PDA

View Full Version : Let's... Black Lord of the Rings

LibraryOgre
2014-04-15, 09:44 PM
Cast Lord of the Rings with only black actors.

Some suggestions, to argue over or embrace:

Morgan Freeman: Gandalf
James Earl Jones: Saruman
Samuel L. Jackson: Aragorn

John Cribati
2014-04-15, 09:47 PM
Kevin Hart and Katt Williams are the hobbits.

Talakeal
2014-04-15, 09:55 PM
Kevin Hart and Katt Williams are the hobbits.

I like your choices, although Samuel L. Jackson might be a bit too old for Aragorn, I see him as more of a Théoden.

Its a shame there aren't that many fat / tall people in Middle Earth, there are so many talented black actors with great presence and deep rumbling voices that don't have many LoTR analogues.

Probably Rosario Dawson for Arwen.

And I just know they would cast Chris Rock and Chris Tucker as Merry and Pippen.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-15, 10:01 PM
Idris Elba would make a killer Legolas. Just cast your mind back to Thor. And Chiwetel Ejiofor would make a superb Gimli.

JustSomeGuy
2014-04-16, 06:03 AM
Can we get uncle Phil in there somehow, perhaps as Gimli? Also, i see a role for 'training day' style Denzel as the guy who 'manages' that human king.

Just for awesomeness - Mr T as Frodo, and George Foreman (+ grill) as Sam

BWR
2014-04-16, 06:28 AM
I want to see this movie.

Not quite so much as I want to see this movie (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NATeU-r0GDU), but still.

grolim
2014-04-16, 08:34 AM
Samuel L. Jackson as Gandolph......I am tired of this M-F'in Balrog on this M-F'in Bridge. But wearing his Nick Fury eyepatch.

Christopher Judge as Aragon, Ranger T'ealc

Michael Ealy as Sam.

Richard Roundtree as Theoden, just for the Shaft theme as he breaks off the spell,

Halle Barry as Galadriel

Zoe Zaldana as Arwen

Will Smith as Pippin, for the Fresh Prince rap scene with Denethor.

Mike Peterson as Boramir.

Uncle Phil as Gimli

Nick Cage as Elrond, sure he isn't black but he IS Nick Cage.

Katt Williams as Wormtongue

Dave Chapelle as Gollum

James Earl Jones as the Voice of the Ents.

Mystic Muse
2014-04-16, 09:04 AM
Can we get uncle Phil in there somehow, perhaps as Gimli? Also, i see a role for 'training day' style Denzel as the guy who 'manages' that human king.

Given that he passed away, I highly doubt it.

Athaniar
2014-04-16, 09:12 AM
Mr. T as Gimli.

ben-zayb
2014-04-16, 11:02 AM
In terms of acting chops, I think the following guys can do justice to the roles:
Morgan Freeman as Gandalf/Bilbo
Laurence Fishburne as Elrond
Djimon Hounsou as Aragorn
Jamie Foxx as Sam
Norm Lewis (Broadway) as Boromir
EDIT: Chiwetel Ejiofor as Frodo (probably)

Other than that, some LOL/cool popular choices:
Terry Crews as the Witch-King of Angmar
Samuel Jackson as Saruman/Gandalf
Don Cheadle as Legolas
Michael Clarke Duncan as Gimli (a man can dream :smallsigh:)
Terry Crews as the Witch-King of Angmar
Will Smith as Frodo
Wayans bros as Merry/Pippin
and finally, Terry Crews as the Witch-King of Angmar

An Enemy Spy
2014-04-16, 11:07 AM
Samuel L. Jackson as Gandolph......I am tired of this M-F'in Balrog on this M-F'in Bridge. But wearing his Nick Fury eyepatch.

Christopher Judge as Aragon, Ranger T'ealc

Michael Ealy as Sam.

Richard Roundtree as Theoden, just for the Shaft theme as he breaks off the spell,

Halle Barry as Galadriel

Zoe Zaldana as Arwen

Will Smith as Pippin, for the Fresh Prince rap scene with Denethor.

Mike Peterson as Boramir.

Uncle Phil as Gimli

Nick Cage as Elrond, sure he isn't black but he IS Nick Cage.

Katt Williams as Wormtongue

Dave Chapelle as Gollum

James Earl Jones as the Voice of the Ents.

Why should one race have a monopoly on Nick Cage? Nick Cages for everyone!

The Glyphstone
2014-04-16, 11:44 AM
Now where can we put Eddy Murphy and Will Smith? No one said this movie had to be good black actors.

Traab
2014-04-16, 12:05 PM
Eddie Murphy plays all of the elves because hiring eddy murphy means you need to find a dozen less actors to play various parts.

Jaden smith is samwise, will smith is gollum. Why? Because I said so, thats why. Plus having jayden get the chance to take out some annoyance at terrible movies on his dad by bossing him around in character should be good.

An Enemy Spy
2014-04-16, 12:09 PM
Now where can we put Eddy Murphy and Will Smith? No one said this movie had to be good black actors.

In what universe is Will Smith not a good actor? It certainly isn't this one.

The Glyphstone
2014-04-16, 12:25 PM
In what universe is Will Smith not a good actor? It certainly isn't this one.

He was a great actor. His latest runs have been on a consistent downward spiral, though, ever since Pursuit of Happyness in 2006. MIB^3 was passable at best, and the supporting cast contributed most of that.

Androgeus
2014-04-16, 01:27 PM
Given that he passed away, I highly doubt it.

He could play the King of the Dead?

The Glyphstone
2014-04-16, 01:46 PM
He could play the King of the Dead?

Nah. If we're going to do that, the King of the Dead should be Tupac's hologram.

Grek
2014-04-16, 03:23 PM
Eddie Murphy for Sauron, if only for the incongruity of it.

Kindablue
2014-04-16, 05:39 PM
He was a great actor. His latest runs have been on a consistent downward spiral, though, ever since Pursuit of Happyness in 2006. MIB^3 was passable at best, and the supporting cast contributed most of that.
Though they weren't good movies, he was good in I Am Legend and Seven Pounds, and even if he were awful in everything since Pursuit of Happyness, that's not even a ten year slump. Eddie Murphy, however, is the black Robert de Niro. He is awful now, and has been for long enough that a comeback seems impossible.

Black Lord of the Rings was a MadTV sketch, right? Key and Peele as Merry and Pippin seems so obvious to me. The chemistry's more important than being short. You can ILM them short. :P

Aedilred
2014-04-16, 06:45 PM
Idris Elba would make an awesome Aragorn, or Boromir for that matter.

Paterson Joseph for Denethor.

Lenny Henry as Gimli.

Colin Salmon as... Elrond, maybe?

Though they weren't good movies, he was good in I Am Legend and Seven Pounds, and even if he were awful in everything since Pursuit of Happyness, that's not even a ten year slump. Eddie Murphy, however, is the black Robert de Niro. He is awful now, and has been for long enough that a comeback seems impossible.
Hey now, de Niro at least had a great film career for a couple of decades before verging into rubbish. Eddie Murphy did Beverley Hills Cop and Trading Places and apart from that it's basically just Shrek. Everything else has ranged from "ok" to "mind-bogglingly awful".

Traab
2014-04-16, 07:05 PM
Hey, I also count Raw and Hysteria, since, despite being stand up routines, they were both filmed dangit! Heh, also golden child was pretty cool. Also 48 hours basically created the whole genre of buddy cop movies. Lethal weapon wouldnt have existed without 48 hours.

Talakeal
2014-04-16, 08:14 PM
I think Danny Glover would make a pretty good Bilbo.

He is simultaneously old and wise and fun and mischievous, which would bring a lot to the role.

TheFallenOne
2014-04-17, 11:35 AM
Donald Glover as Merry or Pippin.

Phill Lewis as Gollum. Hooch is crazy.

Mahershala Ali might make a good Aragorn.

Billy Dee would once have been a good Elrond, not sure where to put him now.

Yora
2014-04-17, 11:38 AM
I like your choices, although Samuel L. Jackson might be a bit too old for Aragorn, I see him as more of a Théoden.
He can't. That would already be Keith David.

Palanan
2014-04-17, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem
And Chiwetel Ejiofor would make a superb Gimli.

I was just thinking he needs to be Aragorn.

:smalltongue:

Also, Samuel L. Jackson needs to be Bilbo.

"This is Sting. When you absolutely, positively need to kill every [censored] orc in Moria...accept no substitutes."

LibraryOgre
2014-04-17, 01:06 PM
FWIW, I think Terrance Howard and Don Cheadle should be Boromir and Faramir.

Talakeal
2014-04-17, 02:38 PM
I think zoe saldana would be a much better eowyn than arwen, she seems much closer in both looks and personality.

Also, keith david would definitely need to be in here somewhere, but not sure if theoden would be right for him. Keith david seems a bit wiser and kore intimidating than theoden ever does.

The Glyphstone
2014-04-17, 03:18 PM
Reddit To The Rescue:

http://imgur.com/a/5ykiu

Hiro Protagonest
2014-04-17, 03:42 PM
Digitally recreate Micheal Clarke Duncan for the King of the Dead.

Yora
2014-04-17, 04:00 PM
Reddit To The Rescue:

http://imgur.com/a/5ykiu
Once or twice a year, there's a moment when I'll laugh nonstop for a whole minute.

Bill Cosby as Bilbo
did it. :smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2014-04-18, 03:45 PM
For me, that was the RingBlade.

veti
2014-04-23, 05:11 PM
Some 15 years ago, when the existing LotR movie was just a long-running rumour, I proposed Morgan Freeman for Gandalf.

I still think he'd have been better than Ian McKellan. (No disrespect meant to him, he does an adequate job, but MF would have been better.) And after all, wizards are supposed to look "different".

Psyren
2014-04-24, 08:33 AM
Let's comprise the Fellowship entirely of Wayans' brothers like the D&D movie :smallbiggrin:

BeholdenCaulf
2014-04-24, 12:48 PM
This has got to be my favourite thread ever

Morgan Freeman as Gandalf and Idris Elba as Legolas were great serious choices and I pmsled at Dave Chappelle as Gollum and Tupac's hologram as the King Of The Dead

James Earl Jones as the voice of Sauron was good too

My own choices would be Will Smith and Jamie Foxx as Frodo and Sam, Will Smith is definitely the wimpiest, sorry, most sensetive black actor I know.

Also Denzel for Elrond.

GloatingSwine
2014-04-24, 01:34 PM
Idris Elba would make a killer Legolas. Just cast your mind back to Thor. And Chiwetel Ejiofor would make a superb Gimli.

Idris Elba is built like a brick ****house. He is in no way an elf.

Swap them around maybe, with the perspective trickery they used on John Rhys Davies you could make a dwarf, but frankly Idris would be a better Aragorn and Chiwetel as Boromir rather than casting old Americans (even if Samuel L Jackson does appear to have found the same wizardry that has caused Patrick Stewart to not have visibly aged since 1982).

Hyena
2014-04-24, 02:02 PM
Samuel L Jackson as Legolas. Saruman starts talking his usual speech and then - SWOOSH!
- Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

I would totally buy it on blu-ray. Twice, maybe.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-24, 03:50 PM
Idris Elba is built like a brick ****house. He is in no way an elf.
Ain't nobody said elves were skinny. :smallbiggrin:

(No, seriously! I didn't think this had any textual Tolkien support, just the image of skinny pretty elves that we've been given over and over again. Remember that this is the stock which gave us Feanor and Maedhros!)

I'd imagine he would look a bit like Malekith from Thor: the Dark World. Only, Idris Elba style.

GoblinArchmage
2014-04-24, 06:16 PM
"They say this cat Gandalf is a bad mother-"

"Shut your mouth!"

"I'm only talking about Gandalf."

"We can dig it."

TheFallenOne
2014-04-26, 01:36 PM
After watching some older Walking Dead I think IronE Singleton would make a kickass Gimli.

And Wyatt Cenac as one of the hobbits.

Talakeal
2014-04-26, 08:19 PM
James Earl Jones as the voice of Sauron was good too

I was so hoping they would get him to do either Smaug or the Necromancer in the Hobbit. But then stupid Benedict gets to do them BOTH.

GoblinArchmage
2014-04-28, 06:55 PM
"Why don't you stop playing with yourself, Saruman? You ain't gonna do ****."

I was so hoping they would get him to do either Smaug or the Necromancer in the Hobbit. But then stupid Benedict gets to do them BOTH.

The new Hobbit movies would be so much better if Smaug sounded like Ommadon.

http://youtu.be/rkeoqVP4N9g