PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Homebrew Feat + Spell

Spore
2014-04-17, 08:27 AM
Hi guys,

so my DM made this homebrew feat where I can sacrifice Constitution points from an helpless victim for an equivalent of 1.000 GP of ritual costs per Con point for spells like Planar Binding. Now your average Goblin in the Beastiary 1 has Con 12 and is worth a net of 12.000 GP for rituals but costs a fraction of that on the Drow slave market.

My question is quite simple:

In your opinion does the mortal soul of a goblin suffice to get the service of a Glabrezu for 16 days (CL 16, sorcerer casting)? It seems kind of a puny sacrifice But then again an immortal soul vs. 16 days of service? nice for him, I guess. I know this depends on the DM but if he wrote the spell specifically as 1000 GM per Con damage, what do you think?

In an added note: I KNOW this demon will try and betray or destroy me with newfound secrets if I abuse him or look at him funny. But then again, a CR 12 demon is no threat to a sorcerer 16.

Thorvaldr
2014-04-17, 08:43 AM
I think 1,000 GP per 1 CON sounds a bit high. Forget the goblin, you could sacrifice a cat (which has 10 CON) and get 10,000 GP worth of sacrifice. A toad would be worth 11,000 GP.

I think if you base it off a mental stat that would be better. Possibly some amount of GP per lowest mental stat. (As we're talking about a soul, I think mental stats might make more sense anyways.) And I think it should be the lowest stat, as having a sub-par component can really bring down the rest of the whole. Taking a smartphone for instance:

If my phone has the fastest processor with the best screen, but only 128MB of RAM... well, it's not worth that much to me. The lowest spec is the bottleneck in the total quality. I could possibly make the same argument for a soul.

Using the above, a toad would be worth 1,000 GP, a cat 2,000 GP, and a goblin 6,000 GP, which is starting to sound more balanced to me.

At least my $0.02. It's a cool feat idea though, definitely adds some cool flavor.

Tarqiup Inua
2014-04-17, 09:16 AM
Hi guys,

so my DM made this homebrew feat where I can sacrifice Constitution points from an helpless victim for an equivalent of 1.000 GP of ritual costs per Con point for spells like Planar Binding. Now your average Goblin in the Beastiary 1 has Con 12 and is worth a net of 12.000 GP for rituals but costs a fraction of that on the Drow slave market.

My question is quite simple:

In your opinion does the mortal soul of a goblin suffice to get the service of a Glabrezu for 16 days (CL 16, sorcerer casting)? It seems kind of a puny sacrifice But then again an immortal soul vs. 16 days of service? nice for him, I guess. I know this depends on the DM but if he wrote the spell specifically as 1000 GM per Con damage, what do you think?
It says that 1 point of Con is equivalent to 1000 GP of ritual costs. I doubt it says anything about the costs associated with negotiations that follow the casting. I have doubts any self-respecting outsider will find such offer too tempting. Having a lowly goblin with no perspective sell its soul can't be too much more difficult than serving a needy sorcerer for 16 days.

In an added note: I KNOW this demon will try and betray or destroy me with newfound secrets if I abuse him or look at him funny. But then again, a CR 12 demon is no threat to a sorcerer 16.
I bet the fantasy Hell is full of souls of characters who said something like that at one point or another. :P

grarrrg
2014-04-17, 09:24 AM
The closest comparison is the Blood Money (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blood-money) spell.
That only gets you 500g per 1 point of STR damage to yourself.
Your DM's version appears MUCH better. Getting a better monetary return AND being able to inflict the damage on an unwilling victim.

But Blood Money is a 1st level spell. What level of spell requirements does your DM's version have?

LTwerewolf
2014-04-17, 09:39 AM
They said it was a feat, not a spell. I'd probably make it a spell. Anyhow I'd base it off of Cha, and drop the price down to 250 per. Charisma is force of personality and force of will, so it makes sense that it would mean more as a soul than con, which is null once the creature dies.

Keneth
2014-04-17, 12:55 PM
There are actually rules already in Pathfinder for sacrifices and offerings.

Some you can find in the Binding Outsiders (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/variant-magic-rules/binding-outsiders) section. You might also be interested in soul trade (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/daemons#TOC-The-Soul-Trade).

For more general sacrifices see the sacrifice (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/sacrifice) spell.

You'll note that permanent ability drain on the caster is worth only 500 gp. So having a feat that lets you drain Con from a helpless target for twice that is excessive.

Spore
2014-04-17, 03:26 PM
What level of spell requirements does your DM's version have?

Getting two feats (one substitutes Eschew Materials, the other prereq CL 5) and one spell on Lv 4. And he told me it's 2 Con per 1000 GP. Still a steal. You can even metamagic for 1 Con damage on yourself instead of increasing spell levels. For non-good spells only though.