PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 3.P Half-Vampire Monk

Vhaidara
2014-04-15, 03:22 PM
So, we have a new player joining the group, and the character he wanted to play is a kung-fu vampire. Quick note: ToB is not allowed, and we use PF skills (Search separated from Perception).

I talked him down to Half Vampire from Libris Mortis (+2 LA that he can buy off vs +8 LA), and we have some monk tweaks in place (spoilered later, stolen from Grod_The_Giant), so it isn't quite as bad as it might sound. He also wants an ice-theme, so I was thinking he could take Freeze the Lifeblood.

Full BAB
Flurry of Blows may be used with any standard or full attack, or replaced with Skirmish (as the scout)
May use Wisdom in place of Strength for attack and damage rolls with unarmed strikes and special monk weapons, and when attempting combat maneuvers, starting at first level.
Slow Fall negates all falling damage-- at level 4, as long as you are within arm's reach of a wall; at level 8, as long as you are within arm's reach of a wall or make a Tumble check with a DC equal to half the fall distance; and at level 14 you never take falling damage as long as you are not helpless.
You can allow any spell you want to bypass the SR from Diamond Soul, which is also boosted to 15+level.
Abundant Step is useable every (10-Wis Mod, min 1) rounds.
Quivering Palm may be used Wisdom Modifier times per day, as a standard action, but targets who save can't be targeted again for 24 hours. It affects Constructs and Undead. It's a touch attack that inflicts full damage as well as the death effect. You must declare the time delay before death at the time you make the attack.
Empty Body may be used for 1 minute/level/day, distributed however you wish.
Perfect Self grants DR 10/chaos, a +4 perfection bonus to all abilities, and turns you into an Outsider (native), allowing you to still be raised from the dead.

What other feats are a good decision? I'm helping him make the character before the session tonight, and wanted to see if there were any ideas. I don't know which half vamp trait he'll take.

The group is relatively unoptimized. We are

Warforged Fighter (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=690520): Me. I traded my armor proficiencies for Skirmish and Fast movement (as scout), and my weapon proficiencies to be able to treat my hand crossbow (literal, as some may recall) and slashing-rapier as a focused pair for feats like Weapon Focus. I also have an expanded skill list and 6+Int skill points.

A Shifter Barbarian going into Frenzied Berserker. He's mixing the prereqs for FB in with Shifter feats. He is not taking Shock Trooper (gives you a gauge of optimization)

A Sorcerer: Fear Caster. Grabbing some other utility, but currently level 6 with second level spells (went into Dread Witch at 5)

A mundane Factotum: traded spellcasting for Warblade class features that are not maneuvers.

JeminiZero
2014-04-15, 07:46 PM
Vampire Monk? Is he taking inspiration from NWN2 MoTB?

Since you are using 3.P, I would suggest that instead of using the Half-Vampire template, you mght try the Dhampir (www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-dhampir) race of PF.

Yogibear41
2014-04-15, 10:26 PM
I personally would rather have the half-vampire and just buy it off, but that's just me, especially if they are already at level 6, then he has basically already reduced it to +1. Not really sure how your game works, but in the games I have played in we generally let the wish spell do pretty ridiculous things (mostly because the players have never lived to reach that high of a level, but have found other ways to get wishes granted) I would say maybe he could wish for the full vampire template (LA free of course) minus the glaring weaknesses once he reaches a high level, would give his character something to work toward, or at the vary least some sort of upgrade.

Additionally there is the Vampire Savage Progression option, starting with say only the 1st level of if buy the +1 off at level 3, take the next level but it off at level 6, and so on buying off 1 LA worth of the class every 3 levels until he had the entire template and it fully bought of at level 24, could represent him slowly changing from a half-vampire into a full one, being that you are starting at level 6 he could essentially start at 5th level with 2 levels of the class bout off already (I think the XP would work out that way) which could more or less be equated to a half-vampire.

Also your warforged character sheet is not showing up for me.

Vhaidara
2014-04-15, 10:45 PM
Well, we built him, and he seems happy with it. I was unaware, but it turns out his stat rolls were insane (17, 16, 14, 14, 14, 13).

Also, derp, of course the warforged doesn't work. I forgot that when I made backups of my live game characters I marked them private.

Rubik
2014-04-15, 10:52 PM
Show him all the items that stack for giving special effects on unarmed strikes. (See here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15474863#post15474863).) And make sure he knows about the rule in Savage Species that says that any weapon can be made to be usable with additional hands for no extra cost, so long as the item is masterwork (see: gauntlet turned to a 1-handed weapon [which would then be automatically usable 2-handed, if desired]). Also, as a note, gauntlets are considered "unarmed strikes," and so use the monk's unarmed strike progression, which most people miss. As gauntlets can be enhanced as normal weapons...

Well, let's just say that monks have a lot higher of an equipment optimization ceiling than most people realize.