PDA

View Full Version : Is this how the basics of incarnum works?

CyberThread
2014-04-16, 01:20 AM
You get so many soul melds, you get so many essentia points.

Instead of caster levels, the various parts of the body is where you can put them on, but the higher level effect only unlocks at certain levels, to where you can actually soul meld it *aka equip it* which is the secondary effect.

Essentia points, are things you can invest in the meld, and use even with it is not bound to a body part.

OldTrees1
2014-04-16, 01:26 AM
Yeah, although I think unbound soulmelds are still located at body slots despite not occupying/expending those slots. I mean my Crystal Helm will form around my head whether I bind it to my Crown Chakra or not.

Andreaz
2014-04-16, 06:53 AM
I'm not sure I understood your explanation, so I'll redo it.
1) You have a list of melds and essentia points.
2) You can create as many of them as your constitution allows, one per body part.
3) Your hit dice determine how many essentia points you can dedicate to each meld.
4) As you level up in incarnum classes you learn to "bind" melds. This adds a secondary, more potent effect.

Psyren
2014-04-16, 08:06 AM
I'm not sure I understood your explanation, so I'll redo it.
1) You have a list of melds and essentia points.
2) You can create as many of them as your constitution allows, one per body part.
3) Your hit dice determine how many essentia points you can dedicate to each meld.
4) As you level up in incarnum classes you learn to "bind" melds. This adds a secondary, more potent effect.

This is mostly right but there are a few points to clear up here as well.

1) This is correct.
2) The maximum number of soulmelds you can have shaped is determined by either (a) your class table or (b) your Con score minus 10, whichever is lower. It is unclear whether the Shape Soulmeld feat counts toward this limit or ignores it.
3) Certain feats and class features increase the number of essentia you can invest in an incarnum receptacle (e.g. a soulmeld, racial ability, feat, spell or item.)
4) This is correct; I would also add that "binding" a meld makes that meld incompatible with a magic item in the same slot. In some cases, it may even physically prevent you from wearing the item there (but not always.)

Waker
2014-04-16, 08:11 AM
While I could simply link to Shneeky's Incarnum Guide, I will instead take the time to give a proper explanation of Incarnum, though it wouldn't hurt to check the guide at your leisure.
Soulmelds- Soulmelds are semi-permanent constructs made up of spiritual energy. They are shaped by a Meldshaper and correspond to one or more parts of the body. All soulmelds have an initial effect, a modified effect based on essentia investment and an additional effect if bound to a Chakra. It is important to note that soulmelds stay shaped unless the meldshaper removes it or the it is forcefully removed by some other means (some melds for instance unshape when as part of it's usage). Soulmelds can occupy the same body slot as a magic item unless bound to a Chakra, in which case you only gain the benefits of one or the other. The amount of soulmelds that a meldshaper can have shaped at any given time is determined by their class level detailed in the table corresponding to it or their constitution-10, whichever is lower.
Essentia- Essentia is a form of energy which can be invested into soulmelds, as well as certain feats and class features. Invested essentia requires a Swift action, during which you can allocate any or all of your essentia to any number of melds, feats or class abilities. Essentia is not spent under most circumstances and is permanent except in regards to certain special attacks that drain it. The maximum amount of essentia a character can invest into a particular meld, feat or class ability is dependent upon character level, not class level. The table is located on pg 19.
Chakra- Opening a Chakra grants a meldshaper the option of binding a soulmeld to it. This grants a benefit in addition to what the soulmeld would normally grant. When a meld is bound to a Chakra, a character cannot benefit from a magic item also occupying that body slot. The maximum number of soulmelds bound to a chakra are detailed in the table corresponding to each class based on level.

Those are the basics. If you have any other questions, lemme know. I doubt I'll answer them now before I go to sleep, but I can when I wake up if someone else doesn't.