seeing how Salera bravely jumps to the other side of the scorpion to attack the creature from the other side, Kendrick decides to take the opportunity to attack that one as well. His shield ready for defence, he tries to strike the creature with his scimitar, his favourite and only weapon.

Attack with flanking from Salera: [roll0] versus charged scorpion
Damage in case of hit: [roll1]

Phasm
2014-04-29, 07:32 PM
Oh gods, what do I do now? This is pretty much the worst situation for Mai; backed into a corner by an enemy right in her face, one probably immune to her heavenly fire, with an empty crossbow and her spear on the floor. Practically anything she does will invite an attack. Cast a spell, pick up the spear, or load the crossbow? Two scorpions, if I'm careful I can get both of them without getting an ally. The gnome begins chanting the words to her other first-level spell, ending with a throwing motion at the scorpions. A thick layer of grease appears under and behind the giant vermin.

"Don't go directly behind the scorpions, I just put a grease spell there!"

Go ahead and roll concentration for me if she's injured by the AoO.

LordHavelock
2014-04-29, 08:03 PM
Vezhar does his best to defend himself, but the scorpion manages to score another gash and another dose of their venom gives him reason enough to cry out a vicious string of oaths from the pain. Intent on some measure of vengeance at least, he sidesteps in, next to Kendrick and lunges forward with his gladius, throwing his weight behind the blow despite the seizing numbness of his muscles from the venom.

5 foot step to move into melee
Attack: [roll0]; Damage: [roll1]

Askel
2014-04-30, 08:30 AM
The scorpion reaches out to claw Salera's belly; she moves, then sidesteps between the scorpion and Mai, forcing the large creature to turn its body awkwardly, but before it can do that, she puts a static-crackling hand on its translucent carapace. The creature jerks and both its claws reflexively snap closed from the jolt. For a moment, the scorpion freezes before it turns to face Salera more properly. Beside her, Mai begins doing something with her hands as she chants.

Attack of Opportunity (Rolled off of forum for simplicity sake: (1d20+2)[14]

Suddenly, a burst of thick gray grease bursts from her hands, pooling on the floor beneath the scorpions.

Scorpion 1 Reflex save:

Scorpion 2 Reflex save:
[roll1]1d20

It slides and jerks and, with a soft thunk, its feet spread out from under it and it falls to the ground. The creature immediately attempts to regain its footing, but Salera takes the opportunity to strike the distracted creature.

Salera Opportunity Attack:
[roll1]
Damage:
[roll2]
Kendrick Opportunity Attack:
[roll3]
Damage:
[roll4]

Once the scorpion is on its feet, it seems to be in a frenzy. Its companion claws at Kendrick in an effort to drive him back as it continues to slide around on the grease.

Claw vs. Kendrick:
[roll5]
Damage:
[roll6]

It manages to catch hold of Kendrick's waste, squeezing him painfully as it digs its sharp claws into him. The other uses its stinger to stab at Salera.

Stinger vs. Salera:
[roll7]
Damage:
[roll8]
Salera's Fortitude Save DC 13:
[roll9]
Salera takes 1 Str damage.

Immediately, Salera begins to feel whoozy from the sting as poison begins to course through her veins.

While Vezhar struggles against the rope still harnessed to him so he can close to melee range, Jun pours powder into her strange firearm, followed by a bullet, then points it at the much weakened scorpion and pulls the trigger. There is a second deafening bang, and the creature jerks as the bullet blasts through its body. The creature twitches once, then sprawls out on the floor, the fight beaten out of it at last.

Kendrick's attack redirected

Reacting to the clawed attack against him, Kendrick slashes at the one remaining scorpion, slicing right across its body with a vicious attack that cleaves through the top of the creature and brings the blade out the other side. The scorpion sinks to the ground, dead.

Combat is over!

Odentin
2014-04-30, 09:41 AM
As the sounds of battle die down above, Gaston looks up the shaft into the deafening silence for a few moments, "Hello? Still dangling here!"

Logeg
2014-04-30, 12:33 PM
The claws of the scorpion are painful enough but Kendrick was happy not to have experienced the stinger as Vezhar and Salera don't look too happy. "I fear that I can't help right now with the effects of the poison, but I can deal with the wounds. We might want to wait to see how Gaston survives his trip downwards in case he needs some fixing after that. Is there any way to prevent more critters wandering in while we are here? Without completely locking ourselves in, I mean."

He looked down the shaft, happy that Gaston didn't plummet to his death with the fight going on. "Always the same that are too lazy to fight, next time you can do the fighting while we just hang around. Still want to go down?

Odentin
2014-04-30, 01:15 PM
"Too laz-...are you DENSE? I didn't exactly have a choice, you addledbrained jag! Any attempt at climbing back up would have pulled Vezhar down on top of me! Or do you WANT to watch one of your companions die? How about you quit running your ignorant mouth and untie Vez like you should have in the first place?

Mathemagics
2014-04-30, 01:23 PM
"Hey guys... I-I don't... I don't feel so good. I think there might've been something in that scorpion venom."

Salera teeters about unsteadily before slowly sinking to a sitting position on the floor.

"I'll just... just sit here for a second I think. Just for a minute. I can... probably watch the doorway too to make sure nothing else sneaks up on us."

The elf tries to steady herself with a few deep breaths. Even if she isn't severely injured, it's obvious that she's having an unpleasant time as the venom runs its course.

Phasm
2014-04-30, 02:47 PM
Mai reloads her crossbow, slings it over her back once more, and picks up her spear. She awkwardly pats Salera on the shoulder, worried. "I'm sorry, Salera, I can't do anything for poison either. I can heal up wounds too, but poison is kind of beyond me. Good job on that scorpion though!" The gnome looks up at the rest of the group. "That goes for everybody! Although Kendrick, that comment was really rude, it's not like Gaston could help being tied up and dangling down a shaft when the scorpions came in."

Logeg
2014-04-30, 02:58 PM
"Alright, alright, I am sorry and will leave the joking to Gaston. I have seen enough of his fighting to know he would have been a great help to us." Kendrick apologized, although he found people overreacted. Once more he glanced at the entrance, hoping no more scorpions or worse would wander in.

He was happy the device in the shaft hadn't gone off, but they still didn't have any answers to how and when it worked. It would be bad if they all went down and returned to a cut through rope.

LordHavelock
2014-04-30, 04:10 PM
Vezhar is initially overcome by a wave of exhaustion as the venom and continued strain at holding up Gaston have taken a toll on his stamina, but Kendrick's remark and Gaston's subsequent outburst has him in stitches with laughter, loud and raucously ringing throughout the chamber as he nearly loses his grip on the rope as not even the scorpions could accomplish. "No worries up here friend!" He calls down to Gaston, "You'll be happy to know despite your best efforts to sacrifice yourself, we're too enamored of your the image off you hanging helpless as a babe at the bottom of that hole to release you."

Vezhar winks at Kendrick, "Here, come pick up some of the strain holy-man, and let's see if our trapsmith can make himself properly useful down there."

Odentin
2014-04-30, 04:14 PM
"Just drop me so I can do my job, already..."

LordHavelock
2014-04-30, 05:01 PM
Vezhar rolls his eyes but does as Gaston asks with a wry, "As you wish." before releasing all strain on the rope.

Askel
2014-04-30, 05:29 PM
With a final yank on the end, the rope around Vezhar slides free, slithering easily over the edge of the shaft. Gaston drops the twenty feet, landing hard on the stone floor below. There is a shock that runs from his feet right up his spine, jarring his whole body for a moment, but the clever trapsmith was expecting the pain and, after a brief hiss, he exhales, perfectly fine.

The sound of his breath is almost loud enough to cover the sharp shing of the blade crossing the top of the shaft. Fortunately, the rope that was to be cut now lies in a pile beside Gaston. The blade crosses back into its original starting position, resetting itself.

Looking around the room he is now in, Gaston takes in his surroundings. Mirrored images of a warrior in side profile, facing inward, are carved on an ornate pair of stone doors in the west wall of this square room. The figure is depicted wearing padded armor, with a scarab-shaped shield on the arm facing the viewer and a raised khopesh held aloft in the other. A crumpled humanoid body lies directly in front of the doors. A hint of decay hangs in the air, and a dried stain mars the stone floor under the body. The square shaft in the ceiling leads back up, but there is no visible way to reach the walls of the shaft to climb it. Anyone stuck down here without a rope is staying down here, forever.

Peering careful at the floor, Gaston can see that he is now standing on a pressure plate. Stepping off of it would allow him to access its workings and, quite probably, disable it. Gaston does just that, taking several steps to get off the plate. When it resets itself, the elf spends several minutes working at it before he is sufficiently satisfied that it is jammed. Standing on it, it does not sink back into the floor.

Using rolls from earlier.

http://i.imgur.com/dfVdxcr.png

Kyte
2014-04-30, 05:36 PM
Jun blows the lingering smoke from her gun barrel, reloads, then holsters it.

"Damn scorpions..."

Damn nuisance... wonder if they've got a nest in here somewhere.

Hey guys... I-I don't... I don't feel so good. I think there might've been something in that scorpion venom.

She smiles, trying not to laugh at the absurdity of the statement.

"Yeah, something. You know..." She starts, approaching the elf. "I think I know an old remedy for that." She thinks for a moment. "Yeah, you boil a gecko tail with some aspen leaves and ginger." She seems happy will herself for remembering, then she shrugs. "I don't got any of that stuff. Guess you'll just have to let it do its thing." She pats her once on the shoulder, then approaches the shaft. She watches the rope slide down and out of sight, listening for the thump. Once she hears it, she calls out. "How you doin'?"

Odentin
2014-04-30, 05:49 PM
Gaston smirks at Jun's comment while he works, "Fear not, love. I've suffered harder falls on nights with half-orc women. How's everyone up there? Did I hear someone say something about venom?"

Once he finishes his work and tests the trap once more to ensure safety, he smirks up the shaft at the others, "All clear. Descend at your leisure."

While the others make their way to join him, he searches the body and checks the door for traps.

LordHavelock
2014-04-30, 09:26 PM
Vezar uncoils his own length of rope and prepares to tie it off for the others to descend. "Ladies and native planesdwellers first, please." He says gesturing with obeisance.

Phasm
2014-05-01, 03:39 AM
"Okay!" With a bit of wiggling, Mai manages to get her spear through the straps of her backpack for the descent. It's awkward and uncomfortable, but it'll do. The gnome takes hold of Vezhar's rope and clings on as he lowers it, thankful for the fact that she's wearing trousers under her robe. Most human men don't go for gnome women, but you never know.

Logeg
2014-05-01, 09:39 AM
"It might be wise to tie my rope to yours, perhaps even make some extra knots to ease the ones that need to climb up and down. I am not above admitting that I am a terrible climber and jumping about 10 foot to catch a rope also sounds difficult." Kendrick suggested, still somewhat nervous about the shaft. Even without a trap cutting through the rope, it can be quite deadly if something goes wrong. To say it would be 'annoying' to survive this place only to find their exit out of order would be quite the understatement.

Askel
2014-05-01, 12:16 PM
While everyone above begins tying off a new rope and starting the difficult climb down, Gaston searches the desiccated corpse on the ground. Though he lacks the medical knowledge to identify much about the body, he does find several treasures worth keeping. Tucked into a rotted backpack which nearly disintegrates at the elf's touch are two metal pitons and a decent quality hammer. Lying, nearly concealed, beneath the body are two vials of alchemist's fire, miraculously unbroken and still perfectly usable.

Moving on to the door, Gaston spends a fair amount of time looking them over. Fortunately, he finds no sign of any trap or trick. In fact, the doors aren't even locked, though they do appear to be quite heavy.

Odentin
2014-05-01, 12:50 PM
The trapbreaker gently places the vials in his belt pouch, and sets the hammer and pitons aside while he inspects the door and waits for the others.

Kyte
2014-05-01, 10:17 PM
Once it's Jun's turn she takes a moment to look down the shaft in displeasure. It's not that she can't climb. She's just... well, lowering herself into that pit doesn't sound like great fun. She scratches the back of her head and glances behind her, stalling for time.

What if someone comes in here after us? They could just cut the rope...

She lets out a sigh and pushes herself forward, grabbing a hold of the rope.

Don't be paranoid.

After a moment she lowers herself down, hand over hand, one foot at a time. She slides down like a boss.

"Look out below, would ya? And no, that's not an invitation to look at my butt!"

Climb check [roll0]

Logeg
2014-05-02, 12:16 PM
Once down, Kendrick of course checked out the body there present.

[roll0]

"Before we continue and find more shocking surprises, is everyone healthy enough to last a bit longer or should I ask the Goddess for a blessing?" He then asked. The wound caused by the scorpion was painful but he was sure he could survive a simple attack should more creatures be around here, but at the same time a trap could mean a quick end.

Mathemagics
2014-05-02, 12:24 PM
"Think I'm alright now...still feeling a bit tired, but should be able to manage."

Salera still looks a bit unsteady on her feet after having managed the climb down the rope, but her excitement at making further progress into the tomb is readily apparent. Her usual smile once more reasserts itself as she steps a bit closer towards the doors (though still maintaining a respectful distance just in case...) and turns towards Gaston.

"So trapmaster, we good to open it up?"

Just took 10 on the climb down, between already low strength and poison, Salera is at a -2 strength modifier so the effective result would be 8. But at least she doesn't have armor weighing her down.

Odentin
2014-05-02, 12:37 PM
Once the door is inspected, Gaston occupies himself while waiting for the others by wrapping up his rope and stuffing it back in his pack. He makes sure to return Vezhar's torch and Salera's rock to them when they make it off the rope.

"Before we continue and find more shocking surprises, is everyone healthy enough to last a bit longer or should I ask the Goddess for a blessing?"

"I'm fine. Or, I will be soon enough."

"So trapmaster, we good to open it up?"

"Indeed we are. The doors are heavy, but they're not trapped or locked."

LordHavelock
2014-05-02, 01:02 PM
"Heavy doors and scorpions who sap our strength." Vezhar remarks following his descent down the rope. "Seems likely we'll need the combine strength of the Raider's to open them. Though if anyone thinks they'll do more harm than good, they would be useful to keep watch for whatever may be on the other side."

Take 10 on Climb Check

Phasm
2014-05-03, 01:39 AM
Mai can't help but sigh a little as she works her spear loose from her backpack straps. "Well, I'm afraid I'll be rather useless at opening heavy doors. I'll keep watch for the rest of you though!" And hey, she kept watch pretty well last time!

Odentin
2014-05-03, 09:22 AM
"At least I have this, now!" Gaston says with a grin as he displays his new found crowbar. Once everyone is ready, he begins working on using the crowbar to open the doors.

Askel
2014-05-03, 09:51 AM
Jun slides effortlessly down the rope, landing firmly on her feet and stepping away from the rope. One after another, the rest of the Raiders join her in her descent, followed finally by Jeware, until at last, everyone is down in the lower shaft. While Kendrick begins checking the old corpse, everyone else's attention is on the door.

You identify the body as that of a male human or half-elf. Both of his legs are broken in many places in a pattern that would indicate a long fall. You also note that he seems to have moved from his original position; he lived long enough to crawl towards the doors before expiring. Though you can't tell an exact time of death, you're sure that several decades must have passed at least since he died, though definitely not more than a hundred years.

Giving the doors an initial push, Gaston is unable to open them. Working together, however, the doors give way, revealing a hallway beyond. The walls of this ten-foot-wide corridor feature bas-relief carvings of great battles. Armies with spears and shields clash at the direction of generals, while other leaders direct troops from chariots that are ruthlessly overrunning their enemies. Engraved stone double doors stand at the other end of the hallway. Like the doors you just opened, the doors at the far end of this hallway depict a man facing inwards. This man is older, though, and is riding a chariot. Like the first set of doors, the man is carrying a scarab shield. His other arm, however, now points to his mirror image depicted on the opposite door.

I'm not going to keep Jeware on the map for the moment. He's a pain to work with, and since he shouldn't be in combat or leading the way anyway, I don't imagine it'll get in the way. If he should be needed, I will add him on.

http://i.imgur.com/QWfrM7D.png

A few map notes: the brown strips in the middle of the hallway are supposed to represent the bas-relief stuff on the walls. Also, I have a very shaky hand; the doors are not, actually, supposed to be crooked like they are. That's just how badly I drew your line of sight on the map. Sorry!

Mathemagics
2014-05-03, 02:19 PM
"Oh, yeah, sure. There's definitely noooooo way this narrow hallway leading further into the tomb could possibly be trapped! Let's all just stroll down it nonchalantly everybody!"

Salera rolls her eyes with a sarcastic smile on her face. Leaning forward into the hallway (but taking care not to actually step over the threshold), she cranes her head to look at the wall carvings.

"Hmm pretty neat though. Good taste in decor. I like it!"

[roll0]

. . . .

. . . .

:smallfrown: :smallmad: :smallfurious: :smallsigh:

Odentin
2014-05-03, 02:22 PM
Gaston chuckles and moves to inspect the hallway for traps, "That's what I'm here for, right?"

I can haz lvl 2 nao? kthx!

Apparently confident that the corridor is not trapped, Gaston continues forward cautiously...

Kyte
2014-05-03, 04:09 PM
Jun peers into the hallway as the doors open, her hair standing up on end as she sees the decor.

Oh, yeah, sure. There's definitely noooooo way this narrow hallway leading further into the tomb could possibly be trapped! Let's all just stroll down it nonchalantly everybody!

She smirks, amused with her sarcasm.

Heh... she's right though. It's probably trapped.

She watches Gaston do a once over, but as he starts to move forward she puts a hand on his shoulder. "Hang on there." She moves passed him a bit. "I got a bad feeling. Why don't you let me take a look..." She takes a good look at the walls, floor and ceiling.

Perception check to find some traps![roll0]

Odentin
2014-05-03, 05:23 PM
Gaston pauses a moment, but when Jun finds nothing he continues down the hallway to the next set of doors, where (unless something goes off along the way) he checks the doors for traps, as well.

[roll0]

Edit: Or not!

Kyte
2014-05-03, 05:30 PM
"Huh." Jun looks at everyone else, shrugs and continues after Gaston. "Not EVERY hall is bound to be trapped right?"

Great, now every hall IS going to be trapped. Why'd ya have to say something?

She watches where she walks, looking for anything suspicious.

Like pressure plates. I hate those.

Perception check on the floor, specifically where she is walking. [roll0]

Logeg
2014-05-03, 07:50 PM
Kendrick decides to wait a bit longer in the room with the body. So far all seems to be going well with the others, but if something bad happens they might need room to run back. He keeps an eye on the others, but at times glances around himself, just in case there are any hidden surprises lurking in dark corners.

Should the last source of light however move out of range, Kendrick will step into the corridor so that he remains able to see.

LordHavelock
2014-05-03, 08:47 PM
Vezhar keeps in close step with Jun as they advance towards the door at the opposite end of the hall, hand on the hilt of his blade as he retrieves a torch with the other, waiting to light it for the moment. "I'm with you Jun, though I'm happy to leave you room to work if you think it necessary. Till then, you've got a friend at your side and someone besides Gaston to open doors for you." He indicates the heavy entrance to the next chamber of the tomb up ahead.

Phasm
2014-05-04, 12:23 AM
Mai listens intently for any sound of skittering feet as she reloads her crossbow; everyone else is blocking her view, but she tries to see around the forest of legs. "Lead on, Gaston!"

[roll0]

Askel
2014-05-04, 12:39 AM
Jun and Gaston cautiously lead the way down the corridor, past depictions of blood and savagery. They are almost to the far doors when Jun's hands reach out to stop anyone from taking another step. There, concealed in the floor and crossing the entire path before them and blocking the doors, is a pressure plate. Following behind the others, Mai even notices the dozens of tiny holes in the bas-relief where darts are rigged to shoot out if the pressure plate is stepped upon.

From the back of the group, Jeware squints in confusion.

"What? Why are we stopping? What is it?" he asks.

Phasm
2014-05-04, 02:40 AM
"Ohhh dear." Once she has the party's attention, Mai points up at the bas-relief. "If you look very closely at the bas-reliefs- fine example of Middle Kingdom style, it's amazing to see intact specimens like this- there are lots and lots of little holes. Just the right size for darts, I would say." She tilts her head back to get a better look. "I wonder if they're poisoned? If they are, I wonder if the poison has survived the centuries, and if so, how?"

Kyte
2014-05-04, 09:24 AM
If you look very closely at the bas-reliefs- fine example of Middle Kingdom style, it's amazing to see intact specimens like this- there are lots and lots of little holes. Just the right size for darts, I would say.

"Heh, you were almost a pin cushion Gaston." She points at the floor. "There's a pressure plate there." She kneels down. "Hold on a sec. I'll take care of it... wouldn't want to ruin that pretty face." She adds, looking up at him as she smiles devilishly. She pulls out a small pack of tools and begins working. "Poison has a habit of sticking around places like this... that's the point... heh."

Disable device [roll0]

Odentin
2014-05-04, 09:39 AM
"Aha. Indeed." Gaston stops and retracts the foot that most nearly landed on the plate, "It seems your beauty is so intoxicating it caused me to miss that. My apologies. I will attempt to resist your distractiveness in the future."

Askel
2014-05-04, 10:53 AM
Working with her tool kit, it only takes Jun a minute to jam the pressure plate. Putting a foot delicately on it, it nothing happens. Applying more weight, nothing happens. The trap appears to be disarmed.

Odentin
2014-05-04, 01:46 PM
"Well done. Now, onto this door."

Perception on the door: [roll0]

Gaston turns towards the door and trips, faceplanting into it.

LordHavelock
2014-05-04, 01:58 PM
Vezhar looks wide eyed at the door, before crouching down next to Mai, "Good catch there, those folks back from the Middle Kingdom apparently weren't too fond of guests if this is one of the finer specimens of their design." He says with a congratulatory air, following the area traced by her indication with his bright amber eyes. Never having much scholarly inclination himself, the pursuits of forgotten knowledge by others holds an almost mystical quality for him, and in the context of actually being able to see it (rather than pouring over some musty old tome) he finds it that much easier to get into the spirit of archaelogy.

Once the trap is disarmed, he steps forward making a brief survey of the door before stowing his torch and holding out his hand for the pry-bar from Gaston. "I'll try and swing one side open at a time and you all be ready for what may be."

Str to open door on my own: [roll1]

Logeg
2014-05-05, 07:06 AM
Seeing the others are ready to open the door, Kendrick joins them, his scimitar ready. He might fear traps, but if there is something evil in the other room, he wants to be there to deal with it. And so far the skills of the others have proven to deal with any troubles he can't fight against.

Mathemagics
2014-05-05, 05:37 PM
Salera seems to be feeling a bit better now. Granted, it will likely still take a bit for the poison to have completely worked its way out of her system, but her personality appears to have rebounded somewhat at least. The elf smiles as the group works its way down the hallway, apparently entirely undisturbed by having nearly walked through a bunch of (probably poisoned) trap-induced crossfire.

"Alright then, what are we waiting for?! Can't be too much more stuff in the way before we find the treasure, right?"

Odentin
2014-05-05, 05:56 PM
Gaston groans as he faceslides down the door to the ground, "This is just not my day."

Once Vez steps forward to take the door, though, the elf jumps up and draws his rapier, facing the opening door in case anything nasty waits on the other side.

Askel
2014-05-05, 10:14 PM
The doors grind reluctantly open, revealing the square foyer beyond. A faded tapestry hangs on a wooden frame on the western wall of the chamber. Faded and delicate, the tapestry depicts a middle-aged man, accompanied by a woman and two children, with a small estate in the background. To either side of the tapestry are two small pedestals, upon which sit two dead animals. Stone double doors exit the chamber both north and south. Jeware holds the torch high so you can see every corner of the chamber.

http://i.imgur.com/YGAw1ux.png

Kyte
2014-05-06, 12:02 PM
"Well, this is depressing." Jun notes as she takes a glance into the room, seeing the dead creatures.

Old tapestries... dead animals... just what we were lookin' for.

"If one of you steps aside I can check for more traps." She looks at Vezhar, then Gaston. "I don't think there are any baddies in there... and if there were they'd wait till we were all in the room." She smiles and shrugs. "That'd be the smart thing to do, right?"

Perception to look for traps on the floor once someone steps aside. [roll0]

Odentin
2014-05-06, 12:42 PM
Gaston enters the room first, cautiously searching for more traps, particularly between the door and the dead animals. Unless he finds something, he calls back to Kendrick, "Priest. Care to inspect these bodies? Make sure they're really dead?"

Of course, if he finds something, he attempts to disarm it.

Take 10 on perception = 16

Logeg
2014-05-06, 12:51 PM
Kendrick waits a moment while Gaston and Jun look around and once the room seems clear, he moves to the apparent dead animals. It wouldn't be the first time that a creature suddenly opens his eyes and attacks. While walking through the room he of course keeps his eyes wide open for other surprises and then takes a good look at the first animal he reaches.

Perception while moving through the room [roll0]
Heal check on dead animal [roll1]

Mathemagics
2014-05-06, 12:51 PM
"Oh, I'm sure they're all really dead. The question is if they're the regular kind of dead or the kind that shambles around after you trying to murder you horribly!"

Salera cranes her head to look around the new room and tentatively steps forward juuuuust a little bit.

"Doesn't look too bad though. Maybe they figured all the stuff up to here would be enough?"

[roll0]

Askel
2014-05-06, 08:18 PM
Bravely, Gaston takes the first step into the foyer while Jun peers past him intently. Everyone watches anxiously, but nothing happens. No darts fire, no pits open up, no blades behead him or forgotten mummies rise in attack. The dust of the room remains undisturbed as everyone else enters the chamber cautiously. While the keen-eyed elven trapsmith begins circling the room slowly, looking for signs of a trap or secret panel, Kendrick approaches one of the dead animals. Standing face to face with it, he can see that it is in fact a mummified cat. Both of the animals are, in fact, placed on these pedestals to guard their master's tomb in death. The mummy's are completely harmless, he can tell; there is absolutely no indication that they are anything more than the honored dead pets of Akhentepi, or perhaps one of his family.

Meanwhile, as everyone else checks out the rest of the room, no one finds any sign of danger in the form of foes or traps. The dusty chamber remains as silent and still as a tomb.

Kyte
2014-05-07, 08:35 PM
Jun hesitates in the doorway for a moment, then shrugs and steps in. "Huh, guess its fine." She approaches the tapestry and dead animals, curiosity getting the better of her. "So are these the guard dogs?" She glances at Kendrick. "Not very good are they?" She crosses her arms and stares up at the tapestry, trying to remember if she's seen that family before.

Knowledge history to see if Jun has heard of the people or the location in the tapestry [roll0]

Logeg
2014-05-08, 05:11 AM
Kendrick nods. "It seems so yes, perhaps they do a better job guarding their master in the afterlife than they do here. Let us hope that means their master is peacefully resting in his afterlife as well." He gives the animal one last look and then focuses his attention to see what the others are doing.

Odentin
2014-05-08, 10:25 AM
Gaston takes a moment to enjoy the architecture of the room while the others investigate, though his eyes do fall upon the tapestry, "Not to sound heartless, but is that tapestry of any worth? Either monetarily, or of religious value? I wouldn't mind bringing some sort of tribute back to the Pharasman clergy, as a show of good faith..."

Askel
2014-05-09, 07:52 AM
As she approaches the tapestry, to her surprise, Jun recognizes it. Her father had a sketch of these people and that place, but the positioning was all different, and his notes were unclear as to the names of these people. Despite that, there can be no doubt at all as to what is depicted. The tapestry is a portrait of Akhentepi, his wife, and two children, shown standing before their family home. Several symbols and hieroglyphs suggest that Akhentepi’s family befell some tragedy, possibly murder or sickness, and he was left widowed. The family on this tapestry is interred at a separate location from the man, Jun recalls from her father's notes, and his tomb was prepared much later, after a successful military career.

Kyte
2014-05-10, 03:40 PM
"Huh." Jun murmurs, then shrugs, opting not to share the information. "So, we going north or south?" She looks to the north, then walks to the southern doors. "I vote south." She crouches down by the door, looking it over for any traps.

perception check to look for traps[roll0]

LordHavelock
2014-05-11, 12:14 PM
Vezhar takes a quick survey of the room, even pausing to give a smile at the guardian cat, maintaining just enough distance to avoid the worst of the mustiness. "Family man, was he? Anyone care to speculate on whether we're angering some long lost relative or another?" Vezhar says, hoping to lighten the mood a bit after their almost encounter with the poison darts. Seems that a room without traps serves to raise the tension amongst them at least as much as a close encounter with actual traps. 'Dread is as powerful a tool for deterrence as anything.' He muses somewhat morbidly, though his smile never fades. Making his way over to the tapestry, he takes stock of it's craftsmanship and material. "I can't speak to the historical significance, or what the Pharasman's would make of us bringing it back, but in terms of coin . . ." The ifrit mulls over the depiction of the family long dead with just a twinge of melancholy.

Appraise Check: [roll0]

Logeg
2014-05-11, 12:33 PM
While Vezhar seems to be calculating the worth of the tapestry Kendrick let's his attention go there as well. "It might not be my religion , but luckily the Everlight welcomes most religions on this world and works together with most. Let me see if I remember anything that might be of use, since there are enough religions where such a gift would be very welcomed while other priests can't imagine a bigger blasphemy."

Naturally he studies the tapestry in the mean time for anything that could please or displease the clergy.

[roll0]

Askel
2014-05-12, 11:57 AM
The tapestry is in fine condition, but of very simple cloth. If sold to the right person, it could be worth as much as 50 gp.

This tapestry is of no real value to any church you know of.

After a few minutes of searching, with Jeware nervously hanging around near the doors you all just came through, Jun finally declares the doors safe and pushes them open. In the chamber beyond, a massive mirror stretches across the southern wall of this chamber, flanked by two statues. The statue to the east depicts a tall, gaunt woman in a flowing, hooded gown, holding an hourglass. The figure to the west is that of a jackal-headed man carrying a scepter or staff in his hand. Stone double doors, standing slightly ajar, lead to the east and west. Torch holders sculpted in the shape of bird skulls are built in each corner, and a thin layer of dust covers every surface.

http://i.imgur.com/87ciILc.png

Odentin
2014-05-12, 12:34 PM
Looking past Jun into the room, Gaston let's out a low whistle, "Now that's promising."

Odentin
2014-05-13, 07:44 PM
When it becomes clear that no one else is brave enough to enter the room, Gaston steps past Jun gingerly and begins his sweep, spending a little extra time on the mirror and doors.

Taking 10 on Perception: 16

Kyte
2014-05-13, 10:28 PM
Jun moves in after Gaston, taking in the room a bit beforehand. Her eyes pause on the ajar doors.

Well, that's... odd.

She walks to the western door and glances through it without opening it the rest of the way. She remains surprisingly tight lipped as she does so, glancing suspiciously at the mirror.

Perception check into the room [roll0]

Logeg
2014-05-14, 08:26 AM
Kendrick waits patiently for the more experienced under them to judge the safety of the chambers, as always scimitar ready to strike should something emerge. But once the first moment passes without clear signs of life or unlife, his attention is quickly drawn to the statues.

Unless something happens within the next moment or one of his friends stops him, Kendrick moves to study the statues closer.

Perception [roll0]
Knowledge religion [roll1]

Mathemagics
2014-05-15, 01:44 PM
Salera follows the others into the next room, glancing around excitedly in the process. She notices as Jun's gaze holds for a moment on the open doors, a feature which also causes her some small amount of confusion. This is quickly replaced by the standard smile though as she turns to the rest of the group.

"Well, no footprints in the dust at least. That's a good thing... oh unless there's ghosts. Ghosts wouldn't leave footprints, I'd imagine."

LordHavelock
2014-05-15, 02:27 PM
"Well, we already knew that someone had tried to get inside this tomb, but perhaps they were not so deterred by the deaths of others in their party as they might have been." Vezhar muses aloud, a certain grim fascination in his voice as he approaches the easternmost doors and listens at them a moment.

"Does anyone recognize those figures? Perhaps they provide some indication of what lies beyond these doors in their respective directions?"

Knowledge Local: [roll0]; for any familiarity Vezhar might have with the figures from Wati itself, anywhere they were featured prominently or lingering stories about who they were and might mean.

Askel
2014-05-15, 06:39 PM
Gaston and Jun lead the way into the chamber as usual, taking their time to properly look everything over. It doesn't take long to determine that there are no traps in this particular room, though as the others begin shuffling in, Gaston notices movement from the south wall. He turns to see that it is coming from the mirror. The image reflected is that of everyone walking into the room, a normal sight. What is not normal, however, is the dour looking man standing behind Gaston's reflection. His skin is bronzed from years under the sun, and he looks to be mature, perhaps in his forties. The figure is wearing white ceremonial robes, which shift as Gaston moves, as though he were really there; on his head is a headdress. Seeing that Gaston has noticed his appearance in the mirror, the robed man shakes his head in disappointment and disgust. Other than that, though, the reflection of the man makes no move.

Meanwhile, Jun and Vezhar investigate the two open doors. Vezhar hears the sound of something crunch through the doors, and can make out some kind of preparation chamber beyond, though nothing comes out to assault him. On the western side of the room, looking through the doors, Jun sees a long stairway descending down, deeper into the crypt. Standing next to Jun, Kendrick doesn't need but a moment to identify both of the room's two statues. The female statue is, once again, Pharasma, while the other is the ancient Osirian god, Anubis.

Looking back suspiciously at the mirror as she does, Jun catches sight of the robed, headdressed man in the mirror. She can see in the reflection that he stands just behind Gaston. His eyes turn to catch her, and he shakes his head in disgust before his expression reverts to simple stern disapproval.

Odentin
2014-05-16, 07:53 PM
Gaston wheels around on the man behind him. Presumably, the man isn't actually there, which causes him to wheel around again, staring at the mirror, "Please tell me I'm not the only one who sees that guy in the mirror. You know, the one who isn't actually here?"

Kyte
2014-05-18, 09:18 AM
Jun frowns at the man in the mirror, then nods at Gaston. "Ya, I see him." She takes a step closer to the mirror, knowing just how to deal with the situation."Look, buddy; You're dead, or at least Akhentepi is. You guys don't need this stuff anymore. Plus we have permission." She crosses her arms. "Door leads further down over there."

LordHavelock
2014-05-19, 10:54 AM
Vezhar seems unperturbed at the mention of some disembodied reflection in the mirror of the room for the moment, instead focusing his attention on whatever might be on the other side of the door. "Really? Very interesting, and all that implies . . ." He says loudly, trying to draw attention towards him before looking very pointedly at Gaston and mouthing 'there's something in this chamber'

Bluff to use innuendo and convey the presence of something potentially hostile to anyone looking at Vezhar, but mostly Gaston.
[roll0]

Odentin
2014-05-19, 02:57 PM
Gaston nods to Vezhar and points to the door with his rapier. He approaches the door and prepares for whether is behind it...

Preparing for combat. Once the group is ready, he'll kick the door in or indicate for Vez to pull it open...

Logeg
2014-05-19, 03:22 PM
Aware of the actions of his friends, Kendrick retreats from the statues with some difficulty as they are interesting to him, but it seems there is work to be done. His scimitar and shield always ready, he too turns to the doors, ready to fight if needed. And if there is something alive or not dead enough around it, it is very likely that there will be a fight. He does share his information on the statues with Mai, so she can take it up in her notes.

Mathemagics
2014-05-20, 11:55 AM
Salera walks over towards the others, drawing her own weapon in the process. With her perpetual smile still remaining, she nods at the door with a whisper.

"So tell us, Gaston, what's behind door number 3!?"

Phasm
2014-05-22, 02:16 AM
Mai has been furiously sketching the room as the others look around, her nimble fingers fairly flying across the page. The statues each get a more detailed picture, labeled with the names of the deities they represent. "Oh, this is so exciting! A real ghost in the mirror? Fascinating! What does he look like? Do you think it's Akhentepi?" The gnome cranes her neck, trying to get a view of the mirror. "By the way, that tapestry? I wouldn't recommend trying to remove it, cloth does deteriorate over time; attempting to remove it from where it currently hangs may well cause the whole thing to disintegrate. We would have irritated any resident ghosts for no reason, although they will probably be irritated anyway by the time we're done. Hazards of exploration, I suppose." Somehow she manages to say all five sentences in one breath.

Once it becomes obvious that the party is planning to move on, Mai puts away her writing materials and readies her crossbow once more.

Askel
2014-05-22, 08:28 PM
The man in the mirror locks gazes with any who look upon him, holding their gaze until they look away. Always, his expression is the same, and his unspoken words are apparent.

You are plundering my tomb. Trespassers. Thieves.

As she moves to take a closer look, though, Jun notices movement down the stairs. It is just on the edge of her peripherals, but there all the same. Looking back down, a flight of steps gradually descends to the west. Halfway down the stairs, small holes and burrowed tunnels riddle what remains of the passage’s southern wall. Earth and sand have spilled over the collapsed masonry, covering the stairs with dirt and rubble. Stone doors engraved with a golden scarab, its wings open beneath a golden sun, stand at either end of the stairs. There is no sign of whatever she thought she saw, and no sound to indicate it was anything but her imagination.

Meanwhile, the others are gathering near the eastern doors, save for Jeware who comes to stand in front of the mirror, gawking in wonder at the figure within. On Gaston's mark, Vezhar pushes the doors open the rest of the way, allowing the group's light to illuminate the room within. Pillars line the walls of this rectangular chamber, interspersed
with stone jackal heads extending from the walls. A stone altar, covered in a layer of dust, sits at the eastern end of the room. Resting atop it, tearing a mining beetle apart with a giant pincer, is some type of scorpion-like creature. Another one is crawling around on the floor beside the altar. Neither of them notice the observers, for the time being.

Your move, guys. You have a surprise round. You can evade this fight entirely, or do more "typical" PC things, like xp grind. Jun, you also may act in the surprise round; just act accordingly. I will be using block initiative this time around (because it works like a charm in Havelock's game), so go ahead and include an initiative roll when you post next, please and thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/nPoZbAS.png

Odentin
2014-05-22, 09:59 PM
Gaston doesn't even think. He reacts. Instinctively, he bends at the knees, bringing his basket hilt up to his eyes, blade parallel to the ground, and pounces. Springing forward towards the scorpions, his face set in uncharacteristic blank concentration, he plunges his rapier into the arachnid before him...

Charging southern scorpion.
Sneak Attack: [roll2]

LordHavelock
2014-05-23, 02:49 PM
Seemingly thrilled to have caught their latest foes unawares, and all too oblivious to the reflection currently damning them, Vezhar charges full tilt towards the scorpions as well, flourishing his cloak before him with a raucous cry meant to distract and befuddle opponents in the arena, but against the scorpions, purely for dramatic effect. His gladius sings out a hiss through the air as he brings it in a low sweep directly at the scorpion's many-limbs and chitinous body.

Charge the northen scorpion: [roll0]; Damage (sneak attack)[roll1]

Logeg
2014-05-23, 03:56 PM
With the others in the way Kendrick doesn't reach the creatures just yet, but he too moves into the room. He hopes no traps will be triggered now his comrades haven't checked the room for those annoying things first but it never is a good idea to leave something lurking behind you. Especially when they might meet these creatures again on their way out, when the group could be more exhausted and wounded.

[roll0]

Mathemagics
2014-05-24, 11:51 AM
"Yeah! More scorpion...things!? Close enough!"

Salera runs in behind Gaston and Vezhar, looking for her own chance to get in a hit on the strange creatures before they can react. The close confines of the room appear to give her some difficulty in making an approach, however, and when she finally gets into stabbing range, she's already somewhat off-balance. Even still, the elf tries getting a hit in before the creatures can react, after all, she might get in a lucky swing.

Charging the southern one.

Initiative Roll: [roll0]

Kyte
2014-05-24, 05:13 PM
Jun pulls herself away from the stairs as the eastward doors open. Seeing the scorpions inside she smirks. "They don't even see us... heh, they won't see it comin'." She pulls out her gun quietly, aims and fires when she gets a clear shot.

Move east 5 feet, shoot northern scorpian
Initiative: [roll0]
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Phasm
2014-05-25, 03:19 AM
"More scorpions? How tedious." Mai steps into the space Kendrick vacated, sights along the stock of her crossbow at the northern scorpion, and fires. The gnome starts reloading almost as soon as the bolt is gone, privately wishing she had learned some more offensive spells.

I hope nobody's in her line of fire, it's kind of hard for me to keep track.

Askel
2014-05-27, 09:31 PM
Gaston and Vezhar rush into the room first. The elf is able to surprise the scorpion-like creature as his weapon crashes down on its hard carapace, but the one perched on the altar is unfortunately ready for Vezhar. The creature catches the gladius in a large, solid claw, deflecting the blow. The sounds of their blades striking hard, chitinous exoskeletons resounds through the close, dark tomb as Kendrick and Salera also move in.

There is a deafening crack! that splits the air as Jun shoots the creature fighting Gaston, but while yellowish blood blasts from the hole in its body, the creature thrashes for a moment and even manages to claw at Salera, bringing her charge up short before she can finish it off. Its legs skitter around on the ground as it regains its feet. Behind it, another of the ugly creatures scurries into sight at the sound of activity and potential food.

Mai steps into the doorway, crossbow at the ready, and fires on the creature perched on the altar. Her bolt aims true, and hits the creature in the face, piercing right through and eliciting a loud shriek of pain. The monstrous arachnid skitters backwards uncertainly from Mai and Vezhar's fury.

Round 0
Vezhar, Gaston, Salera, Jun
???(scorpion-like creatures)
Round 1
Mai, Kendrick, Vezhar, Gaston, Salera, Jun
Round 2
Round 3
etc....

Gaston hits S2 for 8 damage
Vezhar misses S1
Salera misses S2 (by 1)
Jun hits S2 for 7 damage
Mai hits S1 for 6 damage
S3 and S4 join combat

http://i.imgur.com/xfrqvag.png

Odentin
2014-05-27, 10:23 PM
"Step with me, Vez!" Gaston barks out as he hops up onto the altar alongside S1, indicating for Vez to join him in flanking the arachnid. As he does, he twists and stabs at S2 once more, getting in a shot at it's weaker points before it can properly defend itself...

Hopping one square to the right, attacking S2. Should still be Flat Footed since it hasn't acted yet.

Attack: [roll0] +1=14
Sneak Attack: [roll2]

Kyte
2014-05-28, 11:32 AM
Jun reloads her gun swiftly and raises it again. For a moment she stares into the room, watching her team fight the arachnids.

I might hit someone... I mean I'm good but...

She sighs and holsters it, pulling out her longsword from her belt.

"Heh, forget I have this sometimes..."

She stands guard at the door in case any scorpions try to make a break for it.

Move to reload, standard to draw longsword

LordHavelock
2014-05-28, 02:09 PM
Vezhar, acting in concert with Gaston, dances neatly around the altar and the scorpion-creature atop it, in order attack on the opposite side, flanking the chitinous vermin, the better to avoid it's thickly armored claws. Striking out with his gladius, he brings it in a broad slash at chest height, looking to sweep the creature's lower body in the strike, and perhaps remove the threat of it's dangerous tail. "Gaston! Don't let yourself be surrounded!" He calls out, the pit-fighter in him admiring Gaston's instincts in seizing the high ground, but wary of how dangerous a position he has put himself in amidst the bulk of their opponents. In the sands of the arena, finding yourself surrounded quickly spelled the end for even the most able of fighters.

5ft step immediately north east
Attack the flanked scorpion-thing: [roll0]; Damage [roll1]

Logeg
2014-05-30, 09:29 AM
Kendrick moves to the spot Gaston used to be on and attacks the most southern 'scorpion' if still alive, else the flanked one. It seems a bit more busy in this room than he had seen upon entering, but now is extra happy they deal with these creatures first instead of having to deal with them on their way out.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Mathemagics
2014-05-30, 02:09 PM
Salera shoots a quick glare, not at the scorpion-creature she just managed to miss, but at her own weapon.

"I really should find something else to use... this stupid rapier is useless!"

Nevertheless, she takes another stab at the enemy; if she can't kill it, maybe she can at least distract it enough that Gaston has one less problem to worry about after hopping up on that altar.

Attacking adjacent scorpion-thingamajig: [roll0]
Damage if hit: [roll1]

Askel
2014-05-30, 09:29 PM
One of the creatures snaps at Gaston as he leaps over its claws, landing nimbly on top of the altar. Before the creature can turn or even think about climbing up to attack him, his blade is punching through the top of its body, skewering it to the floor just second before Salera, who was readying to do the same thing. The one behind Gaston moves to claw at his exposed back, but Vezhar is there, moving around the side of the altar and slashing at the monstrous critter. It shrieks a strange, alien, bug-like scream and turns back towards Vezhar, lashing out at him with both claws and all of its teeth.

The two that were nesting behind the altar are stirred into a starving frenzy by the sounds of all the commotion going on around them. One tries to squeeze between the column in the corner and the altar, lashing out at Vezhar while he is distracted. The other half-climbs up so that it can reach Gaston and reaches for him with both razor sharp claws, its hungry maw snapping eagerly.

Gaston hits S2 for 11 damage. S2 is all kinds of dead.
Jun reloads.
Vezhar hits S1 for 10 damage.
Salera misses.

???1 makes a full attack against Vezhar:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
If both claw attacks hit:
[roll6]
Vezhar takes 4 damage.

???3 makes a full attack against Vezhar:
Vezhar has +4 to AC due to cover
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]

???4 makes a full attack against Gaston
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]
[roll20]

Everyone may now take a turn save Kendrick, who has already posted his actions for this round. Kendrick's post will be included in THIS set of actions. If you wish to edit your post, you may do so and I will not complain.

http://i.imgur.com/Xt5fIuh.png

Odentin
2014-05-30, 09:40 PM
"Your concern is appreciated! Be sure to watch yourself, though!" Gaston quips as he spins back around to gang up on the poor, flanked scorpiothing.

Atk [roll0]
Dmg [roll1]
SA [roll2]

LordHavelock
2014-06-02, 10:37 AM
Vezhar grins and takes a twisting leap up onto the altar next to Gaston, after the next scorpion creature has been dispatched and uses the momentum of his leap and the new advantage of height to stab downward against the creature on the furthest side of the chamber (not to be outdone by Gaston's own display of acrobatic expertise). Written across his bronzed features is a grin of exhilaration despite the wound from the creatures claw, as Vezhar is intent on returning the favor in kind!

Acrobatics to jump up onto the Altar without provoking an AoO:[roll0]
Attacking creature due East: [roll1]

Kyte
2014-06-02, 11:28 AM
They're sure makin' a commotion...

Jun takes a glance behind her at the western stairs, then looks back to the scorpions. She feels like someone is watching her... then again she might just be paranoid from the whole 'angry mirror' thing. She tries to shrug it off and readies herself, just in case one of the little buggers try to scurry away.

Ready an action to attack any scorpion that tries to escape the room
Attack roll: [roll0]

Mathemagics
2014-06-02, 02:40 PM
"Hey! I could have totally gotten that one!"

Salera cuts her good-natured protest short and nimbly steps around the fallen scorpionthing to direct her attention to another one of the creatures behind the altar.

"At least lemme have this one, okay?!"

5 foot step into the space formerly occupied by the now dead scorpioncritter.
Attacking the enemy immediate to Gaston's right, up-right diagonal of Salera.

Askel
2014-06-04, 08:00 PM
Charging forward, Kendrick brings his scimitar down towards the hardened body of the scorpion-like 'thing'. The creature moves, though, oblivious to its own peril as it bites at Gaston. The priest's sword misses it entirely, the blade rebounding with a metallic clack off of the stone altar.

While Mai and Jun hang back in the doorway, ranged weapons trained on the altar inside, Gaston and Vezhar tag team the creature on the altar. When it moves aside from a chop from Vezhar's gladius, Gaston easily and neatly cleaves it in two.

One of the creatures makes a grab around the corner for Vezhar, but he leaps right over its reach, up onto the altar. The creature follows him, then notices Gaston, still dancing away from the claws and bite of the other. It reaches for the nimble elf, changing tactics in a final desperate effort to get the food it so craves.

Salera stabs into it, but the creature barely seems to notice the jab as its hardened exoskeleton takes the brunt of the attack. The creature does, however, notice the new target. It turns, clawing and biting irritably at this new enemy.

Kendrick misses
Gaston hits S1 for 8 damage. S1 is dead.
Vezhar hits S3 for damage.
[roll0]
Salera hits for 1 damage.

S3 makes a full attack against Salera:
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

S4 makes a full attack against Gaston:
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]

http://i.imgur.com/hkp6DX4.png

Odentin
2014-06-04, 08:22 PM
Gaston grits his teeth at the strike, but leaves the other scorpion to Vezhar while he deals with the one attacking poor Salera. With a shout, he strikes again...

"Ha-HA!"

Attacking the southern one, S3, I think.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Kyte
2014-06-05, 12:30 PM
Ha-HA!

"Well, at least someone's having fun." Jun notes dryly. She looks at Mai, but the stairs to the west draw her attention again. She moves closer, trying to listen over the sounds of battle and... Gaston.

I thought I heard something down there... probably more of those scorpion things.

She kicks a small pebble down the stairs, peering through the dark.

Move west 15 feet, perception check [roll0]

Mathemagics
2014-06-05, 12:34 PM
"Ow! Owowowowow!"

Salera's reaction is very much over the top, evidence that her wound probably isn't really all that bad. If it were worse, she wouldn't have the energy to make such a big deal of it.

"Stupid scorpion... things! Just hold still for a second! And stop biting me! It's rude!"

The elf takes another quick stab at the creature before deciding to back off just a bit and give the others more room to maneuver about.

Attacking the neighboring scorpioncritter and then taking a 5 foot step backwards.

Logeg
2014-06-05, 12:41 PM
Once Salera moves out of the way, Kendrick fills the opened spot and attacks the 'scorpion'. So far everyone seems to be able to handle their wounds, but of course he pays close attention to how his friends look like. Striking the scorpion with his scimitar, he hopes to hit a bit better this time.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

LordHavelock
2014-06-06, 12:12 AM
"Well struck Gaston! Though you may yet be shown up by our priestly devotee to the Lady of Bones!" Vezhar cries, the thrill and din of battle now well upon him as he neatly takes his place in their impromptu fighting line between the other two armed combatants, their trio of slashing and piercing weapons making for a forest of steel facing down the remaining arachnid creatures. A more experienced or knowledgeable foe might have surrendered before such an assault, but the beasts behaved like the cornered creatures they were and Vezhar piteously struck at the many-limbed vermin directly before him as he had cut down many an exotic beast on the bloodied sands, looking to spill it's ichor in what was still a sand-ridden pit, if not his usual arena.

Attack S3: [roll0]; Damage [roll1]

Askel
2014-06-10, 07:47 PM
Salera swings wildly at the creature as she backs away. It moves to follow after her, claws snapping menacingly, but suddenly Gaston is there, bringing his own sword down on the creature's hard back. Kendrick rushes forward as well, and the two of them hack at the helpless scorpion-creature for a moment before it changes its mind and lashes out at the pestering elf once more. The elf nimbly dodges the angry creature; once, twice, thrice, he easily hopes over its claws and bats its maw away with his sword. He makes it look so easy that it takes a moment for the elf to realize that the creature has suddenly grasped hold of his armor. Suddenly, its on him, knocking him off the altar and ravaging him with its claws. It grasps his arms, his face, and then his throat-with a stifled cry, Gaston tries to throw the creature off of him but it is too late. The creature is on him and can't be stopped. Bite after bite, claw after claw, soon the elf is no longer resisting the creature.

Nearby, Vezhar, still standing beside Gaston and enjoying a certain height advantage, finds himself so busy weaving dancing out of the way of the claws of the creature that he is unable to land a solid blow. The creature doesn't seem to notice, though. It mindlessly continues its efforts to catch Vezhar by something more final than his leg or wrist. It catches his sword arm with one claw, and he is only barely able to avoid its hungry maw. Unfortunately, the creature is relentless. It leaps onto his chest and suddenly, it is clawing and stabbing and ripping and rending into him, tearing at cloth and flesh. Vezhar collapses beneath the creature's weight and his head strikes the stone altar. The creature continues ripping and tearing at him, spattering his blood across the stone altar-top.

While the fight turns vicious in the other room, Jun's attention shifts back to the sound she'd heard earlier. Once again, she can just make out the sounds of something moving down the stairs. She moves to the doorway and peers through the opening cautiously. Mai, curious, follows after Jun, bringing with her enough light to reveal the broken stairway. There is no sign of any creatures or movement. A little bit of loose dust falls from the ceiling, settling atop an already decently sized pile of sand and detritus midway down the stairs. The doors at the bottom glitter mysteriously from Mai's light, exaggerating the shadows of the dark burrows and recesses along the southern wall.

"Wow! Is the sand moving? It looks like there's a person in there! Could it be a mummy?!" Mai asks suddenly, pointing at the sand.

As though in reply, the large pile of sand suddenly does shift, and for a moment, Jun and Mai both see the head and shoulders of a man, as though he were shifting his position to get more comfortable, before it all fell back into the pile of sand and rubble it was before.

Gaston hits S3 for 4 damage
Salera misses
Kendrick hits S3 for 5 damage
Vezhar misses
Mai makes a perception check
[roll0]

S3 makes a full attack against Gaston:
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
Gaston takes 5 damage. Gaston is unconscious!

S4 makes a full attack against Vezhar:
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
Vezhar takes 10 damage. Vezhar is unconscious!

http://i.imgur.com/pPAo8Sg.png

Mathemagics
2014-06-10, 10:05 PM
"Uh... hey um, hey Jun? Mai? Uh, could use a little help over here!"

The elf tries to play it up like it's not that big a deal, but the scared tone creeping into her voice is pretty obvious. Her gaze flickers momentarily between the bloodied and barely-moving forms of her friends and the remaining scorpions. As the creatures begin to creep forward, she takes a quick swing at one and then shuffles backwards, trying to keep from getting pinned down herself.

Attacking the adjacent critter, then taking a 5-foot step diagonally backwards.

Kyte
2014-06-10, 10:08 PM
Jun squints hard at the sand... man. "Uh... that's..." She hears a yelp behind her and turns back around. "Guys?" Her eyes widen in surprise. "G-Gaston?" Her eyes travel down his unconscious form, disbelief clouding her eyes as the scorpion bites and claws at him over and over. "That's not right..." She sees Vezhar nearby, suffering a similar fate. "Not right-"

Uh... hey um, hey Jun? Mai? Uh, could use a little help over here!

She moves forward, her hand reaching toward the cool metal on her belt. "-at all." She grasps the handle of her gun and pulls it from her holster, shooting at the creature as soon as the barrel is pointed at it.

Move east 5 feet, shooting the southern scorpion

Logeg
2014-06-11, 02:34 PM
Seeing two of his mates going down by the stupid scorpion-things Kendrick can't help but mutter a soft curse. Nothing too serious as he is a cleric, but still it makes very clear he prefers his friends standing and fighting. While Salera makes another attack at the creature in front of Kendrick, he calls upon the Eternal Light to help him and his friends in this fight.

As the divine energy heals everyone (except 2 stupid scorpions), including himself, he hopes it won't draw new attention to the badly wounded persons.

[roll0]

Odentin
2014-06-11, 09:16 PM
Gaston's eyes fly open as the wave of healing energy flows through him. Chuckling, he throws his legs up over his head, then springs them up and forward to throw himself to his feet. "Can't be rid of me THAT easily!"

With a flourish, he strikes again! Or not!

Acrobatics to stand: [roll0]
[roll2]

LordHavelock
2014-06-12, 11:51 AM
Vezhar initially cries out in pain as the vermin's claws scythe through his robes and into his flesh, but the sudden shock as they attempt to apparently rend him in twain, strangles whatever scream might have followed as he topples down on top of the alter, barely managing to kick away the vicious creature before it simply begins to eat him alive, before passing out into unconsciousness, a savage wound ripped open across his abdomen. His hands clutch at the flesh there, trying to apply pressure, as the blood seeps out, staining his robes and the altar and running in long rivulets down onto the sand below, but in his mind he knows it's already over. No man can survive in the pits losing that much blood, and though he might be unlike most other men and fighters, he was still mortal beneath his bronzed flesh. As his amber eyes began to close, he thought back on the last time he had been wounded so severely, to another merely mortal wound where he had survived only on the whim of the pit-master, who had determined he should be allowed to live for his valor. "Alas . . . this pit has no master, unless my companions may yet find it's secrets and treasures without me . . . " He thought, wondering if they would truly mourn him, or Lord Teyrand for that matter. Gaston had gone down too at his side, which would leave only Mai who actually knew of the Ifrit's mentor, but then, perhaps it was best if the old man died himself, never knowing his pupil's failed quest for glory, and dashed dreams of being a Swordlord himself.

Then, a surge of life seemed to flow through him, as motes of light gathered around his wound, staunching the bleeding and mending flesh and all at once he remembered the company yet he had kept. Blackness was still consuming his mind, but out of the corner of his eye, he swore he could see that priest, Kendrick muttering a curse even as the power of his god healed them all. 'I'll be damned . . .' He thought, just before unconsciousness claimed him.

Askel
2014-06-12, 10:29 PM
The sand hasn't even fully settled from the giant apparition's appearance before Jun hear's the sound of her friends in peril. She runs for the door, arriving just in time to see Salera's blade skewer the creature atop the altar. It thrashes and struggles for a moment before falling still. Granted a brief reprieve, Kendrick immediately begins to pray.

Golden light emanates from his holy symbol, bathing everyone in its radiance for a mere moment. Then, Gaston and Vezhar are both shifting and groaning. In a heartbeat, Gaston is back on his feet, sword ready but no enemy in range. Right on cue, the one remaining scorpion-creature skitters across the floor, great claws clenching at Kendrick, horrid teeth gnashing hungrily.

Behind Jun, Jeware reaches out a hand, still staring in wonder at the mirror. He hesitates, however, his hand halting inches from the smooth glass. The figure in the mirror frowns disapprovingly, but only Mai is able to see the spectacle, so distracted are all the others.

Salera hits S3 with a critcal hit for 5 damage. S3 is dead.
Jun's roll is banked until her next attack
Vezhar and Gaston heal 3 hp. Gaston is conscious; Vezhar is stable.

S4 does a full attack against Kendrick:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

http://i.imgur.com/XeHOmNq.png

Odentin
2014-06-14, 10:55 AM
Gaston hops up on the altar to join the corpse of the scorpion that nearly killed him and renews his attack on the final beastie.

Acro: [roll0]
Damage: [roll2]

Mathemagics
2014-06-14, 11:52 AM
Alright, maybe things weren't quite so bad now. Seeing Gaston hop back up and go for the last of the creatures, Salera nods and follows suit. Though instead of hopping up on the altar herself (which would require jumping on top of poor Vehzar), she slips around it to the north and comes at the scorpion from the side...

Moving diagonally up to the space just above Vezhar, then diagonally down to the spot just above scorpion. Should avoid AoOs with this path.
Attacking scorpion with flanking.

Logeg
2014-06-14, 12:20 PM
The armor and shield Kendrick carries with him all the time might limit his mobility highly, but with the way the angry scorpion attacks him, the cleric is very happy happy or he would surely be ripped apart. His earlier wound gone thanks to the Goddess but now replaced by one of the claws of the scorpion. "Stupid move Scorpion... Kendrick mutters, happy with the attacks of his friends on the creature and including his own scimitar to hopefully make an end to this fight

Kyte
2014-06-14, 07:17 PM
Jun moves into the room, keeping her gun trained on the last scorpion as the others appear to finish it off. "Make sure it's dead!" She adds, unable to get the best view. She glances over the injured party members and frowns, not at all happy with how this went down.

Just a bunch of damn scorpions... if we can't handle this...

The westward hallway looms behind her, sending a shiver down her spine.

Move east 5 squares, north 1 square. Using banked roll to shoot scorpion if its still alive

Askel
2014-06-14, 10:55 PM
Gaston vaults lightly up to the altar, managing to dodge a grasping claw and nick the scorpion-like creature in one fluid motion. The creature opens its mouth, easily moving around along the floor to dodge Salera's hasty lunge at it. It starts to move for Gaston once more, making a low clicking sound as its feet scrabble on the altar. Whatever its intentions, though, as Kendrick's blade arcs down, cleaving the head and claws right off the creature in a single final slice.

For a moment, there is nothing but the sound of heavy breathing as Jun walks slowly towards the fighters. Vezhar is still unconscious on the altar-top. A thorough search of the dead creatures surrounding the altar confirms that they are all indeed dead.

Before anyone can speak, though, or turn attention to healing Vezhar, the still air is pierced by a loud, shrill shriek of terror from Jeware. He screams, clawing at his forehead, blood seeping through his fingers, then turns in a blind panic to dash north back the way you all came, clutching his forehead all the while. The robed figure in the mirror watches him flee disapprovingly.

Gaston hits S4 for 3 damage.
Salera misses.
Kendrick hits with a critical hit for 13 damage, killing it.
Combat is over... for now...

http://i.imgur.com/Zr8I8Yi.png

Odentin
2014-06-14, 11:10 PM
"Oh son of a-... Take care of Vez!"

Gaston rolls his eyes and snaps off. Then, without waiting for an answer, dead sprints after the idiot minion who decided to touch something...

Gaston has the Run feat. The "chase" should be over as soon as it begins...

Lemme know if you need any Acro checks to take corners, though...

Mathemagics
2014-06-15, 12:15 AM
"Wha..?! Oh come on! We just finished one problem!? What now?!"

Salera takes a few steps after the fleeing hireling and Gaston, before realizing she won't catch up to them any time soon and slowing to a stop. Giving an exasperated sigh, she glances around in an attempt to find out what could have set the man off in the first place. Almost as an afterthought, she mutters a couple arcane syllables, causing her eyes to glow with the telltale sign that she's once again looking for magic.

First a Perception check to see if there's anything mundane that seems out of place, unusual, etc.
[roll0]
Then casting Detect Magic to see if there's any fun auras or whatnot to see, particularly involving that mirror.

Logeg
2014-06-15, 04:39 PM
It might not be the right mindset for a Cleric, but Kendrick loved the sound his scimitar made as it ended the existence of the scorpion. Of course there were big differences between ending the life of a soulless critter and that of a civilized being. There hardly was any moment to enjoy the feeling as new problems seemed to emerge... or at least Jeware makes to seem so before running off.

Luckily there doesn't seem any immediate danger so Kendrick looks at the others, hoping that Jeware and Gaston will return in a moment. "Vezhar and me can use an extra blessing from the goddess and more of you still look somewhat injured. I hope that you all, or at least most of you will join me in a short prayer." He waits another moment to give Gaston time to return as the man can use some healing too.

"Oh Everlight that has guided us here, that leads us on this dark path. Please look after us as we bring light to this place where the sun does not reach other than in your name. Warm us with your fire and mercy so that we can withstand the dangers and opponents that block our path. Let us bring Dawn."

Once again all within 30 ft heal [roll0]

Kyte
2014-06-16, 11:05 AM
Jun holsters her gun, raising a brow as Jeware goes running off. "Huh, maybe he doesn't like arachnids?" She shrugs and moves over to Vezhar, ready to help him up once he wakes.

When Kendrick finishes his prayer she points down the west hall. "I should probably mention... there's a sand man down there." She says, sounding a little amused at her own joke.

LordHavelock
2014-06-16, 11:18 AM
Vezhar's head swims as he finds light returning to the world as he makes the perceptibly long trek back towards consciousness. New life and vigor suffuses his limbs and his first reaction is to sit up, biting off a groan as he his hand reflexively moves towards the gash along his abdomen, only to be amazed at how little pain he truly feels, and at the progress it has already made towards healing. Having been the recipient of such magic only a few times before, and being much more familiar with the use of potions in the fighting pits, Kendrick's direct and generous gift on behalf of the Everlight stirs in him a feeling of gratitude seldom equaled in the Ifrit's trying life.

"Thank you," He says, as much to Jun as she moves to help him to his feet from the altar, but has no words for Kendrick as he looks with a veritable sense of awe at the cleric. "I thought myself met with an untimely end. I am not used to having such able and . . . generous companions to finish a fight for me." Vezhar finds it difficult to find the proper words to convey his gratitude, but his tone is most expressive of the sincerity of his thanks.

Having not heard Jeware's scream, he turns his attention to Jun as he stretches and retrieves his gladius. "What do you mean by that?"

Kyte
2014-06-16, 03:07 PM
I thought myself met with an untimely end. I am not used to having such able and . . . generous companions to finish a fight for me.

Jun smacks him roughly on the back. "Careful, you'll make him blush!" She says, winking at Kendrick.

I was kind of worried there for a minute...

What do you mean by that?

"Y'know... like the guy who comes at night to..." She clears her throat. "It's some kind of thing... made of sand. It looks like a man, except I think it's too big." She glances down the hall. "It was just leaning against the wall down there. I don't know if it knows we're here."

Askel
2014-06-17, 10:16 PM
Gaston runs after Jeware. He has to take the stairs three at a time, and even then only just manages to put a hand on Jeware's shoulder to slow the man before he rushes back into the hall with the dart throwers.

"ARRRGH! No! No! My head! He has stabbed me through the head!" the Garundi man wails as Gaston pries his hands away from his forehead.

There, etched into the poor man's forehead, each hieroglyph carved into flesh as with a hot knife, is a word in the ancient Osirian tongue. Blood is still running from the open wound, and Jeware's entire body shakes from pain, fear, and shock.

------

Back down the stairs, everyone is moving back into the mirror chamber. The low tones of Kendrick's prayer reverberated soothingly, easing nerves and mending wounds all around him with its soothing words. Vezhar, initially wobbly and in need of aid to walk, finds himself feeling rejuvenated. The man in the mirror shows no regret for his actions to Jeware, however, as he looks at each of you, locking eyes with his iron, mirthless gaze.

Salera begins chanting, triggering the words to a minor cantrip which causes her eyes to begin to glow. Nothing appears to be out of place, in the altar room or the mirror room. The mirror, Salera sees, does radiate with faint magical energy. After studying it for a short time, she can see that it is in fact two faint auras overlapping one another.

The sounds of Jeware's weeping bleeds through the northern doorway.

http://i.imgur.com/NHYTj1w.png

Odentin
2014-06-17, 10:23 PM
"Son of a...How the hells did that happen? Look, come back down. Kendrick can fix you up..."

Gaston grits his teeth and tries to coax Jeware back down the hallways towards the others and calm him down at the same time. All the while, he curses his misfortune, and wonders just how much the hireling's unfortunate scarring is going to cost him...

LordHavelock
2014-06-18, 01:20 PM
Vezhar cringes at the sight of what has happened to Jeware and turns his attention now fully onto the mirrored image of Akhentepi, drawing his gladius once more. "Think you're pretty high and mighty don't you, cursing people from the afterlife in your magic mirror!" He says, gesticulating as she steps forward and gestures with the blade at the phantom. "And here we just cleaned some loathful pests out of your tomb! Even more loathful to you than us I'll warrant. How about a little gratitude."

Mathemagics
2014-06-18, 01:41 PM
"Actually I don't think the mirror has anything to do with the afterlife. I think it's just put here to mess with people."

The comment is made in an almost offhanded fashion, as if not really all that important, as Salera continues to stare at the mirror, ignoring its glaring occupant so much as possible. The elf is quite careful to not directly touch it, however. Only giving a quick glance towards Vezhar, she continues her explanation while going to lean against a convenient wall, apparently satisfied with her study of the object.

"I can sense both illusion and transmutation magic coming from it, but no necromancy. I think our mirror-ghost here is the imaginary type, and not the vengeful-haunt-you-the-rest-of-your-days type. Basically means you can't really threaten him since he isn't real hehe."

LordHavelock
2014-06-18, 01:53 PM
Vezhar looks from Salera to the mirror and back again, then sheathes his sword with a most disappointed look on his face. "Well it's certainly got the better of me. Would there be any harm in breaking the thing so as not to have that damn glare at us the whole time."

Narrowing his gaze he begins to look about the room for a particularly big rock or the like.

Mathemagics
2014-06-18, 02:04 PM
The elf shrugs her shoulders and scrunches up her face just a bit at the question. Tilting her head back and forth as if considering her answer for a moment, she eventually nods.

"Ya, it's probably alright I guess. I mean, the illusion half is almost definitely connected to making that image, but I'm not so sure about the transmutation part. If I had to guess, it's probably how it managed to actually hurt poor Jeware, but theoretically it could always do something like turn you into a chicken or worse too!"

The playful smile on her face as she finishes this latter comment momentarily turns into a frown, but only very slightly.

"Seems like a shame though. I mean it would be pretty neat if we could find a way to take this out with us, ya know? Having a fancy fake ghost in a mirror that curses people he doesn't like?"

LordHavelock
2014-06-18, 02:11 PM
Vezhar mused over that for a moment, then sheathed his sword and laughed. "I rather like that idea! What better souvenir of our journey than Akhentepi himself, to glower and curse anyone who doubts our courage!" He glances to the mirror once more, without touching it. "Perhaps though we can hang that tapestry over it for now though, the one by the altar, for some measure of relief."

Kyte
2014-06-18, 08:29 PM
Jun cringes at Jeware's forehead as he and Gaston join the rest of the group. "Here..." She pulls out a white cloth, ripping a strip of it off. "Don't worry, it's clean." She wraps it around his head, if he permits her, after taking a moment to look a little closer at it. "Better keep your head down, huh?" She gives a small, teasing smile, inappropriate as it is.

Hopefully that's not permanent scarring... poor guy. Its not everyday you get words carved on your face.

She listens to Salera and Vezhar as they talk over the mirror. She watches it herself, wondering what exactly happened. "Hmph, you want to lug that thing out of here?" She smiles, a little patronizing. "I think its attached to the wall."

Reading what it actually says on his forehead. Appraise on mirror: [roll0]

Logeg
2014-06-20, 06:44 AM
Kendrick patiently listens to the others talk, happy to hear the image in the mirror is most likely an illusion rather than a haunting. Of course there are ways to deal with haunted objects but that was not the easiest task out there. "Covering it with the tapestry might be a good idea for now, we can always see if we find a way to take it with us on our way out if we don't find something more suited." He suggests.

"But with Jun saying there is some sandman lurking behind the next door, it is best to keep our attention on that as well. How is everyone feeling?" He then asks, rather not having his friends going down again.

Odentin
2014-06-21, 12:54 PM
Gaston looks down at his dented and bloodstained armor with a frown. He removes his glove and reaches under the armor to check on his wounds, which only causes his frown to deepen, "Jeware is hurt, obviously, and I'm still not doing so hot. I can go on, but another hit or two might end me..."

LordHavelock
2014-06-21, 01:19 PM
Vezhar is about to respond with his usual enthusiasm, but pauses to dwell on the continuing ache from the sizable wounds he suffered and the draining feeling it causes him. He is standing, but it would not take much to topple him, despite his bravado, and to say otherwise could get himself and others killed. "I believe we should press on, but cannot say much for my own ability to act as I did in our previous engagement. My wounds are still too fresh to risk another mauling at the hands of whatever else is down here, or some trap, or this mysterious figure." He says, then nods to Jun, "If we exercise a bit more caution-", Vezhar is forced to pause a moment, hearing the words come out of his own mouth, "We might take advantage of our friend's most potent weapon here, at a range, as well as turn any traps we find against our foes. Which way did you say you saw them Jun?"

Kyte
2014-06-21, 09:16 PM
Jun looks from Vezhar to the others. "What, you want me to shoot him?" She raises a brow and half-smiles at the same time. "Its not them. Its just one sand man... that I saw anyway." She points to the west. "He was down the stairs, leaning against the wall... just hanging out I guess." She ponders a moment. "Maybe we could... I don't know, throw some water on him?"

Logeg
2014-06-22, 03:18 PM
Kendrick grins. "If it is water we want, I am sure I can find a few gallons of it. Let's hope it is indeed just one, unless someone wants to try to reason with it? This might be one creature here that somewhat can be talked with perhaps, or it could just be a mindless summoning of sorts." He then suggests, but without having seen the creature it is hard to make a call on its intellect and intentions.

LordHavelock
2014-06-24, 11:15 AM
"Let us proceed then with caution," Vezhar says aloud, taking the lead once more and moving to the far side of the chamber where Jun had reported seeing the figure. After a moment's thought, he turns back towards the other Raider's assembled and gestures to their very own cleric and speaks once more, "Perhaps, you would not mind taking the lead this time Kendrick? With Jun beside or behind you it will allow Gaston and I some some time to recover and still make headway."

Logeg
2014-06-26, 05:07 PM
"No problem, Gaston looks like he can use some distance from the first blow." Kendrick speaks with a smile and then looks at Jeware. The hired help still looks quite pale from his encounter with the mirror, most likely more from freaking out than from actual damage. "Let me ask the Everlight for one more blessing so that Gaston and Jeware will feel more confident with times to come." He then decides, not wanting Jeware to run off when things become dangerous.

Channel Energy everyone 30 ft: [roll0]

Odentin
2014-06-26, 05:20 PM
Gaston closes his eyes and inhales as the golden light washes over him, healing his wounds and even removing that lingering ache from the fall earlier. When he opens his eyes again (accompanied by a satisfied sigh), they're wide and eager, carrying that enthusiastic spark he's so known for.

His trademark grin spreads over his face, and he steps toward the door, "Shall we, then?"

Askel
2014-06-29, 03:32 PM
Jeware gasps as the healing magic knits the flesh of his forehead, stemming the blood and relieving the pain. Before your eyes, the flesh scars over, turning to darker brown markings. Unfortunately, the brand appears permanent, the ancient Osirian glyphs firmly etched into his flesh. He breaths heavily, pressing both hands to his head for a moment before turning in wonder to Kendrick.

"Truly, you are a worker of miracles, my friend," he says, falling to his knees, "I thought... I thought I was dying..."

Jeware laughs, the adrenaline still making his hands quake.

"I will let you do the touching from now on, yes?" he asks, taking several steps back away from the mirror.

Opening the western doors completely, a stream of dust is released from the ceiling to rain down on the slight downward-sloping steps descending to the engraved stone doors. A golden scarab, its wings open beneath a golden sun, straddles the crack of the two doors. Earth and sand from the mess of burrowed tunnels along the southern wall, or at least what's left of it, has spilled onto the stairs, forming a small mound of rubble and sand right in the middle of the stairs.

There is movement within the sand, as though a large earthen man lurks, buried, within. Its movements are subtle, though, making pinpointing an exact location tricky. It has moved and shifted a bit since Jun last spotted it.

http://i.imgur.com/LbUji0v.png

Odentin
2014-06-29, 04:08 PM

Gaston begins to descend the stairs, keeping a sharp eye out for any kind of movement in the southern wall or elsewhere. As he steps, he calls out to any intelligent creature in the area, "Hello? Anyone in here? We mean you no harm..."

Logeg
2014-06-30, 09:43 AM

No matter the words of Gaston, Kendrick holds his shield firmly ready to defend himself from an attack but for now his scimitar is lowered. He does his best to look around in hopes to see the creature Jun mentioned. Hopefully reasoning with it will be possible, fighting is not always the answer after all and it is very well possible the sand creature is here to defend against grave robbers while the group was here for more legal reasons. Not that Kendrick really knew much about the reasoning behind this whole adventure.

Mathemagics
2014-06-30, 09:58 AM
"Well what's the worst that can happen. I mean after that whole nearly dying to scorpions thing, a hallway with a possible sandman lurking in it doesn't sound that bad!"

The elf leans forward, peering down the length of the hall. She frowns a moment later, apparently disappointed.

"Hey Jun, you sure there's something in there? Maybe it was just a fit of paranoid delusion!"

She says this jokingly, clearly not really meaning anything by it.

[roll0]