PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Psionic Eternal Wand? Or its equivalent?

unseenmage
2014-04-16, 04:56 PM
Is there such a thing as a Psionic Eternal Wand?
Is there a possible workaround?

The goal is to be able to use the Quintessence power a limited number of times per day indefinitely.

The character who would be making said item is a level 15 Psionic Artificer in a 3.5 game if that helps.

Edit: As there apparently is not suggestions welcome for how to achieve said effect.

Necroticplague
2014-04-16, 05:21 PM

The goal is to be able to use the Quintessence power a limited number of times per day indefinitely.

The character who would be making said item is a level 15 Psionic Artificer in a 3.5 game if that helps.

Not quite a wand, but Special Psionic Tattoos (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20031225a) can do something similar with the right set-up.

Curmudgeon
2014-04-16, 05:22 PM
No, there's no such thing. That puts you squarely in the arena of custom item creation, which is between you and your individual DM.

unseenmage
2014-04-16, 05:23 PM
No, there's no such thing. That puts you squarely in the arena of custom item creation, which is between you and your individual DM.

Strange, I didn't think I put this question in the Rules Q&A thread...

unseenmage
2014-04-16, 05:26 PM
Not quite a wand, but Special Psionic Tattoos (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20031225a) can do something similar with the right set-up.

As I am a virtual newb where it comes to the Psionics, you wouldn't be willing to elaborate instructively would you?

Necroticplague
2014-04-16, 06:44 PM
As I am a virtual newb where it comes to the Psionics, you wouldn't be willing to elaborate instructively would you?

A few capacitors connected by a relay to a tattoo of Quintessence would drain you of power points at the start of each day to give it enough to manifest on use like a wand. Combine with a cognizance crystal to pay for the points, and your good.

Gavinfoxx
2014-04-16, 07:53 PM
Read this:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4319.0

Rubik
2014-04-16, 08:03 PM
Page 232 of the MIC says that you can create the psionic equivalent of magic items if you have a comparable item creation feat (Craft Dorje instead of Craft Wand) and an equivalent power (any that could go into the psionic equivalent of an eternal wand -- in this case, an eternal dorje).

So just use Craft Dorje and the power of your choice.

Done.

Curmudgeon
2014-04-16, 08:18 PM
Strange, I didn't think I put this question in the Rules Q&A thread...
No, but the thread does have the "Rules Q&A" tag.

unseenmage
2014-04-16, 10:16 PM
No, but the thread does have the "Rules Q&A" tag.

A) That's not a "Tag", that's a "Prefix" (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=59&a=71) and B) There are more to the rules than you acknowledge when you answer questions. I explicitly did not post to the Rules Q&A thread to avoid these scathing little remarks from you implying how questions should and should not be asked. There maybe you have some clout as you are useful when strictly interpreting the RAW. Here I asked for suggestions as well as for an answer and I take offense with your remark that this should be kept between me and my DM instead of freely asked about on the forum. My weakest apologies if that is not how you intend to come across because that is in fact how you came across to me, the OP and the guy whose thread you sought out to comment upon.

In short, the "Rules Q&A" prefix doesn't make the thread yours. Please refrain from assuming such in the future.

Psyren
2014-04-16, 10:34 PM

There's several. The easiest is a friendly psion with Soul Crystal who can make you one of Quintessence. There is also the Unknown Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#manifestAnUnknownPowerFr omAnothersPowersKnown) method of addressing a power stone, though for this one to work you will have to ignore the nerf in CPsi which causes the stone to be flushed. However, this method can also be used with a dorje or other unflushable receptable; this will allow you to manifest from a quintessence dorje without burning any of the charges.

Sliver
2014-04-17, 03:59 AM
A) That's not a "Tag", that's a "Prefix" (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=59&a=71) and B) There are more to the rules than you acknowledge when you answer questions. I explicitly did not post to the Rules Q&A thread to avoid these scathing little remarks from you implying how questions should and should not be asked. There maybe you have some clout as you are useful when strictly interpreting the RAW. Here I asked for suggestions as well as for an answer and I take offense with your remark that this should be kept between me and my DM instead of freely asked about on the forum. My weakest apologies if that is not how you intend to come across because that is in fact how you came across to me, the OP and the guy whose thread you sought out to comment upon.

In short, the "Rules Q&A" prefix doesn't make the thread yours. Please refrain from assuming such in the future.

Random unnecessary hostility.

You asked if it exists, he said no, placing it in the custom items area which a DM is always the final say about (well, he is the final say about everything, but then everything is moot). He isn't saying that you shouldn't ask for suggestions or alternatives, just that this specific thing doesn't exist.

137beth
2014-04-17, 09:51 AM
Page 232 of the MIC says that you can create the psionic equivalent of magic items if you have a comparable item creation feat (Craft Dorje instead of Craft Wand) and an equivalent power (any that could go into the psionic equivalent of an eternal wand -- in this case, an eternal dorje).

So just use Craft Dorje and the power of your choice.

Done.

Psst, guys, it does exist!

Rubik
2014-04-17, 09:55 AM
Psst, guys, it does exist!I'd wondered if everyone in the thread was going to ignore me. Or maybe I'm invisible? Maybe I should stop posting naked...

Psyren
2014-04-17, 10:00 AM
Actually, the only two feats that are given "creation transparency" in MiC are Craft Universal Item (=CWI) and Craft Psionic Arms & Armor (CMA&A). Craft Dorje does not in fact = Craft Wand.

dextercorvia
2014-04-17, 10:15 AM
Actually, the only two feats that are given "creation transparency" in MiC are Craft Universal Item (=CWI) and Craft Psionic Arms & Armor (CMA&A). Craft Dorje does not in fact = Craft Wand.

And you would somehow have to account for the (insane, IMO) fact that Eternal Wands only work on arcane spells, and there is no psionic equivalent to Arcane.