PDA

View Full Version : [Empire!] Jostleing the Hive

TheWombatOfDoom
2014-04-15, 12:48 PM
First, I'd like to ask you Morph - what do I learn of Salterri Customs from the people within Requiem? How do the Salterri run the Government with this protectorate? Who is the leader so I can write the letter to them? Do the Salterri have a hand picked ruler of the protectorate, even if they aren't directly involved in its governing?

The Salterri have likely never had experience with my nation, especially since the war had their troops annialated, and I was just 2000 in a large mass. I wasn't at the conference in the Cenral Sea. I'm treating my quiet change of hand in the Government of 61 to be just a reclaimation without wanting to stir up the pot. Requiem still is a Protectorate of the Salterri in spirit, and will still honor their trade agreements. They just have the original people ruling it once more.

A letter arrives to the ruling denizens of the Salterri Empire. It's scripted in fine script, and written in blue ink.

It reads:

Morph Bark
2014-04-16, 08:57 AM
The Salterri have always played it pretty loose and friendly with their protectorates, so they seem okay with it. There are some malcontents that occasionally try to rile things up, but the Salterri keep it under check as their military functions as a kind of police as well, in addition to sanctioned natives (and all judges in the region also appear to be native). The nomadic orcs seem most pleased with it, as they're largely left alone and allowed to enter the ranks of the army. They are not happy with having lost a thousand of their sons and fathers and brothers in the war.

The leader of Requiem is Petty King Varus the Centaur. The current leader of the Salterri is Qzare Xiu Hanyeo, the stricter brother of Wandao, who was seen as a moderate, and loved by the people in Requiem.

What do you mean by having it still be a protectorate "in spirit"? :smallconfused:

TheWombatOfDoom
2014-04-16, 09:25 AM
The way I see it, the way I was able to claim Requiem is that the people have been acting as regents, awaiting the return of their relatives (me). Can they tell me what happened to the Kells? When and how the Salterri came into play? Are they the Kells, for that matter? :smallbiggrin: Basically, trying to find the bridge in the gap to my history (since that failed with Wandao) with the people it pertains to. What does Requiem's history say.

Is Varus actually a centaur? :smallconfused:

I don't wish to make changes to the current agreement that Requiem has with the Salterri, I'm just taking on control of the nation. So I'll keep sending them resources, and see to the people there. Or at least that's the theory. If people are happy, I'd like to keep them that way. Can two rulers "share" a protectorate? I know that the protectorate agreement does not limit Requiem from making their own diplomatic decisions, only militarily, so I wanted to see if it was possible to maintain the trade agreements with the Salterri while having Requiem be a part of Lyradis, mechanically. If so, that's my attempt.

Morph Bark
2014-04-16, 10:07 AM
Well, since that happened over 200 years ago, I figured they would've stopped waiting, unless the Lyradisians consider themselves the Chosen People that strongly adhere to a view of needing to be together for their higher purpose as was the case with at least one real life peoples.

The Kells disappeared about a century ago after the regions of Old Lyradis had already fractured, defeated and conquered swiftly by a much smaller group that originated from the edge of the Discordian mountains on the outskirts of what used to be the Great Kingdom of Lyradis. Sources are unclear on whether these people are actually the ones who became the Salterri, but it is certainly not unlikely by the looks of it.

The Salterri Imperium has the agreement that all their protectorates send at least one stack of each resource to them and receive back a resource if it is a necessity for them and they have it. With you taking over, it can no longer be a protectorate of the Imperium, though you could keep sending the resources. They might rescind the sending of the necessity or they might not. Two rulers cannot share a protectorate, it is only ever one's own.

Also, Wandao only failed to answer further questions because people were talking about chopping his head off. :smalltongue:

TheWombatOfDoom
2014-04-16, 10:36 AM
Well, since that happened over 200 years ago, I figured they would've stopped waiting, unless the Lyradisians consider themselves the Chosen People that strongly adhere to a view of needing to be together for their higher purpose as was the case with at least one real life peoples.

The Kells disappeared about a century ago after the regions of Old Lyradis had already fractured, defeated and conquered swiftly by a much smaller group that originated from the edge of the Discordian mountains on the outskirts of what used to be the Great Kingdom of Lyradis. Sources are unclear on whether these people are actually the ones who became the Salterri, but it is certainly not unlikely by the looks of it.

The Salterri Imperium has the agreement that all their protectorates send at least one stack of each resource to them and receive back a resource if it is a necessity for them and they have it. With you taking over, it can no longer be a protectorate of the Imperium, though you could keep sending the resources. They might rescind the sending of the necessity or they might not. Two rulers cannot share a protectorate, it is only ever one's own.

Also, Wandao only failed to answer further questions because people were talking about chopping his head off. :smalltongue:

I've always taken it (and the fact that I still have claim to those regions) that the Lyradissians don't forget. They remember what they once were, and know that their people are out there, and the injustice that occured at the fracture. Just as the Serendel's have remembered and have been trying to return with the other half of their people. Uniting the people and having Lyradis' return is what each people have longed for, feeling an injustice from the conquoring by the Kells. The Salterri they've likely been happy with, as they've been left alone, and may have been the people who drove off the Kells. But with the reuniting of the peoples, there is going to be a lot of happiness. Lyradis will be very open about their past just as those of Requiem are with theirs. Lyradis no longer has as much beef with the Salterri, now that they know they aren't the Kells, so they no longer wish to invade. Instead, a diplomatic method is desired. Hense an invitation.

I basically see Lyradis claiming Requiem as them reuniting, and stepping up to the leadership and them differing. They see themselves as the chosen people for these homelands, and reuniting a lost and fractured people is and likely has since the fracture been their goal. At least it's that way in Requiem. Obviously, I'll have to discuss with 62 what happened there, and what their view is on this. Initial stuff has been not as friendly with the Saltiere, and the Salterri as a whole, at least more recently. 63 obviously is now part of the Empire. That one I won't be publically pursuing right away. Basically, Requiem for now is enough, as Old Lyradissians are likely more plentiful here than in 63 currently, and possibly more populated in 64 as well, while 63 and 62 have them as a minority.

I'll be sending one stack of each resource still, and will try and see if there is anything in return. Them accepting me as a presence without attacking or being unfriendly will be a gift enough, I'd say.

And yeah, I kind of gave up on trying, and instead tried to get people to stop openly bickering among each other about Wandao. Shakes head. What a disaster. Alright, I think I have enough to write the letter. I'll work on that. Feel free to respond on this, however, and I can adjust as needed.

Morph Bark
2014-04-16, 02:44 PM
I figure if the people from New Lyradis were 50% of the Lyradissians in Old Lyradis, Old Lyradis prolly had a lot of other peoples in there as well, accounting for why they might only be in 61, with 61 perhaps even being the home region of the original Lyradissian Kingdom. Especially when accounting for population growth over time, even taking into account region 13 originally having other natives that the Lyradissian exiles mixed with.

Working something out with Aedilred (possibly others in that general area too, if needed) is definitely a good idea. He prolly has some ideas on the subject of history as well, since he's worked out his own country there.

TheWombatOfDoom
2014-04-16, 02:45 PM
I figure if the people from New Lyradis were 50% of the Lyradissians in Old Lyradis, Old Lyradis prolly had a lot of other peoples in there as well, accounting for why they might only be in 61, with 61 perhaps even being the home region of the original Lyradissian Kingdom. Especially when accounting for population growth over time, even taking into account region 13 originally having other natives that the Lyradissian exiles mixed with.

Working something out with Aedilred (possibly others in that general area too, if needed) is definitely a good idea. He prolly has some ideas on the subject of history as well, since he's worked out his own country there.

Region 63, the Crest, is Old Lyradis' capital region. Though since this region houses Lyradis' classic resources, I suppose it could work that way as well.

Morph Bark
2014-04-17, 08:20 AM
I just figured as soon as Discordia became part of the kingdom the capital moved there since it was more central and much more easily defended. Practical and such. :smalltongue:

(Though I might be pushing a bit too much on account of wanting to leave it vague as to whether or not the Salterri came from Discordia originally.)

TheWombatOfDoom
2014-04-17, 08:26 AM
I just figured as soon as Discordia became part of the kingdom the capital moved there since it was more central and much more easily defended. Practical and such. :smalltongue:

(Though I might be pushing a bit too much on account of wanting to leave it vague as to whether or not the Salterri came from Discordia originally.)

The capital is closer to the border with 61, so that would make sense. It's what I did in Conquest, so that works out. I like it. I'm glad you liked my idea for the mountains. :smallwink: I thought it was a sweet name.

Anyway, I'm discussing a lot with Rizban's character, who is revealing quite a lot about what's been going on on the Salterri side of things. Lyra is horrified...

TheWombatOfDoom
2014-04-17, 12:03 PM
To the esteemed ruler of the Salterri Imperium, Qzare Xiu Hanyeo -

Greetings. I am Lady Lyra of the Kingdom of Serendel, and I send this messenger as an account of my actions in the recent past regarding the region of Requiem. From what I understand, Requiem was a protectorate of the Salterri, and I write to account for my people. I am not sure of your knowledge of history, and whether the name Lyradis rings with any familiarity in your Empire. The Kingdom of Lyradis was founded in Requiem, and stretched to out to Discordia, Jarrland, and the coastal region south of the Jarrs, some 240 years ago. Lyradis was prosperous, and thrived in a golden age for almost a century when the Kingdom of Kell invaded, and eventually drove most of my people from their homeland. We were scattered people for some time, but the people of Lyradis did not forget. Those that were able to stay in custody of the Kells remainded in Requiem. They remembered what they once were, and knew that their people were out there, and the injustice that occured at the fracture.

I am the answer to their silent prayers. Those that fled these southern lands with my ancestors named our Northern region after the kingdom we once were. We named the mountains "Dis" in memory of the Discord Range, and the ocean "Lyrian" in memory of the Sea of Lyr to the south of Jarrland. Uniting my people and having Lyradis' return is what each side has longed for, feeling an injustice from the conquoring by the Kells.

From the way I understand it, there is the possibility that your people drove the Kells out, and freed my people. For that we are in your gratitude. I speak as a nation when I say I mean you no harm. At first, I thought the Salterri were relatives of the Kells, but as I have discovered this was not true, I no longer wish to intrude further into your lands than Requiem. When we arrived there, and met with Petty King Varus and they immediately recognized that this was a reunion, and that their leader had returned.

As such, it seems that we are in a awkward juncture. I do not wish to go to war with the Salterri, but I also do not wish to leave what once was ours now that we have finally returned. If you notice, I have not shown any force with returning to Requiem. At this time, I invite you to come to the Ruins of my people's original capital located on the borders of Requiem and Discord, and we can treat and try and come to an amicable solution. I am willing to give much to remain in Requiem, and beg you forgiveness for any disrespect we have caused by how this came to be. It would be with great honor to meet the slayers of mine enemies.

-Respectfully,

Lady Lyra of Lyradis.

Morph Bark
2014-04-21, 05:41 AM
Hail to you, Lady Lyra of Lyradis,

The Salterri have a saying: speak less so you may do more. As such, I shall keep this short.

I am no historian. Our prophet of old took to the mountains of Discordia and united the people, conquering a new empire between the mountains and the sea. It is possible this Kell of which you speak was among the conquered.

If the people of Requiem continue to send the tribute we have asked of them all this time, we shall have no quarrel between us and beyond said tribute we may even trade. If this is agreeable to you, I shall meet you at Ruin's Watch in five months time, which stands tall over this city of old.

May your horizon be a line of silver.

Qzare Xiu Hanyeo

Our Lady's Turn 943

TheWombatOfDoom
2014-04-21, 12:17 PM
Did this come in round 11 or round 12? :smallconfused: