PDA

View Full Version : Potions

omniangel
2014-04-16, 09:42 AM
Hey looking for some spells to turn into potions. In an epic level campaign with a mage/fighter with 5 levels in blood magus (FYI, homunculus? Yeah. LOVING my 110 extra HP!) And been thinking of some good potions to store for cheap and thought of this:

Potion of true casting- Level 1 spell at cl1, costs 35 gold to make (if using the gold-> XP rule). Made 10 of them. Soooo....+10 to my next cast before end of the NEXT round... For 35g....10 times for 350g.... Smells like a deal to me! And still not op due to potion rules.

Made 10 true strike potions as well. Can yall think of Any other ideas/spells along these lines? Ie- spells under third level that have effects that don't scale with level that are a standard act. Maybe a cl5 balor nimbus?

WHAT SAY YOU FOLKS?

ChocoSuisse
2014-04-16, 10:05 AM
In 3.5e, spells with a 'Personal' range can't be turned into potions.

omniangel
2014-04-16, 10:36 AM
In 3.5e, spells with a 'Personal' range can't be turned into potions.

Wait, for real? Where? I didn't see that on the SRD for potions/brew potions... Can you enlighten me? Cuz if that's the case then ....

And how does that even make sense? I can drink a potion that makes me walk on walls, give me a +5 to my fists or levitate, but I can't drink one that helps my spells or sets me on fire?

Thought we lived in Faerun, not freaking North Korea!

ChocoSuisse
2014-04-16, 10:49 AM
Check out 'Magic Item Creation: Creating Potions' in the DMG.

Well, it's up to your DM, but I wouldn't be eager to encounter a power-attacking Ogre with Truestrike Potions at CR3...

omniangel
2014-04-16, 11:05 AM

Well, it's up to your DM, but I wouldn't be eager to encounter a power-attacking Ogre with Truestrike Potions at CR3...

This is a point that is well taken.... Still... AoO are pretty tough tough, too...

AT ANY RATE- NEW TOPIC. How in the HECK does one go about making the blood magus "blood drought" class ability useful? Cuz if there is one thing I hate more than anything- it's wasting class abilities. And it seems like it has SO MUCH potential to be good- and it wants to.

Naanomi
2014-04-16, 10:40 PM
I wonder if it could be made to interact positively with either Alchemical Savant or Master Alchemist?

ericgrau
2014-04-16, 11:39 PM

I wouldn't mind, because when he power attacks every other round he'll do less damage than one who attacks normally every round.

But ya, it's not allowed. And there would be worse ways to abuse personal spells.

I can't think of much that you can't already prepare or scroll or wand for cheaper. Maybe invisibility, spider climb for the homunculus to scout long distances.