PDA

View Full Version : TOB and Gestalt

geez3r
2007-02-07, 10:54 PM
Ok, so a gestalt game is starting up soon, and I've got a question regarding the build I want. You see, I want to take an even split of warblade and swordsage (1 of each at each level). So aside from the horrible brokeness (remeber it is a gestalt game so horrible brokeness is a good starting point), of having all good saves, best Bab, a d12 HD, 6 skill points per level, access to 8 of the 9 disciplines, etc. There is the matter of the Initiator level. You gain an Initiator level per every 2 martial classes besides your main class, so it is my understanding, that at 2nd level, I would have an IL of 3 in both classes. My question: Is this legal? As in, is there any written rule forbidding this combination?

Behold_the_Void
2007-02-07, 11:58 PM
I'd say count your initiator as your class level of whatever side of the gestalt you're on, just like you do with standard spellcasters.

Also, I think it's 7 disciplines you have access to. As I recall only the Crusader has access to White Raven Tactics and Devoted Spirit.

Ryuuk
2007-02-08, 12:32 AM
Warblades get White Raven as well, the only Crusader only one is Devoted Spirit. From what I can gather, if both Warblade and Swordsage levels are on the same side of the gestalt, they would stack normally (Initiator level equal to your hit dice). I personally wouldn't count the other side as boosting initiator level though. You're already getting full progression and getting 9th level maneuvers at level 11 doesn't seem quite right.

I'd rule that you would have an initiator level equal to your hit dice, since it would be akin to having a Wizard//(+1 Spellcasting level prestige class) and having it stack with the wizard levels.

Jack Mann
2007-02-08, 02:02 AM
Yeah, when they had the rule that other classes add to your initiator level, they didn't really have gestalt in mind, I don't think.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-08, 06:28 AM
Since that extra class gives initiator level in itself and doesn't actually grant extra HD I'd say there's no question of getting anything but initiator level = to class level.

Ramza00
2007-02-08, 10:01 AM
This is actually covered by the gestalt rules people. Remember the part about when both classes have a progression, you take the best progression per that level? (Like for sneak attack, and feats). Well that also applies to initiator level.

selfcritical
2007-02-08, 12:25 PM
Swordsage/psywar or warblade/psywar somewhat intrigues me as a gestalt concept too. Between diamond mind and the psywar defensive buffs, you could get very annoying to casters very quickly.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-02-10, 08:23 PM
Monk/Warblade is my dream for a gestalt character.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-02-10, 10:57 PM
Warblade//Swordsage really is godly. One of my players took that route. They traded it off a little while ago for Sun and Moon Ninja//Dread Commando, soon to pick back up on Warblade when Dread Commando finishes, and then he has no idea after that. But it's really impressive to watch him move around in his mithral full plate armor without penalty, pull off several devastating chains of bizarre sword magics, then have the skills to pull off some weird skill monkery. He's also using skill tricks a lot to further cheapen everything he touches and took the feat Able Learner. It's like he found a way to permanently break the non-caster class.