PDA

View Full Version : Optimization How do I deal with SR as a Warlock?

RPGaddict28
2014-04-15, 06:01 PM
I need a way to deal with enemies SR when I'm using Eldritch Blasts. I'm at level 7, and the only two options I've thought of are boosting my CL and trying to use some shenanigans to get Vitrolic Blast early. Does anyone know some good ways to do either?

Vaz
2014-04-15, 06:11 PM
Charm to get something big hit it?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-04-15, 06:16 PM
SR usually won't be so high that you need to roll higher than a 10 to beat it as a full caster, especially at your level. Even when it becomes a problem, Tanglefoot Bags and similar are still useful.

Silva Stormrage
2014-04-15, 06:18 PM
Arcane Mastery is one option if you really find yourself facing a lot of SR this low level. Being able to take 10 means you can ignore a lot of the lower SR opponents that you will fight.

nedz
2014-04-15, 09:09 PM
I'm surprised that you are meeting lots of SR at level 7 ?

Normally I'd not worry about SR until you can grab VB later.

I don't think it's worth making a huge investment on, what you really need are more options.

Jack_Simth
2014-04-15, 09:19 PM
I need a way to deal with enemies SR when I'm using Eldritch Blasts. I'm at level 7, and the only two options I've thought of are boosting my CL and trying to use some shenanigans to get Vitrolic Blast early. Does anyone know some good ways to do either?
Spell Penetration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#spellPenetration) and it's big brother (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#greaterSpellPenetration) have no requirements you can't meet. Tack on the aforementioned Arcane Mastery and you're good for everything CR appropriate short of a golem.

Alternately, Summon Swarm is a least invocation. Sure, the damage isn't much, but it does do the job.

VoxRationis
2014-04-15, 09:23 PM
Summon Swarm is a terrifying invocation. It's not necessarily good against, say, wizards or dragons (though a lot of GitP wizards would be hurt by their reticence to prepare AoE spells...), but a single 1st-level warlock with good guerilla tactics can wipe out whole towns with it.

Erik Vale
2014-04-15, 09:31 PM
A commoner can wipe out a whole town at level 1 with good tactics.

If your regularly fighting enemies of a consistent type with SR, you could try Baneful [or whatever it is] Blast, there is also a blast that lowers SR by 5. However do be prepared to try and retrain it out at the soonest opportunity and pick up vitriolic blast... Then proceed to be annoyed when everything becomes acid-immune.

Snowbluff
2014-04-15, 09:47 PM
What? Are you not a WARLOCK? Who may take 10 on a UMD check? Grab a wand, man. True Casting or and Orb/Lesser Orb.

gorfnab
2014-04-15, 11:02 PM
Penetrating Blast (DM) and Vitriolic Blast will get around the SR issue, however both are Greater Eldritch Essences.

Zilzmaer
2014-04-15, 11:23 PM
While it's true that SR won't normally be much of a problem, I tend to be a little leery of it ever since I participated in a campaign that turned out to feature ilithid as the main antagonists. SR25 at CR8 means you have to roll 17 without Spell Penetration. Due to lack of allowed splats and poor spell choices, I had an awful lot of wasted turns before I eventually died to an ulitharid with Mage Slayer and Pierce Magical Concealment.

So basically just saying that you should never count on not running into SR higher than EL+10.