PDA

View Full Version : Otto's resistable dance

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-15, 08:32 AM
Applies a few penalties. Does the dance force them to stay in place? Are there action restrictions for them?

If not, is this only good because of the minor debuff over a large AoE???

Agincourt
2014-04-15, 08:50 AM
Applies a few penalties. Does the dance force them to stay in place? Are there action restrictions for them?

If not, is this only good because of the minor debuff over a large AoE???

Are you talking about the 3.0 spell or the spell in the PHB Otto's Irresistible Dance? I assume it's the former, but if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

I am not aware that people do consider it a good spell. I do not recall anyone recommending it ever. It seems like it could have its uses, but I would not waste a precious known spell on it if I were playing a bard. There are just some spells that are underpowered. I don't think character's are required to dance in place. The spell does not mention any action restrictions so I would not impose any. Characters who fail their save just suffer the penalties specifically enumerated.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-15, 09:03 AM
Are you talking about the 3.0 spell or the spell in the PHB Otto's Irresistible Dance? I assume it's the former, but if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

I am not aware that people do consider it a good spell. I do not recall anyone recommending it ever. It seems like it could have its uses, but I would not waste a precious known spell on it if I were playing a bard. There are just some spells that are underpowered. I don't think character's are required to dance in place. The spell does not mention any action restrictions so I would not impose any. Characters who fail their save just suffer the penalties specifically enumerated.

Sorry I was reading song and silence. Thank you for getting me back on track! :)

Urpriest
2014-04-15, 09:07 AM
There's also Otto's Resistive Dance, which gives you Electricity Resistance, and Otto's Resistance Dance, which bolsters those of chaotic alignment.

Eldan
2014-04-15, 09:43 AM
And Otto's Restive Dance, which provides a night's sleep.

ericgrau
2014-04-15, 10:21 AM
Ah song and silence. Ya it looks pretty unimpressive. Its biggest draw seems to be that it hits multiple targets. But a low penalty, save negates and duration concentration make it look pretty much useless. Blowing your turn to give everyone else a -1 on average on a few things for only that turn? No thanks.

I'd much rather cast bless to give allies a +1 to hit for multiple rounds without concentrating and that's level 1.

I wonder if perhaps they meant that you can't do other actions besides dancing around and it was poorly worded. That might make it ok. Not superb because of the save and concentration required, but ok.