PDA

View Full Version : Could a fighter ever replace a controller?

smishfam
2014-04-16, 11:45 AM
I have been considering a lot of controllers for the campaign I am currently in, yet none of them seem fun to role play for some reason. I have always wanted to play a brawler fighter, and I thought maybe a correctly built brawler fighter could replace a controller. Brawlers have strong lockdown, good debuffs, and I can take dual strike as well as some other tempest fighter powers to cover minion popping.

So I would like to know if it is possible to replace a controller with a brawler fighter and if so, how would should I do it.

Edit: As it turns out even though our DM is giving us a lot of freedom, we still don't have a person trained in Arcana or a Ritual Caster and I need to be that guy who has that stuff, so I guess it does not matter, I suppose a sword mage would work, but it's just not the same, I guess I am stuck with controller.

Inevitability
2014-04-16, 11:56 AM
I have been considering a lot of controllers for the campaign I am currently in, yet none of them seem fun to role play for some reason. I have always wanted to play a brawler fighter, and I thought maybe a correctly built brawler fighter could replace a controller. Brawlers have strong lockdown, good debuffs, and I can take dual strike as well as some other tempest fighter powers to cover minion popping.

So I would like to know if it is possible to replace a controller with a brawler fighter and if so, how would should I do it.

I'm currently playing a brawling fighter who also takes tempest fighter powers, and I'm having a lot of fun with him. Just try to find a way to fight at range.

Also remember, if you don't think you can roleplay something right, refluff it, refluff the refluffasion, and look at it again.

smishfam
2014-04-16, 12:00 PM
I'm currently playing a brawling fighter who also takes tempest fighter powers, and I'm having a lot of fun with him. Just try to find a way to fight at range.

Also remember, if you don't think you can roleplay something right, refluff it, refluff the refluffasion, and look at it again.

It is not that I cannot figure out HOW to role play them, it is just that I don't have much fun doing so.

Tegu8788
2014-04-16, 12:41 PM
I played with a hilarious Brawler that acted as a great Controller after our Druid disappeared.

He was a Wrestler. The whole way, had a banner that pulled baddies in, called it his wrestling ring. Nothing got away from him, and he was hilarious to watch in action.

vasharanpaladin
2014-04-16, 12:49 PM
The Controller's role is delivery of hard action denial. Every class gets those sort of powers. The only problem you should have from lacking a dedicated Controller is large groups, and even that gets mitigated by the presence of a monk or sorcerer.

cbarrett76
2014-04-16, 01:36 PM

I know this isn't a fighter but I've been playing a prescient bard (ranged leader) and tweaking it for control through immediate interrupt action denial. Its the most fun I have ever had and the DM has said it is the most powerful control he has ever played against. The basic premise is that you can block or "un-do" whatever the DM does as an interrupt or "fix" something your team messed up on in combat. We have 2 strong melee characters in the party so on-turn I just grant a free melee basic and do everything else off-turn. It works like this at level 7:

1) You hit my ally with an attack? I add +4 to that defense and now it doesn't hit (you can add the +4 for a while turn with a feat)
2) You hit my ally and now you have him grabbed/restrained/etc? No, he teleports away and is invisible to you.
3) My ally missed with a melee attack? No, I hit the enemy for decent damage and add +7 to the allies attack roll, now they hit
4) You hit my ally? I hit you hard (daily) and they get to do an atwill against you with a big bonus. If you survive then your attack hits.
5) You hit my ally with a melee attack? No you teleport over there and hit your own ally instead (multiclass sword mage and an accuracy feat)
6) Roll 3 D20, replace an allys attack with the highest dice roll (daily)
7) by level 13 - You rolled a saving throw? I shoot you for decent damage and subtract that roll by 6, you didnt save, sorry

Your team will LOVE playing with this character as it is the ultimate utility knife and the DM will cry as you literally undo one action he succeeds in per round. If you run out of interrupts then your teams DPR is low.