PDA

View Full Version : Chain spell and Fell drain order of saving throw

heavyfuel
2014-04-17, 08:07 AM
Hey guys, I was wondering how would the saving throws work for a Chained Fell Drain Sunstroke

For those not familiar with the spell, it's a 1st level druid spell that deals 2d6 non-lethal damage and allows a fortitude st to not become fatigued

So, if i were to apply the metamagic above, how would it play out?

Let's assume 2 targets both with fortitude and reflex of 6 and evasion, as well as a spell DC of 16.

The first target would roll 2 fort st, with a 16 dc to avoid fatigue, but since each hit is also a negative level, it would become gradually more difficult. So he would have to roll at least 10 and then an 11 for the second time. No reflex save for him. Am i right so far?

The second target would now make a reflex st for half the 2d6 damage at a dc 16 (needs a 10). If he fails, he takes full damage and receives a negative level and NOW makes a fortitude dc 12 (needing a 7 because his fort is now 5).

Or do I make the fortitude saving throw first? Because the fortitude st avoids fatigue, if he failed it, the reflex save would be more difficult due to the dexterity penalty. So now he would need to pass a fortitude dc 12 with a 6 on the die instead of a seven, but if he failed he would need an 11 on the reflex die to avoid the damage and consequently the negative level.

Which one is it?

snailgosh
2014-04-17, 08:13 AM
I think read somewhere that under simultaneous effects the victim can choose the saving order most beneficial to him, but I need to find the source to be sure.

heavyfuel
2014-04-17, 10:09 AM
I think read somewhere that under simultaneous effects the victim can choose the saving order most beneficial to him, but I need to find the source to be sure.

The only rule I know regarding the most beneficial order is when applying resistance and weakness to energy damage. I really never read any rule regarding STs, which is why I'm asking

heavyfuel
2014-04-17, 02:51 PM
Can anyone give a piece of the rules that helps me decide the proper order? Thanks!