PDA

View Full Version : Buying Celestial Monkies

Sharigen95
2014-04-15, 11:45 PM
How much would to cost to buy a celestial monkey or a regular monkey as a pet?

holywhippet
2014-04-15, 11:58 PM
I don't think you could get a celestial monkey as they are an extraplanar creature.

As for a regular monkey it would be a matter of a) catching it and b) domesticating it.

The former would depend on where your character is compared to where monkey can be caught. So it could be cheap if you are living near a forest full of monkeys or expensive if they are on the next continent over.

For the latter it's a matter of using the handle animal skill to train them: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/handleAnimal.htm It will take a week per trick and you'll need to cover the DC of the trick. If you don't have that skill, and no party member does, you'll need to pay someone to train the monkey for you which would come under the trained hireling rules: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#hirelingTrained

Quiddle
2014-04-16, 12:48 AM
Have a friend
Polymorph any object
??????
Profit

ChocoSuisse
2014-04-16, 04:42 AM
I'd use the guidelines for slavery in Lords of Madness, page 100.

Cost = (CR, minimum 1)² × 100 gp
Unusual or marketable qualities in a slave, such as great
strength, great beauty, valuable skill, or exotic origin, can
multiply the price by two, three, or four.

So, for a Celestial monkey, I'd say 200gp, or 300gp if it's well trained (will act friendly and follow orders).
That is, provided you find a supplier.

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-16, 07:45 AM
I am going to say getting a celestial monkey can't cost more than 1,125, as that is the cost of a scroll of planer binding needed to simply call one yourself. Really, 450 is the cost of hiring a level 9 wizard to cast the binding for you. Once bound, you can simply put it in a cage and take it into slavery. They are intelligent creatures after all, owning one is slavery.

Psyren
2014-04-16, 08:34 AM
Have a friend
Polymorph any object
??????
Profit

Baleful Polymorph will do the same thing much earlier. Best part is they don't have to be your friend!