PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PF: Help with barbarian/sorcerer-word caster/Sangromancer

killer_monk
2014-04-15, 09:28 PM
Okay, so I'm a DM trying to set up a new NPC (and PC when I switch off DMing to another player). I just want to check and see what you all have to say about this build.

Houserules you should be aware of:

It's a to-be epic level campaign. No cap on levels, so let the optimization begin!

We have items that, through completing dangerous over leveled boss rooms, will earn you an extra Feat. We currently have two extra feats from this. It was mostly implemented because we're only a group of 4.

Word casting doesn't have an arcane Failure rate, in an attempt to make it a bit of a better option. (and it still almost isn't worth it.)

You can create your own spells by rolling a spell craft DC equal to 10 + 2x spell level. Cantrips count as 1st level in this regard.

Other than that you should know that pretty much everyone has stupid huge stats. We're talking an average of 16 before level and racial bonuses. My character is about average, if not a little under.

Okay, I'm going to go ahead and list party Comp, because I'm sure someone will request it, and it may influence my build.

We have a human fighter 11.

We have a monk of the four winds 11.

We have a sylph rogue 10 (hasn't selected a PrC yet.)

If you can't tell, we just reached level 11 last game. We also don't have any casters or healers, so the crew got destroyed by almost everything they fought. In the fights a had to end up sacrificing an NPC to save the group, which is why I'm now here.

I'm wanting to build a human Barbarian 9/sorcerer-word caster 1/Sangromancer 1. I'll be the only non PrC multiclass player in the party. So its time to take advantage of that. I'm here to make sure I'm getting the most bang for my buck, as I've never played either a barbarian nor a sorcerer. I usually get stuck playing a multiclass wizard or cleric, and I tend to be UP or overshadowed since multiclassing is usually only good for a few levels. So I'm hoping to hit back with this build, while flexing my proverbial muscle.

Strength: 20
Dexterity: 16
Constitution: 17
Charisma: 18
Intelligence: 14
Wisdom: 12

(this is after racial and level bonuses.)

Dragon totem line barbarian 9.

Sanguine Sorcerer-word caster 1.

Sangromancer 1.

I plan on nabbing mithril steel lamellar. Maybe dual longsword and a nodachi. That's all that I've got so far.

Any ideas for feats aside from power attack, combat expertise and combat reflexes? Is TWF worth? Is Item creation worth? Is taking an exotic to get duel pistols okay? What about what words of power to take aside from the Undead creation ones?

Also any ideas for blood themed Words?

We can pick 3 magic items of our choice that are CL12 lower. I was thinking boots of Striding and Springing, but not sure beyond that.

Also, I have to have endurance, toughness and great fortitude for Sangromancer.

To reiterate a bit, I'm going for a half civilized barbarian who can buff himself (and equally importantly the rest of the party) and raise the occasional undead army. He needs to be a viable NPC while I'm not really playing him, but able to turn into a brutal PC when I am.

Still, the stronger the better. I'm trying to teach the two newer players about battlefield tactics (they don't even get flanking, much the less why the wizard they fought wouldn't stop using fireballs or levitate.) so being able to demonstrate these tactics while a PC would be great. I'm trying to build a powerful character while not taking away the fun from other players. I like damage, and we need it simply because the current players would rather take a round to heal themselves compared to just killing the BBEG.

This NPC's/PC's personality isn't angry, more like he just likes blood a little too much. His rage is going to be played off as more of a blood frenzy than a hulk rage. For errata, his grandfather was a Dhampir Magus/Bard/Wizard I played awhile back. Not sure if that's relevant, but there ya go.

Anyways, just tell me what you all think. And ask any questions you may have and I'll try to get back to them soon.

grarrrg
2014-04-15, 09:49 PM
We have a human fighter 10/ stalwart defender 1

We have a monk of the four winds 10 (hasn't selected PrC yet.)

We have a sylph rogue 10 (hasn't selected a PrC yet.)

If you can't tell, we just reached level 10 last game....I'm wanting to build a human Barbarian 9/sorcerer-word caster 4/Sangromancer 5. The amount of XP we have covers this build, and I'll be the only multiclass player in the party.

Given the odd PrC thing going on, it may be a houserule, but that's not how Multi-classing EXP works.

A Barbarian 9/Sorcerer 4 is still a 13th level character.
The "Exp to next level" amounts apply for ALL classes, not each individual class.

killer_monk
2014-04-15, 09:57 PM
No, my bad. Okay. So barb 9, sorcerer 1, PrC 1. I had a mental breakdown and went back to Ad&D thought patterns.

killer_monk
2014-04-15, 11:17 PM
Okay, so I spoke to the other DM and we're just removing an ECL level cap altogether. So PrC now puts us at 11th level. But we no longer have to worry about hitting max ECL.

Any suggestions or recommendations from someone who may a played a campaign that didn't have a level cap?

killer_monk
2014-04-16, 10:22 PM
After going over my build I a bit I think maybe Barb 10/ sorcerer-word caster 1 may be my best bet? That way I get my full dragon totem set.

Or maybe taking barbarian to 12 for Come and Get me?

I'm still hoping for feed back on builds some of you may have played before. As I'm not certain if I want to go TWF, mixed or just a big sword yet.

Also, any help from people who may have used the word caster system would also be nice.