PDA

View Full Version : new at dming 3.5

Cigam3679
2014-04-15, 06:26 PM
I am use to running 4th edition games, where i can find creatures to fight easier. Main thing i would like to ask of ye, can someone please post a low level human bandit kind of creature. I have gone through all the 3.5 monster manuals and i cannot find Human.

NecessaryWeevil
2014-04-15, 07:07 PM
I have neither book in front of me, but I think you can find sample, generic NPCs of a given core class in the Dungeon Master's Guide. Pick a Warrior, a Fighter, a Rogue or something and you should be good to go.

lunar2
2014-04-15, 07:22 PM
the DMG has sample NPCs for various classes at 5th and 15th level, iirc. other books may have a few more sample NPCs. but most NPCs you have to build yourself. for generic NPCs though, like random bandits, you can just fudge the numbers, though. one suggestion i remember from somewhere is not even bothering to pick feats for them, instead giving them +1 attack and damage per feat they should have. it's bland, and nowhere near optimal, but it's easy, and helps give that minion feel from 4th. also, you could consider giving them minimum HP per HD, and giving them evasion and mettle. again, you can throw a wave of minion mooks at your PCs that go down fast, are easy to run, but are still able to support the more important NPC or monster that is central to the fight.

Sir Chuckles
2014-04-15, 07:30 PM
The biggest difference between the 3.5 and 4.0 Monster Manuals is the way the creatures are built. 3.5 has explicit ground rules for creatures, most of which also apply to building characters.

Unless it's a named NPC or set of generics from a setting/module, you're not going to find a clear stat block for "Human: Bandit Minion".
For such instances, it's just like making a character. Use something like Mythweavers to save paper.

Start with a human, and then tack on whatever levels you think are appropriate to the situation. Use an NPC Generator (http://www.myth-weavers.com/generate_npc.php?) if you have to.

Cigam3679
2014-04-15, 07:55 PM
Cool. Thank you all, i now have an idea as to what to do. Now to cause massive mayhem to my players who just want to go down the street lol

commander panda
2014-04-15, 07:55 PM
i dont know if someone else already said this, but there is basic stat info for the different core classes by level in the DMG. you can start there and build them yourself, or use the npc generator.