PDA

View Full Version : Dry Lich verses Worm that Walks

DementedFellow
2014-04-15, 06:30 PM
Let's assume equal optimization or even equal builds as there are some shenanigans that would allow a build to go in either direction.

Who would come out on top? The Dry Lich would typically have a few salt mummies and at least one sand golem to contend with. The Worm that Walks would have some vermin to help out.

Which is the stronger capstone?

CIDE
2014-04-15, 06:43 PM
I can't answer your question since I never really looked into the worm that walks (eh...no interest) but the idea of this particular match up would be amazing to see in a game. Like two NPC's (one or both BBEG's) going at each other.

Aharon
2014-04-15, 06:54 PM
Let's assume equal optimization or even equal builds as there are some shenanigans that would allow a build to go in either direction.

Who would come out on top? The Dry Lich would typically have a few salt mummies and at least one sand golem to contend with. The Worm that Walks would have some vermin to help out.

Which is the stronger capstone?

I think this depends a lot on how you enter the dry lich and wether you plan on continuing play. Dry Lich may or may not come with LA, while Worm that walks doesn't. Dry Lich has better survivability via several phylacteries, but can be taken out more easily by undead-specific attacks - less of those exist for abberations. The discorporate ability theoretically works the same way, but is subject to DM fiat ("no, all your maggots were destroyed, sorry.") Worm that walks is attainable earlier if you burn your wealth on consumables to get the requirements (partially charged wand of mnemonic enhancer to up your chance, rest on the other requirements). The large numerical bonuses of WtW are nice, but so are fast healing and DR. Overall, I think I would go with WtW, since its ressurection method is less obvious - unless the opponents specifically researched Worms that Walk, they might assume they have defeated you when you discorporate. Liches and their phylacteries strike me asmore common knowledge.

Vedhin
2014-04-15, 06:59 PM
Dry Lich, because a Worm That Walks must spend a free action to discorporate. If you take it down in one shot, it stays down.

Vaz
2014-04-15, 07:09 PM
I think this depends a lot on how you enter the dry lich and wether you plan on continuing play. Dry Lich may or may not come with LA, while Worm that walks doesn't.
LA only has an affect on Player Characters. You discount LA, so assuming two equal levelled BBEG's.

Worm that walks isn't a very powerful template. +20 Insight to AC is cancelled out by TrueStrike or attacks which don't roll to hit. The 1/day abilities are pretty terrible, 300ft Blindsight is pretty cool, but Darkstalker cancels this out (Darkstalker Dry Lich is a brilliant opponent to spring on those entering a tomb). Spell Resistance is more of a hindrance, a Dry Lich is undead, course it's immune to fear. Discorporate has no effect on the enemies turn.

Aharon
2014-04-16, 05:48 AM
LA only has an affect on Player Characters. You discount LA, so assuming two equal levelled BBEG's.

Worm that walks isn't a very powerful template. +20 Insight to AC is cancelled out by TrueStrike or attacks which don't roll to hit. The 1/day abilities are pretty terrible, 300ft Blindsight is pretty cool, but Darkstalker cancels this out (Darkstalker Dry Lich is a brilliant opponent to spring on those entering a tomb). Spell Resistance is more of a hindrance, a Dry Lich is undead, course it's immune to fear. Discorporate has no effect on the enemies turn.

I think the assumption of "equally levelled" is wrong here. You can access Worm that Walks earlier, when AC still matters. Also, it's an insight bonus, so it aids touch attack. Know any casters that routinely use True Strike to hit with their RTAs? For attacks that don't rely on attack roles, SR usually helps some. Many SR:no spells are RTA (Orb lines, for example).

The free action isn't a problem since you can use lesser celerity and then use your free action during the move action gained via lesser celerity (obviously assuming wizard entry here).

And nice that you mention Darkstalker, since the Worm can be pretty sneaky himself - he also gains a +20 insight bonus on hide and move silently.