PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Roleplaying a Dvati pair

atemu1234
2014-04-16, 05:24 PM
I'm running a Dvati rogue. I've encountered a roleplaying issue- just how different are the twins, personality wise? They're described as being capable of taking opposite sides in an argument, acting independently in melee battle, etc., so how different should the two be? Close siblings? Identical twins? The twins from the shining? Help please.

Virdish
2014-04-16, 05:43 PM
I've always thought of dvati as two halves of a while similar to the cheesy idea of soulmates. Or at least this is a fun concept. So one might be brash abs quick to action where the other is slower and more tactical. The tactical one could allow down the brash one when he's pushing too hard and the brash one can point out the tactical ones indecision.

DarkSonic1337
2014-04-16, 05:56 PM
Well physically they are identical twins. Mentally they are one person.

In an argument, imagine that you are weighing both sides and are unsure of what stance to take (or that you are playing devil's advocate in order to see something from the other side, even if you don't agree with it). Now have one "body" represent each side. It's not that the two bodies disagree, it's that your mind is unsure of which stance it wants to take and is simply debating it out loud rather than internally.

Seeing things from multiple angles (sometimes LITERALLY) is what Dvati are about.

I played mine where the two bodies would sometimes act as different alignments (not extremes, just LEANING towards law or chaos). I also gave each body a name (Elise and Eliza), and had them confuse which is which every now and then. Pronouns get really weird with them (her?) They don't really stray too far from each other even though they could, because they're just used to being together. Though one time I did have one body act as a lookout while the other went exploring a building.

In battle I would have them work together to take out enemies, typically flanking them. My DM ruled that they shared a pool of class abilities, and they were swordsages with adaptive style, so sometimes I'd have one take the turn off to refresh maneuvers for the other. For simplicity's sake I have them using the same equipment (buying two of everything Q_Q), but you can get really creative by having them actually employ different fighting styles (though it might be hard to get the feats to support them).

The most important thing to remember is that they are the SAME PERSON! They're not going to actually disagree with each other at the end of any argument, they're not going to have wildly different personalities, they're going to be completely capable of using each other's styles (equipment non withstanding), they're going to have the same though processes, ect. However they have TWO BODIES, so they're going to be able to literally observe things from different angles at the same time, and observe more things at once, even though they will probably both feel pain together each body will take the damage separately, they're gonna be easier to spot on sneak missions (two people to spot).

Necroticplague
2014-04-16, 06:18 PM
The two "twins" aren't different people any more than your left hand is a different body than your right one. Both of them are just extensions of the same mind, any appearance otherwise is just either a front they put up or a side-effect of their way of life emphasizing seeing all sides of things. If "they" disagree, it not like two people having a disagreement, its like one person saying "part of me wants to do this, and part doesn't."

Erik Vale
2014-04-16, 06:29 PM
Echoing much of the above, but let me point out that their fluff is that they are 1 Soul that's to 'big' [huh?] for one body, and so was given a second... So how would you behave if you had two bodies that were in almost complete and constant communication with each other [They really should have mindlink, instead they only have empathy :smallannoyed:]?

Also echoing the pain of buying two pairs of equipment... Try and convince the party that you count as two people for loot sharing, then you may catch up from or effectively halved WBL at the start... Or start with one 'body' at home, and then convince the party should hire the other you, all of you chipping in for the other bodies gear.