PDA

View Full Version : DM Help large creature grappling in smaller space

tim01300
2014-04-15, 10:54 AM
Quick question about grappling. If one of my players changes into a dire snake which is a large creature, but has a coiled space of 5 feet by 10 feet, can he grapple in a small area, like a feet foot wide hallway?

I thought a large creature shares the space with what its grappling so it won't fit to be able to do so, but wanted to check before I told him no.

Thanks for any help

Yanisa
2014-04-15, 01:37 PM
Dire Snake? I dunno about Dire Snakes but any large snake would take up 2 by 2 squares, or 10 by 10 feet. That means when a large snakes enters a 5 feet hall way, we get in the squeezing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#squeezing) rules.

Squeezing has the following clause:

A creature can squeeze past an opponent while moving but it can’t end its movement in an occupied square.

Grappling says:

If you can’t move into your target’s space, you can’t maintain the grapple and must immediately let go of the target.

So no grappling when you don't got the room for it.

TuggyNE
2014-04-16, 02:39 AM
Grappling says:
If you can’t move into your target’s space, you can’t maintain the grapple and must immediately let go of the target.

That doesn't apply here, since the rule in squeezing is just a restatement of similar rules in normal movement.
You can’t end your movement in the same square as another creature unless it is helpless.

However, the penalty to attack rolls and AC would still apply within the grapple, arguably landing a -4 on your grapple checks (due to the close similarity between them and regular attack rolls).