PDA

View Full Version : PTU: The Beginning

Pages : [1] 2

Arcran
2014-04-16, 11:22 PM
Chapter 1: The Beginning

Seven years. Seven long, hard years. Seven years full of conflict, senseless bloodshed and heartache. Everybody has lost somebody and some have lost everybody but yet somehow mankind endures, even if it is only a small band.

The small band of scarcely two hundred guided by Aron continues to survive but only just. From the outside, the group should be doing perfectly fine. The current camp is defensible with a steep hill giving defenders a steep advantage. The rotting skulls of greyskins on pikes show the beasts the folly of what can happen when they mess with mankind. Barrels and buckets, pots and pans and other appliances are almost always out collecting the almost continuous rainfall of Washington in April. The food, while not plentiful, is enough.

However, these meager blessings are hardly enough. The fear can be seen in the eyes of every man, woman and child in the camp. Rumor has it that firearms are running low on ammunition. The last raiding party that was sent out to collect more guns and ammunition never returned. Bows and spears work fine against animals, but against greyskins? They weren't much better than fists. Even Aron's mighty METANG unit is beginning to look a little worse for wear and is badly in need of repair parts or else the ace in the hole of mankind will no longer be operational. Since Aron had driven out Stephen nearly fifty had been lost to disease, greyskins or worse. There's even a rumor that the food stores are drying up, creating even more panic among the base.

In this most hostile of environments six children have found themselves blessed with extraordinary talents. Some control the elements. Others are fleet of food and strong in spirit. One is just a bit crazier than most. Whoever they are, whatever they are, they could not possibly understand the role something greater has planned for them.

April 7th, 2019

Another day, another cloudy sky up above. The greyskins haven't been seen for over two weeks, making everybody more on edge than normal. In some ways the occasional scout, that random assault was a good thing; at least you knew the bastards were there. After all, why would they stop? Were they plotting? Had something worse killed them? Or is it something more diabolical than that?

The rainy weather has caused a small cold to spread throughout the camp. Nothing major but the sounds of coughing and phlegmy spittle are almost the choir to the daily camp life at this point, nearly as much so as the fools that seem to always be training with archaic weapons in the vain hope to become competent enough in them to combat greyskins. Aron's METANG unit occasionally floats through the camp, exposed circuitry occasionally exposed as it buzzes and whirls, heavy metallic arms dangling loosely below it.

The sun has just come up but with the thick cloud cover up above the light has hardly changed.

And so we begin! This is your chance for your introductory post. In a typical morning around the camp what is your character doing? Feel free to create NPCs (within reason!) to help illustrate what your character's life is like. Let us begin!

And, if this isn't your speed, don't worry, fun stuff is coming soon!

Tybar
2014-04-17, 09:13 AM
Marcus looks up at the morning sun with a frown, but shrugs. It isn't too hard to fight in rain after all.

He passes by Carlos, an 8 year old and smiles to him, ruffling his hair before heading off to training, nodding to adults and kids his age as he passes them.

When he gets to the training grounds, he looks around for Jill, a training partner, not seeing her, he unsheathes his sword and gets in some practice swings.

Carlos:
Young hispanic boy with an unruly mop of hair, lives with several others, not sure if they're his original family or not, as they don't speak English as their primary language. Carlos is grasping it well enough lately though.

Jill:
She's 18, short, blonde, blue eyed, and tough. She apparently did sports too before the Light and Greyskins, she talks quite a bit, mostly to fill up the silence that Marcus leaves. Sometimes he replies, usually with quick comments though. She is an active defender of the town, and keeps her hair short to help with that.

Hefty Lefty
2014-04-17, 01:25 PM
"Anyone lookin'?" The boy dressed in tight Under Armour facing a tree leans into it as he stretches his muscles in the early morning fog. 90% of injuries are caused by improper stretching. He reminds himself. He thinks a coach told him that once. Either way, it sounds right. You pop or pull something out there in the woods, you're as good as dead.

"Um, no," the young girl barely into double-digits inspects her surroundings on the edge of the North Bend camp area. "But don't you think you shouldn't be here? Like, if you're hiding from people as you do something, you probably shouldn't be doing it." She tries to have the same conversation with her older brother every morning despite it always going the same way.

"Case', I'll be fiiiine. You gotta chill." He switches legs.

Casey rolls her eyes. Where does he get off saying that? A statement like that has no basis whatsoever, plus they both know that nothing's a guarantee in this world, especially when you're talking about the Greyskin. "...but, what if something happens?"

"C'mon when has anything happened?" He shifts to stretch his arms against the tree; leaning against its soft damp bark, he pulls his body away from the trunk, stretching his pectorals, alternating sides.

"But it only takes one ti- "

"If anything's out there, I'll run away from it. Ain't nothin' gon' catch me."

"But you don't- "

"Hey." He tenses up for a moment and looks Casey directly in her eyes. "That's why I run out here. You know that. When the next invasion comes," Casey shivers; it's unclear as to the thought of another attack or just the morning chill. "I'll be just as fast through the trees as I am on the field. If they need me to do recon or somethin', I'll be ready." He waits for a reaction from his sister, but she continues to stare into the dirt. "Make sense?"

The girl kicks a small rock over a twisted root. The speech didn't validate the risk in her mind, but she's tired of fighting this losing battle for the millionth time. "Yeah." Casey glances back up at the village to still find no prying eyes. "If you're gonna go, go now. But please, be fast Wes."

Wes takes a few hop-steps backwards into the woods, picking up momentum, and laughs, "Come on, all I am is fast!" He turns and dashes into the forest and after only a few steps is lost between the thick sea of foliage. Casey shoves her hands into the pockets of her blue and green Seahawks hoodie and, as she always does, heads back to the group in search of her friends. They help dissolve the terrible sickness at the pit of her stomach she gets this time every morning.

- - - - - -

Marcus and Jill are suddenly startled by a loud rustle of leaves behind them and can't help but violently turn towards. Maybe in a different world they could have believed the sound was just a squirrel or other small woodland critter - but here in the unfortunately all-too-real world, anything can be the beginning of everything. This time, however, it's just their friend Wes emerging through the green foliage; his dark red athletic wear contrasts sharply with his surroundings.

"What's up guys!?" Wes wipes a generous sweat from his forehead. "I make it in time to see Marc' get his ass beat by a girl again?" He takes a seat on the ground in a V-formation and starts stretching his hamstrings. "Or did I already miss it?"

Wes' voice and a bit of inspiration: Boobie Miles (wearing the black Nikes) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EniSVYFXuP8#t=05s
Casey's voice: Jazmine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQmL7t6QyZU#t=66s

Tybar
2014-04-17, 02:03 PM
Marcus and Jill spin, his sword flashing in a guard to cover the left, her staff spinning to the right. Both look at him, Marcus grunts once and turns back to Jill, who trips him with her staff, giggling.

Marcus gets up, spitting out some dirt from his mouth, grinning a bit. "Just in time."

He stretches, looking up at the sun. "Time for a break?"

Jill nods, and flops down next to her staff. Marcus cleans his sword, setting it on the ground next to him.

Jill looks at Wes slyly. "How was the run?"

The Grim Author
2014-04-17, 02:39 PM
Morning was usually a slow time for Sinclair, allowing him to get dressed and do a little reading on medicine and photography (his parents were supposedly photographers, knowing about it would be good for his cover). He didn't normally like being interrupted during his study time... especially when it was someone who had done something stupid. And yet... "Sinclair, I don't feel too good..."

He sighed as he walked over to the source of the noise, a 10-year-old brown-haired white boy with athletic tape on his arms, legs, hands, and feet. "What is it, Bobby?" Sinclair took a few mental notes; Bobby's eyes were wide but his pupils were abnormally small, he was shaking a little, and his teeth were stained blue-green. "...Bobby, what were you eating?"

"I found some berries in the woods, and they tasted really, really good, but now they're making my stomach feel really, really bad..." Sinclair took a look at Bobby's hands; they weren't stained too badly, so it probably meant he'd only eaten a couple handfuls. Not enough to make him over-full. That meant...

"Bobby, those were bad berries. Like, poison bad." Sinclair sighed. "I guess I know what I'm doing this morning."

NPC:
Robert Barnes Jones III, aka "Bobby": Brown-haired, blue-eyed, white-skinned kid. Wears athletic tape, plain color t-shirts, and jean shorts, but doesn't wear shoes. Has a sort of higher-pitched voice, and tends to go around looking for trouble. 10 years old, one younger brother (Michael Jones, "Mikey", age 9) and one younger sister (Felicity Jones, age 6 (yes, 6, and only just turned 6 at that)). Parents died 2-1/2 years ago.

carnackiArdent
2014-04-17, 03:55 PM
Clara is still asleep. Not that she's sleeping very well; she was up late doing a combination of research in the chemistry textbooks she's scavenged over the years and fretting. Okay, mostly fretting. Either way, she fell asleep at the overturned crate that serves her for a desk in the little lab tent rather than actually making it to what passes for bed.

It isn't until voices start passing by outside that she wakes up, pushing her glasses up to rub the sleep from her eyes. She's still a little groggy - but that doesn't mean she forgets to make sure her cap is on securely before she sticks her head outside to see what was going on. This early in the morning she might be able to pass it off, but she doesn't want to make a habit of forgetting and have someone start questioning why she looks like a dandelion these days.

She sighs at the gloomy weather. Just like yesterday, of course. Not that she isn't used to it; this isn't too far from where she lived before, considering. She flinches a little as the METANG floats by, sparking in the dampness; it hasn't ever shown any indication of noticing her strangeness yet, but it still makes her jumpy.

"You know, as much as you fuss over everybody else, you'd think you would take better care of yourself."

Clara looks around quickly to see Rhys lounging at the base of the hill, which the lab tent is set right up against. She sighs and rolls her eyes. "Do you have to do that?"

"Sneaking up on you's the only way I ever get to talk to you anymore." He pushes himself off the ground to come over to her. "Is there something going on?"

"No, Rhys, I just..." She just really doesn't want to have this conversation right now. In the process of avoiding looking him in the eye, she spots Sinclair and Bobby a little way off. "Oh, geez, I wonder what Bobby's done now. I should go make sure Sinclair has everything he needs. Look, we'll talk later, okay?"

Before he can answer, she hurries off in the direction of the two boys. She really doubts she's done much to fool Rhys, but she's procrastinating on figuring out what to tell him as long as she possibly can. Besides, it's true that she ought to make sure Sinclair isn't out of whatever he needs to treat Bobby. "What is it this time?" she asks as she gets closer to them.

A lanky young man in his late teens. Has long, mousy brown hair. Dresses mostly in black with splashes of color. His family moved to America from Wales not long before the Golden Light; he's still got an accent. Primarily known around the camp for being rather loud and a bit lazy, preferring playing his guitar to any actual work. He and Clara used to have a thing, but she's been avoiding him lately for obvious reasons.

The Grim Author
2014-04-17, 04:19 PM
"Bobby decided to eat some berries he found in the woods. From the looks of it, they were poisonous." Sinclair sighed. "I think I've got something in here that'll help... If you've got any ideas, now'd be the time. The berries were probably blue or purple, if that helps..."

"Hey, Clara..." Bobby waved weakly to her before he turned a slightly greenish shade.

"Can we borrow the lab tent? Only getting the antitoxin right without knowing what's in Bobby's system is going to be hard. Like, possibly-no-more-Bobby hard." Bobby turned very pale at this. "Don't worry, Bobby. I'm not going to let you go without a fight. A big long hard one. Although in the future, don't eat anything that's just growing out there until you've had someone like Toby look it over."

carnackiArdent
2014-04-17, 04:37 PM
"Oh, wonderful. Just perfect." For once, at least, she doesn't immediately launch into a lecture, but only because Sinclair is already doing so. "Blue berries... hm."

Botany is not, in fact, Clara's strong point. She's not very good at identifying what is edible and what isn't herself, though she generally tends to err on the safe side. "I think I have a book that might help. It's just one of the little field guides, but it's got some of the common plants around here."

Unfortunately, it is of course in the lab tent. Back where Rhys is. But she's not going to let a ten-year-old be poisoned just because of her relationship problems. "Right, the lab tent. Of course you can use it. And I'll see if I can find that book."

Hefty Lefty
2014-04-17, 05:42 PM
"Yeah yeah, break time as soon as Wes shows up. I get it." The boy leans up and starts digging in the ground in front of him, where an astute eye can notice the soil is softer. A few handfuls down, he pulls up a lime green Nalgene bottle he stashes there for after each morning's run. "'Sgood Jill. Took a lap aroun' the Greyskins, bashed a couple heads in." Wes takes a long drink. "If it weren't for me, we'd be havin' daily attacks ya know." He eyes Marcus, then Jill intensely. "So you're welcome." He keeps the stare up for a few seconds before breaking his charade and laughing as he drops to the ground. "Seriously though, the f*cks up with those Greydicks. It's boring here without them."

Tybar
2014-04-17, 06:45 PM
Marcus frowns at that, but shakes his head. I'm worried. They shouldn't be this quiet.

He sighs and stands back up, stretching, and pulls his sword back out of its sheathe, staring at it for a moment. Sparring time?

He walks a bit away and sets himself in a defensive position again, sword held firm.

Arcran
2014-04-17, 07:49 PM
"Oh, wonderful. Just perfect." For once, at least, she doesn't immediately launch into a lecture, but only because Sinclair is already doing so. "Blue berries... hm."

Botany is not, in fact, Clara's strong point. She's not very good at identifying what is edible and what isn't herself, though she generally tends to err on the safe side. "I think I have a book that might help. It's just one of the little field guides, but it's got some of the common plants around here."

Unfortunately, it is of course in the lab tent. Back where Rhys is. But she's not going to let a ten-year-old be poisoned just because of her relationship problems. "Right, the lab tent. Of course you can use it. And I'll see if I can find that book."

Rhys is sprawled out in front of the tent, his guitar across his legs. He doesn't seem to be doing much of note from afar but, as you near, he frantically pushes himself up and begins strumming with his fingers on the guitar.

"If we were a movie," he says, his British accent slurred somewhat. Apparently sappy Hannah Montanna songs are what pass for romance in a post-apocalyptic world. Half of the chords are wrong anyways, from the little you remember of the famous Hannah Montanna of your childhood.

"I'd be the right guy that you'd fall in love with. In the end we'd be laughing, watching the sunset!" he almost shouts, forcing himself into a sort of rolling cough for a bit. He spits out a prodigious lugey before looking at you with big, sad eyes.

"Comon Claire," he says, using his pet name for you, "Tell me what's wrong. You haven't said more then five words at a time to me in almost a month. What the bloody hell is up with you?" he says somewhat angrily.

Marcus frowns at that, but shakes his head. I'm worried. They shouldn't be this quiet.

He sighs and stands back up, stretching, and pulls his sword back out of its sheathe, staring at it for a moment. Sparring time?

He walks a bit away and sets himself in a defensive position again, sword held firm.

Jill uses her staff to push herself up, grinning widely. She simply circles you for a bit, occasionally poking a quick, easily avoidable jab with her staff to keep you on edge. After a minute of simple sparring she dashes forward, her staff headed straight for your knees! Unless you either pull off an amazing feat of gymnastics of block it Jill will likely put you on your ass for the second time today.

AC: [roll0]
Trip: [roll1]

This is a Trip attempt, so oppose this with Combat or Acrobatics.

This is a sparring match, so please no *actual* attacks. Keep it to Combat Maneuvers unless you want to actually hurt her.

carnackiArdent
2014-04-17, 08:06 PM
This is exactly what Clara was afraid of. She wants to have this discussion in front of other people even less than she wants to have it at all. But she has somebody she needs to help, so just turning around and walking away really isn't an option right now.

"When I said 'later', I didn't mean 'five minutes later.' Can we talk when I'm not trying to help with a sick kid, at least?" she asks, gesturing in Bobby's and Sinclair's direction.

She doesn't pay much attention to his voice. It's possible she doesn't even notice it; she's trying not to even think in Rhys's general direction right now and she isn't always that observant at the best of times. She moves to walk past him into the tent and hopefully cut the conversation short.

TwilightKiwi
2014-04-17, 08:12 PM
Daybreak found Tobias slinking into camp via less-used avenues, a wet and heavy burden on his back, his clothes damp from the early morning's rain. As usual, he'd spent most of the night out in the forest - he felt more at home in the wild Pacific Northwest twilight than he did in what passed for sunshine among the tents and ramshackle buildings that housed Aron's congregation, and more and more Toby found himself awake and active at the wrong time of day and tired in the afternoon. The darkness held no mystery or terror to the boy, and nothing ever found him that he didn't want to. He'd almost stayed out in the woods for the rest of the day, found a nice hidden spot to take a nap - better to be scarce than let the adults think you were just being lazy - but for once he'd actually been doing something arguably productive with his time for the last week or so.

Spotting Sinclair following Clara into her makeshift laboratory, one of the camp's younger kids in tow, Toby cheerfully picked up his pace, barely paying any attention to Rhys. "Clara looks a mite busy, mate -" He mimicked the older boy's voice with surprising accuracy as he walked past. "Make yourself useful an' do somethin' with these, eh?" Rhys suddenly found a large, squishy, and pungent trashbag dumped into his lap - several pounds of freshly caught fish, some still wriggling and gasping. "Sure they'll think th' world of a right responsible dude like you performin' his duty as an upstandin' citizen." Ignoring any protests Rhys might have made, he continued into the tent, greeting Sinclair with a hearty slap on the back. "Morrrrrrrrrrnin' Sinny!" he declared brightly, drawling out his words as he shook some of the water out of his ratty scarf. "Grabbed some breakfast. See you guys're gettin' an early start. What's all the fuss?" Spotting the several unusual shades of color Bobby was sporting, he leaned in closely with no regard for personal space, sniffing the berry juice on the young boy's hands and giving a quick lick before spitting matter-of factly. "Hmmmmm."

Survival to try and identify the berries: [roll0]

Tybar
2014-04-17, 08:39 PM
[roll0]

Marcus blocks at the attack, grinning a bit as he does.

He then slides his sword along her staff, attempting to knock it from her hands.

[roll1]

Marcus can't shift his sword in to block in time, and falls, this time on his back, staring up.

The Grim Author
2014-04-18, 12:17 AM
"Hey, Toby. Bobby here decided to eat some berries and now he's..." Sinclair paused as he racked his brain. "I think the word is 'tweaking'. And nauseated. And..." Sinclair scraped a little juice off his fingers before walking over to the equipment. "And he needs to understand that just because it looks good to eat doesn't mean it is good to eat. Do you know what these berries are? Only I'd like to know if you know, before I try to test a couple things to see what kind of poison it is."

MrE
2014-04-18, 06:07 AM
Juliet strode up to the practice field, sword held loosely in one hand as she thought about the morning's disaster. She had woken to find herself floating two feet above her bed. This was getting out of hand! Luckily no one had been around to see her, or hear her scream of surprise and horror when she woke up.

She had decided to head to the practice field to work out her anxiety with a bit of training and maybe some sparring, but as she reached the field she heard people talking. Marcus, Jill and Wes. Really? I could deal with the first two, but not Wes right now. Turning away she is about to leave when a rogue gust of wind sends two buckets near the field toppling over and making a ridiculously loud amount of noise. Damn!

Looking sheepish Juliet steps back towards the field and stands the fallen buckets up, before heading up to the others who had by now seen her. "Morning," she said, nodding to the three. She then set herself up in a fighting stance and swept her shortsword round in an arc, imagining that she had severed Greyskin's arm. She then moved through her paces, light on her feet blade always moving. She had had no formal instruction, but she had made up for that with a lot of practice. Her moves weren't fancy, but they had a certain grace to them, and her every step and strike was perfectly controlled. She had learned not to swing wildly or lose her head in a fight, and she applied that now, driving all thoughts of her strange powers from her head as she put herself through her paces.

Arcran
2014-04-18, 07:32 PM
Juliet

As you go through your steps a few of the younger children in the camp marvel at your speed and grace. Still, while your finesse and focused movements are impressive the kids are almost constantly looking over your shoulder. After about thirty seconds of this you can't help but overextend on just one last swing to get a better look only to find the METANG just hovering there, almost silent.

Aron requests the presence of Juliet, it says in its flat, monotonic voice before hovering away to do whatever massive flying robot drones do. It doesn't elaborate, doesn't explain itself, simply tells you that you should go see Aron. You can see it go towards Wes, pause, then hover towards Marcus, pause once again, then hover off towards the outskirts of the camp.

Sinclair

Billy looks at you with pitiful eyes as the tent flap, well, flaps open, and an elderly woman strides in hastily, a ladle clutched in her bony hands. You quickly recognize her a Marge, one of the only other people in the camp with medical experience. She raps Tobias on the back of the head as he licks the boys hand, trying to determine the berries from taste alone before leering at Bobby.

"Eatin berries, eh?" she asks, her eyes shooting bullets at Bobby. "And what did I say about that?"

"To not-"

"TO NOT EAT THE DAMN BERRIES IN THE WOODS!" Marge shrieks, rapping Bobby across the knuckles with her ladle. It wasn't anything new; nearly all the small children fled at the sight of Marge but yet they still came to her when they scraped a knee of fell out of a tree. You're loathe to admit it but, frankly, she's probably forgotten more about medicine then you could ever hope to know.

"Sinclair, sweety," she says, all smiles, "The great big hunk o' metal has been floating around asking for you. Wants you to go see Aron. I can handle Bobby, why don't you go ahead and dash on over there," she says, dismissing you with a flick of her hand.

"And remember to use that ointment for your skin!"

"Oh, I think he wanted you too Tobias," she says offhandedly. "Go see Aron."

Marcus

In the future, please either roll in the OoC or edit your post instead of just leaving it in spoilers.

Your sword is just barely to slow and you get a sharp rap to the knee due to it, your legs crumpling beneath you like so much tissue paper. Jill laughs as she offers you an arm, only to step back quickly as a shadow passes over her.

The METANG floats right above where Jill once stood, small camera eyes leering at you from on high.

Aron requests the presence of Marcus, it says in a flat robotic voice before floating off to continue its search for, well, whatever the hell a robot searches for in its spare time.

Tobias

You almost gag as you lick the berries. They were so incredibly bitter that you could hardly fathom how Bobby ate enough to make himself sick. Unless you're mistaken, they seem to just be blueberries that were far from ripe. While it isn't likely to kill Bobby, the amount it seems he ate will probably give him a nasty tummyache for at least the next day, although the blueberries will likely exit his body in a very rapid fashion.

Unfortunately, as you're pondering this you get the sharp rap of a ladle to the back of the head. You head is ringing more than a little from the impact as you turn to see Marge. You can see her speaking but can't quite make out the words until:

"Oh, I think he wanted you too Tobias," she says offhandedly. "Go see Aron."

Wes

Jill rolls her eyes, as always. She didn't waste quite as much time as some of the other girls accommodating your tales. It's a shame; she's really not that bad to look at. You're about to make some witty remark when Jill and Marcus begin sparring. As they do so you hear the slightest buzzing behind you, only to turn to see the giant METANG lurking over you.

Aron requests the presence of Wes, it says in a flat robotic voice before floating off towards Marcus who appears to have fallen upon his ass.

Clara

"Fine," he says, clearly moping.

"That big dumb robot was looking for you earlier," he says as he leaves, guitar held loosely by his side. "Said you were supposed to go see Aron or somethin'."

carnackiArdent
2014-04-18, 09:19 PM
Moping or not, Clara's at least glad he doesn't press the point. Though it sounds like she's getting a little less necessary, since it was hard not to notice Tobias going past and now she can hear Marge yelling in there as well. At least it sounds like Bobby's in good hands.

What Rhys says next makes her turn pale; there's really no way to hide it. Though even as much as she's been avoiding him, he's probably noticed that the METANG scares the living daylights out of her recently."It did?"

She really, really hopes this isn't about what she's afraid it's about. She has a hard time thinking of what else Aron would want to talk to her for, though. Maybe the METANG is smarter than she thought. Either way, though, there's really no avoiding it - if she doesn't go, Aron's just going to send the robot after her again, or come after her himself, and neither one fills her with confidence. Either she meets him and hopes that it's something perfectly innocent, or she runs for it on her own and ensures she's in trouble even if it isn't round two of Aron's Xenophobia Olympics.

At least this way it won't come as a surprise, and maybe she'll have a chance to talk to him. She's not incredibly optimistic about her chances of convincing him to change course, but at least it's a chance. She sighs and rubs her forehead. Nothing for it.

After a moment she calls after Rhys. "Hey, uh. Listen, we'll have that talk tonight, okay? I promise." If I'm still here, she adds to herself, turning to head toward where Aron is doubtless waiting for her.

The Grim Author
2014-04-18, 09:29 PM
Sinclair bit his lip at Marge's insistence. "Yes ma'am." As he walked toward where Aron was probably waiting, he murmured, "There is no way that ointment would ever treat argyria, it's not a thing that can be..." And then he realized that Clara was nearby. That shut him up immediately. He turned to her. "So... Aron wants to talk to you too?" He tried to ignore the fact that she might have heard what he said about argyria. That would only bring questions. Questions he didn't want to answer.

Arcran
2014-04-18, 09:43 PM
Moping or not, Clara's at least glad he doesn't press the point. Though it sounds like she's getting a little less necessary, since it was hard not to notice Tobias going past and now she can hear Marge yelling in there as well. At least it sounds like Bobby's in good hands.

What Rhys says next makes her turn pale; there's really no way to hide it. Though even as much as she's been avoiding him, he's probably noticed that the METANG scares the living daylights out of her recently."It did?"

She really, really hopes this isn't about what she's afraid it's about. She has a hard time thinking of what else Aron would want to talk to her for, though. Maybe the METANG is smarter than she thought. Either way, though, there's really no avoiding it - if she doesn't go, Aron's just going to send the robot after her again, or come after her himself, and neither one fills her with confidence. Either she meets him and hopes that it's something perfectly innocent, or she runs for it on her own and ensures she's in trouble even if it isn't round two of Aron's Xenophobia Olympics.

At least this way it won't come as a surprise, and maybe she'll have a chance to talk to him. She's not incredibly optimistic about her chances of convincing him to change course, but at least it's a chance. She sighs and rubs her forehead. Nothing for it.

After a moment she calls after Rhys. "Hey, uh. Listen, we'll have that talk tonight, okay? I promise." If I'm still here, she adds to herself, turning to head toward where Aron is doubtless waiting for her.

"Fine. Whatever," he mumbles as he walks away, waving with his back turned.

Tybar
2014-04-18, 10:04 PM
Marcus looks up, then grunts, standing slowly, looking first at Jill, then at Wes. Good hits Jill. See you later.

He waits for Wes, a bit quiet, but not unusual at all for him.

Noted, I'll do the OOC thing next time. Thanks!

MrE
2014-04-19, 06:31 AM
Juliet went cold when she saw the METANG hovering above her, its cold and impassive exterior still exuding menace. This can't be good, she thought. But she hadn't gotten this far by worrying about the future. She couldn't ignore a summons from Aron without leaving the group or exposing herself, and since both would likely lead to her sudden death, there wasn't much to lose by walking into the lion's den, so to speak. Sheathing her sword she saw the others also being visited, and frowned slightly. It wouldn't be about her powers if those two were being summoned, that was certain.

Juliet hurriedly skipped ahead so that she didn't have to walk with Wes and Marcus and headed towards Aron's home/workplace.

Hefty Lefty
2014-04-19, 08:25 AM
Wes can't help but laugh again, and applaud the failure of his friend Marcus as he falls on his ass. "Oooo sh*t man she just gave it to ya, man!" As he casually takes another sip of water he look around, and is frozen mid-swallow when he sees the roaming RoboCop METANG question Jules, then make his way to him. Oh sh*t. Wes doesn't exhibit his worry or stand up to meet it. "Watchu want, pig?" If the robot doesn't react to the words he says, he rises despite his feign of defiance. Wes wraps his arm around Marcus after the METANG is done with him as well and starts walking back to the main camp. "You just got saved by the bell, my friend." He looks back over his shoulder to the girl left alone. "'Ey you keep practicin' Jill. My boy's comin' back for round two!"

TwilightKiwi
2014-04-20, 01:22 AM
At first trying to catch up with Sinclair and Clara once he was able to escape Marge's scolding, when Tobias spotted Juliet coming from the field many of the older kids used for training, he quickly scampered over to her and matched her hurried pace. "Hoi, Jules! Got summoned by th' boss all official-like. Buncha folks did by th' looks of it." He realized they were heading in the same direction after a moment. "You too? Figgered maybe I was in trouble at first. Can't fathom what for... haven't done nothin' nearly bad enough poorly enough t' get attention... uh, lately at least, don't gimme that look!" he finished with a raspberry.

The robot had never intimidated Toby much - its AI was simple enough that it was easy to confuse with enough effort, and since it couldn't attack him directly without orders, nor was it the tattling type, he was usually safe from retaliation. He usually left it alone, though, since robots were pretty cool in his book.

Arcran
2014-04-20, 09:31 AM
As the six of you head towards Aron's tent you that Celestia appears to have been summoned as well. She isn't taking the news as well as you lot; while most of you are nervous she is in a nervous breakdown, shaking violently and almost crying. Any attempt to comfort her doesn't particularly help and, if it's Wes, just makes her cry harder.

Soon enough you arrive at Aron's tent. Like almost every tent here, that was a generous use of the term; it was really just a motley collection of tarps haphazardly stitched together and nailed between a few trees. Still, they kept the rain out even if they were a bit ugly and they were considerably easier to pack than a typical tent.

Aron himself is wrapping his shoulder; he'd taken a Machoke spear through it in the last raid and, judging from the smell, it might have gotten a little infected. It hasn't seemed to slow down Aron much though, and judging by the empty bottle of alcohol he's either self-medicating or actually treating to wound. As you come in in groups of twos and threes he waves you towards some stumps that somewhat resemble stumps until the seven of you are all present, Celestia furiously trying to remove the tears and snot from her face.

For a bit Aron just sits there, looking at you with disdain but whether it's for your age, Celestia's blubbering or something else you couldn't possibly know. Finally, after almost a minute of awkward silence the METANG returns, going into a corner and curling its arms under it to go into sleep mode.

Aron stands up, surprisingly quick for his size and grabs a spear, dragging the point across the ground in some sort of pattern.

"I'm sure you all know that things are getting bad around here," Aron says slowly, looking you all over. "Low on weapons. Low on food. And whatever is happening out there is going to be bad," he says, continuing to drag the point of the spear. "This long with no attack could only mean that they're planning something that we are going to be woefully unprepared for."

"Fortunately, I think I may have found our savior," Aron says, flinging a battered and worn book at Juliet. "The METANG were just one of many robotic constructs used in the war. There were the next-to-useless Klinkers, Volt-bombs, and, of course, the Magnetic Assault Units. The latter were programed to mass together near high outputs of electricity. They had very simple AI, barely enough to reason, but could be easily collected and called with a simple generator. We've tried to get some to go into this area but there seems to be something interfering."

At this point Aron steps back, gesturing at the map. "There's a hydroelectric dam up near the Snoqualmie falls," he says, gesturing towards the map, "Just about four miles outside of North Bend. Add in the ten miles to get there and we have about a three day round trip, four if you stay at the dam. Your job is to go to the dam, scout it out and see if there are magnets floating around. Get them to return here by whatever means necessary and hope that we're still around when you get back."

"I wish I could send a few fighters to escort you but, frankly, we need them here if we're attacked," he says, dismissing that question before it's even asked. "I've packed two days of food for each of you; you'll have to find enough out there to compensate. It's all we can spare at the moment. Any questions?"

Throughout the entire speech Aron avoids eye contact with each and every one of you; is it guilt from sending children to do dangerous work or something else?

Tybar
2014-04-20, 09:41 AM
Marcus looks at Aron for a minute, frowning. He knows why they could use those things but..."Why us?"

Arcran
2014-04-20, 09:48 AM
"Because, frankly, you're all we got at this point," he says with a frown. "Most of you should be able to fight well enough to keep away the weaker monsters but you aren't strong enough to make a big enough difference against the greyskins, to put it frankly."

He trails off a bit at the end, implying that there is some other reason that you all were chosen but what that is you can only guess.

TwilightKiwi
2014-04-20, 11:09 AM
The tension and uncertainty in the room was lost on Tobias, far too fidgety to be paying proper attention. Most of what Aron was saying at first went in one ear and out the other... until the subject of robots came up.

"Jules!" he hissed fiercely as Marcus put voice to the concern many of the others were no doubt feeling, leaning over to whisper to the novice swordfighter. "Ju-li-et, he's sendin' us out to snag a buncha robots of our very own!" The boy was quivering with excitement; and in fact, it was a good thing all eyes were focused on Aron at the moment, because behind Toby his shadow was writhing a bit without quite matching up to his own movements.

MrE
2014-04-20, 12:18 PM
Though Juliet didn't appreciate her skills being dismissed, she did see the sense in it: she wasn't as useful in a conventional battle as many of the adults. Not yet at least or without her powers, but she didn't think they would really help her persuade Aron to let her stay.

Anyway, if truth be told, this sounded much more fun! She found she was just as keen to go on this mission as Toby, and though she could control her emotions better, she still shot him a grin and muttered: "I know. Think of the trouble you'll get into with them..." She then gave him a more serious look and shifted her eyes to his shadow, signalling for him to get it under control.

To Aron and the rest of the group, she did her best to sound confident and adult when she said: "Understood, sir. We won't fail the group. We'll bring back these Magnets." If what he said was true, the survival of the group depended on it, and she wasn't about to let them down.

carnackiArdent
2014-04-20, 03:58 PM
Frankly, Clara doesn't notice any subtext to Aron's orders, or his reasons why. She's too busy being relieved she hasn't been found out. She nods sharply in response to his orders, trying to cover it up. "Yes, sir."

She's not wild about a wilderness mission on their own - though having Wes, Juliet, and Marcus around will definitely help - but she really just wants to get out of there as fast as she possibly can. She does make a mental note to talk to Marge and make sure Aron's actually disinfecting that wound and not just drinking to get past the pain, though. She has no idea what will happen to the remnants of their little group if Aron has a breakdown or gets too sick to lead. She may disagree with him, but holding things together comes first.

At any rate, he's right that they could use more defenders, even with the greyskins being quiet - and she has to admit that she's thinking a bit about the possibilities inherent in the Magnetic Assault Units not being under Aron's sole command, though the day she'd even consider putting that into action is a long way off.

The Grim Author
2014-04-20, 06:00 PM
"You can count on us," said Sinclair. He cracked his neck a little and looked at the others. He was fairly certain he'd been chosen so the others didn't die, since the only other medic in the camp was probably needed for the rest of the camp. Plus, this would give him a chance to learn whether he was any closer to... He shut off that train of thought. No use thinking about that at the moment. Later, maybe. Yeah, later.

Tybar
2014-04-20, 07:47 PM
Marcus gives a short nod to this. "What monsters are you expecting?"

Hefty Lefty
2014-04-20, 09:06 PM
Wes can't help but mutter under his breath through Aron's speech. "Damn right things are bad 'round here.... Low food? Try no food...." Wes' contempt for this man is palpable and known by everyone in this room - which makes it all the more curious (and suspicious) why he would ask such a favor, and put such trust, in Wes. He watches Aron draw lines in the dirt, examines the bandages, but is most concerned with Aron's expression. The leader can issue life-threatening orders, but can't make eye contact with Wes - which makes sense, 'cause I'm a bad mo'f*cka and intimidate the sh*t atta him - or anyone else. He doesn't console the crying girl, doesn't inspire confidence in the rest of these kids... what is going on here, behind the curtain?

Wes leans forward on his stump, glaring at Aron and studying him as all the other kids respond first, the whole time fixated on reading his mind. At the end, Wes finally responds in a slow, accusing rant. "Man... someone check a calendar, 'cause it must be April first; you might'a got these kids, but you can't fool me." He stands up to Aron and hopefully catches him now eye-to-eye. Either way, he continues. "There is no way you're serious about this. You're pumpin' these kids' heads," he nods to Tobias and Juliet, "full'a Transformers fantasies when you know you're sending them on a suicide mission. If we can't help defend the village, what makes you think we can last four days on our own? Why me, why him, why her?" He points a finger at the teary-eyed Celestia, then after a moment, brings attention to Aron's wound. "Look... you know what's out there. You know what we're in for. I said this is a suicide mission... look me in the eyes and tell me I'm wrong. C'mon Captain," he says as those the word is venom, "Inspire me."

Arcran
2014-04-20, 10:21 PM
"We haven't seen much lately. Hunters have said something about wolves as big as a horse, but they're probably just lying. If you see greyskins, run. Even though you - just run," he says, beginning one train of thought and swiftly changing to another. "There's some bugs in the woods as well, brown ones about as big as a loaf of bread. Stay away from the damn things; burn you from the inside."

Throughout this he continues to avoid eye contact until Wes begins to speak. At that point his eyes snap right towards the athlete, glaring right at the boy, eyes almost red with hate.

"Suicide mission?" he says, glaring at you. "I never thought the Boy Wonder would be afraid of a little trek through the woods. Isn't that what you do every morning? Run through the woods? Make the girls swoon for your bravery?" he spits, glaring at you. "Well now you can put that big head to use and possibly save everybody and you're too scared?" he says, clearly enraged. "You go around the base acting like you're a man. Now's the time to act it. If you're so worried about everybody surviving, protect them yourselves. You're the most competent group of freak kids in this camp," he says, using a word usually reserved for those that had become a bit to close to the beasts like Stephen. "You have two people that can handle a sword. A girl that can make anything go boom. A prankster, some kid that spends more time in the woods than with people and somebody to stitch you back together. And her," he says, looking at Celestia who is just beginning to clear up a bit, "She can cook. You're a regular Breakfast Club," he says, a reference that none of you understand. It takes a second to realize that he left out Wes for whatever reason. He spits a great red loogey onto the floor, causing the METANG's camera eyes to flash open before returning to sleep. "You're the best we can spare, so make do."

"Now if you're done questioning orders, get your supplies and whatever you want to bring. Meet me at the edge of camp in fifteen minutes; I'll have your food and such. Don't tell anybody you're leaving; we wouldn't want anybody to panic."

Tybar
2014-04-20, 10:27 PM
Marcus frowns a bit at first with the descriptions...then further as Aron goes ballistic.

He eyes the reddish spit...unsure how bad that is, and then nods, standing, hand on the hilt of his sword. "I'll do what is needed, but I trust Wes's call on this."

He turns and leaves, unsure what to make of it all, but figuring more chatter is worthless at this point.

carnackiArdent
2014-04-20, 11:07 PM
Wes's outburst - and even more, Aron's reaction to it - catch Clara by surprise. And very definitely frighten her. She really, really doesn't want to have this argument happening right now. She gets up and reaches out to tug gently at Wes's shoulder. "Wes, please. Don't. Let's just go."

She doesn't elaborate - there's really nothing she could say that would convince herself this is that good an idea, never mind him - but she just doesn't want an argument with Aron, especially right in front of the METANG. She doesn't have an exceptionally high opinion of Aron's stability. Especially not when he's pretty obviously in bad physical shape as well - she knows spitting red is bad news. She definitely needs to tell Marge about this - though doing that with fifteen minutes to pack and without letting her know she's leaving would be tricky.

TwilightKiwi
2014-04-21, 03:17 AM
Tobias watched Wes and Aron's spitting contest with great amusement, unconcerned by any possible ulterior motive on the camp leader's part. It was always fun to watch someone try and stand up to Aron, whether successful or not, though he had to admit he was a little disappointed the METANG hadn't gotten involved. "Say whatcha want about Wes, I gotta admit th' dude's got balls," he chuckled to Juliet. The phrase 'suicide mission' had only gotten him even more pumped up about their assigned task. "C'mon, I gotta grab a couple things b'fore we head outta here!" Snatching at Juliet's sleeve, he tried to drag her out of the tent along with him, motioning for Sinclair to follow as well.

Hefty Lefty
2014-04-21, 06:12 AM
Scared!? The accusation is a shot through the heart for Wes. Scared!? Didn't he listen to what I - How can he - In the rash anger, Wes' mind short fuses and harps on the possibility that Aron thinks he's a coward. "I ain't scared..." he tries to interject during the speech, but Aron's strong force backs him down. I'm worried about these fools, not me. Of course I can handle this. His fist clenches in anger and debates doing something regrettable when the METANG lights up for just a brief second and saves him. Nah, that's what he wants. I'll show this *sshole. I'm not scared. Successfully neutered, at least momentarily, Wes does little but growl before leaving.

Unfortunately, Casey is not around the Czizik bunk area when he goes to retrieve his pack. Wes had the intent to fully disclose everything to the sister he trusts with his life, but with only fifteen minutes there is no time to collect his things, track her down, and have this conversation. It leaves the boy with a deep sickly feeling to keep her in the dark. He swings a worn black backpack over his shoulder and heads to the camp's edge.

MrE
2014-04-21, 06:55 AM
"Balls for brains," Juliet replied, using one of the many insults the kids used back in San Francisco. "Turns out Wes is as much of an idiot to the adults as he is to us." She followed Toby out of the tent and checked her pockets. She had most of her kit, in a pouch around her waist, but if they would be gone for a while she'd pick up her pack and her supplies.

She ducked inside her own tent and picked up her back, already filled with water and food supplies and then picked up some spare batteries for her flashlight just in case. She gave one glance back to the slightly messy tent before heading back out to find out what Toby had managed to get up to. Once they were reunited she headed to the edge of the camp to meet Aron, not wanting to be late.

The Grim Author
2014-04-21, 06:35 PM
Sinclair didn't say anything; the two tempers meeting head-on caused him concern, though. There was obviously something going on here, and it was probably going to only get worse the more often Wes and Aron talked. And success in this endeavor would likely lead to a lot of talking.

Still, Sinclair grabbed his first aid kit and went to the spot where they were to meet Aron. Maybe Mr. Cross was out there, out nearby, waiting to talk to them? That would be nice... it would be good if they could see him again.

Arcran
2014-04-21, 07:20 PM
Soon enough the swift party manages to collect their gear at meet up at the edge of camp, fairly near Aron's tent. Those that likely would have talked to you seem to be busy, making it rather easy for you to get in and out of the camp without any lengthy discussions.

Aron is already waiting by the edge of camp along with his METANG, leaning heavily on a spear. Even from a distance you can make out the monster of a "handgun" he's so fond of; in truth it's a sawed-off shotgun but in Aron's massive hands the tool seems small.

He grunts as you all arrive, shifting his weight to his other leg.

"Two days of food each. You're going to want to head south. Once you find the Snoqualmie river, follow it for about eight miles or so. You should be able to spot what's left of the highway then; follow that into North Bend. Not much is left but you might be able to find supplies. Keep making your way along the river after that and it'll lead you right to the dam. Same way back. Drink the river if you get thirsty; it should be clean enough."

"If you're not back in five days I'll send out a search party," he says, beginning the trek back to his tent, once again spitting out a great loogey. "Try not to die."

The Metang, instead of following, remains behind floating gently in the air.

I will escort you 100 meters or exactly 109.361 yards into the woods, it says in that all-to-familiar robotic voice. We shall depart now.

As Aron leaves Wes feels a cold, clammy hand grab his own; a quick look reveals an obviously distressed Celestia standing next to you, clutching your hand like it's a lifeline keeping her from drowning.

You all receive rations for a Medium-sized creature for two days. That means you have a total of thirty six Medium meals, + the six that Celestia has.

Tybar
2014-04-21, 08:02 PM
Marcus shifts his pack, looking at Aron as he walks away, then to the others, he looks to anyone who is obviously struggling to carry things. "Need a hand?"

He makes sure to move near Wes when he can during the trek. "We'll make it...it's not like Jill is here to trip me." He attempts a joke, smiling at Wes a bit, not as worried with the METANG around for the first leg.

The Grim Author
2014-04-21, 11:47 PM
"I'm good, Marcus... but thank you for offering." Sinclair looked around. Clearly, there had to be some kind of reason that the METANG was going with them even a short distance, but he couldn't figure it out. He sighed. "But that bit about the river water... unless we have the means to make a fire, it'll probably just make us sick. We'd have to boil it to make it drinkable."

He hoped none of them would ask him how he knew that. Then again, he had also hoped that neither of his parents would be turned into grayskins, and look what happened to his dad.

carnackiArdent
2014-04-22, 12:49 AM
Even more so than usual, Clara is glad for how easily portable the chemistry equipment she's managed to scrounge up is. It means she has a way to make things on the trip, assuming they come across enough supplies. Even if the ill-assorted mess of whatever empty bottles are lying around at the time that contains the results of her experiments would make for a bizarre sight for anyone going through her bag. She tries to hastily scribble a note to Marge in the time she has, but trying to do that and gather up her gear doesn't leave a lot of time - she arrives at the meeting place a little out of breath.

She glances at the METANG warily as it says it will escort them. Even more than the thing's sheer presence, that robotic voice gives her goosebumps lately. But she has no concrete reason to think either it or Aron suspects her apart from general paranoia. Then again, she's never been entirely sure how much it can think for itself - military hardware isn't exactly her strong suit, even if the first-person pronouns do kind of imply a bit of self-awareness. She tries to distract herself by keeping the route fixed in her mind - south to the river, eight miles along it, take the highway into town, the river leads right to the dam.

"I can manage. Oh, uh, I've got some of my repellent here," she adds. They almost certainly all know about it by now, the chemicals she has that monsters seem to absolutely hate. "If we run into a really dangerous area, it should help. I only have enough for about three hours, though."

MrE
2014-04-22, 04:57 AM
"I have a filter," Juliet says in response to Sinclair's concern, much to everyone's surprise. "As long as we don't use really filthy water, it should be fine. And I have extra supplies." Juliet had never shown herself to be a skilled survivalist before, except to Toby who knew her from their journey to the camp. She had learnt plenty of these skills before the Light even came. She might not understand how a filter worked, but she knew what the end result was.

Looking at the others as they began setting off, she had a sudden panic: she didn't know how most had arrived here, but by their actions so far, it seemed they may have forgotten some of the lessons of the wilderness. "Guys, before we start we should set out some ground rules." She tried to get the others attention subtly, not wanting to have to yell, which would kind of undermine her next point. "Don't speak in a voice louder than a whisper, keep one eye on the road and the other on the woods. Stick to an order. Wes and Marcus, you at the front. Toby and I will go at the back." SHe loosened her blade in its scabard: she wasn't going to let any of them die on this journey.

Tybar
2014-04-22, 07:33 AM
Marcus nods to Sinclair and Clara when they respond, and at Juliet's idea. He moves up to the front of the group, sword in its familiar spot at his side.

TwilightKiwi
2014-04-22, 01:14 PM
Running back to one of the numerous secret caches he kept around the camp while Juliet gathered her supplies, Toby considered his 'collection' for a moment before grabbing what was most important for a long road trip - a couple scavenged toys and tattered comic books and the last few soda cans from a stash he'd managed to scrounge out of a busted vending machine last time he'd been near North Bend. Stuffing them into his backpack, he hesitated for a moment and, almost as an afterthought, grabbed a roll of bandages and a couple antivenoms he'd nicked from Marge a while back. Thus prepared, he rejoined the group at the edge of the camp, taking up Marcus' offer and letting the older boy carry most of his portion of the rations Aron had granted them. He'd eat less than the rest anyways, so if things got desperate he'd share with Juliet and maybe Sinclair.

"Got some stuff t' add," Tobias tacked on before anyone else could reply to Juliet. "Don't eat nothin' no matter how good it looks b'fore someone else vets it. Don't touch any weird-lookin' plants or rocks. An' if anyone thinks they see or hear somethin' - anything - kinda suspicious, don't ignore it. Say somethin'. Lemme know an' I'll check it out. An' I'm gonna scout around a bit once in a while, make sure there are no surprises." Toby was determined to let nothing sneak up on them on his watch - less out of concern for everyone, and more out of pride in his own skills in front of an audience. It wouldn't do to let something slip past his radar in front of some of the few people whose opinion he actually cared about, let alone Wes and Marcus, who he definitely didn't want to give a reason to think he was incompetent.

"Gonna miss you, big guy," he sighed, patting the METANG unit affectionately, "but we'll be bringin' back some buddies for you!" Adjusting his goggles, Toby took up the rear of their loose formation beside Juliet.

Hefty Lefty
2014-04-22, 04:57 PM
Wes grumbles when he meets with Aron once again. Nice piece, tough guy. What's he gonna do, shoot us if we don't go? Once again, the thought of starting something trickles through the boy's mind as he struggles with fate the captain has assigned him; however this time, the fragile hand of a little girl douses his inner flame. What the... seriously? This girl? She's way too small to be any use out here. She's total dead weight! She's... his eyes fixate on her reddened cheeks fresh from crying, and bubbly eyes ready to erupt again at any moment. She knows this.

"Yeah," Wes looks to his friend Marcus on the right while squeezing Celestia's two small hands with his left. "This won't be a problem at all."

To Juliet's orders, the boy gives a quick reply "Yes, your majesty," and makes his way to the front, still clutching Celestia's hand. "You can walk up here with us," Wes whispers to the little girl as he places her between himself and Marcus and gives Marcus a quick playful shove. "Nothin' gets between us."

Arcran
2014-04-22, 05:21 PM
The group has only been walking for a few minutes before the METANG splits off and heads back to camp. It seems the hundred meters was intended to be an exact measurement.

The trek is fairly uneventful for the first hour; while there is whispered small talk little actually occurs. As you get further and further from the camp traces of civilization rapidly fade away. Gone are the occasional wooden barricades, holes dug that might have once been a hunter's stash and snares meant to slow attacking greyskins down. Fortunately Tobias knows where most of these are and you're able to avoid them without any major detours or incidents.

Soon enough even the faint trails that Wes and the hunters used have faded almost completely away, leaving nothing but the wilderness. The world has changed; trees are more knotted and thicker than they have ever been before. The undergrowth is almost up to your knees in places, making the travel slow and difficult. However, what really strikes you is the silence; whereas once in the Pacific Northwest there would be constant sounds of nature, whether it be birds, bugs or frogs, that is now almost nonexistent. While the animals are still there, natural selection made a great deal of removing those that made too much noise.

After about an hour the party has made about as good of progress as they could hope; by Tobias' best estimate they are about a third of the way to the river. Throughout the whole time Celestia has been sticking very close to Wes and has actually done a very good job of stopping her erratic sobs and, for the most part, seems to be more or less alright.

As you walk slowly through the woods you see a dark shape hanging on a branch up above. It's almost completely still; if you'd have to hazard a guess it's some huge bird, easily taller than some of the shorter of you.

You're able to make out some of the finer details of the bird quite easily; it looks similar to what an owl did but so much monstrously larger that it hardly resembles it. The brown feathers make it difficult to see in the thick foliage above but it seems to be asleep.
This create has actually been seen multiple times by the people around camp. They've been seen flitting above or around on many occasion. Anybody who has attempted to either catch or confront the creature has been found unconscious but unharmed the next day. They are generally considered to be harmless despite their great size.

Stealth checks please!

Tybar
2014-04-22, 08:15 PM
Marcus Shares a few stories, quietly, with Wes and Celestia throughout the trip, mostly to keep the girl calmer. He may not be good at it, but it's obvious he's trying.

Unfortunately, he tends to not be so great with paying attention to his footing...

[roll0]

carnackiArdent
2014-04-22, 09:30 PM
Clara never really got much in the way of lessons of the wilderness - she was lucky enough to find a group right away that would eventually be absorbed into Cross's. Which is good, because she has little to nothing in the way of her own survival skills. Juliet's instructions may be a little overbearing, but being instructed - and occasionally shouted at - is basically the only way she's still alive.

The marching order has an obvious gap in it, so she settles into the middle. She has one of her acid flasks in her pocket, in relatively easy reach. It's really the closest to an actual weapon she has, after all. Though obviously she hopes they don't get into a fight, it seems like it's inevitable.

At least she isn't alone. Still, even with everyone around her, she feels vulnerable out here. And sadly, she's just about as observant as she always is, wrapped up in her worries just as surely as she usually is in her research.

TwilightKiwi
2014-04-23, 02:38 AM
"Everybody, shush!" Tobias hissed suddenly, a little too loudly in his excitement despite his own advice to the contrary. Coming to a complete stop, he made sure he had the group's attention, holding a finger to his lips as he pointed out a motionless silhouette in the trees ahead. "Big bird," he mouthed silently.

The reality of the situation was upon them - confronted now with the possibility of a real monster, something more familiar and yet just as alien as the greyskins, and certainly with as much potential for danger. Tobias found his enthusiasm not waning in the slightest.

MrE
2014-04-23, 04:12 AM
Juliet noticed the bird just a second before Toby hissed loudly, and she didn't have an opportunity to quieten him. Watching it carefully in case Toby's warning had alerted it, she drew her sword.

Tybar
2014-04-23, 08:10 AM
After hearing Tobias, Marcus's hand blurs, drawing his steel and shifting to block more of Celestia from the shape.

Arcran
2014-04-23, 08:45 AM
As the group halts, the presence of the bird now known, they make perhaps a bit too much noise. Maybe it was Tobias's whisper, maybe the sound of a sword being drawn or maybe just sheer dumb luck, but the bird is awake. With a speed that is more than a little frightening the group can make out the head spin around at breakneck speed while the body stays completely stationary, massive yellow eyes opening, huge eyes that glow faintly red glaring down at the group as the bird remains on its perch on high. After the uncanny head turn the beast remains stationary, just staring.

Behind Celestia whimpers quietly.

Tybar
2014-04-23, 09:36 AM
Marcus stares back, not moving, breathing slowly, controlled.

carnackiArdent
2014-04-23, 11:29 AM
Clara appears to be biting her lip and attempting to hold perfectly still. Not that it's really doing a lot of good when the bird seems to be looking right at them. The thing is bigger than she is. How is that tree even holding it? Did the trees mutate, too? Do they have to worry about mutant trees now?

She really wishes she hadn't thought about that in the middle of the forest, but somehow it's still better than thinking about the giant owl monster with its head turned all the way around looking right at her.

Hefty Lefty
2014-04-23, 12:35 PM
Wes is most likely the last to stop and see the owllike creature glaring through the branches. He does his best to stop quickly, but can't help but crunch leaves and old grass beneath his sneakers. He joins the group in forming awkward mid-movement poses before whispering out the side of his mouth, "...now what?"

MrE
2014-04-23, 01:42 PM
"Now what?" Wes whispered. That is a really good question, Juliet thought. She had stood there frozen with the rest of them.

"Wait..." she hissed back, barely daring to make a sound. She then gestured with her hand to go backwards, trying to make it as small a movement as possible, and slowly took a step away from the creature. "slowly."

[roll0]

TwilightKiwi
2014-04-23, 08:23 PM
"We're already spotted," Tobias whispered back resignedly, "don't think sneakin's gonna do us much good at this point. Just... try not t' startle it... Let's backtrack a bit an' give it a wide berth this time." The boy tensed as he began slowly shifting back without fully taking his eyes off the bird, ready for a fight but hoping to avoid one. He continued, only loud enough for Juliet to hear. "Can't say I know much about birds, but maybe th' bright eyes mean it's nocturnal an' it's too sleepy t' bother with us now?" He paused, tilting his head in consideration. "Then again, could also mean it shoots laser beams from 'em or somethin', I s'pose." He seemed more excited by the second prospect than hopeful for the first.

Arcran
2014-04-23, 08:48 PM
Throughout this all the bird continues to stare at you, never blinking. The huge yellow eyes have an oddly hypnotic trait if one stares too long but the bird has not made a single movement, hostile or otherwise.

Tybar
2014-04-23, 09:25 PM
Marcus nods at the suggestion to backtrack, taking a half step back, moving his eyes to the bird's beak, trying not to fall into the trap of its eyes.

The Grim Author
2014-04-23, 10:38 PM
Sinclair, who had been quiet up to this point, began walking backwards, trying to not look it in its hypnotic eyes. Its large, round, hypnotic eyes... the eyes that were so... inviting...

Sinclair stopped in his tracks. The others would probably notice it quickly. Hopefully.

Arcran
2014-04-24, 11:29 AM
As Sinclair stares into the giant owl's eyes, he finds himself slowly becoming drowsy. Fortunately, Sinclair got a good night's rest the day before and is able to resist falling asleep.

carnackiArdent
2014-04-24, 11:31 AM
Clara tries to tear her own eyes away from the bird's gaze, following the others' lead in edging away. Thankfully, concentrating on keeping her own mind under control is something she's good at.

Perhaps if they don't make any sudden movements they'll be fine. She wonders vaguely what normal owls eat; maybe they're still too big for it to bother with.

Hefty Lefty
2014-04-24, 12:11 PM
Wes locks eyes with the giant owl, following its pupils exactly to estimate and anticipate its next movements. He doesn't realize, however, that he has fallen directly into its trap. Wes feels his body weaken, knees shake, and eyelids go heavy. Before he realizes what is happening, he drops to the ground face first in a deep, unnatural slumber.

Arcran
2014-04-24, 12:30 PM
Despite Wes falling unconcious the bird continues to simply stare.

MrE
2014-04-24, 01:11 PM
Seeing Wes slump like that surprised Juliet and she glanced around for other dangers to see what felled him. She nodded to Toby: "Yeah, if it isn't attacking us now, even with easy meat like Wes, we might be safe. Someone, grab him and let's go." Juliet started to move faster and with less concern for stealth, but she didn't move far from the group.

Tybar
2014-04-24, 02:59 PM
Marcus sheathes his sword, then grips Wes and pulls him up. I've got him. Let's go.

He takes a few steps with the rest of the group, still wary, and not afraid to drop Wes to get to his sword.

Arcran
2014-04-24, 03:21 PM
As Juliet and Marcus (and his heavy load) walk forward the great bird continues to stare at the party but does not make any hostile actions or, well, move at all.

Tybar
2014-04-24, 03:51 PM
Marcus continues walking, making sure to keep Wes and himself between the bird and Celestia, debating how best to use his friend as a club.

carnackiArdent
2014-04-24, 08:36 PM
Clara follows Marcus and Juliet's lead, edging away from the bird cautiously, keeping her eyes on its wings, its talons - anywhere except its face. Light as she may be, they really don't need to be dragging her as well. Besides, being dragged through the woods is seldom an enjoyable experience.

The Grim Author
2014-04-25, 12:43 AM
SInclair shook himself out of it and followed the others. "I bet it's hungry..." He paused, then turned to Toby. "...I almost want to try and tame it. D'you think that'd be possible?"

Arcran
2014-04-25, 01:38 AM
The bird continues to watch, head turning eerily around a completely still body to always watch the party.

With a jolt Wes wakes up from a vivid dream involving two great bottomless yellow pits that glowed fainly red only to find himself slowly being carried by Marcus.

Behind, Celestia has yet to move, simply staring at the bird in both awe and fear.

TwilightKiwi
2014-04-25, 01:40 AM
Distracted by trying very hard not to laugh long and loud at Wes, Toby boggled at Sinclair's suggestion, completely taken off guard and utterly amazed that he hadn't thought of it himself. "... I dunno?" he finally murmured after a long, pensive stretch. "I mean I s'pose folks useta have like, pets, right? Cats an' dogs an' the like. Havin' a pet monster trained t' fetch an' stuff'd be pretty sweet. Maybe it could even have a showdown with Big Meta! But, ah, guessin' you never tried somethin' like that b'fore. Can't say I got a lotta faith you'd manage t' pull it off afore it ate your brain or somethin'. Seems kinda suicidal, an' you know that's sayin' a lot comin' from me. Maybe if we could find a smaller one..." He glanced back at the bird, careful not to look it in the eyes. "You wanna try feedin' it, bet it's like t' take your hand off. 'Sides, not like we got food t' spare." Still, it was obvious the boy was attracted to the idea.

Still watching the bird, he suddenly realized that, with the fuss over Wes, the youngest girl in their group had been forgotten; she was still frozen like a deer in headlights. "Hey!" he stage-whispered to get the attention of the bigger kids now that Wes was rousing, jerking his head back in Celestia's direction.

MrE
2014-04-25, 04:14 AM
Juliet had mostly managed to suppress her anxiety, and though her heart was beating fast, she was focusing her attention on protecting the group, watching for signs of danger and being ready to leap to their defense should the bird attack. She continued to move with the group, but paused when she saw Celestia wasn't moving. Damn it! she cursed inwardly. She paused and waited to see if the girl would respond to Toby's cry, hoping that she wouldn't have to go back and get her.

Hefty Lefty
2014-04-25, 06:01 AM
Wes wakes quickly in a sweat and wriggles out of the grips of his captors. Only after he shakes their grasp does he realize they were friends helping him. "Holy sh*t!" It takes him a few seconds to get his feet out from under him, and a few vigorous blinks to get his eyes and mind focusing right again. "Man let's get the f*ck atta here," Wes says to no one in particular as he makes his way quickly forward. He appears visibly shaken and has forgotten to keep his voice at whisper.

Tybar
2014-04-25, 07:39 AM
Marcus, at the front of the group, keeps the bird in sight, and heads back for Celestia, prepared to pick her up and drag her if need be. He is moving deliberately, but not as slowly, figuring by now the bird would have done something at all of the jerky movements.

Arcran
2014-04-25, 01:45 PM
The bird continues to watch, head turning methodically to continue to watch Marcus.

As soon as Marcus gets near Celestia snaps out of it hurries to catch up with the group, instantly going to Wes and grabbing his hand again.

"Can we leave?" she whispers, quickly glancing to and from the bird. "Those eyes creep me out."

The bird, true to its nature, continues to stare. It has yet to blink.

Tybar
2014-04-25, 02:09 PM
Marcus nods absently at her comment, moving back to the front of the line and leading the way further into the wilderness, trusting the others to keep some eye on the bird as he watches forward, through the foliage.

MrE
2014-04-25, 03:48 PM
Juliet moves to full speed, not halting until she's out of sight of the bird, and hurrying the others along with her.

Hefty Lefty
2014-04-25, 04:36 PM
The group speeds up, and Wes can't be happier with their decision to ignore the bird. Dizzying spots and stars still drift in and out of his vision as he clutches Celestia's hand tight and hurries her along through the weeds, but not before pushing his luck one final time. "Man, f*ck you bird!" He yells at the massive owl which nearly matches his height. He'd admit only in his head that his bravado has returned mostly because of the owl monster's generosity; if it had wanted to kill Wes, it would have already done so.

Tybar
2014-04-25, 06:35 PM
Marcus idly cuffs Wes on the shoulder for that comment, but gives a half-smile after.

carnackiArdent
2014-04-25, 08:55 PM
Clara has to admit she's somewhat relieved that the others look after Celestia so readily - it makes her feel better about the chances of her receiving the same treatment if she needs it, despite her pharmaceutical skills being her only real useful talent.

She shakes her head as she hurries along with the group, pulling her hat down a little more firmly. She really doesn't want to think about that.

Arcran
2014-04-28, 01:29 AM
As the party passes the great bird it finally breaks its stare, turning away to preen itself as the group fades into the distance.

The group has walked for nearly two more hours in relative silence before anything of note happens. The occasional whispered word or the frantic cry of some distant creature is all the group hears for quite some time but it is smell, not sound, that gets the attention of the group.

As the group makes nearly the halfway point to the river the unmistakable and all-too-familiar stench of a rotting body hits the group like a sledgehammer. It seems to be coming some way to the left but, if the smell is anything to go by, there's nothing living there. Whatever it was it must have been large to create such a stench.

Celestia quickly covers her mouth, gagging from the smell. She turns away, positively green.

"Can we hurry? I think I may puke."

Very faintly the sounds of whimpering can be made out. Unless you're mistaken, they seem to be coming from the same direction as the stench. However, at this distance it's impossible to make out who or even what the whimpers belong to.

TwilightKiwi
2014-04-28, 03:29 AM
"Hold up a sec," Tobias murmured, his brow furrowed as he pinched his nose. "I can hear somethin' alive over where that collosal stink's comin' from. Like someone's hurt or in trouble..." He paused, remembering the eerie bird. "Or, some thing, I s'pose, but... don't really feel right ignorin' it. Think I'm gonna sneak over an' take a look right quick. Watch my back." With practiced ease he melted into the underbrush, approaching the scene cautiously.

MrE
2014-04-28, 05:01 AM
Juliet notes the sound as well, and when Toby slinks into the shadows, Juliet follows him. Though less practiced than Tobias clearly is, she makes sure to tread as lightly as possible almost seeming to float along behind the ghost-boy. If someone was out here then they ought to help them.

Tybar
2014-04-28, 08:38 AM
Marcus halts when the other two go in the other direction. he can't detect anything, but trusts that the others' senses.

He reaches into his pack and digs out a bit of cloth for Celestia, handing it to her. "To breathe through."

The Grim Author
2014-04-28, 09:54 AM
Sinclair, on the other hand, doesn't even hesitate when he hears the whimpering. After a few moments of focusing himself in case he needs to fight, he dashes toward where the sound is coming from.

Binding 2 AP to give a +1 to Body.

Hefty Lefty
2014-04-28, 11:57 AM
Wes doubles over in the stench and stretches his shirt above his nose to cope with the powerful smell. "Wooo sh*t what the hell is *ack* that!?" Through his rambling and gyrations, he doesn't notice half the party has left until the last one disappears through the bushes. Not wanting to be left alone in the retched stink, he follows them quickly. Wes grabs Celestia by the hand and tugs her along if she is still by his side at the time

Tybar
2014-04-28, 12:02 PM
Marcus heads in behind Wes then, motioning for anyone else remaining behind.

carnackiArdent
2014-04-28, 02:36 PM
On the one hand, Clara would normally be perfectly happy to follow Marcus's gesture and stay here and let the others investigate the whimpering she can't hear in the direction of the awful stink. On the other, though...

"Really?" she hisses at Marcus. "You seriously expect me to stay over here by myself?" Not having everybody investigate she can understand, but when everyone else has already left it seems kind of pointless for just one of them to remain behind. Especially when it's her. So she'll trail after him regardless, straining her ears to hear whatever it is is drawing the others on.

Tybar
2014-04-28, 02:42 PM
Marcus looks a bit sheepish when she says something. "Wrong hand sign, sorry."

carnackiArdent
2014-04-28, 02:44 PM
"Oh." And now Clara looks embarrassed about getting upset over nothing. She tugs her cap down a little farther, trying to hide behind the brim as she follows him.

TwilightKiwi
2014-04-28, 03:38 PM
When Juliet joined him, Tobias made no protest; he trusted her not to make any stupid mistakes. But when everyone else barreled after them with no concern for subtlety, Toby rolled his eyes in exasperation. "What part'a 'gonna scout ahead' was too complicated for 'em t' grasp?" he chuckled to Juliet under his breath, electing to remain hidden and observe for the moment in case things went south. At least the rest of the group provided a handy distraction, making it that much less likely something dangerous would notice Toby right away, and hopefully give him a chance at surprise.

MrE
2014-04-28, 04:18 PM
Juliet nodded, grinning at Toby. Clearly the others would not be taking orders from him, and they'd probably ignore her as well: she wasn't the most authoritative character, and her softly spoken nature and slender frame made it hard for her to boss around the older boys. She joined Toby in hiding as they approached the noise.

Arcran
2014-04-28, 05:24 PM
As the group trudges through the underbrush the source of the smell comes nearer and nearer as the stench becomes more and more foul until finally it's almost enough to make the collective group puke. It isn't for a few minutes until they find the source.

A massive creature, at least the size of a horse, lying dead on the ground, nestled securely under some tree roots. The beast would not be nearly so terrifying if not for the fact that it is quite clearly a dog or wolf of some kind only so monstrously huge to hardly resemble one anymore. The fur is thick and matted with blood, the original color of the beast impossible to guess. It could have been brown, gold, black or even white for all that is distinguishable at this point. The method of its death is quite clear; dozens of barbs, perhaps six inches long, are imbedded in the hide of the beast. The flesh instead of decaying at a normal rate seems to have become liquid in some places; perhaps poison or acid were at play?

However, the most interesting part is not the dead creature but the five small alive ones scurrying about, eyes barely open. Their hides are a wide range of colors. They nuzzle the dead creature, either trying to get food from it or wake it. The beasts have clearly been at it for some time; they're emaciated, clearly not having eaten for quite some time. They are covered in blood and the decaying flesh of the beast they stumble about. They occasionally make a sharp whimpering noise at the beast, each shrill and loud. It's a wonder that a predator has yet to find them.

They hardly seem to have noticed you despite your stomping about through the forest. They each have a slight different coat; one is a simple dull brown, (http://imgur.com/DKvPKAi,ldoiOot,qjcqmHQ,hFNTA6x,QLdC7cz#3)another slightly darker, (http://imgur.com/DKvPKAi,ldoiOot,qjcqmHQ,hFNTA6x,QLdC7cz#1)one almost gold, (http://imgur.com/DKvPKAi,ldoiOot,qjcqmHQ,hFNTA6x,QLdC7cz#2)one a deep ruddy red (http://imgur.com/DKvPKAi,ldoiOot,qjcqmHQ,hFNTA6x,QLdC7cz#4)and the last black as night. (http://imgur.com/DKvPKAi,ldoiOot,qjcqmHQ,hFNTA6x,QLdC7cz#0)

Celestia looks at the beast in horror, quickly turning around to avoid the sight of it.

Tybar
2014-04-28, 05:29 PM
Marcus stops at the sight of this, frowning as he guesses the pups nuzzle at the dead...monster. He feels a twinge of something, likening them to some of the orphans he's seen...he looks to the others, clearly not quite sure what to do about a threat that is child-like, but will probably turn into whatever that was later.

"They're...really small."

MrE
2014-04-28, 06:02 PM
"Whatever you're thinking right now, just don't," Juliet quickly says to Toby before he can do anything stupid. Noting an absence of danger, Juliet stepped out of her hiding place and rejoined the group.

"They're...really small."

"Yeah, but they aren't normal Marcus. They're touched by the Light. They're not animals, they're monsters." One of Juliet's friends back in the city had had a pet mouse. She'd kept it even after the world was ending and he'd been like a mascot for the gang for a while. That was until the Light came and he gnawed off half the girl's face. Juliet had put it down herself.

She did notice the irony of her words, that she was also touched, but she wasn't about to show weakness or pity to these creatures, not if it might give her away. Anyway they'd grow up and terrorise the group if she didn't do something now.

She took a step towards them, sword drawn.

Tybar
2014-04-28, 06:12 PM
Marcus frowns at that. "What about Stephen?"

He looks at Juliet, never great at assessing motives, but putting out the question as bluntly as possible.

MrE
2014-04-28, 06:21 PM
Juliet paused and pursed her lips. "Stephen's different. You know that. He was a man, not a greyskin. Not one of these creatures." Even as she said it she knew Marcus had a point. Light's sake, she'd known it before. "This isn't about him, or what happened to some people. We have to protect the camp. They're going to grow up and become just as dangerous as this creature. We should kill them and get out of here. It's what needs to be done." By this point Juliet was struggling to keep in control, and both her hands were shaking with fear, sadness and anger.

The Grim Author
2014-04-28, 06:21 PM
"Yeah... they may be touched by the Light, but... that doesn't make them evil. They... they look like... they might be babies." Sinclair knelt down and reached into his pack, grabbing a small bit of food (a small bit of bread) and putting it in his hand. "Hey... hey, little guys... I have food."

Hefty Lefty
2014-04-28, 06:26 PM
Wes and Juliet think alike as he picks up a nearby rock with both hands. One of the smaller kids might have had trouble with it, but Wes raises it above his head with relative ease.

"We should kill them and get out of here. It's what needs to be done."

The boy nods to Juliet, then turns to the group. "We've all seen things this size tear sh*t up. Don't get soft, guys." They are really small though...no. I bet the red one breathes fire. No f*cking way. Wes looks back to the swordswoman with the rock high above his head. "Just say the word, J."

Arcran
2014-04-28, 07:22 PM
As the group gets closer to the pups they finally take notice, most quickly backing away. Only the black and the red stand their ground, hackles instantly raising at the foreign Trainers who keep edging closer. However, it's not those two but the gold who approaches, going up to Sinclair with a sort of stupid trust plastered across its face, sniffing eagerly at the bread and snatching it off Sinclair's hand before dashing back behind the bigger red and black.

The Grim Author
2014-04-28, 07:45 PM
Sinclair slowly approaches the three of them, holding out his open hands and keeping his eyes down. Eye contact could probably be a bad idea, and he had to be non-threatening. Once he's slightly closer, he reaches into his pack again and breaks off another bit of bread. "I'm not going to hurt you." He does his best to keep his face somewhere between neutral and friendly, but since they're growling and baring their teeth, he's not going to show his teeth... they'd probably think it a threat.

Tybar
2014-04-28, 07:53 PM
Marcus watches, curious, but doesn't move yet, standing his ground across from the pups. "At least they're brave."

TwilightKiwi
2014-04-28, 08:27 PM
At the sight of the pups, Tobias stood straight up, Juliet's instant reflex to reign him in barely faster than his own reaction. "Awww, but Juuuuuuules, me an' Sinclair were just talkin' about if we found a smaller beastie..." The boy's eyes were wide as saucers at the his luck on being given this task - he might get a pet robot AND monster both out of the deal at this rate. All thoughts of caution - let alone the massive rotting carcass - were suddenly far from his mind. "Look, that one's friendly enough. Bet we could teach it some tricks." He glanced at Wes disapprovingly. "Use your head, dude, we gotta keep at least one'a the little fiends alive. Y'know. For science."

As the one Sinclair fed scampered back, Toby sized up the more defensive pair before him, approaching slowly with arms crossed and a discerning glare. "Me, I like th' cut'a these two. Either brave enough t' stand up to a pack'a folks bigger'n they are, or honest enough not t' play at innocent helplessness. Dependin' on just how monster-like they really are." He crouched a few feet away from them, pulling back his goggles before shuffling through his backpack. "Think you're pretty tough guys, huh? Betcha didn't count on having t' deal with...this!" Toby pulled his secret weapon triumphantly from a side pocket and waggled it enticingly - one of his 'treasures,' a dilapidated old tennis ball.

Arcran
2014-04-28, 09:57 PM
The red and black continue to snarl as Sinclair gets closer and the two browns shy closer to the mother. The golden, on the other hand, seems eager to get some more bread but a quick snap from the red puts the golden back behind. The golden jumps on top of the red and soon the two are rolling about, nipping at one another and snarling in a way that is far from menacing.

The black tries to continue its vigil but decides against it, slowly inching forward, sniffing rapidly as it looks at Sinclair's outstretched hand. However, as Tobias raises the ball the black quickly backs away, obviously expecting an attack of some sort. The two browns dash behind the corpse, trying to put some distance between them. The golden and the red continue to wrestle, oblivious to what is going on.

Hefty Lefty
2014-04-28, 10:31 PM
Wes brings the rock to tucked underneath his arm - this is a bad idea, but it's not like I'm gonna throw this with Sinclair right there... Instead he shifts his attention to Juliet again; while before, he was looking for a signal to attack, his expression now pleads for her to drive some sense into the two boys, since it doesn't look like they'll pay much attention to him. Despite his caution, the innocence of the pups is quickly wearing on Wes' inspiration to attack: So if these are dogs the light touched... maybe they still act like dogs...just, ya know, with f*cked up superpowers... The two wrestling pups especially catch Wes' eye. Eager, tough, playful dogs - that's what he would've wanted in a pet, had he been born into a world which allowed such fantasies.

The Grim Author
2014-04-28, 10:41 PM
Sinclair kept holding out the piece of bread. "C'mon, little guy. You should really eat something. Your friend tried some, and he liked it. I bet you'll like it too." He turned to look at the others briefly. "We should probably take care of these little guys... I bet that's their mom." He turned back to the dog-thing. "They're orphans." The "Just like me" was left implied.

TwilightKiwi
2014-04-29, 12:08 AM
"Obviously you never got t' play b'fore," Tobias sighed dramatically at the black pup's reaction. "Or you'd know what this's for." He'd never had a dog as a kid, but he knew plenty about what they were supposed to like from reading comics. And however freakish these things were, they sure looked like some sort of mutant dogs.

Ignoring the foul taste, Toby managed to grip the ball in his teeth, shaking his head back and forth to demonstrate. Spitting it out, he held it out slowly for the canine to smell, then juggled the ball a few times, tossing it higher each time and laughing as he tried to catch it. Then, finally, he looked back to the dog that was still confronting him, then tossed the ball off to the side, careful to aim its arc so that it was far from being directed right at any of the dogs, sending it bouncing merrily into the bushes. "Fetch?"

Arcran
2014-04-29, 12:26 AM
The dog instead shies away, clearly scared of the ball and Toby by extension.

TwilightKiwi
2014-04-29, 12:49 AM
"Hmmmm." Obviously Toby's approach wasn't working; this thing had likely never seen a human, after all. Leaving the ball where it landed, he decided to take a page out of Sinclair's book, fishing out a chunk of dried meat (at least, it claimed to be) rations and breaking off a bite for the dog. "Sorry 'bout that. See look, I vanquished th' evil ball! Peace offering?"

MrE
2014-04-29, 06:02 AM
Juliet watched the proceedings with a growing sense of despair. The animals were cute, and she would like to allow herself to befriend one of them. But there was danger here, and she couldn't lose her head. "Guys, can't you see the danger here? We're out on a mission and you're playing with these dogs! Toby, a moment ago you were sneaking here, and now you're throwing a ball around and talking. We have to be careful." She had quickly realised she wouldn't find it half as easy to kill these pups now as she had first hoped, but still, this was just plain reckless. "What if the creature that did this comes back? Or something else? Clara, Celestia, you know I'm right. Help me talk some sense into these idiots."

Tybar
2014-04-29, 06:18 AM
Marcus rummages around in his pack for a scrap of food, then leans down roughly in front of the scared ones (reminding him of some of the kids he'd met), and offers his hand with the treat, holding very still. "We may need help, if what Wes said about Aron was true."

Arcran
2014-04-29, 09:16 AM
The black eyes Tobias with no small degree of aprehension but, at the offer of food, rapidly dashes forward to snatch the food, so eager to eat that it accidently bites Tobias slightly, needle-like teeth drawing blood.

The two browns keep their distance from Marcus, shying closer to the corpse, pieces of rotten flesh falling away as they push backwards.

Celestia looks at Juliet, clearly scared. "I agree with Juliet. Something killed this monster. What if it's still here, waiting for us?"

As you play with the puppies a nearby bush shakes ever so slightly, giving away the location of something.

You are not alone.

The Grim Author
2014-04-29, 11:20 AM
"If whatever did this comes back, then..." Sinclair swallowed, but shook his head. "If it comes back, I'll fight it. I'm not abandoning these little guys." He looked over at the bush that was shaking. "And if whatever is in that bush did it..."

Tybar
2014-04-29, 11:28 AM
Marcus sets down the food and backs away, letting the pups have it, then turns to Sinclair after he speaks.

"What bush?"

MrE
2014-04-29, 12:12 PM
"There!" Juliet said, pointing at the bush whilst she spun her sword into a ready position. "You can stop playing now and get ready to fight." If there was no further movement from whatever was in the bush, Juliet began to approach it, slowly.

Hefty Lefty
2014-04-29, 12:15 PM
The support for attacking the dog-creatures is quickly waning. Wes shrugs towards Juliet; it appears their pleadings are falling on deaf ears. Still, Wes stands at the ready until Marcus speaks up.

"We may need help, if what Wes said about Aron was true."

"Sh*t man, you're right..." Marcus apparently knows just which strings to pull to convince his friend. Anything that inspires proving Aron wrong or taking him down is going to pull Wes to the hot-headed athlete to that side. "Big Chief hides behind his METANG. If we can trust these little things to fight for us..." he starts, as if it were his unique idea being voiced for the first time. His thought his interrupted by Sinclair addressing the rumbling ferns.

"If it comes back, I'll fight it. I'm not abandoning these little guys." He looked over at the bush that was shaking. "And if whatever is in that bush did it..."

The adrenaline rush of pre-battle has been rising and falling with every snapping twig over the past few hours. Once again, with something new approaching, everyone's hearts race. Wes brings the rock above his head again, ready to hurl it at anything aggressive. He instinctively and subconsciously places himself between the pups and the young girls in the group as he takes his stance next to Juliet.

Tybar
2014-04-29, 12:25 PM
Marcus moves up to cover Wes's flank, hand on his hilt, eyes narrowed.

carnackiArdent
2014-04-29, 12:36 PM
Clara's been hanging back fearfully this whole time, obviously unsure what to think about these dogs. On the one hand, they are the Light's creatures, and, rationally, she knows that if they leave them alone they'll grow up to be predators - probably even a pack.

But when Marcus brings up Stephen, she completely and utterly fails to hide how much of an impression it makes. She looked up to Stephen, and the argument is exactly the same one she's been having with herself for ages. If being touched by the light makes something a monster, what did that make Stephen? What does that make her?

Sinclair pointing out that the dogs - the puppies, really - are obviously orphans doesn't help her resolve any. "Things this size can be dangerous, but they're obviously babies. They're not much of a threat to anyone yet. I'm not saying we should adopt them or anything, but we don't need to kill them now. They probably won't last long without - without a mother." She's speaking quietly to start with, and her voice just gets softer and softer over the course of that last sentence.

She thinks Marcus is right about needing the help, too - if they can be trained, they're another way to keep everybody safe. But then, she thinks the same thing about the empowered people. But she's going for a somewhat more moderate point of "don't slaughter puppies" and is afraid openly agreeing with that might undermine her. She usually trusts Juliet's judgment, but she's just not sure what to think.

She doesn't hear anything particular from the bushes, but she'll trust Sinclair and Juliet's senses. She's grateful for the discussion to be tabled for now, even in the face of an actual threat (or potential threat). She turns toward the bushes, but hangs back, stepping a little closer to Celestia. If whatever's in the bushes manages to get past the others, she can at least throw acid in its face.

Arcran
2014-04-29, 01:29 PM
As everybody approaches the bush an almost white dog with faintly red eyes (http://arcran.wdfiles.com/local--files/start/Silvery%20Lillipup%20big.png) comes out, sniffing the ground silently. If it hadn't brushed against the bush so heavily you doubt you would have heard it; even the sniffing is barely audible. It is noticeably better fed than the others, a little flesh actually clinging to its bones. As it nears the red and gold pups they shy away, giving the white on space. It seems even among orphans it is an outcast.

When it sees the group it sits down on its haunches, looking wordlessly at the group.

Tybar
2014-04-29, 03:08 PM
Marcus relaxes his grip on his sword, looking at the various pups and back the way they came. "We should convince them fast, if we are."

TwilightKiwi
2014-04-29, 06:23 PM
"Oi, quite a set'a biters you got there!" Tobias yelped appreciatively, sucking absently at his nicked finger as he tried to entice the dog to come back. He heard the rustling in the bushes, but was too focused on the task at hand to pay it much attention, particularly since others in the group had already pointed it out and prepared for it. But when it proved to be another dog, he was duly impressed by its stealthiness. "Right sneaky pup, arn'cha?" he grinned, breaking of another couple chunks and offering one in each hand to the black and white ones. "Did Dark Lord Bouncyball attract your attention? Or you just lookin' for a snack, too?"

The older kids were still debating on what to do with the baby monsters, but popular opinion seemed to be shifting towards Toby and Sinclair's camp. "Look at it this way, fellas. What we really got here, is a bona fide golden opportunity t' make sure nobody in camp pushes us around ever again. I'd say it's worth th' risk."

MrE
2014-04-30, 06:41 AM
Juliet sighed audibly when the small white pup came out of the bush. She turned to the others: Marcus wanted to keep one, so did Sinclair, and obviously Tobias did, no surprises there. But even Wes seemed to be coming round to the idea, and Clara definitely opposed killing them. But Juliet didn't want a weapon to overthrow Aron: she feared him, but with Stephen gone they needed his strength to survive. Unlike the others, she didn't need a monster to be stronger than Aron, or at least she wouldn't when she let her powers out fully. Keeping these pups would be purely selfish, she knew that, it would be a weakness to let their cute appearances soften her heart. She knew that.

Juliet sheathed her sword and knelt beside Tobias, extending her hand to let the little white one sniff it. "You really think we can befriend them?" she asked Toby, sounding for once, like an uncertain young girl. "This could be your worst idea yet..."

carnackiArdent
2014-04-30, 12:24 PM
"Getting in trouble for messing with people isn't the same as being pushed around, Toby." That strikes her as a dangerous road to go down. "But they'd be something to help protect us from the greyskins and the other monsters. Even with so many fighters, we still lose people... this way we'd lose fewer. We need every advantage we can get. If they can be trained."

But despite her hedging she's actually optimistic about that. The opportunity to raise them from pups, especially if they did start out as something that had been raised alongside humans for hundreds of thousands of years, could make the difference. Her emphasis on guarding may have been slightly intended to divert things from the idea of fighting Aron right away, too. She edges closer cautiously, keeping a wary eye on the puppies just in case.

Hefty Lefty
2014-04-30, 01:56 PM
The fantasy of owning a giant mutant attack dog builds upon itself in Wes' mind. He imagines being the king of the camp, defending everyone from intruders and keeping pesky Aron at bay with his Light beast. Juliet giving in to the crowd was the straw breaking the camel's back. Wes drops his boulder harmlessly in a bush away from the group with a dull *thud* onto the squishy, rain-soaked forest floor and squats down on his toes, resting his backside just above his heels next to the red dog. He fearlessly (or stupidly) sticks an open hand out in front of its face to sniff. Just treat it like a normal dog, right? I mean, a fire-breathing dog with laser vision anyway... Wes doesn't pay too much attention to the dog he's interacting with, instead looking around the whole area, all the dogs and party members. "I dunno about y'all, but mine's gonna be the biggest of the pack." He rotates his wrist over to scratch the back of the dog's neck, if it'll allow it. "You're a Grey-killin' machine, ain't ya, boy?"

Arcran
2014-04-30, 03:00 PM
The black continues to eat out of Toby's hand, rapidly devouring far more than its small size would seem. The white, on the other hand, shies away, keeping at least a few feet of distance between Toby and itself. Soon enough Toby is out nearly a ration of food and the black, ribs still showing, looks pitifully up at Toby, still clearly starving.

One ration down.

As Wes reaches out his hand the red stops snarling long enough to sniff it and, after determining that it wasn't food, places his mouth around it to confirm that. The teeth, while needle-like, aren't tearing and rending your flesh like they should be. When Wes pets the back of the dog's neck he can feel the loose skin rolling around like a tarp. While there's usually loose skin on the back of a dog's neck, the extreme skinniness of the dog has contributed to a massive nape.

MrE
2014-04-30, 03:24 PM
Juliet shifts slightly to follow the white dog as it shies away from Toby. It seemed to be a bit of a loner, and clearly wasn't used to any kind of interaction, human or not. It seemed to have eaten, and could resist the dull rations the group had, so she pulled out her small bottle of honey. She opened it and poured some out into the lid and then placed it on the ground between her and the creature. "Come on, you can do it. It's sweet you'll like it," she says encouraging the timid creature.

Use Honey (either as bait or simply food) depending on how you want this to work.

If the creature responds well then she takes some of her own rations, and puts the honey on it before sharing it with the little animal.

Arcran
2014-04-30, 04:35 PM
While the white had turned up its nose at the typical food, the honeyed food draws its attention far more easily. It sniffs the food silently, obviously interested, but does not move to eat it, sitting back on its haunches to watch you once again. Either it doesn't trust you or it truly isn't hungry.

Tybar
2014-04-30, 07:40 PM
Marcus watches the more skittish ones, and where he left his bit of food at.

The Grim Author
2014-04-30, 07:44 PM
Sinclair, meanwhile, approaches the gold one again, holding out the piece of bread for him. He also looks around a little, trying to see if he can spot anything that might serve as food.

[roll0]

Hefty Lefty
2014-04-30, 08:46 PM
A deep rumbling is stirred from the pits of Wes' stomach. He hadn't realized his hunger until he saw everyone taking out their food. Still running his fingers gently through the fur of the puppy, he sheds his bag and digs out a small packet of dried fruit. It's been ages since the village has eaten fresh meat, which is what these young dogs clearly hunger for. All Wes has to offer is dried goods the group salvaged from a grocery store a few months ago. The boy pulls a long, yellow dried mango slice from its pouch, but pushes it away before taking a bite; the sweet smell of the fruit was quickly overtaken by the decaying corpse. "Uh... let's get away from this thing," Wes unknowingly waves the fruit stick around in his hand as he speaks, inches from the red dog's snout. "F*ckin' reeks."

carnackiArdent
2014-05-01, 02:58 AM
Clara sighs and joins Marcus in watching the more skittish ones. She's on board with bringing them along, but she's apprehensive just the same.

After a moment, though, she sits on the ground a little way away from the brown puppies and sets a piece of food in front of her, hoping to tempt one over. She's still not at all sure what to make of this, but... well, it isn't every day one gets to play with puppies anymore. Even the oldest of them - her included - were all of nine when the world went insane.

"It's all right," she murmurs softly. "I'm not going to hurt you, see?"

MrE
2014-05-01, 06:27 AM
Juliet picked up one of the small pieces of crusty bread that she had attempted to entice the dog with and ate it herself, enjoying the sweetness of the honey: a rare delicacy. "Come on you: look, it's safe to eat. And it is pretty tasty!" She held out her now slightly sticky hand towards the dog, remembering that you should let them sniff you first. "Come on, come on," she chirped, trying her best to entice him.

Charm: [roll0]
This is going to go so well, I can feel it.

Arcran
2014-05-01, 09:10 AM
Marcus looks down to see that has food has been devoured by the browns while the group had been too busy worrying about the white to watch the others. They seem friendlier now, coming close enough to sniff Marcus' leg.

As Sinclair looks around it seems anything that could possibly serve as food has been eaten already; even a small patch of bark off a nearby tree seems to have been eaten. The golden rushes forward for the food, gently eating it out of Sinclair's hand. This time it doesn't dash away afterwards.

The red pads along after Wes, easily following the mango, wide padded feet occasionally tripping as the creature follows hunting for food. It whimpers softly as it can't quite catch up.

The lighter brown dog quickly pads over towards Clara, sniffing the food before snapping it all up. It then goes over towards Clara, gently sniffing her with a nose that tickles slightly.

The white, unlike the fairly sociable others, turns its head away as Juliet reaches out a honey-coated hand, obviously still not interested enough in the honeyed food to set aside any fear of Juliet.

Tybar
2014-05-01, 10:48 AM
Marcus beckons to Celeste as he lets the browns sniff on him, breaking off more of the ration to feed the little guys, leaning down and offering it...not too concerned about teeth. There you go.

He looks around a bit at the others, noting that the pups seem to be at least less reluctant all around.

MrE
2014-05-01, 01:47 PM
Stymied by the white's disdain for her food offering, Juliet looks round and sees the others doing much better with their chosen quarries. "So you are a stubborn one then," she muses playfully. "Well you don't want to get left behind if your brothers and sisters come with us do you?" She knew it couldn't understand, or at least, it probably couldn't, but talking this way might help it relax around her.

She raised her voice slightly to talk to the others: "Should we take a quick break? We've been walking for quiet a while. I don't mind being the sentry first. We might want to move away from the mother though, if you can persuade them to move." She made to stand, but stayed near the white pup in case it decided to be more friendly. She then picked at the remainder of the rations, though left some in case any of the pups were hungry.

Perception if you want it: [roll0]

Hefty Lefty
2014-05-01, 02:07 PM
Wes is already halfway out of the ring of flora when Juliet suggests leaving the stinking range of the dead body. "Good idea," he looks up into the sky as to approximate the time judging by the sun's position - then realizes he has no idea how to do that. Instead, he guesstimates... it's been hours since we left, maybe its early evening? We deserve a break. Another wave of the smell rushes Wes' face and he readily agrees with the girl. "Yeah, let's camp out back on the path. I can't take that sh*t anymore." Wes stoops down for just a moment to break off a bite of the treat for the dog. As it chews, he takes a few long steps to the trail and calls for the dog, more fruit presented at snout level. "C'mere boy!"

[roll0]

The Grim Author
2014-05-01, 02:54 PM
Sinclair, meanwhile, takes a different tack. He grabs another pinch of food and holds it out in front of the gold-furred pup. "C'mon, little guy. Follow the food."

[roll0]

Arcran
2014-05-01, 06:09 PM
Celeste stays a ways back, refusing to go near the puppies despite them now being some distance from the corpse. The dark brown continues to eat from you while the other seems more interested in Clara.

The white continues to sit silently, not budging. However, as you turn to talk to the others you can't see him for a split second. When you turn back the honey-coated food is gone, the only trace of it a faint yellow smudge on the snout of the white. Its tail begins to thump back in forth, strange red eyes looking up with a strange expression.

As for Wes, the dog follows but it seems to be more from the promise of food than any actual devotion or obedience. Making out the sun through the trees is difficult; if you had to guess it was likely around four hours since you departed, leaving you around six more before it truly became night. As you ponder this, the golden comes out of nowhere to tackle the red. In only a matter of seconds the red has easily pinned the golden.

The golden follows Sinclair happily, licking his fingers happily after eating a bit more food. The golden seems to have decided that it likes Sinclair if the amount of licking is anything to go by. After a few seconds it dashes off to play with the other dogs but occasionally gives Sinclair a look.

Alright, Sinclair has a dog! As a note, add 1d6 in Charm, Guile, Intuition and Intimidate to the lists for these dogs.

http://arcran.wdfiles.com/local--files/start/Golden%20Lillipup%20big.png
Level 1 Female Lillipup
You may choose Nature and Basic Ability
Knows Attract.
Add Cute Charm to her Basic Ability list.
Gain one rank in Charm and one rank in Intuition.
Starved Template: This Lillipup has a -1 penalty to all stats until it has been nursed back to full health.

MrE
2014-05-01, 06:38 PM
"Gosh!" Juliet exclaimed, using one of her trademark exclamations that had made her such an object of ridicule with the other kids. "You are fast aren't you. I told you you'd like it! Sweet isn't it? Come on, I have more of it if you want." She began to stroll away from the corpse, drawing the White nearer to the others, but not enough that any of the pups might feel threatened by so many humans. She continued to draw small chunks from the ration pack and coat them in honey before letting them fall behind her for the white to pick up.

Hefty Lefty
2014-05-01, 08:18 PM
"Haha atta boy!!" Wes can't (and doesn't try to) contain his excitement for the little dog's victory. "What'd I tell ya, Sin'? Watch out for this guy!" The boy wades into the fray waving the treat over the red dog, once again crouching down next to him, but this time allowing him to eat to his heart's content. "Eat up big guy, you deserve it."

Tybar
2014-05-01, 08:25 PM
Marcus reaches down and finally pets the dark brown pup with him after they get away from the corpse, continuing to feed it, frowning at how emaciated they all are. "We'll need more food."

This may not end well...
[roll0]

TwilightKiwi
2014-05-01, 09:51 PM
With Juliet trying to get the white dog's attention, and the black one now oriented on him, Tobias focused all his efforts on it. The slender boy might be able to get by on less food than most of the bigger kids, but he wasn't ready to drive himself to the brink of starvation for a pet. Then again, he had high hopes that a canine would be a great boon in hunting and scavenging for scraps. With a pack at their beck and call, maybe they could even take down one of the bigger, meatier monsters. Deciding it was worth the risk, Tobias scrounged out another ration, breaking off another piece and offering it to the pup. Tobias had plenty of practice trying to look innocent and harmless; he leveraged that experience now to gain the dog's trust, his expression and posture as nonthreatening as possible.

[roll0]

carnackiArdent
2014-05-01, 10:40 PM
Clara smiles as the lighter brown dog approaches her, reaching out to let it sniff her fingers. "There, you see? You're safe with us." She breaks off another piece of the ration for it, then, if it doesn't shy away from her hand, reaches out to stroke its head gently.

Celestia's continued antipathy for the dogs startles her a little, but after a moment it occurs to her that she doesn't know how old the other girl is - it's possible Celestia doesn't even remember a world where dogs were friendly pets and not ravening wolf-monsters. As the others decide to move away from the dead mother to make camp, she nods and starts to urge the light brown puppy to follow along gently. "Come on, then. I can see some of your brothers and sisters are coming with us. Would you like to come along as well? All our chances are better together."

Charm: [roll0]

Arcran
2014-05-04, 07:13 PM
The white follows Juliet closely but somehow every time she turns around it is sitting on its haunches, looking up at her. The food disappears every time and, soon enough, the white is eating even while Juliet is looking at him. It eventually gently nudges her leg, trying to nudge Juliet towards a log. It sits near it, watching her intently.

The red happily eats the treat then leaps towards Wes, trying to pin him. The red hardly has the strength but still manages to knock back Wes more than a bit. It looks up at Wes, tail wagging and bright eyes full of trust.

http://i.imgur.com/QLdC7cz.png

Level 1 Male Lillipup
Knows Rock Smash.
Add Bodyguard to Basic Ability list.
Gain one rank in Athletics and one rank in Combat.
Starved Template: This Lillipup has a -1 penalty to all stats until it has been nursed back to full health.

The brown by Marcus continues to eat the food and, as they get a bit further from the body, curls up and sleeps on top of Marcus' foot, obviously secure around you. Its small belly is bulging, obviously eating far more than it has in a long time.

http://i.imgur.com/ldoiOot.png

Level 1 Female Lillipup
Knows Noble Roar.
Add Courage to Basic Ability list.
Gain one rank in Command and one rank in Focus.

The black stops snarling at Toby and begins to happily devour the food, the black's belly beginning to bulge almost grotesquely. It seems content and even allows Toby to touch it after a few seconds. It seems to have bought the harmless facade. It still seems angry, but far less so.

http://i.imgur.com/DKvPKAi.png

Level 1 Male Lillipup
Knows Rage.
Add Intimidate to Basic Ability list.
Gain one rank in Combat and one rank in Intimidate.

Celestia continues to keep a wide berth from the dogs for whatever reason she has even when they've been taken away from the corpse of the larger beast, giving the puppies fearful looks, particularly the white.

The brown seems sympathetic to Clara even though it seems to have zero grasp of the human language. The food seems to have made her full and content, resulting in the brown curling up and taking a nap in Clara's lap.

http://i.imgur.com/hFNTA6x.png

Level 1 Female Lillipup
Knows Helping Hand.
Add Gentle Vibe to Basic Ability list.
Gain one rank in Perception and one rank in Intuition.

All of you lose two rations, Toby only loses one since he's already lost one.

The Grim Author
2014-05-04, 11:26 PM
Sinclair, meanwhile, reaches out an open hand and attempts to lightly pat the gold-furred dog on the head. "We've got to get you some more food," he says, smiling at his new pet. "Dry rations aren't going to cut it, for either of us. Maybe if we can find some actual good berries or something, that'll help..." He looked at the little golden pup. "And you need a name. I think I'm gonna call you... Goldie."

MrE
2014-05-05, 04:12 AM
"You're right Sinclair," Juliet replies, then as though having an idea she turns to the white pup and says "Hey, weren't you looking in the bushes just now, maybe there's something in there." Clearly the white knew how to find food, so it seemed a safe bet to follow him.

"If someone wants to take my place watching then I'll go and have a look in the bushes where the white one was: he seems pretty well fed so he must be getting his food somewhere. Though someone else might be better at it."

Hefty Lefty
2014-05-05, 07:02 AM
Damn. This little dog actually shoved Wes quite a bit. It's a tiny little thing, and bone-thin at that. Even if it hasn't turned these animals blood-thirsty or supernatural, the Light has clearly had its effect on their strength. It brings a smile to Wes' face to see the pup is on his side; the feat of strength builds Wes' confidence that the little critter will be both a faithful companion and a powerful weapon over the next few days.

Wes reaches into his bag for more food for the dog when his two friends speak up. They're right; these things will chew through all our rations if we let them. And we didn't have enough food to begin with... He rustles his fingers through the dog's fur and is again reminded of just how malnourished it is. "I dunno if these things want berries, man. They're dogs - they want meat." Wes pauses for a moment before a bright idea hits him. "Hey I know! Let's go hunt that owl down from before! That thing was huge, it'd be plenty to eat for all..." he does a quick head count, "thirteen of us."

Tybar
2014-05-05, 11:32 AM
Marcus lets the little pup sleep, but nods to the others. "Might as well try both."

TwilightKiwi
2014-05-05, 01:45 PM
As the black pup grey more approachable, Tobias dared to try scratching it behind the ears, and grinned in satisfaction as it let him. "Well! Got quite a chip on your shoulder there, dontcha! Pissed off at th' whole world an' what it's done t' you. I can relate." The boy tilted his head down at the dog, using both hands to give its head a full rub-down, then perked up as the others began discussing the food issue. It was definitely true that they'd managed to almost double the number of mouths they had to feed in the work of a few short minutes. "Juliet's right, that one's been findin' food somewhere. I'll take a quick look-see out in that direction for now, but don't s'pose you can convince it t' just show us where it gets its grub?" He arched an eyebrow at Wes. "You already forgettin' that impromptu naptime? Not sure we wanna tango with that bird again, least not till we get a better handle on these pups."

Standing, Tobias patted his leg, trying to get the black pup to follow alongside him. "C'mon, monster, let's go an' see what kinda fat your brother's been hoardin'."

carnackiArdent
2014-05-05, 02:00 PM
Clara doesn't have a lot of choice but to stay where she is. Having a sleeping puppy in one's lap is a wonderful way to ensure one stays put. She strokes the light brown pup gently as it dozes. "Yeah, let's... save the owl for later. If that. I'll stay here and watch the dogs. Yell if you need me." She feels safer with the puppies than she has for a while, even if they aren't in a good position to predict what they'll do. That might be down to her feeling calmer about the moment the brown crawled into her lap.

She's kind of inclined to leave the owl entirely. She knows owls are predators; she didn't get the best look at its talons, but she doesn't want to fight a hunting bird that she thinks was bigger than she is.

MrE
2014-05-05, 02:41 PM
"I don't think it listens to me quite yet," Juliet commented, slight abashed. She followed Toby towards the pushes, hoping that the white would either lead them to his food, or at least rpotest when they got near it: which might have the same result.

Tybar
2014-05-05, 04:07 PM
Marcus glances around at where they're at. "I'll stay on guard here."

He smiles down at the puppy curled on his foot, not moving it until he has to.

Hefty Lefty
2014-05-05, 04:37 PM
Wes scoffs at the kids' rejection of his suggestion. "Psh fine, if you're scared..." he says to none of them in particular as they are already out of earshot. Apparently staying put with Clara, Celestia, and Marcus, Wes plants himself on the ground next to them and leans against a soft wet log. "We're hunters, not gatherers like those wimps, right buddy?" The boy asks his little red dog before cracking a stick off the log. "You play fetch? Here..." he waves the stick back and forth slowly in front of the pup's face, then suddenly throws it across the clearing, trying not to land it in deep grass surrounding them. "Go get it!"

The Grim Author
2014-05-05, 09:05 PM
"Well, maybe not the bird... but maybe there's something else out this way we could catch and cook. I dunno, maybe a snake? I've never had snake... but I'd be willin' to try it."

carnackiArdent
2014-05-06, 12:14 PM
"If we do go for a snake, try not to make it a poisonous one, please? I don't think we can afford people getting bitten." She pauses. "... I mean venomous, I guess. Whatever. I've got some antivenin stocked up, but we have to make it last."

Arcran
2014-05-07, 07:05 PM
The golden allows Sinclair to pat her head, looking up at Sinclair happily. She yips happily when Sinclair mentions her new name, seemingly accepting it.

As Juliet follows the white it crawls under the bottom of the log. For a few seconds it roots around before coming out with...

Exactly what Tobias had been looking for. A grub. A enormous, pale, white, bulbous grub. It's clearly not a Light creature but it is quite possibly one of the largest bugs you've ever seen. It squirms feebly before the white tears it in half, placing half at Juliet's feet and looking up expectantly. The dog seems to have been fine eating them, but it looks far less than edible.

http://arcran.wdfiles.com/local--files/start/Silvery%20Lillipup%20big.png[/CENTER]

Level 1 Male Lillipup
Knows Astonish.
Add Ugly to Basic Ability list.
Gain two ranks in Stealth.

The black also appreciates the attention, shoving its head towards Tobias as it gets the full body pat-down. As it follows the white it eyes the grub hungrily but doesn't risk getting close enough to grab the grub or even risking getting near the log. Could the black be scared of its sibling?

When Wes throws the stick the red watches strangely, unsure. As it hits the ground though, the red races after the stick, grabbing it off the ground and racing back to Wes, dropping the stick at his new friend's feet, looking up excitedly.

As the group greets their new friends a dark shadow can be seen slinking among the trees, long and gaunt. It's big, not nearly as large as the dead beast but still huge, its shoulder likely higher than your waist. It seems to be alone, great golden eyes stare out of the brush, eyeing you and your new pets hungrily.

Tybar
2014-05-07, 09:23 PM
Marcus reaches down slowly to pet the brown one at his feet, not wanting to wake the little guy.

Not rolling, due to being unable to hit that TN.

TwilightKiwi
2014-05-07, 10:04 PM
Tobias wrinkled his nose at the squirming larva. "Wasn't meaning t' be quite so literal, but..." He sniffed curiously at the grub. "... eh, I've eaten worse." Still, just because the pups could get healthy off it didn't mean he wouldn't die after one bite. He examined it closer, looking for signs of it being poisonous, his attention focused completely on it. "Worse case, at least we got somethin' other than rations t' feed 'em... what's th' matter, monster mutt? Thought you were one'a the brave ones. Your bro here got you spooked?"

carnackiArdent
2014-05-08, 03:29 AM
Clara smiled a little as she watched the red pick up on the game, still stroking the light brown gently. "Well, I suppose if they know how to play, there's hope for them yet. Maybe things aren't as bad as we think after all." It even makes her feel a little more optimistic about herself and the other empowered humans. Not everything the Light had touched seemed to be evil.

Also not touching the Perception check. I swear I'm going to buy it up as soon as we gain a level.

MrE
2014-05-08, 04:48 AM
"Errr!" Juliet mutters, staring at the half eaten grub. "Well I did want you to show us your food I guess." She bent down and after slowly extending her hand, began to pat the dog and praise it. "Toby, do you know if this can be eaten? It doesn't look like it, but I've had some weird food before. Maybe Clara will know."

Juliet hefted the grub and then left the bushes to join up with the others again, and showed the worm to Clara: "Do you know if we can eat this? The dogs seem fine with it, but it looks pretty vile."

The Grim Author
2014-05-08, 11:23 AM
Sinclair nodded in response to Clara's statement. "Yeah, maybe not," said Sinclair as he looked around. "Still, we should probably look for some more food. Otherwise, these little guys are going to be even hungrier... Isn't that right, Goldie?"

Hefty Lefty
2014-05-08, 01:31 PM
Wes beams when the dog listens to his orders and plays along. He reigns in the little monster by again picking up the stick and tantalizing him with it. He launches it further across the clearing, trying to send it the furthest distance while keeping within the tall grass.

Before Wes' dog can return with the stick, the scouting party returns with what Wes hoped would be food. "Ah sh*t I ain't eatin' bugs!" He gags at the sight of the presented grub. "Who do ya think I am, Pumbaa!?"

Arcran
2014-05-09, 05:55 PM
The brown slumbers on at Marcus' feet, twitching slightly as Marcus pets it.

The black growls at Tobias but, whenever it looks at the white, it shies away, clearly scared of the white.

The lighter brown dog happily allows Clara to pet her, grinning somewhat.

The white allows Juliet to allow pet him although it does not respond at all, his face blank and expressionless.

The grub, for all you can tell, is completely edible despite being hideous and unappetizing. You don't remember reading or hearing anything about them being toxic, but you honestly can't remember anybody talking about grubs.

The red races after the stick but doesn't see the black shape fly out of the woods as a black blur, teeth bared wide in eager anticipation.

Bite!

AC: 2 [roll0] Flinch on 15+
Damage: [roll1]

The red shrieks in pain as the eager jaws of another canine creature, dark as night and standing above the waist of all of you, blood spurting sideways from the creature's jaws. The other dogs shy away in fear, terrified of the best, all except the white who simply stands there, watching his brother bleed out. Sinclair can easily tell that the dog needs medical treatment now.

All of you get to go now. Consider yourself within movement range. If you want your dog to do anything, Command checks will be required for all but the white.

Tybar
2014-05-09, 06:39 PM
Marcus scoops up the brown with one hand, his sword appearing in the other, lashing out at the demonic creature that attacked Wes's red. Quick, we might be able to save it!

Attack: (AC 4)
[roll0]
Dmg:
[roll1]

TwilightKiwi
2014-05-09, 08:15 PM
"Holy hells!" Tobias yiped, scrambling back instinctively at first, but the boy froze as he watched the beast tear into the helpless pup; his eyes slitted in the kind of self-righteous anger only a child was capable of. "Hey monster, y'wanna be mad at somethin'?" he hissed down at the black pup. "Aim your ire in that direction, an' try not t' get in my way." It was a good thing everyone's attention was focused on their sudden attacker, because no one saw Toby's eyes seem to roll back in his head, for a moment appearing as pitch black rings around golden irises. With a guttural snarl he lunged for the larger beast in an intense burst of speed, reaching out as if to rake at its shaggy hide with his bare fingers - even though he didn't get near close enough to hit it, the beast seemed to be struck by something anyhow, catching it off-guard. "Leave our pups alone, y' big mangy mongrel!" he huffed, hackles raised, his posture hunched. It seemed he might have moved too quickly to make it likely anyone had noticed anything off about his attack, but he hadn't been intentionally trying to obscure anything.

Feint Attack (Auto-hit) [roll0], using Living Shadow to stay a few meters away.
Command [roll1] Trying to get Monster to Intimidate the enemy. Anything else it wants to do is up to it.

carnackiArdent
2014-05-09, 10:44 PM
Clara's eyes widen when the black predator comes out of nowhere, at least from her point of view. She scrambles to her feet, more or less dumping the light brown pup onto the ground. She's not going to expect it to attack anything - if it does she'll be surprised.

For her part, she starts rooting around in her bags, then darts over to Sinclair and hands him what appears to have once been a plant mister and is now full of a murky purple liquid. He'll probably have used this before - it's the odd chemical coagulant she concocts that helps close serious wounds to buy time for victims of the Light monsters. She doesn't know if he brought any from the medical tent's supply.

"It needs help," she says, as if this wasn't perfectly obvious to everyone, especially Sinclair. Apparently even outright combat doesn't stop her being a know-it-all.

Getting out a Potion and handing it off to Sinclair.

The Grim Author
2014-05-09, 11:56 PM
"Thanks, Clara. This'll be a real help." Sinclair dashed over to the pup and used the potion on it, whipping his first aid kit out at the same time. He would probably have to use that as well. "Goldie!" he called out. "Stay by Clara! This is incredibly dangerous!"

Hefty Lefty
2014-05-10, 02:12 AM
Focused on the bug, Wes only reacts to others' reactions of shock and horror before a new, yet familiar voice yelps in desperation, fear, and mainly pain. "Champ!!" The dog's name came to the tip of his tongue instantly, like is has been his pet since he was little. Wes scrambles to his feet. The group around him dashes to action, and he won't be left behind. The boy sprints into the fray, weaving through bodies and animals, and dive tackles the predator. "Get off my dog you bastard!"

Struggle Attack: [roll0]
Struggle Damage: [roll1]

MrE
2014-05-10, 06:06 AM
Any normal 15 year old girl would have stopped at the sight of a monster like that. She would probably have whimpered and tried to get out of the way. Not Juliet. She had seen enough monster attacks not to pause, her eyes taking in the full situation even as she sprinted towards the creature, sword flying into her hands and the wind whistling around her. She noticed the white pounding along beside her, silent as the grave, its eyes filled with deadly intent.

As they approached Juliet focused, and the air around her stilled briefly before forming a cone that struck with her sword. The White darted in at the same time, so fast Juliet couldn't keep track of where it went.

Juliet: Aerial Ace - auto hit. Damage: [roll0]

Ghost uses Astonish: AC 2 [roll1] [Flinches on a 13+]
Damage [roll2] [ghost type]

Arcran
2014-05-10, 01:35 PM
Marcus' sword bites into the great beast, causing it to yelp in pain. Unfortunately, the beast's fur is so thick and matted that it almost serves as armor, turning the sword away somewhat.

Tobias is met with similar success although the shadows seem to fade somewhat as they strike the creature, as if this beast's bond to the darkness was more powerful than Tobias' bond with it. The black pup, despite Toby's truly painful attempt to command it, rushes forward barking angrily, perhaps drawing the ire of the beast. It seems too scared to actually engage in combat with the beast, but it's more than happy to try to scare it.

Clara's pup gives a yelp as it is unceremoniously dumped on the ground, scrambling away from the great beast. Goldie soon follows, the two sticking close to one another.

The beast ducks under Wes' rushed attempt to tackle it, completely avoiding it and coming up snarling just in time to have Juliet cut into its flank. It turns, hackles raised and foam dripping from its mouth, creating a truly terrifying sight until the white comes out of nowhere, slamming into the side of the beast's head and leaving it dazed and confused. It lets out a terrified howl, obviously panicked at this point but still standing.

And, in the distance, perhaps a dozen howls answered the beast's.

Celestia screams at the sight of conflict, sticking close to Goldie and Clara's dogs, trying to keep as far away from the combat as humanly possible.

The beast is Flinched! So you guys get to gang bang it again this turn.

MrE
2014-05-12, 01:59 AM
Juliet let out a sigh as she released the air around her. She couldn't keep that up permanently, that was for sure. But she knew how to fight without her powers, and she slashed her sword across the creature once again. "You will not harm my friends," she muttered determinedly.

At the same time the White flashed in and out of the combat, before returning to nip at the creature's heels and distract it.

Juliet: Struggle (AC 4) [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] [Normal Type]

Ghost, Astonish (AC 2): [roll2] Flinches on a 13+
Damage [roll3] [Ghost type]

Hefty Lefty
2014-05-12, 06:58 AM
Wes scoops up his pup to protect it from the deadly creature of shadows, but - perhaps it's the natural competition and aggression Wes loved at first sight from Champ, chemical adrenaline from the medical spray, or perhaps it just doesn't want to be held by his trainer - the little monster leaps right of his grasp. Just like its attacker, the dog growls in anger, blood spurting sideways from its jowls. Dark red blood spatters across the forest floor and streaks across the brighter red of Champ's coat. It leaps over the white pup and slams the shade foe with a vicious kick from its hind legs, sharing its blood with the beast who drew it, along with any others which may be in melee range of Champ's target.

"Champ, no- " barely escapes Wes' mouth before he realizes he's powerless to stop the dog. This thing's got a death wish! It's like 3 pounds soaking wet! He dances around the edge of the battle, trying to send a kick in between the dogs and swords, but mainly concerned with watching for the next strike directed at Champ.

Wes:
Struggle Attack: [roll0], AC 4.
Struggle Damage: [roll1], Normal.

Champ:
Rock Smash Attack: [roll2], AC 2.
Rock Smash Damage: [roll3], Fighting - Super Effective, maybe!?

Tybar
2014-05-12, 11:27 AM
Marcus grunts as he's sprayed with blood, the little brown in his hands waking up and letting out a roar at the monster, hopping down to stick around Marcus's feet.

He swings his sword, imbuing it with some of his own Steel, sharpening the blade and making it a bit more reflective.

Noble Roar:
AC 2:
[roll0]
Lowers Attack and Special Attack stages of all non-Friendly targets in the burst by 1 if successful
Metal Claw, AC 3:
[roll1]
Raises attack by 1 stage on an 18-20
Dmg:
[roll2]

carnackiArdent
2014-05-12, 01:30 PM
Clara doesn't see a whole lot of options for her to be helpful, not after handing the medicine off to Sinclair. With Marcus, Juliet, Wes, and Toby all around the monster, she can't throw acid at it for fear of catching them in the splash, which she doubts she'd appreciate even if it burned off some of the pelt protecting the beast. One of these days she has to start carrying a more discriminating weapon.

So she runs back to Celestia and the noncombatant pups instead, moving to scoop up Goldie and her light brown. Even she can hear that howling. "Guys? I think we should start running soon!"

Arcran
2014-05-12, 03:26 PM
Juliet's quick blade tears through the beast, sending it to the ground with hardly a whimper, her blade flashing red. It still seems to be breathing but it wouldn't take much to finish it.

In the distance you can clearly hear the howls of approaching beasts, the howls so quick and loud that it's impossible to tell exactly how many they are. The puppies are clearly spooked, shying away from the dead one and moving towards the opposite side of the small clearing. They're clearly worried from the sound. The white, however, seems as unphased as ever.

Even as the beast falls Celestia is already shouting for you all to run. She doesn't seem to excited about the prospect of facing down a pack of wolves.

There's hundreds of wolves! They're all around and coming from every side!
From your best guess, there's probably about a dozen or so of the wolves, give or take.
While it's hard to pick up, there are eleven distinct howls now that you pause to try to pick up on it. Eleven howls probably means eleven monsters.

A quick glance at the beast would reveal it to be nearly dead which would be a small misconception. While it is clearly injured heavily you might be able to staunch the bleeding enough to stabilize it. Otherwise it will bleed out in about a minute.

With the beast down you finally get a chance to get a good look at it. It's clearly somewhat related to a dog, that much is clear. The hunters had always talked about great black beasts in the night that always hunted in packs. While it is the day, this one looks to be starving which could be what drove them to desperation. The hunters seem to put great weight in their intelligence, claiming the beasts were expert hunters.

Looking around you see a faint trail at the base of a nearby tree. While not much of an advantage it would make traveling away far quicker although the path would be a bit of a detour north. It'd put you a bit further from your destination but you may just outrun the horde.

The clearing seems to be surprisingly defensible. With the thick trees and limbs scattered all across the ground you might even be able to construct a rudimentary barrier, assuming of course you have the time. That would cut down on the number of sides the beasts could attack you from, lessening their numerical advantage. While far from ideal, it would be better than nothing.

Fortunately for you, you see nearby thorn bushes. If you could just pull some branches off it might help to slow the wolves down, whether to fight here or to injure them while you run. No matter which way they are used, the thorns might just save the day.

You notice a small, mostly hollow tree nearby, almost hidden among the roots. While you likely couldn't hide from the wolves there it would likely serve as an almost ideal shelter for keeping the dogs safe if you chose to stay.

Time to figure out your plan! Do what you will. Propose your actions, I'll tell you what to roll.

Good luck!

Tybar
2014-05-13, 08:08 AM
Marcus tilts his head, then looks around the area. There's 11 of the beasts, and they may be faster than us.

He points with his free hand at the various branches around. We can make barricades, funnel them in one direction. Looks like a good spot to hole up at, take them one at a time.

He flicks blood from his sword, looking to the others, seeming to have exhausted his word count for a while.

The Grim Author
2014-05-13, 10:22 PM
"I suppose. There's an alcove we can hide our pups in over there." Sinclair moved over to the fallen, bleeding wolf-dog. "Also, I'm going to try and stabilize this little guy. I bet I could tame him. I mean, I did pretty good with Goldie there."

And with that, he began looking for a way to get the little dog stable.

Rollin' Medicine Education!

[roll0]

carnackiArdent
2014-05-13, 10:42 PM
Clara nods. "I count eleven, too. But do we really want to stay and try to fight them all off? It might be better to make a run for it before they have us closed off." Not that Clara's at all sure they can make it - she hasn't seen any escape route that might be better than any other, short of just picking a direction they're pretty sure is farthest from the pack.

She glances over at Sinclair's activities in trepidation. "Is that a good idea? I mean, abandoned puppies are one thing, but I don't think that thing's going to like us even if we fix it up."

TwilightKiwi
2014-05-14, 12:39 AM
"Proud'a you, monster! Managed not t' make a fool'a yourself." Giddy that they'd won their first real challenge despite the still-imminent danger, Tobias knelt to give the pup a solid skritching between the ears. Tilting his head at Clara, he frowned, then hooked a thumb over towards a nearby tree. "There's a decent trail over there, we could cover a lotta ground if you really wanna just grab th' pups an' book it. Seems it might take us in th' wrong direction, though. 'Sides, still no guarantee we'd outrun 'em - and I heard'a these beasties b'fore. Nasty freaks, expert hunters. Bet they could track us easy even if we got away... an' we'll get tired'a runnin' a lot sooner'n they do." Taking a moment to examine the clearing, he found himself nodding along with Marcus' assessment of its defensibility. "We wanna make a stand, this's a pretty solid place t' do it." He approached Sinclair, toeing the critically injured canine with a frown. "Any other time I'd be on your side, dude... this guy looks just as starved as th' pups, I figger some positive reinforcement'd go leagues to get on its good side. Dunno if we can handle another, bigger mouth t' feed, though... more importantly, if we do run, an' leave it here, it could distract the pack long enough for us t' make a break for it."

He turned to face the rest of the group, crossing his arms. "Me, I say we show these nasties who's boss. But if we're gonna fight, we gotta start gettin' geared t' go pronto."

MrE
2014-05-14, 01:48 AM
This could be it; the end of their journey so soon. Juliet didn't like their chances facing 11 of these creatures, though they had managed to take down the first one quite handily. She nodded along with what everyone else had said and hurried to collect some of the thorns: she'd had the same idea as Marcus, to use the thorns to channel the wolves if they could. Using her sword she hacked away at the bush until she removed a large clump of thorns, and then dragged it into position. "We stay and fight then," Juliet asserted. "Marcus, will you help we these thorns? I had the same idea, we'll use these to stop us getting surrounded, and try and make only one entrance, but we'll need to make them quite high if we want to stop these wolf creatures getting over them."

As she went about her work, the white watched her silently. "You were really good weren't you," she muttered to it, "Toby was right, having creatures like you will help us fight, even if the others are too weak to help out right now." At that point she made a decision: "I'll protect you in the fight: if you want to go and hide in the hollow I'll let you. It's going to be dangerous. I'm not sure you can understand what I'm saying, but I want you to know, you don't have to fight. I'll protect you."

Tybar
2014-05-14, 10:53 AM
Marcus nods and sheathes his sword, helping Juliet with the thorns, going about the work as quickly as he can. He glances at his pup. Go with the others. I'll be okay.

Hefty Lefty
2014-05-14, 02:16 PM
A sudden gust of wind blasts above Wes' head and knocks the gruesome wolf to the ground. "Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!" The boy pumps his fist in victory, then goes to ruffle the coat of his scrappy sidekick; however, the dark red streaks sticking to his fur remind Wes exactly how this fight started. Hundreds of howling wolves remind him how this fight very well might end. He stands up and surveys the situation around him, looking for any way out that isn't surrounded by demon wolves. There's a clearing to the north, but the group seems to have already made up its mind to fight. The humans are confident, but each dog (aside from the white) has expressed its desire to leave before the rest of the pack arrives. Wes' dog Champ, especially, needs shelter: an open wound near the top of its left hind leg give it a visibly painful limp when it walks, and several pink cuts above and below the dog's left eye leave it swollen and impair its vision. The spray seems to have acted as a fast-healing agent for most of the dog's wounds and has done a considerable job rising the creature's adrenaline, but some of the larger injuries remain. At the risk of his dog being the target of another hungry wolf's bite, Wes applies another spray. "Atta boy," he'd like to pat the dog, but it's so beat up he'd do more harm than good. "You were a rock star out there, pup. Now go take off with your brothers in that tree." Wes checks out the scene around him; the group is confidently building a picker-brush fortress around themselves and the tree. "I won't let you get hurt again."
Not one to back down from a fight no matter how wise it may be to do so, Wes leaps to action helping his friends form some sort of baricade with the natural barbed wires around the clearing.

Command check: [roll0]
One potion used. Champ: 44/44 HP, 2 injuries

carnackiArdent
2014-05-15, 09:29 PM
Seeing as she's clearly outvoted, Clara pulls on the heavy work gloves she always seems to carry and starts helping Wes with barricades to string between the trees. Thankfully she's decent at building things despite being scrawny.

"Go on now," she whispers to the light brown puppy. She's decided to name it Caramel, but this is really not a good time to try to start training it to respond to the name. "Go stay in the hollow tree. Keep Celestia and your family safe there."

To the others, she says, "Tactics aren't my strongest suit, but we should probably try to block them off pretty close in, right?"

[roll0]

Arcran
2014-05-15, 09:39 PM
Under Sinclair's treatment the beast stops bleeding and its breathing stabilizes. It's not dying from lack of treatment, at the very least.

The white makes no response to Juliet's words, simply sitting on the ground. Whenever she moves he moves with her, keeping close at hand, always eerily silent.

The other dogs hurry to the tree, all five barely fitting in together. They seem concerned, to say the least, but they stay mostly silent. Champ and Monster position themselves towards the front, obviously intent on protecting their siblings should it come to it.

Celestia, on the other hand, steps forward, standing irregularly straight. "I'm going to try to fight," she says softly, no apparent weapon nearby. "I won't fit in the tree anyways." There's a strange strength to her words, as if she's already made up her mind.

After working diligently for nearly five minutes the group has created some simple defenses. Under Clara's careful guidance Wes managed to craft some basic barricades while the rest were able to create some nasty tangles of vines to spread across the ground. When the beasts arrive they'll be in store for a nasty surprise.

Through it all the howling only gets nearer. The group likely only has another minute to get their defenses in place against the oncoming horde.

Arcran
2014-05-20, 11:26 PM
A Dance With Wolves, Round 1

As the final preparations are made, the howling stops without hardly a warning. One by one shapes slowly dissolve out of the shadows, approaching the group with a gaunt, hungry look in their eyes. They creep forward, slowly fanning out to attempt to encircle the group. They have not yet noticed the thorns hidden in the undergrowth and likely will not until they've already stepped over them. At Wes and Tobias' calls, Champ and Monster rush out, keeping close to their allies. Ghost silently waits by Juliet, sitting next to the very anxious Monster. The other animals lie in the tree, silent as the grave for once.

Even through the wall, the size of the beasts is quite apparent. Each is at least three feet to the shoulder, most standing closer to four. As the wolves creep forward, nearly silent, one suddenly howls, the other ten soon joining in to create an eerie, echoing sound. The wolves are hungry.

And they have found their prey.

Wolves have had their turn! It's the party's turn, so just post your action as a giant blob of people. Position yourselves wherever you want in the fort; I kind of just stuck you guys there. Celestia will go wherever you guys don't end up.

Now let the games begin!

And another map link. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Akuo1v6xJCoXdDhSNjhLQXFWYVZaUFVqSHU0ZEt6T nc&usp=drive_web#gid=0)

Tybar
2014-05-21, 11:28 AM
Marcus eyes his opponents, sword appearing in hand, he mentally reviews the situation, and lets out a calm breath, his inner Steel toughening his skin. He barely suppresses a grey sheen from appearing. He sets his stance.

And waits.

Using Iron Defense.

Notes for Combat:

Marcus can shift to steel type if needed, and he has the ability Battle Armor.

MrE
2014-05-21, 11:56 AM
Juliet raised her sword as she watched the wolves slide out from behind the trees and approach the barricades. The howling is eerie and disconcerting, but Juliet steels herself, ready for a fight. In response to her renewed courage the wind rises behind the group, blowing against their enemies and buoying up the group.

Use Tailwind - all allied trainers and pokemon get +5 initiative.

Hefty Lefty
2014-05-21, 09:43 PM
To the contrast of most of the group, standing in either a calm preparedness or nervous anxiety, Wes can't help but bounce up and down. "Ya hear that? Here they come!" He speaks with more excitement than fear as he lets his arms dangle loose at his side with each hop. "Here they come, Marc! You ready?" He slaps his friend in the back; the boy needs to take a small step forward to catch himself. Wes yammers on and hits him twice more: the second time, Marcus barely moves at all; the third time, it's like striking a cement wall. The scene is a good reflection of the two boys' manners; Marcus is a strong body of few, but meaningful, words, while Wes speaks more than enough for the both of them.

Another sudden stiff breeze rolls by the group, and the chill slows Wes down enough to realize Marcus, and the rest of the group, is indeed ready. They form a solid line of fierce warriors beyond their age between the forest walls; Wes finds himself covering the back door of their crafted fortress. He calls his pup over, if it'll listen. "C'mere Champ! I need ya, boy!" Assuming the creature emerges from the safety of the tree, Wes squats next to the dog and tries to get it as amped as him.

Wes Command Roll (if I need it to bring him from the tree) [roll0]
Wes Standard Action: Agility Training [Order] on Champ.

carnackiArdent
2014-05-22, 12:38 AM
Clara waits by the "back door" to their little enclosure. Truth be told, she's a bit nervous - if the wolves, or whatever they want to call these monsters, get past the makeshift caltrops, she doesn't expect to stand up for very long. Still, she's got some of the better fighters she knows standing behind her, hopefully able to step up if she needs to fall back. And leaving her in front means she has a clear line to throw acid at the wolves if they do come this way.

With a sardonic little smile to herself, she thinks she'd probably better be more worried about whatever seems to have come over Celestia than about herself.

She clutches one of her acid vials. The waiting is probably the worst part - she can hear the wolves, but from her vantage point she doesn't have a particularly good view of them.

Gosh, two more combatants does make things kind of cramped, doesn't it? If Clara's going to have a clear acid line, she's probably standing at L8.

TwilightKiwi
2014-05-22, 02:39 AM
"I got your back, Jules," Tobais murmured excitedly as the pack emerged from the shadows of the underbrush. His voice came out as almost an almost unfamiliar growl, his stance hunched in a crouch behind his older friend. The rush of victory against a single opponent had been one thing, but Tobias was surprised and a bit proud to discover he wasn't frightened by the daunting challenge about to descend on them. If anything, he was almost looking forward to spilling some more mutant blood. He waited for the creatures to make their move, sizing them up to see if any of them looked like it might be the leader of the pack.

Perception [roll0] to spot if any of the enemies look obviously bigger/stronger/different than the others. If there is one, he'll mark it as his Quarry.

The Grim Author
2014-05-22, 11:49 AM
Sinclair, meanwhile, rummaged through his medical kit. "Hmm..." He looked over what he had. In the heat of battle, he could maybe relieve the pain of one or two people before... He shook his head. It would have to do for now. If they survived, he could probably heal them up. But that required surviving.

Arcran
2014-05-22, 10:34 PM
Dances with Wolves, Round 2

The wolves move forward once again, huge padded feet slamming against the floor of the woods. Unfortunately for two of the wolves, this means that they slam feet first into one of the many thorn traps, only for both to stumble and fall headlong into another! Those two leap up snarling, jumping at Juliet and Marcus with fangs barred. One clamps down on Marcus' quickly raised forearm, the teeth somewhat stopped by Marcus' iron skin.

Juliet, on the other hand, isn't so lucky. The wolf clamps down hard on her leg, twisting viciously. Juliet can almost feel her calf twisting and turning under her flesh. When the wolf finally pulls away it's painful to put weight on that foot, harming both Juliet's defensive position and overall mobility.

Two other wolves hang back behind the two currently engaged with Juliet and Marcus, eyeing the team warily. The rest of the crew splits into three groups. two, apparently unsatisfied with the meager opening the party left, begin to try to tear at one of the wooden barricades with their teeth. Despite their best efforts, the wall holds, but just barely. At this point it looks like a stiff breeze could knock over that segment of wall. Behind it, Celestia lifts her hands, closing her eyes, as if she has something planned.

Another group circles around the top, fangs barred, likely intent on attacking from the north. When they see there is no easy access, one begins to eye the wall hungrily. Further south, three more of the wolves circle, eyes locked on Wes.

Those that aren't attacking begin to howl again, their blood-curdling cry chilling the blood of the whole group.

Wolf 5 v. Juliet:
AC: [roll0] Flinch on 18+ Hit
Damage: [roll1] 29 Damage. 2 Injuries, -1 Defense CS, -1 Speed CS
Wolf 6 v. Marcus:
AC: [roll2] Flinch on 20+ Hit
Damage: [roll3] 17 Damage.
Wolf 7 v. Wall (J8):
AC: [roll4] Hit
Damage: [roll5] 16 Damage
Wolf 8 v. Wall (J8):
AC: [roll6] Flinch on 20+ Hit
Damage: [roll7] 13 Damage

Wall is still (barely) up!

Map link again. General Initiative now. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Akuo1v6xJCoXdDhSNjhLQXFWYVZaUFVqSHU0ZEt6T nc&usp=drive_web#gid=0)

MrE
2014-05-23, 02:18 AM
"AArrrggghhh!" Juliet can't help but cry in pain as the creature savages her, but though tears spring to her eyes, she doesn't let her pain hold her back, slashing the beast with her blade whilst Ghost is immediately at her side, a blur of white trying to stun the beast.

Juliet: Aerial Ace: Auto hit, damage: [roll0]

Ghost, Astonish, AC 2 [roll1] 13+ flinches
Damage [roll2]

Hefty Lefty
2014-05-23, 06:07 AM
Growls, snares, and shrieks on the main line behind Wes catch his attention and warn him of a very near future for himself and Champ. Behind him, he hears among the snarling wolves the tearing down of a wall. "Champ, c'mere." Wes takes a few steps to his left and instructs his dog to do the same. He hops short, quick jumps again, but with first blood drawn, the playful attitude has gone away. "Let's make our stand, Champ. You got this." Wes adds, perhaps trying to confirm in both the dog and himself.

Wes moves to N8.

Champ moves to L8.

The boy spots a wolf howling from behind the briar patch and barks out to it with equal intensity yapping incessantly with typical Wes dialogue, "C'mon b*tch, come at me!" He picks up a small rock at his feet and chucks it at the wolf, attempting to do annoy it (it wouldn't deal any damage even if it hits).

Remember to update the Tracker with Champ's -1 Speed, -1 Accuracy (why did I say that... :smallfrown:)

Is there such an action to Ready an Attack? If so, I'd like Wes and Champ to do so.

Tybar
2014-05-23, 06:16 AM
Marcus shakes off the blow, seeming to ignore most of it, bringing his blade around into the wolf, the edge seeming sharper than a moment ago.

AC 3:
[roll0]
On 18+, raise user's attack by 1 combat stage
Dmg:
[roll1]

Also note that with the change in my sheet came a change in my stats. I only took 15 damage.

carnackiArdent
2014-05-23, 10:51 AM
Clara looks back over her shoulder in consternation at Juliet's cry before focusing back on the task at hand. Sinclair's over there, he'll have to look after Juliet.

Meanwhile she steps up into the spot Champ vacated, half-hidden from the wolves by the tree, preparing to open her vial as soon as some of the wolves come in range. It's about the only thing she can do without either trying to get through or over the wall or hitting some of her friends. She calls out to Wes, "Stay back a minute!"

Clara moves to K8.

The Grim Author
2014-05-23, 08:09 PM
"Hang on!" Although he couldn't do much to help with the wounds, he could help Juliet fight by binding the biggest of them. Grabbing a length of bandage and some gauze from his pack, he wound it around her leg wound and clamped it shut with a spare thorn from the construction.

Drain 2 AP.
[roll0] HP restored.

TwilightKiwi
2014-05-28, 01:37 AM
"Hey, lay the hell off!" Tobias practically roared as the canine viciously dug into Juliet. As if responding to his ire, the beast's own shadow seemed to suddenly rise up around it from all sides, twisting into scythelike claws that slashed down at it; hopefully the pup would follow his example in ferocity, if not intent.

Feint Attack x2 vs the one that attacked Juliet.
Crit? [roll0] (Auto-hit)
Damage [roll1] It's not very effective...

Crit? [roll2] (Auto-hit)
Damage [roll3] It's not very effective...

Any result of Toby's previous Perception check? I was holding off on Monster's Intimidate for that.

MrE
2014-05-28, 03:13 PM
Aided by the gusting winds, and with the pain in her leg already dwindling, Juliet stabs once more at the creatures that are massing in front of her. With the black and white dogs at her feet forcing back the creature before her, she spun and struck at the creature fighting Marcus, hoping to help out her ally.

Struggle (Ac 4) [roll0] Damage [roll1]

Arcran
2014-05-28, 03:18 PM
Juliet's first slash, enhanced by the wind, easily strikes into the wolf, causing it to howl in pain. The second attack, this time against the one targeting Marcus, goes wide, missing the wolf entirely. Marcus' attack likewise misses, the wolf apparently quite nimble.

While the bandages aren't much Sinclair manages to staunch the bleeding, something that will hopefully be enough give her the strength to keep fighting.

As Tobias' shadow slams into the wolf not once, but twice but, once again, it seems the the beast has the stronger bond with the darkness, the shadow claws hardly tearing into the Pokemon.

Fortunately, Monster seems to understand the intent and, with a surprisingly squeaky roar, runs underneath the beast, fangs tearing into the wolf-beast to drop it squealing to the ground. As the next rushes forward Monster glares at it, likely giving it some cause to fear attacking it.

The wolves move forward once again, attacking with renewed vigor. All around Champ and Wes they rush in, stumbling over the spikes as they come in, two clamping down monstrous fangs on Wes as the third goes in for an attack on Champ, the poor, already injured dog being thrown about like a ragdoll.

In the middle of the arena, one rushes to fill the spot left by the one Monster had dropped only to find his path blocked. With a snarl the Mightyena leaps at Monster, tearing into the Pokemon with a fury that nearly drops him unconscious. The other once again tries to strike Marcus, only to find his way blocked.

One continues to assault the wall and, with a cracking sound, the wall finally gives way, giving enough room for a wolf to fly in, snarling as he claws at Celestia, the girl screaming in pain as the fangs bite in to her side. On the northern side of the encampment more cracking is heard as a vicious crunch from a beast above finally breaks through that wall as well.

Monster uses Rage!
Monster uses Intimidate!

Wolf 4 v. Monster:
AC: 2 [roll0] Hit
Damage: [roll1] 28 damage. That's 2 Injuries, but Monster does gain +1 Attack CS. Injuries are Accuracy and Attack.

Wolf 6 v. Marcus:
AC: 2 [roll2] Miss
Damage: [roll3]

Wolf 2 v. Wall:
AC: 2 [roll4] Hit
Damage: [roll5] 15 damage.

Wolf 8 v. Wall
AC: 2 [roll6] Hit
Damage: [roll7] 25 damage. Wall is down!

Wolf 7 v. Wall/Celestia
AC: 2 [roll8] Hit
Damage: [roll9] 36 damage. 2 Injuries. Injuries are both Defense.

Wolf 1 v. Wall
AC: 2 [roll10] Critical, +19 Damage
Damage: [roll11] 37 damage, wall is down!

Wolf 11 v. Wes
AC: 2 [roll12] Hit
Damage: [roll13] 25 damage.

Wolf 10 v. Wes
AC: 2 [roll14] Hit
Damage: [roll15] 24 damage. One Injury from HP markers. Injury is Attack.

Wolf 9 v. Champ
AC: 2 [roll16] Hit
Damage: [roll17] 32 Damage. Champ is KO'd. 3 Injuries. Two more Accuracy, one Special Attack.

So, actions! Wes and everybody below the Mightyena get to post their actions. Following that, everybody above the Mightyena get to post again!

It may be a good time to get all the dogs in to the fight. :smallredface:

Tybar
2014-05-28, 03:35 PM
Marcus doesn't even shift as the wolf's teeth scrape against him. He spins his sword down at the beast, hoping for a solid blow this time.

AC 3:
[roll0]
On 18+, raise user's attack by 1 combat stage
Dmg:
[roll1]

Arcran
2014-05-28, 03:45 PM
As the northern wall breaks, Celestia turns with a panicked expression. She looks down at the red blood spilling over her clothing. With a panicked expression she sprints upwards, tears streaking down her face, the very air chilling around her. Where the wooden wall once stood a thick ice wall appears, quickly turning the hole back into a fortified area.

"Stay alive! And thank you!" she shrieks as the two wolves on the northern side turn to pursue her, temporarily abandoning the newly erected wall, the shapes of two wolves closing in on her, barely visible through the thick ice.

Her sacrifice would likely buy you some time but one fact echoes throughout your minds: Celestia had powers.

Tybar
2014-05-28, 03:58 PM
Marcus half-turns, a bit shocked, even as his pup tears out of the tree, letting out a tiny roar as he reaches Marcus's feet.

AC: 2
[roll0]
If successful, Burst 1, lower attack and special attack by one stage of all targets (does not hit friendlies).

carnackiArdent
2014-05-28, 09:52 PM
Clara barely even has time to register what happened. Wes and Champ are in enough trouble on this side, and the walls breaking down mean she's surrounded even with their help.

She glances this way and that for a moment before finally shaking her vial of acid and hurling it at the wolves coming in over the spikes in hopes of saving Wes before they have a chance to do even more damage to him. "Get back! Stay away!" she snarls, trying to intimidate the wolves into backing down or at least hesitating.

Using an Acid Vial to activate Acid. This should hit squares L9 and M9 (also L10 and M10 but there aren't any wolves there).
AC 2: 1d20
DB 4: 1d8+18 (using 2xTech in place of Sp.Atk)

Also! Intimidate check, just to make the wolves squirm! Probably not going to work, but she's desperate.
Intimidate: 1d6+1

Hefty Lefty
2014-05-28, 10:26 PM
A thousand nightmares never prepared Wes for the onslaught of the wolves' fury. Ravenous beasts leap onto the boy and tear into him with a flurry of razor sharp swipes. With each claw, skin, fur, hair, and blood flies. Wes lifts his hands to cover his face, but covering frail skin with other frail skin does little to defend the vicious attack. The pain is incredible, unlike anything Wes has ever felt; but more importantly is the intense feeling of despair and hopelessness that is delivered under each claw.

Holy sh*t This is it. Wes feels, as the black of the wolves fur begins to blur into a blinding, overwhleming blackness, It's over.. His head is bounced back and forth between the strength of the animals, and all sounds are overwhelmed by the snarling and yapping of the wolves. And yet... somehow, and for some reason, Wes looks to the little dog Champ. Through blood-soaked bangs he can make out the small, injured pup attempting to square off against of wolf of his own. "Champ!" Wes tries to shout to the dog and coughs up blood. I might fall here, but at least I can give Champ a chance to run. He swims through the mass of raging fur around him to dive in front of the dog as the beast attempts to snap its body with a toothy bite, and instead, snaps Wes across the stomach.

The boy falls in a lump at the feet of the red dog. But instead of running, the dog appears to feel challenged, motivated, or just plain angry. It dives at the dog who fell Wes with a rocking hindleg kick the strength of a dog five times its size. Just after his attack, however, Champ seems to realize his being surrounded, and takes a few tiny steps back towards the group.

Wes intercepts the attack on Champ. Wes moves to L8. Champ is moved to K8.

Champ uses Rock Smash on Wolf L9.
Attack: [roll0]; AC 2, Defense lowered on 17+.
Damage: [roll1]

Champ moves to K7.

TwilightKiwi
2014-05-28, 10:46 PM
"MONSTER!" It was unclear whether Toby's outcry was directed out of concern for his pup or anger at their attackers, but either way, he sounded pissed. The end of his shout rose to a low-pitched, inhuman roar that reverberated through Marcus and Juliet deep enough to feel it in their bones, rolling over the three beasts crowding to push through the gap in their defenses. If anyone looked at Tobias now, there was no mistaking it as his eyes rolled to pitch black with pinpoints of amber light at their center, his bared teeth presenting prominent fangs.

Snarl (AC3) originating diagonally from J5 (Burning AP for +1)
Attack rolls targeted in order of distance from Tobias, starting with the closest Mightyena:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
Damage [roll3]

MrE
2014-05-29, 02:27 AM
Juliet, having missed with her sword, spun to deliver a kick to the wolf's head followed by a punch to its midriff: she had trained to fight without weapons, and it was all coming in handy now.

Use basic Martial Arts against the one facing Marcus.
Rock Smash [Fighting] [AC 2] [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Ghost uses Astonish against Monster's enemy.
AC 2 [roll2] (13+ flinches)
Damage [Ghost type] [roll3]

The Grim Author
2014-05-30, 10:09 PM
Sinclair, of course, wasn't about to let Wes go down without a fight. "Hang on!" Throwing caution to the wind, he uncapped a syringe and stabbed it into Wes's upper thigh. A direct injection of morphine would help, even if there wasn't much else he could do. "Let's try and end this quick."

Once again, using Medic.

[roll0] HP restored to Wes. Down to 1 AP.

Arcran
2014-05-31, 12:18 AM
The Wolves Do Not Wish to Dance

As the fight continues the party begins to gain momentum. Marcus' blade bites deeply into his enemy, causing it to roar in pain. The beast is given no respite however as almost the instant it recovers from Marcus' slash Juliet's flurry of blows slam into it once more, the beast crumpling to the ground, Marcus' pup adding insult to injury by roaring at the beast. Even Ghost manages to aid in the fight, once again slamming into the head of the wolf. However, that small victory is interrupted by Celestia's screams and the clack of teeth on the other side of the ice.

As Sinclair moves in to patch up the badly injured Wes Clara's quick vial of acid proves to be extremely effective, causing the wolves to leap back, yelping in agony as the acid quite literally burns into their fur. Even more impressive is Champ who, seeing the beasts advancing on his injured friend, leaps forward and quite literally breaks the face of another beast, dropping it to the ground.

As Toby growls, attempting to scare the remaining wolves they hardly seem to notice, especially with how focused they are on other foes. One of the wolves gives a few short barks. The others simply turn tail and flee, apparently deciding this prey was not worth it, leaving three behind as well as the one that had attacked previously. The wolves are quick and surefooted, swiftly disappearing into the darkness. Should you wish to track them it likely would not be too difficult but they have, at least for now, been driven off.

However, the joy of the victory is cut short by a simple fact.

Celestia is no longer screaming.

Alright, let's give you guys some swag!

For the dogs that particpated (Monster, Champ, Dark Brown and Ghost): 60 EXP!
For the rest: 30 EXP for watching!

For the party:
1 TXP for catching your dog (Don't automatically count catch XP)
1 TXP for not dying in the fight

carnackiArdent
2014-05-31, 02:15 AM
Clara isn't stopping yet.

She veers around once she's thrown her acid, only barely noting the pained noises of the wolves. With Sinclair tending to Wes, she has a different target; she could hear Celestia screaming, and she can hear when it stops.

Clara's muscles flex strangely beneath her skin. For a moment the lenses of her glasses flash blue-white, and her turn comes so quickly her hat - surprisingly - flies off, revealing her hair standing straight on end and starting to let off sparks. She threads through the crowded clearing as quickly as she can, dodging or pushing aside the others, making a beeline for the barriers Celestia disappeared behind. When she makes it there, she makes a spirited attempt to vault the wall or scramble over it.

On the other side, she casts around for Celestia, already fishing one of her concoctions out of her bag. If she has a chance to save the other girl, she's going to take it.

Okay, it goes like this.

Clara activates Electrodash as a free action. This lets her make a Sprint as a Swift Action, boosting her Overland from 5 to 7. From her position to the barrier is 3. A High Jump is her attempt to get over the barrier - she has a base High Jump 1 from the running start, and will make an Acrobatics check to try and raise that (I'm guessing the walls are probably more than a meter high). That takes I'm guessing 2 out of her movement, plus another 2 to actually cross the wall (she ought to end up in that little corner there, a movement from K8 to I think L3). If she makes it over and is then adjacent to Celestia, she'll use a Potion on her. Whew!

The basic idea is Clara is using her powers to make herself fast enough to try and heal Celestia before she bleeds out, which is what she's afraid she's doing.

Acrobatics:

EDIT: Scratch that roll, it just occurred to me that Clara is totally spending an AP to add +1 to the check. [roll]3d6+2

Tybar
2014-05-31, 06:54 AM
Marcus, seeing what she's doing, yells to Clara for some extra inspiration. Go!

He pats the little brown on the head. Courage is a good name.

He turns to the rest, shaking his head. A few of us are light-touched too?

Using Let Me Help You With That on Clara's roll, if applicable.
Not applicable :smalleek:

Arcran
2014-05-31, 10:59 AM
Despite Clara's best efforts the ice wall is just too high and, despite trying to pull herself over, the ice is too slick and Clara ends up at the bottom of the wall, her dog pulling itself from under the tree to come nuzzle her, the dog's fur standing straight on end as Clara touches her.

Marcus' dog yips happily at the name, likely oblivious to what just happened.

carnackiArdent
2014-05-31, 10:02 PM
Defeated by the slick ice wall, Clara darts to the side, trying to get around the barriers they erected - but it will take longer, and longer still because her unnatural speed is already fading. Her hair stops sparking, though it still stands on end, and she's back down to a normal speed. Anyone paying attention to her expression will see she's already looking more worried than determined, fearing that the delay will cost her her chance.

I should have gone around the other side, not wasted time with the wall. She's going to be gone and it's all my fault...

Just for clarity, by "to the side" around the barriers I mean she's going to the west. She's not going all the way around the hidey-tree.

Arcran
2014-06-01, 03:58 AM
Traveling around the barriers is quicker than one would expect, especially for somebody who was in a fight for their life.

However, the sight that greets Clara on the other side of the wall is not pretty. Celestia was on the ground, forearms destroyed; perhaps she had tried to shield herself with them? A leg was torn as well, likely caught as she continued to flee. The ground around her is covered with a fine sheet of ice, the blood forming in eerie drops all across it. Perfect, round drops.

At first Clara hopes that, well, there is hope but turning Celestia over quickly reveals that is not the case. Her entire torso is covered in blood, all red and sticky. The smell of blood, too similar to pennies for ones taste, hangs heavy in the air. The source of the blood is made readily apparent. Celestia's entire throat is gone, torn out by vicious fangs. The eyes are cold, dead and lifeless, staring straight at you with a look of pure terror yet, somehow, peace.

Next to her, Clara's dog begins to lap up some of the blood droplets on the ice.

MrE
2014-06-01, 05:43 AM
Juliet stepped away from the retreating wolves, and wiped her sword on the beast's fur. But her brief respite was interrupted by Clara speeding past, somehow leaping the wall, and with her air standing on end. Juliet stepped away in shock, and didn't need Marcus to articulate her thoughts.

Wait... 'us'... Juliet turned to Marcus with a suspicious eye. She suddenly felt as though everything she had been struggling with these last weeks was coming up at once. Celestia had been touched, Toby was, apparently Clara too and maybe Marcus as well. Maybe they'd all been chosen for their powers. Maybe they were all touched and Arron had sent them out here to die?

Juliet carefully stepped away from Marcus as she considered what they might do now. She wasn't ready to show them what she could do, not with Wes there, who'd already proven him less than accepting of others.

And if Arron intended them to die then she would prove him wrong.

"Marcus, are you Touched as well?" He had taken blows that would have felled her and stood strong, perhaps that was a clue.

Tybar
2014-06-01, 07:54 AM
Marcus pets his dog, glancing at Wes, then nods slightly, tugging off his gloves to reveal grey fingernails, and his hat, revealing his hair turned grey.

I am. He says as his skin flashes for a moment to steel. It helps in a fight.

MrE
2014-06-01, 10:27 AM
And clearly dangerous, if that last sentence was anything to go by.

Juliet shook herself out of her panic and nodded. "Well lucky for us, I guess. I'm going to go and check on Clara." Juliet jogs after Clara, trying to follow where the girl had gone. She was cautious, more cautious even than she would normally have been: both Clara and Celestia were a lot more than they let on, and that was a sobering thought.

carnackiArdent
2014-06-01, 10:29 AM
Clara finally just slumps against the side of the ice wall and starts crying. It's too late. It would have been too late even if she'd made it over the wall to begin with, even with her powers. For once, she can't think of anything she could have done to fix this... but that doesn't stop her from blaming herself.

If anybody comes back around the wall looking for her, they'll find her with her head on her knees, the still-full bottle of medicine lying where she dropped it.

The Grim Author
2014-06-02, 12:47 AM
Sinclair paused. "Us", he said... does that mean... should I...

He cleared his throat. "I... uh... well, that is... It's not... really... argyria." He scratched at a particularly large silver-blue patch on his right arm. It felt a little drier than it had the last morning. Before anyone else could say anything, he went and grabbed Goldie before walking over to the still-unconscious first wolf. Carefully, he looked it over. "...still going to try taming this one. Even if it does take a little..." And then it hit him. Celestia had stopped screaming. "...that's not a good omen."

Tybar
2014-06-02, 08:17 AM
No, no it is not.

Marcus makes sure the area is secure, and checks out the situation with Celestia, slowly, and with his sword sheathed, in case anyone worries.

Hefty Lefty
2014-06-02, 06:02 PM
The blacked-out, barely breathing Wes eventually comes to, but moves little but his eyelids without feeling the burning pain. He'd scream if he could, but each breath is like inflating a balloon inside of a hive of needles; Wes has broken ribs before, and he's sure he has again. The boy groans statically, and cuts from his face and lips seep with blood. A few more seconds under the wolves' paws and he wouldn't look much better than Celestia. He raises an already-purple bruised forearm to lift himself up, but a sharp tinge in his back stops that quickly. Wes is able to see a bit to his sides; the vision of his friends casually standing affirms in him a small sense of safety. Four red legs pop into his peripherals, and he wheezes a sigh of relief. "Easy... ack.." he croaks, "Peasy... Right, gang?"

carnackiArdent
2014-06-04, 03:41 PM
Clara buries her fingers in her dog's fur for a moment, taking a little comfort in the soft feeling. After a few moments, she finally registers the presence of Juliet and Marcus and looks up at them, red-eyed. "She's gone. I-I'm sorry..."

She bites her lip, trying not to start crying again. She knows they're going to have to keep going, but it's hard. After a moment, she realizes something and gives a weak chuckle. "I guess my secret's out now, huh?"

Tybar
2014-06-04, 10:02 PM
Marcus puts a steel hand on her shoulder. Mine too.

He looks at Juliet, and back at the others. Are we cool?

MrE
2014-06-05, 12:25 PM
Juliet knelt down with Clara and covered her face with her hands. She hadn't known Celestia well, but the girl had actually fought, and proven herself a hero. Not again! I can't lose anymore! Juliet raged inwardly.

"It's alright Clara," she said, trying and failing to sound strong. "We should get back to the others." Juliet had never seen the sense in burial, having been too young to understand the human convention when she was young. "She was a hero. She saved us." Juliet didn't have a way with words, and that seemed like enough to honour the girl.

Hefty Lefty
2014-06-05, 12:47 PM
Wes carefully picks himself up off the forest floor. The sharp pains send shivers through his extremities, but after the first inital impact, he believes he can manage it - for the time being, at least. For the first few seconds of his regained consciousness he believed he was seeing and hearing things, but a look around the battlefield reveals he has missed quite a lot.

Wolves, bloodied and beaten, lay on the ground in lumps. None of the dogs seem to be too harmed, as with the humans, aside from Celestia who is out of sight. The most unexpected facet of his surroundings, however, is the massive wall of ice that simply does not belong in this climate, and had no earthly way of getting there. Wes tilts his head to either side to produce sharp clicking noises, then stretches his bruised right arm in and out, doing the same. "What the... how... she made this?" He slowly steps across the clearing to put his hand on the wall. It's cold. It's real. Looking through the transparent frozen wall he sees the lone casualty of the fight, and suddenly Juliet's words make sense.

The boy carefully takes off his backpack, and reaches for a few select items: a large roll of athletic bandage tape and a semi-transparent blue water bottle. He unscrews the top to the bottle and drinks over half its divine liquid like it's the first water he's seen in weeks. Instantly the water helps soothe the pain in his sore, cut lips and face, and with that small bit of renewed strength, he starts unravelling the tape to wrap around his sore arm. As he applies the bandage, Wes notices Champ's limp, and pauses for a moment. This little guy must'a saved my life. Looks like he's hurt bad, too. He secures the bandage around his arm with a small metal clip, then crouches down next to the pup, offering rest of the bandage roll in one hand and the open bottle of water in the other. "Hey Champ, want a drink?"

Bandages: 1 used out of 3.
Enriched Water: 1 used out of 1. (Ideally I'm just feeding Champ a bit for RP purposes, then will consume the rest for its full effect.)

carnackiArdent
2014-06-07, 12:10 AM
"Yeah..." Whether she's agreeing to Celestia being a hero, or to needing to get back to the others, or even to Marcus's question, isn't entirely clear. Probably both. Clara pushes her glasses up to her forehead for a moment to scrub at her eyes, trying to wipe away the tears.

She pats Marcus's steel hand gingerly for a moment - wincing at a sudden spark of static she can't quite stop - and scratches her dog's head lightly. "Come on, Caramel," she murmurs, hoping to get the puppy used to its new name. "Time to get up, I guess."

She takes a deep breath as she gets to her feet, shaking her head. "So that's, what, you, me, and Celestia? Almost half of us." She missed the conversation about powers that was taking place while she rushed to Celestia, too distracted by her worry and her efforts to get past the wall - and she somehow even managed to miss Toby and his shadow trick. After a moment she runs her hand through her hair - still standing on end - and asks, "Anybody see where my hat landed?"

MrE
2014-06-07, 07:01 AM
"Toby and Sinclair," Juliet muttered, feeling guilty for ratting out her companions whilst lying about her own powers. Then glancing around to check that Wes wasn't around, muttered to Clara: "And me. But please don't tell anyone." She would probably have to tell Toby now, to be fair, but Clara had proven she was caring even about someone like Celestia they didn't know.

The sheer number of them with powers made Juliet consider all over again if this was some plot by Arron, but she dismissed it. Leading Marcus and Clara back to the others she looked at Wes, lying in a heap: seemingly he had come off worse than even she had (and she could still feel the damage beast's teeth had done to her leg). "Can you walk Wes?" she asked. "I won't be fast, but I think we need to get going and keep heading towards the dam. We don't want them to come back after all."

Tybar
2014-06-07, 01:03 PM
Marcus frowns. Yeah, and going back may be difficult. We should talk before that.

He helps Wes up, not bothering to hide his condition around his friend either. Steady. I can support you.

Arcran
2014-06-10, 12:33 AM
Champ eagerly laps up some of the water. While he isn't injured, it seems the taste of the strange water the camp has is superior to whatever is in the wilderness.

On Wes, however, the water has a much more profound effect. As an athlete he had always heard the benefits of hydration, of how without hydration you can't preform. What he hadn't heard of was how hydration seemed to be able to dull pain. After drinking the water his wounds felt better somehow, as if they weren't quite as deep.

The woods are silent except for the party. Nothing seemed to be stirring.

If you guys decide whether to continue or stay we can continue the adventure!

MrE
2014-06-10, 01:48 AM
With the group assembled and aware of the loss of one of their number, Juliet decided they needed to have some sort of direction. "You all want to push on, right?" she asked the group, "We still have a mission, for the protection of those back at camp. I won't consider turning around, not yet."

Tybar
2014-06-10, 06:43 AM
Marcus nods. "We should. No matter what Aron may think of us, the camp needs this.

He finally lets his skin go back to normal, and gives a brief smile to Clara. Thanks for being cool with this.

Hefty Lefty
2014-06-10, 08:15 AM
Wes uses a strong hand from Marcus to help him up. With the fast-acting healing powers of the water, the boy doesn't pay much attention to the changing affects of the skin of some of his party members. After the dog takes its share, the dehydrated Wes quickly downs the rest of water. Then, he turns his attention to Champ.

"Hold still buddy," Wes advises, unravelling a long string of tape with his left hand, "We need ta take care'a that leg." If the dog obeys, its trainer will apply the athletic tape as best it can to the animal.

1 Bandage used, 1 remaining.

After the process is complete, Wes feels much better and nods heartily in response to Juliet. "Hell yeah, let's keep movin'." He gawks again at the pack of slain wolves. "Y'all kicked some serious ass. If that wasn't gonna stop us, nothing will."

Arcran
2014-06-10, 11:20 AM
Champ sat still, patiently allowing Wes to bind his leg slowly. While the bandage job is certainly not perfect it should certainly help Champ to be able to walk with a bit more regularity. He licks Wes' hand happily, clearly overjoyed by the care Wes is giving him.

carnackiArdent
2014-06-11, 01:03 AM
Clara's eyes are still red, but she nods. "We've still got a job to do. Whatever happens... I just want to make sure everyone is safe. Well, as safe as anything is these days."

The fact that everyone in this group but Wes is confirmed to have powers now... well, she'll deal with the realization on her own time. Frankly, knowing she isn't alone in this helps, all on its own. With her piece said, she wanders over back to the southern edge of the clearing and picks up her cap, fitting it over her head and tucking her hair into it again.

MrE
2014-06-11, 04:15 AM
Juliet nods then stooped and stroked Ghost. Her wounded leg wasn't so bad, especially after Sinclair's help, but she didn't really fancy looking at it. She let her trouser leg cover it and turned to the rest. "Ready to keep going? Do we still know where we are?" It wouldn't do to get lost in their haste to leave the clearing.

Tybar
2014-06-11, 08:05 AM
Marcus looks around. Not sure. I don't think we're far from where we left the path.

He pets Courage again, and makes sure his gear is secure, cleaning off his sword and inspecting it once more. His own wounds are minor, and he doesn't comment on them.

carnackiArdent
2014-06-12, 10:47 PM
Clara feels a little guilty about having managed not to get injured at all, since Wes and Champ were holding the wolves' attention in front of her and the general resistance scared the pack off around the point when they would have become an issue for her. Of course, she's got a lot more she's feeling guilty about right now.

She scoops up Caramel in her arms. Fluffy dogs are soothing. "It's not like we don't leave a trail." Clara doesn't know a whole lot about tracking, but getting back to the path seems like it ought to be easy. "And, I mean, even if we don't find the path itself, we'll still hit the river if we walk the right way long enough, right?"

MrE
2014-06-13, 04:20 AM
"Sure," Juliet replied, without having a clue. As the group started moving she joined the middle of the group, not wanting to lead with her injured leg, and not wanting to fall too far behind if she couldn't match the group's pace.

Tybar
2014-06-13, 08:23 AM
With Juliet in the middle, Marcus moves to the front, sword on his hip, keeping an eye out and listening to the others.

Hefty Lefty
2014-06-13, 05:08 PM
Now that time has been spent after the battle, and Wes has allowed his adrenaline to recede, he can feel the pain remerging all over his body. While before the injuries were sharp and searing, his arm, ribs, and body is sore and stiff all over. It certainly doesn't grant him any confidence in continuing the journey. But his dog does. If he can shake off these wounds, so can I!

His traveling party spurs him forward, too, simply by not allowing him to stop. Just as he screws the water bottle back on (after draining the last of its beautiful healing goodness), Clara, Marcus, Juliet, and the rest of started to make a course for the trail once more. All right Wes, the boy gives himself a mental pep talk, Rub some dirt in it! Get back in the game!

Arcran
2014-06-13, 11:44 PM
Grim and Kiwi are NPCs until such a time as they decide they want to post.

As the group leaves the clearing where they had lost one of their own the forest is once again eerily quite save for the occasional interruption of water dripping from a high up tree.

The travel is uneventful for the majority of the day. While there is the occasional rustling that forces the party into a defensive formation, weapons drawn, nothing ever comes of the assaults. Keeping to the river is easy enough. Oddly enough, all the occasional scurrying seems to come from the near side of the river; hardly a move is heard from the other side.

Soon enough the roots and bushes of the forest begin to be replaced by what was once an asphalt road. The years have not been kind though and roots and undergrowth push through the cracks. While useless as a road for automobiles it does serve to make travel far quicker.

As the group continues their trek they catch sight of an old, faded metal sign.

Granite Creek

The signpost is nowhere to be seen, likely either rotted away or simply moved in all the time. As the group continues they soon come across a small bridge. While you would assume it is made of stone a small fact makes that extremely difficult to discern: the entire bridge is covered with what looks like webbing.

Spider web, caterpillar silk, whatever it is it's extremely stringy and seems to all but have carpeted the two-lane bridge. Looking into the forest behind similar webbing can be easily discerned, simply not in the same quantities. Some strands are easily a foot across, hanging between trees like great cables that seem to buzz and shake. Small, cocoon like constructs hang from them, webbing hanging from their mouths as well.

The broken road is still just discernible through the cords and the trees, but only just. If you want to continue on the road you have no choice but to go through the woods. You could still reach North Bend by staying on this side of the river but it would mean foregoing the road and adding at least an hour or two of trekking through the wilderness. Of course, there is a small mitigating factor.

On the bridge, squirming and writhing, is a shape about the size of a human child. The sounds it makes are nearly silent, hardly audible through the thick net of webbing covering the creature.

While the hunters rarely speak of them you know of small, worm-like beasts that hunt in great swarms. They lay down dangerous webs that, while they don't trap travelers, do manage to alert them of the presence of travelers.

While barely noticeable within the mass of webs, there appears to be multiple thin strands of web running from the writhing mass on the bridge to the cocoons.

Tybar
2014-06-14, 12:17 AM
Marcus glances around, noting the way the strands connect. "The thing on the bridge is connected to those cocoons, maybe an alarm?"

He readies his sword, ready to solidify his skin at a moment's notice.

MrE
2014-06-14, 06:17 AM
Juliet slowly edged closer to the bridge, trying to get a better idea about what was in the webbing. The recent loss of Celestia still hung heavily on her and she was determined to set things right. She knew the trapped creature might be a Light-touched monster, but if it was a child, she would save it.

"Can anyone tell what is in the web? Is it a person? Or some sort of Light-touched thing?" Juliet whispered as she got nearer, then raised her voice and called to the thing on the bridge: "It's alright. Don't struggle, we're here to help. Are you a human?"

Charm, if necessary: [roll0]

carnackiArdent
2014-06-15, 02:26 AM
Clara didn't spot the threads at all, as usual, and frankly has absolutely no idea what kind of monster she ought to be expecting. "Anybody know what hunts like this?" she whispers, edging closer to the bridge. "Some kind of giant spider or something?"

She thinks it must be a colony of something or other, just because of how different all the strands are, and just how much webbing there is. At least, if one monster did all this, she's sure it could devour the camp whole.

Hefty Lefty
2014-06-15, 05:45 PM
An exasperated gasp causes a high-pitched wheezing noise as wind scrapes against the rough inside of Wes' injured ribs and throat. "Sh*t son, don't go in there," he puts a hand on Marcus' sword hand, "That kid is f*cked, nothin' we can do." Wes doesn't stray far from the group as he checks out the forest path disregarding the webbed bridge. "I ain't about to be spider chow. No way."

Arcran
2014-06-15, 08:52 PM
Of all those present it is Clara, the one nearly stepping upon the webbing that manages to hear the plea of the webbed creature. Well, hear is a bit of a misnomer. Can you hear what is in your head? It soon spread to the others, but Clara is the first to feel the presence.

Yes. Well, no, not technically human. But close enough! the voice says directly into Clara's consciousness. While you'd expect a mental voice to be rather flat, this one carries a surprising amount of emotion.