PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Ways to Negate/Impair Divine Spellcasting

BearSwarm
2014-04-17, 02:12 AM
What are some ways divine spell casting can be negated or in some way impaired? The character I'm working on isn't a big fan of the gods and is looking for ways to spite their followers. The closest I could come is the Quell out of Libis Mortis, however those might not fit thematically so I'm looking for other ideas.

nolongerchaos
2014-04-17, 03:16 AM
The spell Evil Weather from BoVD can cause violet rain, which in turn prevents divine spellcasting, however it is an 8th level Corrupt spell with a 1 hour casting time, so it's not all that easy to just throw out there.

A_S
2014-04-17, 05:42 AM
The spell Evil Weather from BoVD can cause violet rain, which in turn prevents divine spellcasting, however it is an 8th level Corrupt spell with a 1 hour casting time, so it's not all that easy to just throw out there.
Unless you're an Arcane Archer, in which case you can toss it around as a standard action via Imbue Arrow.

Komatik
2014-04-17, 05:51 AM
Ur-Priests are fun, I hear.

Crake
2014-04-17, 06:24 AM
If you're good and your enemy is evil Morality Undone (http://dndtools.eu/spells/fiendish-codex-i-hordes-of-the-abyss--66/morality-undone--1152/) will temporarily turn the subject evil, making them unable to cast spells, since they are no longer within 1 step of their deity as a standard action, 5th level spell.

ShurikVch
2014-04-17, 07:09 AM
Corrupter (http://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/classes/alternate/corrupter.shtml) can Rebuke divine magic: makes a Turn Check & Turn Damage rolls as a Cleric three levels lower. Casters that are “Turned” cannot cast Divine spells for 1 minute. If “Destroyed”, the caster cannot cast Divine spells for 24 hours. Either effect is canceled if the Corrupter (but not his/her allies) attack the target –or– the target receives an Atonement spell.

Also, there are Athar faction from Planescape. They are very anti-divine. Associated PrCs are Defiant (Planar Handbook) and Athar (from Dragon #287)

The most radical solution is to call some Elder Evil. The Hulks of Zoretha and Zargon the Returner are callable by a normal caster using Greater Planar Binding pre-epic, while the Aspect of Sertrous and Father Llymic can be called using the spell Implore (Dragon Magazine #336).

Graypairofsocks
2014-04-17, 07:37 AM
In one adventure on the WotC website there is something called black rain(or similar) which messes with divine spell casting.

I don't know if the adventure is still on their website though.

Edit:

Found the adventure, but the pdf is no longer downloadable: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20020427a

It is probably downloadable from the internet archive though.

Chronos
2014-04-17, 08:06 AM
Most of the Elder Evils mess with divine spellcasting in some way or another. They tend to have unpleasant side effects, though.

Telonius
2014-04-17, 08:09 AM
Sunder their Divine Focus. This can be overcome by Summon Holy Symbol (from Complete Champion) but not every Cleric is going to have that one prepared.